Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

It's a shame that Knots Landing isn't streaming anywhere.

I could really use a visit to the ole cul de sac tonight.

by Anonymousreply 346February 23, 2024 1:15 AM

I agree wholeheartedly. Knots was a great series. It was my favorite ‘80s soap, by far.

You type fat, however.

by Anonymousreply 1February 10, 2024 12:20 AM

I agree, OP. It’s been up and down on YouTube over the years. You can buy very inexpensive digital downloads of the show — mostly SOAPnet rips, I think.

by Anonymousreply 2February 10, 2024 12:24 AM

I watched it in reruns/syndication when I was 10-11 one summer in the early nineties.

I was HOOKED!!!!

I would revisit the 83-84 season- it was so soapy and awesome.

It had that cliffhanger in the hotel with --spoiler------- Karen getting shot, Val getting kidnapped by the "Wolfbridge Group"

by Anonymousreply 3February 10, 2024 12:33 AM

R3! You’re tempting me so much!

by Anonymousreply 4February 10, 2024 12:36 AM

I’ve never seen the complete Season 6 with the Val’s babies plot line. I want to.

by Anonymousreply 5February 10, 2024 12:38 AM

Awesome season as well, R5

I remember the 86-87 season which I think was right after Val's babies---Regarding 86-87--I HATED that tropical version of the theme- it sucked ass. And the look of the show changed from that cinematic film stock to this videotape look. I learned later they did the same shit to Dallas and that other show with that ugly old lady and the winery.

Definitely its prime was 81-86 then probably 87-91.

But for me- It was that 83-84 season- It was SO soapy but with Knot's wonderful character driven undercurrent. And all the chicks had on high fashions too. It wass the pinnacle of the 80's really.

by Anonymousreply 6February 10, 2024 1:19 AM

Claudia Lonow made it into the opening credits in the fifth season and was let go right after. I can see why. They made Diana into such a raving bitch and her treatment of Karen was awful.

by Anonymousreply 7February 10, 2024 1:40 AM

I first started watching when TNT used to rerun it in the 90s as their “lunchbox TV” block. I started with Season 5 and then caught up on the earlier seasons when it cycled back.

Ben’s story was never adequately resolved, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 8February 10, 2024 1:49 AM

I’m definitely in the minority—I preferred the first four or so seasons of Knots Landing, before it became a soap. It was much more realistic in those years, and the episodes were self-contained. In those early years, Knots was a drama similar in feel to Family with Sada Thompson.

by Anonymousreply 9February 10, 2024 1:55 AM

I think it became soapy once Abby and Gary hooked up at the end of Season 3. Season 4 had Chip and Ciji and all those stories. I could have done without Greg Sumner. He never made the show more interesting for me except at Laura’s funeral.

by Anonymousreply 10February 10, 2024 1:58 AM

There were times when “Six Feet Under” felt tonally like “Knots” to me. It really did. And the. I read an interview with Joan can Ark where she said somebody called it “Knots Landing in a Funeral Home.” She was in awe of “Six Feet Under.”

by Anonymousreply 11February 10, 2024 2:00 AM

Fuck Knott's Landing

by Anonymousreply 12February 10, 2024 2:01 AM

I loved Knots Landing. Ted Shackelford was so hot in his prime. I bet Gary Ewing had the biggest dick of all the Ewing men.

by Anonymousreply 13February 10, 2024 2:20 AM

Since none of you boys appear to be busy, tonight - could one of you nice young men give me a hand with my home perm?

by Anonymousreply 14February 10, 2024 2:24 AM

As long as there is no lye, R14.

by Anonymousreply 15February 10, 2024 2:28 AM

The writers and producers made sure to always add something domestic to the episodes to bring it down to earth a little.

by Anonymousreply 16February 10, 2024 2:29 AM

R15 Oh Mama!

by Anonymousreply 17February 10, 2024 2:32 AM

Laura driving herself to a hospice to die was pretty powerful. They were toying with the idea of Laura and Cigi having a lesbian fling but it never happened. Probably too much for the Knott's fans to handle.

by Anonymousreply 18February 10, 2024 3:49 AM

Miss Ellie was fun when she was scolding JR or the men of the cartel. But Lilimae had so much more to do. Could you imagine Miss Ellie sending one of her sons down from a roof top? Ahhh... Lilimae, you lovely lilttle angel.

by Anonymousreply 19February 10, 2024 4:17 AM

SWALLOW THE PILLS VAL!

by Anonymousreply 20February 10, 2024 5:57 AM

I love 86-87. It's definately the soapiest year, but I don't remember it suffering much from the videotape look like Dallas did with the weird new lighting and Southfork set with the mini swimming pool.

The only thing that bothered me about that 86-87 was all the hollering and chest beating done by the male cast. In each episode Ben, Mac, Greg, and Gary all had moments where they would randomly yell their lines, presumably for dramatic effect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 10, 2024 6:38 AM

I am completely drawing a blank on this videotape look you guys are talking about. Does anyone have an actual example?

by Anonymousreply 22February 10, 2024 12:57 PM

Paramount acquired Spelling Television many years ago. Don’t know why they don’t make everything available on their streaming service.

by Anonymousreply 23February 10, 2024 1:09 PM

Loved the episode when Abby and Olivia were in the house battling over Olivia’s drug problem.

by Anonymousreply 24February 10, 2024 1:55 PM

I tried to find it a few weeks ago, and no luck.

by Anonymousreply 25February 10, 2024 2:00 PM

R21- I hated the look- You can actually see it in your screenshot. It was videotapey and almost had more "natural" light- But it cheapened the aesthetic. Even as a 10-11 year old watching the reruns, I noticed it immediately,

I remember being on my mom's treadmill (I was a fat little fuck and decided to lose weight that summer and become a hunk)

When the new season clearly started (they played an episode every day, and I could always tell which episode was the season cliffhanger) And that tropical song started and even the credits had that cheap videotape look, I was like WHAT THE FUCK DID THEY DO TO MY SHOW!!!!!

And I may be getting seasons mixed up... Was the videotaped look season the one where Karen has that shitty haircut and is stuck in the basement?? I know it was 86-87. I have to go google that season now.

by Anonymousreply 26February 10, 2024 2:17 PM

I’m loving all these posts!

I forget which season it was, but there’s a cliffhanger where Abby’s been kidnapped and one of the last scenes (maybe the freeze frame) is Abby’s face framed by the back window of a car or limo.

The next season picks right up where the prior ended ( I think maybe they have Abby on a boat) with the characters wearing the same outfits, etc. However, many of the cast members have different haircuts/styles… Abby’s hair is very dramatically different.

by Anonymousreply 27February 10, 2024 2:18 PM

Shit! Okay- Val's babies was 84-85... 85-86 ended with Karen in the basement.

86-87 returned with the Jamaican theme song, Karen's shitty hair cut, and the cheap videotape! Solved.

Damn great show. For me- 83-85 was epic. And then the show was pretty great for the rest of its run. Hated the aesthetic though. It really looked to "natural".

And I vaguely recall one of the final seasons where the show really went downhill for a year and they completely stopped production to revamp it-

And I remember homeless Anne. And enjoying that too.

by Anonymousreply 28February 10, 2024 2:22 PM

Bitch, that is MY episode and favorite season!!! 83-84 She was kidnapped by the Wolfbridge Group . There was a SPOILER----- Bomb in Gary's car, Karen got shot-

I think Abby had on a really cool polka dot sweater.

And I also remember the change in hairstyles!!!! LOL That was what was cool about watching an episode every day.

by Anonymousreply 29February 10, 2024 2:24 PM

R27, I forgot to type your #. You my bitch. See R29

by Anonymousreply 30February 10, 2024 2:25 PM

I don't think Knots Landing did freeze frames, I think it was a stylistic choice.

by Anonymousreply 31February 10, 2024 2:26 PM

R28, I think that was the 1991-92 season. The creative staff had all decamped to work on the critically acclaimed new show “Home Front” and things went downhill.

by Anonymousreply 32February 10, 2024 2:27 PM

Correct - It was not a freezeframe of Abby- but a closeup of her in the rear window.

This finale had a rapid fire of things all happening within 60 seconds. It was a PERFECT cliffhanger.

However, the final shot of 83-84 was a freeze-frame!

It was of Karen----

by Anonymousreply 33February 10, 2024 2:30 PM

Let me give you bitches what you need..

DO NOT WATCH IF YOU HAVE NEVER WATCHED THE SHOW!!!!

I don't want this great season spoiled!

This is the last 5 minutes of 83-84---

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 10, 2024 2:32 PM

Shit- I think above was a synopsis rather than the actual cliffhanger-

THIS is the real episode here- Quality sucks- But its SO worth it.

And it ends in a freezeframe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 10, 2024 2:35 PM

I remember the patented “Knots Landing Sad Music.” They used it when Val had a tumor and may have to wear a colostomy bag, the end of the episode when Sid dies, when Greg is watching Laura’s videotaped farewell and even a couple times in “Back to the Cul-de-Sac.”

by Anonymousreply 36February 10, 2024 2:37 PM

The haunted house episode was a riot. It just comes out of nowhere. I suspect it was done as a nod to Julie Harris’s role in “The Haunting,”

Abby does have a great zinger to Laura in it when she says, “You and your boss know a lot about motels!”

by Anonymousreply 37February 10, 2024 2:39 PM

Val from poor teen mom to best selling novelist

Abby from cul de sac slut to corporate titan

My favorite character was Karen, but Laura was also interesting.

by Anonymousreply 38February 10, 2024 2:41 PM

My favorite was Stacy Galina.

NOT!!!!!!

Oh man she was charisma free.

One of Knots rare casting misfires-

by Anonymousreply 39February 10, 2024 2:42 PM

OP, I give you a five star smooch and a WW, simply for spelling Knots Landing correctly....

by Anonymousreply 40February 10, 2024 2:46 PM

I find this thread utterly fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 41February 10, 2024 2:48 PM

I really liked Knots Landings scoring from 83-85 as well. The show had some great themes.

As I have grown up there are 3 television shows that come to mind with excellent scores- All soaps- Most shows did not have great scores/background music... Or classic shows like The Sopranos did not use a score- but popular music (to great effect)

The Young and The Restless- the 1980-2005 era

Knots Landing- 83-86 era- just really memorable music- as you can see in the cliffhanger above.

One Life To Live- 85-90 era- This was a composer named Michel Camilo who worked for Score Productions. Very electronic/keyboard and extremely modern at the time

by Anonymousreply 42February 10, 2024 2:53 PM

R42 I was never a fan of Y&R but caught it in that era during some petsitting/babysitting summer days and I agree, it really had some great cues and a very cinematic score to it.

by Anonymousreply 43February 10, 2024 2:55 PM

I watched Y&R around the same era as Knots above- late 80's - early 90's (then especially later on Youtube) Yes- it was very orchestral and cinematic- Really beautiful stuff.

by Anonymousreply 44February 10, 2024 2:57 PM

I love the Peter Hollister murder story.

Watching Abby dragging around his body and burying it in cement at Lotus Point in a power suit, all because she thought Olivia killed him. Meanwhile, Olivia went along with the coverup because she thought Abby killed him.

Then her coverup was exposed by buttinsiy Karen, who noticed a crack in the cement.

The story gave us this great scene between Abby and Paige, making it clear that Paige would never be a replacement for Abby or Laura.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45February 10, 2024 3:00 PM

Great series, when Val got her babies back, WOW,what a relief,we were finally able to go on with our own lives,,,

by Anonymousreply 46February 10, 2024 3:11 PM

After doing a bit of digging I've found a site where the whole series is uploaded. I wish I could post it here more stealthfully. After doing a few keyword searches it's a common request on DL.

by Anonymousreply 47February 10, 2024 5:52 PM

R47- I have tried... I even googled datalounge and knots landing- nada.... Give me a hint

by Anonymousreply 48February 10, 2024 6:15 PM

Cool, just copy the address at the link. To lessen the risk the address will expire after a few hours. So good to watch it again, the quality is nice too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49February 10, 2024 6:34 PM

INSANE. R49 , you rule.

by Anonymousreply 50February 10, 2024 6:38 PM

I tie the best KL years to Lotus Point, from the time Abby and Karen inherited the land up to the point they abandoned the site. Lotus Point had the great advantage to get all characters together in various storylines without having to come up with any outrageous plot devices. After Lotus Point was gone they started to have very separate storylines where people hardly mingled anymore. You couldn't have Val at Sumner Group or Sumner in Karen's stupid radio station.

by Anonymousreply 51February 10, 2024 7:18 PM

I think that is 83-86 R51?

And I know that 1982 was pretty great too-

by Anonymousreply 52February 10, 2024 7:28 PM

Yeah, I think that was the timeframe. I think the 82/83 season when Abby is getting her own office at the bay and getting entangled with the Woodbridge (?) group sows the seeds about Lotus Point when they inherit land from Abby's and Sid's uncle.

by Anonymousreply 53February 10, 2024 8:00 PM

Thanks for that link. I just watched the pilot. I had no idea that Sid has another daughter and was married before. I also didn't realize that Gary and Val were so young.

by Anonymousreply 54February 10, 2024 9:54 PM

[quote]It's a shame that Knots Landing isn't streaming anywhere.

It's a shame that Follies was never made into a movie.

by Anonymousreply 55February 10, 2024 9:56 PM

R54- No thanks! I went straight to 1983!

Hated that first 2 years. I am here for the soap!

by Anonymousreply 56February 10, 2024 10:03 PM

I lived for Jill Bennett's increasingly bizarre and homicidal attempts to keep Val and Gary apart.

by Anonymousreply 57February 10, 2024 10:08 PM

I think that season was Knot's "comeback" was that 1988??

I am all about 83-86 and then Jill Bennett and Danny Waleska

by Anonymousreply 58February 10, 2024 10:10 PM

R36, is this the same music you referenced?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59February 10, 2024 10:19 PM

Early lesson (season 3, episode 17) at Abby’s school.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60February 10, 2024 10:30 PM

R59, that’s a great clip but it’s not the music I was thinking of. I just found it here and it starts at the 36 second mark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61February 10, 2024 10:45 PM

R31 - I recall at least one. It was at Sumner's ranch and Val and Laura are in a panic over a gunshot fearing Gary (or was it Ben?) shot Greg. Then Greg shows up and Val freaks the fuck out and goes running out onto the lanai with a jarring freeze frame on her face. Oh, that's right, they also did a slow-mo freeze frame for the cliffhanger when Val finally found the twins.

by Anonymousreply 62February 10, 2024 11:10 PM

R7 - Claudia Lonow was fired because she was out of control backstage. Heavy into coke and screwing the crew out in the open. Lonow has talked about it, and it even served as the premise for her fun but failed Showtime series "Rude Awakening". Lonow has done quite well for herself since then. She was also kind of a nepo-baby (parents in the biz, but not "famous" to the general public).

by Anonymousreply 63February 10, 2024 11:13 PM

Shit! You are all going to drive me crazy now....

I love "Specific character" themes- I have to go find Abby's theme for you--- I can still hear it in my mind, 30 years later...

Thats why I loved OLTL- There was Tina's theme- Gabrielle had multiple themes- her scheming theme, her sad theme, her romantic theme..

I believe abby's theme was played a lot during ' Val's baby's".. and earlier. probably 83-85

by Anonymousreply 64February 10, 2024 11:16 PM

r39 - Galina was probably the worst leading actor ever on the show. She needed to wear a cowbell just so her presence registered on screen. I have no idea why we lost Olivia (Tonya Crowe) with all of her built-in history for this insipid character and her painfully passionless love life with sizzling Alex Barth and then grandpa Gary.

by Anonymousreply 65February 10, 2024 11:17 PM

Does anyone know why Galina took over for Danielle Brisebois as Mary Frances?

by Anonymousreply 66February 10, 2024 11:21 PM

Damn! yes- here it is- Abby's theme. starts at :32

and after a quick review of that 84-86 era- Knots had beautiful background music/scoring.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67February 10, 2024 11:21 PM

Another beautiful example of the scoring on Knots-

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68February 10, 2024 11:24 PM

R65- Stacy Gagina was a charisma void. A black hole.

AGREED!!!!

by Anonymousreply 69February 10, 2024 11:28 PM

I was so caught up in how cute Michael was on Knots, that I totally missed how sexy Gary was.

by Anonymousreply 70February 10, 2024 11:42 PM

R66 - I don't know if she turned them down or just wasn't approached, or if she asked for too much money. But I think by the time Mary Frances reappeared (which of course turned out to not be Mary Frances but an uncanny doppelgänger), Brisebois was already transitioning into a musical career and no longer acting. She's had some success as a singer/songwriter/producer.

by Anonymousreply 71February 10, 2024 11:53 PM

[quote] I was so caught up in how cute Michael was on Knots

I hope you mean older adult Michael in the later seasons...

by Anonymousreply 72February 10, 2024 11:54 PM

Val’s house needed an exorcism or it needed to be saged or something.

In addition to poor Val, all of the other occupants were pretty unstable—Chip the murderer; Lilimae, who ran over Chip deliberately and then nagged her crazy son to suicide; wifebeater Joshua; low budget Manchurian Candidate Ben, who tried to strangle Lilimae one night; psycho wifebeating drunk Danny….

by Anonymousreply 73February 10, 2024 11:59 PM

[quote]I hope you mean older adult Michael in the later seasons...

Yes, but just to be clear, Patrick Petersen, who played Michael, is 5 years older than me.

by Anonymousreply 74February 11, 2024 12:03 AM

Alex Barth was sex on legs.

by Anonymousreply 75February 11, 2024 12:08 AM

R61, thanks for posting. I remember that music now.

The whole story leading up to Laura’s death was so well done. Her leaving the video taped messages was cutting edge at the time, and still resonates. I’ll always remember her telling Meg that she’s going to be told she can’t wear pink (because she’s a redhead) and Laura telling her wear pink regardless.

by Anonymousreply 76February 11, 2024 12:12 AM

I just finished season 3, episode 19, entitled Night. This was an episode written by John Pleshette (who never gets enough credit, in my opinion). It’s the episode where Richard has a breakdown and holds pregnant Laura hostage. What a great piece of television.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77February 11, 2024 12:21 AM

I wanted Gary Sandy, Gary Frank, and Gary Ewing (well, Ted Shackleford) to take turns sticking their fat knobs in my mouth.

by Anonymousreply 78February 11, 2024 1:40 AM

That cul-de-sac always seemed like a giant nasty inflamed pore that needed to be reamed out and disinfected.

by Anonymousreply 79February 11, 2024 2:01 AM

What happened to Laura's kid with Richard?

by Anonymousreply 80February 11, 2024 2:08 AM

Laura’s two sons went to live with Richard after she died.

by Anonymousreply 81February 11, 2024 2:19 AM

Except for the murder of Diana Taylor on General Hospital the plot line where she tries to get Val to commit suicide or make it look like she committed suicide on Knots Landing is the best soap opera plot.

by Anonymousreply 82February 11, 2024 2:37 AM

I wish that they had brought the show back in the early 2000s, with Mack investigating a eco-terrorist group, Paige and Greg married but cheating on each other, Abby buying the entire cul-de-sac, Karen relapsing on Vicodin, Meg growing up and taking more after Greg than Laura, Val and Gary's twins falling in with a weird cult, and Michael Fairgate returning to town married to a man.

by Anonymousreply 83February 11, 2024 2:42 AM

"an eco-terrorist group"

by Anonymousreply 84February 11, 2024 2:50 AM

In the first season, the cul-de-sac looks way less manicured. Val's lawn needs a good watering, some fertilizer and a trim. The actors must have felt like it was their real home after a few years of filming. Did the actors get to hang out in the homes they were filming in, or were they occupied privately like those in the soap Neighbours?

by Anonymousreply 85February 11, 2024 3:06 AM

In Neighbours the actors would never be seen entering or leaving the properties, only walking along the driveways, but I'm pretty sure on Knots I've seen them entering and leaving the properties, in and out of the front doors.

by Anonymousreply 86February 11, 2024 3:12 AM

[quote] and that other show with that ugly old lady and the winery.

How dare you! I was once married to President Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 87February 11, 2024 3:15 AM

Ciji washing up on shore.

by Anonymousreply 88February 11, 2024 3:15 AM

Remember Vals Karen haircut in season 12

by Anonymousreply 89February 11, 2024 3:20 AM

Yeah, R86. They def came in and out of the houses. There is a scene in maybe season 4 or 5 where Val is sitting on the second floor balcony outside her “room.” Van Ark said in an interview I saw that that actual room was freezing and the cul-de-sac was in an airplane flight path.

by Anonymousreply 90February 11, 2024 3:21 AM

Lisa Hartman's singing was pretty dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 91February 11, 2024 3:21 AM

Even worse, R89, was Val’s ultimate 80s do in Season 9.

by Anonymousreply 92February 11, 2024 3:22 AM

The show had problems coming up with a new opening credits identity after season 8. Season 9 had the slowed down, b/w intro. Season 10 was the same but in color. Then was the really boring sandcastle opening that was terrible. Then an updated sliding pictures computer generated variation with the same sandcastle theme. Finally the producers said fuck it for the final season and put back the rousing Season 5-6 theme, just truncated. (My favorite theme was Season 4.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93February 11, 2024 3:27 AM

If anybody had the Season 1 DVDs, they had good extras. The commentary on the pilot is fun with Van Ark and Shackelford. And there’s an interview with the two of them when Shackelford gets emotional and starts to cry.

by Anonymousreply 94February 11, 2024 3:29 AM

Is Knots Landing a suburb of LA?

by Anonymousreply 95February 11, 2024 3:33 AM

I loved the final season theme!!!!! It was fantastic and a perfect final ending

by Anonymousreply 96February 11, 2024 3:40 AM

Would anyone with the season 1 DVD be able to upload the pilot with the commentary track to a private YouTube channel or something? Don't want to awaken the Lorimar copyright obsessives.

by Anonymousreply 97February 11, 2024 3:42 AM

The season 12 “Val hit her head and is crazy” story was lame. Although it did seem they were hinting at or chemistry testing a possible Anne/Gary matchup.

I recall a scene in the Christmas episode of that season, in which Anne walks into a church service and sits right next to Gary, who is without Val but with the twins.

by Anonymousreply 98February 11, 2024 3:47 AM

Fucking Donna Mills-

I do not even care about whatever expert surgery she had to look this fucking amazing at 82!!!!????

It is her vibe and attitude that kept her looking and feeling this great-

Her moment at the end about the last chapter caught me off guard and solidified that this is one cool lady.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99February 11, 2024 4:10 AM

And how did she keep the same eyes/eye shape and not look like a freak??

Her surgeon is a MASTER.

She could pass for 58.

by Anonymousreply 100February 11, 2024 4:16 AM

It's funny that when Karen met Mac she hated him and called him a creep, yet 5 minutes later they went out to dinner, hit it off, and started kissing on the first date. The producers were keen to see Karen partnered and thought they had hit paydirt when they saw the chemistry of their introductory meeting.

by Anonymousreply 101February 11, 2024 5:53 AM

[quote]Did the actors get to hang out in the homes they were filming in, or were they occupied privately like those in the soap Neighbours?

The cul-de-sac was located at Crystalaire Place in Granada Hills. They were private homes, used for exteriors. (The interiors were studio sets.) I knew someone associated with Knots Landing back in the day who told me that the houses were probably paid for many times over by the $$$ paid by production.

by Anonymousreply 102February 11, 2024 5:56 AM

[quote] Lisa Hartman's singing was pretty dreadful.

R91 = Kim Lankford

by Anonymousreply 103February 11, 2024 1:56 PM

R93 - Favorite opening credits:

1. Parade of floating frameless boxes (seasons 3 - 8) 2. Spinning shoreline onto cul-de-sac (season 1 & 2) 3. Sandcastles (season 11) 4. Parade of floating color-frame boxes (seasons 12 - 14) 5. "Leroy Neiman" with overly dramatic head shots (season 9 & 10) - Bleech

To me also the theme music degraded over time. I'm partial to the earlier years which was more jaunty and aggressive. Overtime it became way more flowery and soft, taking a decidedly jazzy turn. It improved towards the end of the run, returning a little to the initial music.

by Anonymousreply 104February 11, 2024 2:19 PM

I thought there was an opening where Constance McCashin does a very agressive head pivot, but I can't find it, so I must have imagined it.

by Anonymousreply 105February 11, 2024 4:06 PM

The Connie head pivot was the opening shot in the 'artful' opening that most dislike, but I actually have a soft spot for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106February 11, 2024 4:19 PM

You didn’t imagine it, R105. It was the opening of Season 9 but McCashin was only in a few episodes that season before being written off so it was removed pretty quickly.

It was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 107February 11, 2024 4:19 PM

I liked how Karen’s kids were written as pretty real kids. Diana was a very realistic girl who could be a brat. The boys were good and they weren’t overly precocious. Poor Steve Shaw. What a horrible end. Can’t find the tribute to him they had on the show after his death.

by Anonymousreply 108February 11, 2024 4:25 PM

OMG, thank you R106!

I forgot about Karen's haircut.

by Anonymousreply 109February 11, 2024 4:30 PM

Getting rid of Lilimae-and not bringing her back after the suicide attempt, Val and Gary’s wedding, and Val’s “death”-didn’t make sense. Although Karen was given a throwaway line at Val’s funeral, saying that Lilimae and Lucy were both traveling and couldn’t back in time or something.

by Anonymousreply 110February 11, 2024 4:38 PM

Was Lilimae sent away for budget reasons?

I remember a season where the budget was so tight that Michele Lee worked for scale on a few episodes so that she could appear in all of the episodes.

by Anonymousreply 111February 11, 2024 4:42 PM

Yes Lilimae and Laura were both canned for budgetary reasons. They were all quite open about it. No 'wants to pursue other opportunities' b/s.

Michele Lee acknowledged that she voluntarily had her pay cut for the very last season because she felt that Karen was the glue that held everything together and should be in every episode (which I personally agree with). But she swears that she didn't work for scale.

by Anonymousreply 112February 11, 2024 4:58 PM

I liked Laura and was sad they killed get off. It was good to see her develop from a meek housewife who had daytime dalliances with men in bars to the wisecracking, sarcastic character she became. (The ending of the sad season one episode -when it appears she’ll keep playing around while Val watches aghast- it effective)

But her death had lasting repercussions all through the rest of the series and into the reunion movie so at least they never forgot her.

by Anonymousreply 113February 11, 2024 5:01 PM

Agree, R112. The show was a spinoff for Gary and Val but Karen dominated right from the pilot. The moment she runs over to the Ewings with her dry cleaning in hand, it’s her show.

by Anonymousreply 114February 11, 2024 5:03 PM

Yeah. Laura got a better plot in death than when the character was alive.

by Anonymousreply 115February 11, 2024 5:11 PM

They needed to fund a way to better incorporate Val/Gary/Karen/Mack into the Sumner Group storylines after Abby left and Lotus Point went away-they dud correct it in the final two seasons, but the seasons immediately after Abby left feel like there two different shows, with the vets in one corner and the Sumner Group characters (Greg, Anne, Paige, etx) in the other corner.

Maybe make Karen the head of the Sumner Foundation-Greg appoints her so she can create something that Laura and Meg would be proud of. Or have Gary join the Board of Directors or end up embroiled in a fight with Greg because he wants to buy Gary’s ranch and build houses.

by Anonymousreply 116February 11, 2024 5:35 PM

Donna does look great. She really looks even better than she did about 10ish years ago when she was on General Hospital.

Probably a combo of good living and a masterful surgeon. But she does have a bit of an old lady voice, and she's wearing more billowy things, so she may have osteo issues or the like.

Morgan Fairchild, unfortunately, went overboard with surgery and fillers and now looks like a Cabbage Patch doll.

by Anonymousreply 117February 11, 2024 5:45 PM

[quote]Val getting kidnapped by the "Wolfbridge Group"

It wasn’t Val, it was Abby. Val was with Gary, where they had narrowly escaped getting into his exploding car. The car explosion was really set up to be expected as the “cliffhanger” in pre-show press, which is why it was such a shock when they shot Karen and THAT was the big cliffhanger.

by Anonymousreply 118February 11, 2024 5:55 PM

R116 - The show went overboard with the Sumner Group stories. It felt like an entirely different show and had little to do anymore with the trials and tribulations of middle class suburbanites. They also royally screwed up making Paige more of a victim than a scheming bitch, they didn't know WHAT to do with Linda Fairgate who did have potential, and worst of all they foisted moon pie-eyed frau Claudia and her dull as dishwater daughter down our throats. Adding insult to injury, they quickly dispatched the two most interesting characters tied to the new family Whittaker (hotties Alex Barth and Steve Brewer). That show was a mess after Abby left, with Anne (Michelle Phillips) being one of the very few newer highlights.

by Anonymousreply 119February 11, 2024 5:57 PM

I loved it when the concrete cracked. That was so Knots Landing. You would never get something like that on Dallas. And I'm still in awe how DL and especially JVA pulled off the Verna/amnesia story without going all campy and blowing it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120February 11, 2024 6:29 PM

JVA deserves more credit than she gets. The scene where she transforms as she does her makeup — the really trusted her and didn’t chop that scene… I doubt we’d get something like that in our current era.

by Anonymousreply 121February 11, 2024 6:59 PM

Poor Val.

by Anonymousreply 122February 11, 2024 7:03 PM

Season One DVD extras.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123February 11, 2024 7:18 PM

Only seasons 1 and 2 ever got an official DVD release. I finally visited the cup-de-sac last year and I was sad to see that it’s a total dump these days. Construction and torn up houses plus way too many bubba trucks parked around there. I stayed 10 minutes and quickly left.

by Anonymousreply 124February 11, 2024 7:26 PM

R124, I visited at least 20 years ago and thought it was cool to see in person. It looked pretty much the same (some of the homes were painted a different color) but SO tiny. I think when they first started filming that whole area was in the early stages of development and not a lot of the surrounding homes were occupied and/or still being built. I think ET filmed in the surrounding neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 125February 11, 2024 7:30 PM

Here's the listing for Karen's home. Kenny's and Ginger's was for sale a few years ago too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126February 11, 2024 7:32 PM

R125 I had a similar experience when I visited Southfork probably 20 years ago. The house, although nice, seemed tiny and not like the Southfork we watched on Dallas. Also most of the land around it had been subdivided with tract houses. It totally shattered my idea of Southfork. I know, MARY!

by Anonymousreply 127February 11, 2024 8:12 PM

One thing I did notice about Knots is the set designers made a concerted effort to make the inside of the cul de sac homes resemble the exterior. The link above with Karen’s house. Unlike Southfork, which is a McMansion in reality but presented as a grand home on Dallas.

by Anonymousreply 128February 11, 2024 8:49 PM

It was really a great premise for a soap. The 40ish established married couple, the new married couple with the naive wife, the I just want to feel any kind of spark again married couple with the loud mouth husband, and then you have Val and Gary dropped into the mix. Even without the corporate stories and Sumner, they could have told years of story just from those couples for years.

by Anonymousreply 129February 11, 2024 9:02 PM

I only recently noticed that there is a picture window to the right of Karen’s front door that wasn’t part of the set. On the set, it went right to the garage.

by Anonymousreply 130February 11, 2024 10:34 PM

It's funny that Lilimae was turned out to be the missing piece that you couldn't get over. The show was never the same when she left. It would have been easier for me to do without Karen.

by Anonymousreply 131February 11, 2024 10:40 PM

I could have done without Lisa Hartman butchering music.

by Anonymousreply 132February 11, 2024 10:42 PM

For R132, 🎵I’m in love today, never thought I’d feel this way…🎵

by Anonymousreply 133February 11, 2024 11:09 PM

R132, I just now watched Lisa Hartman’s first episode. She sang Open Arms. I thought she sounded good.

by Anonymousreply 134February 11, 2024 11:45 PM

^ But Ciji's mullet was dreadful. And why did they give Val that horrible mullet? Didn't they learn their lesson with Ciji?

by Anonymousreply 135February 11, 2024 11:53 PM

R135, I’m right there with on the mullets. I think Karen’s might’ve been the worse.

Ciji‘s hair in her very first appearance was not doing her any favors.

by Anonymousreply 136February 12, 2024 1:09 AM

Reading all these posts and comments makes me remember how much I loved this show. It was just a… nice show. That’s all I can say. It was like checking in on friends. Very dramatic friends, but friends.

by Anonymousreply 137February 12, 2024 1:09 AM

Due to this thread I’m now in a rewatch. I started in the middle of season three. I’m now in early season four. The show is so good.

Anyone have theories on the Joe Cooper character. Think there was more planned for him? He gets a lot of airtime in season three and a bit so far in early season four. He has a girlfriend who pops us for two or episodes… overall, his character seems totally unnecessary. I like the actor. I just wonder if there was a bigger story in plan that was shelved for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 138February 12, 2024 1:15 AM

I want to be a Pollyanna. I don’t want to look at the world through rose colored glasses. I want the world to be rose colored. I want people to be nice. People should be nice. Nice should be the norm

by Anonymousreply 139February 12, 2024 1:17 AM

I want to send cash in the mail.

by Anonymousreply 140February 12, 2024 1:43 AM

Why did they kill Don Murray off?

by Anonymousreply 141February 12, 2024 1:59 AM

Too much plaid. There was just no way back.

by Anonymousreply 142February 12, 2024 2:11 AM

I thought Markie Post was a great singer on Knots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143February 12, 2024 2:13 AM

I love the way Donna looks in this reunion clip. Everything, especially the hair, is so age appropriate and she looks good. Love the hair. Of course Lee can never shut the fuck up. I've never seen Michelle Lee on any talk show when she just couldn't sit back and stop being "ON".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144February 12, 2024 2:17 AM

R138, I felt Joe Cooper was just a stopgap character they created to give Karen a male lead to work with before they introduced a new love interest for her. As if Karen wasn’t strong enough to exist on her own for a while but women always had to have a man, whether husband or brother.

by Anonymousreply 145February 12, 2024 2:20 AM

I wish they had known how to use Doug Sheehan better. He was such a great actor and so hot. His character was just meh. There were a lot of other options besides making him Val's doormat.

by Anonymousreply 146February 12, 2024 3:13 AM

Upthread, somebody said Karen became addicted to Vicodin.

It was actually the famous and not at all made up pharmaceutical “Escondine.”

by Anonymousreply 147February 12, 2024 3:21 AM

Jill and Val's pill cliffhanger. These two had such chemistry. Their scenes together were always awesome. Plus Jill looked really good in that wig.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148February 12, 2024 3:24 AM

Loved when Abby went up to Jill and said something to effect of, “From the second Mrs. Ewing to the soon to be third Mrs. Ewing- the first Mrs. Ewing doesn’t go away. Ever.”

by Anonymousreply 149February 12, 2024 3:39 AM

It's a shame that you think it's a shame.

by Anonymousreply 150February 12, 2024 3:43 AM

For you , r149

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151February 12, 2024 4:35 AM

R146 Sheehan chubbed out a little in his final year didn't he? Went from a jock to more of a beefy hunk, but he looked overweight in a couple of episodes. The one where he is jogging in sweats and is obviously out of shape.

by Anonymousreply 152February 12, 2024 5:41 AM

Thank you, R151. Love that scene.

by Anonymousreply 153February 12, 2024 2:34 PM

That scene begins Jill’s descent into madness. She became really paranoid about Gary and Val after that. Then Peter died and she couldn’t mourn her brother because of his con that he was Greg Sumner’s long lost brother.

Didn’t she steal his ashes from Greg’s house during Laura’s memorial service?

by Anonymousreply 154February 12, 2024 3:02 PM

Yes, she did R154. And smacked Paige with the bag his urn was in.

by Anonymousreply 155February 12, 2024 3:09 PM

OMG Jill was the best/worst. I was in Florida on Spring Break and we went to Disney World during the week she framed Val for her murder. My friend (who was also a KL freak) and I made sure we left the park early that night and were back in the hotel to watch that episode.

by Anonymousreply 156February 12, 2024 3:24 PM

There isn't enough talk about Laura and all she brought to the table.

by Anonymousreply 157February 12, 2024 3:47 PM

Ok, Constance at R157, how about Laura’s terrible haircut in Season 4?

To be fair, as it grew out, it started to look quite nice as evidenced at Gary and Abby’s wedding the following season.

by Anonymousreply 158February 12, 2024 3:53 PM

Jill was the shit. She should have had an Emmy

by Anonymousreply 159February 12, 2024 5:52 PM

I heard every word you said.

by Anonymousreply 160February 12, 2024 5:59 PM

Sheehan was already a bit chubs on GH. He always went up and down.

by Anonymousreply 161February 12, 2024 6:01 PM

Sheehan should have played against type. They should have made him Sumner's son. Out to gain control of the company or something like that hooked him up with Paige. Sheehan and Devane looked so much alike.

by Anonymousreply 162February 12, 2024 6:16 PM

They are just ten years apart. But I guess Hollywood can make that work. I gave birth to my eldest when I was nine.

by Anonymousreply 163February 12, 2024 7:21 PM

Loved Ava Gardner's brief run as Greg's mother, Ruth Galveston.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164February 12, 2024 7:38 PM

If they had such budget issues, why fire Julie Harris only to immediately bring in Betsy Palmer to play useless Aunt Ginny, who basically did the same thing Julie Harris did, only badly.

by Anonymousreply 165February 12, 2024 7:44 PM

Can we all agree Nicolette Sheridan ruined the show?

That ridiculous romance with a man old enough to be her grandfather.

Was she the Anna Nicole of the cul-de-sac?

by Anonymousreply 166February 12, 2024 7:45 PM

Nope, we can't. I liked Paige.

by Anonymousreply 167February 12, 2024 7:47 PM

I forgot about Aunt Ginny.

by Anonymousreply 168February 12, 2024 7:57 PM

I loved Paige and Sumner.

I guess Betsy Palmer was cheaper than Julie Harris, plus Betsy wasn't a series regular.

by Anonymousreply 169February 12, 2024 8:00 PM

And Jill's plans almost became unraveled because of new neighbor Frank, his lovely wife Pat, and mustached daughter Julie. The tension became unbearable when mustached Julie went over to babysit the twins, and Frank told Pat he thought Val a "weird neighbor" because he didn't know Jill was holding her at gunpoint.

by Anonymousreply 170February 12, 2024 8:18 PM

Who played Julie? Wasn't it Gene Shalit?

by Anonymousreply 171February 12, 2024 8:25 PM

Does anyone remember the retarded children of Knots Landing? There had to be something in the water there. Betsy & Bobby, Meg, Brian, Jason... they all suffered from Lindsay Sydney Greenbush disease. At least the girl who played Meg had a great stripper name- Rhianna Janette.

by Anonymousreply 172February 12, 2024 8:31 PM

Betsy and Bobby seemed slow, but considering they were raised by a mentally ill hick mother and a revolving door of lunatic relatives and stepfathers, they were remarkably stable.

by Anonymousreply 173February 12, 2024 9:13 PM

Once Betsy and Bobby were found, their story was essentially over.

The only children on the cul de sac who were developed were the Fairgate kids and Olivia.

by Anonymousreply 174February 12, 2024 9:16 PM

The twin brothers who played Bobby had some great moments, like when Danny Waleska revealed the truth about their paternity: "He's not your uncle, Bobby! He's your father!"

Danny was a very enjoyable psycho villain.

Long before "Six Feet Under," "Knots" showed us the really twisted side of certain Californians who make great first impressions but then go on to become your worst nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 175February 12, 2024 9:48 PM

People seemed to love Linda Fairgate, but I couldn't stand her. She never had the depth that other villains had on KL. She was so terribly one-dimensional. And next to Paige it was hard to establish another blonde mid-twenties character. Nicolette Sheridan really made Paige special.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176February 12, 2024 10:03 PM

The writers should have had Abby force Gary to adopt Brian and Olivia to ensure a trust fund for them, and distract him from Val and the twins.

I loved Olivia-she was the only character (except maybe Sid) whose approval Abby sought.

by Anonymousreply 177February 12, 2024 10:11 PM

Linda went through more metamorphoses than Kafka ever dreamed of. First she was an annoying control-freak Vegan granola girl. Then she became a hussy chasing after her husband's brother and her boss. Then she turned into a shrewd, sharp-elbowed business woman. Then she was a wounded little girl with mommy issues and fought with Karen. And ultimately she was just a corpse lying in a pile of her own blood with a slit throat.

by Anonymousreply 178February 12, 2024 10:43 PM

I liked Julie, but I though Betsy was a hoot with that crazy over-the-top drawl. Betsy was played more for laughs whereas Julie did more drama.

by Anonymousreply 179February 12, 2024 10:45 PM

Ava Gardner was a star, but in truth I got more fun out of Ruth Roman's longer stint on the show. My God, that voice. She must've smoked four packs a day.

by Anonymousreply 180February 12, 2024 10:47 PM

[quote] There isn't enough talk about Laura and all she brought to the table.

Laura never could get her drapes and carpet to match.

by Anonymousreply 181February 12, 2024 10:49 PM

R149 - Probably my favorite line in the whole series. It sums up Gary and Val's 14 year storyline.

by Anonymousreply 182February 12, 2024 10:50 PM

I think Richard was on to something when he accused Laura and Ciji of being rug munchers. They probably would've gone for it if he hadn't said anything about it.

by Anonymousreply 183February 12, 2024 10:57 PM

[quote] the new married couple with the naive wife

Ginger was a So Cal surfer chick with a wild younger sister, and she herself had had an abortion as a late teen (maybe even before Roe v Wade). She married a record producer. I don't think Ginger was all that naive, she was just kind of dumb.

by Anonymousreply 184February 12, 2024 11:04 PM

All Laura brought to the table was a Thanksgiving meal.

by Anonymousreply 185February 13, 2024 4:02 AM

Wasn’t the guy who played the older Fairgate brother an alkie who was dropped because of his problems? And then he died in a car crash a few months later.

by Anonymousreply 186February 13, 2024 9:53 PM

I love Laura.

by Anonymousreply 187February 14, 2024 1:00 AM

R145, thanks for the reply. Your theory makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 188February 14, 2024 1:02 AM

Laura’s goodbye.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189February 14, 2024 1:13 AM

I hated Linda at first, the frumpy clothing and the wig. But she immediately started doing her job, which was to rub Karen the wrong way. Once she started to develop a few sharp edges I started to like her, and was aghast at the way she died. It seemed as if she was being poised to take over KL. But she really wasn't, unlike Paige and Abby she wasn't a fully developed character and had no moral core at all. And they certainly took a sadistic thrill in finishing her off!

by Anonymousreply 190February 14, 2024 7:40 AM

R189 - Look at the hypocritical bitch Karen. Sure, she loved Laura...

"YOUR HUSBAND LEFT YOU! EVERY TIME YOU TELL THE POLICE RICHARD IS A KILLER YOU DISTRACT THEM FROM CATCHING CHIP!"

Oh, and Karen thoroughly enjoyed having Laura get her coffee and a bagel every morning at Lotus Point.

by Anonymousreply 191February 14, 2024 11:53 AM

Wasn't Linda written out because of a retooling? It's been a long time, so I'm probably mixing shit up. I thought there was a season where the show took a break for retooling because of ratings or something like that. They may have gotten a new show runner and writing team, changed direction and Linda was let go after that. I really liked the character and it seemed like the show had big plans for her and then poof it was over.

by Anonymousreply 192February 14, 2024 12:08 PM

I think her death happened in the first part of season 13. David Jacobs wasn't happy to see Linda Fairgate go. He was like 'it's fine if you [the showrunners at the time] mix things up, but do you actually have a plan how to move on without her?' Later that season he put the show on hiatus and hired new showrunners.

by Anonymousreply 193February 14, 2024 1:08 PM

R186, I had never heard that about Steve Shaw. Does anybody know any stories about substance abuse?

by Anonymousreply 194February 14, 2024 1:46 PM

[quote] think her death happened in the first part of season 13. David Jacobs wasn't happy to see Linda Fairgate go. He was like 'it's fine if you [the showrunners at the time] mix things up, but do you actually have a plan how to move on without her?'

Linda Fairgate was never that important of a character that they would need to retool the show for her absence.

by Anonymousreply 195February 14, 2024 2:22 PM

They did stop production in season 13.

The previous showrunners- the Lechowicks- left at the end of season 12 to write/produce their new show, Homefront.

The new writers created a bunch of stupid stories-Gary and Paige working on Tidal Energy, Val teaching someone to read, and the violent murder of Linda Fairgate. None of it felt like the old Knots Landing.

They stopped production to regroup. Ann Marcus-who created the Val/Gary/Abby triangle In season 3-was brought back. The show began to feel like the old Knots Landing, but the damage was done.

by Anonymousreply 196February 14, 2024 2:29 PM

R192- Read above (or actually we have discussed the retool in an old thread)

You are 100% correct. I believe Linda's death was one of the retooled episodes towards the end of the disaster season.

(I think it was 1991)

I recall her gory death- it was pretty striking and gory. And I had really grown to like her! She was one of the only good things about that season.

by Anonymousreply 197February 14, 2024 4:37 PM

Correct! 3rd episode of Season 13 (Sept 1991) is Linda's final episode--- R193 is right!

I just IMDB'ed it-

(For some reason I thought it was the end of Season 12)

Was Season 12- 90-91 the fucked up season??

by Anonymousreply 198February 14, 2024 4:42 PM

Paige was what? 17???

Fucking a 67 yr old man (Greg).

by Anonymousreply 199February 14, 2024 4:46 PM

Season 12 was the Lechowick’s last season. 13 is the fucked up one.

by Anonymousreply 200February 14, 2024 5:00 PM

Sheridan was 23 when she joined the show. At that point Devane was 47... and allegedly the same age as Paige's father.

by Anonymousreply 201February 14, 2024 5:14 PM

Lar Park Lincoln auditioned for the part of young Abby in flashback. Her debut episode is S9 E8, and bookended by the final episodes of Julie Harris and Constance McCashin. But Linda doesn't return for almost 2 years (S11 E2) minus the wig with the darker hair.

In between, Lar played Sally's friend (S10 E22) with her voice dubbed by Teri Austin who had just been killed off the show. This was several episodes before Donna Mills' exit and there were rumors that "Sally's friend "was to bring about a Gary/Linda romance.

by Anonymousreply 202February 14, 2024 5:17 PM

R202 Linda's debut is the same episode as the Abby flashback featuring Micheal York, with 2 different actresses playing young Abby and Karen.

In that episode Karen meets Linda, along with Kristy Swanson who plays Michael's love interest. Both of whom Karen disapproves of.

by Anonymousreply 203February 14, 2024 5:26 PM

Poor Val

by Anonymousreply 204February 14, 2024 5:48 PM

[quote] Both of whom Karen disapproves of.

Shocking, I know. I laughed when Paige casually tells Michael that his mother is a yenta.

by Anonymousreply 205February 14, 2024 11:59 PM

I must be in the minority because I actually thought that the Tidal Energy story had potential. It reminded me a little of the old days with Empire Valley and when Sid was working on his patent-less ethanol gas substitute. Plus, it had the always fuckable Mark Soper as a key figure, But it did go sideways as the show suddenly shifted gears. I also liked the potential of one of KL's socially aware stories by having Val teach some poor hick waitress (like her in her youth) how to read. For me, the truly awful later stories were (in no particular order):

Gary and the insufferable Kate

Gary and the insufferable Penny

Val's head injury and going crazy

Karen being stalked by her TV show producer

Paige overcoming her paralysis in a week or two

Oh, and the insufferable Kate

I don't know what season all that was, but it all happened around the same time (I think season 12, before Val "died"). I nearly quit the show which would've been unthinkable a year or two earlier. It never rebounded, but it did get better. I like the "Mac might have killed Meg's Aunt" story.

by Anonymousreply 206February 15, 2024 12:08 AM

Who was the insufferable Kate? And Penny? Was Kate Stacey Galina?

by Anonymousreply 207February 15, 2024 12:13 AM

Yes, Kate Whitaker was Greg's half-niece (Claudia being his half-sister). She was absolutely dreadful. She make Kim Lankford looks Oscar-worthy.

My bad, I confused the actress (Penny Peyser) with the character she played, Amanda. Penny was an extremely low-key but someone winsome actress, but her character seemed like even more of a doormat than Val did in the early seasons. She was raped (in a fairly graphic scene) by her ex husband who went on to marry Val. The character seemed utterly pointless. They tried the Ciji/Cathy Geary route by suddenly making her a nightclub singer and when all else failed she left town so fast she only had time for a roadside "See Ya" call to Gary. Total waste of time, and probably a total waste of the a decent but not great actress.

I also forgot that British chick who was "daringly" bisexual trying to bag both Alex and Kate. She was all caught up in corporate espionage at the Sumner Group (like everyone else was) and scared to death of some Big Bad who she ultimately shot dead. Another waste of time. She had an awful way of speaking, trying desperately to be super sexy by making every word sounds like she was trying to suck cock.

by Anonymousreply 208February 15, 2024 12:22 AM

Sally’s friend was such a misfire. Was Mary Robeson supposed to be Laura’s aunt? I thought she was supposed to be Laura’s mother, but that would’ve been a huge retcon…

Karen being stalked was a story I didn’t like either time. At least the later story where Karen was a talk show host gave us Robin Strasser… all we got out of her first stalking/kidnapping was that terrible haircut.

by Anonymousreply 209February 15, 2024 12:27 AM

I can totally believe someone wanting to kill Karen, but to hold her hostage? Or obsess over her? Pffft.

by Anonymousreply 210February 15, 2024 12:35 AM

Thank you DLers for all the clips! I adored this show.

by Anonymousreply 211February 15, 2024 12:52 AM

Could you imagine holding Karen hostage? My god she was an emotional vampire. 🧛

Hamas would have sent her and her rose colored glasses packing weeks ago. OMG

by Anonymousreply 212February 15, 2024 12:54 AM

I ❤️ Lilimae. ♾️

by Anonymousreply 213February 15, 2024 1:03 AM

I love the recent posts about not wanting to hold Karen hostage! I like Michelle Lee, but Karen’s self-righteousness got old sometimes.

Question for the historians: was Abby’s and Gary’s business venture with ethanol just dropped once Gary got his inheritance?

by Anonymousreply 214February 15, 2024 1:36 AM

The Paige-Greg pairing was so ridiculous.

They should have had Michael start banging Lilimae. It would have been just as believable.

by Anonymousreply 215February 15, 2024 2:23 AM

Gasp

by Anonymousreply 216February 15, 2024 2:29 AM

I wanted to eat Chip's ass

by Anonymousreply 217February 15, 2024 2:30 AM

I love how they subtly wrote that's Abby somehow knew not to f*** with Jill. Abby was a b**** but Joe was a psychopath and Abby knew or at least that's what I like to project onto their scenes together.

by Anonymousreply 218February 15, 2024 3:08 AM

Paige and Linda battle to become 7s on the Abby Scale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219February 15, 2024 9:27 AM

Who remembers Marcia, Karen’s assistant, who worked at both Knots Landing Motors and Lotus Point? She barely had any lines but was always in the background.

She once asked Karen if she could go to lunch and Karen barked, “No!!!!”

by Anonymousreply 220February 15, 2024 11:31 AM

Though Abby stole Gary from Val which was a huge shakeup to the show, the ultimate rivalry was between Abby and Karen. They were so fun to watch. Loved when Karen bathed in on Abby and Gary’s love nest and Abby tried to say something and Karen responded, “YOU SHUTUP!!”

by Anonymousreply 221February 15, 2024 11:44 AM

I agree, I think Abby was genuinely afraid of and respected Karen. I thought she saw Val as more of a nuisance.

by Anonymousreply 222February 15, 2024 12:02 PM

[quote] Question for the historians: was Abby’s and Gary’s business venture with ethanol just dropped once Gary got his inheritance?

If I remember it right, Abby secretly coordinated a deal for Sid's workable ethanol plans to be sold to an oil company (maybe it was J.R.) who of course crushed it once he had the rights. Gary was mostly drunk and horny during those years and didn't necessarily know what the hell was going on.

by Anonymousreply 223February 15, 2024 12:07 PM

My all time favorite episode was Phoenix Rising in Season 7. It’s such a showcase for Donna Mills. Were treated to a brutal fight with Gary, the cast all gathering at a gala where Abby finally comes clean about knowing Val’s babies were alive, Val pathetically going to Abby after and actually thanking her!!! On and on. It’s such a great episode. Noises Everywhere Parts 1 and 2 were also amazing. Just a fantastic show.

by Anonymousreply 224February 15, 2024 12:20 PM

Jill was only a 3 on Abby's Scale. Abby never would have got her hands dirty the way Jill did. She would have found a way to get even and subdue Val in much more a subtle way. Abby treated Jill like the pariah she was after she became nuts, but I think she also had a tiny measure of sympathy for her too.

After their first round of sparring, Paige was declared a 6 on The Scale which was a high achievement. Linda started as a 2 but worked up to a 4 or 5.

by Anonymousreply 225February 15, 2024 1:13 PM

The Abby Scale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226February 15, 2024 2:17 PM

Karen’s facial reactions are so over the top in this scene. She’s like a mime or something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227February 15, 2024 2:46 PM

I love that episode too, r224. Abby is threatened by Olivia, Peter and Greg over the course of the evening with divulging the secret that she knew about the kidnapping,. She becomes so fed up she reveals it herself in the most self serving way , while wearing an over the top gold gown.

The other character’s reactions are perfect. Karen whispers to Mack to do something. Val and Ben look terrified. Greg realizes Abby got one over on him. Gary knows Abby is full of shit but doesn’t know to what extent.

by Anonymousreply 228February 15, 2024 5:34 PM

It’s a shame my boyfriend refers to my asshole as my balloon knot.

by Anonymousreply 229February 15, 2024 5:49 PM

They slowly turned Cathy back into Ciji. She was even singing Ciji’s old songs at one point but it just wasn’t the same.

And the wedding dress she wore when she married Josh was so tacky, even the characters commented on it- including her dear friend Laura.

by Anonymousreply 230February 15, 2024 6:14 PM

Lisa Hartman was so untalented she could have been the third Landers sister.

by Anonymousreply 231February 15, 2024 6:15 PM

I think Michelle Lee was only contractually obligated to blink 6 times per episode. 👀

by Anonymousreply 232February 15, 2024 6:25 PM

Michelle Lee would go into this blank stare at least once an episode. We called it her "moo-cow face."

by Anonymousreply 233February 15, 2024 6:27 PM

I still rate people on the Abby Scale.

by Anonymousreply 234February 15, 2024 10:43 PM

Even though it was lean times, the last season delivered. Mack and Karen had their first compelling storyline in years, Val got to play dead, Greg and Anne made for a fun diversion, and even the wooden Felicity Waterman managed to come through near the end when Abby appeared.

by Anonymousreply 235February 15, 2024 11:19 PM

[quote] Karen’s facial reactions are so over the top in this scene. She’s like a mime or something.

14 fucking years on TV and you would think Michele Lee would have learned that TV is not the stage. She's always playing to the balcony, and so incredibly hammy she should have Boar's Head stamped on her forehead. That said, she does have a certain winsome quality about her that borders thisclose to camp. Without it she would be unbearable to watch.

by Anonymousreply 236February 16, 2024 1:38 AM

Karen was much less hammy in scenes where she could let her hidden lesbian tendencies shine through like with her relationship with Paula Vertosick (Melinda Culea), in which sparks seemed to fly. Karen's hate lust towards Linda is what always made their scenes compelling too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237February 16, 2024 3:46 AM

This is such a good scene. Watch until the end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238February 16, 2024 8:30 PM

Lilimae sweeping in and stealing the scene. LOL

by Anonymousreply 239February 16, 2024 8:42 PM

R238- The show found ways to creatively entangle Val and Abby for years. They didn’t have a lot of scenes together after season 3, but when they did, they were powerful.

by Anonymousreply 240February 16, 2024 9:00 PM

A nice scene between Abby and Val after Jill tried to make Val kill herself.

Abby softened towards Val after she divorced Gary, and she had remorse for hurting her. It showed that Abby grew as a person-that is what made Knots so unique.

That scene r238 is one of my favorites. I love when Abby gets out of her Mercedes and looks around the cul de sac before entering Val’s home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241February 16, 2024 9:06 PM

Any clips of Lilimae butchering Amazing Grace at Joshua's funeral?

by Anonymousreply 242February 16, 2024 9:13 PM

(after news of Val’s “suicide” attempt)

Abby: I’m afraid something terrible has happened.

Olivia: What? Did you run out of eye makeup?

by Anonymousreply 243February 16, 2024 9:23 PM

This is a nice scene from season four. Gary and Abby (not yet married) were in Dallas for the reading of Jock’s will. Val was there on a book tour for Capricorn Crude (JR showed up at one of her signings).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244February 16, 2024 11:46 PM

Lilimae. Karen and Laura with their long hair season as a bonus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245February 17, 2024 12:43 AM

[quote]Lilimae sweeping in and stealing the scene. LOL

I can't decide what I loved more, her coming in and saying Abby Cunningham or Ben's reaction in the final shot. Even though Abby's reaction when Val tell's Olivia, "go with your mama" was good.

by Anonymousreply 246February 17, 2024 1:14 AM

I love the way Lilimae calls her Abby Cunningham

by Anonymousreply 247February 17, 2024 1:17 AM

R238 that is a great scene - thank you for posting. So much subtext, so many incredible performances that had little to do with the scripted lines.

by Anonymousreply 248February 17, 2024 1:27 AM

It’s a shame you’re not slobbering on my balloon knot

by Anonymousreply 249February 17, 2024 2:19 AM

R246 - I was thinking about Doug Sheehan in that scene. He had no lines and very little to do, but his posture and face spoke volumes. Really good scene with emotional payoff for longtime viewers. Tonya Crowe was a pretty darn good child actress, too. Dumping Olivia so early after Abby left was one of many missteps takes by TPTB in the later years.

by Anonymousreply 250February 17, 2024 1:15 PM

Great scene R238- and it had Abby's theme too!! 2:30 until she comes to the door-

by Anonymousreply 251February 17, 2024 4:25 PM

The photography was so much warmer in the first 6 or so seasons.

by Anonymousreply 252February 17, 2024 4:31 PM

I totally agree R252- I mentioned this above-

The 86-87 season brought this weird videotapey "natural light' look... I did not like it at all.

The earlier seasons looked far more cinematic-

by Anonymousreply 253February 17, 2024 5:12 PM

It went to the credits too, R253. They always looked flush with the screen but when the change happened, they looked like stickers you could peel off.

by Anonymousreply 254February 17, 2024 5:39 PM

I can't imagine anyone here hasn't seen this already, but here's Donna Mills being interviewed for Pioneers of Television mostly about Knots. I like how candid she is and natural-seeming. She always seemed like the more stable, relatable personality compared to histrionic Lee and kooky Van Ark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255February 17, 2024 5:45 PM

Speaking of which, here's ol' Boar's Head herself, Michele Lee...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256February 17, 2024 5:46 PM

And finally Kooky Van Ark. I wonder if Constance feels left out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257February 17, 2024 5:47 PM

Let then have their interviews.

I've got a fresh bad of Cadbury mini-eggs with my name on it.

by Anonymousreply 258February 17, 2024 5:50 PM

Constance, aren't you afraid with all that overly dramatic head spins you might choke on one of those Cadbury eggs?

by Anonymousreply 259February 17, 2024 6:01 PM

The Constance is fat troll is so boring.

She looked great on The Locher Room.

by Anonymousreply 260February 17, 2024 6:05 PM

JVA's face looks pretty decent in R257's video, compared to some of the other photos we've seen of her in recent years.

by Anonymousreply 261February 17, 2024 6:09 PM

Constance McCashin seems like a smart, savvy, sensible lady who has been able to maintain a great sense of humor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262February 17, 2024 6:12 PM

R261, she says in the video she’d recently been to Larry Hagman’s 80th birthday which Hagman celebrated in 2011.

by Anonymousreply 263February 17, 2024 6:25 PM

Thanks, R262.

I'd invite you over for some of these family sized Little Debbie Zebra Cakes but there is barely enough for one.

by Anonymousreply 264February 17, 2024 6:28 PM

R13 so true about Gary having the biggest cock of the Ewing men. You know Jock had a puny cocklet with low hangers. That's what made him so mean and ornery. Poor Miss Ellie ached to be filled. Bobby got a decent sized cock which satisfied Pam. Not nearly as big as Gary though. And JR's cock was practically non existent. That's why he hated his bigger dicked brother and it's why Sue Ellen drank. Big hats equal small cocks.

by Anonymousreply 265February 17, 2024 6:29 PM

R265 - A friend of mine was hot and young in L.A. in the early-mid 80s. He was working as a waiter and got picked up by Shackleford which surprised me because that actor never really pinged for me. From his accounts, yes, Ted was well endowed and a mean fuck (in a good way). I guess he was bi? In the mid-late 80s, I hooked up once with Gordon Clapp (not a great experience) and he definitely portrays himself as hetero with wives and kiddies.

by Anonymousreply 266February 17, 2024 6:38 PM

I’d like to hear about your encounter with Gordon Clapp.

by Anonymousreply 267February 17, 2024 6:41 PM

He was a selfish, conceited jerk but at least the drapes matched the carpet. Also kind of pasty, freckled, and probably 20 years older than I was at the time.

by Anonymousreply 268February 17, 2024 6:49 PM

R266 had the Clapp.

by Anonymousreply 269February 17, 2024 7:03 PM

R261 I think that video was recorded on 2004-2006

by Anonymousreply 270February 17, 2024 7:05 PM

Thanks R263!!!! I thought she looked about the age when she played Gloria on Y&R

by Anonymousreply 271February 17, 2024 7:11 PM

[quote] I hooked up once with Gordon Clapp

Stories like this are why I love DL!!!!

by Anonymousreply 272February 17, 2024 7:24 PM

[quote] I read an interview with Joan can Ark where she said somebody called it “Knots Landing in a Funeral Home.” She was in awe of “Six Feet Under.”

She was hoping to be cast as a corpse.

by Anonymousreply 273February 17, 2024 7:27 PM

Ok, so I had to google Gordon Clapp. I had him confused with Gordon Jump of WKRP. But still a good story.

by Anonymousreply 274February 17, 2024 7:30 PM

What did you do with Gordon Clapp sexually? Where and when did this happen?

by Anonymousreply 275February 17, 2024 7:37 PM

The Malibu Beach house Gary & Abby move into in season 4.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276February 17, 2024 7:45 PM

Do you have a Clapper light in your bedroom R266?

by Anonymousreply 277February 17, 2024 7:57 PM

Love McCashin. She stayed out of the spotlight for years and wouldn’t be interviewed or anything I think out of concern for her Social Work career. She was at the TV Land awards celebrating the show but was edited out, even when onstage. There was a photo of her, Van Ark and Julie Harris from several years ago when they reunited while Van Ark was doing “Medea” in Hartford, CT. McCashin and Harris both lived in MA.

She’s probably retired now. Was glad to see this interview.

by Anonymousreply 278February 17, 2024 10:07 PM

When Ted was young he was hot for 1978

by Anonymousreply 279February 17, 2024 11:01 PM

I watched those interviews. That Michele Lee is a lot. I still love her, but wow.

by Anonymousreply 280February 17, 2024 11:07 PM

Regarding Conrad McCashin-

I am still pissed that he went inside my mother in Myrtle Beach and wiped his massive cock on the curtains.

He left her like an old piece of stale bread! Legs spread!

fuck you CONNIE

by Anonymousreply 281February 17, 2024 11:40 PM

Somebody say bread?

I'll grab the cheese and roast beef!

by Anonymousreply 282February 18, 2024 3:00 AM

If only charcuterie boards were a thing at Knots Landing in the 80s....I would shove Val into the fireplace for some salami and cheese.

by Anonymousreply 283February 18, 2024 5:14 AM

Whoever stole Ellen from All My Children was a genius. Her character was underappreciated she was really good. I was surprised to see her turn up knots Landing.

by Anonymousreply 284February 18, 2024 3:23 PM

Whoever thinks Gary is the best hog of the Ewing man never saw Bobby in his Speedos on Dallas hello I was about to walk out the door why it doesn't matter to me where do you want to meet yeah but I like the Red Robin a lot but it doesn't really matter to me what all right I'll be there I'll be there in like 20 minutes all right got you all righty all right bye

by Anonymousreply 285February 18, 2024 3:24 PM

R285, did you have your phone on speaker dictation by chance?

by Anonymousreply 286February 18, 2024 3:28 PM

[quote] Ok, so I had to google Gordon Clapp. I had him confused with Gordon Jump of WKRP. But still a good story

Bwaaaahaaahaaa. I could never be horny enough to fuck Gordon Jump. Or Gale Gordon.

by Anonymousreply 287February 18, 2024 3:32 PM

[quote] That Michele Lee is a lot. I still love her, but wow.

Tell me about it.

by Anonymousreply 288February 18, 2024 3:34 PM

R284 - Hi Kathleen. You were the poor man's Abby. If she was Neiman Marcus, you were the clearance rack at the local Lane Bryant.

by Anonymousreply 289February 18, 2024 3:38 PM

R276 - Did they find all of Claudia Lonow's coke stash?

by Anonymousreply 290February 18, 2024 3:40 PM

Loved in Season 5 when Eric has finally had enough of Diana and her bullshit and slaps the hell out of her.

by Anonymousreply 291February 18, 2024 3:44 PM

And here it is!

by Anonymousreply 292February 18, 2024 3:46 PM

Whoops. Here it is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293February 18, 2024 3:46 PM

The scene would have been better if the whole cast lined up to slap Diana. I can see Michael towards the back cradling a crowbar.

by Anonymousreply 294February 18, 2024 3:49 PM

R280 - This is what happens when you step into Michele Lee's light

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295February 18, 2024 3:53 PM

One of Michele Lee's better moments. The early-middle years (seasons 3 - 10) were insanely good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296February 18, 2024 4:07 PM

R296, thanks for that. God, chip was a creep and so well played (the slight grin on his face, the inflection on "Mom"! Note how little editing there is in that scene... Michelle knew her lines, how to deliver them effectively. The director got to let the camera sit still while she worked.

by Anonymousreply 297February 18, 2024 4:17 PM

Claudia wasn't an Abby replacement. Claudia was just part schemer, part comic relief. She was sort of a Chico's version of Anne.

by Anonymousreply 298February 18, 2024 4:31 PM

Lilimae mows that asshole Chip down. Unfortunately she missed Diana.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299February 18, 2024 4:37 PM

The combination of Diana being written as such an obnoxious little twit and Claudia Lonow's dreadful acting made me cringe everytime she got a storyline. Hated her.

by Anonymousreply 300February 18, 2024 4:39 PM

I think Diana was so angry because she looked like that, while her two bothers, especially Michael, were quite smoking.

by Anonymousreply 301February 18, 2024 4:41 PM

R298 - I hardly think the introduction of scheming, conniving Claudia mixing it up with Greg immediately following the departure of Abby was a mere coincidence. She was the new Abby. However, looking as she does, there was no way Noone was going to be as seductive as Mills although they certainly did waste time with her "romance" with smoking hot Boyd Kestner (Alex). Humor was also a part of all the characters. It took Michelle Phillips and Kathleen Noone to try to replace one Donna Mills, and still they failed. BTW, Phillips was funnier and believably sexy.

by Anonymousreply 302February 18, 2024 5:47 PM

Re Diana: If my memory serves, I always apprecited that at the end of the show, Karen travelled out to NYC to spend time with Diana... they had put the past behind and I think it's Diana who convinces karen to go back west nd reconcile with Mac.

Can anyone corroborate?

by Anonymousreply 303February 18, 2024 6:31 PM

R303, I think you’re correct. I think that story also included a mention of Karen’s brother Joe, who hadn’t been mentioned in years.

by Anonymousreply 304February 18, 2024 7:43 PM

That is correct, r303/r304. Karen and Mack separated for a few episodes in the last season, she became fed up with Mack’s obsession with Mary Robeson.

Michelle Lee urged the producers for years to bring Diana back.

by Anonymousreply 305February 18, 2024 8:02 PM

R303 - Yes, that was a nice touch. Even if "successful" Diana was living in what looked like a shithole studio in 1990s Hell's Kitchen...

It was kind like how they brought back Richard and Jason Avery for Laura's funeral.

Maybe they were making up for no one bothering to tell Annie Fairgate that her father was murdered. Come to think of it, did anyone ever tell Greg's first wife that their daughter, Mary Frances, was dead?

by Anonymousreply 306February 18, 2024 8:13 PM

Paige had a taste for geriatric semen.

by Anonymousreply 307February 18, 2024 8:14 PM

^ Geriatric RICH MAN semen.

by Anonymousreply 308February 18, 2024 8:18 PM

Jane Sumner was told of her daughter’s death, r306, and we did see her onscreen.

Afterwords they had the ghost of Paul Galveston speaking to a grief stricken Greg . They wanted Constance McCashin to play Laura’s ghost instead, but she turned the producers down and brought Galveston on instead.

by Anonymousreply 309February 18, 2024 8:18 PM

Jane Sumner reappeared on the show when Mary Frances died? I don't remember that at all.

by Anonymousreply 310February 18, 2024 8:20 PM

It was a very brief scene r310. We didn’t see her at the funeral; Greg called to tell her and she had a few lines.

by Anonymousreply 311February 18, 2024 8:24 PM

[quote]Paige had a taste for geriatric semen.

It sort of makes sense that Paige had daddy issues and sought out older men for validation.

by Anonymousreply 312February 18, 2024 8:25 PM

Doug Savant played a young Mac in a 1986 episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313February 18, 2024 8:40 PM

I like Doug's brother, Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 314February 18, 2024 8:56 PM

I did R286. I did. LOL

by Anonymousreply 315February 18, 2024 10:36 PM

I love the Jaws-esque music they play as Lilimae stalks chip and then runs him down. These clips. God I love them. Chip was so fucking hot.

by Anonymousreply 316February 18, 2024 10:51 PM

I thought Diana was written as a realistic teen her first few seasons. She was a pain in the ass, yes, but seemed real. But then she got skinny and met Chip and she was awful.

by Anonymousreply 317February 18, 2024 11:04 PM

I loved Jane Summer and her seductive phone-sex voice.

by Anonymousreply 318February 18, 2024 11:33 PM

Abby continues to rattle an increasingly unhinged Jill

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319February 18, 2024 11:40 PM

Was Abby kind of indirectly responsible for pushing Jill over the edge in the same way she was indirectly responsible for getting Val's twins kidnapped?

by Anonymousreply 320February 18, 2024 11:50 PM

That's an interesting take, R320. She was a genius at putting toxic thoughts in the heads of her rivals. Sometimes, Lotus Point, with all its surface glitz and hidden poisons, seemed like a metaphor for Abby--remember the season it was so contaminated with arsenic that Eric got sick?

by Anonymousreply 321February 19, 2024 12:12 AM

Did you hear that?

I just shit!

by Anonymousreply 322February 19, 2024 12:15 AM

Young Alec Baldwin at his hottest. Ted Shackelford who could fuck the hell out of me anytime he wanted to, even today..just fucking insane stories. Loved it.

by Anonymousreply 323February 19, 2024 12:21 AM

R323... LillieMae shaming Joshua off the roof... it gets GREAT around 2:20 - Alec Baldwin at his hottest indeed, but it's Julie Harris' scene.

Linda Hartman's hair is tragic, but it was of the times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324February 19, 2024 12:41 AM

R320- yes, 100%. Abby was the direct and indirect cause of Valene’s most awful moments. Direct- stealing her husband and blowing up her life. Indirect- Abby’s goons misunderstanding Abby and stealing the babies and years later, she goaded Jill into madness. It was rather genius and understated. And Val never knew.

by Anonymousreply 325February 19, 2024 1:14 AM

I got the impression that if anyone was going to fuck with Val Abby thought it would be her. She was fucking with Jill because Jill was poaching.

by Anonymousreply 326February 19, 2024 1:35 AM

Chip gets impaled.

Cathy screams.

Diana looks on blankly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327February 20, 2024 7:00 PM

oh be kind R327, I think Claudia was going for inital shock and disbelief.

I'm surprised all we got was a muted yelp and then crying from Cathy... good thing Hartman married Clint Black; she never had to work again, gets to dabble in music as she wishes, and had to produce just one child.

by Anonymousreply 328February 20, 2024 7:55 PM

Lisa Hartman loved showing up on the red carpet in the mid 80s in absurd getups that looked like something Bob Mackie threw away when designing Oscar dresses for Cher.

by Anonymousreply 329February 20, 2024 9:03 PM

Lisa Hartman must have sucked a mean dick, because there is NO other explanation for her success.

by Anonymousreply 330February 20, 2024 9:14 PM

Little Shithouse On The Prairir

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331February 20, 2024 9:48 PM

r330 you mean ate a mean bush. Hartman is as lesbo her husband Clint Black is gay gay gay.

by Anonymousreply 332February 21, 2024 12:13 AM

R332, that tale of Lisa being sapphic and Clint a legs-in-the-air gay have been arund for decades... is there anything to the rumors? It's the same with Trisha Yearwood and Garth Brooks... they're supposed to be gay.

by Anonymousreply 333February 21, 2024 9:49 AM

I heard Clint was a practicing homo right when he hit the scene in Nashville when I was in college. Garth has ALWAYS pinged to high fucking heaven. The camera loves Trisha, at least when she was younger, even in her fattest of days. When in front of the camera she followed her stylists decisions to the 'T'. Out of the limelight she has the walk and grace of a big fat trucker.

by Anonymousreply 334February 21, 2024 11:58 AM

I'm watching all these clips. Karen really doesn't blink.

by Anonymousreply 335February 21, 2024 9:04 PM

r333 My friend (a woman) dated Lisa for three months.

by Anonymousreply 336February 21, 2024 11:03 PM

Half of the cast visits dyketastic Ciji to threaten and beat the crap out of her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337February 22, 2024 7:17 AM

Lilimae and Ciji duet, with Lilimae on the autoharp.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338February 22, 2024 7:32 AM

I never knew Knot's lasting legacy would be so vital to the DL in 2024.

by Anonymousreply 339February 22, 2024 12:01 PM

[quote]I never knew Knot's lasting legacy would be so vital to the DL in 2024.

It checks off a lot of boxes for gay men of a certain age and demographic.

by Anonymousreply 340February 22, 2024 12:33 PM

The main differences between KL and other nighttime soaps (and even when KL was at its soapiest) is that they had, by and large, excellent actors who stuck with the show for years and years. And for every fantastical plot line, they grounded it with real situations, relatable characters who were warm and caring towards each other and were bonded. Even Abby, who was the main villain, had a conscience. You felt like you could relate to these people, unlike on any other nighttime soap. Dallas and Dynasty were good for a gawk and a laugh and an hour of camp, but that's all they were.

I got the chance to work with Julie Harris on her last Broadway show and when I met her, I told her how much watching KL meant to me growing up because my own home life was so horrible, and these people felt like family to me once a week. (And I made sure to distinguish that I didn't ACTUALLY think they were family). And we talked about the acting on the show and it was a lovely conversation, and I was happy I got the chance to tell her what an oasis it was for me. And I suspect a lot of other kids/teens/gays who watched.

by Anonymousreply 341February 22, 2024 3:50 PM

Where can I find a neon pair of lips or a duck for my apartment? Ciji was a style icon way ahead of her time! 💋 🦆

by Anonymousreply 342February 22, 2024 4:08 PM

Yes, found it!!!

Lilimae croaking out Amazing Grace at Joshua's funeral. 06:20

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343February 22, 2024 6:00 PM

R341, you really summed that up well. That’s how I feel about Knots Landing.

by Anonymousreply 344February 23, 2024 12:38 AM

R338 - Ciji had such thick, muscular fingers and she sure knew how to work them.

by Anonymousreply 345February 23, 2024 12:45 AM

I loved the scene when Lilimae comes by when Abby and Olivia are fighting over Olivia’s drug use. Abby breaks down and says, “Did you ever think you’d see the day when you felt sorry for me, Lilimae?”

Just a great moment.

by Anonymousreply 346February 23, 2024 1:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!