Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Trump says he would encourage Russia to attack Nato countries who don’t pay ‘bills’

On Saturday, Trump claimed that during an unspecified Nato meeting he told a fellow head of state that the US under his leadership would not defend any countries who were “delinquent”. “One of the presidents of a big country stood up and said, ‘Well, sir, if we don’t pay, and we’re attacked by Russia, will you protect us?’” Trump said, adding “I said, ‘You didn’t pay, you’re delinquent?’”

“No, I would not protect you. In fact, I would encourage them to do whatever the hell they want. You got to pay. [bold]You got to pay your bills[/bold].”

Though some doubted whether the conversation in question even took place, Trump’s remarks quickly raised alarm among many political pundits in the US. “Sounds as if Trump is kind of encouraging Russia to attack our Nato allies,” David Corn – an MSNBC analyst and the Washington DC bureau chief of Mother Jones – said on X. Meanwhile, conservative political commentator Alyssa Farah Griffin said Trump’s comments were “music” to the ears of Russian leader Vladimir Putin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 13, 2024 4:40 AM

Ironic. He's famed for not paying his own bills.

by Anonymousreply 1February 11, 2024 2:42 AM

Ladies and gentlemen, your next President.

by Anonymousreply 2February 11, 2024 3:55 AM

Sounds good to me.

by Anonymousreply 3February 11, 2024 3:57 AM

What a guy: “No, I would not protect you. In fact, I would encourage them to do whatever the hell they want. You got to pay. You got to pay your bills.”

Anyway, without the United States, the population of NATO is 624 million. And they couldn't stop Russia?

by Anonymousreply 4February 11, 2024 4:15 AM

We should start expelling all of the MAGAts to Russia.

I'm sure they would love it there.

by Anonymousreply 5February 11, 2024 4:25 AM

And his idiot cultists probably cheered.

God, MAGAts are a plague upon humanity

by Anonymousreply 6February 11, 2024 4:37 AM

He's a cheap thug.

by Anonymousreply 7February 11, 2024 4:38 AM

No one who has declared bankruptcy should be telling anyone anything about finances, unless they are going to simply say: "Don't be me.".

by Anonymousreply 8February 11, 2024 4:40 AM

I like this bit:

[italic]"Though some doubted whether the conversation in question even took place"...[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 9February 11, 2024 4:42 AM

The man is visibly sick. He’s not really running for President. Look at him, if you told me he was undergoing chemo, I’d believe it.

by Anonymousreply 10February 11, 2024 4:42 AM

Frankly I think at this point Gavin Newsom could win just by the side by side comparison

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 11, 2024 4:46 AM

Dump also said this:

Speaking to thousands of supporters at an event organized by the National Rifle Association (NRA), Trump promised to rescind a rule curbing sales of gun accessories known as pistol braces and other regulations put in place by the Biden administration.

"Every single Biden attack on gun owners and manufacturers will be terminated my very first week back in office, perhaps my first day," Trump said in a speech at the Great American Outdoor show in Harrisburg, the capital of Pennsylvania.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 11, 2024 4:51 AM

I mean that would have probably have been an effective threat 3 years ago. But now we know they're effectively a wet paper tiger good luck with that

by Anonymousreply 13February 11, 2024 5:00 AM

The irony of a man who has persistently not paid his bills whenever he could get away with it (his businesses have filed for bankruptcy no less than six times) saying this...........

I also doubt the conversation happened - it just doesn't ring true that a president of a NATO country would say that because it misunderstands how NATO works.

by Anonymousreply 14February 11, 2024 5:07 AM

I'm honestly surprised that La Cosa Nostra never whacked him for unpaid bills.

by Anonymousreply 15February 11, 2024 5:09 AM

Remember when Kevin McCarthy said Putin pays Trump?

by Anonymousreply 16February 11, 2024 5:10 AM

Also, Trump cannot unilaterally pull the US out of NATO without congressional approval so good luck with that (many Republican senators and reps will not sign up for that).

WaPo Dec 2023:

[quote]Congress this week approved a measure aimed at preventing any U.S. president from unilaterally withdrawing the United States from NATO without congressional approval. Passage came amid long-standing concerns that Donald Trump may try to exit the alliance if he returns to office. The provision was included in the National Defense Authorization Act, an annual bill detailing defense policy, which was passed by the House on Thursday and is awaiting the signature of President Biden. Under the measure, advocated by Sens. Tim Kaine (D-Va.) and Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), the president would be prohibited from withdrawing from NATO without the approval of two-thirds of the Senate or separate legislation passed by Congress.

by Anonymousreply 17February 11, 2024 5:13 AM

donald speaks openly to his one-person audience, Putin.

by Anonymousreply 18February 11, 2024 5:28 AM

Trump is doing his The Wall populist schtick again. Saying stuff that he can't do and his dumb voters eat it up.

by Anonymousreply 19February 11, 2024 5:31 AM

We’re all gonna find out if he can do it or not.

by Anonymousreply 20February 11, 2024 5:35 AM

[quote]We’re all gonna find out if he can do it or not.

I'm 100% sure that he can't if he needs two-thirds of senators to approve it. Even if it was mathematically possible, a lot of senators are pro-military and pro-NATO, not Trumpers. They are not going to vote for it.

Sorry Putin and Putin-lickers. It's not going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 21February 11, 2024 5:39 AM

Nacho Man (1:45:10)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 11, 2024 6:17 AM

R17 that reminded me of Tim Kaine - he and Hillary got more votes in 2016, he looks more palatible to rust belt men than Kamala, and he's a youthful 65. Can we swap him out with Kamala - or Joe, for that matter?

by Anonymousreply 23February 11, 2024 7:01 AM

*palatable

Sorry, it only looked funny after I'd pressed reply.

by Anonymousreply 24February 11, 2024 7:02 AM

R23, I guarantee most people couldn't name Hillary's running mate - I probably couldn't if you hadn't mentioned his name. Totally forgettable.

by Anonymousreply 25February 11, 2024 7:53 AM

R25, he was a total non-entity.

by Anonymousreply 26February 11, 2024 7:54 AM

Russia ain't shit. We really need to be scared of whoever they sold their stolen weapons to. What a garbage people. My biggest disappointment was my DNA test results teeming with Russian

by Anonymousreply 27February 11, 2024 8:04 AM

[quote] Russia ain't shit.

Obama basically said just this and he was right. Russia is nothing more than a regional bully. Their best days are long behind them.

by Anonymousreply 28February 11, 2024 8:07 AM

[quote]“One of the presidents of a big country stood up and said, ‘Well, sir, if we don’t pay, and we’re attacked by Russia, will you protect us?’” Trump said, adding “I said, ‘You didn’t pay, you’re delinquent?’”

I'll bet that was Macron. President of a large country. I'm sure Macron hated Dump.

by Anonymousreply 29February 11, 2024 8:29 AM

This is a good tweet:

[italic]"US Republicans might wish to remember that the only time ever Art 5 of the Nato treaty was invoked was right after 9/11 : allies went on alert to help defend the US - and US civilian and military facilities in Europe and beyond, including airfields, headquarters, embassies, etc.".[/italic]

Then those same countries (including non-NATO allies like Australia) helped the US invade Iraq and Afghanistan based on total lies. And it was an unmitigated disaster...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 11, 2024 8:33 AM

[quote] You got to pay your bills.”

He stiffed a whole bunch of contractors back in his day in the '80s and early '90s. I'm honestly surprised he's still alive.

by Anonymousreply 31February 11, 2024 8:50 AM

[quote]I'm honestly surprised that La Cosa Nostra never whacked him for unpaid bills. AND I'm honestly surprised he's still alive.

There's still time. It's a good time for it right now.

by Anonymousreply 32February 11, 2024 9:05 AM

R32, true. And La Cosa Nostra [bold]NEVER[/bold] forgets. They'll bill you down to every cent and penny, plus interest.

by Anonymousreply 33February 11, 2024 9:13 AM

The Orange Sweetums can have as much of my poosey as he wants. The problem is that ladybugs bitch always stands in the way.

by Anonymousreply 34February 11, 2024 9:32 AM

Whenever Trump is recounting something said to him, the other person is always extremely deferential. They always call him Sir at least once.

by Anonymousreply 35February 11, 2024 10:11 AM

LOL

Sez the swindler who has filed his companies for bankruptcy many times and is notorious for stiffing his lawyers.

by Anonymousreply 36February 11, 2024 10:48 AM

I'll bet you anything Trump received some 'warnings' from some fellas for his unpaid bills. Maybe that's what drove him into the arms of the Russians? Protection in exchange for doing their bidding.

by Anonymousreply 37February 13, 2024 3:58 AM

How about Russia invade Mar-a-Lago for unpaid bills.

by Anonymousreply 38February 13, 2024 4:30 AM

And we gave the nuclear codes to this unspeakable bastard.

by Anonymousreply 39February 13, 2024 4:36 AM

R39, "WE" didn't.

Republicans did.

by Anonymousreply 40February 13, 2024 4:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!