Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Subscription Scam

The businesses that are pushing for you to pay for a subscription is getting ridiculous. Today the car wash tried to push me into a $700+ per year subscription to get unlimited car washes. Recently I’ve seen electricians and plumbers shilling similar plans. Everyone wants a monthly money drip. Which ridiculous ones have you been pressured into? Are you sick of them too?

by Anonymousreply 29February 11, 2024 5:06 PM

Yeah this subscription shit is getting out of hand. They want them so they can guarantee themselves a steady revenue stream and hope that you’ll forget when the monthly or annual subscription renews and be automatically recharged.

by Anonymousreply 1February 8, 2024 10:28 PM

My friend says he is into scam fetish whatever the fuck that is.

by Anonymousreply 2February 8, 2024 10:30 PM

They are hoping you'll forget about it - which most idiots do. It's a SUCKER'S GAME!

by Anonymousreply 3February 8, 2024 10:33 PM

The craziest is cars making you pay a subscription for seat warming or other features.

by Anonymousreply 4February 8, 2024 10:37 PM

All the plumbers and electricians in my area are getting into the subscription game. If you have an emergency-which I did last winter- they won’t come unless you have a sub. I was a 20 year customer of this company. They installed the boiler I needed emergency service for, but nope.

I called easily 10+ boiler repair companies that offered emergency service and all but ONE wouldn’t come because I didn’t have a contract with them.

It’s quite a racket they have going.

by Anonymousreply 5February 8, 2024 11:01 PM

Insult to injury, your contact information is sold

by Anonymousreply 6February 8, 2024 11:13 PM

I loath app & software subscriptions...it should be illegal.

by Anonymousreply 7February 8, 2024 11:52 PM

I can see the value of electrician and plumbing services that have a track record.

I have invested heavily in upgrading to conduit and installing ADA plumbing fixtures as well as french drains in three basements.. Perhaps I’ve been lucky, but i have received excellent service and I will throw lunch money at union shops.

As far as window installers or roofers? Fuck no. Carpenters? My best judge of quality was my dad and he has been gone too long. Hit or miss on them. Flooring? No. Mismatched oak that could have been done by Empire (988-2300) installed just as well without the bullshit. $140 in Burgee King lunches and they cleaned up everything.

by Anonymousreply 8February 9, 2024 12:05 AM

The hand held card taker that accepts tips, while the big one you’ve always used doesn’t.

by Anonymousreply 9February 9, 2024 12:07 AM

I don’t do anything that takes a sub except my 35.00 a month cell phone, 13.00 month Napster, once a year renters insurance. I won’t do auto delivery, or any “premium” enrollment to online shopping, no Amazon, Costco.

by Anonymousreply 10February 9, 2024 12:15 AM

Stop bitchin. Since when can't you just say no? Or find someone else. Or use another service. Geesh, it's like they're holding a gun to your head?

It's one of greatest things about America AND capitalism.... CHOICE !!

by Anonymousreply 11February 9, 2024 12:21 AM

$500 to be on the snowplow guy's "list." And then each time when it snows (varies by depth) $150 to $400.

I bought a snowblower two winters ago and have yet to use it. It's almost paid for itself, just sitting in the garage.

by Anonymousreply 12February 9, 2024 12:34 AM

R5? Do it yourself! That's what YouTube is for.

I was amazed at what I was able to learn how to do myself by watching YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 13February 9, 2024 12:38 AM

I was pissed when Microsoft moved to subscription. All my documents were held hostage until I joined their yearly club.

by Anonymousreply 14February 9, 2024 12:40 AM

Peachy Boy's unlimited anal . Tiresome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 9, 2024 12:43 AM

[quote]I called easily 10+ boiler repair companies that offered emergency service and all but ONE wouldn’t come because I didn’t have a contract with them.

Bomb/destroy them on social media. I haven't come across this particular problem, but I'd seriously consider a carpet bombing approach if I did. Google reviews are incredibly influential.

I'm sure someone will say it is overkill, but this shit won't stop until they start losing business.

by Anonymousreply 16February 9, 2024 12:48 AM

People pay for Napster?

by Anonymousreply 17February 9, 2024 12:49 AM

I think that Napster subscription might be a scam.

by Anonymousreply 18February 9, 2024 1:33 AM

R10 Napster? Please seek help from a youngster grandpa.

by Anonymousreply 19February 9, 2024 1:44 AM

I have some subscriptions like Harry’s razors and Chewy dog food where they give you a heads up that they are about to ship, so you have time to cancel or reschedule.

Others just ship without warning, and I find that sketchy as hell.

by Anonymousreply 20February 9, 2024 1:47 AM

R13, I agree that YouTube and DIY is the way to go especially these days, but in that particular situation it would have been way too complicated. It was electrical shit with the motherboard and it needed a new part too.

by Anonymousreply 21February 9, 2024 3:07 AM

To Napster eIdergay: Download Soulseek and thank me later!

by Anonymousreply 22February 9, 2024 10:37 AM

My rentboy doesn't offer a subscription plan. Yet.

by Anonymousreply 23February 9, 2024 1:10 PM

Don't forget the AOL subscription

by Anonymousreply 24February 9, 2024 1:38 PM

I would have to have billions falling from my pockets to contemplate a >$700 a year car wash subscription.

by Anonymousreply 25February 9, 2024 3:09 PM

That wouldn't work here, people are far too poor for that shit. It's a thing for the middle and rich.

by Anonymousreply 26February 9, 2024 5:12 PM

I think even the rich would think that was too much.

by Anonymousreply 27February 9, 2024 7:07 PM

There's another twist to the unlimited car wash scam: they overcharge your credit card.

There were lots of complaints/comments about allegedly double billing the same month's charge twice, repeatedly, in NextDoor last week about two car washes doing just that.

I actually enjoy washing mine myself, so not an issue for me.

by Anonymousreply 28February 9, 2024 7:38 PM

Remember the Book of the Month Club? Or The Literary Guild, or even the "Quality Paperback Club?" You'd get four or five books for a couple of bucks (cheaper "club" editions not the real thing), and then books would start arriving in the mail at an alarming rate if you forgot to cancel that month's "selection" - this was all pre internet and was done by mail, so it never failed that the book would reach you before your cancellation slip reached them. Plus you were on the hook for something like four books in a calendar year, so you ended up paying close to retail plus shipping for those selections you did want.

Outfits like Columbia House improved on this model, offering you 10 albums (or later, 10 cassettes) for like a penny - but at least they had a bigger and more varied catalog to choose from than the book clubs. But the model was the same: they relied on the fact that their "subscribers" forgot they subscribed. The more things change,,,,,

And there's a SUCKER born every minute!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29February 11, 2024 5:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!