Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

If Biden drops out after winning primaries

Who chooses the nominee? The party?

by Anonymousreply 36February 11, 2024 1:35 AM

Remember Democrats have Super Delegates. They can shift the vote to whoever they want.

by Anonymousreply 1February 10, 2024 11:39 PM

Seriously, dude. Why don't you worry about your own political party?

by Anonymousreply 2February 10, 2024 11:39 PM

HI BORIS

by Anonymousreply 3February 10, 2024 11:40 PM

So if President Biden were to withdraw, say, this week, there would still be time for other Democrats to get their names on the ballot in some states.

But even if they did, a new entrant in the race would have no way of securing a majority of the delegates at the ballot box.

In that case, the nominee would likely have to be decided at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago in August.

If this were the case, we may see a broad group of presidential hopefuls such as Vice President Kamala Harris and California Governor Gavin Newsom jockeying to convince the more than 4,000 Democratic delegates to give them the nomination.

"If he drops out before the convention, we will have an old-fashioned convention where the delegates essentially get to make up their mind [on whom to vote for] regardless of who they were elected to represent," said elections expert Elaine Kamarck, senior fellow at the Brookings Institution in Washington and a member of the Democratic National Committee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 10, 2024 11:45 PM

It’s tiresome to have a poster called Boris because they asked an intelligent question about how our elections work . I’d like to know because I’m a registered Democrat.

by Anonymousreply 5February 10, 2024 11:49 PM

This is what needs to happen. Biden can drop out before the convention, citing health reasons or some other family reasons, etc. Then the delegates at the convention can nominate someone who can beat Trump. Conventions have become coronations recently but they never used to be like that. People may think it odd, but wtf hasn't been odd about the last 8 years in politics

by Anonymousreply 6February 10, 2024 11:56 PM

1968, all over again. Remember, Humphrey won the nomination without running in a single primary.

by Anonymousreply 7February 11, 2024 12:00 AM

But, as noted, the concept of superdelegates is a more recent party feature. So it would a mix of back room dealing and floor fights. It would be fun to watch, like an extended MMA cage fight.

by Anonymousreply 8February 11, 2024 12:02 AM

This is not about our elections, this is about the inner workings of a political party.

by Anonymousreply 9February 11, 2024 12:06 AM

Would write in candidates count for states where new names cannot be added to the ballot?

by Anonymousreply 10February 11, 2024 12:14 AM

President Biden wasn't my first choice for the candidacy but he was the right choice to restore America on the world stage and move us from the stench of orange.

An extreme leftist candidate would gave been the wrong choice after orange.

President Biden is doing a great job under the circumstances, which remain unprecedented and volatile.

The very people who are directly and indirectly responsible for these circumstances ( tea partiers/ magats) are trying to reach into the Democratic party and remove the president as a candidate. It is absurd. You have poor judgment and you haven't atoned for your stupidity.

I noticed these people are accepting orange as a given and are not insisting that, a candidate who has been sued successfully for assault recuse himself.

You are suspect. Your motives are suspect.

by Anonymousreply 11February 11, 2024 12:20 AM

The Democratic Party shunned Bernie Sanders and labeled him too far to the left, which he isn’t, then adopted some of his proposals. Yes, Biden did try, but right now his foreign policy sucks, and the world is not safer than it was four months ago. anybody who criticizes Biden in the Dems opinion is a disruptor or a Russian plant. Very disappointing. So, give me one reason to vote for a loser…Let’s see whose on the ballot and I’ll decide from there.

by Anonymousreply 12February 11, 2024 12:40 AM

You're worse than a Russian plant, magat

by Anonymousreply 13February 11, 2024 12:41 AM

"Registered Democrat", if you understood anything about this at all, you would know your vote in the primary election is your opinion on the fitness and ability of the incumbent.

by Anonymousreply 14February 11, 2024 12:56 AM

“Tulsi Gabbard was nothing more than a plant. Who are we kidding? She knows borscht better than anyone else this side of the International Date Line.”

by Anonymousreply 15February 11, 2024 12:56 AM

[quote] So, give me one reason to vote for a loser

When's the last time Biden lost an election? Trump, however...

by Anonymousreply 16February 11, 2024 12:57 AM

Biden holds the record for most votes ever received

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 11, 2024 12:59 AM

I’ll give you a reason, his polls are way down, he’s already lost a swing state, and he can’t speak coherently. Either can Trump, but we can do better than that.

by Anonymousreply 18February 11, 2024 1:00 AM

Who the fuck is we. Bernie Sanders, who is also a million years old, is not a registered Democrat. The Democratic party has no obligation to accommodate him.

by Anonymousreply 19February 11, 2024 1:04 AM

[quote] The Democratic Party shunned Bernie Sanders and labeled him too far to the left, which he isn’t

lol. Nice gaslighting.

by Anonymousreply 20February 11, 2024 1:07 AM

That’s not even gaslighting. Just verbal diarrhea.

by Anonymousreply 21February 11, 2024 1:08 AM

What kind of an idiot lets polls decide who to vote for?

by Anonymousreply 22February 11, 2024 1:10 AM

[quote] When's the last time Biden lost an election? Trump, however...

What’s your point?

Biden lost twice, 1988 and 2008. He doesn’t have a good track record.

by Anonymousreply 23February 11, 2024 1:10 AM

It's really something to see you people reach into the Democratic party and interfere. Your party doesn't even exist anymore. Who is responsible for your party's collapse?

You allowed a hard line right winger like Dick Cheney's daughter be voted out of office and replaced by a frightful magat with the face nightmares are made of.

And you think you have the right to say who the Democrats run as a candidate? You don't. Your track record speaks directly to your ability to make sound and good choices.

by Anonymousreply 24February 11, 2024 1:11 AM

And Hillary won magat r23

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 11, 2024 1:12 AM

Keep digging yourself deeper, r23.

by Anonymousreply 26February 11, 2024 1:12 AM

The Democratic Party's "superdelegates" are sort of a wild card. I remember people claiming that Hillary would be able to use the superdelegates to "steal" the nomination from Obama or from Bernie Sanders at the Convention.

by Anonymousreply 27February 11, 2024 1:22 AM

I wish I saw more people who understood that their own personal investment, whatever it might be, isn’t the important thing.

The important thing is Defeat Republicans. Even if, say, a Bernie or a Bernie type is wrongly perceived by a majority of moderates as a loon, the fact is, they vote their perception.

I personally would like a female Democrat to become president. I don’t think a majority does and, hence, I have to go with Biden because he’s the kind of not-Trump that moderates don’t feel they need to worry about. Or at least they didn’t when he was just a tiny bit younger and when we weren’t all familiar with the appearance of his kid’s dick.

This whole idea is why I hate Susan Sarandon so much now. She places a grotesque amount of capital on ideological purity and none at all on the reality of supporting someone the enormous number of moderates want, and for some reason I will never fathom, a lot of people listen to her and think like her.

We don’t live in an all or nothing world. Everything is slightly muddled, or greatly muddled. But near-worst is so much worse than near-perfect.

Go, Joe!

by Anonymousreply 28February 11, 2024 1:23 AM

So strange that a President who has been able to perform in his capacity as POTUS in the most difficult of circumstances, is being told that he doesn't deserve to run again because you say so.

by Anonymousreply 29February 11, 2024 1:27 AM

[quote]a lot of people listen to her

Really, r28, how many? As many as those who listen to Taylor Swift?

by Anonymousreply 30February 11, 2024 1:27 AM

Dude, your vote in the primary election directly expresses your wants, wishes, needs and fears.

Please shut up vote.

by Anonymousreply 31February 11, 2024 1:30 AM

R29

HE’S EIGHTY ONE YEARS OLD!

THIS IS WHAT EIGHTY ONE YEAR OLDS ARE LIKE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 11, 2024 1:30 AM

YOUR FILTHY MAGAT ORANGE IS THE SAME AGE AS PRESIDENT BIDEN.

by Anonymousreply 33February 11, 2024 1:33 AM

[quote] The very people who are directly and indirectly responsible for these circumstances ( tea partiers/ magats) are trying to reach into the Democratic party and remove the president as a candidate.

Nope! You’ll never accept that Democrats have other opinions than yours, will you? You are as bad as the MAGAs you hate.

by Anonymousreply 34February 11, 2024 1:33 AM

R12 = Bernie Sanders

by Anonymousreply 35February 11, 2024 1:34 AM

Your opinion as a quote registered Democrat unquote is directly and fully counted when you cast your vote in the primary election.

by Anonymousreply 36February 11, 2024 1:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!