Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

An honest thread about Patti LuPone

Can we have one? I just watched her Broadway "Rose's Turn" on YouTube and it's one of the best I've ever seen. I think she sang the Sunset Blvd original cast recording beautifully, even though Glenn acted it better. It deserves recognition. Her Fantine and Nancy were terrible. Uneven career, but some real highlights.

Thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 33June 17, 2024 2:40 PM

No, we can’t.

by Anonymousreply 1February 4, 2024 1:59 PM

OP, Why not start out with some fireworks?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 4, 2024 2:02 PM

Give her credit. She was a great Reform Rabbi

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 4, 2024 2:27 PM

Saw Patti in Evita - twice. Perfection.

She’s a Broadway legend, OP. There’s nothing uneven about her career.

by Anonymousreply 4February 4, 2024 2:39 PM

[quote] Saw Patti in Evita - twice. Perfection.

"Perfection" she was not, by her own admission. Even she has acknowledged she was terrible with enunciation until after "Evita."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 4, 2024 2:45 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 4, 2024 2:55 PM

I love her, because too many musical theater people are bland, boring and lack the capacity to hit the heights. In her case, it can mean falling flat, but her commitment always is there and her delivery can be thrilling.

And her non-musical acting roles always have been measured, intelligent, and grounded in character.

by Anonymousreply 7February 4, 2024 2:59 PM

you've been PATTI LUPONED

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 4, 2024 3:14 PM

First saw Patti in the San Francisco tryouts for Evita: July, 1979 at the Orpheum Theater.

She couldn't speak after the performance (later it was said the San Francisco run was when and where she got the role right - the LA tryouts had been rough) but Jesus, she was magnificent onstage.

Most recently? in War Paint.

by Anonymousreply 9February 4, 2024 3:53 PM

She’s not a nice person.

by Anonymousreply 10February 4, 2024 4:18 PM

Patti has a stage presence and charisma that only the greats have. R5 doesn't get it.

by Anonymousreply 11February 4, 2024 4:38 PM

No one cares about that R10. 99.99999% of audience members will never have a meaningful interaction with her.

by Anonymousreply 12February 4, 2024 4:43 PM

My favorite Patti performance was Reno in Anything Goes. I saw a preview and she was in top form. Looked like she was having a blast and her vocals were out of this world. Saw an early preview of Gypsy and she was perfect in every way. Went back 9 mos later right before it closed and she was terrible. Hammy, playing to the audience, vocals were all over the place and way too BIGGGG. Of course the audience loved every over the top moment but I thought she and the production were sloppy. I'm a fan but not a big fan.

by Anonymousreply 13February 4, 2024 6:47 PM

She's our Merman and Bernadette's our Martin.

by Anonymousreply 14February 4, 2024 6:51 PM

R14. In every respect

by Anonymousreply 15February 4, 2024 7:16 PM

Also saw her Evita in 1979 in San Francisco. One of my favorite memories in a lifetime of theater. Watching her become a star was very satisfying. Also - she’s my favorite Fantine. I think her “I Dreamed a Dream” has never been bettered.

by Anonymousreply 16February 4, 2024 7:48 PM

“Put your goddamn phone away! YOU WILL WATCH ME!”

by Anonymousreply 17February 4, 2024 8:01 PM

[quote]She’s not a nice person.

SO?

by Anonymousreply 18February 4, 2024 8:06 PM

Sure, then we'll have a rational discussion about transgender children, the Oxford comma, and the last revival of Follies.

by Anonymousreply 19February 4, 2024 8:15 PM

The last revival of Follies at the NT in London was the best live theatre I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 20February 4, 2024 8:17 PM

I too saw her twice in Evita. She made a fabulous impact. Caught the eye.

by Anonymousreply 21February 4, 2024 8:23 PM

I think Streisand should have had her play Yentl and just directed it. She would have been amazing and more passable as the Yeshiva Boy than Streisand, who always seemed too quaffed.

With Lupone starring, Streisand could have gotten that best director oscar.

by Anonymousreply 22June 17, 2024 12:10 AM

What's the use of feeling blue?

by Anonymousreply 23June 17, 2024 12:19 AM

I never liked her.

by Anonymousreply 24June 17, 2024 1:00 AM

R14 Martin could sing.

by Anonymousreply 25June 17, 2024 1:01 AM

She’s ugly, she’s an average theatre actress with a slightly above average voice.

Being Jewish has helped her immensely

by Anonymousreply 26June 17, 2024 1:05 AM

I think she's tremendous!

by Anonymousreply 27June 17, 2024 1:36 AM

R26 is either Joanna Gleason or Bill Smitrovich

by Anonymousreply 28June 17, 2024 1:46 AM

She doesn't seem like a very nice person. She bad mouths everyone in her autobiography.

She even goes thru the cast of Anything Goes and singles out how she did like and who she didn't, right down to the chorus members.

by Anonymousreply 29June 17, 2024 1:59 AM

I saw her recent show at Carnegie Hall. She was classy and delivered. I am not a fan of her vocal tics- she swallows her pitch and at time sort of yodels- as her vibrato wobbles and goes flat like Merman and Liza. It’s no wonder none of them had recording success. All are (were) best seen in person performing.

by Anonymousreply 30June 17, 2024 2:09 AM

I also saw her in Evita twice. She’s incredible.

by Anonymousreply 31June 17, 2024 2:11 AM

Her pussy stinks.

by Anonymousreply 32June 17, 2024 2:38 PM

MARY!

We've had hundreds of honest threads about Patti LuPone. We're sick to our back teeth of dissecting her complicated talent.

by Anonymousreply 33June 17, 2024 2:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!