Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are Paintings Over?

I like them but lets face it, they are not the apex of civilization anymore. I love history books, but no one puts them in a museum to gawk at and feel compelled to admire and convulse over.

by Anonymousreply 45February 11, 2024 11:34 PM

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤪

by Anonymousreply 1February 7, 2024 12:28 AM

R1 I understand why you feel offended.

"OP, I hear you! Hubby and I are in a similar situation. Money is nonexistent. It's hard to get the basics in our town. We moved here three years ago, popultion 2400. In that time, the only grocery store in town closed, a Dollar General opened, and the gas station two blocks away closed to open a shiny new location far on the other side of town (which is not a pedestrian friendly town). As of November, we've been living in a "food desert", we cannot walk to a store to get any food."

by Anonymousreply 2February 7, 2024 12:34 AM

But is there a Blick, R2?!?

Can you still walk to a place with oil paint and pre-stretched canvas are readily available?

by Anonymousreply 3February 7, 2024 12:49 AM

I look at paintings and feel sooo wealthy!

by Anonymousreply 4February 7, 2024 1:05 AM

Dope thread OP. This is why I love DL. Very good question.

by Anonymousreply 5February 7, 2024 1:09 AM

[quote]Are Paintings Over?

Ask Mark Rothko. Oh wait...

by Anonymousreply 6February 7, 2024 1:11 AM

Winslow Homer makes me feel something but to be fair he's in the spare bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 7February 7, 2024 1:23 AM

Paintings are the new Franklin Mint Figurines. No one needs that shit.

by Anonymousreply 8February 7, 2024 1:57 AM

Where can I buy paintings? Even the working class used to be able to buy paintings at those hotel liquidation sales. They used to be advertised on late night tv, along with midnight madness carpet sales. I guess those “art fairs” with tents in summertime.

by Anonymousreply 9February 7, 2024 3:19 AM

Art major here (drawing and painting). Universities and colleges do exhibits of student work. The students usually will show up for the exhibit. If you see something you like, you can ask the student to sell it to you. Or if you just like the style, you can probably ask them to do a painting for you.

by Anonymousreply 10February 7, 2024 3:22 AM

R10 unfortunately I live in the Hamptons. The entire area is saturated with art shows/galleries/exhibits. We’ve had art shows in the local delis. The university (on the edge of bankruptcy) has held art shows. Prices are outrageous.

The local restaurants have “exhibits.” All artwork hanging on the walls is for sale.

Years ago we went to a restaurant and noticed a photo on the wall had the name of our friend’s artist sister on it. It was a pretty dull Lester landscape and I can’t remember if it was a b&W photo or an etching. We thought we’d buy it to help her out. It was $800. In the 1990s. We don’t have that kind of money for a small black and white piece.

by Anonymousreply 11February 7, 2024 2:32 PM

[quote] It was a pretty dull Lester landscape

*Water* landscape. I do fucking hate Apple After thr latest iOS update the spellcheck went crazy and my cursor deletes words when I try to go back and change a letter..

by Anonymousreply 12February 7, 2024 2:44 PM

I think a Lester landscape would be wonderful!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 7, 2024 5:04 PM

Still curious about how many DLers cream themselves over paintings anymore. I mean, they make you feel things, but hasn't the art itself become a disgusting, capitalistic, status jerk circle?

by Anonymousreply 14February 10, 2024 9:37 PM

P2 Who are you quoting?

by Anonymousreply 15February 10, 2024 9:41 PM

Idk OP, 2 years ago I witnessed an older woman weep in front of the Mona Lisa at the Louvre......

by Anonymousreply 16February 10, 2024 9:41 PM

Sorry.

R2 Who are you quoting?

by Anonymousreply 17February 10, 2024 9:41 PM

"I like them but lets face it, they are not the apex of civilization anymore".

Who says they ever were? Do you consider painting more important than literature, music, sculpture, architecture?

A history book you read. A painting you view.

by Anonymousreply 18February 10, 2024 9:52 PM

R16 Mona Lisa is a perfect example. A tiny painting enclosed in plexiglass surrounded by mobs. The only way you could feel something is relief that your ordeal is over.

by Anonymousreply 19February 10, 2024 9:52 PM

But that has nothing to do with the quality of the Mona Lisa.

by Anonymousreply 20February 10, 2024 9:54 PM

Mona Lisa is a weak example. It's like the Eiffel Tower, a sight to tick off on your list of must sees in Paris. By following the herd you're contributing to that mob.

by Anonymousreply 21February 10, 2024 9:54 PM

[quote]But that has nothing to do with the quality of the Mona Lisa

And the mobs are there because of the 'quality' of the painting, not because it was a stop on the bus tour.

My argument is that paintings don't function in the same way that they did in the past. The mobs are there not because they feel things but because they are told to feel things. Paintings aren't art anymore, they're a hobby.

by Anonymousreply 22February 10, 2024 10:08 PM

They're a hobby, for who?

Your argument makes no sense. When do you think this decline/change began?

by Anonymousreply 23February 10, 2024 10:12 PM

In a post-SSRI world I guess feeling anything about anything is up for grabs for some of you zombies. Vincent van Gough would've never existed in your paradigm. So the answer is "yes". Feel better?

by Anonymousreply 24February 10, 2024 10:21 PM

Gogh*

by Anonymousreply 25February 10, 2024 10:22 PM

You're a bit late to the party, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 10, 2024 10:48 PM

[quote]Vincent van Gough would've never existed in your paradigm.

It's not that he doesn't exist, but he doesn't have the same impact. I bow to no man in my admiration for Van Gogh, but who can top him and his fellow genuses?

Paintings are colorful dabs on surfaces, objects to put on walls because they match your color scheme or trumpet your wealth. Paintings don't change things anymore.

by Anonymousreply 27February 10, 2024 10:49 PM

Van Gogh didn't change things until after his death, R27. His work had ZERO impact in his lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 28February 10, 2024 10:50 PM

What did Van Gogh change R28?

by Anonymousreply 29February 10, 2024 10:54 PM

His techniques directly contributed to the development of Fauvism and Expressionism. The two earliest styles of the 20th Century.

by Anonymousreply 30February 10, 2024 10:58 PM

R30 So what?

by Anonymousreply 31February 10, 2024 11:01 PM

His stools were more interesting than you on your best day, R31.

by Anonymousreply 32February 10, 2024 11:02 PM

So, R31, I'm answering your question. His technique and use of colour would influence leading modernists who totally upended painting- changing the course of art history

by Anonymousreply 33February 10, 2024 11:03 PM

For certain painters, yes. People today want only a small number of trendy artists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 10, 2024 11:05 PM

Art galleries across the US are experiencing considerable downturns in sales.

What I mean about that is the kind of original art you would buy as a decorating item, not as an investment.

Some people familiar with it think it is because the same class of people (middle-middle to upper-middle class people) are blowing such a huge pile of money on new electronic toys every year (new phone, new pad, and new tv for each and every member of the household), not to mention cable/netflix/fiber expenses, and that $5,000 you would splurge on an art item is no longer there.

by Anonymousreply 35February 10, 2024 11:08 PM

"Art galleries across the US are experiencing considerable downturns in sales."

Every second person with a paintbrush on instagram is an 'artist' now. The aim is for instant gratification on the part of the viewer and instant visibility for the artist.

Art galleries are experiencing the impact of people preferring to view art on their phones.

by Anonymousreply 36February 10, 2024 11:18 PM

A painting is either a financial instrument or a decorative wall covering, leaving everybody who owns one feeling anxious or duped. Big money ruined the visual arts.

by Anonymousreply 37February 10, 2024 11:23 PM

There are too many people on the Earth and too much of their lives are lived online for physical things to have widespread value anymore. Society agrees on absolutely nothing anymore and people live in their own algorithm-driven, neon world. So each person has to experience and enjoy art for themselves and MAYBE share it with extremely close friends or family. But be realistic and expect that most of them won’t know or care what you’re talking about. In a world where nothing can just be “good” anymore, some things just aren’t meant for the masses. Same thing with classical music which I love with all my heart. It matters to me and that has to be enough.

by Anonymousreply 38February 10, 2024 11:32 PM

I used to love Mozart and now he bores me, "good" as I know he is. Nowadays I love 20th century "classical" music that I couldn't stand. Maybe people are stuck emotionally today and that's the real issue.

by Anonymousreply 39February 10, 2024 11:39 PM

Paintings are out. Vinyl wall quotes are in.

by Anonymousreply 40February 11, 2024 2:11 AM

[quote] Idk OP, 2 years ago I witnessed an older woman weep in front of the Mona Lisa at the Louvre......

I had the entire nation fingering themselves to one of my songs.

by Anonymousreply 41February 11, 2024 2:26 AM

Music seems pretty played out as well, no pun intended. There's a finite number of notes in arrangements.

I want DL to come up with a new art form.

by Anonymousreply 42February 11, 2024 8:51 PM

Are millennials broke?

by Anonymousreply 43February 11, 2024 8:56 PM

Or maybe stop putting paintings in museums and let people experience them in their mundane lives.

by Anonymousreply 44February 11, 2024 9:07 PM

Museums used to be free. What happened? Who are we trying to keep out? Why?

by Anonymousreply 45February 11, 2024 11:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!