Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Shane Gillis, Former ‘SNL’ Cast Member Fired for Racist Jokes Will Host Feb. 24 ‘SNL’

Shane Gillis, the comedian who was fired from “Saturday Night Live” after racist jokes of his resurfaced in 2019, is set to host “SNL” on Feb. 24 with musical guest 21 Savage.

Gillis was hired as a new cast member in September 2019, but was fired a week later after videos surfaced of the comedian using racial slurs in a September 2018 episode of his podcast. Soon after the clip was posted to Twitter, it went viral, leading to an outcry for “SNL” to fire Gillis. The comedian used slurs against Asians and the LGBTQ community in past episodes of his show.

“I’m a comedian who pushes boundaries,” Gillis said in a statement posted on Twitter shortly after the outcry. “I sometimes miss. If you got through my 10 years of comedy, most of it bad, you’re going to find a lot of misses. I’m happy to apologize to anyone who’s actually offended by anything I’ve said. My intention is never to hurt anyone but I am trying to be the best comedian I can be and sometimes that requires risks.”

Gillis released his first comedy special on YouTube in 2021 and his second special, “Shane Gillis: Beautiful Dogs” on Netflix in 2023.

News of Gillis hosting “SNL” was met by confusion and derision by some on X (formerly Twitter).

[quote] Chappelle showing up for goodbyes last week, Nikki Haley in the cold open tonight, Shane Gillis hosting at the end of the month- Bowen spending the rest of the season like this…

[quote] first you open ayo edebiri’s episode with a nikki haley cameo and now you invite back the guy you fired five years ago for using racist and homophobic slurs lmao?

[quote] …..Shane Gillis. On SNL. After he got fired from the cast before he even joined for his homophobic, racist slurs. Okay, SNL. OK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41February 26, 2024 4:20 PM

I'll definitely be tuning in.

Probably the only show I'll watch this season.

by Anonymousreply 1February 5, 2024 2:07 AM

Lorne Michaels does shit to stir things up and ratings.

He's been such a mediocre producer and created such an uneven show for literally decades - NBC should buy the show back from him. He's useless really.

by Anonymousreply 2February 5, 2024 2:16 AM

He's fat, gross, and hideous looking - I hope he bombs.

by Anonymousreply 3February 5, 2024 2:20 AM

I just love that Lorne is sticking it to Boeing Chang.

Fuck that whiny cunt.

by Anonymousreply 4February 5, 2024 2:21 AM

It’s rare when someone can pander in two directions.

by Anonymousreply 5February 5, 2024 2:32 AM

I hope Bowen Yang pulls a Nora Dunn and gets fired at the end of the season.

by Anonymousreply 6February 5, 2024 2:35 AM

No one watches SNL. Gillis shouldn’t waste his time.

by Anonymousreply 7February 5, 2024 2:48 AM

I still think it was a double standard that Melissa Villasenor wasn't fired from SNL due to her history of racist tweets, but this guy was fired.

by Anonymousreply 8February 5, 2024 2:49 AM

I hope Lorne gives the entire cast an ultimatum: You MUST attend the Live taping of the show, or you're fired!

He shouldn't let them dictate which people can and cannot host the show.

by Anonymousreply 9February 5, 2024 5:29 PM

I think Bowen Yang may be dumb enough to try and pull a Nora Dunn with this situation.

by Anonymousreply 10February 5, 2024 5:40 PM

Bowen may want to call-in sick that day:

"... in which Gillis and co-host Matt McCusker made jokes in mock East Asian accents while discussing Chinatown and used the word "chink", an ethnic slur for Chinese people.... In other clips, Gillis and co-host Matt McCusker ranked comedians by race, gender and sexual orientation, which included the use of gay slurs."

by Anonymousreply 11February 6, 2024 5:15 AM

I'm sure the posters who HATE Bowen Yang for extremely vague reasons and love this comic who lost a job for talking about "chinks" aren't racist at all.......

by Anonymousreply 12February 6, 2024 5:26 AM

R12 Right 😂

by Anonymousreply 13February 6, 2024 5:35 AM

[quote] I'm sure the posters who HATE Bowen Yang for extremely vague reasons and love this comic who lost a job for talking about "chinks" aren't racist at all.......

And I'm sure you're making up a scenario to fit your dull, pompous behavior, as no one on here has advocated for Shane Gillis and plenty of people have told you specifically why they loathe Bowen Yang, none of it having to do with him being Asian.

But please, continue to pat yourself on the back.

by Anonymousreply 14February 6, 2024 5:40 AM

Controversy aside, does his level of fame even merit hosting on SNL?

by Anonymousreply 15February 6, 2024 5:44 AM

Why does running an Asian marathon with homosexual men get you fired from SNL, Dorothy?

by Anonymousreply 16February 6, 2024 6:07 AM

Is there a Genre for this type of podcast? Straight guys sitting around talking about sports, getting wasted, getting pussy, minorities, gays, action/super hero movies, high school and farts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 7, 2024 5:30 AM

Lorne Michaels is such a stupid old bag of shit. I can’t wait till that whole old man bastard comedy contingent drops dead. Except, obviously Larry David who is a god and we’re not good enough for him.

by Anonymousreply 18February 7, 2024 8:05 AM

How is this weekly shit show still on the air?

by Anonymousreply 19February 7, 2024 8:06 AM

And also Larry Charles.

R18

by Anonymousreply 20February 7, 2024 8:16 AM

This is the racist homophobic shitbag that got canned? No way, I don’t believe he’ll be hosting. They’ll find someone else. The cast will protest. Lorne is such an idiot sometimes. Time to retire gramps.

by Anonymousreply 21February 7, 2024 2:08 PM

Oh, look at SNL trying to make Nikki Haley happen 🙄

by Anonymousreply 22February 7, 2024 2:12 PM

R22 If Haley ends up getting the GOP nod and winning the general election. SNL will probably have to Nasim Pedrad come back and play Haley for awhile before they hire a female Indian American cast member.

by Anonymousreply 23February 7, 2024 3:09 PM

[quote] Time to retire gramps.

Where DO you come up with such startlingly original material? And so funny.

by Anonymousreply 24February 7, 2024 4:00 PM

[QUOTE] If Haley ends up getting the GOP nod and winning the general election.

😂 Hailey Bieber has a better shot at the GOP nomination.

by Anonymousreply 25February 7, 2024 4:09 PM

Sorry R21.

It's going to happen.

And I'm going to watch.

by Anonymousreply 26February 7, 2024 5:13 PM

R23 he’ll never hire anyone Indian. He hates minorities. He barely tolerates women and black people. He’s an old bag of shit.

by Anonymousreply 27February 9, 2024 12:33 AM

Right, OP. Name all the hilarious Indians. We’ll wait. I’m sure there’s a list a mile long.

by Anonymousreply 28February 9, 2024 12:43 AM

Podcast right after he was canned.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29February 11, 2024 7:02 PM

Tiny dick hands. Not surprised.

by Anonymousreply 30February 11, 2024 7:10 PM

It's coming up this Saturday!!

Has Bowen Chang boycotted the show yet?

by Anonymousreply 31February 20, 2024 11:25 PM

I don't think Bowen has beef with Shane. He follows Shane on instagram.

by Anonymousreply 32February 21, 2024 2:30 AM

[quote] I don't think Bowen has beef with Shane. He follows Shane on instagram.

Oh, but he has a problem with Dave Chapelle?

What's the fucking difference?

Dumb cunt.

by Anonymousreply 33February 21, 2024 10:12 AM

I'll definitely be tuning in, if for no other reason than just to spite that whiny little bitch Boyang.

by Anonymousreply 34February 22, 2024 11:27 AM

I thought he did a good job.

by Anonymousreply 35February 25, 2024 3:26 PM

SNL gets like five viewers. lol. Shane can do much better than this crap.

by Anonymousreply 36February 25, 2024 3:46 PM

Any relation to Dobie?

by Anonymousreply 37February 25, 2024 3:47 PM

r14 anyone who "loathes" Bowan Yang is fucking psychotic in my book, whether they're racist or not. He's such a harmless, shallow C-list celebrity. If you're getting that worked up over Bowan Yang then you should probably check yourself into a mental hospital. You sound like a bitter loser.

by Anonymousreply 38February 26, 2024 7:32 AM

And you sound like an unhinged loon, R38. Maybe read back what you just typed.

by Anonymousreply 39February 26, 2024 8:15 AM

Bowen is so ugly and unappealing. Particularly his mouth, which looks like animation.

by Anonymousreply 40February 26, 2024 8:28 AM

R40 is exactly right.

by Anonymousreply 41February 26, 2024 4:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!