Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Discoland... Where The Music Never Ends" (1980)

(aka "Can't Stop The Music")

Why was Nancy Walker chosen as the director of a $20 million dollar musical? Should the credits be adjusted to reflect Caitlyn Jenner's sex change? What happened to Chita Rivera's involvement?

"A fictionalised account of the formation of the Village People. Allan Carr announced the film in June 1979, describing it as "Singing in the Rain for the disco crowd" and stating that the film would star the Village People, Valerie Perrine, Tammy Grimes, Chita Rivera, Barbara Rush, Pat Ast and Bruce Jenner. It was to be the first in a three picture slate from Carr, the others including Chicago and The Josephine Baker Story starring Diana Ross. Filming was to start on August 20 of that year and was financed by EMI, then under the aegis of Barry Spikings. When asked why EMI were making a film about disco so long after Saturday Night Fever, Spikings said, "I hope it is different. The film breaks new ground."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 7, 2024 10:31 AM

He was screaming at us “I’m a HOMOSEXUAL”, 45 yrs ago.

by Anonymousreply 1February 6, 2024 8:43 AM

Jenner isn't gay. His woman cosplay is a fetish.

This movie is a disaster, but a mildly entertaining one.

by Anonymousreply 2February 6, 2024 8:58 AM

C'mon it's a gay romp and a PG rated movie with full frontal male nudity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 6, 2024 9:06 AM

Here is Valarie Perrine at CHILLER in Jersey telling Boy Cultures Matt how hard it was working with Nancy Walker. Who actually believes Nancy directed that Y.M.C.A. number, with the intricate shows, split screen, slow motion, optical effects, quick editing?

Met her that weekend too and you can see the early signs of Parkinsons with her shaking hand. She was lovely to meet. I have the DVD signed by her and Steve Guttenberg and the movie paperback novelization signed by Alan Carr, The Village People and then Bruce Jenner who did a book signing opening weekend in NY.

Valerie comes in at 4:53

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 6, 2024 9:20 AM

Here is the full page ad Carr placed announcing production. The name and some of the cast would change.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 6, 2024 9:27 AM

One word: cocaine.

by Anonymousreply 6February 6, 2024 9:34 AM

Diane wanted to portray Josephine Baker? Hell no!

by Anonymousreply 7February 6, 2024 9:50 AM

You can have a tremor without Parkinson’s. it runs in my family

by Anonymousreply 8February 6, 2024 10:08 AM

It's a ridiculous romp, although it's fun to be brought back to Greenwich Village at the time. And a flash of uber-Daddy Paul Baressi naked in a mainstream film!

by Anonymousreply 9February 6, 2024 10:18 AM

[quote]You can have a tremor without Parkinson’s. it runs in my family

True, but she has Parkinson's. I noticed it back then. She didn't hide it, it just was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 6, 2024 11:00 AM

Pat Ast would've gotten the film an R rating.

by Anonymousreply 11February 6, 2024 11:10 AM

R9 Wasn't Paul Baressi in "Perfect," not "Can't Stop the Music?"

That's the movie where he met John Travolta and they fucked for a while.

by Anonymousreply 12February 6, 2024 11:20 AM

[quote]Pat Ast would've gotten the film an R rating.

Pat Ast would have been the Marilyn Sokol part so Chita must have been June Havoc's part as Guttenberg's mother.

by Anonymousreply 13February 6, 2024 1:39 PM

R12 - I thought it was the other way around regarding Perfect.

I thought Travolta got him that bit part as a result of them fucking.

by Anonymousreply 14February 6, 2024 2:30 PM

R14 You're right. Baressi said Travolta approached him at the gym while he was naked in the shower.

They began an affair and Travolta got him the bit part in the movie where he strips down to his jock strap.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 6, 2024 2:36 PM

I think Pam Grier was high.

by Anonymousreply 16February 6, 2024 3:56 PM

... at Chiller.

by Anonymousreply 17February 6, 2024 3:57 PM

Dolores Hart and her female friends eating at the booth are really tacky.

by Anonymousreply 18February 6, 2024 4:03 PM

I read also where Perrine says that Walker sat in her trailer watching soaps all day while “somebody else” directed.

by Anonymousreply 19February 6, 2024 4:17 PM

Paul Barresi was still so hot atr15. He was doomed to full baldness and an enormous punch thereafter, but he was DILF locker room fantasy come to life at that moment.

by Anonymousreply 20February 6, 2024 4:36 PM

R20 Yes, she talks about that in R4's clip.

by Anonymousreply 21February 6, 2024 4:43 PM

In #4's link at the 05:45 mark, Perrine says she had Nancy Walker barred from the set and wouldn't work with her. I wonder if the film was just 'directed' buy assistants and choreographers, etc.?

I remember reading that director Mark Robson delegated a lot of the directing duties of VOTD to underlings. What could go wrong?

by Anonymousreply 22February 6, 2024 7:55 PM

the Village People took turns directing and thought it would be funny to credit Nancy Walker.

by Anonymousreply 23February 7, 2024 10:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!