Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Connie Francis

Kind of an old looking 22.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75June 17, 2024 2:03 AM

Wasn’t she raped by a. Lack guy and stopped singing?

by Anonymousreply 1February 1, 2024 10:49 PM

She was dreamy.

by Anonymousreply 2February 1, 2024 10:56 PM

She has suffered.

And she always looked old for her age.

by Anonymousreply 3February 1, 2024 11:38 PM

She was very close friends with my aunt growing up in NJ.

She’s had her share of trouble and tragedy.

First the rape, then her brother was murdered by the mob. They gunned him down while he was standing in the driveway of his home.

And don’t forget 4 failed marriages.

My aunt and my mom always spoke highly of her. They always said she was one of the nicest girls they ever met.

She deserved better.

by Anonymousreply 4February 2, 2024 12:35 AM

And she could sing phonetically in a ton of languages. Imagine "Lipstick on Your Collar" in Urdu or Croatian!

by Anonymousreply 5February 2, 2024 12:43 AM

The clip is hilarious---her "dancing" (if you want to call it that) among those phallic decorations, lipsynching the the song in front of rather old looking teen agers, all chewing gum. They're probably in their 80s now or are worm food.

by Anonymousreply 6February 2, 2024 12:48 AM

Dress, hair and makeup for young women was very 'mature' back then. They all ended up looking like younger versions of their moms. Connie always looked very pretty in her movies and she excelled at comedy. Always liked her.

by Anonymousreply 7February 2, 2024 12:52 AM

Connie, herself, never considered herself beautiful. She would joke at her concerts when someone yelled from the audience that she looked great. She would respond with "Do you think I actually look this beautiful! I have Leonardo Davinci backstage to look like this!. She actually was beautiful and glamorous when made up, but that was during the 1980s. The late 1950s and early 1960s had its own style that made all women look older. A great talent and she did so many great things for others and never mentions them Never had a publicist either.

by Anonymousreply 8February 2, 2024 1:44 AM

R5 Yes, she did. She did speak Italian and Yiddish quite fluently, and very fluent Italian later. Her Italian Favorites LP shot to the top of the charts and stayed on the charts for 82 weeks. Her single, Mama, was not planned as a single release until she and MGM heard the reaction form the audience when she first performed it on The Perry Como Show. This led to her having consistent shows throughout her career at Carnegie Hall, London Palladium, and Royal Albert Hall. She was already a regular and one of the biggest performers at The Copa.

by Anonymousreply 9February 2, 2024 1:50 AM

She was always a messy bitch who lived for drama. Shelley Fabares was positively virginal by comparison.

by Anonymousreply 10February 2, 2024 1:55 AM

I ❤️ Connie.

by Anonymousreply 11February 2, 2024 2:44 AM

R10 - Paula Prentiss

by Anonymousreply 12February 2, 2024 3:22 AM

I like how she holds her hands like paws.

by Anonymousreply 13February 6, 2024 12:02 PM

She had a face that belongs on a can of tomato paste.

by Anonymousreply 14February 6, 2024 12:11 PM

OP- She looks like someone’s middle aged mother all dressed up for a dinner party .

by Anonymousreply 15February 6, 2024 12:27 PM

but could she rock a house dress 👗 and pearls to vacuum?

by Anonymousreply 16February 6, 2024 12:32 PM

R6-Two of the actors who played teenagers in West Side Story are now in their 90’s-

Rita Moreno is 92

and

George Chakiris is 91.

by Anonymousreply 17February 6, 2024 1:02 PM

There's a chapter in John Waters' "Carsick" in which he fantasizes about Connie, picking him up while he's hitchhiking. I won't reveal all because it's really funny and DLers should read it.

by Anonymousreply 18February 6, 2024 1:23 PM

I want "Where The Boys Are" to be played at my funeral.

by Anonymousreply 19February 6, 2024 1:37 PM

"Connie, herself, never considered herself beautiful." "I like how she holds her hands like paws." "She had a face that belongs on a can of tomato paste."

These quips are why I shall always love the Datalounge.

What I don't love is that stumpy, plain, thick waisted, hard-faced, overacting non-actress with the fake sob in her voice: CF. It's eye-rolling to see how latter-day MGM's beauty squad tried to make her look otherwise: study her excruciating musical romcoms for every textbook costume, photography, and hair/makeup trick to make her look taller, thinner, more girlish. And when you compare the poster art rendition of her to the reality that's there on the film, it's laugh-aloud ridiculous. Plus there are those photos with her face turned to the side to hide that gigantic moonface.

She's a Republican so she may profess to love the gays as an individual but she's always voted for people who don't. And it's surprising in these days where cancel culture comes for Kate Smith that CF's cultural appropriation albums haven't resulted in an anti-Connie pop culture moment.

Has the old George Burns joke ever been told here on Datalounge? The story goes Mr. Burns had an assistant read him the headlines as he was prepping for his nightly Vegas show so he could quip about current affairs. When the assistant told him, "Connie Francis was raped last night after a show at Westbury Music Fair." Mr. Burns asked, "Did they get her arrangements?" "No," replied the assistant. Burns answered, "Then she's still in show business."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 6, 2024 2:25 PM

Watching the sad, out of sync, poorly coiffed audience in that clip, which almost looks like the people come from another country in another dimension -- most of the girls, and some of the guys, are chewing gum.

Did people constantly chew gum back then? In public like this? It's weird.

by Anonymousreply 21February 6, 2024 2:35 PM

They were chewing gum because it was Dick Clark's Saturday Night Beech-Nut show sponsored by Beech-Nut chewing gum.

And some of the kids are wear buttons that say "IFIC" which means terrific, but we always thought it stood for "I fuck in cars!"

Your DL history lesson for today.

by Anonymousreply 22February 6, 2024 2:46 PM

Where The Boys Are- Only 22 years old and looking much older. She looks rather stiff her and nervous but this song is perhaps my favorite song of hers and she's singing live her and beautifully.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 6, 2024 2:59 PM

R22 is why I come to Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 24February 6, 2024 3:35 PM

I used to know one of Burns' former assistance. he became a funeral director to the stars.

by Anonymousreply 25February 6, 2024 8:22 PM

I watched the video at OP just to see her hold her hands like paws.

She looks like my aunts. I wonder if she and Bobby Darin were really each other’s true love, or if that’s just something she says because nobody’s alive to refute it.

by Anonymousreply 26February 6, 2024 11:16 PM

Interview with Ms. Francis o PBS, I think from 2018. She's made friends with her fans over the years. Very sweet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27February 7, 2024 12:32 AM

[quote]Yes, she did. She did speak Italian and Yiddish quite fluently

She obviously did not understand a word she was singing. This is hilariously bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 7, 2024 12:57 AM

She looks like hell in R27's pic. Some really botched plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 29February 7, 2024 12:57 AM

R23: Where did she ever get that dress? is the fringe supposed to distract from everything else?

by Anonymousreply 30February 7, 2024 1:00 AM

The real thing was funnier than any SCTV parody could possibly be:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 7, 2024 1:06 AM

One of the greatest voices of the 20th Century when she sang songs like Born Free, The Impossible Dream, I Will Wait For You. She had stage presence and charisma. Data Lounge loves her. She and Bobby Darin would hold their hands in such a manner while singing. She, however, soon gave that up for more natural hand movements. One critic described some of her hand movements as humming-bird like quickness. A great international superstar.

by Anonymousreply 32February 7, 2024 2:11 AM

R28 She did speak Italian, and became better at it over time. nevertheless this LP shot straight to the top of the charts and remained on the charts for over 80 weeks. Her best Italian LP is Love Italian Style recorded in Milan in 1967.

by Anonymousreply 33February 7, 2024 2:14 AM

R32: It's time for your medication.

by Anonymousreply 34February 7, 2024 2:23 AM

She looks old enough to play canasta with the other spinsters here.

by Anonymousreply 35February 7, 2024 2:24 AM

[quote]nevertheless this LP shot straight to the top of the charts and remained on the charts for over 80 weeks.

To the top of the charts? And what charts may that be?

by Anonymousreply 36February 7, 2024 2:27 AM

I just don’t know where this thread is going?

by Anonymousreply 37February 7, 2024 2:33 AM

R31- That's TOTALLY

Dorothy singing or actually Blanche singing or attempting to sing a tune at the Rusty Anchor

by Anonymousreply 38February 7, 2024 3:10 AM

[quote] To the top of the charts? And what charts may that be?

Might those be, dear.

by Anonymousreply 39February 7, 2024 3:41 AM

Oooops sorry.

by Anonymousreply 40February 7, 2024 4:06 AM

I liked her Broadway LP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41February 7, 2024 3:50 PM

She was a huge star in the 50's into the 60's. And always a huge Vegas draw when she headlined there. A lot of charisma, an amazing voice and talented singer. She is still active on Facebook (probably a team doing the work) and she still looks lovely and elegant. I wish she'd get more recognition for her career.

by Anonymousreply 42February 7, 2024 4:04 PM

Imagine paying money to see this, it would be funny if it weren't so sad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43February 7, 2024 4:38 PM

If Joan Baez andd Dolly Parton can be in the Rock& Roll Hall of Fame, so can Connie Francis.

by Anonymousreply 44February 7, 2024 4:53 PM

R43: She's back to hands as paws. No energy, she barely sings. And is that a hefty bag, a raincoat, or a dress.

by Anonymousreply 45February 7, 2024 5:01 PM

R38 Billboard!

by Anonymousreply 46February 8, 2024 2:16 AM

R42 That is an understatement! No one can take her success away from her. A great STAR throughout the world. She was never off the Billboard charts in the 50s and 60s. First female to have a #1 on the Hot 100 Billboard chart and first female to have back to back #1s on those charts.

by Anonymousreply 47February 8, 2024 2:19 AM

[quote]She was never off the Billboard charts in the 50s and 60s.

That's not true.

by Anonymousreply 48February 8, 2024 2:27 AM

[quote]First female to have a #1 on the Hot 100 Billboard chart

But it wasn't even in the top 10 of the Billboard Year-End Hot 100 singles.

Brenda Lee was at #6.

by Anonymousreply 49February 8, 2024 2:35 AM

I can't get enough of her hands as paws.

by Anonymousreply 50February 8, 2024 12:58 PM

R13- That's such a datalounge thing to say-

and I like it 👍

by Anonymousreply 51February 8, 2024 3:48 PM

^ Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 52February 8, 2024 3:50 PM

A live version from The Ed Sullivan Show June 14, 1959.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53February 8, 2024 3:59 PM

R53: Caterwauling, hands as paws, and twirling as a dance number, what could be more fun.

by Anonymousreply 54February 8, 2024 5:33 PM

This is my favorite song. I bought the 45 and played it so much, my brother threw it on the roof of the house so he wouldn't have to hear it again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55February 8, 2024 7:52 PM

But I showed him - awhile later I went out and bought this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56February 8, 2024 7:55 PM

Is the Connie Francis troll still alive?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57June 13, 2024 3:22 AM

This thread makes me think of Nancy's alcoholic mother from The Craft.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58June 13, 2024 4:18 AM

"Where the Boys and the Booze Are"

by Anonymousreply 59June 13, 2024 4:24 AM

R57... Really one of her best, written by her the team she discovered: Sedaka, Greenfield, Keller.

by Anonymousreply 60June 14, 2024 1:59 AM

I doubt that she discovered Sedaka, et al. They slaved away in the Brill Building and producers would have chosen their songs and presented the demos to multiple acts. Don Kirshner probably played a bigger role in his career than anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 61June 14, 2024 1:26 PM

Neil Sedaka is a fag.

by Anonymousreply 62June 14, 2024 3:06 PM

R62: Beyond that he already been recording (an early version of the Tokens and as a not yet successful solo) and writing before she was on the horizon. He met Howard Greenfield when he was in junior high and they were collaborators from early on.

by Anonymousreply 63June 14, 2024 4:38 PM

Greg was the Connie Francis troll???

by Anonymousreply 64June 14, 2024 4:43 PM

George Burns’ joke at r20 doesn’t make any sense.

Just because there’s an unfortunate event it doesn’t mean a performer changes careers. They probably need their work more than ever, to retain normalcy.

That joke is like saying:

“Connie Francis missed her flight.” / “Did she lose her arrangements?" / "No.” / “Then she's still in show business."

“Connie Francis’ child died.” / “Did her arrangements disappear?" / "No.” / "Then she's still in show business."

by Anonymousreply 65June 14, 2024 5:22 PM

[quote]Really one of her best, written by her the team she discovered: Sedaka, Greenfield, Keller.

Helen wrote music too?

by Anonymousreply 66June 14, 2024 5:30 PM

R61 Neil himself says he was discovered by Connie when he visited her home at the request of a mutual friend, Don Kirchner, and played selections, and she chose Stupid Cupid, his first million seller. From then on, he was a regular writer for Connie. She adored Howie Greenfield.

by Anonymousreply 67June 15, 2024 2:26 AM

^ After 1960 he never wrote another song for her. He moved on to other performers. You can't blame him.

by Anonymousreply 68June 15, 2024 3:00 AM

He was hardly discovered by her. Don Kirschner was a producer and people like Sedaka, Carole King, et al. supplied him with songs. R67 needs to get back on his meds and stop listening to Connie bleating way in Serbo-Croatian.

by Anonymousreply 69June 15, 2024 11:40 AM

No one remembers Neil Sedaka for the junk he wrote for Connie Francis.

"Solitaire", "Laughter in the Rain", "Love Will Keep Us Together", ""You Never Done It Like That" , "Workin' On a Groovy Thing ", "Don't Hide Your Love"....his quality work was written for others.

by Anonymousreply 70June 15, 2024 3:31 PM

Sedaka is back!!!!

by Anonymousreply 71June 15, 2024 8:50 PM

R70 Sure they do: Where The Boys Are, Fallin', His recording hit of Diary is about her.

R69 H, himself, states that she discovered him. If she had not recorded Stupid Cupid, he might not have gotten anywhere, and Where The Boys Are is one of his biggest sellers.

by Anonymousreply 72June 16, 2024 2:13 AM

I didn't know she was still alive. I liked Brenda Lee better.

by Anonymousreply 73June 16, 2024 2:20 AM

No major singer ever recorded a cover version of "Where The Boys Are", it is a dreary nostalgia piece stuck in its era.

Things like "Solitaire", "Laughter in the Rain", "Love Will Keep Us Together" still sound contemporary.

THIS is a pop masterpiece:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74June 16, 2024 2:38 AM

Many Recorded Where The Boys Are. Linda Eder is one. LeAnn Rimes is another, to name a few. Mary Sarah, as well. None can do it as well as Connie, and so that deters others from singing it. It is glued to her. Theirs will always be compared to hers. Yes, Connie recorded a great deal of pop pop, Who's sorry Now and Where The Boys Are are not that. She also has magnificent recordings on LPs such as The Impossible Dream, Born Free, I Will Wait For You, Brother Can You Spare A Dime, among others. She herself has stated that she should have recorded better material, but those hit songs made the money.

by Anonymousreply 75June 17, 2024 2:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!