Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are people who move to states in the desert like AZ, NV, stupid because of climate change and the ciris?

My ex bought a house outside las Vegas and I think he made the biggest financial mistake of his life.

by Anonymousreply 24February 10, 2024 2:57 AM

It's Las Vegas. Everything's a gamble.

by Anonymousreply 1February 9, 2024 7:40 PM

I live in Phoenix. Californians seem to be moving here in droves, and the cost of living is rising. Summers are longer every year. I hope to relocate to a slightly more temperate climate like New Mexico, or even the Midwest.

Climate migration is going to become a huge thing, for sure.

by Anonymousreply 2February 9, 2024 7:44 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 3February 9, 2024 7:45 PM

Water is soon to be the new oil.

by Anonymousreply 4February 9, 2024 7:49 PM

A friend of mine lives in Phoenix and loves it.

Besides the godawful heat, I can't imagine driving forever just to get across town.

by Anonymousreply 5February 9, 2024 8:01 PM

I’ll google “ciris” and get back to you.

by Anonymousreply 6February 9, 2024 8:14 PM

We have plenty of fresh water and you will have to pay dearly for it.

by Anonymousreply 7February 9, 2024 8:48 PM

Some dipshits are leaving warm weather states and moving to Duluth, MN. A place with maybe 8-10 weeks a year of nice weather. I’ve been many times. It’s a place nobody use to move to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 9, 2024 10:20 PM

Until there's a great loss of life on the coasts, people will move there. I live in Louisiana which is almost in the same boat as Florida, due to all the claims from hurricanes. Homeowners are going "bare" in FL, no home insurance or very limited.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 9, 2024 10:43 PM

When I moved to Phoenix I bought a new build for $188,850. 4bed/bath with a pool. 2612 sq.ft.

This was 20 years ago. Now it's worth about 600k. No regrets. The heat is bad but I hate snow and I live in a good neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 10February 9, 2024 10:47 PM

Ciri, why are people moving to phoenix?

by Anonymousreply 11February 9, 2024 10:47 PM

The West has run out of water, these storms will not be permanent, yet they move to Phoenix and Las Vegas, Los Angeles etc. in droves.

by Anonymousreply 12February 9, 2024 11:10 PM

And the taboo against saying, “Oh, no” when a pregnancy is announced is still firmly in place.

by Anonymousreply 13February 10, 2024 12:28 AM

They're fleeing the high cost of living in California, and willing to trade for the awful summers and the redneck neighbors.

Better them than me!

by Anonymousreply 14February 10, 2024 12:45 AM

Arizona is fucked. In an attempt to drive business and attract more residents ( one goes hand in hand with the other) they let the Construction industry/ building New Homes- and all it's corollary Sub-contracting industries dominate the economy for 25 years. I lived in North Central AZ for 20 years and saw first hand how when Track Housing engulfed the Phoenix Valley, the same land Developers simply moved North. It wasn't just that they developed Housing Communities to house Tens of thousands of residents over and over ahain-they did it while completely bullshitting the Water -Right deeds for the needs of such communities. Believe me when I say, the Chambers of Commerce in AZ cities and towns, made the most unscrupulous deals with Land Developers, KNOWING the water wouldn't be there. Now all over the state former older ranches and more rural communities are having an epidemic of wells run dry- but the promised "Water Rights" to newer developments are compromising access to modern water access for these areas.

Oh, but sure, Retirees and escapees from California flock like lemmings to the State in hopes of living in their MAGA-centric new Paradise- but someone forgot to tell all these Westward travelling transplants that some of the Greatest lakes in the West ( Anyone ever heard of the Great Salt Lake,) and similar in Arizona are as arid and barren as the desert itself.

Even worse- the region's one steady source of Water for four Western States -the Colorado River, has experienced great drops in water levels from years of drought at it's head in California.

And guess what? California wants to cut off the spigot ( or greatly restrict the flow of the Colorado) for their own State's needs.

Oh Shit, what are Grandma and Grandpa in Scottsdale gonna do when there's no extra water to irrigate their Golf Courses or the States Corporate Agrarian interests sucking up 75% of the State's quota??

by Anonymousreply 15February 10, 2024 1:10 AM

So much bad info in this sentence: Even worse- the region's one steady source of Water for four Western States -the Colorado River, has experienced great drops in water levels from years of drought at it's head in California.

Its head is in Colorado. Your head must be up your ass.

by Anonymousreply 16February 10, 2024 1:34 AM

Seven states get water from the Colorado, not four.

And it is but one of several sources of water for California. It supplies barely a third of the water for SoCal.

by Anonymousreply 17February 10, 2024 1:39 AM

Everyone believes the cost of living and inflation on Californians but that's not correct. It's just inflation.

by Anonymousreply 18February 10, 2024 1:42 AM

Ish sho shunee, vayish!

by Anonymousreply 19February 10, 2024 1:46 AM

I thought California has plenty of snowmelt water after the last two winters. Didn't those blizzards that dumped all that snow and rain last winter and this winter replenish their aquifers and reservoirs?

Anyway, I'll be long dead before the shit hits the fan, but the Great Lakes, long-term, may in trouble. Hydrologists have, for many years, measured the production of ice on Lake Superior and the other GLs.

It's trending down.

That's bad news. Ice is needed to protect the bio life that thrives underneath it. Wamer GLs water also can host a form of algae that is bad for bio-life and can render water non-potable (unpotable?)

Any notion that the GLs are going to be a centuries-into-the-future, long-term solution to fresh water needs, well, there's something to worry about.

But then again, we'll all be long dead. Sucks to be you, future generations.

by Anonymousreply 20February 10, 2024 2:17 AM

Wamer- Warmer

by Anonymousreply 21February 10, 2024 2:17 AM

As mentioned California‘s water comes from several sources…

by Anonymousreply 22February 10, 2024 2:21 AM

[quote]They're fleeing the high cost of living in California, and willing to trade for the awful summers and the redneck neighbors.

Yes, everyone not from California is a redneck. There are no good places to live.

by Anonymousreply 23February 10, 2024 2:41 AM

^^^ Hon, try and keep up. We were talking about Californians moving to Arizona - a state full of magats.

by Anonymousreply 24February 10, 2024 2:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!