Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

J'adore Jenny Jones

When I think back to my salad days as a larval pubescent hauling in the 1990s, relentlessly flipping the channels for wank bank fodder after school, and frequently finding it on trash tv talk shows there was always one show that stood head and shoulders above the rest.

What was it about Jenny Jones? I think it was the combination of that big smile and dead eyes. She was clearly a sociopath but a jovial one, and it was always clear that she was getting just as much a judgey kick out of her tacky guests as we were.

I looked her up on Wikipedia the other day and found her story fascinating. An self admitted 11 year old tramp and runaway she ditched her broken home at an early age, performing with several bands before hooking up with Wayne Newton as "backup singer" which led to several lucrative game show appearances and, eventually -Star Search!

After her show was concealed for facilitating homocide she started a YouTube cooking channel that has just south of 1 million subscriptions

She also runs a shady sounding "charitable foundation"

I'd love to see a movie of her life, indeed of all those trashy shows in the 90s. Every other bit of American culture has a limited series- why not that!

What are your favorite Jenny Jones memories?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 15, 2024 12:27 AM

How was her show concealed?

by Anonymousreply 1February 10, 2024 3:33 PM

Hauling = Homo (my bad!)

"Janina Maria Stronski was born on June 7, 1946, in Bethlehem, Palestine, to John Stronski, a World War II veteran, and Zosia "Sophie", a dressmaker. The family, who also had an older daughter, Helena Elizabeth (born 1944), briefly moved to Italy, before relocating to London, Ontario, in 1948. A strict Catholic household, the impoverished family ran a bridal shop.[2] Upon her parents' divorce, Jones, her mother, and sister moved to Montreal. Disheartened by mother's alcoholism and verbal abuse, Jones began "shoplifting, drinking and necking with guys that we just picked up."[3] Jones ran away from home at 11 years old; after one month, Jones was arrested for shoplifting and returned to her mother. Jones's mother subsequently sent her and Helena back to London to live with their father. As a teenager, Jones began to abuse alcohol, her school grades declined, and she ran away from home again. According to Jones, "I didn't want to be with either parent and couldn't wait until I was old enough to leave. Show business was my way out."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 10, 2024 3:34 PM

I was more of a Ricki Lake guy.

by Anonymousreply 3February 10, 2024 3:38 PM

Jenny Jones? More like Jenny JOKES!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 10, 2024 3:53 PM

Because of this thread I had to YouTube old Jenny Jones episodes. Here's a classic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 10, 2024 4:13 PM

Love her cooking segments on YouTube,she’s mulittatalented and seems down to earth now,,,

by Anonymousreply 6February 10, 2024 4:23 PM

You were HAULIN' , OP!

by Anonymousreply 7February 10, 2024 4:31 PM

I remember he being a 'comedienne' on HBO specials in the 1980s (along with Joy Behar) before getting her talk show. I think the series was called 'Ladies of the Night'. Behar's routine was much funnier.

by Anonymousreply 8February 10, 2024 4:31 PM

Parody.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 10, 2024 4:34 PM

Rude Jude was brought on because he was some girl’s bully and ended up with a whole new career because of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 10, 2024 4:37 PM

I remember during lockdown some of us DLers made her no-knead bread and posted pictures here.

by Anonymousreply 11February 10, 2024 4:45 PM

Rude Jude the original Chet Hanks.

by Anonymousreply 12February 10, 2024 4:47 PM

Jenny could have been another Springer, but for the murder.

She, like Springer, is an intelligent and curious person who had great conversational skill. She, like Springer, started out with a more serious format which, over time, developed into a much more tabloid and gimmicky circus.

I always saw her as a direct competitor to Ricki Lake and though Ricki was more popular at the time, Jenny was better at hosting a show.

by Anonymousreply 13February 10, 2024 4:47 PM

Is no one else going to ask OP who he was fapping to on exploitative nineties circus/talk shows?

by Anonymousreply 14February 10, 2024 5:35 PM

It’s all fun and games until someone gets killed

by Anonymousreply 15February 10, 2024 8:15 PM

The format of the show was different in the beginning. She’d have multiple segments, maybe a celebrity interview but quickly became like the rest.

by Anonymousreply 16February 11, 2024 2:52 AM

Is she the one with the stone tits?

by Anonymousreply 17February 11, 2024 3:02 AM

Jenny Jones' talk show (1991-2003) continued for another 8 years after that 1995 "Secret Gay Crush" murder, so I don't know why people think she was done by the late '90s.

I attended college in 1998-2002 and her show was pretty popular in my dorm here in Massachusetts.

Most people didn't know about the murder by then -- 1995 seemed like ancient news at the turn of the new decade/century/millennium.

by Anonymousreply 18February 11, 2024 3:31 AM

A lot of people were really turned off by her appearance on the witness stand where she seemed smug and uncaring. The trial, not the murder was the end of her career. It was obviously tougher to find advertisers after the murder and even though the show continued for years, it was never the same. Obviously.

by Anonymousreply 19February 11, 2024 3:56 AM

This interview with Jane Pauley was the of the worst PR moves. This was 1999 and although the show ended in 2003, the ratings for the last two years made it the lowest rated talk show on the air. After watching this, I doubt any of her fans felt good about watching her and quickly bolted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 11, 2024 4:17 AM

I will always hold her accountable for what happened to Scott Amedure. Tacky cunt.

by Anonymousreply 21February 11, 2024 8:27 AM

Did she at least offer to give the dead guy a Jenny Jones Makeover?

by Anonymousreply 22February 11, 2024 4:21 PM

Jenny was such an instigator asshole. Her big line was always, "that's not what you told our producers!" in a chiding, singsong voice. I don't know how she had any fucking self respect, with those rippled boobs and her ridiculous show format. She coulda been a contender at one point, but her show devolved into her mean girling and putting people on the spot.

by Anonymousreply 23February 11, 2024 10:50 PM

R23, it was called "the ambush".

by Anonymousreply 24February 12, 2024 12:16 AM

Oh right R24, the ambush. And of course she was trying to make Scott Amedure look silly and like a joke or something, the whole thing was fucking awful. It was only a matter of time before something went very wrong. I hope that on the stand the lawyers were able to get in a "that's not what you told our producers!" a few times.

by Anonymousreply 25February 12, 2024 3:41 AM

My in-laws sent us on a honeymoon cruise in 1996, and the only channels our tv got were showing the Jenny Jones trial and Twister en Español.

by Anonymousreply 26February 12, 2024 3:43 AM

I never understood the appeal of her show and the Jerry Springer show. They always struck me as human bear baiting, sometimes heartbreakingly vicious.

by Anonymousreply 27February 13, 2024 4:51 AM

I loved Ricki and Sally Jesse Raphael - Sally just seemed more caring while still having some pretty memorable shows (remember Toby?). Then in the outrageous entertainment category, Richard Bey and Jerry Springer were more fun than Jenny. Her show was second tier in my eyes, though I still watched it.

by Anonymousreply 28February 13, 2024 5:26 AM

Producers for those kinds of shows give no soul. None.

by Anonymousreply 29February 13, 2024 5:39 AM

She was no Rolanda Watts.

by Anonymousreply 30February 13, 2024 6:04 AM

She was a mean bitch from the start, she bragged about bullying women she thought looked at all masculine into doing a "genital check" before letting them go to the bathroom at her comedy shows.

by Anonymousreply 31February 15, 2024 12:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!