Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Unused kitchen gadgets or appliances

Which ones do you have? Did you buy them thinking you’d use them all the time and now, don’t?

We gave away our food processor, maybe used it twice. We have an unloved air popcorn popper. The blender gets used occasionally, as does the crock pot. I have a couple zesters I never use.

What crap is cluttering up your kitchen?

by Anonymousreply 111February 12, 2024 6:38 PM

I just had to have a Dash Egg Cooker. Used it once.

by Anonymousreply 1February 7, 2024 4:39 PM

I bought a panini press because just love toasted sandwiches and then shortly thereafter I stopped eating bread and haven't used the thing in a couple of years now.

by Anonymousreply 2February 7, 2024 4:48 PM

I never use my food processor anymore either. It got cracked up pretty bad when I went through an almond butter phase.

by Anonymousreply 3February 7, 2024 4:50 PM

I bought Egglettes for making hard boiled eggs, while they work I found my food steamer just does better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 7, 2024 5:30 PM

Way too many to list. My kitchen, my dining room, and numerous cabinets in my garage are FULL of excess appliances. And multiples of most of them.

by Anonymousreply 5February 7, 2024 5:44 PM

Electric can opener more trouble than it's worth.

by Anonymousreply 6February 7, 2024 5:49 PM

R6 I had one too... the blade finally rusted in our old place. I didn't replace it but miss it.

by Anonymousreply 7February 7, 2024 5:50 PM

I bought a hard boiled egg maker that I never use, I also never use my crock pot, electric skillet, or waffle iron.

I grill on the traeger a lot.

by Anonymousreply 8February 7, 2024 5:51 PM

I'm a sucker for gadgets but have been pretty good about rationalizing impulsive purchases lately. I have and use on a pretty regular basis: air fryer, Instant Pot, Crock Pot (two sizes), food processor and an immersion blender. All of those items are stored in a cupboard or closet. I was craving waffles the other day and almost ordered a new waffle iron. I couldn't justify making room for that, though. I also have an ice machine that I only use in the summer or when entertaining. Same thing with my blender that sits on top of the refrigerator.

by Anonymousreply 9February 7, 2024 6:05 PM

I bought an ice cream maker because I was somehow convinced I was going to make fresh, delicious ice cream for my friend and family whenever they came over. Elegant, simple deserts.

Cut to: Fucking thing was such a hassle to clean, and you always had to keep the ring part of it in the freezer, so I couldn't just make a pint of Rocky Road on depressed whim.

Irritating.

The dumb orange thing is still under my counter as a reminder not to buy stupid applances.

by Anonymousreply 10February 7, 2024 6:10 PM

I recently threw out a George Foreman Grill I found in the back of a cabinet. I'd forgotten I even had it. I think I only used it a few times to grill salmon or burgers.

by Anonymousreply 11February 7, 2024 6:33 PM

God the Foreman grill, what a marketing triumph. First of all, not a grill. Second of all, totally redundant if you have a stove or hotplate and even a single pot or pan. The only legit use case is a dorm room or an RV with access to a power outlet. Cooking a piece of salmon at home on the Foreman makes just as much of a mess as doing it on the stove in a nonstick pan.

by Anonymousreply 12February 7, 2024 6:39 PM

God, cleaning those George Foreman grills was a pain in the ass. Even when they moved to removable grill plates they weren't worth the hassle.

by Anonymousreply 13February 7, 2024 7:14 PM

I liked the little Foreman grill for one person. I’ve never used a stand mixer or Cuisinart. I find for grinding the blender is just fine. You can do coffee beans in it too.

by Anonymousreply 14February 7, 2024 10:36 PM

I like an electric can opener for the knife sharpener.

by Anonymousreply 15February 7, 2024 10:37 PM

I tell you one that I find myself using more and more is a cheap little rechargeable CORDLESS hand mixer I got at Aldi.

by Anonymousreply 16February 7, 2024 10:42 PM

None.

I have a small kitchen with open shelving but, more than that, I missed the gene that steers mad appliance and gadget buying.

Knives. Cutting boards. Vegetable peeler. Graters for cheese and lemon peel. Nespresso. Stovetop. Large toaster type countertop convection oven. Small microwave. Two pots and kids, two frying/sauteing pans with covers. The usual stirrers and ladles. A small immersion blender is the most unnecessary thing I have.

by Anonymousreply 17February 7, 2024 10:48 PM

The only reason I have a kitchen -- it came with the house.

by Anonymousreply 18February 7, 2024 11:46 PM

I used to work in small kitchen appliances, for Kitchen Aid, and there are people who collect appliances they never use the same way other people buy books they’ll never read. It was astonishing to me. More then once, there were people who described entire rooms in their homes filled with unused, boxed appliances - and they were out looking for more to buy.

It’s also shocking the number of people who cannot cook at all. Shocking and sad. Ultimately the appliance these people are looking for is small, with the not one button to press that will make anything they want and then clean the itself. No lie.

by Anonymousreply 19February 8, 2024 12:30 AM

*with only one button to press

by Anonymousreply 20February 8, 2024 12:31 AM

I have a bread maker and an immersion blender I’ve never used.

by Anonymousreply 21February 8, 2024 2:17 AM

I’ve never used my air fryer

by Anonymousreply 22February 8, 2024 2:20 AM

My vacuum sealer.

by Anonymousreply 23February 8, 2024 2:23 AM

The slow cooker and the panini press were my most recent mistakes. If we go back in time there’s the juicer.

I do use the air fryer and the egg bite maker all the time, much to my surprise.

by Anonymousreply 24February 8, 2024 2:24 AM

Is the air fryer challenging to use?

by Anonymousreply 25February 8, 2024 2:31 AM

My patty stacker.

by Anonymousreply 26February 8, 2024 2:35 AM

R25, the misleading thing I found when I was thinking about an air fryer was that the assumption always seemed to be that you’d want to buy it to make food that’s normally deep fried, only now you could air fry it instead.

I’ve never deep fried anything in my life but I’m now eating salmon that takes only a little over 10 minutes to be ready when I began with it frozen solid.

I most often roast winter vegetables, marinated tofu, and whole potatoes and I really like it.

by Anonymousreply 27February 8, 2024 2:55 AM

Why do you guys keep stuff that you don't use? Sell it, donate it, give it away.

by Anonymousreply 28February 8, 2024 3:07 AM

The only one I use now is my air fryer and occasionally the slow cooker. All the rest can go I think.

by Anonymousreply 29February 8, 2024 3:11 AM

I use my slow cooker all the time, so someone got me an Instant Pot.

I've never even unboxed it. It's too intimidating, with the pressure release and all.

by Anonymousreply 30February 8, 2024 3:18 AM

I no longer use my Kitchen Aid mixer. I got it just before Covid, and I used it for about one year. Now it sits in the back of a cupboard. Pretty color, but I don’t bake anymore.

by Anonymousreply 31February 8, 2024 3:29 AM

I have THREE KitchenAid stand mixers. The newest one is from 1974. One of the others was a wedding present my mother got in 1949. Still works. I have three Instant Pots (different sizes.) I have TWO rice makers. TWO bread machines. THREE ice cream makers. FOUR waffle irons (one was my grandmother's.) At least THREE immersion blenders and hand mixers. A Ninja Woodfire grill and its indoor equivalent. Two Cuisinart food processors, plus four or five smaller ones. Electric skillet. Electric kniives (2). Four or five slow cookers in various sizes. Three or four vacuum sealers. Three countertop ovens. Three toasters. Two juicers. A an electric Dutch oven (cast iron/ceramic). Sous vide device. At least six or seven coffeemakers (probably more.) Two or three blenders. And I know I'm forgetting a number of items.

This is what happens when you have too much disposable income.

by Anonymousreply 32February 8, 2024 4:15 AM

[quote]I have THREE KitchenAid stand mixers. The newest one is from 1974. One of the others was a wedding present my mother got in 1949. Still works. I have three Instant Pots (different sizes.) I have TWO rice makers. TWO bread machines. THREE ice cream makers. FOUR waffle irons (one was my grandmother's.) At least THREE immersion blenders and hand mixers. A Ninja Woodfire grill and its indoor equivalent. Two Cuisinart food processors, plus four or five smaller ones. Electric skillet. Electric kniives (2). Four or five slow cookers in various sizes. Three or four vacuum sealers. Three countertop ovens. Three toasters. Two juicers. A an electric Dutch oven (cast iron/ceramic). Sous vide device. At least six or seven coffeemakers (probably more.) Two or three blenders. And I know I'm forgetting a number of items.

I think I saw you on "Hoarders."

by Anonymousreply 33February 8, 2024 4:17 AM

You're right! I was on the episode with Ann Miller!

by Anonymousreply 34February 8, 2024 4:18 AM

R30, I was a bit nervous too about the Instant Pot. It really is simple to use and a game changer. I make big batches of soup and freeze for simple meals. I just plop my frozen soup in and pressure cook on high until thawed. I also love it for beans. You can go from dried beans to perfectly cooked in about 45 minutes (no soaking required). There are a ton of You Tube "chefs" who share Instant Pot recipes/tips for everyday people. My only frustration is how the rubber seal ring on the lid absorbs spice smells (especially cumin). You need to wash that thoroughly and store the lid upside down to deal with that issue. It also makes amazing spare ribs.

by Anonymousreply 35February 8, 2024 12:52 PM

Now that I have an air fryer and Acticook ’n Stir, my stove.

by Anonymousreply 36February 8, 2024 12:54 PM

Bread maker purchased in COVID.

by Anonymousreply 37February 8, 2024 4:34 PM

An air fryer is just a countertop convection oven.

by Anonymousreply 38February 8, 2024 4:57 PM

And, R38?

by Anonymousreply 39February 8, 2024 5:23 PM

Instapot=pressure cooker. Come up with new name like it’s something that’s never been around before.

by Anonymousreply 40February 8, 2024 5:58 PM

My Zborny baked potato 🥔 openers and my set of Spurtles that were of little use outside of glorified spatulas. 😟

by Anonymousreply 41February 8, 2024 6:27 PM

The ONLY good thing about the George Foreman grill -- and it's very minor -- was that it grilled both sides of the burger or salmon or whatnot at once. No flipping required. I swear it took longer to clean the thing than it did for it to cook the food.

I have a immersion blender that I very rarely use, but when I do use it (usually for pureeing soups) I am so glad it have it. (See also: the mandoline at the back of the highest cupboard, which I use even less.)

by Anonymousreply 42February 8, 2024 7:55 PM

R42 ah yes. The mandoline. Fastest way to lose a fingertip, ever.

by Anonymousreply 43February 8, 2024 8:44 PM

I got an InstaPot as a gift from my former company for 20 years service (each 5-year anniversary, they give you a catalog and you get to choose a gift from that. Really good stuff). It is still in the box in which I received it. Haven't even opened it. It came with a beautiful, hard back recipe/instruction book.

I swapped out my perfectly good Black and Decker toaster oven for one of those hybrid air fryer/toaster oven combos. Like someone above mentioned, I've rarely eaten deep fried foods and not sure what my impulse was! I still use it mainly as a toaster oven.

I also have a nice Oster blender, which used to get a regular workout, but has been collecting dust for 7-8 years. Can't seem to part with it though.

by Anonymousreply 44February 8, 2024 8:54 PM

I bought a mandoline on line, but I can’t figure out the attachments. The idea was to slice eggplant et cetera paper thin to top my homemade pizzas. It’s sitting in plain site next to the open wine bottle which gets used. I should read the directions.

by Anonymousreply 45February 8, 2024 9:15 PM

Do NOT drink and mandoline! You'll lose more than a fingertip! (Agreed, too many attachments on mine, and setting it up is like putting together an IKEA coffee table. I wish I had one of those Japanese paddle-style mandolines, even though I hardly ever use the complicated one I already have. First-world problems!)

by Anonymousreply 46February 8, 2024 9:29 PM

We have a Zojirushi bread machine we got in 2022. It's not necessarily inert, but as time rolls on we use it less and less. It takes up a good deal of counter space and honestly, the loaves aren't worth a shit after 24 hours. They just get crumbly and hard to slice cleanly, even with a good serrated knife.

The recipe book is funny at times. "Meatloaf Miracle" are words that should never go together.

by Anonymousreply 47February 8, 2024 10:00 PM

I was going to get a Zojirushi rice cooker because I'm semi-terrible at making rice, but thankfully realized I hardly ever cook rice (because I'm semi-terrible at it). I saved a good deal of money and counter space.

by Anonymousreply 48February 8, 2024 10:05 PM

[quote]I got an InstaPot

No such thing.

It's an Instant Pot.

by Anonymousreply 49February 8, 2024 10:36 PM

The weird thing is that, on QVC, the Instant Pot presenter (In the Kitchen with David Venable) called it an Instapot.

by Anonymousreply 50February 8, 2024 11:08 PM

r48 2 cups water, 1 cup long grain rice. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to medium, cook uncovered for 10 minutes. Water should be mostly evaporated. Then lower the heat even more, cover and cook for 10 more minutes. For some brands of rice I have to fill the measuring cup up all the way with water or it will come out crunchy.

by Anonymousreply 51February 9, 2024 2:36 AM

If you do get a rice cooker, get one that's also a slow cooker and a saute pot.

by Anonymousreply 52February 9, 2024 2:42 AM

Since I was a Japan-obsessed teenager in the ‘80s I’ve used rice cookers. They’re amazing!

It’s funny to see others view as junk the things I use on a regular basis, such as immersion blenders (for soups), food processors (for seitan seasonings and things like hummus), and the Kitchen Aid stand mixer. It all depends on how you cook/bake (or IF you cook/bake. I mean, I’ve got madeleine tins that see regular use). Everyone’s different!

I do have a blender I was given as a gift ages ago that I hardly ever use, but it looks so cool and chrome and retro that I can’t bear to part with it.

by Anonymousreply 53February 9, 2024 3:14 AM

I’m not impressed by my French press coffee maker.

by Anonymousreply 54February 9, 2024 3:24 AM

I'm very impressed by my air fryer. I got one that air fries, bakes, grills and steams (chicken, fish, veges) and I have completely stopped using my oven now. My electricity bill has dropped as well. Damn thing has almost paid for itself and it produces chef level food which constantly surprises me.

by Anonymousreply 55February 9, 2024 3:38 AM

I bought a food mill a few years ago when I was on a “try new soup recipes” kick. It’s probably the best tool for making velvety puréed soups out of stringy vegetables like squash or celery or leeks. It also works wonders for smooth mashed potatoes. But it’s a pain in the ass to assemble and clean, and it’s pretty unwieldy to store in a cupboard. I’ve used it maybe a dozen times but generally opt for lazier tools like the blender for soups or the old hand-masher for potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 56February 9, 2024 3:49 AM

We need a "Muriel's List" scheme here. I could use one of your nearly-new, dust collecting stand mixers.

R46: A mandolin glove will protect you from cuts.

by Anonymousreply 57February 9, 2024 4:43 AM

[quote] I’m not impressed by my French press coffee maker.

French presses waste a lot of coffee, IMO. Then, it sits there and gets cold.

by Anonymousreply 58February 9, 2024 4:50 AM

I have a French Press, Italian Moka pot, and a Chemex pour over coffee pot. All were gifts and all have been rarely used. For my purposes it’s just easier to use the trusty old Braun coffee maker. I had a laugh when I got the Chemex and the how-to video online was a hipster in the woods going through an intensive 20 minute process to make a couple of cups of coffee. It does come in handy in power outages when the electric coffee maker won’t work.

by Anonymousreply 59February 9, 2024 5:26 AM

I’ve had my Melitta pour over plastic cone and glass coffee pot since 1999. I make two mugs of coffee for me and Bobby McGee every morning, and. I can’t believe I haven’t broken it yet….We drink the coffee right away, not placed on the heat.

by Anonymousreply 60February 9, 2024 6:09 AM

I never use my electric whisk. I just don't bake. I even had to try to remember where it is or if I still have it.

by Anonymousreply 61February 9, 2024 8:13 AM

Used sometimes: Kitchenaid mixer, Used rarely: Food Processor, Used a couple of times and now gathering dust: Electric Griddle, Deep Fryer, Ice Cream Maker. Used only in winter:Immersion Blender for hot chocolate.

by Anonymousreply 62February 9, 2024 8:35 AM

[quote]I bought a food mill a few years ago when I was on a “try new soup recipes” kick. It’s probably the best tool for making velvety puréed soups out of stringy vegetables like squash or celery or leeks. It also works wonders for smooth mashed potatoes. But it’s a pain in the ass to assemble and clean, and it’s pretty unwieldy to store in a cupboard. I’ve used it maybe a dozen times but generally opt for lazier tools like the blender for soups or the old hand-masher for potatoes.

I only use the food mill for mashed potatoes when I'm making huge quantities. Otherwise, I find a ricer does the best job. Always smooth and lump-free.

by Anonymousreply 63February 9, 2024 1:18 PM

A Zojirushi rice cooker is awesome. Even if you seldom eat rice (and it makes perfect rice), I use it daily for steel cut oatmeal with a timer.

by Anonymousreply 64February 9, 2024 1:27 PM

I was on a smoothie kick in 2022 and got rid of my perfectly-good blender for one that has a smoothie setting, I used it maybe 3x. Turns out I'm not really into making my own smoothies.

About 20+ years ago, my local Caldor closed its doors and was having an 'everything must go' sale. I bought a pasta pot (the insert comes out) and a lobter pot. In the late 90s-00s, I was on a King Crab leg bender Every other Friday, i would stop at my local fresh food and seafood market and buy 3 KCLs. I would also buy a lovely sauvignon blanc and chill it while I melted butter. Those were the days! KCLs were much less expensive then. I haven't used either pot since..

I have slow cooker I haven't used in ages but refuse to part with it on the off chance I might make a roast. Now that winter is almost over, I'm pretty sure I won't need it until next Fall.

Lastly, I saw this gadget in an ad in one of online games. It allows you use a gas burner as a makeshift grill. It has a pan that you put water in and grates that fit over the top of it. Haven't used it yet.

by Anonymousreply 65February 9, 2024 2:49 PM

If you have an electric stove, you’ll save your sanity by buying an electric rice cooker to make rice. Otherwise you have to stand there and watch that it doesn’t scorch. You can cook other thinks along with the rice, it steams chicken wonderfully to make ginger chicken.

I would like an air fryer. I hate heating up the entire oven to bake a couple potatoes. Electric rates are insanely high where I live.

by Anonymousreply 66February 9, 2024 3:32 PM

I've had a rice cooker and I've made rice on an electric stove. On the stove, I cooked it in a non-stick pot. It was pretty easy.

by Anonymousreply 67February 9, 2024 3:38 PM

OLDSCHOOL HERE, I have the 3 sizes of Sunbeams “Oscars”,use them all the time,like every day,they’re not produced anymore,they last for years but easily replaced on eBay and cheap,wish everything was as easy to manage as this,,,

by Anonymousreply 68February 9, 2024 3:46 PM

I have an air-fryer function in my toaster oven, though rarely use that setting. My #1 use for my Instant Pot these days is to make rice, every few weeks I'll make a pot of curry with it.

I have a coffee grinder that I use for occasional spices or nuts in specific recipes, again, every few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 69February 9, 2024 5:26 PM

R66: I bake potatoes in my toaster oven; they come out just fine. My regular oven is largely just for storage now.

Speaking of rice, I taught my aged mom -- who never made us rice when I was growing up that I can remember -- how to make rice the (I think...) French way (Martha Stewart also does it). Bring a pot of water to a boil, add rinsed rice (any amount), boil for 11 minutes uncovered, drain, use. Dead simple -- and no doubt horrifying to anyone from Asia.

by Anonymousreply 70February 9, 2024 6:02 PM

[quote]Dead simple -- and no doubt horrifying to anyone from Asia.

Why horrifying when that's how they cook it too?

I think a lot of people aren't washing/rinsing it well before use which is what makes it sticky. Or they're not putting enough water in which makes it burn/stick to the pan. I make sure to rinse well before and after which always works for me.

by Anonymousreply 71February 9, 2024 7:02 PM

None of you cook brown rice? I do not want another gadget, and my rice comes out usually just fine. What is the advantage of a rice cooker or instapot for brown rice people? Excuse my ignorance on this.

by Anonymousreply 72February 9, 2024 7:15 PM

Brown rice needs a presoak amd is messy.

by Anonymousreply 73February 9, 2024 10:57 PM

I use my juicer maybe 2X per year. It's messy and labor intensive (especially if you're making orange juice). But I have a lot of counter space so it's not that big of a deal if it just sits there.

by Anonymousreply 74February 9, 2024 11:02 PM

InstaPot - compliments of my sister.

Coffee bean grinder - compliments of my sister.

Crockpot

I bought a house five years ago, so they're just on shelves in the basement, not cluttering the kitchen. I live in a bungalow with a galley kitchen without a ton of counter space. So, if I didn't have the basement, I probably would have got rid of them or given them to someone. Maybe keep the crockpot OR instapot.

IN the past - juicer. But I have it to good will.

by Anonymousreply 75February 9, 2024 11:07 PM

I feel like I might get a lot of use from an Instapot type appliance. I like stews and similar. Also, an air fryer seems like it would save a lot of time - I cook a lot of chicken breasts and thighs in the oven before using them in other recipes.

However, I know I'd use them for a while, then they'd be gathering dust when I decided that stove top and oven are less hassle than wheeling out an appliance.

Now, if they simply lived on the countertop, that might be different. But, I can't stand the clutter.

by Anonymousreply 76February 9, 2024 11:12 PM

A bread maker from a relative. The dough spackled the inside something fierce.

by Anonymousreply 77February 10, 2024 1:04 AM

I have a pressure cooker that I used at first but hadn't used it in maybe 3 years. I decided to remedy that last week and purposely found an old recipe and bought ingredients just to use it.

by Anonymousreply 78February 10, 2024 1:45 AM

R72, Your rice should never burn, under or over-cook if you use a rice cooker. The casual cook may not realize a couple of things about brown rice. It requires more water than white rice, and it takes longer to cook correctly. The first time I made brown rice I assumed it cooked like the white variety (I was very young and ignorant). I ended up throwing it out.

by Anonymousreply 79February 10, 2024 2:57 AM

I have a countertop roaster in a closet that I never used.

I do use my food processor all the time, though. I like to grind up nuts, chicken for chicken salad, sometimes onions. Make hummus. Sometimes I mash potatoes in it.

by Anonymousreply 80February 10, 2024 3:08 AM

^Grind nuts to make nut butters. You can also grind raw meat in it to make chicken or steak burgers, or cooked meat to make hash.

by Anonymousreply 81February 10, 2024 3:12 AM

[quote]Sometimes I mash potatoes in it.

Be very careful. It usually turns into glue that way.

by Anonymousreply 82February 10, 2024 5:09 AM

Is there anything trashier than a kitchen counter cluttered with every shitty small appliance given by someone's Midwestern frau sister?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83February 10, 2024 6:30 AM

Rice cookers also cook up bulgur nicely…

by Anonymousreply 84February 10, 2024 6:35 AM

I bought a waffle iron in the last 6 months but I'm not liking the way they taste - I think it's the non-stick coating changes the outside surface texture. We had a waffle iron growing up and those waffles were delicious - it wasn't non-stick. I like Eggo better than the ones I can make. I used it 4-5 times -now it sits on a shelf.

Mini mandolin slicer, mini electric chopper, blender, hot plate, small G. Foreman grill, cast iron grill pan, immersion blender.

by Anonymousreply 85February 10, 2024 6:54 AM

For R58-- I found a great metal press - it holds about 2 cups and insulated so it keeps the coffee hot for more than an hour.

by Anonymousreply 86February 10, 2024 7:09 AM

I did a big purge last year of kitchen gadgets and small appliances and surprisingly made a good amount selling them on eBay. It was a greatest hit of fads and trends. It made a load of space for me to fill new mew gadgets of course. Admittedly I’m a kitchen tool and appliance junkie. Bye-bye to the over-engineeered coffee maker, sous vide, bread maker, and anything ignored in favour of using something else.

My favourites I cannot live without: Vitamix,, immersion stick blender, Microplanes, basic crock pot/slow cooker, pressure cooker, mortar and pestle.

by Anonymousreply 87February 10, 2024 8:09 AM

I have ruined three Salad spinners - even a stainless steel version. I now enjoy washed wet lettuce or let it dry out in the fridge.

I finally adapted to using a microwave to reheat coffee. This tiny thing hangs from a cabinet. The cream interior always looks like it needs bleach.

I need to browse resale shops - i can usually spot other people’s “this solves everything!” Devices. I’m thinking of bread machines specifically- a pricey mistake I made.

by Anonymousreply 88February 10, 2024 8:44 AM

R66 - just get one. It will change your life. This is a really good one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89February 10, 2024 12:00 PM

I do want an air fryer, am not sure what size, wattage to get for one person.

by Anonymousreply 90February 10, 2024 1:21 PM

I have a deep fryer I only use for the Super Bowl. I've decided to have one last hurrah with it tomorrow because it takes up too much storage. I'm making some hush puppies, broccoli cheese balls, pierogis and homemade tortilla chips. It's a cheat day on steroids!

by Anonymousreply 91February 10, 2024 2:26 PM

I find my mini-chopper is good when I need to finely dice one onion and such, R85.

by Anonymousreply 92February 10, 2024 2:44 PM

Why not just use a knife if youre cutting up just one onion.

by Anonymousreply 93February 10, 2024 3:09 PM

Because that's very tedious for something finely diced as well as not tearing-up as much.

by Anonymousreply 94February 10, 2024 3:13 PM

R90 - get the one I posted @ R89. It's the one all the top YouTubers use and rave about. It's on special and I guarantee you will love it and suddenly wonder what you did without it. I use it every day now.

by Anonymousreply 95February 10, 2024 3:27 PM

Slap-chop

by Anonymousreply 96February 10, 2024 5:32 PM

I usually cook steel cut oats on the stovetop with 2 c. water, 2 c. milk, 1 c. oats. I tried it today in the rice/grain cooker on the oatmeal setting -- took longer than stovetop; specified 3:1 liquid:oats ratio (I used 2 c. milk, 1 c. water) and came out OK, but not as good as stovetop. The benefit is not having to watch and stir it, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 97February 10, 2024 5:51 PM

I've been eating steel-cut oats for years. Here's my easy method:

Small, single-serving containers.

Steel-cut oats & water.

Soak overnight or longer. (I prepare several containers at a time.)

Morning: dump into a bowl. Microwave for a couple minutes.

Voila.

Hot, nutty-textured steel-cut oats.

by Anonymousreply 98February 10, 2024 6:01 PM

Mmm hot and nutty

by Anonymousreply 99February 10, 2024 6:38 PM

Here's the steel-cut oats hack I use (serves one): The night before, put 3/4 c water in a small lidded sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add a heaping 1/4 c of steel-cut oats and a tiny pinch of salt and swirl oats briefly in the pot so they're submerged. Cover and let sit overnight. Warm in the morning. (You may want to use more or less water and oats per how thick/thin you like your oatmeal.)

by Anonymousreply 100February 10, 2024 7:20 PM

I'm firm in my conviction that people who like to eat steel-cut oats are the people who like that sort of thing. The only people who like that sort of thing. No miracle small appliance is likely to seduce the rest of us

by Anonymousreply 101February 10, 2024 9:05 PM

I bet a sous vide bath would be a good way to cook steel cut oats. I cooked coarse grits with sous vide and they came out perfect. I felt like a failed southerner because mine always stuck to the pot real bad and ended up undercooked.

by Anonymousreply 102February 11, 2024 12:23 AM

I have a Vitamix I haven't used in several years. Food processor is not used often, but occasionally essential. Kitchen Aid I use frequently.

by Anonymousreply 103February 11, 2024 12:33 AM

[quote]I have a Vitamix I haven't used in several years.

Nobody has.

by Anonymousreply 104February 11, 2024 12:40 AM

Steel cut oats are a zillion times better with milk.

by Anonymousreply 105February 11, 2024 2:45 AM

And that's why I make them with at least half-milk (either Lactaid or unsweetened vanilla almond milk.) I always add dried fruit (mixed berries, chopped dates, raisins, etc.) and chopped nuts, as well as either cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice and Splenda. I make four servings at once then refrigerate the extra portions and reheat them in the microwave with a little more milk.

by Anonymousreply 106February 11, 2024 2:57 AM

I put peanut butter in my steel-cut oats. And raisins.

by Anonymousreply 107February 11, 2024 3:27 AM

OK -- who has one of these?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108February 11, 2024 6:19 PM

R108, blue collar workers and strivers don’t make sausage. Sausage and other tube meats are for poors.

by Anonymousreply 109February 11, 2024 6:22 PM

Re: baked potatoes which some have mentioned upthread.

I use my microwave for baked potatoes. Pierce the potato skins first. And turn the potato over midway through. Fast and works fine.

I also use the microwave for corn on the cob. Best to do the ears of corn still in the husks. Delicious.

I have a small microwave cookbook with very easy recipes and both the above were in that book.

by Anonymousreply 110February 12, 2024 6:18 PM

I have an Anova Precision Oven. LOVE it. Makes outstanding baked potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 111February 12, 2024 6:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!