Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What would you do if you were seated between two large individuals on a five hour flight?

Would you squeeze your shoulders together, keep your arms off the arm rests and make the best of a bad situation or say something to the flight attendant?

by Anonymousreply 24February 11, 2024 3:23 PM

There are no middle seats in first class, so I don’t deal with this problem.

by Anonymousreply 1February 10, 2024 10:49 AM

Right, R1.

I was going to say that I’d simply ask the flight attendant if I could move from first to business class.

Everyone makes videos these days and one has to take care not to end up on YouTube or X.

by Anonymousreply 2February 10, 2024 10:53 AM

I once had to spend hours on an overnight flight sitting next to an unpleasant man. My revenge was that I had a really bad case of crabs and I hope it got spread to him. Am I going to hell?

by Anonymousreply 3February 10, 2024 11:43 AM

Just smoke copious amounts of pot, silly!

by Anonymousreply 4February 10, 2024 11:46 AM

Pay extra to avoid a middle seat at all costs. If this isn’t possible, get up and stretch every hour. Do not involve the flight attendant unless there are a lot of available seats you can move to.

by Anonymousreply 5February 10, 2024 11:51 AM

[quote] I once had to spend hours on an overnight flight sitting next to an unpleasant man. My revenge was that I had a really bad case of crabs and I hope it got spread to him. Am I going to hell?

Gee, I hope not.

The inhabitants of hell have enough to deal with without adding your crabs to the list.

by Anonymousreply 6February 10, 2024 11:56 AM

I'm definitely not a scene maker type, R5, nor am I really a complainer, so I'll try to avoid bothering the flight attendant if at all possible. Is it fair to put my armrest down, I mean, I know these people are large and take up more space, but I also paid for my seat and feel I have the right to have the armrest down instead of the person next to me spreading into my space, you know?

by Anonymousreply 7February 10, 2024 12:01 PM

This is why I laugh at people who think first class isn't worth it. It's not about what you get. It's about what you avoid.

by Anonymousreply 8February 10, 2024 12:03 PM

I would simply whip out my on the go dietary regime pamphlets, tell them to avoid the flight complimentary liquor, and then hand them the latest copy of Vogue with me on the cover.

by Anonymousreply 9February 10, 2024 12:11 PM

On a flight from NY back to CA 20 years ago I was seated next to a morbidly obese man. I fell asleep on his shoulder twice, woke up both times and apologized. Then the flight landed and I woke up asleep on his shoulder again lol. He looked miserable. I felt bad but the man spilled over into my seat and I was exhausted.

by Anonymousreply 10February 10, 2024 12:15 PM

I happened to me (female) on a red eye from Chicago to NY. It was the last leg of a flight from Japan and I was exhausted from being in transit for over 24 hours. This was back in the 90s and planes were never full. I used to request and get bulkhead seats at check in, no problem and I asked for this flight. Well this agent was a fan of malicious compliance. It wasn’t a wide body jet, the seats were 3-3, and this “exit row” was over the wing and two road warrior guys were already sitting there, window and aisle. They were young, very large guys, and twins. I apologized, climbed into the middle seat and promptly fell asleep. It was like being sat between two bolsters, comfy for me anyway.

by Anonymousreply 11February 10, 2024 12:55 PM

I usually ask for the emergency exit seat which is generally reserved for fit, and mostly male, passengers.

by Anonymousreply 12February 10, 2024 1:17 PM

R1 Can you be my benefactor. I’ll be a good whore.

by Anonymousreply 13February 10, 2024 2:22 PM

Only the unwashed masses fly commercial.

by Anonymousreply 14February 10, 2024 4:21 PM

I'd give my emotional support jackal a break from his under-seat crate and let him sit on my lap.

by Anonymousreply 15February 10, 2024 4:30 PM

I was molested.

by Anonymousreply 16February 10, 2024 5:42 PM

[quote] Is it fair to put my armrest down, I mean, I know these people are large and take up more space, but I also paid for my seat and feel I have the right to have the armrest down instead of the person next to me spreading into my space, you know?

Yes, of course it's fair to put your armrest down.

by Anonymousreply 17February 10, 2024 5:45 PM

[quote] two road warrior guys were already sitting there, window and aisle. They were young, very large guys, and twins. I apologized, climbed into the middle seat and promptly fell asleep. It was like being sat between two bolsters, comfy for me anyway.

You ID'd yourself as female. I'm sure male DLers would have loved this situation.

by Anonymousreply 18February 10, 2024 5:47 PM

5 mg of Xanax or kill myself

by Anonymousreply 19February 10, 2024 5:48 PM

They should have a section for the fatties.

by Anonymousreply 20February 10, 2024 5:52 PM

Yes! Xanax is a good knockout drug for unpleasant, long flights.

by Anonymousreply 21February 10, 2024 5:58 PM

Most airlines have some option for choosing your seat in advance, unless you're booking the absolute cheapest fare. Yes, there are occasions where you might miss a connection and get bumped to the next flight, or might be flying standby and a middle is all that's left. But generally, if you're regularly sitting in middle seats, it's because you're not planning ahead or willing to pay extra to avoid it. Even Southwest, which is a seating free-for-all, lets you buy an earlier boarding position to avoid a middle.

by Anonymousreply 22February 10, 2024 5:59 PM

Never book a middle seat, you tightwad!

by Anonymousreply 23February 10, 2024 6:01 PM

I always pay extra to get an aisle seat so hopefully I'll never have this problem. I think most airlines force extremely fat people to buy two seats.

by Anonymousreply 24February 11, 2024 3:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!