Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Said goodbye to a foster dog

Sweet Duncan. The transport just picked him up. I am sitting here thinking I made a mistake letting him go. He was such a loving dog despite having spent years chained up outside. I know his new home will be so much better for him- I’m old and still have to work and his new home has kids and a big yard and one of the couple who adopted him works from home full time so he will have plenty of attention which he loves. I try not to get too attached to the fosters but slipped up with this one. Sometimes I think animals have always been my best friends in this life and a new foster comes next week so that will be great. But it won’t be sweet Duncan.

by Anonymousreply 19February 11, 2024 3:34 PM

Rescue?

by Anonymousreply 1February 10, 2024 10:58 PM

You're saving a lot of lives. Tell us about Duncan

by Anonymousreply 2February 10, 2024 11:02 PM

Oh this makes me sad.

OP, You rule.

What a great person.

You make me so happy this evening -

That folks like you exist in this cruel world.

Duncan will be fine. And so will you.

by Anonymousreply 3February 10, 2024 11:09 PM

Thanks, OP--people who foster animals are the best.

by Anonymousreply 4February 10, 2024 11:13 PM

OP, you are amazing, for loving Duncan when he needed it most, and for loving him enough to let him go to a wonderful forever home. And he will never forget you.

by Anonymousreply 5February 10, 2024 11:15 PM

We are all clapping our paws for you, OP!

by Anonymousreply 6February 11, 2024 2:56 AM

It sounds as tho you did the right thing for Duncan. Be proud & remember your time w him will make you an even better foster for the next dog.

by Anonymousreply 7February 11, 2024 3:11 AM

OP you sound like a good person and did the right thing for Duncan.

by Anonymousreply 8February 11, 2024 3:19 AM

Let it be known if it doesn’t work out they can contact you.

by Anonymousreply 9February 11, 2024 2:55 PM

Foster failures are not a good thing. Good for you on toughening out this one. And by now Duncan has already adjusted.

by Anonymousreply 10February 11, 2024 3:00 PM

It’s like a Doctor Who special and you have fostered 33 babies and can’t wait to do it again - until govlins go back in time and steal a special one and you turn into a grouch.

Yeah, jist like that.

by Anonymousreply 11February 11, 2024 3:03 PM

I've thought about doing the foster thing when my old dog finally dies...but I know I'd get too attached. I don't think I could do it. Good for you, OP, for stepping up.

by Anonymousreply 12February 11, 2024 3:05 PM

Regret is an awful feeling. You sound very generous and thoughtful. Try to respect the you who made the decision to let the dog move on. You gave a couple of motivations here.

Right now the pup is having a great adventure. Maybe your work as a rehabilitator is not done, or maybe this one will find his way back to you.

Try to throw yourself into a positive activity today. It’s almost time to start seedlings soon in many regions if you garden.

by Anonymousreply 13February 11, 2024 3:10 PM

It’s almost time to start seedlings soon

Pardon the redundancy ☕️

by Anonymousreply 14February 11, 2024 3:11 PM

R12

It’s not always easy but you do have a different mind set about a foster. And placing dogs in happy homes becomes its own reward. And what’s the worst thing that happens? You end up with another dog.

by Anonymousreply 15February 11, 2024 3:18 PM

R10, why do you say that? No judgment just want to understand.

by Anonymousreply 16February 11, 2024 3:19 PM

Foster failures :-)

As anyone who is involved in fostering knows you want to avoid this. The whole system works, at least as well as it does, because dogs are moved to good homes and the foster person takes in another. And there are always more waiting and waiting and waiting.

And nothing adjusts quicker to a new home than a dog does. And the good thing——the foster person like in this thread , already knows it’s a well vetted good home with references etc that the dog is going to.

by Anonymousreply 17February 11, 2024 3:28 PM

Duncan was an asshole and eats his poop.

by Anonymousreply 18February 11, 2024 3:31 PM

I was so glad to get out of that fucking house. That cat in R18 was driving me nuts.

by Anonymousreply 19February 11, 2024 3:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!