Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

If you could ask a dead relative anything, what would you ask?

My great grandmother left a very religious Catholic family in France, to come to America.

The story was that she was all by herself, but supposedly she "met" her future husband on the ship over, and had my grandfather the year that she arrived in the United States.

And when she got here, she became a Pentecostal.

What I want to know is, A) was she already pregnant when she left her family in France, B) was the man she met on the ship, my grandfather's real father, and C) why did she become a Pentecostal??

I tell you, I would GRILL her.

by Anonymousreply 5February 10, 2024 6:20 PM

I'd ask my great-great aunt, who was alive and charming when I was a little boy, where she hid her jewels. She gave some away in her lifetime, we found others, but she owned a very valuable collection and a chunk of it she stopped wearing decades before she died in her late 90s. She had retired pieces after her life-long paramour, a jeweler, died. Only the old folks remembered certain pieces. But apparently she never sold anything. Where is it?

by Anonymousreply 1February 10, 2024 9:56 AM

My great grandparents were in service in Ireland at a great country house. Jobs were scarce and they would have been considered lucky. I would want to ask why they left their positions to come to an uncertain future in the UK, where they knew no-one, and there was no guarantee of work or housing. They made it somehow, but I would like to know why they took the risk.

by Anonymousreply 2February 10, 2024 10:14 AM

I'd like to ask my great great grandmother exactly when they started saying we had Cherokee heritage instead of black heritage.

by Anonymousreply 3February 10, 2024 10:17 AM

Why did you adopt me???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 10, 2024 6:08 PM

I'd ask my great-great grandmother "Who was the father of your son?" My great-grandfather was adopted by her parents, she and they died when he was a child, raised by her brother.

by Anonymousreply 5February 10, 2024 6:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!