Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Looking for Valentine's Dessert Ideas.

My husband has to fly to the east coast on Valentine's Day to take care of family business, and he'll be there for a week or so. I'm planning a going away dinner I'll serve before he leaves and it's pretty basic -- filet mignon, sauteed onions and mushrooms, bearnaise sauce, baked potatoes and asparagus.

Any ideas for dessert? I'm open to something easy, pre-made, etc. We both like chocolate, berries, crisps, buckles... I mean I guess all sweets. DL, what say you?

by Anonymousreply 53February 10, 2024 11:29 PM

Why don't I believe a word of this.

by Anonymousreply 1February 7, 2024 8:17 AM

Greg god damn it, WAKE UP

by Anonymousreply 2February 7, 2024 8:23 AM

R1 Imean, why would I make any of this up? It's not glamourous -- I'm spending V-Day alone. I'm not rich, otherwise I'd be eating out or having my staff make dessert. I'm just a simple rando looking for an idea for a dessert.

by Anonymousreply 3February 7, 2024 8:25 AM

Something about the "fly to the east coast", "going away dinner", and "bearnaise sauce". I'm trying to locate the cosplay. "crisps, buckles." Anyone else hazard a guess?

by Anonymousreply 4February 7, 2024 8:37 AM

Because your life is THAT small and lonely, R1?

Suck your cheeto-stained fingers clean and put this link to use. I promise there's a whole exotic, magical world out there with baked potatoes and husbands and domestic flights just waiting for you. Yes, even you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 7, 2024 8:37 AM

[quote] Greg god damn it, WAKE UP

I am awake, R2.

by Anonymousreply 6February 7, 2024 11:37 AM

OP, that sounds lovely.

For dessert, how about berries in a stemmed glass with either lemon mousse or a sabayon (zabaglione) atop the berries?

by Anonymousreply 7February 7, 2024 11:41 AM

Lol that's more like it Greg. You're supposed to respond to our every recipe/request for food suggestions 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 8February 7, 2024 11:48 AM

America's Test Kitchen Lemon Posset with Berries, easy and no bake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 7, 2024 12:05 PM

[quote] Lol that's more like it Greg. You're supposed to respond to our every recipe/request for food suggestions 24/7.

I know it, R8!

I slept late this morning!

by Anonymousreply 10February 7, 2024 12:08 PM

I suggest topping your cock (and I do hope it is a cock) with whipped cream and a drizzle of chocolate ganache (let's be civilized, people, no syrup), berry on top, and letting your husband traipse off to his family a happy, happy man.

by Anonymousreply 11February 7, 2024 12:31 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 7, 2024 1:22 PM

This Eaton Mess is delicious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 7, 2024 2:35 PM

OP- Are you a FAT WHORE?

by Anonymousreply 14February 7, 2024 2:37 PM

Make him a dump cake.

by Anonymousreply 15February 7, 2024 2:39 PM

One popular Thai dessert that incorporates fish, prunes, and tomatoes is called "Ho Mok Pla."

To make Ho Mok Pla, you will need the following ingredients: - 500g white fish fillets, such as cod or tilapia - 1 cup coconut milk - 2-3 tbsp red curry paste - 1 tbsp fish sauce - 1 tbsp sugar - 1/2 cup sliced tomatoes - 1/4 cup chopped prunes - Banana leaves or aluminum foil for wrapping

Instructions: 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). 2. In a blender, combine the fish fillets, coconut milk, red curry paste, fish sauce, and sugar. Blend until smooth. 3. Fold in the sliced tomatoes and chopped prunes into the fish mixture. 4. Cut the banana leaves or aluminum foil into small squares. Place a spoonful of the fish mixture onto each square. 5. Fold the banana leaves or aluminum foil to form a small parcel, sealing the fish mixture inside. 6. Place the parcels on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through. 7. Serve the Ho Mok Pla parcels hot, either on their own or with steamed rice.

This sweet and savory Thai fish custard dessert is sure to impress your family and friends with its unique flavors and ingredients. Enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 16February 7, 2024 2:43 PM

Chocolate mousse with a few raspberries on top. It’s simple, always impresses and is delicious.

by Anonymousreply 17February 7, 2024 2:46 PM

2nd for Eton Mess or any kind of trifle, especially if they're served in individual glasses.

by Anonymousreply 18February 7, 2024 3:00 PM

I love the zabaglione idea with fresh berries, or the chocolate mousse topped with raspberries. I will add a warm, flourless chocolate cake, or a chocolate lava cake, with raspberries and whipping cream? (or without whipping cream.) of course there are sorbets to consider, and my favorite coffee ice cream (Talenti is my preferred choice.) The meal is divine but it is a heavy meal, so go with something light.

I don't care what anyone says. Greg 2116 is dear!

by Anonymousreply 19February 7, 2024 5:06 PM

[quote] I don't care what anyone says. Greg 2116 is dear!

Mwah, R19!

Many people will make negative comments about this, but a really good, dark chocolate ice cream or gelato is delicious with a jigger go Scotch poured over it. It's absolutely delicious.

by Anonymousreply 20February 7, 2024 5:12 PM

Here is something written about the classic dessert I mentioned in R20, only Marcella calls for vanilla ice cream.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 7, 2024 5:18 PM

Another article about this simple and enchanting dessert:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 7, 2024 5:23 PM

R14 Yes, a proud one.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

by Anonymousreply 23February 7, 2024 8:24 PM

Why not get something decadent from a bakery? Ice cream is not for a special occasion.

by Anonymousreply 24February 8, 2024 3:20 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 10, 2024 3:39 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 10, 2024 4:05 PM

Baked Alaska Flambé is my favorite dessert for a special occasion. Just be sure to have a fire extinguisher on hand in case things take a turn. I made it for my husband last year, on our anniversary. He wanted Chocolate Chiffon Cake, so we had quite a fight, but once he saw the impressive presentation of the Baked Alaska he begrudgingly admitted he was excited to try something new.

by Anonymousreply 27February 10, 2024 4:17 PM

This lemon-pistachio variation received good notices from NYT readers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 10, 2024 4:20 PM

A box of candy and you’re done,

by Anonymousreply 29February 10, 2024 6:41 PM

Cranachan is delicious. Small servings as it is very rich.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 10, 2024 6:55 PM

After that meal he’d need an industrial strength enema.

by Anonymousreply 31February 10, 2024 7:07 PM

We're just simple folk who eat filet mignon with bearnaise sauce at home.

by Anonymousreply 32February 10, 2024 7:10 PM

[quote] We're just simple folk who eat filet mignon with bearnaise sauce at home.

To be honest, filet mignon and béarnaise sauce is not that difficult to prepare at home.

What could be easier than pan searing filet mignon?

And béarnaise sauce is an offspring of hollandaise—one of the five mother sauces of French cuisine (béchamel, velouté, Espagnole, hollandaise, and tomato).

Béarnaise sauce is simply an emulsification—egg yolks and butter cut through with white wine vinegar flavored with tarragon and shallots and a bit of black pepper. It is similar to a loose mayonnaise.

Anyone who is comfortable in the kitchen can make this.

by Anonymousreply 33February 10, 2024 7:28 PM

Buttercream frosting (3 lbs.) eaten with a spoon straight from the bowl makes the perfect Valentine's Day dessert

by Anonymousreply 34February 10, 2024 7:31 PM

[quote] Why not get something decadent from a bakery? Ice cream is not for a special occasion.

It is in my house. I almost never have it. Then again, I almost never have dessert.

by Anonymousreply 35February 10, 2024 7:32 PM

Look no further than Martha Stewart's sweet ideas...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36February 10, 2024 7:36 PM

R33 Thanks for over-informing me about things I already know.

by Anonymousreply 37February 10, 2024 7:44 PM

You're gonna pay for that R37, unless you've got psycho chef on block.

by Anonymousreply 38February 10, 2024 7:46 PM

R38 I mean, who asked Graham Kerr for his opinion?

by Anonymousreply 39February 10, 2024 7:48 PM

Chocolate pots de creme.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 10, 2024 7:57 PM

[quote] You're gonna pay for that [R37], unless you've got psycho chef on block.

Thank you, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 41February 10, 2024 7:58 PM

[quote] [R33] Thanks for over-informing me about things I already know.

You are entirely welcome, R37.

You hide your knowledge well.

by Anonymousreply 42February 10, 2024 7:59 PM

[quote] [R38] I mean, who asked Graham Kerr for his opinion?

R39, you might not know this, but on DL, people offer their opinions all the time.

Do you believe that people's opinions need to be solicited?

If so, who asked you for yours?

Are you aware that I am quite often the recipient of unsolicited opinions?

by Anonymousreply 43February 10, 2024 8:03 PM

R40, chocolate pots de crème is a very good idea.

They need to be made well in advance in order to chill in the refrigerator.

When I used to occasionally make them for catered dinners, I served them in demitasse cups and would garnish them with candied violets (which, by the way, look much nicer than they taste).

I recently wrote to someone in France from whom I purchased white porcelain oyster plates, to ask him to be on the lookout for proper lidded pot de crème cup sets.

They are very cute.

by Anonymousreply 44February 10, 2024 8:09 PM

R27 is Betty Draper, writing in from 1957.

by Anonymousreply 45February 10, 2024 8:43 PM

R42 So do you.

by Anonymousreply 46February 10, 2024 8:48 PM

You can't go wrong with Kraft TV recipes, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47February 10, 2024 8:52 PM

[quote] [R42] So do you.

False.

by Anonymousreply 48February 10, 2024 9:57 PM

Chocolate soufflé.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49February 10, 2024 11:22 PM

R48 My original post was said jokingly. I rolled my eyes as you proceeded to give me a high-handed lesson in how to cook, something I never asked for.

by Anonymousreply 50February 10, 2024 11:23 PM

OMG, Greg... SHUT UP.

by Anonymousreply 51February 10, 2024 11:27 PM

[quote] OMG, Greg... SHUT UP.

No.

by Anonymousreply 52February 10, 2024 11:28 PM

[quote] My original post was said jokingly. I rolled my eyes as you proceeded to give me a high-handed lesson in how to cook, something I never asked for.

Think of it as a gift.

by Anonymousreply 53February 10, 2024 11:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!