Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Taylor Swift sold her “Eras Tour” concert movie rights to Disney for over $75 million dollars

Disney+ will exclusively stream her concert movie globally. They paid her over $75 million to do so!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57February 12, 2024 2:01 PM

Hasn't she learned anything about signing away rights? Couldn't she make more distributing it herself? I mean the bitch made as much as AMC theatres did last year. Seems like she could afford to distribute her own film.

by Anonymousreply 1February 9, 2024 1:44 PM

She is young. What is she going to do with her fortune? Won't she get bored of her majorette costumes and her cookie cutter songbook?

by Anonymousreply 2February 9, 2024 1:47 PM

R1 how would she distribute it herself to streaming? Create her own streamer? It’s either she sells the rights to one of the streamers or she pays a streamer to stream it.

by Anonymousreply 3February 9, 2024 1:47 PM

She has enough leverage R3 that she can strike a deal with a streamer without selling over the rights. That would allow her to take it anywhere she wants. Any streamer would WANT to be able to license her concert just for the attention it would draw to their other programming alone.

by Anonymousreply 4February 9, 2024 1:49 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 5February 9, 2024 1:50 PM

Wow. $75 million. I find 98% of her output so bland, but there's no denying she's a once-in-a-generation cultural phenomenon.

by Anonymousreply 6February 9, 2024 1:53 PM

R5, Taylor Swift is a corporation. You can't look at her as an individual. She probably has 1,000 employees. Of course she is paid, but she is paying the salaries of a larger company. It's still an insane amount money earned by someone so bland. But a lot of people need to get paid.

by Anonymousreply 7February 9, 2024 1:54 PM

R6 can you tell me what songs might apply to that 2%? I am still waiting to be convinced. I open, but waiting.

by Anonymousreply 8February 9, 2024 1:55 PM

Taylor doesn’t have 1000 employees. She was smart with her career and used gimmicks.

The people who grew up listening to her since her debut in 2006 (18 years ago) are now adults themselves or around the same age as her and are very loyal to her. I know people who paid THOUSANDS to see her Eras tour and it was seats far away. Not even up close. And when certain songs came on they bawled their eyes out because of the nostalgia.

by Anonymousreply 9February 9, 2024 1:57 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 10February 9, 2024 1:58 PM

Taylor Swift owned 100% of the rights to her Eras concert movie.

by Anonymousreply 11February 9, 2024 1:59 PM

[quote]She is young. What is she going to do with her fortune? Won't she get bored of her majorette costumes and her cookie cutter songbook?

I am sure she will become a "producer" forcing even blander versions of herself on us for the next 25 years.

by Anonymousreply 12February 9, 2024 2:00 PM

there are probably 300 people alone working on her tour, R7.

by Anonymousreply 13February 9, 2024 2:01 PM

She’s ridiculously rich. I hate that she lives in NYC and keeps attracting more and more Midwestern and southern people here. This city is becoming so bland but we aren’t supposed to say that apparently.

by Anonymousreply 14February 9, 2024 2:05 PM

Musk is right now in the middle of a stampy feet fit demanding $55.8 billion in compensation from Tesla. Some people are worth a lot of money.

At one point last fall, the combined net worths of Musk and Bezos was $500 billion.

by Anonymousreply 15February 9, 2024 2:06 PM

R13 look up how a tour works. Those people aren’t involved with every single tour date and usually the venue hosting her does most of the work. Not her own people.

by Anonymousreply 16February 9, 2024 2:07 PM

They’d have to pay me that much to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 17February 9, 2024 2:12 PM

The film grossed over $300M in theaters. I'm assuming she'll receive a hell of a lot more more as the views pile. That's a nice pile of cash for a film that was relatively inexpensive to produce.

by Anonymousreply 18February 9, 2024 2:31 PM

She received 50% of the gross for the movie. If it made $300 million she brought home $150 million (before taxes).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19February 9, 2024 2:36 PM

But does she own it anymore R19, that is the question? I didn't read the article.

and R16, I do have a strong feeling you pulled that one right out your ass. Does it matter that Jimmy works for her Tuesday and Bobby works for her Friday? They are still getting paid by the Era's Tour, which is a subsidiary of Swift Inc. When loading in a show, an artist brings their own riggers to each and every venue (whether they are the exact same people the entire time or change out doesn't matter). These shows are very intricate and have to be handled by the same people to maintain consistency. They are not relaying on the staff at Piggly Wiggly Arena in Hairynut, Alabama to rig the lights and sound for them. And doing ALL of that alone is about 300 people (rotating or not) The local Arena staff handles concessions, ticketing and seating, ushers, backstage greenroom setups, parking, security. That on a basic, basic level is how a tour works. Now YOU can go look it up.

by Anonymousreply 20February 9, 2024 4:07 PM

R20 again, you clearly don’t know how it works. They aren’t salary workers usually and don’t make much. If you think Bobby who builds is making $1 million for it, I have a bridge to sell you.

by Anonymousreply 21February 9, 2024 4:09 PM

A tour is not JUSt the people on the road. But even on the road you have makeup department, set department, costume department, lights, sound, teamsters, dancers, vocalist, musicians, caterers, servers. I am sure Taylor herself has a bevy of people JUST to assist her. Off the road have a payroll department, human resources, marketing, logistics, travel, permits, licensing - the list goes on and on for the number of people who work on a major World Wide Tour, ESPECIALLY one this massive.

by Anonymousreply 22February 9, 2024 4:12 PM

ok R21, I thought you actually knew something, but again you're stil circling your hole. No one is saying a Rigger gets a million. The ORIGINAL point was that Taylor Swift isn't taking home 75 million dollars. I said she probably employs close to 1,000 people from managers and agents (who DO make millions off of her) down to the person he is assisting the assistant to hanging the lights at her Tokyo concert.

by Anonymousreply 23February 9, 2024 4:15 PM

R22 yes. And those people don’t make much. Are you slow? You think those people are putting a dent in her bank? Seriously?!

by Anonymousreply 24February 9, 2024 4:18 PM

R23 Swift is almost independent at this point. Not many are making that much off her.

by Anonymousreply 25February 9, 2024 4:19 PM

[QUOTE]you clearly don’t know how it works. They aren’t salary workers usually and don’t make much.

I wouldn't be so confident. The truck drivers and riggers at least on the U.S. tour were all Teamsters, so they were making good wages. Other departments involving different trades may also have their own unions.

On top of that, Swift gave them and the other behind-the-scenes people $100K bonuses.

by Anonymousreply 26February 9, 2024 4:28 PM

R26 I need you to provide a citation.

by Anonymousreply 27February 9, 2024 4:31 PM

The girl isn't by any means poor. I am sure she has a cool 300 million in the bank. But most assuredly Taylor Swift is incorporated. She IS a business. I wouldn't even say she is the CEO of her own company. She is the talent, the creative director of the Taylor Swift brand. When you are talking billions of dollars, there is a boardroom of about 25 people managing a company of that size, employing hundreds if not 1000 people. She is a product, as are ALL major recording artist at that level. But unlike, say even a Jay-Z and Beyonce, she is not invested in any other business other than herself. She doesn't have a Tidal she can sell off for 350 million dollars, or a basketball team, or anything. She doesn't even have a record label like Rockafella making money off of any other artist. She has endorsements and collaborations, but that is it. So her only revenue stream is herself. That's probably why the boardroom concocted this inescapable fake romance with Travis, because she has to do all of the heavy lifting to keep the money coming in and promote her tour (free press) because it is going out just as fast. It's "True Love" because the tour is fucking expensive. Promotion, marketing and the logistics around a new album and world tour as big as hers cost as much as a Marvel Movie.

by Anonymousreply 28February 9, 2024 4:36 PM

[quote] I don't care how they try and justify it, but NO ONE on this planet is worth that obscene amount of money.

What a fascinating insight. I’m sure the entire planet is realigning its priorities accordingly.

by Anonymousreply 29February 9, 2024 4:36 PM

R28 she’s bordering on billionaire by all accounts at this point. Dont speak on what you don’t know. Learn your place. It’s essential

by Anonymousreply 30February 9, 2024 4:41 PM

She isn't as popular as she is because she's good. She is as popular as she is because of Coca-Cola levels of mass marketing and psychological warfare.

What I do kinda fucking love is that while Taylor is throwing herself in trap doors in the floor all over the world and Beyonce is dislocating her joints nightly, Rihanna still makes the top five wealthiest women while rolling doobies on the beach.

by Anonymousreply 31February 9, 2024 4:43 PM

Taylor Swifts albums have always sold millions of PHYSICAL copies and still do. Let’s stop trying to rewrite history. The numbers are available…

by Anonymousreply 32February 9, 2024 4:45 PM

[quote]she’s bordering on billionaire by all accounts at this point. Dont speak on what you don’t know. Learn your place. It’s essential

She is R30 or Taylor Swift Inc., is? Learn the difference. "It's Essential.."

by Anonymousreply 33February 9, 2024 4:45 PM

[QUOTE]I need you to provide a citation.

The "Let Me Google That for You" meme is too passé for 2024.

You are adult enough to take care of your needs, no?

by Anonymousreply 34February 9, 2024 4:46 PM

R30 that is how Kanye West went from a Billionaire to worth 500 Million overnight, because he isn't worth any of it. The Business around Kanye was devalued and lost millions.

by Anonymousreply 35February 9, 2024 4:46 PM

Get em Tay. Yo homely ass doesn’t deserve 4 Album of the Year Grammys but get them coins and make sure Trump is not re-elected. Use that clout amongst flyover. Love her.

by Anonymousreply 36February 9, 2024 4:54 PM

R35 Kanye fucked up talking shit about Jews and then doubling down. Those sneakers were selling like hotcakes before the controversy.

by Anonymousreply 37February 9, 2024 4:55 PM

Yes, that proves my point, r37. Kanye West did lose 500 million dollars, Kanye West Inc. did. Just as Taylor Swift isn't worth 2.5 Billion dollars, Taylor Swift Inc. is.

by Anonymousreply 38February 9, 2024 4:58 PM

And she owns her own brand

by Anonymousreply 39February 10, 2024 2:43 AM

[R26] I need you to provide a citation.

Are you OK now, r27? Did you search and learn for yourself? I know it's hard, but baby steps are here to help you along the path.

by Anonymousreply 40February 11, 2024 3:52 PM

[QUOTE][R26] I need you to provide a citation

AKA, "I'm too stupid to breathe and need my food pre-chewed." Without even adding the pleasantry or civility of a "please."

Why so vinegar when you want to attract flies? You're a rather mysterious person. You want (or is it "need?") people for your "causes," yet you're so repellent.

Have you spoken to a therapist about how you might make yourself more effective for causes?

by Anonymousreply 41February 11, 2024 4:01 PM

R40 r41 where is a source to provide proof to your claim?

by Anonymousreply 42February 11, 2024 4:17 PM

It's amply available to you, dear. Why not avail yourself of a precious resource so you can catch up to speed with the rest of us about the Teamsters' Union, its history and operation?

We are not here to cast off your ignorance. That's something for YOU to work on, r42.

by Anonymousreply 43February 11, 2024 5:16 PM

For r27. Teamster Truck drivers earn about 80k a year. And considering that it took Beyonce 7 Boeing 747 planes to transport one of her world tours around the world, I would assume Taylor would have more than one Teamster Truck driver on her tour - tour which laster over a years worth of work required by a teamster. Taylor's Swift Era's tour begin March 17 2023 and now will be going International for the rest of 2024

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44February 11, 2024 5:19 PM

These are the logistics of a world tour. There can be upwards of 130 or more just on the road alone, needing to be housed, fed etc... That doesn't include back of house staff when it comes to marketing, payroll, and all of the administrative and logistical planning need to move all those people all around the country, all around the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45February 11, 2024 5:22 PM

Riggers, who are part of a skilled technical profession, are also represented by the Teamsters Union.

I suppose Tay could have gone on the cheap and hired less proven and less skilled workers who didn't prove their chops.

R27 is a Libertarian 22 year old who INSISTS he and he alone knows how the world works. Too lazy to even attempt to investigate our laborers' history in the United States. He wants it pre-chewed and laid out for his feeble intellect.

by Anonymousreply 46February 11, 2024 6:55 PM

R44 r45 cool. And you think that is putting a dent in all the millions she makes? You don’t know basic math, huh?

Look up the money the Eras tour brought in. And it’s not even over yet.

by Anonymousreply 47February 11, 2024 7:13 PM

[QUOTE]And you think that is putting a dent in all the millions she makes?

How do you think this terrible problem should be rectified? Please, please, please tell us what Taylor Swift should have done to keep YOU, at least, happy?

Should other performers be obligated to follow your "needs" and idiosyncratic rules concerning tours? If so, please tell us why.

I mean, you present yourself as omniscient so you should perform for us and "prove" yourself, right? You asked us for proof of simple American labor history you could have learned if you had stayed awake in high school. Tell us more about our vast knowledge, Swami.

by Anonymousreply 48February 11, 2024 7:28 PM

Why is r47 such a useless, inchoate ass?

by Anonymousreply 49February 11, 2024 8:18 PM

R47, Tours like Taylor Swifts can cost upwards of 8 million, 10 million a show. So yeah, I would say 500 million is probably a dent in the 2.5 billion she is pulling in. But she is still up 2 Billion.

by Anonymousreply 50February 12, 2024 8:48 AM

This the modern day Pet Rock.

by Anonymousreply 51February 12, 2024 9:10 AM

Bitch is raking it in!

by Anonymousreply 52February 12, 2024 9:18 AM

Queen Bey just announced her cuntry album is coming out in March, obviously their competetion is ON.

by Anonymousreply 53February 12, 2024 9:21 AM

In this case - Queen Bey is out of her league when it comes to Swift R53. Swift has turned out to be a juggernaut.

by Anonymousreply 54February 12, 2024 11:38 AM

I think the description should be changed to - Taylor Tall and Plain.

by Anonymousreply 55February 12, 2024 12:51 PM

Taylor Swift’s entire career is the kidz bop version of I am Sasha Fierce Disc One.

by Anonymousreply 56February 12, 2024 1:27 PM

Bey had that bit about being shot into space in her Super Bowl ad, if ONLY.....

by Anonymousreply 57February 12, 2024 2:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!