Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Franklin is finally getting his own “Peanuts” special, over 50 years after being introduced

The special, “Snoopy Presents: Welcome Home, Franklin”, will give him a backstory that shows the racism he dealt with during that time period.

“After more than 50 years since being introduced, the first Black “Peanuts” character will get his proper due in a new streaming special on Apple TV+.

Premiering Feb. 16, “Snoopy Presents: Welcome Home, Franklin” will explore the origin story of beloved character Franklin Armstrong, who was first introduced to primetime viewers in 1973’s “A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving.”

While the cartoon’s inclusion of diversity was welcomed in the aftermath of the tumultuous Civil Rights Movement, the show hit a sour note with viewers by segregating its only Black character from the rest of the Peanuts gang — having him seated by himself on a beach chair on the opposite side of the table, during what would’ve otherwise been a festive dinner scene.

But the recently released trailer for the upcoming special takes the racist undertones of yester-century head on with a plot twist. This time, when the Peanuts crew sits down for a similar group meal, there’s a seat at the table for Franklin.

“Hey, Franklin, we saved you a seat over here,” Linus van Pelt says, motioning to a place next to Charlie Brown.

The official synopsis for “Welcome Home, Franklin” describes the character as a military kid who’s new to town. After receiving a notebook from his grandfather filled with advice on friendship — and a few futile attempts at trying to make new pals — Franklin enters a soap box derby race and eventually bonds with Charlie Brown.

Before making his TV debut, Franklin was originally introduced in Charles Schulz’s widely read “Peanuts” comic strip on July 31, 1968 — less than four months after the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

According to lore, a white school teacher in California named Harriet Glickman wrote a letter to Schulz in which she urged the cartoonist to add a Black character to the comic in an effort to bridge racial gaps.“

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 17, 2024 10:58 PM

I love this. I hadn't remembered that Franklin was not at the Thanksgiving table. I like his backstory too.

by Anonymousreply 1February 9, 2024 12:10 PM

R1 he was at the table, he was just sat by himself on the opposite side of everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 2February 9, 2024 12:20 PM

R1 they sat him on the opposite side of the table. None of the other kids sat next to him and he had to sit on a beach chair while the rest of them had dinner table seats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 9, 2024 12:21 PM

What about the lesbians? When are they getting their show?

by Anonymousreply 4February 9, 2024 12:30 PM

The Thanksgiving edition is BY FAR my favorite of the Charlie Brown specials. There's just something about that sad, dry-ass mess of a holiday meal Charlie Brown and Snoopy cook and serve up, is just so... perfect. Especially when we see Snoopy pull out that motherfucking GRAND turkey, slices it up, and puts it on his best China with all the yummy sides, just kills me every damn time. Snoopy wasn't 'bout to share that meal with his drip of an owner and his goofy-ass friends. You could tell he wanted to brain Peppermint Patty with one of those lawn chairs. Over the decades I have actually fantasized about serving my own guests the way Snoopy chunks those plates like Frisbees.

And the wishbone scene at the very end is just the most adorable thing ever. Love me some Woodstock.

Good on that Cali teacher, and good on Charles Schultz. I'll be watching this new special, and hoping it's not as gawdawful as that Pilgrim one.

by Anonymousreply 5February 9, 2024 12:49 PM

I love it, too, R1, and look forward to seeing this.

by Anonymousreply 6February 9, 2024 1:13 PM

Of course he is.

by Anonymousreply 7February 9, 2024 1:56 PM

😴🥱😴🥱😴🥱

by Anonymousreply 8February 9, 2024 4:10 PM

Charlie.....Brown? Surely that's Franklin?

by Anonymousreply 9February 9, 2024 8:00 PM

I hope it's good but I hope it has also a story besides "Racism." Franklin deserves a plot! I don't think black viewers just want to watch the lone black kid get micro-agressed for half an hour. Which makes me think this special is being made for white viewers - to make them realize how Franklin was side-lined. And I suppose that has its place. But give the rest of us a good proper story beyond that please. The soap box derby sounds cute though. Whatever, as long as Lucy is still a cunt I'll be happy

by Anonymousreply 10February 9, 2024 8:27 PM

Claudine Gay pencilled in to write the script.

by Anonymousreply 11February 9, 2024 8:28 PM

R10 or for all viewers who love Peanuts… your weird obsession with segregating viewers is outdated.

by Anonymousreply 12February 9, 2024 8:31 PM

R10, I'm sure they'll do both. It has to be entertaining,.after all.

by Anonymousreply 13February 9, 2024 8:40 PM

It’s a children’s cartoon. Don’t politicize it.

by Anonymousreply 14February 9, 2024 9:56 PM

R14 never watched the old Charlie Brown shows it seems

by Anonymousreply 15February 9, 2024 10:31 PM

Does Pig-Pen have an "origin story"?

by Anonymousreply 16February 9, 2024 10:46 PM

I think we know most of the kids backgrounds and their home lives but never Stanley.

by Anonymousreply 17February 9, 2024 10:47 PM

This will soon be followed by another special about yet another marginilized figure from the 1970s which will be titled, Charlie Brown presents: Welcome Home BONNIE FRANKLIN!!!

by Anonymousreply 18February 9, 2024 10:51 PM

A cartoon character experienced racism?

2024 America

by Anonymousreply 19February 9, 2024 10:55 PM

Who wore the strap-on? Marcie or Peppermint Patty?

by Anonymousreply 20February 9, 2024 10:58 PM

No one watches this shit. Woke Hollywood wonders why it keeps failing.

by Anonymousreply 21February 9, 2024 10:58 PM

Franklin threw the second brick at Stonewall.

by Anonymousreply 22February 9, 2024 11:00 PM

Is Mindy Kaling involved in this?

by Anonymousreply 23February 9, 2024 11:03 PM

[quote]“After more than 50 years since being introduced, the first Black “Peanuts” character will get his proper due in a new streaming special on Apple TV+.

JUSTICE FOR GUNTHER.

He had more lines on Friends than Franklin ever has.

by Anonymousreply 24February 9, 2024 11:08 PM

Oh please. If he switched with Charlie Brown someone would say, “Look! Linus, Marcy and Charlie Brown get a whole side to themselves and Franklin gets rammed in between 2 other people! Charlie B even has a comfy beach chair!

by Anonymousreply 25February 10, 2024 1:14 AM

Marcy is on a hard, uncomfortable, collapsible metal church chair. That’s how they treated dykes back then.

by Anonymousreply 26February 10, 2024 11:42 AM

R16, but later on, he became Pig Bottom at SF's Castro.

by Anonymousreply 27February 10, 2024 11:49 AM

I can't wait to see the million youtube videos of fat magas outraged with titles like "WOKE Hollywood RUINS CHARLIE BROWN"

by Anonymousreply 28February 10, 2024 12:06 PM

I love chocolate-covered Peanuts.

by Anonymousreply 29February 10, 2024 12:08 PM

Most of this is about very liberal (woke) whites, rather than black resentment/aggression. I see it in middle-aged white women more than young'ins.

by Anonymousreply 30February 10, 2024 2:51 PM

R3, why are they all eating erect penises?

by Anonymousreply 31February 10, 2024 3:02 PM

Are people going to have issues when it’s revealed that Franklin is on the downlow and that he grew up with a fetish for white, bald men?

by Anonymousreply 32February 10, 2024 3:06 PM

R18

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 10, 2024 3:08 PM

It’s out now!

by Anonymousreply 34February 17, 2024 5:24 PM

“ Franklin Armstrong, who was first introduced to primetime viewers in 1973’s “A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving.”

While the cartoon’s inclusion of diversity was welcomed in the aftermath of the tumultuous Civil Rights Movement, the show hit a sour note with viewers by segregating its only Black character from the rest of the Peanuts gang — having him seated by himself on a beach chair on the opposite side of the table, during what would’ve otherwise been a festive dinner scene.

But the recently released trailer for the upcoming special takes the racist undertones of yester-century head on with a plot twist. This time, when the Peanuts crew sits down for a similar group meal, there’s a seat at the table for Franklin.

“Hey, Franklin, we saved you a seat over here,” Linus van Pelt says, motioning to a place next to Charlie Brown.”

Idk why but when I read this it made me cry a little. The thought of them finally giving him a place besides them at the table is touching.

by Anonymousreply 35February 17, 2024 5:32 PM

I guess it’s all about perspective. Our Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners were always crowded with relatives. When I was a kid, I envied Franklin getting one whole side of the table to himself. He wasn’t being bumped by the person sitting next to him.

by Anonymousreply 36February 17, 2024 5:41 PM

So random, I watched ten minutes of this last night (it was super late and I needed to get to bed). Having only seen that small amount of it, I thought it was great. The animation is a notable step up from the old specials but done in a way that respects the established style.

by Anonymousreply 37February 17, 2024 6:12 PM

So where is Pigpen in the T-giving show? Why do they call him that? Doesn't he have a name?

I don't see him in that table scene with any food or even a chair so lucky Franklin for getting hi stuff there.

If P-pen wasn't there, do they call him after Chuck's grandma says to him "they all can come to her house" or is G-ma's place off limits to some?

by Anonymousreply 38February 17, 2024 10:41 PM

R35 go touch grass

by Anonymousreply 39February 17, 2024 10:48 PM

R35 I liked it too. It’s so sweet and tender and innocent while also honest, just like it’s always been.

I loved loved loved how toward the end we see Franklin actually bonding and chatting with the other kids, who are liking him, and he realizes no one is perfect but we are better together than apart. And then when he goes to sit on the opposite side of the table by himself (a throwback to the Thanksgiving special) the kids tell him they saved a seat by them for him to sit, essentially correcting what the Thanksgiving episode did.

It was very sweet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 17, 2024 10:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!