Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is Royal Caribbean’s Icon of the Seas the ugliest tourist attraction ever created?

It’s like they saw Circus Circus and said “times 1000” 🎪 🤡

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124February 15, 2024 12:57 AM

I like bright colors, but I wouldn't want to be on a ship that big. It's tempting fate.

by Anonymousreply 1February 1, 2024 11:06 PM

Boats like this are catnip for conservative Southerners.

by Anonymousreply 2February 1, 2024 11:21 PM

Think it's sorta cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 1, 2024 11:23 PM

It’s rather fascinating because it’s so terrible. I can’t imagine being stuck on that nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 4February 1, 2024 11:28 PM

What could possibly go wrong?

by Anonymousreply 5February 1, 2024 11:34 PM

Perfect setting for the Tasteful Friends Cruise.

by Anonymousreply 6February 1, 2024 11:41 PM

Must be a magnet for the Hot Houti.

by Anonymousreply 7February 1, 2024 11:43 PM

I'd get on that thing if it was free. It's obnoxious and trashy looking but I bet it's comfortable on board. If it hit an iceberg or got bombed, there's a ton of colorful bullshit to grab on to while it sinks. I'd have a fun story at parties.

by Anonymousreply 8February 1, 2024 11:48 PM

If it sank 10,000 people would go down!

by Anonymousreply 9February 2, 2024 3:48 PM

^ More than a White Party

by Anonymousreply 10February 2, 2024 3:48 PM

All cruise ships look hideous like floating multi story hotels. What’s the point of taking a sea voyage if you can’t even tell you’re on the sea?

by Anonymousreply 11February 2, 2024 7:48 PM

R 11 nailed it. I guess the trash goes for the free booze and a way to pretend they’re not trash because they are “taking a cruise.” You couldn’t pay me to take it

by Anonymousreply 12February 2, 2024 7:54 PM

Monstrosity on the seas. If it sank you’d be doomed to death. No escape on a fucking lifeboat as that behemoth would suck you down with it

by Anonymousreply 13February 2, 2024 8:26 PM

It is ugly and ungainly looking. The asymmetrical shape is a fail. And like the Oasis class ships, there’s no real connection to the sea.

by Anonymousreply 14February 2, 2024 8:34 PM

They don't care about making ships beautiful on the outside anymore R14. Just pack as much crap onto the outer decks as you can.

by Anonymousreply 15February 2, 2024 10:33 PM

It’s essentially a floating Six Flags

by Anonymousreply 16February 3, 2024 12:09 AM

To me as an introvert this looks like a nightmare to me. I like a nice cruise, but this exponential Vegas feeling would make me sick. I've enjoyed Celebrity cruises more because on those ships you don't really notice how crowded it is. But this - nope, not feeling it. Carnival is probably jealous right now.

by Anonymousreply 17February 3, 2024 12:20 AM

Has anyone here watched any of JoJo Crichton or Kyle Pallo’s vlogs of the maiden voyage?

by Anonymousreply 18February 3, 2024 12:25 AM

Chuck-e-Cheese for retired drunk people…

They had better offer great sign-up bonuses for any staff packing meat; they’re going to earn every penny.

by Anonymousreply 19February 3, 2024 12:52 AM

I'm rooting for the rogue wave.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 3, 2024 1:20 AM

It looks vulgar inside. I prefer Art Deco or even tasteful midcentury. I don't understand what they are doing here. Did they hire Joe Farcus from Carnival?

by Anonymousreply 21February 4, 2024 11:28 PM

Icon of the Seas Cabins and Suites Tour - One is VERY CONTROVERSIAL!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 7, 2024 1:23 AM

The most HONEST review. The word is in all caps so it must be so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 7, 2024 1:39 AM

I’m a tacky bitch and I wish I could ride this boat.

by Anonymousreply 24February 7, 2024 1:57 AM

It's the first outside job our design team has tackled, and we're thrilled with how it turned out!

by Anonymousreply 25February 7, 2024 7:24 AM

Those interior balconies are a ripoff. You can’t enjoy the sun.

by Anonymousreply 26February 7, 2024 12:27 PM

I'd go and look for all the forgotten '70s TV actors and has-been old movie stars that I understand are frequently on board.

by Anonymousreply 27February 7, 2024 12:45 PM

Is anyone waiting, like me, for one of these monstrosities to go down just like the Titanic killing thousands? They just seem like total death traps.

by Anonymousreply 28February 7, 2024 1:13 PM

I don’t understand the open-air center atrium? section. Are those cabins overlooking it? Who would stay in a cabin over.liking the interior of the ship? The noise bouncing off the walls would be horrendous.

by Anonymousreply 29February 7, 2024 1:23 PM

I guess they’d be ideal for those who enjoy people watching.

by Anonymousreply 30February 7, 2024 1:34 PM

One can only imagine the sort of people who would be one’s fellow passengers. [shudder]

by Anonymousreply 31February 7, 2024 1:35 PM

God, it's tackier than I thought after watching that YouTube review. It looks like a dated shopping mall to me...and it's BRAND NEW!

by Anonymousreply 32February 7, 2024 1:36 PM

People who say things like “The best thing about this area is that it has literally four different food spots” should not be content creators.

Also, saying your review is “very honest “ of course suggests it’s corrupt as hell.

by Anonymousreply 33February 7, 2024 1:40 PM

[R29] Probably better than staying in an interior room with no windows.

by Anonymousreply 34February 7, 2024 1:42 PM

what a HORROR!

by Anonymousreply 35February 7, 2024 1:46 PM

We probably won't ever see a Titanic level disaster again. There are too many (well, enough) lifeboats/tenders on modern day cruise ships. Plus, these ships really just cruise around the Caribbean so icebergs and rogue waves probably aren't much of a threat. I could totally see bad actors (terrorists) trying to blow one up or an over-achieving active shooter taking it to open waters. Even with that, a quick response from land and sea would happen and emergency personnel would be on scene immediately in those unfortunate circumstances. Gastro-intestinal illness and drunk jumpers/baby droppers will remain a thing, though.

by Anonymousreply 36February 7, 2024 1:56 PM

About midway through the review—which focuses a lot on how uncrowded the ship feels and how you never have to wait for anything—our intrepid reviewer casually drops that the ship is not at full capacity. Hmm.

by Anonymousreply 37February 7, 2024 2:00 PM

Really, R36? I don’t really buy that. I’m sure that there are emergency provisions in place now, but extreme things happen in water disasters that can’t be controlled, and these ships seem to be profoundly unregulated in their design and size. When you’re dealing with ten thousand midwestern disabled fatasses needing to be removed from fast sinking ship (for whatever reason) you’re asking for serious disaster.

When that ship nearly the Italian coast turned on its side, thirty people died, despite the fact it was right next to shore. If something that enormous starts sinking in open water with a bunch of panicking people who have no experience in the ocean, there’s going to be a lot of death.

by Anonymousreply 38February 7, 2024 2:31 PM

It’s near impossible to get firearms onboard a cruise ship. Or any other type of weapon. Potential pirates are deterred using these hornlike tools that emit a deafening sound and high powered fire hoses. But 99.9% of the time guns and other weapons don’t get through security. I’m guessing it would have to be an intricately planned inside operation.

by Anonymousreply 39February 7, 2024 3:30 PM

R39, I agree for the most part but there are security vulnerabilities everywhere. I wonder if produce, musical instruments, liquor and other supply shipments go through metal detectors and spot checks.

by Anonymousreply 40February 7, 2024 3:49 PM

Or a small thermonuclear device .

by Anonymousreply 41February 7, 2024 3:50 PM

think of the people who go on cruises. they'll think this is like a wonder of modern art and design.

by Anonymousreply 42February 7, 2024 3:57 PM

I just hope they fixed the windows

by Anonymousreply 43February 7, 2024 3:57 PM

He interviewed one youngish guest who has been on 20 of these cruises. I have to think that represents a significant percentage of his vacations. To me it’s like vacationing in a shopping mall. I suppose the illusion of “free” food and booze at the mall is a powerful lure for some.

by Anonymousreply 44February 7, 2024 4:07 PM

r23 Who better to trust for an honest review than someone wearing merch of the thing he's reviewing?

Also, a Disney adult.

by Anonymousreply 45February 7, 2024 4:13 PM

Not me r42. It really is ugly to me, inside and out.

by Anonymousreply 46February 7, 2024 4:48 PM

r43, I'll have my guys fix those pronto.

by Anonymousreply 47February 7, 2024 7:13 PM

Consider that IOS carries 3x's the passengers that Concordia carried: The only thing that limited the death on Concordia is it sank close to shore. If IOS catches fire or sinks miles at sea . 10,000 people may die. Thousands of the slave like multinational crew will rise up from below decks and scramble into the boats and rafts leaving the fat old Muricans to burn and drown.Something to look forward to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48February 7, 2024 11:51 PM

Bill Burr has an excellent idea of how to deal with people who cruise for fun.

Go out at night in a one-man submarine and torpedo the ships at random, during their awful dance marathons. All the watery margaritas and fried meats will go down with the ship. Nothing of value will be lost.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49February 8, 2024 12:02 AM

I don't see a huge cruise ship disaster happening, unless shitters go down and/or a mega virus mutates, but it would be a fun, exciting, non-political 2024 news story

by Anonymousreply 50February 8, 2024 12:19 AM

Is there a less hideous child free pool?

by Anonymousreply 51February 8, 2024 12:22 AM

I stay away from the pools and Jacuzzis. Many people just jump on in without washing first. Trifling af.

by Anonymousreply 52February 8, 2024 12:35 AM

[quote]I stay away from the pools and Jacuzzis. Many people just jump on in without washing first.

Yes, but many of those things unwashed are young men's genitals. You have to have the right mindset.

by Anonymousreply 53February 8, 2024 12:48 AM

Ew.

by Anonymousreply 54February 8, 2024 1:22 AM

r 22 god i hate their voices

by Anonymousreply 55February 8, 2024 1:54 AM

Its less worse inside than I expected given how hideous it is outside. Going by the review at R22 its pretty standard cruise ship interior decor, I dont like it but then there hasnt been a ship interior built to my tastes for over a hundred years. It looks comfortable enough and /i could live with it for the duration of a cruise, but then cruises dont really appeal to me anyway

by Anonymousreply 56February 8, 2024 2:16 AM

You people are such snobs.

I feel right at home.

by Anonymousreply 57February 8, 2024 2:39 AM

R57 That's because you're trash, dear.

by Anonymousreply 58February 8, 2024 2:42 AM

[quote] but it would be a fun, exciting, non-political 2024 news story

Oh honey, sadly there is nothing -- no thing -- that isn't politicized now. Both teams will be looking to score inane points with psychotic gusto and dripping with hypocrisy.

by Anonymousreply 59February 8, 2024 11:20 PM

The DEUTSCHLAND has beautiful Art Deco interiors but she is rather small and isn’t really marketed outside of Germany. And only two of her cabins have balconies. But her interior design is stunning.

by Anonymousreply 60February 9, 2024 12:02 AM

R58, that isnt necessarily true, I'm kinda trashy and I dont like cruise ships

by Anonymousreply 61February 9, 2024 2:36 AM

I meant I feel right at home here with you snobs, not with that cruise crowd.

by Anonymousreply 62February 9, 2024 3:43 AM

From Frau to stern

by Anonymousreply 63February 9, 2024 3:57 AM

I'm a regular cruiser -but never on one of those giant ships. Royal Caribbean's newer ships are all inward-facing. The only windows are in your cabins, so most of the time you can't even tell you're on a ship. Why bother? I'll stick to the smaller ships and classier lines.

by Anonymousreply 64February 9, 2024 4:22 AM

Nobody did cruising better than Al Pacino.

by Anonymousreply 65February 9, 2024 11:55 AM

Ooooh, such Old World elegance, class, cosmopolitism and aristocratic flair!

Unless cruises are EXTREMELY expensive and on the smaller side, you're bound to find trash who think that they're potentates because they're visiting 20 destinations in two weeks, inhaling food all day long and getting drunk each night at one of the discotheques, thanks to their all-drinks-included package.

Cruises were something relatively exclusive a hundred years ago, and up to the 1960s only middle class people could afford them. However, nowadays it's all Shane the Tradie and his wife Kayleigh the Nail Technician with the gaggle of little chavs, or sleazy, fat people who think that getting drunk at sea is more refined than doing so at the local pub.

In short, nobody minimally civilized ought to go on a cruise, unless it is with the very selective, small and expensive companies. As for this ship, is it any wonder that it looks like a cross between a cheap water park and a brothel? After all, the sorts of people who would frequent those places need to feel at home... 🤮🤮🤮

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 9, 2024 12:43 PM

[quote]All the watery margaritas and fried meats will go down with the ship

Oh, the humanity!

by Anonymousreply 67February 9, 2024 12:47 PM

Right on cue, R58.

by Anonymousreply 68February 9, 2024 12:54 PM

The Times weighs in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69February 9, 2024 2:23 PM

Kind of bullshit to have the ship’s reviews written when the ship is only 2/3rds full.

by Anonymousreply 70February 9, 2024 2:33 PM

I suppose with 8000 passengers the odds some may be 10s like myself would be improved. Simultaneously the chances of multiple families getting into entertaining fights in the dining room would increase even moreso.

[quote] If it sank 10,000 people would go down!

We already had a wreck like that. They did it with a much smaller ship.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71February 9, 2024 4:29 PM

Like a vacay at the Beverly Center with a chance of drowning.

by Anonymousreply 72February 9, 2024 5:04 PM

Vomit of the Seas

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73February 9, 2024 5:13 PM

I tend to not like anything designed for families. Kids ruin everything if you don't have them. The vibe on the ship is off - the parents don't really get to relax like they want, there's always chaos in the dining rooms, the pools are overrun with running kids.

Fuck that shit.

I prefer some sophistication like Celebrity or Virgin. The rest of the standard cruise lines are either for the elderly, families, or for unsophisticated lower income people.

NO thanks. But Celebrity and Virgin seem to provide a good experience.

by Anonymousreply 74February 9, 2024 5:17 PM

Viking Cruises and Regent Cruises come close to recreating the cruise experience of the 80's that I like. Of course you pay a premium price.

by Anonymousreply 75February 9, 2024 5:24 PM

A good rule of thumb is, if you know the cruise line from TV -avoid it. NCL, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess... They have all signed onto the giant-amusement-park-for-the-family concept. Their food and service has declined noticeably along with the ship bloat. You have to pay more to get what cruising used to be back in the day. That comes with smaller ships, fewer kids, and older passengers. Celebrity, Virgin, Viking, Cunard, Holland America... Though Celebrity is flirting with the family thing lately -much to the chagrin of their longtime fans. Oddly, Disney is clearly into the family thing, but they manage to do is significantly better than the other lines, making sure there are real adults-only spaces and quiet zones and keeping the level of food and service up.

A traditional cruise is still a wonderful vacation. Modern megaships (almost typed magaships for some reason) are an abomination.

by Anonymousreply 76February 9, 2024 5:35 PM

R76 Disney is family-oriented, but pricey enough to keep out the trash.

Virgin is adults-only, but don't mistake that for upscale. It's actually quite gaudy and boozy.

by Anonymousreply 77February 9, 2024 5:53 PM

R42 you're right. People who sail on these cruises are probably coming from boring beige houses with white walls and hand-me-down furniture. Even if tacky, they think the bright decor is paradise for a week.

by Anonymousreply 78February 9, 2024 6:11 PM

They don't give a rat's ass about the decor or colors, R78. They care about someone else doing the cooking and cleaning while they booze it up and play like a kid -and someone else is dealing with the kids. It is the natural extension of our national narcism. They get to pretend they are rich and important for a week.

by Anonymousreply 79February 9, 2024 6:24 PM

I just can't get over the fact that it looks like it should capsize the instant it tries to move away from the pier. Scooping everyone on deck into its cavernous interior atrium as it does so, and allowing their final moments to be a simulation of being trapped inside a pinball machine.

by Anonymousreply 80February 9, 2024 6:42 PM

It looks like a Playmobil cruise ship.

by Anonymousreply 81February 9, 2024 6:59 PM

Look at that thumbnail for the YouTube at r22. It’s classic clickbait.

Apparently the thumbnails that have an arrow accompanied by really stupid text are irresistible — like a photo of a Lamborghini with an arrow pointing to a wheel and text saying “why only four?”

I really despair of modern life.

by Anonymousreply 82February 9, 2024 7:05 PM

[quote] We probably won't ever see a Titanic level disaster again.

Well, r36, the only thing that’s truly unsinkable is Molly Brown, but we likely won’t ever see a titanic type sinking because of the sheer stupidity of that ship’s design, elegant though her appearance might have been.

Large ships have a series of walls inside the hull that go from front to back. They have doors that allow passageway from one section to the next. If a hole develops under the waterline, you can close the doors and the compartment with the hole will flood, yes, but not the rest.

The designers of the Titanic decided they didn’t need to have these walls go all the way up to the deck. So, even though they closed the doors in the section where the iceberg damage was, once that compartment flooded, the water flowed over the top of the wall to the next compartment. Rinse and repeat and you have a lot of dead robber barons and immigrants.

Needless to say, this was seen as a suboptimal arrangement by ship designers.

by Anonymousreply 83February 9, 2024 7:13 PM

No ferris wheel?

by Anonymousreply 84February 9, 2024 7:59 PM

[quote] the parents don't really get to relax like they want, there's always chaos in the dining rooms

Or they leave their children unattended…which is worse than the parents being unable to enjoy themselves.

by Anonymousreply 85February 9, 2024 10:27 PM

They have activities and facilities for parents to dump their kids and have someone else look after them.

by Anonymousreply 86February 9, 2024 10:38 PM

[quote] Virgin is adults-only

That wasn't my experience...

by Anonymousreply 87February 10, 2024 12:52 PM

With all of those people on board, how do they decide who gets to sit at the captain’s table?

by Anonymousreply 88February 10, 2024 3:18 PM

Highest bidder would be my guess.

by Anonymousreply 89February 10, 2024 3:40 PM

In the contemporary cruise industry, the senior crew are not as personable as Captain Steubing and Gopher. There are a few that are beloved (Celebrity Cruises’ Kate McCue, the only American woman commanding a ship, is universally adored) and who are out and mix with the passengers, but more of them just stay on the bridge.

by Anonymousreply 90February 10, 2024 4:03 PM

Personally, I would prefer the ship's captain and first-in-command to be, oh I don't know, manning the fucking ship rather than making inane small talk with Aunt Lorraine from Des Moines about her vegetable garden.

by Anonymousreply 91February 10, 2024 4:17 PM

With a crew of more than 2,000, I’m sure they can find someone to take over if the computer that is controlling the ship goes down while the Captain is at dinner.

by Anonymousreply 92February 10, 2024 4:22 PM

r39 r40 - Stewards are trained to look through cabins for firearms, etc.

by Anonymousreply 93February 10, 2024 4:42 PM

r91 r92 On the newest ships, that captain can walk around with an Ipad that has virtually "the entire bridge on it". Controls have been available now for about 20 years where the entire vessel can be remotely controlled, although that is not supposed to be discussed with outsiders like the people reading this thread.

by Anonymousreply 94February 10, 2024 4:46 PM

"With all of those people on board, how do they decide who gets to sit at the captain’s table?"

Simple: it is exclusively for defrocked priests and New York detectives who have married prostitutes. Oh -and Marla Gibbs' sister.

by Anonymousreply 95February 10, 2024 4:48 PM

[quote] On the newest ships, that captain can walk around with an Ipad that has virtually "the entire bridge on it".

So a passenger would just need to grab the iPad if they want to make an unscheduled port of call.

by Anonymousreply 96February 10, 2024 4:49 PM

The first two Disney ships are the best looking ships. Subsequent ships are bulkier, taller and less graceful. The MAGIC & WONDER come closest to mimicking the classic liners of the past.

by Anonymousreply 97February 10, 2024 4:50 PM

R90 Jeffrey Sterling is no Gavin MacLeod on that point.

by Anonymousreply 98February 10, 2024 4:53 PM

r96 It's 'read only'. PS - Remote controls are usually physically disconnected for security reasons, like, um unscheduled port calls.

by Anonymousreply 99February 10, 2024 4:55 PM

But a captain doesn't always follow the rules!

by Anonymousreply 100February 10, 2024 4:56 PM

Oops 😬 wrong thread

by Anonymousreply 101February 10, 2024 4:57 PM

[quote] The first two Disney ships are the best looking ships. Subsequent ships are bulkier, taller and less graceful. The MAGIC & WONDER come closest to mimicking the classic liners of the past.

Nothing is going to top the Disney Adventure, the hull from the bankrupt Dream Cruises they bought for the Chinese market.

Huge and ugly.

by Anonymousreply 102February 10, 2024 5:02 PM

R102 The Chinese never did have any taste. They won't notice or care, as long as they can take selfies around decadent Western cartoon characters.

by Anonymousreply 103February 10, 2024 6:05 PM

Plus the names of the Chinese cruise ships are terrible. At least when they are translated into English. ADORA MAGIC CITY and PIANO LAND must sound better in their native tongue.

by Anonymousreply 104February 10, 2024 6:46 PM

I mean, “Disney Adventure” is better than its intended name “Global Dream” at least.

Frankly, it sounded like hell on Earth as was originally intended. Dream Cruises was planning her to have a passenger capacity of 9000, which Disney has lowered to the somewhat less daunting 6000.

by Anonymousreply 105February 10, 2024 6:57 PM

On the positive, it’s supposed to run on green methanol instead of diesel or LNG, so it’ll be closer to carbon neutral.

by Anonymousreply 106February 10, 2024 7:12 PM

[quote] The first two Disney ships are the best looking ships. Subsequent ships are bulkier, taller and less graceful.

Just like Rosie O'Donnell!

by Anonymousreply 107February 10, 2024 10:49 PM

It's funny.

When I look at that ship, I wonder how it stays afloat. I never question how a much larger aircraft carrier stays afloat, but that ship just looks like it'll Poseiden Adventure if tapped the wrong way by a wave, let alone an actual storm.

by Anonymousreply 108February 10, 2024 10:52 PM

R108 there is some very interesting finite-element computer modeling that goes on to determine stability. An example of this is placing whatever number of tons (yes, they are heavy fuckers) of slot machines will be in the casino.

Fuel, luboil, potable water, non-potable water of assorted uses, grey water, and black water tankage are almost all used for stability, and can be pumped into alternate tanks if needed, such as high winds.

by Anonymousreply 109February 10, 2024 11:27 PM

"The Chinese never did have any taste." r103 Which also explains Lang Lang.

by Anonymousreply 110February 10, 2024 11:46 PM

Have any of you ever sat at the captain's table for dinner?

by Anonymousreply 111February 11, 2024 7:03 AM

Yes, multiple times, r111.

by Anonymousreply 112February 11, 2024 1:06 PM

R111 - No, but I offered to sit on the Captain's lap.

by Anonymousreply 113February 11, 2024 2:21 PM

R111 Only once, when I was traveling with Danny Thomas, but I found the glass a little slippery. And I wondered why he said it would be such an honor, considering the mess he told me to make.

by Anonymousreply 114February 11, 2024 4:19 PM

While I agree with you about the perceived stability, R108, the eyesore in question is actually about 100 feet longer than a Nimitz class aircraft carrier and 2.5x the mass. I think there are some supertankers and container ships that are a bit longer, but a quick search only turned up one ship currently in service that's significantly heavier. (The Pioneering Spirit, a crane ship used to move and install entire oil drilling platforms.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115February 12, 2024 4:22 PM

Yes.

And that includes Las Vegas, Dubai, the Shanghai Disney Resort, and Casa Bonita in Denver.

by Anonymousreply 116February 12, 2024 4:25 PM

Are the window openings in the cabins large enough to discreetly drop the frame of a six-year old girl?

by Anonymousreply 117February 12, 2024 4:38 PM

R115 That ugly ship is a catamaran, and a working girl.

And nearly 600 people can be berthed inside her.

by Anonymousreply 118February 12, 2024 8:39 PM

[quote] think there are some supertankers and container ships that are a bit longer, but a quick search only turned up one ship currently in service that's significantly heavier. (The Pioneering Spirit, a crane ship used to move and install entire oil drilling platforms.)

Here's a video with some size comparisons of both current and historical ships, both commercial and military.

Somewhat ironically, the graphic places the Titanic and Costa Concordia next to each other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119February 13, 2024 3:48 PM

Also, Ever Given, the Chinese container ship that got stuck in the Suez Canal a few years ago is longer than Icon. It doesn't quite have the same displacement, but that's also because it's heavier when fully loaded.

by Anonymousreply 120February 13, 2024 3:52 PM

I can smell the sticky, screaming children from a still photo.

by Anonymousreply 121February 13, 2024 4:25 PM

Worse than the gaudiness and cheap carnival appeal of the ship is the thought of being trapped aboard that thing for several days with the kind of people who would actually pay to do a cruise on it.

by Anonymousreply 122February 13, 2024 4:35 PM

Pictured: R122

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123February 13, 2024 4:37 PM

R119 - Cool video, thanks for posting. Is it weird that so many of those ships sank? I had no idea the Edmund Fitzgerald was that big.

by Anonymousreply 124February 15, 2024 12:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!