Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What was Shirley Temple like in real life, as an adult?

She grew up to be very pretty, but knowing she was a republican turns me off her.

by Anonymousreply 94February 11, 2024 5:50 PM

Very intelligent, supposedly.

She was the US Ambassador to Ghana and to Czechoslovakia.

by Anonymousreply 1February 3, 2024 1:19 AM

Terrible problem with flatulence.

by Anonymousreply 2February 3, 2024 1:24 AM

People got tired of her always pulling out the ruffled skirt and singing “Good Shop Lollipop” into her 50s.

by Anonymousreply 3February 3, 2024 1:32 AM

She was indeed very pretty as she got older. Which is prob lucky for her as she was so doted upon as a cute child.

by Anonymousreply 4February 3, 2024 1:33 AM

There is a big difference between Republicans in the 1950-1980s and today.

by Anonymousreply 5February 3, 2024 1:59 AM

She auditioned for the role of Veda in Mildred Pierce.

by Anonymousreply 6February 3, 2024 2:01 AM

Her pussy stunk

by Anonymousreply 7February 3, 2024 2:05 AM

She had done it all, achieved everything by the time she was a teenager. No wonder she wasn't very ambitious as an adult. She deserved a simpler life out of the limelight.

But her fame did have a big resurgence in the 1950s when her movies were shown every Sunday morning to an entirely new generation of children like me. And riding on those new fans she hosted the gorgeously produced Shirley Temple's Storybook, a primetime TV show presenting a different fairy tale every Saturday (or was it Sunday?) night with major guest stars and sumptuous sets and costumes. I remember it well.

by Anonymousreply 8February 3, 2024 2:08 AM

Look it up lazy ass. She turned herself into a scholar and great diplomat. Many have credited her with the peaceful transitions in Eastern Europe.

by Anonymousreply 9February 3, 2024 2:25 AM

R9 I HAVE NOT TRANSITIONED!!!

by Anonymousreply 10February 3, 2024 3:06 AM

R8 A simpler life. As a diplomat?

by Anonymousreply 11February 3, 2024 3:15 AM

Really, OP? This is what you think about?

by Anonymousreply 12February 3, 2024 3:19 AM

Still short.

by Anonymousreply 13February 3, 2024 3:24 AM

When I come to Datalounge I just want to scream:

Grandfather, Grandfather, it’s me! I see more holes in here than Swiss cheese.

by Anonymousreply 14February 3, 2024 3:35 AM

r11, you're right. "Simpler life" was not the appropriate characterization of Shirley's adulthood. If anything, I can only assume it was far more complex, raising a family while serving as a foreign diplomat and probably having to constantly prove herself in a whole new way.

It says so much that she avoided scandal all her life, considering the extraordinary and inevitably pampered childhood she experienced. She had good parents.

by Anonymousreply 15February 3, 2024 3:40 AM

Not as tight as a two year old.

Or when.

by Anonymousreply 16February 3, 2024 3:48 AM

She kept Bill Bojangles locked in her basement and attended diplomatic functions with that monkey on her shoulder. The monkey was an undercover spy.

by Anonymousreply 17February 3, 2024 4:29 AM

[quote]She turned herself into a scholar and great diplomat. Many have credited her with the peaceful transitions in Eastern Europe.

When Reagan said in Berlin, "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall," Shirley piped up from the crowd "I'll do it," and proceeded to tear it apart with a crowbar and sledgehammer while humming "At the Codfish Ball."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 3, 2024 4:33 AM

She taught slaves how to dance! See, I told you that slaves learned beneficial skills!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19February 3, 2024 4:40 AM

In the 1930s, Graham Greene wrote a review of the Shirley temple film "Wee Willie Winkle" where he talked about the peculiar and disturbing eroticism of the very young Temple's performances. He was absolutely correct (just look at the two dances she does above), but he was successfully sued by Temple's parents and had to flee to Mexico.

What's really funny is that if you read the diaries and letters of the other famous writers of the time (like Virginia Woolf) they all feel sorry for Greene and keep referring to "that bitch Shirley temple" (who was only ten years at the time).

by Anonymousreply 20February 3, 2024 4:42 AM

I actually wish she had done more acting as a teen/ adult. I think she’s very charming in The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer with the incomparable Myrna Loy. It’s a ridiculous premise and completely underbaked (do we ever find out why her sister is her guardian?), but she does well and doesn’t overly cutesy it up beyond what the eke calls for, which a lot of child actors never age out of.

by Anonymousreply 21February 3, 2024 4:50 AM

Eh, she was one of the pre-Goldwater Republicans who got involved before ol’ Barry and his buddy Quaker Dick cooked up the Southern Strategy. That whole thing—the Southern Strategy designed to use racism to court voters from the South—was the beginning of the end for rational Republicanism. Shirley’s party affiliation began well before that. I wouldn’t let that be a turn-off.

by Anonymousreply 22February 3, 2024 4:56 AM

^eke = role.

by Anonymousreply 23February 3, 2024 5:00 AM

Eek!

by Anonymousreply 24February 3, 2024 5:30 AM

Shirley's Storybook series had a suicide timeslot. Opposite Dennis the Menace and Lassie, Disney, and the first half hour of Maverick.

by Anonymousreply 25February 3, 2024 6:04 AM

She became an alcoholic…..drink

by Anonymousreply 26February 3, 2024 6:20 AM

I always found it rather unseemly that she would be dancing with older colored men!

by Anonymousreply 27February 3, 2024 11:45 AM

Gave a ready made career to John Agar when they married. He was an alcoholic who beat her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 3, 2024 11:55 AM

Talking about Arthur Freed exposing himself to her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29February 3, 2024 2:16 PM

Full interview with Larry King

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 3, 2024 2:17 PM

Sometimes I'm curious about is, since she never made any musicals as a young adult, could she still dance?

As for her performances as an older teen or young adult, I don't think she would have made it if she's started then, rather than as a child. They sort of shoehorned her into a Mr. Belvedere movie with Clifton Webb as a young widow with a baby, and I was bored with her.

by Anonymousreply 31February 3, 2024 2:22 PM

I don't believe Shirley's testimony about Arthur Freed and Mayer. The real reason Shirley flopped at MGM was her mother interfering in every project proposed for her. She was originally slated for BABES ON BROADWAY with Mickey & Judy - but in a supporting featured role (played by Virginia Weidler, whoo I love) . MGM sensibly thought it best to re-introduce Shirley in smaller roles before featured ones. But Mrs. Temple thought "Shirley is a Star" and turned down ensemble roles for her in BORN TO SING, BARNACLE BILL (with Wallace Beery) abnd an Andy Hardy movie.

by Anonymousreply 32February 3, 2024 2:49 PM

...also "The Youngest Profession" about autograph hounds . Exasperated, MGM threw Shirley into KATHLEEN ad washed their hands of her and her mother. Interestingly Weidler did all the roles at MGM intended for Shirley.

If Mrs. Temple had not been such an annoyance, Shirley might well have had a nice career at MGM.

by Anonymousreply 33February 3, 2024 2:56 PM

She seemed like a nice adult lady.

by Anonymousreply 34February 3, 2024 3:08 PM

If it wasn't true about Arthur Freed why would she have called him out by name?

by Anonymousreply 35February 3, 2024 3:18 PM

I don't think Shirley cared about establishing herself as a star at MGM and that was the reason it never happened. She'd had enough.

I love The Bachelor and the Bobbysoxer! Great film and she's superb in it and as r21 states upthread, she beautifully underplays a role that could have easily been saccharine and insipid. Shirley is also great in Since You Went Away as Claudette Colbert's younger daughter.

by Anonymousreply 36February 3, 2024 3:18 PM

Shirley did well under contract to David O. Selznick. he put her in Since You Went Away and I'll Be Seeing You (in supporting roles, with star billing). He also packaged The Bachelor And The Bobby Soxer which was made by RKO.

by Anonymousreply 37February 3, 2024 3:20 PM

I just looked up the plot of Born To Sing.

[quote] Frank Eastman is a down-on-his-luck show tune composer. He wrote some music while in prison which was subsequently stolen by well-to-do show promoter Arthur Cartwright. When Eastman's teenage daughter Patsy befriends some boys her age who plead with Cartwright to get Eastman the credit he is due. Cartwright calls the police, claiming extortion.

[quote] When the boys are arrested, they are placed in the same paddy wagon as gangster Pete Detroit. Pete's gang frees them all.

[quote] Patsy and the boys decide they can prove Eastman is the true composer if they perform a show before Cartwright's show debuts. They recruit neighborhood children and teens to perform.

Ugh. Sounds like an MGM 40s plot. Shirley was well out of this turkey.

by Anonymousreply 38February 3, 2024 3:27 PM

Otoh, it did have Margaret Dumont and Darla Hood.

by Anonymousreply 39February 3, 2024 3:28 PM

She was Chief of Protocol at the White House. Twice. I'll have to Gooige it. I have noIdea what it is.

by Anonymousreply 40February 3, 2024 3:52 PM

Why would she lie about the Arthur Freed incident? Everybody in the Freed unit adored him. But nobody talks about him being a pervert. But they weren't 10 year old girls.

by Anonymousreply 41February 3, 2024 4:02 PM

Judging from the smart and successful turn of her career I'm guessing that she'd really didn't want to have a career in Hollywood

by Anonymousreply 42February 3, 2024 4:24 PM

She was Chief of Protocol at the White House. Twice. I'll have to Gooige it. I have noIdea what it is.

Isn't it what Letitia Baldridge was?

by Anonymousreply 43February 3, 2024 4:27 PM

I respect her for walking away from movies, but she could have had a good career as an adult actress. Loved that Larry King interview. She’s just wonderful to listen to. What a life. And she married two hunks—too bad the first one was a drunk.

by Anonymousreply 44February 3, 2024 5:44 PM

Arthur Freed was known to be a predator

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45February 3, 2024 6:23 PM

Judging from how intelligent she sounded in that Larry King interview I'm going to really put my money on her not wanting to be in Hollywood anymore and you got to admit it when she cut the cord she cut the cord.

by Anonymousreply 46February 3, 2024 6:33 PM

Barrie probably could have handled Freed more diplomatically, or made up some kind of plausible lie about why she couldn't have sex with him, and still have gotten her test without putting out.

by Anonymousreply 47February 3, 2024 6:51 PM

She was a great little hoofer, but she couldn't live forever.

Sidewise: we own a ST collection and every Christmas season, we watch one of them.

by Anonymousreply 48February 3, 2024 6:52 PM

It's Shirley Temple Black History Month!

by Anonymousreply 49February 3, 2024 7:00 PM

"We" own.

by Anonymousreply 50February 3, 2024 7:02 PM

R32, why would Shirley go into a supporting juvenile role in a Rooney/Garland film a year after she left Fox and two years after she was the number one box office star on the planet, as a juvenile? Outside of Mary Pickford, Doris Day and Julia Roberts, Temple is the female box office draw of all time and to expect her while within a year or two of her stardom, to play supporting?

by Anonymousreply 51February 3, 2024 7:11 PM

R51 I wasn't around at the time, but wasn't her popularity declining? She was a child star, growing older, becoming an adolescent. What happened wasn't that unusual.

by Anonymousreply 52February 3, 2024 7:52 PM

Her popularity might have been on the decline, that was inevitable, but unlike so many child stars she kept her looks, and who's to say she couldn't have transitioned from teenaged ingenue into young leading lady roles if that had been her ambition.

by Anonymousreply 53February 3, 2024 9:32 PM

[quote]she hosted the gorgeously produced Shirley Temple's Storybook, a primetime TV show presenting a different fairy tale every Saturday (or was it Sunday?) night with major guest stars and sumptuous sets and costumes. I remember it well.

I think I watched every episode. Rapunzel was my favorite, starring Carol Lynley as Rapunzel and Don Dubbins as the prince. I remember her quite well, but not him. "Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair. So I may climb the golden stair."

by Anonymousreply 54February 3, 2024 9:46 PM

she hated the child star life, and her parents swindled her out of her fortune. she did pretty well considering.

by Anonymousreply 55February 3, 2024 10:14 PM

She told people to call her surely.

by Anonymousreply 56February 3, 2024 10:33 PM

R32, I do believe the Freed story. He was known for this kind of bullshit. Link to follow.

by Anonymousreply 57February 3, 2024 10:40 PM

^ R32 again. Freed was disgusting. Link here....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58February 3, 2024 10:45 PM

Oops, I see the link was already posted. I was so upset by R32 I swooped to the end of the thread to respond.

Sorry!

by Anonymousreply 59February 3, 2024 10:49 PM

R53 She did, for a while. The fact is, she wasn't a very good actress as an adult and even though she was popular, it wasn't like when she was a kid. She did the TV series, also. What do you want? She had two big, successful careers in her life.

by Anonymousreply 60February 4, 2024 12:01 AM

Many leading acting careers last only 5 or 6 years, hers lasted a lot longer than that. But most stars don't stay popular for a lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 61February 4, 2024 12:03 AM

R32

She would have been terrific in the Andy Hardy movies!

by Anonymousreply 62February 4, 2024 12:52 AM

Barrie is the “Mutual, I’m sure” girl from White Christmas and therefore a screen immortal

by Anonymousreply 63February 4, 2024 1:46 AM

S. Temple appeared on more than one 700 Club when she really didn't have to (for her job in the Reagan Ad. or anything else) so that tells you all what kind of repub she really was.

by Anonymousreply 64February 4, 2024 3:07 AM

R63 Absolutely true. Another line: "Well, I like that! Without so much as 'kiss my foot' or 'have an apple'!"

She also played the girl near the beginning of the original Cape Fear who tells about the experience she had with Max Cady (R. Mitchum).

She really was great dancing with Fred Astaire in those three TV specials (which were fantastic). I think she also was Fred's girlfriend at the time.

by Anonymousreply 65February 4, 2024 3:22 AM

Anyone know what’s become of her daughter Lori Black, aka Lorax ?

by Anonymousreply 66February 4, 2024 5:35 AM

“So she’s a pretty tough broad, you know? She’ll rip your head off and eat you for breakfast,” said Osborne.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67February 4, 2024 5:47 AM

Barrie was the highlight of the movie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68February 4, 2024 6:17 AM

I was one of Shirley's dearest friends. She would have been so proud of me for winning my Oscar, which was a real, full-size one, incidentally, not a silly miniature one like Shirley got.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69February 4, 2024 6:31 AM

When she became an adolescent, there were already some stars playing teenage roles who far outshone her (Judy Garland anyone?). I think she would have faded out had she continued, and wisely chose to exit rather than face that humiliation. I also think it's difficult for child stars to reignite careers. Mickey Rooney was able to, and Drew Barrymore and Jody Foster, but Haley Osment and Tatum O'Neal, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 70February 4, 2024 6:31 AM

Her daughter played bass for the Melvins, which is pretty strange.

by Anonymousreply 71February 4, 2024 10:07 AM

R66 She was kicked out of the melvins for her drug problem, then moved back in with her mom after getting busted for possession and got clean. She’s a photographer now.

by Anonymousreply 72February 4, 2024 10:09 AM

[quote] In the 1930s, Graham Greene wrote a review of the Shirley temple film "Wee Willie Winkle" where he talked about the peculiar and disturbing eroticism of the very young Temple's performances. He was absolutely correct (just look at the two dances she does above), but he was successfully sued by Temple's parents and had to flee to Mexico. What's really funny is that if you read the diaries and letters of the other famous writers of the time (like Virginia Woolf) they all feel sorry for Greene and keep referring to "that bitch Shirley temple" (who was only ten years at the time).

He basically said that her films were designed to appeal to paedophiles. He wasn’t necessarily wrong. She was choreographed in dances that would make Madonna blush.

To her immense credit, Shirley Temple donated her winnings from the civil suit to British charity.

by Anonymousreply 73February 4, 2024 11:20 AM

I saw her once at a mall around the time of the videos at R29 and R30. She was signing books with an instantly recognizable Shirley Temple grin, toothy and chipmunk-cheeked, but with a stiff Atherton-matron bouffant. It was a little surreal.

by Anonymousreply 74February 4, 2024 11:26 AM

Graham Greene was one of the prewar fashionable Oxford communists. He was always hostile to the United States so it makes sense he would feel the same to a symbol of American global cinema dominance.

by Anonymousreply 75February 4, 2024 11:43 AM

Ms. Temple entered the Palo Alto bookstore where I was working in 1977 and boy was she a pipsqueak. I had to lean over the counter to talk to her. She looked adorably dimpled.

by Anonymousreply 76February 4, 2024 12:53 PM

I do not find Shirley Temple’s dancing to be erotic.

by Anonymousreply 77February 4, 2024 1:35 PM

r40 = Sunny Davis

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78February 4, 2024 2:03 PM

I don't doubt that Freed was a predator...but he seems to have specialized on starlets and women in the office. I can't see him doing that to Shirley Temple, who was a huge "catch" for the audio, even after her THE BLUE BIRD (1940) pretty much ended her career at Fox.

I do like YOUNG PEOPLE (1940) her final Fox film as a juvenile.

MGM tried with Shirley. They were the studio who knew how to groom juvenile performers into teenage stars.

r38: BORN TO SING is not all that dissimilar to Shirley;s JUST AROUND THE CORNER (1938).

by Anonymousreply 79February 4, 2024 2:46 PM

[quote] She was choreographed in dances that would make Madonna blush.

Ridiculous. And please don’t cite one or two things out of the many.

by Anonymousreply 80February 4, 2024 3:16 PM

R80 Scolding like a cunt, drop dead bitch.

by Anonymousreply 81February 4, 2024 3:32 PM

We haven't heard from Shirley's on screen nemesis.

by Anonymousreply 82February 4, 2024 4:27 PM

[quote]I don't doubt that Freed was a predator...but he seems to have specialized on starlets and women in the office. I can't see him doing that to Shirley Temple, who was a huge "catch" for the audio, even after her THE BLUE BIRD (1940) pretty much ended her career at Fox.

Sexual predators escalate their offending. Freed exposing himself to a child is entirely plausible and a major indicator that he did a lot of other sick shit for which he was never held accountable.

by Anonymousreply 83February 4, 2024 7:03 PM

It does seem strange that Freed would expose himself to Shirley with her mother at the studio meeting with Mayer at the same time. But I guess he thought he'd get away with it, and he did get away with it.

by Anonymousreply 84February 4, 2024 7:15 PM

Don't forget the Baby Burlesks...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85February 4, 2024 7:47 PM

Too bad our Jon-Benet wasn't around then.

by Anonymousreply 86February 4, 2024 10:23 PM

[quote] Don't forget the Baby Burlesks...

Don't infer 21st century prudery to the depression era.

by Anonymousreply 87February 5, 2024 7:00 AM

[quote]Don't infer 21st century prudery to the depression era.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 88February 5, 2024 11:41 AM

She was so good in "Young People" and "Heidi".

by Anonymousreply 89February 11, 2024 1:11 AM

Wasn’t she on the Good Ship Lollipop when it hit the iceberg? You know Dorothy, they made that movie about it, Lifeboat staring Marlene Dietrich.

by Anonymousreply 90February 11, 2024 1:17 AM

Not yet mentioned was her adult role in John Ford's "Fort Apache (1948)". Great movie.

Shirley played the daughter of the fort's new commanding officer Lt. Colonel Thursday, played by Henry Fonda. Fonda's character was a nasty SOB. Jealous, stupid and ignorant.

Shirley does a fine job, with a light touch. Her character has her eye on Lt Michael O'Rouke (played by Shirley's husband John Agar) the son of the Sgt Major Michael O'Rouke (played by Ward Bond). Fonda questions Bond to ask how Bond's son got an appointment to West Point.

Here's the dialog...

Lt. Col. Thursday: This Lt. O'Rourke - are you by chance related?

RSM Michael O'Rourke: Not by chance, sir, by blood. He's my son.

Lt. Col. Thursday: I see. How did he happen to get into West Point?

RSM Michael O'Rourke: It happened by presidential appointment, sir

Lt. Col. Thursday: Are you a former officer, O'Rourke?

RSM Michael O'Rourke: During the war, I was a major in the 69th New York regiment... The Irish Brigade, sir.

Lt. Col. Thursday: Still, it's been my impression that presidential appointments were restricted to sons of holders of the Medal of Honor.

RSM Michael O'Rourke: That is my impression, too, sir. Will that be all, sir?

That's all that's said but the audience and the new nasty, jealous, suspicious Colonel now know that the senior O'Rourke was the holder of the Medal of Honor.

by Anonymousreply 91February 11, 2024 5:43 PM

^ And O'Rourke Sr had no need to brag of his accomplishment to the new CO. He only reveals that he has the MOH through answering Fonda's probing, ignorant questions.

by Anonymousreply 92February 11, 2024 5:46 PM

What's always fascinating to me about Shirley Temple is that her cutesy-pie "singing" and acting have aged terribly, but her dancing as a small child is still extraordinary. She could really keep up with great dancers like Bill Robinson and Buddy Ebsen.

by Anonymousreply 93February 11, 2024 5:46 PM

Homer Simpson (as King Kong) meeting Shirley Temple makes me laugh every time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94February 11, 2024 5:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!