Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

NJ teen with an eye for fashion opens popular vintage clothing store

Danny Colon, 19, of Brielle has opened Electrix Vintage clothing store in Manasquan. He is currently a freshman at Fashion Institute of Technology in NYC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29February 11, 2024 2:20 AM

Vintage- a Katy Perrry tee from 2014.

by Anonymousreply 1February 10, 2024 8:11 PM

QT π

by Anonymousreply 2February 10, 2024 8:13 PM

I was about to say I'd hate to see what's considered vintage these days.

by Anonymousreply 3February 10, 2024 8:15 PM

If he weren't so cute, would we care?

by Anonymousreply 4February 10, 2024 8:15 PM

So, he's gay.

by Anonymousreply 5February 10, 2024 8:15 PM

I loved him in Welcome Back, Kotter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 10, 2024 8:16 PM

R3, Gen Z are all over '90s stylings.

by Anonymousreply 7February 10, 2024 8:16 PM

He has quite a commute to school!

by Anonymousreply 8February 10, 2024 8:17 PM

Danny Colon! Bet that will see some action in the store room.

by Anonymousreply 9February 10, 2024 8:19 PM

I knew his sister, Semi Colon.

by Anonymousreply 10February 10, 2024 8:43 PM

He's adorable. Good for him!

by Anonymousreply 11February 10, 2024 8:45 PM

Fag?

by Anonymousreply 12February 10, 2024 8:46 PM

Not really, R8. He's on a train route into Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 13February 10, 2024 8:56 PM

I can't tell whether kids his age are wearing vintage clothing or current clothing. There doesn't seem to be a really big difference - like, say, 1940s vs 1960s, or 1950s vs 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 14February 10, 2024 8:58 PM

The pants look pretty Goodwill to me, so I’m guessing he’s wearing his merchandise.

He’s adorable, though.

by Anonymousreply 15February 10, 2024 9:21 PM

He should get rid of all the plastic hangers and buy even a few boxes of polished stainless steel hangers sold in sets of 200, so that when customers browse the shop it looks more uniform to the eye.

That’s a really inexpensive improvement and it would be a really quick change, probably under an hour. Yet it would really improve the shop’s appearance and give customers a better impression. All the random plastic hangers look too much like a thrift store, yet nicer-looking gleaming silver hangers that have the same geometry will elevate perceptions, make it feel like a more intentionally planned experience, more like a style lab and less of thrift shop.

In college we bought a lot of vintage clothing and the people who worked in and ran these shops were really cool. This kid could do pretty well and make that venture into an experience people will want to tell others about. I wish him well. If I were young and into Etsy and steampunk design and vintage things, I would definitely want to participate in that economy. The kid is also a pretty charming brand ambassador and I admire him for doing what he enjoys, and his parents and teachers for nurturing that in him.

by Anonymousreply 16February 10, 2024 9:53 PM

I agree about the hangers, R16. Those colorful tube hangers make everything look cheap, like a Goodwill.

BTW, I just bought all new hangers for both shirts and pants. All black, even the hooks and clips. My closet looks like a boutique except for the clothing.

by Anonymousreply 17February 10, 2024 10:01 PM

His logo is clever, a smiley face with lightning bolt eyes, and his eye is good. That yellow and black is a slick combination as a form of brand palette. People might be excited to visit and buy from this fellow if they see the things he chooses and sells as “curated”, and they might pay for the added value of his selection and assembling of really interesting items, with features like vintage industrial graphics and details like unique fittings and buttons and types of materials that are unusual and uncommon (grosgrain lined hems and details like these).

Clothing like Thom Brown is pretty goofy looking, but people pay a fortune for it because they like the details like little locker loops and vintage-inspired shapes (airplanes, lobsters, images like these). I actually really like the camper on the kid’s tee shirt.

If these items are in good shape and fun to buy and own, he will do well. Especially if people share their experience on their social media platforms, and if there are college campuses nearby.

by Anonymousreply 18February 10, 2024 10:05 PM

I hope he doesn’t get cancer

by Anonymousreply 19February 10, 2024 10:06 PM

R17 Exactly. It’s a cheap, handy improvement. I think an orderly personal environment is somehow healthier and it’s important because things are pretty chaotic sociologically right now, so your home should be like an orderly and calm setting, a retreat.

When I lived in Paris, my most successful friends there had simple but nice things all arranged neatly even in tiny apartments. They were really careful to avoid clutter and tat. back in NYC I am sometimes disturbed by the piles of cheap and nasty things people hang onto, sometime bordering on hoarding, and I think it’s a stress response.

by Anonymousreply 20February 10, 2024 10:20 PM

It’s original MTV VJ Mark Goodman’s vintage hair!

by Anonymousreply 21February 10, 2024 10:40 PM

I was so hot for Mark Goodman back in the day!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 10, 2024 10:56 PM

Good on him for realising very quickly what sells- his looks.

The clothes and shop look basic AF.

by Anonymousreply 23February 11, 2024 12:12 AM

Good for him! He's going to be successful in life. At first I thought it was Robert Hegyes from Welcome Back Mr. Kotter.

by Anonymousreply 24February 11, 2024 12:16 AM

[Quote] Not really, [R8]. He's on a train route into Manhattan.

R13 Yes, that’s what I mean. It’s a long train commute. Around 2 hours. 1+ by car.

by Anonymousreply 25February 11, 2024 12:32 AM

[quote]Danny Colon, 19, of Brielle has opened Electrix Vintage clothing store in Manasquan. He is currently a freshman at Fashion Institute of Technology in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 26February 11, 2024 12:37 AM

[quote] Gen Z are all over '90s stylings.

All over? Into? Not into?

by Anonymousreply 27February 11, 2024 1:13 AM

Colonic irrigation is nothing to sneeze at, darling.

by Anonymousreply 28February 11, 2024 1:31 AM

Here's his instagram-

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29February 11, 2024 2:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!