Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘Argylle’ Misfires With $18 Million Opening

It’s not looking good for Universal/Apple’s “Argylle,” which is off to a sluggish start at the box office: an $18 million domestic and $35.3 million global opening weekend, amidst negative critical and audience reception.

That $18 million launch in North America is consistent with pre-release tracking, but is half of the opening of director Matthew Vaughn’s 2017 film “Kingsman: The Golden Circle” and only slightly above the $16.5 million opening of Amazon MGM’s Jason Statham action thriller “The Beekeeper” last month.

For Universal, this result is one they can easily shrug off, given that they are simply distributors on this film. But it’s not a good sign for Apple, which reached a distribution deal with Universal for the project as part of its plan to spend big on auteur-driven films that can raise the profile of Apple TV+ among both audiences and prospective filmmakers.

While it’s difficult to say whether Apple is getting what it wants out of films like Martin Scorsese’s Oscar-nominated “Killers of the Flower Moon” and Ridley Scott’s “Napoleon” — especially since Apple isn’t disclosing streaming subscriber numbers — “Argylle” was marketed as a more crowd-pleasing film than either of those movies and, as those who saw the movie discovered, has turned out to be a backdoor spinoff to the “Kingsman” film series.

But it’s not looking like audiences are interested in seeing more of Agent Argylle. Along with the film’s 35% critics score on Rotten Tomatoes, “Argylle” received a C+ on CinemaScore. That’s the lowest grade ever for a Matthew Vaughn film. The only glimmer of hope for the movie is that it overperformed in major markets on Saturday, bumping opening weekend estimates up from $16.5 million to $18 million.

“Argylle” also isn’t doing much to pull the box office out of the frigid state it has been in since Martin Luther King Jr. weekend, as overall weekend grosses are set to stay in the same range as last weekend at $59-61 million. Next weekend likely will be the same as Focus Features’ “Lisa Frankenstein” will be the sole wide release on the historically slow Super Bowl weekend.

The only other major newcomer this weekend is Fathom Events’ release of “The Chosen: Season 4, Episode-1-3.” As the title suggests, it is the first three episodes of the new season of Angel Studios’ hit Christian streaming series, which fans have flocked to theaters to see together when new episodes first release.

Industry estimates have the episodes grossing $3.3 million from 2,200 theaters this weekend, the widest release by Fathom for a “Chosen” episode drop as the event film distributor plans to do a similar release for the next three episodes later this month.

But that’s not enough to crack the top 5, which aside from “Argylle” consists of films in their fourth weekend of play or later. Two musicals, Warner Bros.’ “Wonka” and Paramount’s “Mean Girls,” each hit domestic milestones of $200 million and $100 million respectively. That’s a victory for a genre that has performed inconsistently at the box office since the pandemic theater closures, though the films’ musical elements were concealed in their marketing.

“Wonka” is also a major win for Warner Bros., which went through a feast-or-famine year in 2023 with “Barbie” setting an all-time studio box office record while the DC franchise struggled ahead of its 2025 reboot. The Timothée Chalamet film is the first movie since “Barbie” and “Oppenheimer” dominated the box office to pass $200 million domestic and $500 million worldwide.

Finally, Searchlight’s “Poor Things” and Amazon MGM’s “American Fiction” are showing solid holds in their second weekend since being nominated for Oscars. “Poor Things” added $2.1 million this weekend, dropping just 27% from the weekend prior as it now stands at $28.2 million domestic and $68.3 million worldwide. “American Fiction” dropped just 11% as it added $2.3 million, bringing its domestic total to $15 million.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56February 11, 2024 1:26 AM

Poor Henry Cavill!

by Anonymousreply 1February 4, 2024 9:25 PM

The moral of this story is, of course, to know when you're too large to be wearing a double breasted suit.dirong promos.

by Anonymousreply 2February 4, 2024 9:27 PM

Duwwell.

Diwong.

by Anonymousreply 3February 4, 2024 9:36 PM

Personally, I'd like to comfort Henry's ass, with my face!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 4, 2024 9:43 PM

I knew this movie would bomb when I saw the CGI cat in the preview.

by Anonymousreply 5February 4, 2024 9:48 PM

Apple just made $33.9 billion in profit last quarter. This for them is equivalent to me spending an extra $2.80 on guac at Chipotle. A box office hit would be nice, but that’s not their ultimate objective.

by Anonymousreply 6February 4, 2024 10:05 PM

What is their ultimate objective with movies, if not to make money?

by Anonymousreply 7February 4, 2024 10:40 PM

Apple probably made up its losses on this film from all the Vision Pro sales this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 8February 4, 2024 10:41 PM

[QUOTE] What is their ultimate objective with movies, if not to make money?

Increasing the number of Apple TV Plus subscribers, R7.

by Anonymousreply 9February 4, 2024 11:02 PM

[quote]Personally, I'd like to comfort Henry's ass, with my face!

Do you suppose he has a butthole?

by Anonymousreply 10February 4, 2024 11:11 PM

I hate that red head actress. I always want to punch her square in the face. She’s a talentless sow. Not at all attractive, too fat, and dull af.

by Anonymousreply 11February 4, 2024 11:19 PM

Waiting for it to stream on Peacock.

by Anonymousreply 12February 4, 2024 11:23 PM

Who cares, R10?

I wouldn't mind just kissing those buns!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 4, 2024 11:32 PM

[quote]I hate that red head actress. I always want to punch her square in the face. She’s a talentless sow. Not at all attractive, too fat, and dull af.

You have her mixed up with that other red headed talentless sow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14February 5, 2024 12:06 AM

Henry’s extreme hotness should Be a box office bonanza . He should just pose for hours in a speedo or without one -it would generate trillions !

by Anonymousreply 15February 5, 2024 12:24 AM

Looks like I'm in the minority but I totally enjoyed the movie. It was always entertaining and had energy. You just couldn't take it seriously.

by Anonymousreply 16February 5, 2024 12:37 AM

Is this the Cat movie?

by Anonymousreply 17February 5, 2024 5:27 PM

Spoiler alert: the film is batshit for the first hour and then an enjoyable action romp with some batshit action sequences that looked amazing on the big screen.

Henry, along with John Cena, is effectively an extended cameo. Catherine O'Hara and Bryan Cranston have more screen time.

But it's refreshing to see this kind of film with a 40 year old female as the main character.

by Anonymousreply 18February 5, 2024 6:42 PM

Isn't it just Romancing the Stone?

by Anonymousreply 19February 5, 2024 6:44 PM

Henry Cavil looks like a dork. Like some dumb 80s jock.

by Anonymousreply 20February 5, 2024 6:53 PM

Matthew Vaughn’s films are unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 21February 5, 2024 7:00 PM

unbearably heterosexual.

by Anonymousreply 22February 5, 2024 7:13 PM

It actually gets very obviously gay at the end. Seeing as we can't do spoilers, I'll translate into Hebrew and people can use google translate to decipher.

ברייס דאלאס היא סוכנת חשאית אבל עברה פציעה מוחית והיא שכחה מי היא והפכה לסופרת ויצרה את דמותו של הנרי על סמך עצמה - שמה הוא רייצ'ל קייל - אר קייל aka ארגייל. דמותו של ג'ון סינה (הסיידקיק של הנרי) מבוססת על סם רוקוול, בת זוגו של ברייס. ברייס וסם הם ללא ספק זוג רומנטי, כלומר הנרי קאוויל וג'ון סינה הם הומואים לגמרי ביחד ועושים אנליות הדדיות.

by Anonymousreply 23February 5, 2024 8:13 PM

Cavill's bottom teeth are narley, doesn't his union have dental?

by Anonymousreply 24February 5, 2024 11:14 PM

Apple can afford to lose some money.

by Anonymousreply 25February 5, 2024 11:17 PM

[quote] Cavill's bottom teeth are narley, doesn't his union have dental?

But his ass is divine!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 5, 2024 11:22 PM

The movie is too long. The filmmakers would’ve benefited from having a good editor who could have eliminated at least some of the excess footage.

And I also wondered why Cavill has never gotten his teeth fixed. He’s worth millions, so he can afford it.

by Anonymousreply 27February 10, 2024 11:41 AM

[quote] The movie is too long.

Ain't that true for most movies?

by Anonymousreply 28February 10, 2024 11:51 AM

I didn’t hate it as much as my friends but it is way too long. Howard is convincing as a frumpy recluse writer, completely unbelievable as a badass spy. I hate to body shame but I feared for Sam Rockwell’s back during their dance scenes together. People complaining about Cavill’s teeth need to save some vitriol for his wigmaker. I have no idea what was going on with his hair in this but it looked terrible

by Anonymousreply 29February 10, 2024 12:18 PM

For the Hebrew readers amongst us, here is the spoiler in Welsh so as not to ruin the ending.

Mae Bryce Dallas yn asiant cudd ond cafodd anaf i’w hymennydd ac anghofiodd pwy oedd hi a daeth yn awdur a chreu cymeriad Henry yn seiliedig arni’i hun – ei henw yw Rachel Kyle – R Kyle aka Argyle. Mae cymeriad John Cena (sidekick Henry) yn seiliedig ar Sam Rockwell, partner Bryce. Mae Bryce a Sam yn amlwg yn gwpl rhamantus, sy'n golygu bod Henry Cavill a John Cena yn hollol hoyw gyda'i gilydd ac yn gwneud rhefrol i'w gilydd.

by Anonymousreply 30February 10, 2024 12:46 PM

For the myriad of Welsh-speakers on DL, I am posting the translation to Burmese:

Bryce Dallas သည် လျှို့ဝှက်အေးဂျင့်တစ်ဦးဖြစ်သော်လည်း သူမသည် ဦးနှောက်ဒဏ်ရာရရှိခဲ့ကာ သူမသည် မည်သူဖြစ်သည်ကို မေ့သွားကာ စာရေးဆရာတစ်ဦးဖြစ်လာကာ သူ့ကိုယ်သူအခြေခံ၍ Henry ၏ဇာတ်ကောင်ကို ဖန်တီးခဲ့သည်၊ သူမ၏အမည်မှာ Rachel Kyle - R Kyle aka Argyle ဖြစ်သည်။ John Cena (Henry's sidekick) သည် Bryce ၏လုပ်ဖော်ကိုင်ဖက် Sam Rockwell ကိုအခြေခံထားသည်။ Bryce နဲ့ Sam တို့ဟာ ရိုမန်တစ်ဆန်တဲ့ စုံတွဲတွေဖြစ်ပြီး Henry Cavill နဲ့ John Cena တို့ဟာ လုံးဝ လိင်တူချစ်သူတွေဖြစ်ပြီး တစ်ယောက်နဲ့တစ်ယောက် စအိုဝလုပ်နေကြတာ ထင်ရှားပါတယ်။

by Anonymousreply 31February 10, 2024 1:35 PM

I’ll post the ending in Lizsha:

IT SHUCKSH!

by Anonymousreply 32February 10, 2024 1:37 PM

[quote] IT SHUCKSH!

As does Henry.

by Anonymousreply 33February 10, 2024 3:42 PM

I still don't understand the critics' rating of 32% on Rotten Tomatoes while the audience score is more than twice as much. Obviously this isn't Oscar material. But in terms of story or direction I found the movie very entertaining. Once I realized very early in the movie that the entire thing is lunacy, I was having a great time. At times it reminded me of the more ridiculous Bond movies of the 70s - you know, Bond in space with Jaws and his little girlfriend. Only Bond played it straight while this movie clearly was comedy. I kinda feel bad that it probably won't turn into a trilogy as initially planned. Most of the superhero and sci-fi movies take themselves way too serious. This was a nice change to that trend.

by Anonymousreply 34February 10, 2024 5:54 PM

My friends went to see it because of the cat. I passed.

by Anonymousreply 35February 10, 2024 6:02 PM

[quote]For the Hebrew readers amongst us, here is the spoiler in Welsh so as not to ruin the ending.

[quote]Mae Bryce Dallas yn asiant cudd

Bryce Dallas is an Asian cunt?

by Anonymousreply 36February 10, 2024 6:03 PM

R27 British people have a bizarre point of pride with imperfect teeth. They think we are the crazy ones with our obsession with them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37February 10, 2024 6:32 PM

R35 that’s another problem with the movie. The cat isn’t in it that much. The movie was advertised with Henry Cavill holding a cat. It was falsely advertised.

by Anonymousreply 38February 10, 2024 6:34 PM

Henry Cavill's pussy was an obvious but unfortunate promotional tool

by Anonymousreply 39February 10, 2024 6:36 PM

I think the problem with the movie is that they hired Henry Cavill with the intention of making this like Play It Again Sam. I think that he was going to alternate with Rockwell’s character and break the fourth wall throughout the movie. They actually started to do this and dropped the concept right after the train scene. Why?

Because of the way Vaughn was editing the film, with quick cuts. The cuts where Rockwell and Cavill are switched out gave the sensation of what I can only imagine schizophrenia feels like. It was frightening. The only time I have gotten that schizophrenic feeling was actually watching films about dementia or schizophrenia, like Olive Kitteridge. Extremely creepy, unpleasant feeling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 10, 2024 6:42 PM

[quote] British people have a bizarre point of pride with imperfect teeth.

I don't find that so bizarre. His teeth are real and healthy (I suppose). I appreciate that more than a bright white and unnaturally even porcelain bar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41February 10, 2024 6:45 PM

[quote]I think the problem with the movie is that they hired Henry Cavill with the intention of making this like Play It Again Sam. I think that he was going to alternate with Rockwell’s character and break the fourth wall throughout the movie. They actually started to do this and dropped the concept right after the train scene. Why?

If you saw the film you'd understand very well why Henry and Sam are not interchangeable.

by Anonymousreply 42February 10, 2024 6:58 PM

I want Henry Cavill and John Cena to double team me but this movie looked like absolute trash.

by Anonymousreply 43February 10, 2024 7:03 PM

Yes I did see the film. If you saw the film you would realize that they started with the concept of swapping them with each other and then quickly dropped it.

by Anonymousreply 44February 10, 2024 7:04 PM

I have seen the film and it is made explicit why Cavill and Rockwell can't swap around.

by Anonymousreply 45February 10, 2024 7:19 PM

And I have seen the film and understand cause and effect are not terribly important to the story. It’s a messy screenplay. But beginning a stylistic flourish with the top-billed and likely top-paid star and then abandoning it quickly for more scenes of Sam Rockwell and Bryce Dallas Howard seems unlikely to have been intentional. I think they tried Play it Again Sam, it didn’t work and they dropped it. I doubt Henry Cavill would have signed on to the role as it appears in the movie. It’s a nothingburger.

by Anonymousreply 46February 10, 2024 7:28 PM

Cool. So you both saw the movie. And you both have your opinions. Can we move on before it becomes the typical DL quibble? TIA

by Anonymousreply 47February 10, 2024 7:56 PM

Did you mean squabble?

by Anonymousreply 48February 10, 2024 8:00 PM

Sure R47, but imagine someone complaining that they were disappointed with Psycho because Janet Leigh wasn't in the film that much.

by Anonymousreply 49February 10, 2024 8:03 PM

[quote] Cool. So you both saw the movie. And you both have your opinions. Can we move on before it becomes the typical DL quibble? TIA

[quote] Did you mean squabble?

Why must EVERYTHING be a contest???

by Anonymousreply 50February 10, 2024 10:28 PM

It was a missed opportunity to not have Cavill and Cena kiss at the end

by Anonymousreply 51February 10, 2024 10:38 PM

Omg r51 I thought it looked like that was going to happen too

by Anonymousreply 52February 10, 2024 11:54 PM

That cat was the worst CGI I have seen in a major motion picture in decades.

by Anonymousreply 53February 10, 2024 11:56 PM

As bad as the CGI is, remember that this movie was cost $200 million. Where did the money go? The whole thing looked piss cheap.

Dune, by comparison, with its Oscar winning visual effects, costs $165 million.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54February 11, 2024 1:08 AM

Man from UNCLE, which featured period costumes and location shooting in Rome, cost $75 million. It looked a hell of a lot better than Argylle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55February 11, 2024 1:14 AM

The Lone Ranger, which was declared one of the biggest bombs of all time, cost $215 million and contained full-sized locomotive reproductions.

It’s entirely possible Argylle was able to assemble its impressive cast by vastly overpaying everybody. Henry Cavill, who would typically get between 10 and 12 million for a studio film he was actually the star of, probably got the same for this lesser role. Maybe even more. Bryan Cranston, it wouldn’t shock me if he got $8-10 million. John Cena and Dua Lipa, for extended cameos, maybe got $4 million.

That’s the only way they could have spent so much money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56February 11, 2024 1:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!