Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

white vs. brown rice

Is brown rice healthier? I thought it was, kind of like wheat bread is healthier than white bread. But I've heard people refer to it as fried rice. If it's fried, then does that mean it's not as healthy as white rice?

by Anonymousreply 40February 12, 2024 7:46 AM

[quote]Is brown rice healthier?

Is this a serious question?

by Anonymousreply 1February 11, 2024 1:14 AM

Brown rice is the slightly better option but “healthy” is a loaded term

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 11, 2024 1:20 AM

Brown Rice has more nutrients and fiber because it is less processed. However brown rice has a higher arsenic content. I suggest you have it in moderation.

by Anonymousreply 3February 11, 2024 1:28 AM

Brown rice is simply white rice with the bran and germ layer still on it, thereby providing more fiber, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. Those who tell you it's fried rice don't know what they're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 4February 11, 2024 1:29 AM

I like the flavor of brown rice usually. It's nuttier.

But i'm not a rice snob. I'm a rice slut and i mix it up, often.

White jasmine rice, brown rice, long grain and short grain rice. All welcome on my table.

Actually, now that i think about it, I do have preferences about which dish should have what type of rice.

That's when you know you're a cook 💋

by Anonymousreply 5February 11, 2024 1:33 AM

My favorite is Forbidden rice.

by Anonymousreply 6February 11, 2024 1:37 AM

r6 do you use it for everything, or is there a particular dish you like it in, and for what reason?

It is a striking grain. I think long grain?

by Anonymousreply 7February 11, 2024 1:43 AM

Wild rice isn’t rice.

by Anonymousreply 8February 11, 2024 1:55 AM

Ching Chong Ching Chong, OP, you nitwit troll.

by Anonymousreply 9February 11, 2024 1:58 AM

Eat your brown rice and vegetables.

And an Evian to wash it all down!

by Anonymousreply 10February 11, 2024 2:02 AM

r2 how did you read that article and infer “slightly”?

[Quote] Which is healthier: Brown rice or white rice? A nutritional tale of the tape provides a clear winner by knockout.

by Anonymousreply 11February 11, 2024 2:14 AM

Brown rice i better for my glycemic index. I only ever cook brown rich when I am having chinese food so yeas, I fry it, and I put Sesame oil and soy sauce on it and it takes on a brownish coloration. But it is delicious. I do vegetable fried rice and it is wonderful. Add shrimp or salmon or basil chicken and you will love it!

by Anonymousreply 12February 11, 2024 2:43 AM

ALL rice is high in arsenic according to an in depth article published in Consumer Reports about 5 years ago and organic rice tends to have even higher levels of arsenic than conventional rice.

One way to reduce the amount of arsenic in the rice you eat - assuming your preparing it at home is to soak it in a bowl of water for a minimum of 30 minutes then drain and wash and cook the rice in far more water than it needs. When cooked you pour out the water and use a mesh strainer to capture the rice- then eat.

by Anonymousreply 13February 11, 2024 2:45 AM

White rice is processed food. Brown rice is unprocessed food which is healthier. Easy peasy.

by Anonymousreply 14February 11, 2024 2:49 AM

What, R13? You rinse the rice a few times, then cook it in an old fashioned rice cooker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 11, 2024 2:52 AM

When I cook brown rice I bring it to a boil and let it cook for a couple minutes then I drain it and rinse it and put fresh water in and bring it to another boil then lower the heat and let it simmer slowly until it's cooked.

by Anonymousreply 16February 11, 2024 3:02 AM

Brown rice tastes like a punishment. My mini rice cooker loves white rice and doesn’t singe as long as I stir occasionally after it starts spitting. Fish and soy sauce in the water gives enough salt. My egg now goes in at the very end.

One toy I would love is a spiked board. I’m slicing tenderloin in a near-frozen state, but i would like it to stay still on the board.

by Anonymousreply 17February 11, 2024 3:10 AM

OP, do you seriously think that fried rice and brown rice are the same thing?

by Anonymousreply 18February 11, 2024 3:34 AM

What about pubic rice?

by Anonymousreply 19February 11, 2024 4:07 AM

When the wealthy Japanese started to polish their rice, stripping away the B vitamin thiamine, previously healthy populations developed the crippling nerve diseases wet and dry Beriberi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 11, 2024 4:25 AM

Gay Carpenter : What do you want?

Nomi Malone : Um, burger, fries, and a soda.

Gay Carpenter : Get her some brown rice, vegetables, and a bottle of Evian.

by Anonymousreply 21February 11, 2024 5:09 AM

I prefer the royal rice blend. White, brown and wild rice together.

by Anonymousreply 22February 11, 2024 8:18 AM

R3 is correct about the report on arsenic. You can check if there is updated info.

A classic diet dish was steamed broccoli, brown rice and skinless chicken breast. Adding a health fat like olive oil or avocado would make it more updated and would be good balance of protein, fiber and carbs.

by Anonymousreply 23February 11, 2024 1:42 PM

Trader Joe sells frozen, cooked brown rice which cuts out the long cooking time (and smell it makes cooking).

by Anonymousreply 24February 11, 2024 1:45 PM

i like the smell r24.

by Anonymousreply 25February 11, 2024 2:56 PM

We love the little brown ones.....

by Anonymousreply 26February 11, 2024 4:37 PM

We don't eat brown.

by Anonymousreply 27February 11, 2024 4:54 PM

Brown rice doesn't taste remotely like white rice. It's not an equal substitution in flavor or texture.

by Anonymousreply 28February 11, 2024 4:57 PM

Avoid white foods-- white flour, white sugar, white rice, white bread, white pasta, etc.

by Anonymousreply 29February 11, 2024 5:18 PM

um, yeah. Brown rice is delicious,

I can't believe people can't distinguish how white and brown rice (and wild rice) would have their uses in cuisine.

are we reverting to stone age/cave man times???

by Anonymousreply 30February 11, 2024 5:26 PM

R30, you probably have people or the experience to make tasty brown rice. I am not in the mood to learn that skill. Rice is just another starch that soaks up excess bean juice for me.

by Anonymousreply 31February 11, 2024 5:30 PM

At the Japanese restaurant on my cruise last year, the teppanyaki chef used brown rice with lots of garlic butter. I loved it. But rice is very filling and I couldn’t eat it all…

by Anonymousreply 32February 11, 2024 5:42 PM

I just don't get how people don't like brown rice for what it is: nutty and robust tasting. I never feel the need to "dress it up"...it's good on its own and its usually what i use for rice.

by Anonymousreply 33February 11, 2024 8:10 PM

[quote]We don't eat brown.

You've had worse things in your mouth.

by Anonymousreply 34February 11, 2024 8:48 PM

R5, don’t forget sticky rice.

by Anonymousreply 35February 11, 2024 8:53 PM

I agree about avoid the white rice etc. I even use b rown rice pasta and it is delicious. Just don't overcook it.

by Anonymousreply 36February 12, 2024 1:15 AM

For people who grew up on and only know white rice, the brown rice seems almost to another grain because it has a different consistency and is not refined, which is what they are used to. I was that way but I learned over 20 years ago the nutritional difference. The only time I have white rice is when that's happens to be the only type of rice available with my meal at a restaurant. Otherwise I always go for brown rice.

by Anonymousreply 37February 12, 2024 1:23 AM

[quote]I just don't get how people don't like brown rice for what it is: nutty and robust tasting.

It’s the texture. It’s like the whole wheat pasta of rice. I will eat it sometimes though just to mix it up.

by Anonymousreply 38February 12, 2024 3:38 AM

grains including white and brown rice ranked by nutritional value

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39February 12, 2024 4:20 AM

I eat a lot of rice. For white, my strong preference is Jasmine Rice and I would eat that anytime when making Chinese or Thai food at home. But for brown, I like the short grain sticky variety. I think brown long grain rice is tougher and drier, for lack of a better adjective. The short grain is excellent added to soups at the last minute, it pairs well with butter and parmesan cheese, it's just fine to go along with a stir fry. I also like brown rice pasta, which does not have the strong (negative) flavor of a whole wheat pasta. In fact, I think its taste and texture is very similar to regular pasta, and is nutritionally superior to it.

by Anonymousreply 40February 12, 2024 7:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!