Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The power of Oprah

We all know the vast influence of Oprah in so many aspects of (popular) culture in America and Canada, especially during the 25 years of her show,

But how influential was she, outside of North America? She wasn’t recognized when shopping in Europe. What kind of influence does she have in the UK? I know she is well known in South Africa, not least for her school.

I would be so interested in feedback from outside North America.

by Anonymousreply 20February 10, 2024 8:38 PM

Never, ever bought that the Hermes incident in Paris was due to racism as much as it was that the fucking shop was closed. I lost respect for her after that.

Well, I actually lost respect after her championing the lame book “The Bridges of Madison County.”

by Anonymousreply 1February 10, 2024 1:51 AM

I hate Oprah.

by Anonymousreply 2February 10, 2024 1:54 AM

Don’t like her.

by Anonymousreply 3February 10, 2024 1:57 AM

She's the greatest philanthropist in the history of the world.

by Anonymousreply 4February 10, 2024 2:05 AM

Black people are not influential outside the US, except that shithole continent Africa.

by Anonymousreply 5February 10, 2024 2:17 AM

It was in Zurich, r1. She was there to see Tina Turner. I don't know if you're new to planet earth but they usually don't allow people into shops when the shop is closed. They also don't stop serving customers who are already in the shop when the clock strikes closing time. Another white douchebag who always has an explanation for why an event wasn't racist. Why is it so hard for you to believe that a Central European retail cunt was racist? Have you even been to Europe? Racism exists outside of Alabama.

by Anonymousreply 6February 10, 2024 7:19 AM

She gives decent black people and lesbians bad names.

by Anonymousreply 7February 10, 2024 8:36 AM

She probably wasn't recognized because without hair and makeup she looks...nothing like herself. And that's being nice.

by Anonymousreply 8February 10, 2024 9:12 AM

How many fat people shop at Hermes, in Zurich?

by Anonymousreply 9February 10, 2024 9:25 AM

R6, it was Paris, you moron. And she showed up 15 minutes after closing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 10, 2024 10:30 AM

Oprah?

die Fette Sau!

by Anonymousreply 11February 10, 2024 10:49 AM

[quote]What kind of influence does she have in the UK?

She looked utterly ridiculous at the Royal wedding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 10, 2024 10:55 AM

Vast inluence? Uh, okay, I guess. Didn't know that.

by Anonymousreply 13February 10, 2024 11:40 AM

She has done more damage to the well being of our world and the human race as a whole than any perceived help and betterment. Convinced women "men are the enemy" and they should "live their best lives" no matter what anyone says (mostly by listening to the advice of her self-proclaimed "experts" and buying the products she endorses); only the black people whom she deems fit ("Doctor" Maya Angelo, "Doctor" Bill Cosby, Tyler Perry, for example) are worth celebrating and if you do not agree, you are a RASCIST! Actual pioneering black people such as Hattie McDaniels, Dudley Dickerson, Lena Horne, Nichelle Nichols, Redd Foxx, and LaWanda Page are trash according to hetgetr. Her "never help family members" bullshit; "The Secret" and other woo-woo snake oil she has promoted.

by Anonymousreply 14February 10, 2024 1:55 PM

R14. What do you mean by “never help family members”?

by Anonymousreply 15February 10, 2024 1:57 PM

I don't know about other countries, but virtually everyone in the UK has heard of Oprah. Her name is shorthand for touchy-feely American "power of positive thinking" culture.

As a kid, I used to wonder why Peggy from Married... with Children loved opera so much, and why she pronounced it incorrectly.

by Anonymousreply 16February 10, 2024 2:07 PM

Ozempic is a miracle drug. Because Oprah's been a fat pig her entire life who could never put down the fork until now despite hawking every pathetic weight loss scheme known to man.

by Anonymousreply 17February 10, 2024 5:33 PM

"Do you know who I am?" She's an enormous turn off.

by Anonymousreply 18February 10, 2024 5:57 PM

The fact that she lied about playing with cockroaches on a dirt floor as a poor child because "that's what people want to hear" completely discredits her. She lies.

by Anonymousreply 19February 10, 2024 6:17 PM

Probably the same with her alleging SA, r19.

If she wanted to shop out of hours, she should have had her people ring up in advance to arrange it. How entitled to just turn up when the place had already closed. Stop staff have lives to live. Cher wouldn't pull that shit.

by Anonymousreply 20February 10, 2024 8:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!