Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Costco is basically boomers buying shit they don't need in bulk because they're afraid of dying, right?

I see these boomers with shopping carts filled with bulk items. They're never going to use all that Lysol.

Golden Girls explained this phenomenon ages ago when Sophia got a membership to the Shoppers Warehouse.

by Anonymousreply 73February 11, 2024 2:50 AM

[quote]I see these boomers with shopping carts filled with bulk items

Well, you'd only see them if you're at Costco as well, OP, so...

by Anonymousreply 1February 9, 2024 3:10 PM

People sure do love that Costco. It’s like a religious experience for some or they want to belong in the cool kids go to Costco club.

by Anonymousreply 2February 9, 2024 3:13 PM

Many older shoppers fully or partially support their (grown) children and/or grandkids now. It might be more of a "Conners" scenario than Sophia's subplot.

by Anonymousreply 3February 9, 2024 3:13 PM

Boomers? More like the breeder crowd. And SEAs.

by Anonymousreply 4February 9, 2024 3:15 PM

Uncalled for.

by Anonymousreply 5February 9, 2024 3:17 PM

Not just boomers OP. Gen X too.

by Anonymousreply 6February 9, 2024 3:18 PM

Boomers? Do you mean Gen X? They’re great btw

by Anonymousreply 7February 9, 2024 3:19 PM

and you care, OP, because...you need all that Lysol to clean out your filthy mouth?

ladies and gentlemen - say "Hi" to OP, today's intergenerational shit stirrer.

by Anonymousreply 8February 9, 2024 3:20 PM

[quote]People sure do love that Costco.

With Amazon causing a dearth of brick and mortars, r2, Costco provides a fun in-store shopping experience. It's no different than a department store.

by Anonymousreply 9February 9, 2024 3:24 PM

I drink coffee at home and can get a box of pods that lasts me a month, and yes I drink coffee at home everyday. It’s all about if you have enough items that you consume habitually but reasonably, and does it actually save you money. You need at a few staple items for it to make some sense. Otherwise it’s a waste.

by Anonymousreply 10February 9, 2024 3:32 PM

I find Costco useful. I don't enjoy being in there. I don't cruise the aisles. I stick to my list. I try to go when it's not busy (week nights, early in the week).

by Anonymousreply 11February 9, 2024 3:37 PM

[quote] Costco provides a fun in-store shopping experience. It's no different than a department store.

I don’t remember hanging outside Macys at 10AM on a Sunday morning with a crowd of people waiting with shopping carts big enough for a baby hippo 🦛

by Anonymousreply 12February 9, 2024 3:44 PM

Their Kirkland's cat kibble is fantastic. The annual fee is worth it for that alone (I have a T/N/R colony, and have regulars I feed at my neighborhood Jack in the Box).

I also stock up on my Dad's undershirts there; they're much better quality than Sam's Club/Walmart, Dollar General, or Family Dollar.

Thanks for reminding me I need to renew, OP!

by Anonymousreply 13February 9, 2024 3:45 PM

[quote] The annual fee is worth it for that alone (I have a T/N/R colony, and have regulars I feed at my neighborhood Jack in the Box).

What color is the Subaru, and do you have a handicapped plate

by Anonymousreply 14February 9, 2024 4:05 PM

We just spent $260 at Costco but yes, a shit ton of staples like TP, Paper Towels, huge box of coffee pods, booze, detergents, meat, vegetables... that's maybe once every 3-4 months

by Anonymousreply 15February 9, 2024 4:09 PM

[quote]They're never going to use all that Lysol.

Maybe you won't use a two-pack (gallon-sized, but still) of Lysol... and it shows, OP.

by Anonymousreply 16February 9, 2024 4:13 PM

What r11 said. Also, lots of Asians who own restaurants are in there. I also split a lot of bulk items with my mother.

by Anonymousreply 17February 9, 2024 4:15 PM

Boomers? What about Gen X? I’m a Millenial and love Costco, as do my 33 and 27 year old sisters. It’s very convenient. We also do BJs.

by Anonymousreply 18February 9, 2024 4:17 PM

They generally have very good quality electronics and kitchen paraphernalia. Much better than Sam's.

by Anonymousreply 19February 9, 2024 4:18 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 9, 2024 4:24 PM

Another bone headed “observation” by a clueless OP- looking for attention?

by Anonymousreply 21February 9, 2024 4:25 PM

[quote] We also do BJs

Family side hustle r18?

by Anonymousreply 22February 9, 2024 4:26 PM

You're sooo astute, OP. Omg, you're brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 23February 9, 2024 4:29 PM

They also have cheaper gas, if you care to wait in line for 30 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 24February 9, 2024 4:29 PM

Hubby and I go to Costco about once a month and buy the basics: paper towel, TP, dishwasher pods, laundry detergent and the like. There are several items that you cannot beat anywhere else: their Parmigiano Reggiano is pretty much the best you can buy outside of a high-end cheese import shop and it's a fraction of the price; the maple syrup quality is without compare, and when it comes to stuff like Cetaphil, it's literally half-price compared to anyplace else because they sell the two-pack for the same dollars as what Walgreens or CVS sell a single bottle.

Beyond the basics, I love shopping at Costco; hubby not so much. He's a point-to-point shopper (and it'd better be on the list or it ain't going in the cart), I'm a wanderer. And although I'm generally a private person, if I see something in someone's cart that is interesting I'll chat them up. (It helps if they're a big, handsome furry man, so there is that.) People at Costco are amenable to chatting, moreso than in other stores. When my niece was little, she liked going on Saturdays for the free samples, so I'd load her, my mother and anyone who wanted to go and we'd wander around for an hour at lunchtime for a cheap date although they would find things they wanted so we rarely got out for under a couple $hundred. And to top it off, the employees there seem happy.

If your greatest fear (gripe?) is not using cleaning supplies before you die, I'd say you have greater worries than what people buy wherever they shop.

by Anonymousreply 25February 9, 2024 4:31 PM

Yes because if you’re afraid of dying the first thing you want to do is buy a dozen rolls of paper towels.

When did “you’re afraid of dying” become the universal putdown?

by Anonymousreply 26February 9, 2024 4:34 PM

It’s bizarre to judge anyone on how much Lysol one has in one’s cart. Their situation is different from yours, OP, but that takes self awareness.

by Anonymousreply 27February 9, 2024 4:44 PM

Some have family members and neighbors with whom they split the bounty and cost savings.

Use your head for more than a dunce cap rack, OP. Enough of the MAGAtty generational divide and conquer tactic, too.

by Anonymousreply 28February 9, 2024 4:44 PM

R27 something he’s never been able to get around to. He lacks self awareness

by Anonymousreply 29February 9, 2024 4:45 PM

When you shit yourself as much as the average boomer you need 20 cartons of...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 9, 2024 4:49 PM

[quote]What color is the Subaru, and do you have a handicapped plate

It's actually a 2009 silver Pontiac Vibe, R14.

No handicapped plate, but back in 2011 I did fit 20 traps containing 29 cats in it, and transported them to local vet for spay/neuter.

I love my Vibe; she's a BEAST.

(However, when Vibe gives up the ghost, she'll be replaced by a dark green Subaru Outback, and it will be my fourth and final car.)

by Anonymousreply 31February 9, 2024 4:49 PM

Prepper mindset. Scarcity programming. Manipulative marketing is everywhere. Even at regular stores, you are often forced (through lack of choice available) to purchase double or triple the amount you want or need . For example, paper towel and toilet paper brands now come in huge sizes and in packages of 8 or 10, and often the smaller packaging is unavailable. This is not only due to the pandemic; it was happening prior and only increased. This tactic has encroached into other product areas too. Also prevalent is being forced to purchase the generic, and of questionable quality, store brand because no other choices are offered. This isn't because of any actual shortage. This manipulated perception of scarcity pushes consumers in a specific direction to spend more money, cleverly disguised as saving money to buy more in one package. Or manipulating you to capitulate to buying generic store brands. All of this is deliberate marketing. In order to get the quality I want, even if I have to pay more, I often go to a company's website and order what I need online in the exact amount I choose. This doesn't work for perishables and produce, obviously, but I refuse to settle for substandard quality or be forced into purchase more than I need just because I'm being manipulated to do so.

by Anonymousreply 32February 9, 2024 4:51 PM

OP, you might want to expand your mind a bit to realize that many of those shopping carts are full of items for commercial use, i.e. restaurants, motels, and other independently owned businesses that aren't branded corporations. That woman or man isn't just buying their own consumption, but rather for commercial purposes, re-stocking their businesses at the best prices available.

by Anonymousreply 33February 9, 2024 4:52 PM

I just opened this and the Indigo Girls started playing on my Bluetooth from out of nowhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 9, 2024 4:56 PM

OP's point of comparison on her hard-hitting question is to reference "The Golden Girls."

by Anonymousreply 35February 9, 2024 4:58 PM

OP knows nothing about how the world works

by Anonymousreply 36February 9, 2024 5:03 PM

OP buys one roll of toilet paper at a time; most likely from a 7-11.

by Anonymousreply 37February 9, 2024 5:05 PM

R33 OP doesn't want to expand his mind. He wants to shit on people.

Happily, most of the respondents here are shitting on him.

This is what OP really wants. Is OP Erna?

by Anonymousreply 38February 9, 2024 5:13 PM

Costco pisses me off because you can’t use your cellphone for internet in there. They not only don’t have WiFi, they block your phone company, too. Even in the parking lot, it’s maddening.

by Anonymousreply 39February 9, 2024 5:31 PM

People buy for each other. Families split the bill. I always saw women there who were obviously sisters and you knew they were going to split the products when they got home. “Here’s half of the sweet and low, here are half of the paper towels and napkins…”

by Anonymousreply 40February 9, 2024 5:34 PM

And now...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41February 9, 2024 5:35 PM

A lot of small businesses buy for their office supplies too.

by Anonymousreply 42February 9, 2024 5:41 PM

Hilarious that OP mocks baby boomers while referencing "The Golden Girls" to support her "argument" that boomers are afraid of dying.

OP watches "The Golden Girls" but cunts on about "boomers."

Oh, the irony.

by Anonymousreply 43February 9, 2024 5:48 PM

[quote]Hubby and I go to Costco about once a month and buy the basics: paper towel, TP, dishwasher pods, laundry detergent and the like. There are several items that you cannot beat anywhere else

Also excellent and excellent value: jarred pesto, organic salsa, kalamata olives (HUGE jars around $7), and sauvignon blanc (it's Kim Crawford for less than half the price).

by Anonymousreply 44February 9, 2024 6:04 PM

I buy for multiple people, OP.

Plus, I also buy for my club when it’s our turn to host get togethers.

It’s cheaper

by Anonymousreply 45February 9, 2024 6:06 PM

I love Costco, but the one thing I don't get are the people who RAVE about eating there. It looks like your standard junk food pizza and hot dogs. It doesn't seem like much to go on and on about. Am I missing something?

by Anonymousreply 46February 9, 2024 6:30 PM

I've never been there, but I don't blame folks for trying to save.

by Anonymousreply 47February 9, 2024 7:02 PM

The kirkland lunch meat turkey is really really good for the price. It works out to be cheaper by the ounce than crappy discount brands and it's actually edible. The snapdragon pho bowls are great. IDK if they're still selling them but they used to have these chicken sausages in the deli that were a very good deal. The refrigerated tamales are a good deal too. Sometimes I get the box of hardboiled eggs because I know I'm too lazy to make a lot of them.

by Anonymousreply 48February 9, 2024 7:14 PM

I'm in Europe and Costco hasn't taken off here despite trying to. I wonder if part of it is because a lot of people just don't have the room to store these bulk buys (most things from cars to roads to homes are way smaller in Europe). ALDI and Lidl are pretty good at selling things cheap by cutting the frills.

by Anonymousreply 49February 9, 2024 7:31 PM

I buy for our Moms For Liberty group when we host our orgi…I mean, meetings

by Anonymousreply 50February 9, 2024 7:56 PM

I love their chicken rolls and pizza

by Anonymousreply 51February 9, 2024 7:58 PM

R49 That’s exactly the reason my Euro friend. I wish I lived in London so badly.

by Anonymousreply 52February 9, 2024 8:08 PM

I have no self control there.

Their strategic positioning of impulse items / loss leaders is a Dr. Evil a level of in-store marketing.

I pulled a Kramer one too many times so I had to disavail myself of my membership.

Truth be told I do not miss it.

by Anonymousreply 53February 9, 2024 11:12 PM

Nah, I think they’re buying the extra for all their older kids and grandkids who won’t leave home or who are breaking into the Boomers’ basement rumpus rooms trying to.

by Anonymousreply 54February 10, 2024 1:49 AM

r10, you'd save even more if you bought reusable coffee pods that fit your machine with some filters and just bought bagged coffee. You can get over a months worth of coffee with one $15 bag. Plus, no pods for the landfills!

by Anonymousreply 55February 10, 2024 2:08 AM

I find a two pound bag of shelled green pistachios rather life affirming from the red dye pistachios of my youth.

by Anonymousreply 56February 10, 2024 2:14 AM

I think boomers are the generation that likes to stock up. The have full fridges and pantries all the time. My Mom never understood my empty fridge or that I would only go to the grocery store when I needed something, but wouldn't do shopping for a week. I don't know any other GenXer, which just might be my group, who keeps a well stocked anything - except a bar.

by Anonymousreply 57February 10, 2024 2:15 AM

Stocking up is a bad thing? Being stocked really helped me when Covid hit.

by Anonymousreply 58February 10, 2024 2:21 AM

Yes, OP, surrounding oneself in 48 rolls of 2-ply toilet paper and 700 k-cups keeps the grim reaper away.

by Anonymousreply 59February 10, 2024 2:31 AM

I enjoy going to costco sometimes. I usually will walk in, see how the check out lines are and that determines if it's worth it for me to shop there.

I love the Kirkland green tea and their halibut filets when they have them. That's the one thing that annoys me...I'll find something there that I really like and then it's gone. Some of their clothing is ok. Not great, but not terrible either. And it's a good place to buy appliances and furniture. Most of my furniture I got from Costco including a really great bedroom set.

by Anonymousreply 60February 10, 2024 2:45 AM

Their bulk drugstore section is addictive.

by Anonymousreply 61February 10, 2024 5:27 AM

I've never been in a Costco.

by Anonymousreply 62February 10, 2024 4:31 PM

I let my card lapse two years ago. The membership cost far outweighs my annual savings as a SGM.

by Anonymousreply 63February 10, 2024 4:34 PM

I get OTC medication there. Sometimes I just order it online, but if I’m in the area I’ll go there to get gas and go inside to pick some up.

I use Kirkland version of Zyrtec - a year’s supply for less than $20. Meanwhile CVS was selling a month’s worth for $22.

Also use their version of Prilosec and Pepcid. I have killer reflux.

During covid I went there once a month and get free covid test kits because I’m on Medicare,

Use AREDS vitamins for my eye health, which isn’t good.

Used to use a certain vitamin D gummy they sold, but they stopped selling them.

Used to go to their optometrist every year when I wore contact lenses but my presbyopia corrected my nearsightedness so I don’t bother with contacts anymore.

My husband buys food for himself and my son there, I don’t. The foods I like mostly aren’t carried by Costco and if they are, they’re too big. The cakes look good, but we’re only 3 people.

At Halloween I buy boxes of full sized candy bars.

by Anonymousreply 64February 10, 2024 6:36 PM

No, not boomers. Fraus and lots of Asians.

by Anonymousreply 65February 10, 2024 7:27 PM

I rarely see older white people at my local Costco. Mostly it’s middle-aged Chinese speakers, or people from India who bring their extended family with them. The former are very brisk and do not dawdle, but the latter tend to shop at a glacial pace, four abreast in the aisles while discussing every single item before putting it in their cart.

by Anonymousreply 66February 10, 2024 10:21 PM

So weird. My brother and his wife made a production of going there. Just two people buying giant cases of paper towels and TP.

by Anonymousreply 67February 10, 2024 10:58 PM

😘😉R34!

by Anonymousreply 68February 11, 2024 1:34 AM

Op is STUPID

by Anonymousreply 69February 11, 2024 2:35 AM

My Momma says Costco's is "the happiest place on earth and fuck Disney!" when she's had too many G & Ts.

by Anonymousreply 70February 11, 2024 2:46 AM

I stopped buying the OTC meds and vitamins because they usually expire before I can use them up. And with some of them, buying the store brand generic is much cheaper than the brand. Except for Tylenol. I always buy the brand on those.

by Anonymousreply 71February 11, 2024 2:48 AM

Our Costco is a huge slice of humanity. Everyone is there. Straight couples, Gay couples, old people, middle aged people, men shopping alone or with kids, and women shopping alone or with kids. I see Middle Eastern, Indian, Asian, Latino, White, Black, etc. I love it.

by Anonymousreply 72February 11, 2024 2:50 AM

Gen X here. Since I’ll need glasses, tires and probably a new iPad this year, I joined up again. Plus, someone said the travel deals are good too.

by Anonymousreply 73February 11, 2024 2:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!