Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Aversion to bone-in meat or poultry?

I don’t like to eat meat on the bone. Very unappetizing to see a pointy chicken wing or cartilaginous leg joint or worse, a leg and thigh together. Or a rack of ribs or a t bone. Ew. Worse is whole birds like turkey or Cornish game hen. Cannot eat.

Anyone else experience this?

by Anonymousreply 49February 19, 2024 11:03 PM

Only when I was a child. Then I grew out of it.

by Anonymousreply 1February 9, 2024 7:51 PM

No.

by Anonymousreply 2February 9, 2024 7:53 PM

Never.

by Anonymousreply 3February 9, 2024 7:54 PM

No. I am an adult.

by Anonymousreply 4February 9, 2024 7:55 PM

I have a friend like this. A grown ass man, too.

by Anonymousreply 5February 9, 2024 7:56 PM

This type of aversion is a sign of Autism.

Congrats!

by Anonymousreply 6February 9, 2024 8:07 PM

My ex was that way, perhaps because he was raised vegetarian?

by Anonymousreply 7February 9, 2024 8:09 PM

No.

So go vegan.

by Anonymousreply 8February 9, 2024 8:10 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 9, 2024 8:13 PM

Tough crowd. I was a vegetarian for years, not autistic-thanks, have been tested. I guess I just don't love animal protein THAT much.

I don't get why fish bones and crustacean shells don't bother me, but they don't. Seafood is the exception.

by Anonymousreply 10February 9, 2024 8:25 PM

I don't have a problem with bone-in meats, but don't like cornish game hens or whole fish.

I don't like to eat anything that still has a face or anything that looks like it could get up off the plate and run, as a general rule.

by Anonymousreply 11February 9, 2024 8:28 PM

I cannot eat bone-in meat. It's a life-long aversion.

I make exceptions, such as if someone has prepared a bone-in meal and I'm sprung upon them as a table guest. (Hospitality is sacrosanct.) I see no reason to afflict them with my food prejudices, or even make them aware of them. So, I tear pieces off the bone and eat it anyway, insofar as is possible. (If we're talking chicken livers, or other offal, that's a hard 𝑛𝑜.)

by Anonymousreply 12February 9, 2024 8:35 PM

On and off, yes.

by Anonymousreply 13February 9, 2024 8:40 PM

My nephew will only eat chicken tenders and nuggets, no wings or legs.

by Anonymousreply 14February 9, 2024 10:37 PM

I gave a friend who has the same issue.

by Anonymousreply 15February 9, 2024 10:39 PM

Gave a friend 𝑤ℎ𝑎𝑡, R15?

by Anonymousreply 16February 9, 2024 10:40 PM

Have

by Anonymousreply 17February 9, 2024 10:44 PM

R14 - I never liked chicken wings, but no longer touch them since I chipped a tooth on one.

by Anonymousreply 18February 9, 2024 10:45 PM

So crunching the bones and popping the organs of Ortolons is a no?

"Once the small birds have doubled or more in size, they are drowned—and simultaneously marinated—in Armagnac brandy. They’re then plucked and roasted, which doesn’t take long, since there is little meat on their bones.

Diners pick up one whole, hot bird by the head—with that towel covering the act—and place it feet-first into their mouths, saving only the beak. Advocates say that the crunch of bone, the hot fat, and the bursts of flavor from the organs makes for a delicacy with no equal."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19February 9, 2024 10:50 PM

Ew.

by Anonymousreply 20February 9, 2024 10:52 PM

It’s said ortolan-eating was the last meal Francois Mitterrand ate before he died, legal or not.

by Anonymousreply 21February 9, 2024 10:59 PM

Op, i like to break the chicken bones and lick the marrow out. I know Ewww

by Anonymousreply 22February 9, 2024 11:01 PM

[quote] Advocates say that the crunch of bone, the hot fat, and the bursts of flavor from the organs makes for a delicacy with no equal."

Don't forget the tang of flavor from the refuse filled intestines as you take a bite and have the body waste squirt through your mouth.

by Anonymousreply 23February 9, 2024 11:07 PM

OP - I’m the same

by Anonymousreply 24February 9, 2024 11:10 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 10, 2024 5:15 PM

You need to try non-aversion therapy.

by Anonymousreply 26February 10, 2024 5:51 PM

I've been "no-bones" since day one. I've never had ribs and chicken wings. At dinner parties, I've mastered the art of discreetly navigating around bones. Just to clarify, it's just a personal quirk.

Bones? Nope. Boners? Hell yes! Nice to find fellow bone-avoiders here on DL.

by Anonymousreply 27February 10, 2024 6:15 PM

If you like to cook you know 'bones in' makes the food much more flavoursome. Slow cooked ox tail, osso buco , short ribs etc are delicious....all that bone marrow. Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 28February 10, 2024 6:37 PM

[quote]R28: If you like to cook you know 'bones in' makes the food much more flavoursome.

I find that 'flavour' loathsome. In supermarkets, I've nearly hurled over the odor of rotisserie chickens cooking.

by Anonymousreply 29February 10, 2024 6:40 PM

Forgot about this thread and it just popped into my watcher. I was and still am to a certain degree this way about poultry only. Ribs, a T-bone steak, bone in pork chops were never a problem. It's the greater fat content of dark meat, the cartilage, sinew, the redness on the bone, and clinging globs of fat that are gross. It was only when I got older that I began to enjoy chicken thighs and well fried wings.

I'll eat some drumstick but the pup gets most of the meat. I'm like PD/r12, though. I've always eaten at least some bone-on poultry when served as a guest, even as a kid because my parents watched my manners.

by Anonymousreply 30February 16, 2024 12:41 AM

OP doesn't like BONERS, got it.

by Anonymousreply 31February 16, 2024 12:44 AM

The thing about bone-in meat that throws me is the pink/red color of the meat next to the bone. I always think it's not cooked enough and that I'm going to get food poisoning, especially with chicken. However, every chef says that bone-in meat is juicier and tastes better.

by Anonymousreply 32February 16, 2024 12:49 AM

OP is a prissy little feeder, like the chick of a mother puking grub snot into its beak.

by Anonymousreply 33February 16, 2024 12:57 AM

No, since bone adds so much flavor.

by Anonymousreply 34February 16, 2024 12:58 AM

I'd rather not eat meat off the bone. I can, but I'd rather not.

by Anonymousreply 35February 16, 2024 1:08 AM

Yes OP!! As a child my mom used to make shake and bake chicken . There were sometimes hairs on the wings and I would singe them off at the dinner table . Cringe.

Too young and stupid to appreciate how gross . I agre about the bone in chicken — there’s a window at Costco where you can see all the chickens laid out, cooked.

by Anonymousreply 36February 16, 2024 1:12 AM

As a pesco-vegetarian the only bones I sometimes deal with are in salmon steaks or sardines.

by Anonymousreply 37February 16, 2024 1:19 AM

Cooking meat or fish on the bone isn't just for flavor (although it improves the flavor greatly) it also preserves the juiciness and helps prevent the meat and fish from drying out or overcooking. It's possible to de-bone things after they are cooked but I rarely bother.

by Anonymousreply 38February 16, 2024 1:32 AM

I love gnawing on bones. I clean a drumstick or a wing down to bone only. Nothing yummier than a bone from a roast.

by Anonymousreply 39February 16, 2024 2:39 AM

I never buy any frozen meal containing chicken because it always is the rubbery, mechanically separated chicken.

by Anonymousreply 40February 16, 2024 2:45 AM

It’s gross to pick meat off of skeletal remains.

by Anonymousreply 41February 16, 2024 3:04 AM

r10 Shrimp shells gross me out. They remind me of really thin toenails.

by Anonymousreply 42February 16, 2024 3:05 AM

R40 has a point. I get Trader Joe's lamb vindaloo rather than a chicken option.

by Anonymousreply 43February 16, 2024 1:17 PM

Inside vs. outside. My brother-in-law can't/won't eat chicken unless it's hidden - that is: battered, breaded and fried; with a sauce (red or white) and maybe some cheese; in a casserole - whatever: but it has to be "hidden chicken." While he hasn't taken a position on the bones, he's an idiot.

East Coast (my b-i-l) vs West Coast: my friend Diane's standard poodle, Oscar, who will eat anything, hidden or exposed but hopefully deboned, if you say, "Chicken" when you put it in front of him. Dog's smarter than my brother in law, though, and not nearly so picky.

by Anonymousreply 44February 19, 2024 6:48 PM

I don't like eating chicken drumsticks and wings. Part of the reason is that I feel like it's a lot of work for not much meat.

Sometimes, the bone is not the problem, it's the gristle and sinew that I don't like.

by Anonymousreply 45February 19, 2024 7:18 PM

I have an aversion to judgemental cunts who cannot mind their own fucking business.

by Anonymousreply 46February 19, 2024 8:33 PM

Op My husband is the same way he loathes meat on the bone.

by Anonymousreply 47February 19, 2024 9:51 PM

I'm with R45. No qualms about eating chicken breasts, pork, or red meat off the bone. But snapping joints and pulling rubbery gristle out of poultry meat isn't worth the tiny slivers of edible food.

I'm not a big fan of eating whole fish or fish steaks rather than fillets, but that's not so much squeamishness as worry about swallowing fish bones. My parents drilled into me the dangers of such as a child, and my friend's mom had to go to the ER over one.

by Anonymousreply 48February 19, 2024 10:01 PM

No! My favorite meal is a Costco rotisserie chicken and plenty of paper towels! Eating like a caveman with my hands while watching TV!

by Anonymousreply 49February 19, 2024 11:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!