Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Madame Blanc Mysteries

Channel 5 and Acorn TV. The setting is the South of France in some antiquing town near the Côte d'Azur but it's filmed in Malta. It's a total somnolent cheesefest geared to lowbrow pensioners, and I really like it. Everything is so shoddy - dialogue, accents, plots, originality - but there are good performances of the tacky stereotyped characters. Of note, Robin Askwith and Sue Holderness as the ancient rich couple bubbling with Auntie Mame's Zest for Living!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 10, 2024 1:13 PM

Robin Askwith is a name I've not heard in a long time! Probably not as "horny" as he used to be in films...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 10, 2024 12:27 PM

It’s written by the two actresses on the show. Sally Lindsey (Madame Blanc) and Sue Vincent (Gloria).

It sort of has a frau-ey, wishful “Ina Garten” feel to it in that while the lead is called Mrs. White, she fancies herself Madame Blanc.

Like other Brit shows, like Father Brown, it requires a huge suspension of belief. The fact that she can sit in with the police and question suspects is highly dubious and would never be allowed in real life.

by Anonymousreply 2February 10, 2024 12:28 PM

[quote]Robin Askwith is a name I've not heard in a long time!

When I saw the first episode, I thought he looked really familiar. I had to look him up and then remembered, he’s the young guy who made a career out of lowbrow “Jack the Lad” sex comedies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 10, 2024 12:38 PM

Okay, so as a prior disclosure I do like all those old "Carry on" films, but even so that chocolate cream éclair scene just got a good laugh out of me!

by Anonymousreply 4February 10, 2024 1:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!