Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kumail Nanjiani Began Counselling to Address Trauma from Marvel's Eternals Backlash

"It was really, really hard."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57February 11, 2024 5:10 AM

because he took the steroids for nothing?

by Anonymousreply 1February 8, 2024 6:26 PM

Used to be a Marvel movie was a guarantee of success and future employment.

I'd be depressed if I signed up believing that and the opposite turned out to be true.

by Anonymousreply 2February 8, 2024 6:30 PM

My heart is torn asunder by this grievous tale of profound film-critic-injustice and incomprehensible movie-star-ego sorrow.

by Anonymousreply 3February 8, 2024 6:31 PM

The film was cinematically beautiful and the acting in it by all was great. It just suffered from a really bad story that went completely stupid in the climax.

The world almost exploded as a Celestial hatched and only the Eternals showed up?!

The world almost ended 15 other times in other Marvel movies and everyone EXCEPT the Eternals show up?

For a ‘Cinematic Universe’ that prides itself on everything fitting together in a long range plan, this movie and story was shoe-horned in and it showed.

by Anonymousreply 4February 8, 2024 6:34 PM

[quote]r4 The world almost exploded as a Celestial hatched and only the Eternals showed up?!

SPOILER alert, please!

Some of us have never seen a Marvel movie.

by Anonymousreply 5February 8, 2024 6:37 PM

Men today are such pussies.

by Anonymousreply 6February 8, 2024 6:39 PM

R5. And some of us never will.

by Anonymousreply 7February 8, 2024 6:39 PM

We already have rules about the age when someone can become president, how young you can be. We should have the same rules about being too old.

by Anonymousreply 8February 8, 2024 6:43 PM

He ought to go into counseling to confront the fact that he's ugly and has no talent and is only getting roles because he's a diversity hire.

by Anonymousreply 9February 8, 2024 6:47 PM

I tried to watch it. I couldn’t get more than 10 minutes into it, maybe less. The writing, the dialogue was so terrible. It was like something a kid in high school would write. I know that’s the audience they are going for, but that doesn’t mean they should but that level of dialogue in the mouth of every adult character.

by Anonymousreply 10February 8, 2024 6:50 PM

Marvel seemed to be hitting the D-list heroes when they decided to do this movie.

by Anonymousreply 11February 8, 2024 6:52 PM

He got paid $3 million for appearing in it, it was a large role in a major movie, and he had the studio pay for him to spend a year with trainers and dieticians getting a fantastic body for the part.

And yet, he feels sorry for himself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 8, 2024 6:53 PM

He's lovely and in great shape. Eternals did good, but not great at the box office. That has more to do with the script than any of the actors.

by Anonymousreply 13February 8, 2024 6:53 PM

[quote] He ought to go into counseling to confront the fact that he's ugly and has no talent and is only getting roles because he's a diversity hire.

Any Disney movie that has a cast that looks like a random selection from the United Nations Assembly is highly likely to suck. That’s because the casting is the whole point of the production. It’s not for entertainment. It’s only to show how serious Disney is about diversity. Acting becomes irrelevant, dialogue becomes irrelevant, story becomes irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 14February 8, 2024 6:54 PM

He and Barry Keoghan could become the Medusa Twins, the most dangerous supervillains of all time. One glance at either of them turns a man to stone.

by Anonymousreply 15February 8, 2024 6:55 PM

Both he and Barry Keoghan are talented and charismatic, but both of them are facially "not handsome" (to put it euphemistically). They have both been able to attain exceptionally good bodies, but neither looks like they will be able to do that for long.

In actuality, though, both of them will probably benefit in the long run from their odd looks. Both of them are ultimately character actors, and they'll get lots of character work in the decades ahead. They just won't be leading men, although I think they both have had delusions they would be if they just worked out enough.

by Anonymousreply 16February 8, 2024 7:01 PM

I don’t find him ugly.

by Anonymousreply 17February 8, 2024 7:03 PM

Well Barry might have a big suckable dick. What about Kumail?

He's fug. But,

SIZE MEAT VERIFICATIA

by Anonymousreply 18February 8, 2024 7:05 PM

It's nice to see the honesty and emotional vulnerability.

by Anonymousreply 19February 8, 2024 7:06 PM

I don't know why with all the marvel characters they have available to them that they made this when the Eternals has never been a high selling comic series especially considering the failure of the very similarly themed Inhumans.

by Anonymousreply 20February 8, 2024 7:39 PM

I wonder, does he smell like curry and feet?

by Anonymousreply 21February 8, 2024 8:08 PM

Is this the movie he bulked up for? That would suck

by Anonymousreply 22February 8, 2024 8:13 PM

R16, both Nanjiani and Keoghan think they can be leading men for one very simple reason: if Daniel Craig could, with a face that looks like it was carved out of moldy cheese, then anyone can. Of course, the issue for them is that Craig is a very good and charismatic actor, whereas Keoghan is just good and Nanjiani is on the lower end of mediocrity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 8, 2024 8:18 PM

Is this guy who now sells Tide pods?

by Anonymousreply 24February 8, 2024 8:28 PM

I grew up reading comic books and was happy with the MCU output through Endgame. But let's keep it real: Iron Man was NEVER a name brand superhero...RDJ's charisma made that happen on screen and The Eternals as a comic was scraping the bottom of the barrel. Who thought it would be a great damn near 3 hour long epic and very convoluted film?

by Anonymousreply 25February 8, 2024 8:44 PM

Angelina Jolie was so out of place in this film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 8, 2024 9:19 PM

Ok, Selma Hayek was worse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27February 8, 2024 9:25 PM

Didn't see the movie, it probably sucks and I might never see a movie he's in because they probably all suck but I'm grateful this movie forced him to get into incredible shape because I've jerked off like crazy to those pics that came out ever since they dropped.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 8, 2024 9:32 PM

Men's Health was pretty hot as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29February 8, 2024 9:33 PM

Hollywood royalty! Hollywood royalty!

Barry - bring me the axe!

by Anonymousreply 30February 8, 2024 9:38 PM

Did he retain that body? Or was it like Travolta for "Staying Alive," where he lost it right away?

by Anonymousreply 31February 8, 2024 9:49 PM

Selma’s hair is hilarious at r27. Her beach waves say everything about the choices made in this film.

by Anonymousreply 32February 9, 2024 1:41 AM

The film's failure may have been especially traumatic for Nanjiani because he made such a big deal in the press about getting swole and ripped in the movie for the sake of South Asian boys who never imagined they would see one of their own as a superhero in a Hollywood film. But then it flopped, so he might have felt he let them all down. (It may have also confirmed what I would suppose are his lifelong fears he is not very attractive, which many comedians have.)

But he should have shut up about this, since of course upon hearing this everyone's thought is, "But other people have REAL problems!" It makes him sound very spoiled.

by Anonymousreply 33February 9, 2024 1:50 AM

Here he is talking about his trauma:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 9, 2024 2:24 AM

He should have had the sense to keep this to himself. He earned millions of dollars to prance around in a Halloween costume.

by Anonymousreply 35February 9, 2024 3:02 AM

It's weird he talks in the interview about how he wanted the film to be "the coming out party I had worked so hard for." And yet he already had been extremely successful both in TV (Silicon valley) and film (The Big Sick) and got several million dollars for the film. What was he expecting? Did he really think he was going to be the next Daniel Craig or RDJ?

So many famous actors always want more and more and more, and what they have is never enough. Maybe that explains the incredible drive of the extremely successful ones, from Joan Crawford to Bradley Cooper: whatever success they may have, it can never be enough for them.

by Anonymousreply 36February 9, 2024 3:10 AM

Maybe he should have pitched a "Harold & Parikshit go to In-N-Out Burger" film for him to star in.

by Anonymousreply 37February 9, 2024 3:25 AM

[quote] It may have also confirmed what I would suppose are his lifelong fears he is not very attractive, which many comedians have.

All he would have to do to confirm that is to look in the mirror. The guy is butt ass ugly. And no muscles are going to make up for that.

by Anonymousreply 38February 9, 2024 5:39 AM

R34 0:26 is he a gay???? He sounds like Shawn Mendez.

by Anonymousreply 39February 9, 2024 8:32 AM

Huh, he’s better looking than I remembered from Silicon Valley. Just needs to clean up those brows a dite.

by Anonymousreply 40February 9, 2024 11:48 AM

He looks like the Asian member of the Levy family.

by Anonymousreply 41February 9, 2024 12:17 PM

Yeah, I read some of this with eyebrows raised. A lot of Holllywood navel gazing in this interview. His PR needs to tell him to keep some things to himself. “The reviews were bad so I needed therapy” is not relatable to 99.99999% of the population.

by Anonymousreply 42February 9, 2024 12:43 PM

I always thought he was sexy. Now I think he's a whiney bitch.

by Anonymousreply 43February 10, 2024 7:59 PM

R43 no sexism please. We always say that men should talk about what's on their mind!

by Anonymousreply 44February 10, 2024 8:01 PM

the male equivalent of a butterface

by Anonymousreply 45February 10, 2024 8:10 PM

[Quote]The guy is butt ass ugly. And no muscles are going to make up for that.

I'll take an ugly guy with muscles over a pretty boy with none.

by Anonymousreply 46February 10, 2024 8:11 PM

[quote]We always say that men should talk about what's on their mind!

Kumail did talk about what was on his mind, and r43 correctly pointed out that it was whiney.

by Anonymousreply 47February 10, 2024 8:22 PM

R47 but being whiney is something that has always been frowned upon in regards to men. We should congratulate him for showing his feminine side.

by Anonymousreply 48February 10, 2024 8:34 PM

No one should be congratulated for being whiney. It would be entirely appropriate and beneficial to ridicule him for it.

by Anonymousreply 49February 10, 2024 8:41 PM

The underlying IP of the Eternals was garbage. It’s a stupid d-list comic book from the 70s with no contemporary fans. Marvel just flicked through their back catalogue and picked some random bullshit to through hundreds of millions of dollars at.

by Anonymousreply 50February 10, 2024 8:42 PM

[quote]Marvel just flicked through their back catalogue and picked some random bullshit to through hundreds of millions of dollars at.

Because it offered a huge opportunity for such wide diversity casting in a single film. That's the reason it was made.

by Anonymousreply 51February 10, 2024 8:46 PM

R51

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52February 10, 2024 9:24 PM

[quote] I'll take an ugly guy with muscles over a pretty boy with none.

That's because you're a massive whore.

by Anonymousreply 53February 10, 2024 10:09 PM

Mary alert:

I love the outfit KN is wearing in OP’s link.

by Anonymousreply 54February 10, 2024 11:05 PM

I loved him in Stuber. Sexy and fragile. Oh, and Dave Bautista is in it.

by Anonymousreply 55February 11, 2024 2:06 AM

[Quote]That's because you're a massive whore.

No, I just have a muscle fetish.

by Anonymousreply 56February 11, 2024 5:05 AM

I will say he he looks really hot at r29 where he looks like he's mere seconds away from hatefucking someone on his volleyball team who is off-camera.

by Anonymousreply 57February 11, 2024 5:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!