Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sarah Brightman's "Sunset Boulevard" announces full cast for upcoming revival

Full cast announced to join Sarah in lavish new production of musical masterpiece 'Sunset Boulevard!

Alongside Sarah, starring in this newly imagined revival, will be critically acclaimed actor and performer Tim Draxl in the role of Joe Gillis. The role of Max Von Mayerling will be played by stage and screen veteran Robert Grubb, with the role of Betty Schaefer played by emerging leading lady Ashleigh Rubenach. Musical theatre performer Jarrod Draper will play the role of Artie Green and Cecil B. DeMille will be played by established theatre actor Paul Hanlon. The role of Norma Desmond, at select performances, will be played by Silvie Paladino.

Joining them on stage will be the extremely talented ensemble cast including Regan Barber, Amy Berrisford, Billy Bourchier, Campbell Braithwaite, Benjamin Colley, Grace Driscoll, Madison Green, Peter Ho, Leah Lim, Mary McCorry, Charlotte Page, Morgan Palmer, Caity Plummer, Taylor Scanlan, Tom Sharah, Lisa Sontag, Troy Sussman, Riley Sutton and Dean Vince.

Director Paul Warwick Griffin says, ‘‘We are thrilled to present this superb cast for this newly reimagined version of the masterpiece that is 'Sunset Boulevard.' The caliber of artists we have assembled is extraordinary and I am very excited to see them bring our vision for this production to life on stage ... Having Sarah Brightman return to the stage in this iconic role is thrilling ... We are incredibly fortunate to have assembled a company of world class talent who will bring to life 'Sunset Boulevard's complex Suncharacters and hauntingly beautiful score.”

Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Tony Award winning musical, 'Sunset Boulevard' will premiere in Melbourne in May 2024 at the Princess Theatre followed by a season at the Sydney Opera House in August.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58May 31, 2024 3:55 PM

This link should work better ~

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 30, 2024 8:14 PM

They couldn't find a sexier Joe Gillis ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 30, 2024 8:16 PM

"Masterpiece?"

by Anonymousreply 3January 30, 2024 8:20 PM

Oooo this looks fantastic!!!

by Anonymousreply 4January 30, 2024 8:21 PM

I think i'm going to be ill... Sarah Brightman is terrible at her best, and the show itself is a dud.

by Anonymousreply 5January 30, 2024 8:43 PM

I’ve gone to the Nicole Scherzinger version five times already at the Savoy in small-town London. It’s that good!

by Anonymousreply 6January 30, 2024 8:49 PM

I saw John Barrowman as Joe Gillis. Jealous?

by Anonymousreply 7January 30, 2024 8:51 PM

Where the hell is Glenn's movie version!

If she believes in it so much why doesn't she get the funding together herself?

by Anonymousreply 8January 30, 2024 8:53 PM

Michelle Pfeiffer, Catherine Zeta Jones, and Vanessa Williams could all be Norma on film right now. This is Glenn’s Gypsy. Nicole Scherzinger turns 46 this year which is around the same age Glenn and Patti Lupone played Norma in the original broadway production. Of course ALW trolled Madonna for years about playing Norma.

by Anonymousreply 9January 30, 2024 9:13 PM

Catherine Zeta Jones? Surely, she’s too young and fresh.

by Anonymousreply 10January 30, 2024 9:17 PM

Will Sarah wear a turban or will she be covered in blood? Stay tuned.

by Anonymousreply 11January 30, 2024 9:23 PM

"Newly imagined." Fuck you, mate.

by Anonymousreply 12January 30, 2024 9:23 PM

Unfortunately, Broadway is getting the London revival this coming Fall, even though more fans want the Brightman production.

by Anonymousreply 13January 31, 2024 12:44 AM

[quote]Where the hell is Glenn's movie version!

It's being released the same day as Babs' "Gypsy."

by Anonymousreply 14January 31, 2024 1:08 AM

Tickets for the Scherzinger show in small-town London can be had for a song — just a few quid; even less if you can score yourself a press pass.

by Anonymousreply 15January 31, 2024 1:15 AM

[quote]Of course ALW trolled Madonna for years about playing Norma.

She plays Norma 24/7

by Anonymousreply 16January 31, 2024 1:19 AM

R15 I read from a few sources it was a flop in London. Of course, they're trying to keep that quiet not to ruin it for the potential Broadway audience. Do you know for certain ?

by Anonymousreply 17January 31, 2024 1:19 AM

ALW had two big flops with Bad Cinderella and the Aspects of Love revival. He didn't need a third with Sunset.

by Anonymousreply 18January 31, 2024 1:23 AM

Interesting. Can Sarah belt out these big numbers? Guess we'll find out. The guy playing Joe looks very talented...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 31, 2024 1:35 AM

This is what Tim Draxl looked like when he started his recording career. He's come a long way -- a lot of HGH and protein shakes. .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 31, 2024 1:48 AM

He needs to buy a vowel.

by Anonymousreply 21January 31, 2024 2:14 AM

Tim Draxl sang on " Rosie" when he was 19.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 31, 2024 12:52 PM

[quote]Unfortunately, Broadway is getting the London revival this coming Fall, even though more fans want the Brightman production.

That's so true. Americans are not going to be impressed by the bare-bones London transfer. We like big and lavish. Especially at those prices.

by Anonymousreply 23January 31, 2024 1:13 PM

Tim Draxl - I think we can agree this was a good choice

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 31, 2024 3:14 PM

Michelle Pfeiffer, Catherine Zeta Jones, and Vanessa Williams could all be Norma on film right now

No, you're wrong about that. Vanessa Williams would be an absurd choice.

by Anonymousreply 25January 31, 2024 3:23 PM

[quote]Michelle Pfeiffer, Catherine Zeta Jones, and Vanessa Williams could all be Norma on film right now

No, you're wrong about that. Vanessa Williams would be an absurd choice.

by Anonymousreply 26January 31, 2024 3:24 PM

At 34, I'm far too young!

by Anonymousreply 27January 31, 2024 3:36 PM

I get Sarah Brightman, Kate Bush and Helena Bonham Carter all mixed up. They’re all cuckoo British birds. They should advertise “Harry Potter’s Sarah, fresh from her induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!”

by Anonymousreply 28January 31, 2024 4:20 PM

Williams would make a great Norma Desmond on the Broadway stage. A few years ago, Susan Sarandon would have made an ideal Norma on film.

Is Glenn Close still pushing the film version for herself ? I guess we shall see in a few weeks - she usually 'updates' the press around Oscar time each year.

by Anonymousreply 29January 31, 2024 4:25 PM

I wonder what shape Sarah's voice is in. She has been lipsyncing her concerts (at least in part) for a long time, as her voice has diminished with age. Her voice would seem like an odd choice to sing the Norma Desmond role even at its peak?

by Anonymousreply 30January 31, 2024 5:11 PM

Her voice is always an odd choice.

There. I fixed it for your R30.

by Anonymousreply 31January 31, 2024 7:12 PM

I saw Sarah in a tour of the music of her ex-hubby. She was the headliner. This was before her big pop-opera solo career had begun. It was the early 90s. I do recall she belted some numbers surprisingly well -- like Macavity. But that was more than thirty years ago...?

by Anonymousreply 32January 31, 2024 7:46 PM

I have a CD with her singing 'With One Look' in Italian, as well as 'Surrender'. I believe it's from 1998? 99 ? It's beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 33January 31, 2024 7:52 PM

"Newly imagined." = don't mind our cheap sets and costumes.

by Anonymousreply 34January 31, 2024 7:54 PM

R17, I don't know what you were reading but it was generally regarded as the show of the year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 31, 2024 7:58 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 31, 2024 8:09 PM

Tim Draxl was born in Sydney and grew up in Jindabyne where his family was in the ski industry. He also spent winters in Austria. He attended high school at the McDonald College of Performing Arts.

Draxl is openly gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 31, 2024 8:20 PM

Tim Draxl (Live)

Three years ago...handsome and a great voice...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 31, 2024 8:24 PM

Tim Draxl's photo from Wiki...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 31, 2024 8:29 PM

Three years ago and today he’s a bit of a thirst trapping slut.

by Anonymousreply 40January 31, 2024 8:35 PM

R40. Why do you say that?

by Anonymousreply 41January 31, 2024 8:48 PM

R41, his Instagram, as thirsty as a drought in Darfur, is an intermittent source of scorn lust on DL.

To say he's "openly gay" is to say "Madonna is often late for work" or "the Grand Canyon is a big hole." He is gay from space.

This casting surprises me, as Australia is a big country, presumably filled with many actors. I thought he was making the best of WHET? only it turns out he's living Norma's dream.

Ya never know, do ya?

by Anonymousreply 42January 31, 2024 8:59 PM

Aussies will never go for a gay Joe Gillis.

by Anonymousreply 43January 31, 2024 9:10 PM

R42. Well, perhaps being out there got him noticed and having a great voice got him a great big job in a major Andrew Lloyd Webber musical.

Andrew Lloyd Webber probably had approval on him being hired, and Webber likely did not base hiring Draxl on his Instagram account.

by Anonymousreply 44January 31, 2024 9:16 PM

You sound upset, R44.

by Anonymousreply 45January 31, 2024 9:18 PM

Despite her successes, I could never take Brightman seriously as a vocalist or an actress. It's probably at least partly due to the Lloyd Webber nepotism.

Of course, Brightman was far from the best thing about "Phantom". The late Maria Björnson's scenic and costime designs were the real stars of "Phantom", during the entirety of its run.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46January 31, 2024 9:20 PM

I love the show but Brightman is a terrible choice. Her voice is too ethereal for the piece. And she can't act. Fucking Andrew has really paid off for her.

by Anonymousreply 47January 31, 2024 9:23 PM

Tim Draxl’s Conversations With Colour – Sexy Aussie Actor Talks About His Latest Art Exhibition “Soliloquy”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 31, 2024 9:53 PM

R45. I'm not upset at all. I was simply offering a response to this thread.

by Anonymousreply 49January 31, 2024 9:54 PM

Oh. You came across as upset. So glad I was wrong.

by Anonymousreply 50January 31, 2024 9:55 PM

Australia is a big country R42 but with a population of 26 million it’s mostly empty. Besides, according to the DL, all the Aussie actors are in LA.

by Anonymousreply 51January 31, 2024 11:38 PM

I’d wait ten years and do the movie with Anne Hathaway as Norma.

by Anonymousreply 52February 1, 2024 12:02 AM

Sarah Brightman IS Norma Desmond! Huh?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53May 31, 2024 3:09 PM

[Quote] But Sarah Brightman – who leapt to fame originating the role of ingenue Christine Daaé in Lloyd Webber’s Phantom of the Opera – is simply not up to the task in Opera Australia’s new production, her first major theatre role in three decades. Not physically, not dramatically and certainly not vocally.

The Guardian theatre critics have their claws out this week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54May 31, 2024 3:18 PM

Have Sarah Brightman and Megan Hilty not heard of Ozempic?

by Anonymousreply 55May 31, 2024 3:30 PM

Lea Salonga is the 80s megamusical ingenue who should be doing Norma Desmond - she’s got the voice and the knack for melodrama for it. I wonder if she’ll be parachuted in from Manila to save the day, like she was during the first Les Mis revival.

by Anonymousreply 56May 31, 2024 3:43 PM

R56, She's likely doing the Crazy Rich Asians musical on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 57May 31, 2024 3:51 PM

[quote]Lea Salonga is the 80s megamusical ingenue who should be doing Norma Desmond - she’s got the voice and the knack for melodrama for it. I wonder if she’ll be parachuted in from Manila to save the day, like she was during the first Les Mis revival.

So we can hear everyone bleat about woke casting?

Hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 58May 31, 2024 3:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!