Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Truman Capote's Recipes

Food for watching Swans--fettucine and souffle Furstenberg

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31March 4, 2024 1:04 AM

The Cote Basque Menu

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 2, 2024 5:59 PM

La Côte Basque’s Dacquoise

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 2, 2024 6:30 PM

It is always a perfect spring day in this spacious, half-timbered dining room, with its striped awnings and brightly painted murals of the pretty harbor of Saint-Jean-de-Luz and a verdant woods that couldn't be better for a déjeuner sur l'herbe. La Côte Basque, a holdover from a time when a trip to one of the city's top French restaurants was almost as good as a trip to France, seems more inviting than ever.

On a recent night, the maître d' shepherded two patrons from the reservations booth through a crowded dining room to a banquette with the imperturbable smoothness of someone for whom doing this sort of thing is not a job but a calling. One look at the grizzled waiter told you that the acting profession, for this man, has never held the slightest allure. From les potages to les desserts, the dishes on the menu registered like warm, old friends, even to a diner with schoolboy French: bisque de homard, assiette de charcuterie maison, escargots méridionaux, casserole de Saint Jacques au safran, ris de veau sauté forestier, tarte tatin et sorbet au Calvados, crème brûlée à la Cassonade.

On that particular night, a seafood risotto with asparagus, and several quenelles in a lobster sauce, went down like food for extremely lucky babies. A crisp roast duckling in a perfectly balanced honey-and-Grand Marnier cherry sauce, and venison medallions in a sleek red-wine sauce, cast a baronial glow. A mixed-berry tart and a chocolate cake with a truffle center and white-chocolate sorbet brought a luxurious sense of completion. "Finished?" the waiter inquired when the spoons were put down. The only response, as he cleared the dishes away, was to smile and order a very good Armagnac, for old time's sake. (Open Mondays through Saturdays for lunch and dinner, Sundays for dinner only. Prix fixe $68.)

Published in the print edition of the November 19, 2001, issue.

by Anonymousreply 3February 2, 2024 6:33 PM

The filming locations of Feud.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 2, 2024 7:04 PM

Hot stuff coming through!

by Anonymousreply 5February 2, 2024 7:07 PM

Gin and regret. Fold into the tears of an aging elder queen.

by Anonymousreply 6February 2, 2024 7:42 PM

Sugared almonds and other Thanksgiving treats

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 3, 2024 2:29 AM

Tortes de fruit.

by Anonymousreply 8February 3, 2024 3:39 AM

Mon Dieu! I’m dieting! How can vous do this to moi at such a time?

by Anonymousreply 9February 3, 2024 3:45 AM

The Dreaded Plaza Chicken Hash

Recipe For Plaza Chicken Hash

4 Cups finely diced cooked chicken (white meat only)

1 1/2 C heavy cream

1 C cream sauce (bechamel)

2 tsps salt

1/8 tsp white pepper

1/4 C dry Sherry

1/2 C Hollandaise Sauce

Mix chicken, cream, Cream Sauce, and seasonings in a heavy skillet. Cook over moderate heat, stirring often for about 10 minutes. When moisture is slightly reduced, place skillet in a moderate oven 350 and bake 30 minutes. Stir in Sherry and return to oven for 10 minutes. Lightly fold in Hollandaise Sauce and serve at once. Makes 4-5 servings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 8, 2024 2:53 AM

Did he have a recipe for Pancakes Barbara?

by Anonymousreply 11February 8, 2024 2:58 AM

Not gonna lie. This is my favorite DL thread of all time.

by Anonymousreply 12February 8, 2024 3:29 AM

No wonder he got so fat if he was always chowing down on fettucine and Soufflé Furstenberg. Good lord.

by Anonymousreply 13February 8, 2024 3:53 AM

My Favorite Supper For Two By Truman Capote: This always makes a success and leads to interesting things.

4 baking potatoes 1 pound fresh caviar

1 pint dairy sour cream 2 bottles Champagne

Bake the spuds, split them, and mash them about a bit with gobs of sour cream. Stuff the whole mess with masses of caviar, and devour between gulps of freezing Champagne.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14February 8, 2024 6:56 AM

Here ya go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 8, 2024 9:08 AM

MOAR

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 8, 2024 9:37 AM

Wtf? I need that recipe for green olive jambalaya

by Anonymousreply 17February 11, 2024 1:16 AM

I think I prefer Mrs. Truman's Famous Fruit Punch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 11, 2024 1:22 AM

James Baldwin's Cod Cheeks in Green Sauce

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19February 29, 2024 4:07 AM

That soufflé sounds delicious -and easy to make!

by Anonymousreply 20February 29, 2024 4:52 AM

I've no doubt I'm a far better cook than the Southern Pansy was.

My Almond Torte is to die for!

by Anonymousreply 21February 29, 2024 5:03 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 29, 2024 9:14 AM

The Valentine Dinner for two at R14 sounds great.

by Anonymousreply 23February 29, 2024 9:32 AM

No self respecting swan would eat that shit.

by Anonymousreply 24February 29, 2024 9:45 AM

No self respecting swan would eat.

by Anonymousreply 25February 29, 2024 10:24 AM

R3, MARY!

Whenever I hear some referring to food is “like old friends”, I know the person is fat and has an eating disorder.

by Anonymousreply 26March 3, 2024 4:46 PM

Swan Cutlets

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 3, 2024 8:31 PM

Blecchhhh

by Anonymousreply 28March 3, 2024 9:25 PM

The weirdest part of "La Cote Basque, 1965" is that Lady Ina Coolbirth (the character based on Slim Keith) orders soufflé Furstenberg (which is not even on the menu) for her and PB Jones (the character based on capote) to eat while she gives him all the gossip.

Would they even have ever served this as La Cote Basque, given that it's not in the style of the food they regularly served? And how likely is it that a social x-ray would eat something so fattening in public in front of all her friends? It is true that by the time the story was written Slim Keith was no longer slim, but I would have bet she did not eat fattening rich foods often in public.

by Anonymousreply 29March 3, 2024 9:39 PM

Names of dishes were changed to protect the innocent R29

by Anonymousreply 30March 4, 2024 12:28 AM

The food you are about to eat is true.

by Anonymousreply 31March 4, 2024 1:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!