Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Newsom’s on a roll…

Makes PrEP available without a prescription.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52February 10, 2024 8:09 PM

From OP's link: [italic]“HIV continues to take a huge toll on public health in California, and SB 339 unlocks a powerful tool to prevent new infections,” Wiener said in a statement. “PrEP is nearly 100% effective at preventing HIV transmission, but far too many Californians lack access to it. Allowing people to obtain this powerful anti-HIV tool at their neighborhood pharmacy will greatly expand access and is a big step toward a future free from new HIV cases.”[/italic]

The more gays that take precautions the better.

Does anyone know how much it costs to buy?

by Anonymousreply 1February 8, 2024 3:10 AM

Damn, now todays troubled teens are smoking 🚬 it.

by Anonymousreply 2February 8, 2024 3:17 AM

I'd do him.

by Anonymousreply 3February 8, 2024 3:27 AM

R2 If I can smoke it, then I’ll definitely take it!

by Anonymousreply 4February 8, 2024 4:08 AM

It is available at no cost to patients thanks to Obamacare, even in the deepest red states. But you have too consult with a doctor and test negative.

Regular HIV testing is necessary. If HIV+ people take PrEP, the virus will mutate to resist it. Access by prescription allows prescribers to require testing. Handing it out without testing seems misguided.

by Anonymousreply 5February 8, 2024 4:36 AM

I see the intent, but this seems a little dangerous. Patients still need to be monitored by a doctor,

by Anonymousreply 6February 8, 2024 4:49 AM

What are the side effects of PrEP. Also are there any known longterm adverse effects.

by Anonymousreply 7February 8, 2024 6:02 AM

I’m thinking they test first before handing out the Prep. The bill also covers post HIV exposure drugs. Let’s hope the state helps in hiring enough pharmacists to carry out the plan.

by Anonymousreply 8February 8, 2024 7:18 AM

Yeah but he kept other Rx for life threatening diseases at manufacturers prices. He banned red Skittles and candies with certain dyes. Stupid shit, picking and choosing among petty things he can ban. WTF is he really about changing? He seems random nuts to me.

by Anonymousreply 9February 8, 2024 7:32 AM

I'd love to hear what qualified Public Health experts with academic qualifications have to say about this. Surely they must have weighed in and consider the harm reduction worth the risks.

by Anonymousreply 10February 8, 2024 7:36 AM

Barebacking for all.

by Anonymousreply 11February 8, 2024 11:38 AM

In the early days of AIDS treatment, there were shortages of generic Efavirenz (sustiva) in some countries. This was a drug supplied at no cost or low cost by NGOs and governments to nations that could not afford the astronomical price of the patented form. However it was discovered that smoking it created an LSD type high.

by Anonymousreply 12February 8, 2024 11:58 AM

R7 PrEP is 2 of the 3 molecules in the tritherapy for HIV+ folks.

You won't get a good answer to your question on DL because the maiden auntie Bitter Betty eldergays have PTSD from the AIDS epidemic where Sex = Death and all medicine was "carcinogenic toxic" poison. Understandably because there was some truth to this in the 80s and 90s.

by Anonymousreply 13February 8, 2024 12:01 PM

We're not going to stop people from having (raw) sex. So, in the absence of a vaccine and a cure – which are taking their sweet time – leaning as heavily as possible into PrEP is the winning strategy for keeping new infections down. Theoretically, you could, given enough time, even eradicate HIV entirely with just PrEP.

by Anonymousreply 14February 8, 2024 12:20 PM

So no need for a verified neg text before starting PrEP? No need to see a doctor every 3 months for monitoring and a series of tests?

It’s hard to see what could go wrong

by Anonymousreply 15February 8, 2024 12:35 PM

I think he uses prep too...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 8, 2024 12:39 PM

Access to healthcare and compliance with protocols is so bad in the US that I think this is all we've got, R15. Would need a public health person to validate, but that my self-educated guess. Harm reduction.

by Anonymousreply 17February 8, 2024 12:39 PM

Fast forward ten years to the dialysis clinics on every corner

by Anonymousreply 18February 8, 2024 12:46 PM

R17

Would need a public health person to validate?

Exactly who is this public health person , where do they work, and what would they be validating?

by Anonymousreply 19February 8, 2024 12:55 PM

See r10, r19. I don't claim I'm an expert in areas where others have studied many years to gain expertise.

by Anonymousreply 20February 8, 2024 12:59 PM

[quote] Newsom’s on a roll…

I wish he was on my HOLE.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 8, 2024 1:06 PM

Generic PrEP is emtricitabine/tenofovir (brand name is Truvada).

The most common side effects are headache, nausea, diarrhea especially when you begin the daily medication. I suffered all of these. Then I started taking it at bedtime and haven't experienced them since. Decreased bone density is the major complication, so you should have scans done when you start and every couple years thereafter. My insurance pays for these, but I suspect that many insurance plans do not cover this.

A rare and negative side effect is liver dysfuntion, which is why blood tests should be done to monitor liver function. Gilead patented a recombination therapy of emtricitabine and an analog of tenofovirat called Descovy, which has fewer and weaker side effects. Descovy goes off patent in 2031.

by Anonymousreply 22February 8, 2024 1:31 PM

[quote] If HIV+ people take PrEP, the virus will mutate to resist it.

I don’t think so R5. Prep drugs are also used to treat HIV+ patients to suppress the virus in their system (for instance Descovy is prescribed for prep and for HIV+ patients) so this doesn’t sound plausible.

by Anonymousreply 23February 8, 2024 2:54 PM

I heard a conspiracy theory that this is called the deKADENZ agenda 39. From now on we will have very perverted years. Like the Hollywood sex parties mentioned in the video above. Everyone is fucking on the streets. Think of weimar republic (I miss those days. Yes I am a vampire). But in 2039 all the anti hiv drugs will have caused restiance and we will all have super aids that kills us in less than a year. I don't think this is true but I read it pol 4chan

by Anonymousreply 24February 8, 2024 3:16 PM

dumb cunting trolls

by Anonymousreply 25February 8, 2024 3:20 PM

R24 what a dumb statement

by Anonymousreply 26February 8, 2024 3:36 PM

R24 is exactly why I only listen to trained experts.

by Anonymousreply 27February 8, 2024 3:45 PM

You don’t have to be some QAnon level conspiracy person to be worried about the future. Things in the STD field have only gotten worse and then worse over the decades. We are seeing shit we never saw 40 years ago that has nothing to do with HIV..

Resistance to treatments, R23 including HIV drugs and hiv pts, resistance to gonorrhea, the combination of infections working together that impact the CNS like hiv and syphilis and meningitis, and etc. with more looming resistance issues,

Mistreating, undertreating, self treating, off and on self treating

We will one day see STIs that will no longer respond to treatment. With luck it will be the youngsters that will see the impacted by this.

Anyone that thinks bad things can’t get worse are just people without enough real life experiences.

And just wait until the hard right starts using out of control gay male barebackers , infectious disease epidemics, chem sex PnP orgies, as their rational for legislation. The risk this all exposes the 90% to.

I expect in time things will get a lot worse not better.

by Anonymousreply 28February 8, 2024 4:31 PM

Sugar, if you didn't make your peace with people not learning their lesson about disease prevention during COVID, then I don't know what to tell you. Humans are humans. This is why the concept of harm reduction exists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29February 8, 2024 4:46 PM

He inflames unlimited negative passion from MAGA and its cult. He'd be elected President if he were the Dem's candidate this year. He's a sleaze ball, a rich elite narcissist, a media star more than a public servant. And he is so fucking good... bigger presence that Trump, but so much smarter than Trump... full of facts, brilliant talking points. If there is an election in 2028, he's your candidate.

by Anonymousreply 30February 8, 2024 4:50 PM

Harm reduction is working a treat right now among the junkies in Portland. The locals seem very pleased with the results.

by Anonymousreply 31February 8, 2024 4:52 PM

[quote] Fast forward ten years to the dialysis clinics on every corner

From your lips to God's ear!!!!

by Anonymousreply 32February 8, 2024 4:53 PM

R9, I'd be more concerned about red states banning books and drag queens

by Anonymousreply 33February 8, 2024 4:56 PM

R24 = Mike Johnson, House Speaker and Hypochristianist

by Anonymousreply 34February 8, 2024 4:56 PM

Newsom will never be president.

by Anonymousreply 35February 8, 2024 5:31 PM

R33, that doesn’t lead to death.

by Anonymousreply 36February 8, 2024 5:32 PM

Don't you need doctor to monitor how you are doing and still test for HIV. I think that is risky as the whores will just take the medication and think they are okay.

by Anonymousreply 37February 8, 2024 8:18 PM

Oh it’s you again R28. I was wondering when you were going to show up. I see this time you’re at least embarrassed enough by previous threads that you’re not attempting your lumbar puncture bullshit, but you’re still not far off. Let’s run through your comment shall we…

[quote] Things in the STD field have only gotten worse and then worse over the decades

Have they? Public health has always been underfunded when it comes to sexual health, but to act like the treatments available now are less effective than previous decades is just uninformed. Numbers of new HIV+ diagnoses are down (year on year) for the first time since the onset of the virus. (Talking western world for the purposes of this thread btw).

[quote] Resistance to treatments, [R23] including HIV drugs and hiv pts, resistance to gonorrhea, the combination of infections working together that impact the CNS like hiv and syphilis and meningitis, and etc. with more looming resistance issues,

Badly worded, but I think I understand parts. Drug resistance is not a new event. And HIV has always complicated other infections. You’re acting like these are new issues lol.

[quote] Mistreating, undertreating, self treating, off and on self treating

See above.

[quote] We will one day see STIs that will no longer respond to treatment.

We’ve seen this before, and treatments are developed. You’re one of these people that sees that they live in the only time ever in history where things change. All of a sudden (from today) the entire direction of medicine will change (treatments stop working, sky falls in etc.)

[quote] With luck it will be the youngsters that will see the impacted by this.

wtf what a weird thing to say about children.

[quote] And just wait until the hard right starts using out of control gay male barebackers , infectious disease epidemics, chem sex PnP orgies, as their rational for legislation. The risk this all exposes the 90% to.

Oh ya you’d just hate if that happened lmao.

[quote] I expect in time things will get a lot worse not better.

Of course you do.

by Anonymousreply 38February 8, 2024 9:15 PM

R38 that troll is a LOST CAUSE and a very nasty piece of work. Why waste your energy?

by Anonymousreply 39February 8, 2024 9:17 PM

R28 Cite your sources. Most of "received" information from credible sources refute just about everything you've asserted. If you have contradictory information, where do you get it from? I suspect 4CHAN, RFK kooks... if not, share them, so we can review what you say with such certainty.

by Anonymousreply 40February 8, 2024 9:30 PM

R40 That troll is here to TROLL and spew self-loathing, homophobia, fear, and misinformation. IGNORE.

by Anonymousreply 41February 8, 2024 9:33 PM

Spinal exam?

There was a fruitcake on DL months ago touting how easy neurosyphilis was to treat. No big deal they claimed for a condition that is occurring quite a bit with gay men today . But when asked to post the NIH CDC treatment recommendations for neurosyphilis including syphilis of the eye they refused.

They claimed that posting the recommended guideline for treatment and follow-up was a trap. So they refused to,post them.

They could post those recommendations now ? But they won’t.

It is what it is and it’s only going to get worse in time.

by Anonymousreply 42February 9, 2024 11:16 AM

R42 does syphilia of the eye happen during a blowjob???

by Anonymousreply 43February 9, 2024 1:03 PM

You need at least THREE antivirals for treatment of HIV for now, Truvada and Descovy only have two, so only good for prep. If a person is poz and takes one of those, it can cause resistance.

by Anonymousreply 44February 9, 2024 6:07 PM

[quote] There was a fruitcake on DL months ago touting how easy neurosyphilis was to treat

This is a misrepresentation of what happened. There was a nut job (you?) posting that every single gay man that has HIV that then contracted syphilis was undergoing lumbar punctures, and being drip fed antibiotics in hospital for a minimum 2 week in hospital stay, and that they were all suffering the effects of long term syphilis disease. With years of follow up lumbar punctures to come after. This is lies. And I did post proof, see link below from CDC again just in case you’ve forgotten.

You keep thinking that throwing in a new area of the body (oh I said syphilis of the eye) distracts from the fact that you’re very clearly lying, in order to satisfy your weird obsession with insisting that there are wards full of gay men across the country being treated for syphilis infection, when that is not the case.

[quote] All persons with HIV and syphilis coinfection should receive a careful neurologic ocular and otic examination. Persons with HIV infection and neurosyphilis should be treated according to the recommendations for persons with neurosyphilis and without HIV infection (see Neurosyphilis, Ocular Syphilis, and Otosyphilis).

You’re desperate to prove that people with HIV are being treated for any and all syphilis infection in a way that is entirely different from those without HIV infection, but it’s not the case (see above (ocular included just for you)).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45February 9, 2024 6:47 PM

Syphilis is rampant where I live, but it's the straights that are the biggest group, not gays.

by Anonymousreply 46February 9, 2024 8:09 PM

R46

How about some data to support that? You know like cdc data. Because you must live in a very unusual very unique place if your claim is close to being true. Gay men have dominated early syphilis rates in the US ever since they started to collect such information.

Certainly in the 60s 70s 80s 90s thru to today—-although let’s give the community credit in the mid 80s thru the 90s gay men did act like mature adults and responsible citizens and did use condoms and practice safe sex. Yes they used condoms for anal sex.

And syphilis rates dropped to all time lows. Then HIV became treatable and syphilis rates took off like a rocket ship.

A small % of the total US population msm dominated early P&S Dx and have done so since forever.

We need to be honest about the unique, not IV drug users not street sex workers who trade sex for drugs both of whose have msm like STI problem, , that gay men have with STIs. And HIV.

Lying to others is one thing lying to ourselves is something entirely different.

by Anonymousreply 47February 10, 2024 11:29 AM

[quote] Lying to others is one thing lying to ourselves is something entirely different.

^^ this has to be the single greatest case of projection ever on this website. This commenter has been spinning lies to others (and themselves) about the sexual health of gay men / MSM (especially those living with HIV) and especially in relation to syphilis infections, for months, and across many different threads. He’s ignoring my link at R45 bc it blows him out of the water and continue to watch him pretend to miss this comment, yet he’ll continue on with the same bullshit on the next STD thread.

Hey R47 this was you below right??? Lying about syphilis on another thread from last year. Read the link at R45 and tell me if you still stand by this bullshit.

[quote] If you have hiv and syphilis Dx it’s now presumed you have neurosyphilis , although a spinal is done to be sure, and then it’s 10-14 days of continuous Rx either a continuous IV of penicillin around the clock or an IV injection of pen 4 times a day.

[quote] Followed by a spinal exam. Then more spinals in the months after Rx. And if the spinals show it’s not clear then the whole process of 10-14 days of Rx repeats followed by more spinals.

by Anonymousreply 48February 10, 2024 4:21 PM

R47 Fuck you, I live in Louisiana, the shit hole of America, look it up yourself, it's out there, and it's straights and they're in poverty and that's what happens, go back to your lily white enclave where everything is just peachy and you have no shootings on a weekly and sometimes daily basis.

by Anonymousreply 49February 10, 2024 6:13 PM

I have to agree with R 49…I live in a shithole county in CA, and babies are being born with syphilis to straight couples. Lack of health care for the poor, lack of education, and a lot of prison life.

by Anonymousreply 50February 10, 2024 7:16 PM

R47 hun R46 is right. Gonorrhea is a disease straight men can have too. Look at the example I linked... oh wait

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51February 10, 2024 7:34 PM

Doesnt the FDA have the sole and legal authority to regulate drugs?

by Anonymousreply 52February 10, 2024 8:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!