Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THEATRE GOSSIP #550: The 'Chits is Dead but MLOP Isn't' Edition

Link to Old Thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600February 11, 2024 2:28 AM

Oh I like that title. Thank you, OP for getting us going.

by Anonymousreply 1February 1, 2024 1:07 PM

La Dolce Chita.

We Bajour you, and we adore you!

by Anonymousreply 2February 1, 2024 1:08 PM

Let us pray mlop's hideous Christmas sweaters are lost in the sands of time.

by Anonymousreply 3February 1, 2024 2:37 PM

Liza loved Chita and not Rita. So the last few days for international treasure Liza Minnelli has been tricky

by Anonymousreply 4February 1, 2024 4:17 PM

I just finished Chita’s surprisingly candid audiobook of her autobiography and she apparently is going to her grave continuing the confusion about the proper pronunciation of BAJOUR since she pronounces it both ways - BAH-jur and bah-JOUR - in the section about it. Nevertheless, it sounds like it was a sorta fun show… did anyone see it?

by Anonymousreply 5February 1, 2024 4:53 PM

R5, does she go in-depth on The Rink?

by Anonymousreply 6February 1, 2024 5:13 PM

Yes, R6. She is diplomatic about Liza’s troubles but paints a generally pleasant picture of the experience - after all, it was written for her by two of her best friends (Kander & Ebb) and she won her first Tony for it. That said, a much more complex and unpleasant account of the whole The Rink experience that probably paints a more accurate picture is in rehearsal pianist Paul Ford’s recent memoir which certainly is required reading for anyone in this thread - shockingly scathing and refreshingly no holds barred candid.

by Anonymousreply 7February 1, 2024 5:26 PM

Does anybody like Rita? Seems that good friend George Chakiris had enough of her endlessly trashing Natalie.

by Anonymousreply 8February 1, 2024 5:52 PM

Listening to Chita’s memoir now, it’s well written and of course she does a great narration.

In the 1st hour she made two remarks about Rita that I think in prison would be referred to as a shiv. lol

by Anonymousreply 9February 1, 2024 6:43 PM

What's the name of Paul Ford's memoir?

by Anonymousreply 10February 1, 2024 6:44 PM

Lord Knows, At Least I Was There: Working with Stephen Sondheim by Paul Ford

by Anonymousreply 11February 1, 2024 6:48 PM

Ford's book is a total mess, I could barely get through it. Not even that gossipy and fun.

by Anonymousreply 12February 1, 2024 6:57 PM

It definitely needed an editor. Think it was self-published.

by Anonymousreply 13February 1, 2024 7:02 PM

Paul Ford thinks a lot of himself but he’s so bitchy, you have to laugh.

by Anonymousreply 14February 1, 2024 7:53 PM

FOLLIES!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 1, 2024 8:27 PM

God, they were so young!

by Anonymousreply 16February 1, 2024 8:54 PM

[quote]Does anybody like Rita? Seems that good friend George Chakiris had enough of her endlessly trashing Natalie.

Why do you think that?

by Anonymousreply 17February 1, 2024 9:03 PM

Wait. There's going to be production of FOLLIES in Vegas with a full orchestra, actual showgirls and.... Ted Chapin in the cast?

by Anonymousreply 18February 2, 2024 1:23 AM

I saw Caroline O'Connor in a revival of The Rink in London a few years ago - Chita paid her a visit at one point. It was in a smaller venue, The Southwark Playhouse. Loved it

by Anonymousreply 19February 2, 2024 1:29 AM

Thoughts on Aaron and Sutton photo shoot ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 2, 2024 1:59 AM

None, whatsoever.

Next …

by Anonymousreply 21February 2, 2024 2:07 AM

MLOP is still alive?!

by Anonymousreply 22February 2, 2024 2:28 AM

We were trying to keep it from you, r18. We only discussed it behind your back.

by Anonymousreply 23February 2, 2024 2:31 AM

Those Follies stars were 46 to 50.

I think to be a lead today in Follies you've got to be between 65 and 75.

by Anonymousreply 24February 2, 2024 3:11 AM

R21 hater!

R20 Aaron's looking great! 😍 Can't wait till next week. It'll be my first time seeing him live AND my return to Broadway, post-Covid.

I recently became a fan several years ago, so I missed out on his early Broadway stuff. I had planned on seeing him in MOULIN ROUGE, which has his return to Broadway after nearly a decade, but then Covid happened.

Afterward, I was reluctant to return to NYC. Plus, they weren't producing anything worth my time. But now I have reason to go. 🥰

by Anonymousreply 25February 2, 2024 5:45 AM

Has anybody else noticed all frontal nude photos of Mike Doyle have been scrubbed from the Internet? I don't see why he certainly enjoyed being nude in front of an audience. At one point you could even see a video of his nude scene from The New Century. Has turning 50 suddenly made him regret his youthful indescretions? I bet he still looks great romping naked.

by Anonymousreply 26February 2, 2024 6:06 AM

Paul Ford is one of the grimmest, dourest old bitchy queens alive, and the odd thing is, he's a perfectly decent guy. I imagine he was exactly the same at age twenty-five. You know the type.

by Anonymousreply 27February 2, 2024 6:07 AM

I think Paul Ford said in an interview something along the lines of, "my publisher is the guy in the apartment above mine."

by Anonymousreply 28February 2, 2024 7:05 AM

Paul Ford’s memoir is literally “the nastiest people on Broadway” in book form. Clearly, he very talented - Sondheim himself gave him respect in his Tony Awards speech - and the great artists he worked with repeatedly proves that he’s a good egg, but he also recognizes the changes from late-1970s to 2015 of how much things have changed (in his opinion, not in a good way).

Case In Point: “The Gershwins” Porgy & Bess chapter.

by Anonymousreply 29February 2, 2024 8:22 AM

[quote]And, according to Tveit and Foster, it’s also a love story. “We’ve talked a lot about how this is a love story, and for the people who don’t already know Sweeney Todd, how long can we delay the inevitability of the end? How long can we instill hope for these characters?” posits Tveit.

Dear god, this will be a trainwreck

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 2, 2024 8:22 AM

R29 Jesus, will that girl ever stop fucking up the roles I made indelible?

by Anonymousreply 31February 2, 2024 10:59 AM

[quote] Has anybody else noticed all frontal nude photos of Mike Doyle have been scrubbed from the Internet?

No, we've sometimes been doing other things over the last few years.

by Anonymousreply 32February 2, 2024 1:56 PM

Disagree, r30. No idea how they'll do, but the love story angle doesn't seem off-base to me. She's absolutely in love with him, and with this casting - as with Nicholas Christopher and now Aaron, , a handsome Sweeney gives Mrs. L a lot to play, including attraction, that explains why they're together. Did wacky Angela really have the hots for morose Len or creepy George? or Patti for comatose Cerveris?

by Anonymousreply 33February 2, 2024 2:03 PM

Thanks to this thread, I ordered the Paul Ford book - I can't wait to read it!

by Anonymousreply 34February 2, 2024 2:11 PM

Enjoy, R34! I’ve listened to the audiobook twice myself… if you search for Paul Ford on Facebook and message him he will send you an additional 200 pages (!) or so that were cut from the final version, as well. Some even juicier stuff than what made the final edit of the book (apparently, yes, there was an editor at some point).

by Anonymousreply 35February 2, 2024 2:24 PM

[quote] Did wacky Angela really have the hots for morose Len or creepy George?

Even with the strange center parted hair and pale white make-up, Len had a sexiness to him. He was really magnetic in that role.

by Anonymousreply 36February 2, 2024 2:47 PM

I prefer Original Recipe Paul Ford.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37February 2, 2024 3:04 PM

[quote]Did wacky Angela really have the hots for morose Len or creepy George?

Absolutely. What a silly question.

by Anonymousreply 38February 2, 2024 3:13 PM

You'll get to read a lot about how drunk Mr. Ford was.

by Anonymousreply 39February 2, 2024 3:54 PM

Yes, of course she did, according the script - but we took it on faith. Seeing Jenna de Waal drool over hot, lost Nicholas Christopher was more relatable. We will see about Sutton and Aaron. Will Hugh be there? Has he been spotted at Mattress?

by Anonymousreply 40February 2, 2024 4:13 PM

Considering Len Cariou bedded most of his leading ladies, from Lauren Bacall to Glynis Johns to Glenn Close to Roberta Maxwell (who was his first wife) to god knows who else, I'd say he must have had a very strong sexual magnetism.

by Anonymousreply 41February 2, 2024 4:15 PM

Come on, if you'd never seen Aaron Tveit before and watched that Insta PR video you'd think he was perfectly appropriate and thoroughly intriguing casting for Sweeney, looks-wise. I think he will surprise many of you in this role and it may just be the beginning of more adult character-y type roles for him.

by Anonymousreply 42February 2, 2024 4:18 PM

[quote]Seeing Jenna de Waal drool over hot, lost Nicholas Christopher was more relatable.

You relate to a throat slitter and his accomplice, r40? The characters aren't meant to be eye candy.

by Anonymousreply 43February 2, 2024 4:18 PM

Nothing that says that can't be, r43. And her attraction to him was always a bit of a leap of faith. But it's certainly not necessarily an invalid approach. She falls for him instantly in the script and score. I relate, r43, to being infatuated by someone who is a bad idea for dating. Who doesn't?

by Anonymousreply 44February 2, 2024 4:22 PM

[quote]And her attraction to him was always a bit of a leap of faith

It certainly wasn't for me when I saw Lansbury and Hearn, r44. Theirs isn't a great love story. They're desperate characters.

by Anonymousreply 45February 2, 2024 4:33 PM

It’s clearly a one-way, unrequited love story. Mrs. L fancies Todd, who couldn’t care less & has ‘is mind on one thing only. R-E-V-E-N-G-E

(not pussy)

by Anonymousreply 46February 2, 2024 4:53 PM

Sometimes I think this thread has juvenile or illiterate comments...but then I took a gander at the Heartstopper thread to see about Joe Locke in Sweeney. Holy mother of god. Are those screaming tweens or desperate fraus? Whichever, they make us here sound like the Vidal/Buckley debates. Look at your own risk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47February 2, 2024 5:07 PM

Wonder if Locke will be the big draw for this version rather than Tveit.

by Anonymousreply 48February 2, 2024 5:29 PM

[quote]Look at your own risk.

newp

by Anonymousreply 49February 2, 2024 5:32 PM

I just hope we get to see Aaron's thick, hairy thighs.

by Anonymousreply 50February 2, 2024 5:39 PM

My only concern about Tveit is the vocal range, but he addresses it in the interview by saying he hasn’t used that part of his voice professionally. His Billy Bigelow role in Schmigadoon suggests he can play Sweeney.

Sutton? She bombs with accents, overplays comedy, and has a limited voice. I suppose you could say all of that about Annaleigh Ashford, who I really liked. Maybe this will work.

by Anonymousreply 51February 2, 2024 5:52 PM

R32 Considering you're spending time on DL I'd hardly haughtily reproach anybody for looking for nude photos on the internet because you have better things to do with your time when it is clearly not the case.

by Anonymousreply 52February 2, 2024 5:58 PM

R41, Cariou also fucked his ALNM costar Victoria Mallory, until she ran off with Mark Lambert. Victoria also had Kurt Peterson so she must have had something good as well. Seriously, Victoria was one of the true ladies, so not surprised so many men wanted her.

by Anonymousreply 53February 2, 2024 6:05 PM

[quote] [R32] Considering you're spending time on DL I'd hardly haughtily reproach anybody for looking for nude photos on the internet because you have better things to do with your time when it is clearly not the case.

Sorry, but R32's response was funny. You have to admit the way you phrased the question begged mocking.

by Anonymousreply 54February 2, 2024 6:07 PM

I had never heard she was with Cariou also, r53, but that is a great case of life mirroring art.

by Anonymousreply 55February 2, 2024 6:14 PM

I would have thought Kurt Peterson's gay.

by Anonymousreply 56February 2, 2024 6:15 PM

R53, Victoria talks about her relationships in ALNM with Seth Rudetsky. It starts around 30:00.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57February 2, 2024 6:28 PM

Victoria and Len doing You Must Meet My Wife. Vicky was, what, 60 when she did this? It's simply remarkable how incredible she looks. Watch her cover for Len as he goes up on the lyrics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58February 2, 2024 6:31 PM

R47 That Joe locke sho is ugly!

by Anonymousreply 59February 2, 2024 7:46 PM

First preview of Doubt cancelled. Non Covid related illness in the cast. Interesting that the Father Flynn understudy in the original production is covering the same role 20 yrs later in this production.

by Anonymousreply 60February 2, 2024 8:57 PM

Nobody saw him the first time.

Liev is no Brían.

by Anonymousreply 61February 2, 2024 9:12 PM

Don’t tell the Heartstopper thread you think Joe Locke is ugly. They think he’s the most beautiful man ever born. They will come for you HARD. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 62February 2, 2024 9:14 PM

Does anybody know anything about Redwood starring Adele Dazeem at the La Jolla Playhouse? It opens in a couple weeks and I’ll be in San Diego at the end of the month. Should I get tickets?

by Anonymousreply 63February 2, 2024 10:28 PM

r62 Meh, how hard can two fraus come for anyone?

by Anonymousreply 64February 2, 2024 11:28 PM

R64 I know, right?! However the level of obsession is shocking. You almost can’t believe it’s real—they are fucking insane. If you doubt me just post a Joe Locke comment that questions his beauty. He was described on those threads as the most delicious twink EVER. They’re too nutty even for DL.

by Anonymousreply 65February 2, 2024 11:47 PM

Can’t anyone just sing a song anymore without little riffs all over the place?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 3, 2024 1:15 AM

sha la la

by Anonymousreply 67February 3, 2024 1:54 AM

Redwood is directed by Tina Landau who also give us the ghastly Transparent musical fiasco.

by Anonymousreply 68February 3, 2024 2:25 AM

All the Tic boom clips look hysterically overwrought

by Anonymousreply 69February 3, 2024 2:35 AM

I unabashedly love the score of Tick, Tick…Boom! and I thought the film adaptation was magnificent (dodging bullets here, I know) but it never works onstage as well as it does on the album(s) or the film, which filled in a lot of plot holes and made a lot of smart changes. That said, I was excited that perhaps there would be a future for this new production given some renewed interest in the material thanks to the generally quite successful film, but these clips are not giving me much hope. That “Come To Your Senses” clip is absurd with the seemingly endless melisma/riffs/affectations/etc.. Just sing the damn (and pretty damn good) song, for chrissakes!

by Anonymousreply 70February 3, 2024 3:04 AM

Where I live there is a large network of libraries. There is one copy of the Ford book in all of them and I snagged it so I'm waiting for it to be sent to my local library. Really looking forward to it. When I wanted to take out Shy I was backlisted after 100 people.

by Anonymousreply 71February 3, 2024 6:25 AM

"Indelible", R31?

Don't you mean "indecipherable"?

by Anonymousreply 72February 3, 2024 1:49 PM

You know NPH is eyeing Broadway. But with this cast, would anyone go?

by Anonymousreply 73February 3, 2024 1:49 PM

Lower your expectations, R71.

by Anonymousreply 74February 3, 2024 2:08 PM

While I have my doubts about Sutton Foster's suitability for Mrs. Lovett, she can't be any worse than the charmless bulldozing of Patti LuPone in the part or the self-absorbed, audience-fucking nightmare that was Annaleigh Ashford (more and more grotesque as the run went on).

by Anonymousreply 75February 3, 2024 2:17 PM

To be fair. LuPone had some memorable moments. The tuba and blood buckets for sure, but also the final sequence. Because of Doyle’s presentational staging, LuPone was facing downstage and unobstructed as Sweeney “pushed” her in the oven. You got to see her realize what was happening. Immensely satisfying, especially for the LuPone haters.

Ashford, I can’t defend except to say I find her genuinely goofy. The performance worked for me, especially since it lessened the acting burden on Groban.

by Anonymousreply 76February 3, 2024 2:23 PM

My memory is probably foggy on this but I seem to recall that Cerveris didn't push LuPone into the oven and instead slashed her repeatedly with his razors (after which she put the blood-stained coat on to indicate she was dead). Perhaps that was another character? In any regard, it was very effective and quite chilling.

by Anonymousreply 77February 3, 2024 2:46 PM

[quote]And, according to Tveit and Foster, it’s also a love story. “We’ve talked a lot about how this is a love story, and for the people who don’t already know Sweeney Todd, how long can we delay the inevitability of the end? How long can we instill hope for these characters?” posits Tveit.

Incredible that he actually made such a stupid remark. I guess he's pretty dim, aside from being a very limited talent. That quote almost sounds like it's from a parody interview in The Onion.

[quote]No idea how they'll do, but the love story angle doesn't seem off-base to me. She's absolutely in love with him,

We all know that Mrs. L. is in love with Sweeney. Not exactly front page news. But the idiotic thing about the Tveit quote above is the idea that the actors should try and be able to "instill hope" for the characters in the emotions of the audience.

by Anonymousreply 78February 3, 2024 3:03 PM

He’s not 100% wrong, but the language is. I don’t think the audience has hope for Lovett and Sweeney after she betrays Toby and he betrays Anthony, but the reason those moments are effective is because we all bought into the journey up to that point.

Sondheim, Wheeler, and Prince managed to somehow make these characters sympathetic for most of the show. It’s similar to The Talented Mr. Ripley, where I was jolted by actively wanting Ripley to kill the Cate Blanchett character.

by Anonymousreply 79February 3, 2024 3:11 PM

[quote]I unabashedly love the score of Tick, Tick…Boom! and I thought the film adaptation was magnificent (dodging bullets here, I know) but it never works onstage as well as it does on the album(s) or the film, which filled in a lot of plot holes and made a lot of smart changes. That said, I was excited that perhaps there would be a future for this new production given some renewed interest in the material thanks to the generally quite successful film, but these clips are not giving me much hope. That “Come To Your Senses” clip is absurd with the seemingly endless melisma/riffs/affectations/etc - .. Just sing the damn (and pretty damn good) song, for chrissakes!

I saw TTB live at the Kennedy Center. Denee Benton gave a beautiful performance of "Come to Your Senses" that stopped the show. I really do not recall any egregious "melismas/riffs/affectations" in the performance, and if they had been there, I'm sure I would have noticed, because I hate that shit. I haven't watched the clip above, but if she's riffing all over the place in that performance, I don't know what that's all about.

by Anonymousreply 80February 3, 2024 3:15 PM

[quote]Sondheim, Wheeler, and Prince managed to somehow make these characters sympathetic for most of the show.

Agreed, but to me, there is a huge difference between having sympathy for the characters and having "hope" for them. So yes, Tveit's words were poorly chosen

by Anonymousreply 81February 3, 2024 3:17 PM

That ST poster with Foster and Tveit looks like an advertisement for the annual college musical.

by Anonymousreply 82February 3, 2024 3:47 PM

[quote] Stupid….dim…idiotic

So sorry, baby. How many times did he turn down your offer to blow him at the Moulin Rouge stage door, r78?

by Anonymousreply 83February 3, 2024 4:28 PM

Has The Talented Mr. Ripley ever been musicalized?

by Anonymousreply 84February 3, 2024 6:08 PM

No, thank goodness.

by Anonymousreply 85February 3, 2024 6:58 PM

Mary Martin was a trailblazer in her own little way, openly advertising her sapphic lifestyle at a time when others remained hidden.

COMPANION magazine? Gurl!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86February 3, 2024 7:39 PM

R86. Dyke ya know

by Anonymousreply 87February 3, 2024 8:10 PM

Sweeney Todd is not a “love story.” How utterly idiotic. And Aaron Tveit’s casting is an embarrassing joke. The show will flop with them in it and quickly close.

by Anonymousreply 88February 3, 2024 8:51 PM

If the producers had really wanted it to run, they should have cast Sutton and Hugh Jackman, He couldn't sing it properly, of course, but their fans wouldn't care, especially if they treated like a Carol Burnett Show sketch and kept "accidentally" causing each other to break up.

by Anonymousreply 89February 3, 2024 8:57 PM

In a loving way, of course.

by Anonymousreply 90February 3, 2024 9:22 PM

I hope Cheyenne Jackson does the show in LA. I'm pretty sure Annaleigh would return for that.

by Anonymousreply 91February 3, 2024 9:23 PM

R89 NAILS their lack of professionalism .

by Anonymousreply 92February 3, 2024 9:24 PM

I’d rather see Lane and Broderick as Lovett and Sweeney.

by Anonymousreply 93February 3, 2024 9:24 PM

Sara Ramirez would have been inspired casting as Miss Lovett.

by Anonymousreply 94February 3, 2024 9:26 PM

Who's that gal with Mary Martin on that mag cover?

by Anonymousreply 95February 3, 2024 9:29 PM

With TJ Knight as ST!

by Anonymousreply 96February 3, 2024 9:29 PM

I think Annaleigh is tied up with a new series, Happy Face for Paramount. Earlier, I thought she and Groban might do it in London, but perhaps his concert schedule is too tight.

by Anonymousreply 97February 3, 2024 9:31 PM

r96, I thought it might be Kaye Ballard, but that would be TOO funny. It's not Janet Gaynor, is it?

by Anonymousreply 98February 3, 2024 9:32 PM

Could Josh Groban pull off Tevye?

by Anonymousreply 99February 3, 2024 9:37 PM

R95, that’s Heller Halliday, the daughter…

by Anonymousreply 100February 3, 2024 9:41 PM

Dunno r99, but he could probably finger him a bit.

by Anonymousreply 101February 3, 2024 9:41 PM

[quote]r95 Who's that gal with Mary Martin on that mag cover?

[quote]r98 I thought it might be Kaye Ballard, but that would be TOO funny. It's not Janet Gaynor, is it?

[quote]r100 That’s Heller Halliday, the daughter…

The gdamn [bold]nepo baby [/bold]you mean…

Was only in mommie’s projects.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102February 3, 2024 9:47 PM

Who you callin' a nepo baby?

by Anonymousreply 103February 3, 2024 9:58 PM

R26 I typed "Mike Doyle Nude" into my search bar, and lots of hits came up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104February 3, 2024 10:08 PM

R95 R100 that’s Gladys, sister to Henry in TSoOT. Henry was played by 🔥Don Murray—who is now dead to us. The circle of life …

by Anonymousreply 105February 3, 2024 10:14 PM

R104👏🏼 well done

by Anonymousreply 106February 3, 2024 10:15 PM

[quote]If the producers had really wanted it to run, they should have cast Sutton and Hugh Jackman, He couldn't sing it properly, of course, but their fans wouldn't care, especially if they treated like a Carol Burnett Show sketch and kept "accidentally" causing each other to break up.

Why not just get Carol Burnett and Dick Van Dyke?

by Anonymousreply 107February 3, 2024 10:20 PM

R86– that was Women’s Home Companion, aka Ladies’ Home Companion.

Legit—see cover re articles by Clare Booth Luce and Shirley Jackson(!) in that issue. Lots of general women’s mags actual published top short stories, poetry and non-fiction…back in the day. Now it’s just bullshit from People.

by Anonymousreply 108February 3, 2024 10:21 PM

R93 I’ve walked out of a Broadway show once in 40 years: Nathan and Matthew in The Odd Couple 🤮😵‍💫

by Anonymousreply 109February 3, 2024 10:23 PM

^ Boothe

sorry

by Anonymousreply 110February 3, 2024 10:27 PM

Possibly r99 or perhaps a quick knee-trembler if pushed for time.

by Anonymousreply 111February 3, 2024 10:35 PM

[quote]Their fans wouldn't care, especially if they treated like a Carol Burnett Show sketch and kept "accidentally" causing each other to break up.

I saw a clip of them doing that, and I thought it was pretty appalling, especially when I read that they had worked it into the show and were doing it at every performance. Of course, most unfortunately, NO one was going to tell them to stop, because the dumb audiences freaking loved it. Most of them, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 112February 3, 2024 10:40 PM

^^^ Sorry, I meant in THE MUSIC MAN, for anyone who didn't know what I was referencing.

by Anonymousreply 113February 3, 2024 10:47 PM

Sorry your ass

by Anonymousreply 114February 3, 2024 10:49 PM

[quote]that’s Gladys, sister to Henry in TSoOT.

Everyone loves TSoOT!

by Anonymousreply 115February 3, 2024 11:24 PM

Sutton Foster LOVES inserting Mama’s Family sketch work into her musical roles. It’s the only thing that makes sense when looking at her body of “work”

by Anonymousreply 116February 4, 2024 12:07 AM

But, r115, not everyone loves TPOS.

by Anonymousreply 117February 4, 2024 12:38 AM

Poor Borle. Still bitter. Still ugly.

by Anonymousreply 118February 4, 2024 12:43 AM

R118. No pictures of him in drag from SLIH?

by Anonymousreply 119February 4, 2024 12:55 AM

Since Chita is now gone and Paul Ford is a topic in this thread, he has some interesting stories about her in his memoir; dor My Favorite Broadway: The Leading Ladies concert back in 1998 or whenever, DL icon Karen Ziemba and Chita were set to perform “Nowadays/Hot Honey Rag” and apparently Karen “bullied” Chita to do the Chicago revival choreography (since that’s what she knew) and Chita insisted on doing Fosse’s original only so after the first rehearsal Chita quit and a last minute beg was made to Bebe Neuwirth who ended up doing it in the show/PBS Special.

by Anonymousreply 120February 4, 2024 1:13 AM

[quote]r But, [R115], not everyone loves TPOS

Nonsense . Everyone lives Topol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121February 4, 2024 1:24 AM

R120. If anyone should have been replaced it's teeny titties, not Chits. And I cannot imagine Chita walking out. She wasn't a quitter.

by Anonymousreply 122February 4, 2024 1:49 AM

R120 I remember reading that Ann asked permission from Gwen Verdon to use Fosse’s original choreography for Hot Honey Rag in the Encores production. Maybe the conflict was about new choreography for Nowadays?

by Anonymousreply 123February 4, 2024 2:35 AM

[Quote] Lots of general women’s mags actual published top short stories, poetry and non-fiction

You don’t say

by Anonymousreply 124February 4, 2024 2:53 AM

I did say…and I wrote it as well.

by Anonymousreply 125February 4, 2024 2:55 AM

R120 Karen is always a car wash cunt.

by Anonymousreply 126February 4, 2024 3:07 AM

If Sutton and Aaron sell well, I suppose there's a possibility of the production continuing beyond their run. Are there any big names you could imagine handling Sweeney and Lovett well AND selling tickets? I have a feeling we'll never see in a Broadway production again, but Toni Collette could be an incredible Mrs. L.

by Anonymousreply 127February 4, 2024 3:26 AM

Norm Lewis. Brian D’Arcy James. Josh Henry. Steven Pasquale. Maybe Raul Esparza. Maybe Alan Cumming.

Carolee Carmello. Jennifer Simard. Audra. Maybe Laura Benanti.

But these are mostly theater names. I don’t know how Groban powered those ticket sales, but he did, and replicating that is a huge challenge.

by Anonymousreply 128February 4, 2024 3:38 AM

Chita was only invited to do Hot Honey Rag? Not America or All That Jazz? There were few women in that show who had a bigger name. I don't believe the story. Aside from the Chicago Medley, Ziemba also did I Wanna be a Rockette.

by Anonymousreply 129February 4, 2024 3:39 AM

R128 - interesting list! I think, perhaps with the exception of Audra, any of those actors would have to be paired with a bigger name actor in the other role to sustain Groban-level sales. Can't imagine Alan Cumming handling the vocal requirements of the role, though.

by Anonymousreply 130February 4, 2024 3:41 AM

Sutton Foster LOVES inserting Mama’s Family sketch work into her musical roles. It’s the only thing that makes sense when looking at her body of “work”

By the way, has anyone who has reviewed ONCE UPON A MATTRESS mentioned that someone inserted that MTM line referring to Chuckles the Clown into the MATTRESS script? "A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down his pants." And no, I'm not kidding.

by Anonymousreply 131February 4, 2024 3:51 AM

^^^ Sorry again, that was supposed to be:

[quote]Sutton Foster LOVES inserting Mama’s Family sketch work into her musical roles. It’s the only thing that makes sense when looking at her body of “work”

By the way, has anyone who has reviewed ONCE UPON A MATTRESS mentioned that someone inserted that MTM line referring to Chuckles the Clown into the MATTRESS script? "A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down his pants." And no, I'm not kidding.

by Anonymousreply 132February 4, 2024 4:00 AM

We will brook NO Karen Ziemba disrespect!

by Anonymousreply 133February 4, 2024 4:08 AM

I'll disrespect KZ. I sat through Steel Pier.

by Anonymousreply 134February 4, 2024 4:38 AM

[quote] Karen “bullied” Chita to do the Chicago revival choreography (since that’s what she knew) and Chita insisted on doing Fosse’s original only

Except there’s only one slight difference between the original Fosse “Hot Honey” and the version Reinking recreated for Encores

by Anonymousreply 135February 4, 2024 4:43 AM

It's also wrong because Chita did the revised choreography in Vegas. So complete bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 136February 4, 2024 5:18 AM

It's hard to imagine Chita being "bullied," and especially not by Karen Ziemba.

by Anonymousreply 137February 4, 2024 7:53 AM

R137, I am only repeating what Paul Ford says in his memoir, but he also has a whole chapter on Steel Pier and gives Debra Monk respect for her artistry and somewhat Kristin Chenoweth. I, myself, wasn’t there for these things but apparently everyone here is too cheap to buy his book or audiobook so you get what you give since I guess I’m the only one who has it… and certainly “theatre gossip” in any event, either way. You can get it all for free on audible with a membership. FYI!

by Anonymousreply 138February 4, 2024 9:17 AM

PS Ford also discusses the “disastrous” KZ Rockette song and Liza having to be post-dubbed since her “Some People” was judged not suitable for broadcast.

by Anonymousreply 139February 4, 2024 9:27 AM

I do think Paul is telling the truth because the Liza song was clearly shot/dubbed a couple times. It looks like a stand alone piece when u watch the concert like they wheeled her out and wheeled her back.

by Anonymousreply 140February 4, 2024 12:35 PM

Hearing Isabel Keating gave a smashing performance going on in a preview for DOUBT. She's the standby for Tyne Daly. Must be a great feeling to go on for a star actor the audience was paying to see and kill it. Someone told me once that when an understudy goes on for a major name, the actor undertsudying the role can hear the audience groan when the announcement is made.

by Anonymousreply 141February 4, 2024 12:44 PM

[quote] I don’t think the audience has hope for Lovett and Sweeney after she betrays Toby and he betrays Anthony

Surely the death knell for Mrs Lovett is that Sweeney realizes she knew who the Beggar Woman was, failed to share because of her "love" for Sweeney, and thus allowed him to become his true love's doom.

by Anonymousreply 142February 4, 2024 1:02 PM

Well, yes.

by Anonymousreply 143February 4, 2024 1:27 PM

The Aladdin marquee on 42nd Street says “more than Broadway. Disney On Broadway. What an arrogant prick message from a controlling force in the Broadway Leagur that is supposed to be promoting Broadway as a brand to then turn around and diminish it.

by Anonymousreply 144February 4, 2024 1:36 PM

R141. Not surprised. Isabel Keating is an amazing actress and they're lucky to have her standing by.

by Anonymousreply 145February 4, 2024 1:37 PM

I adore Isabel Keating and I hope this understudy gig publicity leads her to great role on Broadway of her own.

She's an interesting choice for that nun. While I can easily imagine what Tyne would do with the part - so easily, I have no interest in seeing her do it - Isabel would undoubtedly (no pun intended) surprise me.

by Anonymousreply 146February 4, 2024 1:46 PM

Tyne Daly works as a nun because you believe she hasn’t had sex since season two of Cagney and Lacey.

by Anonymousreply 147February 4, 2024 2:00 PM

Clever

by Anonymousreply 148February 4, 2024 4:33 PM

[quote]If Sutton and Aaron sell well, I suppose there's a possibility of the production continuing beyond their run. Are there any big names you could imagine handling Sweeney and Lovett well AND selling tickets? I have a feeling we'll never see in a Broadway production again, but Toni Collette could be an incredible Mrs. L.

It could be like the stunt casting of "Chicago." Up next: Ryan Gosling is Sweeney and Margot Robbie is Mrs. Lovett! Taylor Swift is Mrs. Lovett and Travis Kelce is Sweeney! Andy Cohen is Sweeney and Nene Leakes is Mrs. Lovett!

by Anonymousreply 149February 4, 2024 4:48 PM

Isabel is an astonishing and intelligent actor, and a genuine, warm, decent person. If a triumph in DOUBT rescues her from ever having to do the likes of A SHERLOCK CAROL ever, ever again in her career, justice will have been served.

by Anonymousreply 150February 4, 2024 4:50 PM

The reason Mrs. Lovett dies is obviously because she lied to Sweeney, which led him to kill his own wife. But she crosses a line with the audience’s sympathy when it’s clear she will sacrifice Toby for Sweeney. It’s not a coincidence that her scene with Toby comes immediately after Sweeney writes his letter to the judge betraying Anthony. The show shifts gears at that point, which is something the current revival demonstrates particularly well with a major scenic change.

by Anonymousreply 151February 4, 2024 4:53 PM

⬆️ Spoiler alert. 🚨

by Anonymousreply 152February 4, 2024 4:56 PM

Seriously? For a 45 year old musical?

by Anonymousreply 153February 4, 2024 5:04 PM

Isabel/Judy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154February 4, 2024 5:06 PM

For future Sweeney casting? Easy. Kelly and Mark.

by Anonymousreply 155February 4, 2024 5:23 PM

Sara Ramirez IS They/Them Todd!

by Anonymousreply 156February 4, 2024 5:34 PM

Sweeney 2025: George Santos and Marjorie Taylor Greene

by Anonymousreply 157February 4, 2024 5:36 PM

I’d love to see Michael C. Hall give a crack at playing Seeeney. He has a lovely voice and wonderful stage presence, plus he’s famously played one of the most famous serial killers in TV history.

by Anonymousreply 158February 4, 2024 5:50 PM

Great idea, R158! And perhaps he could hook his former costar Toni Collette (THE REALISTIC JONESES) in for the Mrs. Lovett so many of us have yearned to have for so long.

by Anonymousreply 159February 4, 2024 8:25 PM

Love this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160February 4, 2024 8:26 PM

I’m surprised Lea Salonga wasn’t considered since she got such strong reviews for her Lovett in Old Friends in London. Plus she displayed a gorgeous temperament. It’s not easy to be the second leading lady when the first leading lady is BELOVED and gets the best songs.

by Anonymousreply 161February 4, 2024 8:27 PM

I’m not sure playing a Bronx nun is right for Lea.

by Anonymousreply 162February 4, 2024 8:34 PM

Some Like It Hot just won Best Musical Theater Album at the Grammys.

by Anonymousreply 163February 4, 2024 10:05 PM

So we’re supposed to believe that Sweeney doesn’t recognize who the Beggar Woman is? Did she get plastic surgery?

by Anonymousreply 164February 4, 2024 10:34 PM

What was Donna Murphy’s reaction when she got the role in Passion and found out she was playing the ugly one? Did Sondheim have to tell her?

by Anonymousreply 165February 4, 2024 11:04 PM

I'm assuming her reaction was something like "Fuck, Yeah! I smell Tony!" ...Really, r165, keep your Clara.

by Anonymousreply 166February 4, 2024 11:38 PM

Aw, Chits.

by Anonymousreply 167February 4, 2024 11:58 PM

R149, although it sounds funny to mention Nene Leakes as a replacement, she's already been in two shows -- Chicago and Cinderella.

Maybe not a top level performer, but that's two more Broadway musicals than I have been in, and I suspect two more than you have been in.

by Anonymousreply 168February 5, 2024 1:22 AM

So J. Harrison Ghee, a middling "entertainer" we'll likely hear very little from going forward, is now halfway to an EGOT.

by Anonymousreply 169February 5, 2024 1:59 AM

I think they’re starring in Midnight in Garden of Good and Evil

by Anonymousreply 170February 5, 2024 2:25 AM

Well, it looks like Miss High & Mighty Thespian Teacher, Uta Hagen, had to rely on the commercial advertising business to pay her rent. It makes Stanislavsky weep!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171February 5, 2024 2:31 AM

Hey, so Uta pushed Blatz, who am I to judge?

by Anonymousreply 172February 5, 2024 2:43 AM

I'm more surprised anyone would think Uta had a fan base that drank beer.

Or a fan base.

by Anonymousreply 173February 5, 2024 2:44 AM

Blatz beer is a is a real blast from the past. Do they still make it?

by Anonymousreply 174February 5, 2024 2:47 AM

Uta had just divorced Jose Ferrar and she had a kid to support. Regular Mildred Pierce she was.

by Anonymousreply 175February 5, 2024 2:49 AM

An Actor Prepares (and drinks Blatz).

by Anonymousreply 176February 5, 2024 3:11 AM

Respect for Drinking

by Anonymousreply 177February 5, 2024 3:13 AM

Ghee is not an engaging performer.

by Anonymousreply 178February 5, 2024 3:22 AM

Hey...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179February 5, 2024 3:24 AM

[quote] Ghee is not an engaging performer.

What did you expect from someone who takes their stage name from clarified butter?

by Anonymousreply 180February 5, 2024 3:28 AM

SOME LIKE MY TWAT

by Anonymousreply 181February 5, 2024 3:48 AM

Feud 3: Uta vs Stella: Showdown at the Moscow Art Theatre.

by Anonymousreply 182February 5, 2024 3:51 AM

Apparently Tyne's understudy had a last minute, one-day rehearsal to prepare to go on as understudy rehearsals weren't going to start until they were in previews. Even more impressive!

by Anonymousreply 183February 5, 2024 4:31 AM

Milwaukee good-time girl Uta was clearly the inspirational for Laverne DeFazio, and Blatz for Shotz.

by Anonymousreply 184February 5, 2024 6:17 AM

Not to beat that same drum, but yes Paul Ford recounts in his book that he rehearsed all of the prospective Mrs. Lovetts for the film of Sweeney Todd, with Tim Burton himself in the room; certainly, any of them were better than the ultimate choice, sadly. That said, it was: lBernadette Peters, Toni Collette, Reese Witherspoon, Geena Davis and Cyndi Lauper.

by Anonymousreply 185February 5, 2024 8:37 AM

R185 it was also between Cyndi Lauper and Patti LuPone for the revival in 2006 and LuPone got cast at the last minute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186February 5, 2024 12:05 PM

Why did they go though the sham of rehearsing "potential" Lovetts when he was going to cast his partner all along anyway.

by Anonymousreply 187February 5, 2024 1:18 PM

[quote] Apparently Tyne's understudy had a last minute, one-day rehearsal to prepare to go on as understudy rehearsals weren't going to start until they were in previews. Even more impressive!

I'ts not at all uncommon for Tony nominated or Tony winning actors or in some cases, a Tony winning actor to take a standby job, but what is so appalling to me is how someone can give an excellent performance on Broadway and not have that really mean something in terms of their career. Especially with theaters like MTC who do everything possible to engage stars and still retain a non-profit status. My partner was very close friends with a (now deceased) casting director who was quite well known and was as influential as a casting director can get. This person told us they were retiring because the business changed in the 80s and all the power was with accountants and shareholders. They felt advocating for talent was getting harder and harder, so they just retired. The quote I remember was " Dustin Hoffman would never have become a star today (this was mid 90s) and Meryl Streep would never have become the star she is today because the "basis of her career" was she was a "brilliant theater actress" The casting director went on to say many casting people don't go to the theater the way they used to. She said a producer once said to her when she suggested Streep for something " She's unfuckable, no sexual energy" Is it even possible to have a Broadway career without Hollywood stardom?

by Anonymousreply 188February 5, 2024 1:48 PM

Is Tyne’s medical condition serious?

by Anonymousreply 189February 5, 2024 1:55 PM

[quote]Is it even possible to have a Broadway career without Hollywood stardom?

Why don't you ask Patti?

by Anonymousreply 190February 5, 2024 2:06 PM

Remember when she showed her miserable tits in “Summer of Sam”? The notion of that woman nude is scarier than that of a fully clothed Berkowitz.

by Anonymousreply 191February 5, 2024 2:27 PM

I hope Chip Zien wins a Tony this year. The man is a gift to every show he's in.

by Anonymousreply 192February 5, 2024 2:32 PM

R191, How about when she was taking it from behind on a stairway in the “Hollywood” series?

by Anonymousreply 193February 5, 2024 2:34 PM

R192 . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194February 5, 2024 2:36 PM

The question now is how to market The Connector for a Broadway audience. This may turn out to be a musical that's too smart for Broadway because it requires you to pay attention and think. Daisy Prince has outdone herself.

by Anonymousreply 195February 5, 2024 2:59 PM

Uta Hagen-Daas.

by Anonymousreply 196February 5, 2024 3:52 PM

I’m sure all the ice cream money came in handy when the acting work dried up.

by Anonymousreply 197February 5, 2024 4:31 PM

Yeah, but could she make ‘em laugh?

by Anonymousreply 198February 5, 2024 4:33 PM

I'm not one of the Theatre Gossip thread regulars, so I hope you'll forgive me for interloping. Just wanted to say the thread title reminded me of how hard the Fake MLOP troll used to make me laugh in the old days of DL. Hope that person is still here and doing well.

by Anonymousreply 199February 5, 2024 4:35 PM

Isn’t Daisy Prince the queen of nepo babies?

by Anonymousreply 200February 5, 2024 4:47 PM

Excuse me, R200?

by Anonymousreply 201February 5, 2024 5:28 PM

[quote] This may turn out to be a musical that's too smart for Broadway because it requires you to pay attention and think.

It made me think how amazing it is that JRB can still get his musicals produced despite never having a single financial success.

by Anonymousreply 202February 5, 2024 5:29 PM

It must be because of his classic good looks.

by Anonymousreply 203February 5, 2024 5:33 PM

[quote]Ghee is not an engaging performer.

And he always seems to be missing shows for one reason or another, whether scheduled absences or not.

by Anonymousreply 204February 5, 2024 6:15 PM

The VERY wealthy queen of Nepo babies...

by Anonymousreply 205February 5, 2024 6:15 PM

So now when a cast album wins a Tony it's considered a personal win for everyone on the album and they can be called Grammy Winners? Really?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206February 5, 2024 6:23 PM

R206: As it currently stands, it goes to the composer and lyricist (as long as a previous recording of the score was never nominated in the category), the album producer(s), and the principal soloists. The number of principal soloists allowed per cast album is currently capped at four.

For Some Like It Hot, the four principal soloists were Christian Borle, J. Harrison Ghee, Adrianna Hicks, and NaTasha Yvette Williams. So they all won a Grammy last night.

by Anonymousreply 207February 5, 2024 6:35 PM

Rehearsal video (no audio )of Aaron and Sutton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208February 5, 2024 7:16 PM

[quote]no audio

Shades of Beanie in the pre-opening Funny Girl promos

by Anonymousreply 209February 5, 2024 7:43 PM

In stunt casting news which would even the Weisslers would side-eye, Cara Delevingne will be the next Sally Bowles in London.

by Anonymousreply 210February 5, 2024 8:45 PM

R205 not in the real world. It’s just as bad as when any “producer” winning a Tony tries to latch onto an EGOT otherwise related to performance.

A little consistency is called for, but in the age of social media rational voices are drowned out.

by Anonymousreply 211February 5, 2024 8:52 PM

R210. As Fran and Barry will tell you, stunt casting sometimes pays off handsomely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212February 5, 2024 9:18 PM

[quote] Ghee is not an engaging performer.

I didn't see :"Some Like It Hot" but I did see his version of "Knock me over with a feather" online. It's a pleasant enough voice but unremarkable. Was Ghee much more compelling on stage? Sometimes things onstage don't translate. Again, it wasn't bad, just not remakable. Did they give Ghee the Tony for his performance or for his life's journey?

by Anonymousreply 213February 5, 2024 10:39 PM

I didn’t like the show at all, but Ghee has a lot of presence. The height and almost stoic approach made the character more watchable than everyone else onstage who were all trying way too hard. I didn’t see Colton Ryan, but I don’t think any of the other nominees had a much stronger claim to the Tony.

by Anonymousreply 214February 5, 2024 10:59 PM

Come to think of it, I guess it makes sense that at least some of the vocalists on a cast album should be considered winners when the album wins a Grammy, but the big question is, where do you draw the line? And I'm sure many people would disagree on that point.

by Anonymousreply 215February 5, 2024 10:59 PM

[quote]Is Tyne’s medical condition serious?

Prostate cancer.

by Anonymousreply 216February 5, 2024 11:00 PM

Get in line!!

by Anonymousreply 217February 5, 2024 11:08 PM

r210 - honestly, can see it. I could see her doing very well in this production of Cabaret. Whether she has the chops for stage work, I have no idea, though, but she definitely feels like a Sally B.

by Anonymousreply 218February 5, 2024 11:09 PM

No R213 he was just another 14th street Tranny stomping around trying to be fabulous. Glad I had a free ticket. It closed early for good reason.

by Anonymousreply 219February 5, 2024 11:17 PM

I wonder if Sutton will be directed to copy some of what Annaleigh did. They might not suit her as well.

by Anonymousreply 220February 5, 2024 11:57 PM

R220, did Sutton really get over to the audiences in Mattress? I've seen several YT bows and the audiences are enthusiastic but nowhere near as much as I expected judging from the press.

by Anonymousreply 221February 5, 2024 11:59 PM

the night I saw Mattress the crowd went Wild, and she deserved the love.

by Anonymousreply 222February 6, 2024 12:35 AM

Ghee was so remarkably underwhelming in Some Like It Hot that it really undermined whatever woke message they were going for.

Borle was a joy (and I’m not a fan).

Natasha Yvette Williams Was terrific.

Kevin del Aqua gave a performances that was every bit as understated as it was over the top. He was a daffy joy.

The chorus was on fire, particularly when dancing. The book was very, very funny. The score, less than memorable (save for the title song and the mariposa song — I was underwhelmed by “Feather”).

Adriana Hicks (whose name I had to look up, that’s how unmemorable she was) was a non-entity. And what’s SLIH without Sugar? I was too bored to cry. She just didn’t register.

The show was, overall, quite good, if uneven. The Shubert was too big for it.

But the buzz around Ghee, I didn’t get. Yes, it’s terrific that folks are cast, binary or not. But if they’re dull? Not such good news. Quite the opposite. I wanted to root for Ghee, but he walked through it. Lazy, indifferent, and all I could think was “there are 30 performers within half-a-mile that could have done it better. You can hear Ghee’s near-indifference and lack of performance on the cast recording.

I’d have given the Tony to Groban. Ghee’s is a wildly undeserved Tony.

by Anonymousreply 223February 6, 2024 12:58 AM

Poor Max von Essen, plugged into CHICAGO as a replacement Billy Flynn......

by Anonymousreply 224February 6, 2024 1:01 AM

Sutton Foster is as interesting as dirty dishwater.

by Anonymousreply 225February 6, 2024 1:22 AM

With a reality ho!

by Anonymousreply 226February 6, 2024 1:25 AM

[quote] Poor Max von Essen, plugged

Max von Essen got plugged by some of Broadway’s best.

by Anonymousreply 227February 6, 2024 1:28 AM

[Quote] Adriana Hicks (whose name I had to look up, that’s how unmemorable she was) was a non-entity. And what’s SLIH without Sugar? I was too bored to cry. She just didn’t register.

They didn’t write her part. She was only a theory. They had no idea what to do with lead female character and any ideas for that they gave to Ghee

by Anonymousreply 228February 6, 2024 1:59 AM

Yeah, I really wouldn't blame Adrianna Hicks. There was no role there.

SLIH was a misbegotten hot mess. Well, not even hot, more luke warm.

by Anonymousreply 229February 6, 2024 2:23 AM

Ghee was terribly miscast in SOME LIKE IT HOT, and not only because of his height, although that was a major part of it. His actual performance was no more than adequate, because he doesn't have the comic chops for that kind of show. His Tony Award was undeserved. And now he seems to have an established career based on that Tony -- so much so that he got away with missing a LOT of performances of SLIH for whatever reasons, AND three performances of MATTRESS for a previous commitment, incredible as that may be.

by Anonymousreply 230February 6, 2024 3:23 AM

Agreed, R228 and R229. I'm amazed SLIH lasted as long as it did, though according to rumor it was kept afloat by huge loans, for whatever reasons. If that's true, obviously somebody has to pay back all of that money.

by Anonymousreply 231February 6, 2024 3:30 AM

“AND three performances of MATTRESS for a previous commitment”

Was it a wedding?

by Anonymousreply 232February 6, 2024 3:30 AM

Zachary Quinto and Matt Bomer attended Carnegie Mellon University together.

Do you think they ever . . .?

by Anonymousreply 233February 6, 2024 3:50 AM

[quote]Kevin del Aqua

Oh, DEAR.

by Anonymousreply 234February 6, 2024 4:03 AM

I'm taking my young nieces to see Chicago next Sunday (they're fans of the woman from Vanderpump) and just tonight I noticed Max von Essen is playing Billy Flynn and I was glad.

But now I see that some here don't think that's a good fit for the part. Can anyone elaborate?

by Anonymousreply 235February 6, 2024 5:26 AM

Ghee played Velma in Chicago at The Muny and I would not be surprised if Fran and Barry try and get him for the Broadway company.

by Anonymousreply 236February 6, 2024 8:27 AM

The thought of seeing Max Von Essen's ass in a tight suit almost makes me want to see CHICAGO again.

Almost.

by Anonymousreply 237February 6, 2024 11:42 AM

And it's very tight.

by Anonymousreply 238February 6, 2024 12:01 PM

Punchbowl News reports that Mitch McConnell has once again caved to Trump:

"The Senate’s $118 billion bipartisan border security supplemental stunningly unraveled Monday less than 24 hours after it was released, with top Republicans reversing their previous positions and indicating they’ll block the measure from advancing for the time being.

This wave of opposition prompted McConnell to recommend to Republicans behind closed doors Monday night that they vote against cloture on the motion to proceed to the bill this week, according to multiple attendees — effectively halting the effort in its tracks and throwing new aid to Ukraine into serious jeopardy.

McConnell, according to attendees, said his view was that the problem isn’t the bill itself but that the political mood in the country has shifted since the Senate first began this effort four months ago."

by Anonymousreply 239February 6, 2024 12:22 PM

R239 wrong thread, dear

by Anonymousreply 240February 6, 2024 12:23 PM

Certainly is, my apologies.

by Anonymousreply 241February 6, 2024 12:25 PM

[quote] But now I see that some here don't think that's a good fit for the part.

R235 You misunderstood or misread my comment at R224.

I didn't say he was a bad fit for the part. I was surprised he wasn't in a more prestigious role. Being in Chicago at this stage of the game seems like only a step or so above being in a tour company. It was actually a compliment to Max.....because I thought he'd be starring in something more tailored to him.

by Anonymousreply 242February 6, 2024 12:25 PM

Max Von Essen’s ass hasn’t been tight for at least fifteen years.

by Anonymousreply 243February 6, 2024 12:35 PM

R243 - Max Clayton, understudy for Mr Von Essen

by Anonymousreply 244February 6, 2024 1:00 PM

Whatever happened to Max’s one time partner who went nuts and left social media for a time?

by Anonymousreply 245February 6, 2024 1:47 PM

Are there nudes of Max?

by Anonymousreply 246February 6, 2024 1:56 PM

[quote] Are there nudes of Max?

Cell phones weren’t invented at the time Max was a desirable bottom.

by Anonymousreply 247February 6, 2024 2:02 PM

And Matthew Brady was not a theatre fan, R247.

by Anonymousreply 248February 6, 2024 2:22 PM

Is it true Matthew Brady took Joan Collins’ first head shots?

by Anonymousreply 249February 6, 2024 2:23 PM

And I wrote her first play.

by Anonymousreply 250February 6, 2024 2:34 PM

Which Max are we talking about?

by Anonymousreply 251February 6, 2024 2:53 PM

Mitch McConnell IS Sweeney Todd!

Elaine Cho IS Mrs. Lovett!

by Anonymousreply 252February 6, 2024 3:40 PM

TJ, r251.

by Anonymousreply 253February 6, 2024 3:41 PM

Elaine as the Beggar Woman is better casting.

by Anonymousreply 254February 6, 2024 4:50 PM

^ r254 Stritch too!

by Anonymousreply 255February 6, 2024 5:20 PM

^Joyce!

by Anonymousreply 256February 6, 2024 5:44 PM

[quote]Wonder if Locke will be the big draw for this version rather than Tveit.

His presence didn't have an impact on the grosses this past week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257February 6, 2024 6:03 PM

"Donald Trump’s expected massive loss to the New York Attorney General in his bank fraud case suddenly took a turn for the worse on Tuesday, when lies that his longtime company accountant apparently told on the stand potentially opened the door for an even more devastating multi-million dollar judgment that could destroy the Trump Organization.

In an email to the AG and Trump defense team on Monday, Justice Arthur F. Engoron asked for both sides to respond to the news that former Trump Organization chief financial officer Allen Weisselberg is secretly negotiating a guilty plea with another law enforcement agency: the Manhattan District Attorney."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258February 6, 2024 6:13 PM

Are you under the influence, r258?

by Anonymousreply 259February 6, 2024 6:16 PM

Sorry, I have to delete either Theatre Gossip or Treason Thread from my thread-watcher, I obviously can't distinguish between them at a glance.

by Anonymousreply 260February 6, 2024 6:19 PM

R260, Cataracts can be a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 261February 6, 2024 6:53 PM

[quote]And I wrote her first play.—Clyde Fitch

Like hell you did, bitch !

by Anonymousreply 262February 6, 2024 7:03 PM

Does anyone know if Tyne Daly is back in Doubt yet?

by Anonymousreply 263February 6, 2024 7:10 PM

Broadway will dim its lights for Chita on February 17th.

by Anonymousreply 264February 6, 2024 7:14 PM

Link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265February 6, 2024 7:16 PM

[quote] His presence didn't have an impact on the grosses this past week.

Well Sweeney went up $81K while the two leads are still played by understudies. Low average ticket price, but one of only four shows that had an attendance increase.

by Anonymousreply 266February 6, 2024 7:26 PM

[quote]r164 So we’re supposed to believe that Sweeney doesn’t recognize who the Beggar Woman is? Did she get plastic surgery?

You may be underestimating how years of sleeping under a newspaper on the grimy streets of Victorian London, how being a crazy hag picking bones and rotten spuds out of alley ashcans, can weather one’s complexion.

by Anonymousreply 267February 6, 2024 8:34 PM

[quote]R168 Maybe not a top level performer, but that's two more Broadway musicals than I have been in, and I suspect two more than you have been in.

I’m [italic]big boned!

by Anonymousreply 268February 6, 2024 8:36 PM

Broadway is dimming the lights for Tyne Daly as well. She didn’t die…but it seemed like the right decision

by Anonymousreply 269February 6, 2024 8:39 PM

Chits should get the lights dimmed for 2 minutes. One for each one of her Tonys.

by Anonymousreply 270February 6, 2024 8:44 PM

[quote]r185 Paul Ford recounts in his book that he rehearsed all of the prospective Mrs. Lovetts for the film of Sweeney Todd… it was: lBernadette Peters, Toni Collette, Reese Witherspoon, Geena Davis and Cyndi Lauper.

[quote]R187 Why did they go though the sham of rehearsing "potential" Lovetts when he was going to cast his partner all along anyway. I heard she used her own clothes in the movie

Bonham Carter was just a pathetic choice. Mainly her “singing” (tho it might have been better than Reese Witherspoon??) Toni Colette was obviously the best option.

What does Mr. Ford say about the various candidates’ voices?

by Anonymousreply 271February 6, 2024 8:46 PM

[quote] You may be underestimating how years of sleeping under a newspaper on the grimy streets of Victorian London, how being a crazy hag picking bones and rotten spuds out of alley ashcans, can weather one’s complexion.

I recently went to my 40th high school reunion. I neither had sex with nor had children with any of those people. I’m only Facebook friends with three of them, the rest I hadn’t seen in 40 years.I remembered the ones that I had daily classes with.

I’m not buying that part of the story.

by Anonymousreply 272February 6, 2024 8:55 PM

[quote]I heard she used her own clothes in the movie

Well then, it was nice of her to donate this frock to the Hollywood Museum. Of course it's no Ruta Lee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273February 6, 2024 9:02 PM

[quote]Elaine as the Beggar Woman is better casting.

Mitch as Sweeney's fifteenth customer seems about right to me.

by Anonymousreply 274February 6, 2024 9:10 PM

I see his throat slit, r274, but I see no blood forthcoming.

by Anonymousreply 275February 6, 2024 9:13 PM

We are thrilled to welcome Academy Award and two-time Tony nominee Amy Ryan to the company of DOUBT: A PARABLE, who begins performances next Tuesday, February 13. Until then, Tony nominee Isabel Keating will play the part of Sister Aloysius.

Tyne Daly was unexpectedly hospitalized on Friday and unfortunately needs to withdraw from the production while she receives medical care; she is thankfully expected to make a full recovery. “With respect and admiration for Tyne, we wish her the best and a quick recovery. We are grateful that Amy Ryan said yes – in a quick minute – to join our company and take on the role of ‘Sister Aloysius.’ We deeply appreciate Isabel Keating, who remarkably stepped in with a day of rehearsal and allowed us to get the production up on its feet during this first week of performances,” says director Scott Ellis.

by Anonymousreply 276February 6, 2024 9:15 PM

It's Carol and Fade Out/Fade In all over again.

by Anonymousreply 277February 6, 2024 9:17 PM

They should have kept Keating in the part. She'd sell as many tickets as Amy Ryan.

by Anonymousreply 278February 6, 2024 9:22 PM

R278, Irene Ryan would have sold more tickets than Amy Ryan.

by Anonymousreply 279February 6, 2024 9:40 PM

[quote]So we’re supposed to believe that Sweeney doesn’t recognize who the Beggar Woman is?

I can understand that, but I've always had trouble with the fact that neither the Judge nor the Beadle recognize Sweeney. Wheeler/Sondheim try to paste it over with Sweeney's comment that "the years no doubt have changed me; but then, the face of a barber, the face of a prisoner in the dock, is not particularly memorable" but it's not enough. Because Benjamin Barker [italic]wasn't[/italic] just the face of a prisoner. He was the man that the Judge actively conspired to condemn and transport for life, in order to steal his wife. Hell, the Judge is still raising his daughter. And now, on top of everything, "Sweeney Todd" is practicing the exact same profession in the exact same location as Benjamin Barker. That's a shit-ton more memorable than being just "a face in the dock".

I know, 'suspension of disbelief' and all that. But still, it irks me.

by Anonymousreply 280February 6, 2024 9:49 PM

[quote]They should have kept Keating in the part. She'd sell as many tickets as Amy Ryan.

I wish Tyne a speedy recovery. She's really a very nice woman, an outstanding actress and a very easy person to deal with. I suspect MTC bungled this situation owing to adherence to the same fucked up mentality that holds them back artistically over and over again: Star fucking. MTC's obsession with getting as many "names" as they can most likely led them to draw up a list of ungettable big names, ALL of whom passed the unenviable opportunity to take over a complicated lead role in an extremely truncated period of time. What I imagine happen is that one of the agents for those big names also reps Amy Ryan and so she was suggested, she was game and the rest is history. My guess is the first call was to Cherry Jones and I guess she turned it down. So they had Isabel Keating already playing the role and to most tri state theater goers, Isabel is no less a draw than Amy Ryan. Both are wonderful actresses, and I assume the praise filled reports of Isabel's performance are accurate, why the hell not just give her the role. When you think of this role, first played by Cherry and then Meryl in the movie, do you think of Amy Ryan? Does MTC think anything of possibly insulting an excellent actress like Isabel who saved their ass in previews by bringing in Amy Ryan? I mean, if Meryl or Glenn or Cherry Jones had said yes then of course, she'd understand. WTF is wrong with them?

by Anonymousreply 281February 6, 2024 9:53 PM

R281, I wonder if they contacted Meryl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282February 6, 2024 10:00 PM

I GUARANTEE you they contacted Meryl.

by Anonymousreply 283February 6, 2024 10:07 PM

Roundabout!

by Anonymousreply 284February 6, 2024 10:07 PM

[quote]I know, 'suspension of disbelief' and all that. But still, it irks me.

It's a penny dreadful, r280, not a documentary.

by Anonymousreply 285February 6, 2024 10:11 PM

[quote]Elaine as the Beggar Woman is better casting.

Elaine Joyce?

by Anonymousreply 286February 6, 2024 10:13 PM

Thank you, r285. Was about to say the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 287February 6, 2024 10:20 PM

[quote]I know, 'suspension of disbelief' and all that. But still, it irks me.

Perhaps, if you look deep within, you will find the strength to shoulder on.

by Anonymousreply 288February 6, 2024 10:29 PM

[quote]So we’re supposed to believe that Sweeney doesn’t recognize who the Beggar Woman is? Did she get plastic surgery?

In staging any production of SWEENEY TODD, it's essential to make it clear that Sweeney never gets a good, close look at the Beggar Woman until that moment in the bake house, after he has killed her, when he realizes the truth.

by Anonymousreply 289February 6, 2024 10:37 PM

No one looks at the homeless. That’s part of the point

by Anonymousreply 290February 6, 2024 10:50 PM

It’s Megan Mullally and Lips Together, Teeth Apart all over again.

by Anonymousreply 291February 6, 2024 10:52 PM

It's SushuGate all over again.

by Anonymousreply 292February 6, 2024 10:53 PM

The great post @ R281 is sort of ruined by their inability to distinguish MTC from Roundabout.

by Anonymousreply 293February 6, 2024 11:00 PM

With thanks to r293. Mea Culpa. Damn DL has no edit function. I had been bitching about MTC to a colleague on another matter and had them on the brain> but i do stand by everything I wrote and I was writing about Roundabout. Thanks for your patience :)

I wish Tyne a speedy recovery. She's really a very nice woman, an outstanding actress and a very easy person to deal with. I suspect Roundabout bungled this situation owing to adherence to the same fucked up mentality that holds them back artistically over and over again: Star fucking. Roundabout's obsession with getting as many "names" as they can most likely led them to draw up a list of ungettable big names, ALL of whom passed the unenviable opportunity to take over a complicated lead role in an extremely truncated period of time. What I imagine happen is that one of the agents for those big names also reps Amy Ryan and so she was suggested, she was game and the rest is history. My guess is the first call was to Cherry Jones and I guess she turned it down. So they had Isabel Keating already playing the role and to most tri state theater goers, Isabel is no less a draw than Amy Ryan. Both are wonderful actresses, and I assume the praise filled reports of Isabel's performance are accurate, why the hell not just give her the role. When you think of this role, first played by Cherry and then Meryl in the movie, do you think of Amy Ryan? Does Roundabout think anything of possibly insulting an excellent actress like Isabel who saved their ass in previews by bringing in Amy Ryan? I mean, if Meryl or Glenn or Cherry Jones had said yes then of course, she'd understand. WTF is wrong with them?

by Anonymousreply 294February 6, 2024 11:07 PM

R293 you’re a day late and a dollar short….

R284

by Anonymousreply 295February 6, 2024 11:15 PM

Those questioning the plot points in SWEENEY TODD have clearly never read a novel by Charles Dickens or Anthony Trollope. Or Wilkie Collins or Thomas Hardy.

by Anonymousreply 296February 6, 2024 11:17 PM

r294 no one asked you to repeat the whole damn thing

by Anonymousreply 297February 6, 2024 11:25 PM

Where will you boys be when they dim the lights for Chita?

46th Street /Richard Rodgers or the Broadhearst or...

by Anonymousreply 298February 6, 2024 11:28 PM

^I know I spelled it wrong.

by Anonymousreply 299February 6, 2024 11:31 PM

[quote]Where will you boys be when they dim the lights for Chita?

The Shubert in San Francisco.

by Anonymousreply 300February 6, 2024 11:32 PM

R300, that was a stupid lie and easy to expose.

by Anonymousreply 301February 6, 2024 11:42 PM

r301 is too short for that gesture.

by Anonymousreply 302February 6, 2024 11:43 PM

Oops.

by Anonymousreply 303February 6, 2024 11:44 PM

[quote]No one looks at the homeless. That’s part of the point

I know, and I was going to make that point in my post, but I thought it so obvious that it wasn't necessary.

by Anonymousreply 304February 7, 2024 12:13 AM

I've been railing against the Roundabout/Todd Haimes and their star-fucking ways for decades. There was a period when they were doing one horrendous show after another with at least one big name star in the cast. One got the impression that they didn't care if the star fit the role, if the rest of the cast worked well with the star, if the director was incompetent, etc., AS LONG AS THEY HAD BIG STAR WATTAGE IN THE CAST. That's why, if you look back at their history, there were a lot of shows with name stars that got terrible reviews. Things got so bad at one point that I remember a friend of mine canceling his subscription in disgust.

by Anonymousreply 305February 7, 2024 12:17 AM

I would so much prefer seeing Isabel Keating onstage than Amy Ryan, in just about anything. Ryan is dull. dull, dull.

Todd is dead. I blame this all on Liev Schreiber.

by Anonymousreply 306February 7, 2024 12:22 AM

Well, Santino Fontana had to leave the cast of "A View From the Bridge" when he was injured in a fight scene with Liev. Just sayin'

by Anonymousreply 307February 7, 2024 12:28 AM

Amy Ryan as Sister Aloysius screams of "Well, let's just give our Rolodex a spin and see where it stops."

by Anonymousreply 308February 7, 2024 12:33 AM

Chita was one of the most talented performers ever. She also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout her life. Despite that, she had a good heart, which is hard to encounter in Hollywood. At a time when gay people were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her struggles and she theirs.

by Anonymousreply 309February 7, 2024 12:51 AM

I'd never heard of Amy Ryan until a couple of months ago when I watched The Office on Peacock.

While she seems a little goofy on that show, she has the angular features that could be an asset in playing Sister Aloysius.

by Anonymousreply 310February 7, 2024 12:52 AM

A real coup would have been had they cast Sharon Gless.

by Anonymousreply 311February 7, 2024 12:52 AM

[quote]I'd never heard of Amy Ryan until a couple of months ago when I watched The Office on Peacock.

She was Stella to Natasha's Blanche

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312February 7, 2024 12:57 AM

Vicki Lawrence as Thelma Harper *is* Sister Aloysius.

Lord, Sister James! You remind me of my simpleton daughter in law Naomi.

Iola, what the hell are you doing?

by Anonymousreply 313February 7, 2024 1:06 AM

I guess I had heard of her then, because I saw that Streetcar; I left at intermission because I could not abide a production where Blanche was stronger than Stanley.

by Anonymousreply 314February 7, 2024 1:14 AM

Santino Fontana was fired from that View From the Bridge when the director Gregory Mosher overheard him bad-mouthing him to leading lady ScarJo. He was replaced by DL fave Morgan Spector of The Gilded Age. Considering there are all those lines about the character being blonde and girlie, they couldn't have done worse casting with both actors.

by Anonymousreply 315February 7, 2024 1:26 AM

r305 what didn’t they cast you in?

by Anonymousreply 316February 7, 2024 1:32 AM

I saw a very early preview of that VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE, and Fontana was terrific and quite convincing as Rodolpho. It's hard to picture the spectacularly hunky Spector in it, especially as a blond, but Fontana made it work.

by Anonymousreply 317February 7, 2024 1:47 AM

Elaine from Seinfeld.

by Anonymousreply 318February 7, 2024 1:55 AM

Amy Ryan was a last minute replacement for the debut of HYSTERICAL BLINDNESS off Broadway in 1997. She had something like 3 days to prepare and got a rave in the Times. I don’t know who the original actress was.

by Anonymousreply 319February 7, 2024 2:01 AM

They should have called in Stockard Channing. It’s theater, so her face wouldn’t be as distracting as it was on Julia.

by Anonymousreply 320February 7, 2024 2:07 AM

[quote]r272 I’m not buying that part of the story...

She's a wicked one, she'll deceive you. With her fancy gowns. And her fancy airs. And her— Mischief!

by Anonymousreply 321February 7, 2024 2:07 AM

[quote]She was Stella to Natasha's Blanche

R312 and John C. Reilly's Stanley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322February 7, 2024 3:14 AM

I admire her. She completely transformed herself for Gone Baby Gone. Most actors can’t do that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323February 7, 2024 3:39 AM

The extraordinarily humble Jason Robert Brown’s new show seems to have landed with a critical thud. Perhaps his wife can berate everyone, a la Jay-Z?

by Anonymousreply 324February 7, 2024 4:14 AM

Why the Amy Ryan hate? Admittedly, I've never seen her on stage, but she usually delivers on film and TV.

by Anonymousreply 325February 7, 2024 4:17 AM

Tony winner Scarlett Johansson was brilliant opposite Liev in that very rough and tumble A View From The Bridge; as much as everyone hates Hollywood stars she probably should have gotten a second Tony for her Maggie in Cat/Roof, too, in a much weaker production.

by Anonymousreply 326February 7, 2024 6:27 AM

I watched an excellent quality boot of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and was surprised that ScarJo received absolutely no entrance applause.

by Anonymousreply 327February 7, 2024 8:35 AM

LaPaglia, Janney and Murphy were much better.

by Anonymousreply 328February 7, 2024 10:27 AM

Incidentally, anyone remember how irate many Broadway actors were after the 2010 Tonys, when ScarJo, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Denzel Washington all won that night and Green Day performed?

Sutton Foster's brother, Hunter, spearheaded this so-called movement:

[quote]Broadway star Hunter Foster (Million Dollar Quartet) has created a New Group on Facebook - 'GIVE THE TONYS BACK TO BROADWAY!!'. The group's mission is "A group for all actors, directors, writers and fans who want to see the Tony awards given back to who it belongs to: US!! No more movie stars invading Radio City, no more rock bands playing more than one song; we want Broadway stars as presenters and Broadway people performing. And if that means leaving CBS for Bravo or Lifetime or TNT, then so be it! We've had enough!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329February 7, 2024 10:29 AM

A big fat pan in the Times for JRB's newest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330February 7, 2024 11:15 AM

R329 - that's hilarious. I never heard about that at the time. Also, those are three dumb ones for Sutton's brother to be picking on. Denzel has come back to the theatre many times over his career, is box office gold and a good stage actor, ScarJo did a fine job that season and CZJ of course got her start in the theatre in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 331February 7, 2024 11:31 AM

R327 , is entrance applause what matters for your “excellent quality boot”? Just asking; I saw it live in the theater and loved Scarlett and Ben, myself. You, “on boot”?

by Anonymousreply 332February 7, 2024 11:34 AM

[quote]Why the Amy Ryan hate? Admittedly, I've never seen her on stage, but she usually delivers on film and TV.

No Amy Ryan hate, she's an excellent actress. The point is that Amy isn't a name that has impact at on a Broadway box office any more than Isabel Keating. Maybe the poster who suggested Schreiber is behind it is right. If he was unhappy, they'd do what they could to address that. But no hate for Amy, very talented woman. just a ? about why not go with Isabel

by Anonymousreply 333February 7, 2024 12:03 PM

Leave it to pathetic cunts like R332 to stink up a DL thread so early in the day.

by Anonymousreply 334February 7, 2024 12:03 PM

Sarah Lancashire *is* Mame. If they’re ever going to do a revival, they need to do it now with Sarah, while Americans still remember her from Julia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335February 7, 2024 12:28 PM

I would think Sarah is best known from Happy Valley, not Julia. But, regardless, I don't think Mame is EVER getting revived beyond short-run programs like Encores.

by Anonymousreply 336February 7, 2024 12:30 PM

R336 it really is 2024 theatre’s worst nightmare

1) Asian stereotypes

2) glorification of the south and southern tradition

3) antisemitism

Its as if Christopher Guest did another of his movies and this was the plot they came up with

by Anonymousreply 337February 7, 2024 12:43 PM

Sarah Porkalob *is* matinee Ito.

by Anonymousreply 338February 7, 2024 12:46 PM

[quote]Santino Fontana was fired from that View From the Bridge when the director Gregory Mosher overheard him bad-mouthing him to leading lady ScarJo. He was replaced by DL fave Morgan Spector of The Gilded Age. Considering there are all those lines about the character being blonde and girlie, they couldn't have done worse casting with both actors.

Are you saying Santino WASN'T injured? I think it's well documented that he was. But of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that's the reason why he left the production.

Morgan Spector didn't come across as especially hunky in the show. He seemed miscast to me, but I don't know why he would be any more or less believable as a blond than Santino, who of course has very dark hair.

by Anonymousreply 339February 7, 2024 1:03 PM

[quote]Tony winner Scarlett Johansson was brilliant opposite Liev in that very rough and tumble A View From The Bridge; as much as everyone hates Hollywood stars she probably should have gotten a second Tony for her Maggie in Cat/Roof, too, in a much weaker production.

Really? I thought she was very good in BRIDGE but very bad in CAT, no doubt done in by a terrible director.

by Anonymousreply 340February 7, 2024 1:14 PM

Also, R337, the script of MAME (based, of course, on AUNTIE MAME) tries to mine hilarious humor out of the fact that a young, single woman becomes pregnant against her will and then is abandoned by the man who fathered the child.

by Anonymousreply 341February 7, 2024 1:18 PM

Yes, r339, I'm saying Santino was fired from VIEW. Heard about it from someone who worked on the production.

I'm spoiled. When I was a teenager I saw the glorious off-Broadway production of A VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE at the downtown Circle-In-the-Square in which a young pre-MIDNIGHT COWBOY Jon Voight played a naturally blonde Rodolpho and embodied everything that character was written to be: young and gangly, impetuous, exuberant, playful and comfortable enough with his less than macho demeanor to be a threat to the brilliant Richard Castellano as the troubled Eddie Carbone.

Neither of the 2 Broadway revivals came close to the memory of that production.

by Anonymousreply 342February 7, 2024 2:01 PM

[Quote] a young, single woman becomes pregnant against her will

“Would I recommend you? And howewww!” Not in the [italic] slightest [/italic] against her will. Relax, Gloria.

by Anonymousreply 343February 7, 2024 2:29 PM

OK does any of you know what actually went down with Charlotte St. M? Or even good rumors?

by Anonymousreply 344February 7, 2024 3:30 PM

[quote]Yes, [R339], I'm saying Santino was fired from VIEW. Heard about it from someone who worked on the production.

Well, he has recounted in detail how he sustained a concussion during a fight scene, and I very much doubt he was being untruthful about that. So maybe what you heard was not accurate, or maybe both things are true, and Santino did sustain an injury but was fired not because of that but for the reason you stated.

by Anonymousreply 345February 7, 2024 3:30 PM

[quote]2) glorification of the south and southern tradition

R337 Really? I've always thought that MAME was satirizing the South.

Then again, satire seems to be a lost art these days.

by Anonymousreply 346February 7, 2024 3:32 PM

[quote] Then again, satire seems to be a lost art these days.

Certainly the wit and intelligence to recognize it and appreciate it is a lost art these days.

by Anonymousreply 347February 7, 2024 3:38 PM

I saw AIDA on tour and Mickey Dolenz was playing Radames' father.

I was the only one who applauded when he came on......

by Anonymousreply 348February 7, 2024 3:45 PM

[quote]Certainly the wit and intelligence to recognize it and appreciate it is a lost art these days.

Fran Lebowitz correctly observed that not only did AIDS take some of our best and brightest creators, it also claimed our best audience. Hard to imagine Broadway would have turned into a juke box musical/straw hat mentality revival house if AIDS hadn't decimated the creative community and the audience that supported it

by Anonymousreply 349February 7, 2024 3:51 PM

[quote] is entrance applause what matters for your “excellent quality boot”? Just asking; I saw it live in the theater and loved Scarlett and Ben, myself. You, “on boot”?

This may be the dumbest, most unnecessary response to a post I've ever read.

by Anonymousreply 350February 7, 2024 4:08 PM

r350 congratulations you just beat r332 at your own game

by Anonymousreply 351February 7, 2024 4:23 PM

[quote] [R350] congratulations you just beat [R332] at your own game

You're just angry because I didn't get a look at the number of inane, cunty posts you've written. And man, there are a LOT.

Fine, I take the award back and give it to you.

by Anonymousreply 352February 7, 2024 4:33 PM

Kay McClelland was just on Ben Rimalower’s Into the Woods podcast and she said toward the end of the run, she finally assumed the role of the Wife, BUT one of the creatives wrote her notes about how dissatisfied and disappointed they were in her performance but because the show was closing soon, she would stay in the role.

She wouldn’t say who it was.

Of course the whole thing sounds like something Sondheim would have done. Am I right by guessing him?

by Anonymousreply 353February 7, 2024 4:54 PM

That sounds more like Lapine. Sondheim was very old school about supporting actors.

by Anonymousreply 354February 7, 2024 5:14 PM

Kay McClelland was a carbon copy of Joanna Gleason. Now that's not a bad thing but maybe someone wanted her to bring something new to the role. After ITW she stood by for Joanna in Nick and Nora.

by Anonymousreply 355February 7, 2024 5:27 PM

[quote] maybe someone wanted her to bring something new to the role.

If so, that would be a rarity, considering they usually want the replacement to follow very closely what the original cast member did.

by Anonymousreply 356February 7, 2024 5:37 PM

Will that be true of this SWEENEY??

by Anonymousreply 357February 7, 2024 5:56 PM

R355, if you listen to the podcast, she says that she felt it was her job to follow Gleason’s performance. Also, she went right from Into the Woods into City of Angels. She stood by for both Gleason and Baranski. Nick and Nora’s brief run was near the end of City of Angel’s.

by Anonymousreply 358February 7, 2024 6:01 PM

[quote]“Would I recommend you? And howewww!” Not in the slightest against her will.

Sorry, but I really don't take that lyric to mean that Gooch is perfectly fine with being an unwed mother. Aside from everything else, please remember that MAME is set at a time when there was a terrible stigma about such things. In fact, the big joke at the end of the show was changed from the play AUNTIE MAME so that, instead of Mame saying that she bought the upstate property next to the Upsons to found a home for Jewish refugees, she says she bought it to found a home for unwed mothers -- news that shocks the Upsons so badly that they immediately leave Mame's apartment in a huff.

by Anonymousreply 359February 7, 2024 6:13 PM

Will Foster and Tveit be reviewed by the Times, etc.?

by Anonymousreply 360February 7, 2024 6:26 PM

Why wouldn't they be, r360?

by Anonymousreply 361February 7, 2024 6:28 PM

Because there are 4,536 new shows about to open and the critics will be tired. But they probably will because it's Sondheim and they will probably find a way to mention Lin Manuel Miranda. Because.

by Anonymousreply 362February 7, 2024 7:33 PM

[quote]Nick and Nora’s brief run was near the end of City of Angel’s.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 363February 7, 2024 7:52 PM

R354 except when he ripped Patti LuPone to shreds during Passion, Patti LuPone during Sweeney Todd and Patti LuPone during the 2011 New York Phil Company.

Maybe it was just Patti LuPone?

by Anonymousreply 364February 7, 2024 8:00 PM

[quote]except when he ripped Patti LuPone to shreds during Passion, Patti LuPone during Sweeney Todd and Patti LuPone during the 2011 New York Phil Company.

And telling her that outside of Broadway, she was a nobody.

by Anonymousreply 365February 7, 2024 8:05 PM

R365 he did that during a joint interview with her to promote the recent COMPANY revival, like two years before his death. Very recent.

I had second-hand embarrassment for her.

by Anonymousreply 366February 7, 2024 8:09 PM

What was the basis for Mr. Sondheim getting so bent out of shape about LuPone? Because she wouldn’t kowtow to him?

by Anonymousreply 367February 7, 2024 8:26 PM

She was very appreciative of him. It’s hard to believe she wouldn’t do anything to please him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368February 7, 2024 8:27 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369February 7, 2024 8:31 PM

Pffft.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370February 7, 2024 8:33 PM

The delicacy and insight the song requires:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371February 7, 2024 8:52 PM

oh jebus. and it seems to never end!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372February 7, 2024 8:55 PM

Did someone say Sondheim?

Did someone mention my chum?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373February 7, 2024 9:10 PM

And in the novel AUNTIE MAME, Gooch is something of a horny slut who practically rapes Patrick in the back of a taxi.

by Anonymousreply 374February 7, 2024 9:16 PM

Isn't she his nanny?

by Anonymousreply 375February 7, 2024 9:20 PM

No. She was Mame's secretary.

by Anonymousreply 376February 7, 2024 9:39 PM

All three of Eleri Ward’s Sondheim albums are very lovely.

by Anonymousreply 377February 7, 2024 10:27 PM

" Chicago" breaks records.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 378February 7, 2024 11:07 PM

Broadway is dead

by Anonymousreply 379February 7, 2024 11:43 PM

R379. But I just got here!

by Anonymousreply 380February 7, 2024 11:45 PM

The Broadway run for "My Son's a Queer (But What Can You Do?)" has been cancelled, but what can you do?

by Anonymousreply 381February 7, 2024 11:48 PM

Agnes Gooch doesn't appear in AUNTIE MAME until well into Act I, maybe even Act II. It wasn't until the musical MAME combined the characters of Gooch with Irish Nanny Norah (from the play) that Gooch had that early scene and song about St. Bridget. Hell, it saved a whole salary and the cost of a couple of costumes.

I have no idea about the novel.

by Anonymousreply 382February 8, 2024 1:05 AM

Where are you reading this r381? I can't find it anywhere...

by Anonymousreply 383February 8, 2024 1:07 AM

oof

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384February 8, 2024 1:20 AM

Boy George is 62 years old and jumping into MR must feel like being shot out of a cannon. Give him another week and he'll be terrific.

by Anonymousreply 385February 8, 2024 1:27 AM

[quote]No. She was Mame's secretary.

Actually, r376, she was her...sponge.

by Anonymousreply 386February 8, 2024 1:37 AM

[quote] The Broadway run for "My Son's a Queer (But What Can You Do?)" has been cancelled, but what can you do?

You'd better spill.

by Anonymousreply 387February 8, 2024 2:11 AM

They are still selling tickets for it on Telecharge, but I clicked on several dates and there are a TON of unsold seats. And the only seats sold are mezz and balcony.

It's like going to a Janet Jackson concert.

by Anonymousreply 388February 8, 2024 2:13 AM

You should read the novel, r382. It's far more sophisticated and satirical than the play or the film.

by Anonymousreply 389February 8, 2024 2:55 AM

Yikes! Wtf are they all screeching about in that horrendous Boy George clip at r384??

People pay money for this crap? Dick and Oscar are rolling over in their graves with Cole, Jerome and Irving.

by Anonymousreply 390February 8, 2024 2:58 AM

It's absolutely killing that dear Aurora already disabled comments on this MUSIC MAN video. I guess he can't handle Sutton Foster hate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 391February 8, 2024 3:37 AM

Preview of the Rodgers & Hammerstein 80th Anniversary Concert that will be shown in UK/Ireland cinemas next week and will air on PBS in May.

Also this month, a remastered LES MISERABLES is being re-released in theaters in the US/Canada/UK/Ireland/Australia/New Zealand.

And Aaron starts SWEENEY TODD tomorrow. He's going to have a hell of a banner month!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392February 8, 2024 9:35 AM

The My Son's a Queer rumours are from talk on social media that the crew were told to stop work on the load-in and that it's been delayed until fall. Some people then went to the Lyceum box office and it was closed when it was meant to be open, which is being seen as confirmation.

by Anonymousreply 393February 8, 2024 9:48 AM

That’s incredibly sad for Rob Madge if it turns out to be true.

But also: what did the producers expect? Despite what one might think about the show itself, he’s barely a known commodity in the UK. I have do idea why they thought enough American audiences would pay Broadway prices to sustain a run of several months.

by Anonymousreply 394February 8, 2024 11:25 AM

R392 - God, that R&H sound never fails to give me chills. A.T. sounds a bit strained on those high notes, no? And here I was worried about his low notes for Sweeney.

For those, like me, who were unaware of the concert....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 395February 8, 2024 12:38 PM

They are selling tickets on line as of 2 minutes ago…

by Anonymousreply 396February 8, 2024 12:44 PM

Oy—another PBS pledge drive Broadway special. I’ve had sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 397February 8, 2024 12:49 PM

Lots of plummy tones on the R&H material.

by Anonymousreply 398February 8, 2024 12:56 PM

Nobody these days can sing R&H.

All the drama schools have produced bland actors who don’t know how to play the supporting characters and the actors who play the lead characters are too self-focused.

Who was the last person who could handle R&H material?

by Anonymousreply 399February 8, 2024 1:02 PM

The singing in that Music Man clip is HORRENDOUS. She did that for a YEAR?? God help Sweeney Todd. She needs to retire. She sucks.

by Anonymousreply 400February 8, 2024 1:02 PM

Ah, the pathological Sutton hater has arrived!

by Anonymousreply 401February 8, 2024 1:26 PM

From the language in the description of that YouTube post from THE MUSIC MAN, "Aurora Spiderwoman" would seem to be a fan of Sutton Foster. Which is odd, because her singing of that song in that clip is indeed quite horrendous -- because she had no business being cast in that role to begin with. If Aurora wanted to do something positive for her, it would have been far wiser to post a clip from ONCE UPON A MATTRESS.

R401, one doesn't need to be a "pathological Sutton hater" in order to criticize her performances in certain roles for which she is wildly unsuited.

by Anonymousreply 402February 8, 2024 2:22 PM

[quote] That’s incredibly sad for Rob Madge if it turns out to be true.

Yeah, cry me a river.

by Anonymousreply 403February 8, 2024 3:12 PM

I've seen the self proclaimed QUEEN twice on the reality show Below Deck. She and her family are pigs. Low life trash. The husband is revolting. They must be backing this financially.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404February 8, 2024 3:28 PM

Cancelled/delayed....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405February 8, 2024 5:40 PM

That thing will never come back to Broadway. Postponing it a year won't help sell any more tickets.

by Anonymousreply 406February 8, 2024 6:14 PM

[quote]God, that R&H sound never fails to give me chills. A.T. sounds a bit strained on those high notes, no?

Who the hell is A.T.?

by Anonymousreply 407February 8, 2024 6:16 PM

[quote]That thing will never come back to Broadway. Postponing it a year won't help sell any more tickets.

But what can you do?

by Anonymousreply 408February 8, 2024 6:17 PM

Seriously, who is the audience for that?

by Anonymousreply 409February 8, 2024 6:17 PM

Audrey Totter, R407.

by Anonymousreply 410February 8, 2024 6:36 PM

Okay, so which one of you lives in Wisconsin?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 411February 8, 2024 6:37 PM

[quote]Who the hell is A.T.?

Are you following the thread *at all*, r407?

by Anonymousreply 412February 8, 2024 7:15 PM

Wow, Sutton Foster really was horrible in MM. Here she sings Til There Was You, which is one of the most surefire songs in theater history. I would have a hard time saying one single good thing about anything she does with it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 413February 8, 2024 7:36 PM

Jeez, Julian Ovenden got grey. Still handsome, though.

by Anonymousreply 414February 8, 2024 8:20 PM

when has Aurora [italic] ever [/italic] turned off comments before?

by Anonymousreply 415February 8, 2024 8:25 PM

He deleted any critical comments about Issac Cole Powell's overacting in the West Side Story clip

by Anonymousreply 416February 8, 2024 8:35 PM

What has kept Julian Ovenden from being a bigger star? On stage, film or TV?

by Anonymousreply 417February 8, 2024 8:36 PM

R414 Julian Ovenden is only 47 years old, so the gray is just premature. Yes, he's still handsome. I had the privilege of seeing him nude on stage - a moment I'll never forget or regret.

by Anonymousreply 418February 8, 2024 8:45 PM

Julian Ovenden was the hottest George ever when he did SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE. I wonder if withdrawing from DEATH TAKES A HOLIDAY hurt his career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 419February 8, 2024 8:47 PM

Yowza! Hot?? I think Ovenden looks like a woman in drag as George in your clip, r419. Horrible wig and facial hair.

by Anonymousreply 420February 8, 2024 9:01 PM

The hottest George will probably always be Jake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 421February 8, 2024 9:08 PM

Has anyone seen Oh Mary? Cole Escola’s play? A review mentioned a gay sex scene with Conrad Ricamora. Is it worth it? Haha

by Anonymousreply 422February 8, 2024 9:20 PM

Escola sounds "obnoxious, grating, a nuisance." His own words! Sorry, THEIR own words.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423February 8, 2024 9:26 PM

R419. Didn't he lose his voice during a performance of Death and never returned so the show opened with his understudy.

by Anonymousreply 424February 8, 2024 10:21 PM

Will Hugh be there tonight for Sutton’s debut as Mrs. Lovett?

by Anonymousreply 425February 8, 2024 10:22 PM

[quote]Will Hugh be there tonight for Sutton’s debut as Mrs. Lovett?

Right along with Hunter and Christian.

by Anonymousreply 426February 8, 2024 10:25 PM

R424, I’ve seen a boot of the performance where he left the show after the first 15-20 minutes, there was a pause and his understudy, Kevin Earley, finished the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 427February 8, 2024 10:27 PM

R427. That's right! I saw that bootleg ages ago. The swap was seamless. Julian exited and a few moments later there was an announcement that Kevin would be taking over as he walked up on the stage from the back of the house without missing a beat.

by Anonymousreply 428February 8, 2024 10:56 PM

[quote]R414] Julian Ovenden is only 47 years old, so the gray is just premature.

Most people start going gray in their late thirties or early forties.

By late forties, it's not premature.

He's just not coloring his hair like most actors his age or younger.

by Anonymousreply 429February 8, 2024 11:04 PM

The man can sing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 430February 8, 2024 11:08 PM

[quote]Will Hugh be there tonight for Sutton’s debut as Mrs. Lovett?

[quote]Right along with Hunter and Christian.

What about former boyfriend, Bobby Cannavale, and his son, Jake, who were her dates when she won her second Tony for ANYTHING GOES and who she thanked in her speech?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 431February 8, 2024 11:13 PM

Ovenden has the best male voice on either side of the Atlantic.

by Anonymousreply 432February 8, 2024 11:46 PM

So why isn't Julian a bigger star? Is he really considered a big star in the UK?

by Anonymousreply 433February 9, 2024 12:44 AM

Isn't he short?

by Anonymousreply 434February 9, 2024 12:46 AM

Julian in NY

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435February 9, 2024 1:32 AM

The Sutton hate here is officially pathological. She sounds fantastic in both those clips. Someone in their mother's basement needs to take their meds.

by Anonymousreply 436February 9, 2024 1:44 AM

Us theatre queens have Barbara Cook's renditions of Marian's song indelibly etched into our brains, of course Sutton sounds terrible in comparison.

And I usually like Sutton!

by Anonymousreply 437February 9, 2024 1:58 AM

R437, she just sounds terrible, period. Aside from Cook, you could also put Rebecca Luker into the conversation of dream Marions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438February 9, 2024 2:07 AM

[quote]Isn't he short?

Well, as an actor, there are certain gestures Julian Ovenden just can't do.

by Anonymousreply 439February 9, 2024 2:35 AM

[quote]419 Julian Ovenden was the hottest George ever when he did SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE.

[quote]421 The hottest George will probably always be Jake.

They’re no Betty - -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 440February 9, 2024 2:52 AM

[quote]Didn't he lose his voice during a performance of Death and never returned so the show opened with his understudy.

I once spoke to someone who was in the cast of DEATH TAKES A HOLIDAY and they basically said, though not in so many words, that Ovenden was very neurotic about his voice -- that he would be vocalizing before a performance and sounding glorious, but if he felt his voice was only at 90 percent instead of 100 percent, he wouldn't go on.

by Anonymousreply 441February 9, 2024 3:30 AM

Didn’t Rebecca Luger get booted to the Canadian production of SHOW BOAT because she was banging Marc Jacoby. Mrs. Jacoby wasn’t happy and was making very serious problems?

by Anonymousreply 442February 9, 2024 4:46 AM

Luker?

by Anonymousreply 443February 9, 2024 6:58 AM

[quote]Didn’t Rebecca Luger get booted to the Canadian production of SHOW BOAT because she was banging Marc Jacoby.

Her punishment was to be banished to Canada? 😂

by Anonymousreply 444February 9, 2024 7:05 AM

Not to add another misspelling of Becca’s name (and she was a truly sweet lady that died tragically and far too early), but she got around; back in the mid-1990s Rebecca’s nickname was “Filthy Lucre” (she was a “pageant girl” from Alabama, after all).

by Anonymousreply 445February 9, 2024 7:25 AM

Kristin Chenoweth and F. Murray Abraham playing husband and wife in new Stephen Schwartz musical.

[quote] Based on Lauren Greenfield’s award-winning 2012 documentary about socialite and TV personality Jacqueline “Jackie” Siegel, The Queen of Versailles concerns her family’s quest to build a $100 million mansion outside of Orlando styled after the Palace of Versailles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 446February 9, 2024 11:44 AM

I'm surprised Cheno would play such a despicable character. I thought she was horrifying in that documentary...

by Anonymousreply 447February 9, 2024 12:11 PM

[quote] I'm surprised Cheno would play such a despicable character.

A girl’s gotta eat. And how many Broadway roles is Cheno being offered these days Other than a couple of concerts, she hasn’t done Broadway since 2015.

by Anonymousreply 448February 9, 2024 12:18 PM

You can count on a musical version to soften the Cheno character.

by Anonymousreply 449February 9, 2024 12:20 PM

I’m sorry but this will flop. Nobody wants to see her with F Murray Abraham.

by Anonymousreply 450February 9, 2024 12:32 PM

Rave reviews for "Oh, Mary!" Here's Adam Feldman's 5-star review in Time Out NY. I can't wait to see it at the end of the month.

With Kevin McCollum producing, what are they chances this moves uptown? Is it too niche for that? Has a Lincoln play ever played the Booth?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 451February 9, 2024 12:53 PM

[quote] but if he felt his voice was only at 90 percent instead of 100 percent, he wouldn't go on.

Seems more than sufficient to me.

by Anonymousreply 452February 9, 2024 12:55 PM

R452. I concur.

by Anonymousreply 453February 9, 2024 1:33 PM

Actually it was Mark Jacoby who was banished to the Chicago company and Rebecca remained in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 454February 9, 2024 1:34 PM

I never miss an F. Murray Abraham musical.

by Anonymousreply 455February 9, 2024 1:34 PM

True that the advances for Tveit and Foster are weak?

by Anonymousreply 456February 9, 2024 1:37 PM

So curious to hear reports from today's Sweeney!

by Anonymousreply 457February 9, 2024 1:43 PM

R456, i am going to New York in early March and checked out of morbid curiosity. Not a difficult ticket, and the prices weren’t crazy. Most shows I looked at are not selling that well, but still are priced in the $300 zone for orchestra or front mezzanine.

by Anonymousreply 458February 9, 2024 1:58 PM

What actress would turn down the lead in a new Broadway musical by the guy who wrote Wicked?

The answer is no one.

by Anonymousreply 459February 9, 2024 1:59 PM

So r455, you liked Triumph of Love?

by Anonymousreply 460February 9, 2024 2:18 PM

He won an Oscar in a musical!

by Anonymousreply 461February 9, 2024 2:27 PM

Adam Feldman is a nice guy but he has zero taste. In his reviews, if any piece is shrilly camp or OTT gay, he loves it. Every. Single. Time. And don’t get me started on his awful cabaret “performances “…

by Anonymousreply 462February 9, 2024 2:57 PM

I didn't find "Oh, Mary" as funny as everyone else in the audience. Yes, parts are hilarious and no doubt the actors are talented. But the "everyone is gay" trope is getting old (and yes, I know I'm in the DL here where EVERY celebrity is rumored to be gay) but it's a tad predictable at this point. Also, I read somewhere that Cole became a "them" only last year, and wondering if he did it to avoid backlash that he was dressing up as a woman in this show.

by Anonymousreply 463February 9, 2024 3:55 PM

What backlash could be expected? It’s called acting.

by Anonymousreply 464February 9, 2024 4:21 PM

R464, if you can't imagine what sort of (ridiculous) backlash might be expected, you must be living in a cave with no internet service.

by Anonymousreply 465February 9, 2024 6:44 PM

I can’t. Please explain the expected backlash for a “man” dressed as a “woman” on a New York stage. Was there such a backlash the previous 10,000+ times it has been done?

by Anonymousreply 466February 9, 2024 6:58 PM

He's not "dressing as a woman," he's playing a woman. There's a difference.

by Anonymousreply 467February 9, 2024 7:03 PM

Point taken. My question still stands: Was there such a backlash the previous 10,000+ times it has been done?

by Anonymousreply 468February 9, 2024 7:08 PM

[quote]Please explain the expected backlash for a “man” dressed as a “woman” on a New York stage. Was there such a backlash the previous 10,000+ times it has been done?

No, there wasn't, but unfortunately, things are very different now. Not to say a backlash to this show is guaranteed, and I hope it doesn't happen, but it's certainly possible, ridiculous as that may seem to any rational person.

by Anonymousreply 469February 9, 2024 7:08 PM

[quote]R454 Actually it was Mark Jacoby who was banished to the Chicago company and Rebecca remained in NYC.

The LOVE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 470February 9, 2024 7:10 PM

Who knew Mary Todd? Seriously R469 you ARE sounding ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 471February 9, 2024 7:12 PM

[quote]Who knew Mary Todd?

In the minds of those who WOULD object to Cole Escola playing a woman -- specifically, Mary Todd Lincoln -- in this show, whether or not anyone "knew her" has absolutely nothing to do with it. And if you care to take the time to check, I was not the first person here to suggest that some people might object to this show on those grounds.

by Anonymousreply 472February 9, 2024 8:22 PM

Rebecca Luker was a worthy successor to Barbara Cook. Sutton Foster has been fun in a lot of fun in some shows, including Once Upon a Mattress, but The Music Man score was WAY beyond her abilities.

by Anonymousreply 473February 9, 2024 8:24 PM

[quote]Sutton Foster has been fun in a lot of fun in some shows, including Once Upon a Mattress, but The Music Man score was WAY beyond her abilities.

Agreed, because her voice was all wrong for that role in terms of both range and quality. Blame Scott Rudin for that bizarre star-fucker casting.

by Anonymousreply 474February 9, 2024 8:35 PM

I didn't really appreciate Rebecca Luker until she was (tragically) done with performing. I listen to her now on all sorts of recordings, many concert collections and those albums of old shows in which she's one of the singers. Her gorgeous voice is always a stand out.

by Anonymousreply 475February 9, 2024 8:39 PM

The perfect purity of her voice in The Secret Garden is so striking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 476February 9, 2024 9:02 PM

^^ Luker's role is the one Sharon Scruggs from a few threads ago originated in the pre Broadway production at Virginia Stage Company (1989)

by Anonymousreply 477February 9, 2024 9:03 PM

…who WOULD object to Cole Escola playing a woman?

You still haven’t answered the questions.

by Anonymousreply 478February 9, 2024 9:04 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 479February 9, 2024 9:05 PM

I look at Cole Escola like I do Kiki and Herb or the comedy troupe The State. I just don't find anything about them funny or clever.

by Anonymousreply 480February 9, 2024 9:12 PM

It all comes back to Sharon Scruggs.

by Anonymousreply 481February 9, 2024 9:32 PM

This is cute. At the [bold]49:26 mark [/bold]fellow-Christine Sierra Boggess is amazed at how slow Luker can handle the tempo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 482February 9, 2024 9:33 PM

[quote]…who WOULD object to Cole Escola playing a woman? You still haven’t answered the questions.

Why don't we just wait and see if it happens? If it does, then your question will be answered. If not, and I hope not, then it's a moot point.

by Anonymousreply 483February 9, 2024 9:40 PM

Cheno has been offered all sorts of musicals since 2015, given interviews that she was doing them, talked about what she wanted to do....And then backed out. (Death Becomes Her...). She must believe in this one to finally commit.

by Anonymousreply 484February 9, 2024 9:55 PM

[quote] She must believe in this one to finally commit.

She wants to be known as the chief interpreter of Schwartz.

Like Bernadette was considered the chief interpreter of Sondheim and LuPone thought she should be.

by Anonymousreply 485February 9, 2024 10:00 PM

Saw the new Ivo van Hove Jesus Christ Superstar in Amsterdam tonight.

It’s like he saw the Jamie Lloyd Sunset Boulevard and decided to show that young whippersnapper how to properly deconstruct a Lloyd Webber musical.

Thrilling, terrifying and more coherent than any other production of JCS I’ve ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 486February 9, 2024 10:18 PM

[quote]Thrilling, terrifying and more coherent than any other production of JCS I’ve ever seen.

It was the freewheeling patio number, wasn't it?

by Anonymousreply 487February 9, 2024 10:36 PM

A truly bad title. I thought it was about the French Royal Family.

by Anonymousreply 488February 9, 2024 10:49 PM

R486 I love Von Hove.

by Anonymousreply 489February 10, 2024 12:31 AM

R488 to what are you referring?

by Anonymousreply 490February 10, 2024 1:12 AM

Prayer to the French Republic is the logical guess.

by Anonymousreply 491February 10, 2024 1:23 AM

Cheno “accepted” The Queen of Versailles because it’s her project. She fell in love with the property and took it to Schwartz and convinced him to write it.

by Anonymousreply 492February 10, 2024 1:45 AM

[quote] What actress would turn down the lead in a new Broadway musical by the guy who wrote Wicked?

Hugh Jackman did, when he pulled out of the Barnum musical that Stephen Schwartz was writing for Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 493February 10, 2024 1:50 AM

I've never seen, or, more to the point, heard a modern production of Jesus Christ Superstar that comes within a mile of the original Broadway cast recording or the film soundtrack. The score is such a product of its time. That 70s rock and rock opera sound is part of what makes the score so dazzling when its played well. But, productions I saw in the 90s and 2000s because the musicians and the music directors just weren't up to that task and the score sounded anemic and soulless in comparison to those recordings. You'd really need to hire incredibly talented session musicians and an md and producers and engineers who know how to reawaken the fidelity and special quality of that 70s rock sound. Plus, of course, we don't make vocalists like those casts these days.

To a lesser extent, I feel the same way about Company. The SOUND of that Sondheim score is so late 60s / early 70s. It's almost Sondheim's Bacharach sound and subsequent productions (with, perhaps, the exception of Pauly G's expert music direction of the NY Phil concert) really take all the color and flavor out of the musical score. That early 70s "sound" is another reason I don't think setting the production in a later decade works. Sure, you can change a lyrical reference here or there, but the score still SOUNDS so of its time.

by Anonymousreply 494February 10, 2024 2:03 AM

Sorry, that should have read

[quote]But, productions I saw in the 90s and 2000s never worked for me because the musicians and the music directors just weren't up to that task and the score sounded anemic and soulless in comparison to those recordings.

by Anonymousreply 495February 10, 2024 2:04 AM

Sutton and Tveit first bows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 496February 10, 2024 2:06 AM

I just don't get those Sweeney costumes.....why does everything look so spanking clean and freshly laundered?

by Anonymousreply 497February 10, 2024 2:46 AM

Holy shit! Sutton's Worst Pies in London is the worst I've ever heard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 498February 10, 2024 2:46 AM

[quote]To a lesser extent, I feel the same way about Company. The SOUND of that Sondheim score is so late 60s / early 70s.

I love at the end of “Ladies Who Lunch” when Stritch is screeching “Rise…rise…rise” how the horns are playing “ba da da da da”. To me, that invokes the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 499February 10, 2024 2:51 AM

R498, She sounds like Jean Stapleton as Edith Bunker.

by Anonymousreply 500February 10, 2024 2:55 AM

[quote] Holy shit! Sutton's Worst Pies in London is the worst I've ever heard.

(Said in the same voice Merman used when she heard Bacall’s singing): Jesus!

by Anonymousreply 501February 10, 2024 2:55 AM

That clip above of Rebecca Luker singing All the Things You Are is so, so lovely, I am glad that I got to see her in Showboat back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 502February 10, 2024 2:55 AM

[quote] [R498], She sounds like Jean Stapleton as Edith Bunker.

She sounds like a high school kid trying to copy Angela Lansbury.

by Anonymousreply 503February 10, 2024 2:57 AM

She sounds like a community service lady way over her head.

I'm a longtime fan, but between MUSIC MAN and this, I'm losing faith fast. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 504February 10, 2024 3:02 AM

r493

Houdini, not Barnum.

by Anonymousreply 505February 10, 2024 3:28 AM

I like Sutton’s Worst Pies. She’s getting all the laughs. Nothing wrong with it at all,

by Anonymousreply 506February 10, 2024 3:36 AM

[quote]Cheno has been offered all sorts of musicals since 2015, given interviews that she was doing them, talked about what she wanted to do....And then backed out. (Death Becomes Her...). She must believe in this one to finally commit.

Years ago, one of the people who worked with her told me that she hates to say no to anything, so she winds up saying yes to everything but then backing out of a lot.

by Anonymousreply 507February 10, 2024 3:38 AM

I'm so excited about seeing Moulin Rouge I could just......well, I could just tie a Scandinavian hustler to a radiator and whip him with chains!

by Anonymousreply 508February 10, 2024 3:44 AM

Aaron doesn't do much better. His voice is way too light.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 509February 10, 2024 3:47 AM

R509, He sounded great.

by Anonymousreply 510February 10, 2024 3:51 AM

Was that Sutton or was someone strangling a cat. Of course the audience loved it.

by Anonymousreply 511February 10, 2024 3:59 AM

Holy fuck. How does the star-making Tony winning sensation from Thoroughly modern Millie turn into….that?

by Anonymousreply 512February 10, 2024 4:05 AM

It's called miscasting, r512. Sutton needs material that works towards her strengths.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 513February 10, 2024 4:09 AM

Sondheim would have heartily approved Aaron’s casting.

by Anonymousreply 514February 10, 2024 4:10 AM

And...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 515February 10, 2024 4:14 AM

Why in the hell didn't they lower Worst Pies so the song would actually sit in her tessitura?

by Anonymousreply 516February 10, 2024 4:27 AM

Scram, Tessie!

by Anonymousreply 517February 10, 2024 4:36 AM

That ‘worst pies in london’ is the worst.

Her voice sounds unsteady.

by Anonymousreply 518February 10, 2024 4:51 AM

I happen to think Johnny Depp sounded good in the movie? Am I crazy?

by Anonymousreply 519February 10, 2024 4:52 AM

Oh, dear. Comment about Worst Pies in London clip:

[quote]Do I dare ask how By the Sea was? Did they rewrite it and cut the whole seagull bit out since she's opting to use the seagull voice for the full performance?

by Anonymousreply 520February 10, 2024 4:54 AM

[quote]Sondheim would have heartily approved Aaron’s casting.

Does Aaron like hanging in a closet by a leather strap?

by Anonymousreply 521February 10, 2024 4:55 AM

A jockstrap?

by Anonymousreply 522February 10, 2024 5:16 AM

Re the backlash situation, there were many articles stating the opinion that men in drag are harmful to the trans community. But I think a “them” might get a pass from such activists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 523February 10, 2024 5:31 AM

[quote] I like Sutton’s Worst Pies. She’s getting all the laughs. Nothing wrong with it at all,

But she's not getting any of the laughs on the lines. The lines are going by and she's getting laughs in between them, no doubt from some awful schtick she's doing (which I'm Ashford did, as well.)

I am a Sutton fan, but that recording was painful to listen to. I'd have asked for my money back.

by Anonymousreply 524February 10, 2024 5:39 AM

Whew that Sweeney stuff is rough going. Sutton particularly sounds dreadful and yes she’s getting zero laughs out of one of Sondheim’s funniest songs.

by Anonymousreply 525February 10, 2024 5:43 AM

Wow. Those Sweeney clips are so much worse than I imagined. Glad I got to hear Groban sing the role exquisitely.

by Anonymousreply 526February 10, 2024 8:37 AM

Aaron’s Epiphany sounds wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 527February 10, 2024 8:52 AM

[quote]Sutton's Worst Pies in London is the worst I've ever heard.

How meta!

by Anonymousreply 528February 10, 2024 9:02 AM

Aaron signing at the stage door!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 529February 10, 2024 9:11 AM

I thought Aaron sounded marginally better than Sutton. But what was with that “bwah-ha-ha” evil laugh that he added towards the end?

by Anonymousreply 530February 10, 2024 9:17 AM

Video snippet of "Worst Pies in London."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 531February 10, 2024 9:26 AM

Actually, it's from It's Priest.

by Anonymousreply 532February 10, 2024 9:28 AM

R532 You're correct. Sorry. I guess I was still thinking about the discussion above. 😂

by Anonymousreply 533February 10, 2024 9:46 AM

The reaction on social media is decidedly mixed - and once you consider that the audience was packed with fangirls of either Tveit or Foster, that's not a good sign. A lot of fangirls are now suddenly of the opinion that first performances shouldn't be judged.

My favourite comments were that Tveit needs to pick an accent - he switches from attempting something like cockney to just his normal accent, and then the same thing when singing - sometimes singing in an accent, sometimes not.

Foster may be doing the staged break thing again on the "with or without his privates?" line. Looking directly out into the audience and making it look like she's trying not to laugh.

Oh and it was asked whether they'd create their own interpretations or mirror what went before - they're basically playing it the same way as DeLaney Westfall and Nicholas Christopher.

by Anonymousreply 534February 10, 2024 11:14 AM

R534 Sutton is mirroring what we saw before. It just happens to be Carol Burnett’s Tarzan yell throughout all musical numbers.

by Anonymousreply 535February 10, 2024 11:19 AM

r509 "...and I'll never see my gurrrl again"

by Anonymousreply 536February 10, 2024 11:35 AM

Sutton and Aaron would be right at home in an NYU student production but this is Broadway and audiences deserve better. How embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 537February 10, 2024 11:36 AM

R523 you’re going to have to do better than one column by someone no one’s ever heard of on a site no one reads. That’s hardly a backlash. My larger point remains: there is no groundswell against, or general disagreement with, men playing women on Broadway—it’s deeply ingrained in the stage tradition. It’s not really an issue at all.

by Anonymousreply 538February 10, 2024 11:48 AM

[quote]A girl’s gotta eat.

This is Cheno you're talking about. Are you sure?

by Anonymousreply 539February 10, 2024 12:05 PM

[quote]This is Cheno you're talking about. Are you sure?

A girl’s gotta buy coffee and cigarettes.

by Anonymousreply 540February 10, 2024 12:11 PM

Much better

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 541February 10, 2024 12:22 PM

Oh Jesus, ladies. Calm down. "I want my money back"? Well, given the insane hyperbole, you're either living in your mothers' basement in Hackensack or you're a freshman MT student in Denver, I don't think we need to be worrying about that...

by Anonymousreply 542February 10, 2024 1:13 PM

R494 is 100% correct, but this issue really extends to most Broadway productions, not just the big seventies musicals. The musicians and singers to make the scores sound like they did don’t exist any more. The actual music making has become one of the least important things on Broadway now. You need look no further than the current casting of Sweeney Todd to understand that.

by Anonymousreply 543February 10, 2024 1:21 PM

Broadway audiences will love Tveit and Foster for the same reason that every show gets a standing ovation: they paid outrageous prices to see the show, so they convince themselves that it was worth it by singing the praises of the leads and standing at the end and cheering as if Oprah had just told them they were getting a car. Even the crappiest show gets a standing O.

by Anonymousreply 544February 10, 2024 1:56 PM

Are the crowds at the stage door as large as those for Groban?

by Anonymousreply 545February 10, 2024 2:04 PM

Sadly, there is a lot of truth to what R544 wrote. But another part of the equation is that a large percentage of audience members today honestly think what they're hearing and seeing is great even when it's actually bad, because they don't know -- and don't WANT to know -- what it's supposed to sound and look like.

by Anonymousreply 546February 10, 2024 2:05 PM

Damn, I can understand Tveit and Foster having fans but those clips are completely indefensible. Instead of roasting posters for pointing it out, on DL we should be having a good laugh about them.

One thing I think is certain: The show will close when these two finish their run.

by Anonymousreply 547February 10, 2024 2:08 PM

That's more than a little condescending, r546.

by Anonymousreply 548February 10, 2024 2:09 PM

[quote]The show will close when these two finish their run

That's seemingly been confirmed by Jeanna de Waal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 549February 10, 2024 2:13 PM

r545 Judge for yourself. Looks hellish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 550February 10, 2024 2:15 PM

R548, is a comment "condescending" if it's true?

by Anonymousreply 551February 10, 2024 2:16 PM

It’s not condescending in the slightest R548 when you listen to the absurd audience response to the vocal garbage and damage spewing from Sutton Foster’s mouth.

by Anonymousreply 552February 10, 2024 3:00 PM

Don’t hold back!

by Anonymousreply 553February 10, 2024 3:17 PM

Well, she's no Sutton Foster

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 554February 10, 2024 4:39 PM

This must be some kind of a record. Sutton Foster garners raves for Once Upon a Mattress and less than two weeks later performs Sweeney Todd as if she's doing dinner theater.

by Anonymousreply 555February 10, 2024 4:42 PM

She was mis-casted!

by Anonymousreply 556February 10, 2024 4:44 PM

Next up for Sutton:

Desiree in A Little Night Music

Mabel in Mack & Mabel

Francine Shepherd in Merrily We Roll Along

Norma Desmond in Sunset Boulevard

That should take her through the end of 2025. No doubt she will be competing against herself at the 2026 Tony Awards.

by Anonymousreply 557February 10, 2024 4:49 PM

Sutton Foster IS Aida!

by Anonymousreply 558February 10, 2024 4:54 PM

R557, how could you forget:

Cassie in A Chorus Line Rose in Gypsy Mame Velma or Roxie (and that would work)

by Anonymousreply 559February 10, 2024 4:56 PM

[quote] Velma or Roxie

Velma AND Roxie. At the same time

by Anonymousreply 560February 10, 2024 5:05 PM

This is kind of frightening. I've heard from more than one source Tyne Daly is on suicide watch. She was having enormous trouble with remembering her lines, is severely depressed and was found to be hoarding pills. In her fucking purse. Therefore the news blackout on her "hospitalization".

by Anonymousreply 561February 10, 2024 5:15 PM

Tyne ain’t been right since she divorced her husband. Getting that black dick kept her in a state of nirvana.

by Anonymousreply 562February 10, 2024 5:25 PM

I hope that's not true about Tyne but, if it is, Amy Ryan may have been approached about taking over earlier than last weekend.

by Anonymousreply 563February 10, 2024 5:35 PM

Why should Tyne be suicidal?

by Anonymousreply 564February 10, 2024 5:38 PM

Why shouldn't she, r564? Severe depression can happen to anybody for various reasons.

by Anonymousreply 565February 10, 2024 5:44 PM

[quote]I've never seen, or, more to the point, heard a modern production of Jesus Christ Superstar that comes within a mile of the original Broadway cast recording or the film soundtrack.

JCS started out as an album. I'm pretty sure that's always been the definitive version.

by Anonymousreply 566February 10, 2024 5:56 PM

Hold me, Tim!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 567February 10, 2024 6:03 PM

You lookin’ at me?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 568February 10, 2024 6:04 PM

Tyne Daly and Geo Stanford Brown divorced in 1990, though they share three daughters and remained friendly.

by Anonymousreply 569February 10, 2024 6:39 PM

R569 They divorced while she was doing Gypsy?

by Anonymousreply 570February 10, 2024 6:45 PM

[quote] JCS started out as an album. I'm pretty sure that's always been the definitive version.

Was there even an Original Broadway Cast Recording? I thought they just used the concept album.

There was a London Cast Re Recording

by Anonymousreply 571February 10, 2024 6:52 PM

Jesus Christ Superstar started out as a concept album in 1970, opened on Broadway in 1971, then transferred to London in 1971. Then was revived on Broadway in 1977.

by Anonymousreply 572February 10, 2024 7:00 PM

[quote]Was there even an Original Broadway Cast Recording?

The 1971 Broadway Cast Recording of JCS wasn't the complete score. Rather, it was a "highlights" disc.

With Ben Vereen as Judas and Jeff Fenholt as Jesus. Also Yvonne Elliman as Mary Magdalene and Barry Dennen as Pilate, who both sang on the original concept album and would later go on to star in film version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 573February 10, 2024 7:14 PM

[quote]Jesus Christ Superstar started out as a concept album in 1970, opened on Broadway in 1971, then transferred to London in 1971. Then was revived on Broadway in 1977.

..and McAnuff's Stratford production was transferred to Broadway in 2012

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 574February 10, 2024 8:29 PM

I almost feel bad for Sutton. The reviews on Twitter (except for rabid fangirls) are brutal. She should never have said yes to this.

by Anonymousreply 575February 10, 2024 8:34 PM

R575, You mean her career is in damage control based on one opening night performance?

It’s only a twelve week run, I’m sure she’ll survive.

by Anonymousreply 576February 10, 2024 8:44 PM

Sutton and Huge need to revive They're Playing Our Song which, coincidentally, turns 45 tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 577February 10, 2024 9:08 PM

R523 yes, the person who writes all of those broadway drag articles was delighted to see oh Mary!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 578February 10, 2024 9:43 PM

I saw JCS here. And I got a souvenir book.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 579February 10, 2024 10:01 PM

[quote]Sutton and Huge need to revive They're Playing Our Song which, coincidentally, turns 45 tomorrow.

It really needs two Jews. (Yes I know Lucie Arnaz wasn’t). Sutton and Hugh are two white bred and don’t project neurotic.

by Anonymousreply 580February 10, 2024 10:47 PM

What it needs is Sharon Scruggs.

by Anonymousreply 581February 10, 2024 10:49 PM

[quote]The Distinctive Baritone said: "I've now listened to the full audio of Tveit's "Barber and His Wife," "My Friends," and "Epiphany." He sounds...like Aaron Tveit singing the role of Sweeney Todd. He can hit the low notes well enough and of course has a gorgeous voice. But that's part of the problem for me (and was with Groban too): Sweeney is not supposed to sound like Frederic in The Pirates of Penzance. This is an operetta, and Sweeney is a bass-baritone role. It requires a darker, heavier sound than Tveit's honey-tinged golden tenor. Add in the fact that even at 40 years old and with a beard, Tveit is still boyishly handsome in a way that is just wrong for the role. He's a wonderful actor-singer, but simply miscast, as predicted."

by Anonymousreply 582February 10, 2024 10:50 PM

Is it surprising that "The Distinctive Baritone" feels that Sweeney requires a bass-baritone?

by Anonymousreply 583February 10, 2024 11:12 PM

Sutton already did THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG, opposite DL fave Seth Rudetsky, as a one-night "benefit" for the Actors' Fund or something.

by Anonymousreply 584February 10, 2024 11:16 PM

I’d rather see Sutton and Hunter Foster in Playing Our Song

by Anonymousreply 585February 10, 2024 11:19 PM

So how is the advance for Aaron and Sutton? I'm taking it, not that great if there's already talk of closing the show after their run.

by Anonymousreply 586February 10, 2024 11:31 PM

How did I miss this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 587February 10, 2024 11:35 PM

[quote]Is it surprising that "The Distinctive Baritone" feels that Sweeney requires a bass-baritone?

Sweeney is a man who has had a very rough life and has sworn revenge. A tenor just doesn't fit as well in this role

by Anonymousreply 588February 11, 2024 12:17 AM

It's too bad we never got a Joe Feeney Sweeney.

by Anonymousreply 589February 11, 2024 12:43 AM

With Norma Zimmer as Mrs. Lovett?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 590February 11, 2024 12:58 AM

Cunt

by Anonymousreply 591February 11, 2024 1:06 AM

R572 here.

Oy! That should say, "Then transferred to London in 1972."

by Anonymousreply 592February 11, 2024 1:32 AM

Has there ever been a black Mrs Lovett?

by Anonymousreply 593February 11, 2024 2:08 AM

Purely speculative, but is it possible that Tyne is in the early stages of Alzheimer's and is despairing about that?

by Anonymousreply 594February 11, 2024 2:09 AM

Josh Groban is only two years older than Aaron Tveit.

by Anonymousreply 595February 11, 2024 2:13 AM

Tyne is depressed because she heard that boot of Sutton’s Worst pies

by Anonymousreply 596February 11, 2024 2:16 AM

[quote]Sutton and Huge need to revive They're Playing Our Song which, coincidentally, turns 45 tomorrow.

Great idea. All the DL-ers who won't shut up about this completely mediocre and instantly forgettable show could finally see why it wasn't revived before.

by Anonymousreply 597February 11, 2024 2:23 AM

[quote]Mame with Morgan Brittany'

Morgan Brittany (billed as Suzanne Cupito) plays Baby June in the 1962 movie of "Gypsy." She grows up to be DL fave Ann Jillian, playing Dainty June.

by Anonymousreply 598February 11, 2024 2:27 AM

it's the last midnight

by Anonymousreply 599February 11, 2024 2:28 AM

BAJOUR!!!

by Anonymousreply 600February 11, 2024 2:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!