Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Atlantic currents set to collapse within the next 100 years

Will cause some major shit. Would cause sea levels to rise by a meter and extreme changes in weather. Could also kill off the Amazon rain forest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 10, 2024 4:43 PM

The CNN article on this has a similar headline but if you read the story, which I did, it isn't nearly as alarmist as the headline suggests. It's happened before and the science that's predicting this is a possibility is still very new and untested. I get that the planet it warming but I am SO fucking tired of them alarming and terrifying the general public that the planet is about to upheave on us. It isn't. We will warm, but it's nothing that hasn't happened in the past. Human will have to adapt. Recyling your plastic bags and suddenly switching everyone to electric cars is NOT going to reverse this or even significantly slow it. So much politics has been allowed to twist and bastardize climate science and, sadly, many climatologists have allowed themselves to be sucked into it. Unless there is a sudden change in emissions, simultaneously, across the entire planet, warming will not slow down. You cannot change nearly 200 years of Humanity's habits or industrial growth in a couple of decades. Some might argue that it's even arrogant to think that Humans alone, in the mere span of less than 200 years, have altered the climate of the entire planet. While there's been impact, the planet is a living breathing thing with cycles. We aren't nearly as culpable in its changes as we think we are.

by Anonymousreply 1February 10, 2024 12:46 PM

I’m middle aged and childfree so I don’t care about the future of the planet but I hope those who do are able to find a solution

by Anonymousreply 2February 10, 2024 12:47 PM

I'll be dead, so not my problem.

by Anonymousreply 3February 10, 2024 12:58 PM

R1 is too stupid to live; hopefully one of the first to go.

by Anonymousreply 4February 10, 2024 1:00 PM

Après nous, le déluge.

by Anonymousreply 5February 10, 2024 1:00 PM

OP, you're already pushing 80. How does this really worry you?

by Anonymousreply 6February 10, 2024 1:05 PM

R1 rationalizes this exactly how a friend of mine who works in petroleum does.

by Anonymousreply 7February 10, 2024 1:05 PM

R7 - Does your friend work nude? Otherwise he must spent an absolute fortune on work clothes. Is this a company policy, or a personal choice? Either way it sounds like an OSHA nightmare waiting to happen.

by Anonymousreply 8February 10, 2024 1:11 PM

R1 = noted climate expert Joe Rogan. Or could be climate expert Chuck Woolery. Or could be climate expert Kevin Sorbo.

Notice all three of these clowns don't know their ass from a hole in the ground, much less study climate change.

by Anonymousreply 9February 10, 2024 1:25 PM

Right after the catastrophic collapse of the ozone layer, which no one talks about anymore.

Be afwaid, be vewy afwaid!

by Anonymousreply 10February 10, 2024 1:52 PM

[quote] Notice all three of these clowns don't know their ass from a hole in the ground, much less study climate change.

True. They are far less learned than Leo DiCaprio, Shailene Woodley, and Mark Ruffalo.

by Anonymousreply 11February 10, 2024 4:25 PM

[quote]You cannot change nearly 200 years of Humanity's habits or industrial growth in a couple of decades.

R1? What car was your ancestor driving in 1820?

by Anonymousreply 12February 10, 2024 4:37 PM

Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 13February 10, 2024 4:37 PM

Scientist Sylvia Browne.

by Anonymousreply 14February 10, 2024 4:38 PM

Sucks to be people 100 years from now.

by Anonymousreply 15February 10, 2024 4:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!