Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Casting Oscar will debut at next year’s Academy Awards

Isn’t this a very hard thing to determine based on viewing a movie? So much casting is the result of Producer, Director or Studio interference.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 9, 2024 10:19 PM

Isn't this aspect already implicitly covered by the Best Director, Best Picture (producers) and the Best Acting Oscars? What would it even mean if a movie got this Oscar, but none of the aforementioned three?

But my main question is, who was asking for this? I know there's an ongoing campaign for a stunt work Oscar, but this?

by Anonymousreply 1February 8, 2024 5:51 PM

Nearly all movies begin with a star already attached (for example Christopher Nolan called Cillian Murphy and gave him the role)

Casting therefore recognizes excellence in Supporting Actors?

It’s a very hard thing to determine and frequently can only be determined by reviewing a body of work (ie Juliet Taylor, the legendary casting director of Woody Allen and Mike Nichols)

But per the article, Allen sometimes writes roles FOR actors (Penelope Cruz’s character, which won her the Oscar).

I don’t see how this can be awarded on a competitive basis, or why this should have been chosen before stuntwork. You actually see the stunts. You see visual effects. You hear music. You don’t see job interviews.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 8, 2024 6:04 PM

They already announced that if you have enough minorities in a film you will be ineligible to be nominated. The new Asia bitch running the academy is a corrupt fuck.

by Anonymousreply 3February 8, 2024 6:52 PM

Finally!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 8, 2024 6:54 PM

Stupid category. The days of creative casting directors are long gone. Everything is done with packaging.

by Anonymousreply 5February 8, 2024 6:56 PM

Casting directors work really fucking hard. It’s an award for them.

by Anonymousreply 6February 8, 2024 7:08 PM

Yes r6, I know an actress who also has made shorts and she has been advocating for this for some time now.

by Anonymousreply 7February 8, 2024 7:12 PM

A category I would like to see added is 'opening credits'.

by Anonymousreply 8February 8, 2024 7:19 PM

You know who works really fucking hard on film sets? The grips! Where’s their Oscar for doing 20 hour days around hot, heavy lighting equipment?

by Anonymousreply 9February 8, 2024 7:19 PM

R8 that would be a good idea if movies still had them

A couple of years ago rules were changed in which the governing body (MPA?) said films could have very limited opening credits as long as it was the studio, production company, and title and no names. Movies dumped credit sequences like they were unwelcome houseguests.

Remember movie credit sequences come from a time when trailers actually trailed a movie. Now that they come with 20 minutes of trailers after showtime, no one wants to sit through credits.

To think we won’t see anything like this again

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 8, 2024 7:32 PM

Casting isn't just about the big names that often come pre attached. Every speaking role in a movie needs to be cast, it's a lot of thought and work that goes into it. I am in favor, let casting directors get some love.

But yeah where is the stunt work Oscar? That seems like a rather obvious addition.

by Anonymousreply 11February 8, 2024 7:40 PM

and the Casting Couch Oscar goes to...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 8, 2024 8:24 PM

Let me know when they have a Casting Coach Award.

by Anonymousreply 13February 8, 2024 8:26 PM

Lynn Stalmaster and Marion Dougherty own this thread. Juliet Taylor got her start working for Dougherty. Learned well, she did. FYI. Stalmaster was a Datalounger and posted under his real name.

by Anonymousreply 14February 8, 2024 8:42 PM

That was LYNN STAIRMASTER. A PARODY ACCOUNT.

by Anonymousreply 15February 8, 2024 8:47 PM

R12 When they remodeled the Hollywood & Highland Mall ( site of the Oscar's Dolby Theatre) they removed the Casting Couch Monument. Pity. It was the only soupçon of self awareness Hollywood has ever shown.

by Anonymousreply 16February 8, 2024 8:50 PM

The audience will consider this category boring.

by Anonymousreply 17February 8, 2024 8:50 PM

Because the BEST SOUND category has them on the edge of their seats?

by Anonymousreply 18February 8, 2024 8:52 PM

The reaction from the industry over this hasn’t been positive.

by Anonymousreply 19February 8, 2024 8:58 PM

R12: Men use it too bitch.

by Anonymousreply 20February 8, 2024 9:02 PM

Everybody gets a prize!

by Anonymousreply 21February 8, 2024 9:25 PM

r10 there are still opening credit scenes before a lot of movies -- a lot of directors love them. David Fincher always does amazing ones, for example. They're always like little versions of the music videos he started with. Here are the ones for last year's The Killer:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 8, 2024 9:30 PM

Get a grip, r15. I know that. I’ve been posting here since 2003. I missed the Prancing Ponies but was here for the last gasp of the Soap threads. Such bloody good fun. I also know that the real Lynn Stalmaster occasionally posted here as himself. Kisses, doll.

by Anonymousreply 23February 8, 2024 9:45 PM

Oh sure. Someone said they were Lynn Stalmaster and you believed them.

by Anonymousreply 24February 9, 2024 3:12 AM

The feedback I see from Deadline is that casting directors’ jobs are now easier than ever and can be done sitting at home in their living room, with the actor providing everything they need.

The casting director used to meet the people and read with them. Interfacing with the actor could turn an audition around. They might see the actor do a lousy read but see something else in the actor, some spark of creativity, and help push them in another direction to make the read a success.

All that is gone now. Now they look at a video for ten seconds before moving on to the next actor. No more catching lightning in a bottle.

Certainly casting should be recognized somehow, but given the incredible change in their work flow that has made them more divorced than ever from the creative process, now is not the time.

by Anonymousreply 25February 9, 2024 3:20 AM

[quote]But my main question is, who was asking for this? I know there's an ongoing campaign for a stunt work Oscar, but this?

Also, a few of us have been clamoring for a Best Voice-Over Performance like the Emmys have.

It has entered the conversation a few times -- Robin Williams in ALADDIN (1992), Ellen DeGeneres in FINDING NEMO (2003), Scarlett Johansson in HER (2013) -- but nothing ever came of it.

by Anonymousreply 26February 9, 2024 10:29 AM

“Casting Directors” shouldn’t get awards. They’re lucky to have jobs.

by Anonymousreply 27February 9, 2024 1:00 PM

R25, they also used to go out and SEEK new talent. They don’t do that anymore. Most casting these days is done at talent agencies. CDs are just like middle men.

by Anonymousreply 28February 9, 2024 1:02 PM

R17, it won’t be on the main show.

by Anonymousreply 29February 9, 2024 1:04 PM

Maybe Bette should consider a career change to help her complete her EGOT, since her film roles have all dried up.

by Anonymousreply 30February 9, 2024 1:15 PM

Not that I'm opposed to the idea in principal, but don't you need outstanding films with impressive performances for a casting award.

Unless the award is to be posthumous, there's fucking little of either, let alone a confluence of the two.

by Anonymousreply 31February 9, 2024 1:24 PM

Seems kind of funny with the rampant nepotism that abounds in Hollywood. Maybe they should just be awarding the wombs.

by Anonymousreply 32February 9, 2024 2:57 PM

R30 = still trying to make “fetch” happen

by Anonymousreply 33February 9, 2024 2:58 PM

Just for you, R8

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 9, 2024 9:36 PM

Aren’t actors the biggest chunk of voters, and won’t they just vote for whoever cast them in roles that they really wanted?

by Anonymousreply 35February 9, 2024 10:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!