Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Where did all the sitcoms go?

When I was little you could watch sitcoms for hours starting at 8pm on NBC, ABC and CBS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 11, 2024 8:03 PM

Reality shows are cheaper to produce, and the sheep settle for less and watch them anyway

by Anonymousreply 1February 11, 2024 6:25 AM

Sitcoms are outdated.

by Anonymousreply 2February 11, 2024 6:37 AM

Games shows are also cheaper to produce. If there were more Westerns on broadcast TV, I'd feel like I was reliving the 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 3February 11, 2024 8:07 AM

People stopped watching them OP. The sitcom genre has run it's course like R2 said.

by Anonymousreply 4February 11, 2024 8:24 AM

I’m in the UK and it’s exactly the same here. Back when I was growing up in the 80’s and 90’s there were so many great sitcoms (along with, admittedly, reams of bad ones that never lasted more than few episodes).. I still actually rewatch some of them, some favourites being Father Ted, Frasier, One Foot in the Grave, Keeping up Appearances, Allo Allo and the It Crowd. Now—nothing. I think it’s partly lack of writing talent now and partly the whole live audience approach/ laughter track makes them seem dated. The recent Frasier revival felt antiquated with its overload whooping audience track. Plus, it was fairly poorly written.

One show I do enjoy is Young Sheldon (unlike its parent show which believed its own hype and long outstayed its welcome). it’s single camera and not filmed in front of a studio audience which makes it feel less sitcom-y.

by Anonymousreply 5February 11, 2024 8:56 AM

Humor is passé, OP. The young have killed it dead.

by Anonymousreply 6February 11, 2024 9:35 AM

Wokeism and DEI have made comedy nearly impossible. Married with Children would be just as popular today as it was in the 80s but corporate TV would never greenlight it. Social media has set us back 100 years as far as creative freedom and envelop pushing go. A small but loud minority of people can wield disproportionate influence on Hollywood. The religious right of Teri Rakolta and woke lefty Gen Zers have more in common than they think.

by Anonymousreply 7February 11, 2024 10:31 AM

[quote]you could watch sitcoms for hours starting at 8pm on NBC, ABC and CBS.

You could watch nothing else. That was it. Add PBS and an old movie channel if you had advanced viewing tastes.

Add the whole thing was over with by 11.00.

Why do people pine for a menu of three shitty old shows for a three hour period every night?

by Anonymousreply 8February 11, 2024 10:36 AM

[quote]Married with Children would be just as popular today as it was in the 80s but corporate TV would never greenlight it.

No it wouldn't. It (and shows like Roseanne and the Simpsons) were a much needed reaction to decades of Leave it to Beaver/My Three Sons/ Brady Bunch/Cosby Show sitcoms and when it came out it was shocking and unheard of.

by Anonymousreply 9February 11, 2024 10:47 AM

r9 I disagree. It would be a reaction to the PC nonsense of today. Plus they were actually funny and punched both up and down.

by Anonymousreply 10February 11, 2024 6:42 PM

Television genres inevitably become dated with time, like the Western and the variety show. The sitcom had a longer run than most.

by Anonymousreply 11February 11, 2024 8:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!