Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

LGBT-inclusive education policies cited among reasons why Punjabis are fleeing Canada

Karan Aulakh, who spent nearly 15 years in Edmonton and achieved career and financial success, left his managerial job for a comfortable rural life in Khane ki Daab, the village where he was born in 1985.

He told the BBC he was upset by LGBT-inclusive education policies in Canada and its 2018 decision to legalise recreational cannabis.

Incompatibility with the Western way of life, a struggling healthcare system, and better economic prospects in India were, he said, key reasons why many older Canadian Indians are preparing to leave the country

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29February 12, 2024 11:48 AM

Pity.

by Anonymousreply 1February 9, 2024 8:12 PM

Narrow career opportunities and a lack of affordable housing don’t help.

by Anonymousreply 2February 9, 2024 8:22 PM

[quote]Karan

'nuff said

by Anonymousreply 3February 9, 2024 8:24 PM

Bye bye.

by Anonymousreply 4February 9, 2024 8:24 PM

Nobody mentions homophobia among Sikhs. A very angry Siikh cab driver in NYC threw me and my boyfriend out of his cab after he saw us kiss each other while passengers.

by Anonymousreply 5February 9, 2024 8:31 PM

"There are thousands who move to Canada every year but we spoke to one guy who says it sucks. Also. some whacko on YouTube."

Great journalism there.

by Anonymousreply 6February 9, 2024 8:31 PM

Meh - I don't really see a problem with people returning to their countries of origin if they don't like the country where they landed.

It's incumbent on immigrants to assimilate into the culture where they settle, not the other way around.

by Anonymousreply 7February 9, 2024 8:32 PM

He immigrated and expected to become a Billionaire- didn't happen . Blaming it on LGBT and leaving is just another way to explain it to the folks back home.

by Anonymousreply 8February 9, 2024 8:39 PM

Canada is extremely dystopian in ways that have nothing to do with lgbt policies. The cost of living is insane in Toronto and Vancouver.

by Anonymousreply 9February 9, 2024 8:44 PM

Gay equality bad! Meanwhile...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 9, 2024 8:46 PM

Fuck the "edit" button, Muriel. We need a "shocked" button when W&W doesn't quite work.

by Anonymousreply 11February 9, 2024 8:48 PM

Sweetie, "dystopian" and "expensive" aren't the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 12February 9, 2024 8:50 PM

don't let the door ....

by Anonymousreply 13February 9, 2024 9:38 PM

R6, don’t interrupt agitprop in progress

by Anonymousreply 14February 9, 2024 9:42 PM

How many are moving from Nunavut to India?

by Anonymousreply 15February 9, 2024 11:02 PM

In a strange role-reversal from officially progressive Canada, the Sikhs I've run across in the States are libertarian, don't care about social issues.

by Anonymousreply 16February 9, 2024 11:18 PM

Sikhs care about nothing besides cash. Not social issues, not politics, just money.

A crude rude people.

by Anonymousreply 17February 10, 2024 12:13 AM

Oh! Calcutta!

by Anonymousreply 18February 10, 2024 1:25 AM

Good let them go back to that festering open sewer they came from then.

by Anonymousreply 19February 10, 2024 1:27 AM

[quote]Nobody mentions homophobia among Sikhs. A very angry Siikh cab driver in NYC threw me and my boyfriend out of his cab after he saw us kiss each other while passengers.

R5 shitty behaviour for sure, but that hasnt been my experience of Sikhs at all. Maybe the ones that come down under are different, all the ones I've encountered have been completely blase about gay stuff and not homophobic at all, less so than locals actually.

[quote]In a strange role-reversal from officially progressive Canada, the Sikhs I've run across in the States are libertarian, don't care about social issues.

R16 this is much more my experience personally. They seem to be pretty live and let live. Havent met any really awful ones

I wonder if the guy in OP's article is an exception in Canada or not? He is doing the right thing by all concerned to head back home if he doesnt like the culture in the West, wish others would follow his example if they dont like the West

by Anonymousreply 20February 10, 2024 1:58 AM

LGBT = trans and you know it.

by Anonymousreply 21February 10, 2024 2:12 AM

The Sikhs that I know are chill, obsessed with money, and hung!

by Anonymousreply 22February 10, 2024 2:41 AM

The Sikhs I've met were definitely chill, but didnt seem to be any more money focused than any other immigrant group. I cannot speak as to whether they're hung or not

But here they are really giving and charitable, making food for the homeless and needy, and made 300 meals for flood victims when there was a big flood here last year. I've found them to be good people

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 10, 2024 3:09 AM

It kind of sounds like he's retiring to India. He probably made enough money to live comfortably in rural India and the tractor driving is just a hobby. No one gives up a middle class life in Canada to go be a subsistence farmer in a poor country, no matter how much they hate gay people. I call bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 24February 10, 2024 3:16 AM

Good riddance to fat rubbish. Since India has a conservative authoritarian running the country, all the conservative emigrees will go back there. Fine. Better there than here.

by Anonymousreply 25February 10, 2024 3:25 AM

What makes you think the Hindu nationalist government in India cares about Sikhs. They’ll get their asses kicked there too.

by Anonymousreply 26February 12, 2024 10:26 AM

2 Sikhs who grew up in India then attended university in USA are among the kindest and warmest people I have met in my long life. Very human centered, despite being decent businessmen.

by Anonymousreply 27February 12, 2024 10:39 AM

And not a minute too soon.

by Anonymousreply 28February 12, 2024 11:34 AM

Fuck him and fuck anyone like him. I'm a tree-kissing leftie but I have zero patience or empathy for Muslims and their attitude towards LGBT people. It's pure and simple hatred. They are completely incompatible with western society. We gays have it hard enough without their importing their deep hatred and violence towards us. It' s much better if they feel this way about gay people then they should leave immediately.

by Anonymousreply 29February 12, 2024 11:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!