Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What are the greatest movies of our current era?

I’ve been having an argument with my boyfriend about whether or not movies today are worse or not than in previous eras. He says no, I say yes. He began to agree with me after I asked him this: What movies from the past 10-20 years or so will be remembered 50+ years from now as all-time greats? For example: Gone with the Wind, La Dolce Vita, Lawrence of Arabia, The Shawshank Redemption, The Sound of Music, Casablanca, The Godfather, Indiana Jones, The Wizard of Oz, My Fair Lady, Goodfellas, James Bond, and many more that I’m forgetting. What films in our current era would you qualify as on the level of the aforementioned movies?

by Anonymousreply 3February 10, 2024 3:25 AM

Titanic, Fight Club, There Will Be Blood.

by Anonymousreply 1February 10, 2024 3:22 AM

Keep in mind that there’s been a dramatic shift in talent to TV content. Succession, The Sopranos, Fleabag, The Wire, Chernobyl, Breaking Bad, The Bear, etc are all modern masterpieces in their own way. I’m sure there’s a lot more but I just wanted to give a sampling.

by Anonymousreply 2February 10, 2024 3:23 AM

Barbie. Any omission or criticism of it is pure misogyny and patriarchy!

by Anonymousreply 3February 10, 2024 3:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!