Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Justin Timberlake’s Air of Desperation

As a musical guest on SNL, the star’s changed status in the pop-cultural universe was hard to ignore.

In the midst of trying to reboot his pop-music career after 2018’s poorly received album Man of the Woods, his persona has also undergone a cultural reckoning, especially in light of the revelations about him found in his ex Britney Spears’s memoir, among them that she got an abortion because he “wasn’t happy about the pregnancy.”

Timberlake has become emblematic of a casual mid-2000s white-male cockiness that doesn’t play as well in 2024.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56February 6, 2024 9:32 AM

Once upon a time, having Justin Timberlake on Saturday Night Live would have been a thrilling thing. In the mid-2000s, the pop star emerged as one of the show’s favorite recurring hosts, the kind of mega-famous celeb who seemed like he would be down for anything, such as dressing up in a giant mascot costume or putting his, ahem, dick in a box.

But the tide has turned on Timberlake.

by Anonymousreply 1January 30, 2024 4:31 AM

Jessica eats her meals in the shower to avoid interacting with Justin.

by Anonymousreply 2January 30, 2024 4:34 AM

He looks greasy

by Anonymousreply 3January 30, 2024 4:36 AM

How long before Jessica Biel leaves him?

by Anonymousreply 4January 30, 2024 4:41 AM

He was never talented. A teen pinup, for sure, but he just didn’t have the musical talent. White male privilege that, of course, didn’t age well.

He also thought he was the star of ‘The Social Network’, and a film career was his next step in stardom. As marginally talented as he is as an actor, it might beat his nasal, whiny singing voice.

Enjoy the money you made, Justin, and go back to the golf course where you belong.

by Anonymousreply 5January 30, 2024 4:42 AM

I love this - I never liked him and I really hated when he was considered a sex symbol. He wasn't ugly - but c'mon now.

He was also always just a bit too 'on' and too much.

Blech.

by Anonymousreply 6January 30, 2024 4:52 AM

I wonder how long the talented author of the Atlantic article, Esther Zuckerman, will last? She is the author of two books: "A Field Guide to Internet Boyfriends: Meme-Worthy Celebrity Crushes from A to Z" and "Beyond the Best Dressed: A Cultural History of the Most Glamorous, Radical, and Scandalous Oscar Fashion."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 30, 2024 4:55 AM

For limited talent and on borrowed time, he had a good run! Time to hang 'em up and move on.

by Anonymousreply 8January 30, 2024 4:56 AM

His eyes look weird now

by Anonymousreply 9January 30, 2024 4:59 AM

Whatever work he had done to his eyes is terrible, now he is constantly bug eyed

by Anonymousreply 10January 30, 2024 5:07 AM

That's why he gets along with Fallon, they both are desperate for attention/fame

by Anonymousreply 11January 30, 2024 5:13 AM

R10. he looks like Hugh Jackman. Or, at least, they share the same plastic surgeon.

by Anonymousreply 12January 30, 2024 5:28 AM

Why is it some sort of sin that he wasn’t happy about Britney’s pregnancy? Did he hold a gun to her head to make her get an abortion? No. What sane person would have wanted that crazy white trash heaux to start shitting out kids?

by Anonymousreply 13January 30, 2024 7:07 AM

Per the headline, I actually thought for a moment that “Air of Desperation” was the name of his new single or album!

by Anonymousreply 14January 30, 2024 8:10 AM

[quote]What sane person would have wanted that crazy white trash heaux to start shitting out kids?

Then the question really is, why was he fucking her in the first place?

by Anonymousreply 15January 30, 2024 8:15 AM

R15 because crazy is good in bed, but not as the mother of your children. The question the becomes why was he fucking her without a condom.

by Anonymousreply 16January 30, 2024 8:24 AM

R15, it was all for headlines and career advancement. Why was Nick Lachey engaged to Jessica Simpson?

Is Timberlake still rocking hair plugs and/or remnants of his 2010 hair transplant?

by Anonymousreply 17January 30, 2024 8:25 AM

I enjoyed both of his performances on SNL. The Atlantic article is what smacks of desperation.

by Anonymousreply 18January 30, 2024 9:23 AM

Hugh hasn’t had work.

by Anonymousreply 19January 30, 2024 9:49 AM

Justin’s eyes look weird.

by Anonymousreply 20January 30, 2024 10:02 AM

[quote] Man of the Woods

He’s from Florida and has the voice of a teenager.

Should be called “Boy of the Swamp”.

by Anonymousreply 21January 30, 2024 10:39 AM

more clicks for content

by Anonymousreply 22January 30, 2024 11:28 AM

Why so bitter?

Justin:

10 Grammies

4 Primetime Emmys

3 Brit Awards

9 Billboard Music Awards

Contemporary Icon Award by the Songwriters Hall of Fame,

MTV's Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award.

According to Billboard, Timberlake is the best-performing male solo artist in the history of the Mainstream Top 40.

by Anonymousreply 23January 30, 2024 12:45 PM

That's the entire article?

by Anonymousreply 24January 30, 2024 12:59 PM

But he's ugly. He's always been ugly.

by Anonymousreply 25February 4, 2024 10:25 PM

R7, try to imagine what a Millennial Atlantic writer who wrote "A Field Guide to Internet Boyfriends: Meme-Worthy Celebrity Crushes from A to Z" looks like. Now that you have a picture of her in your head, Google her.

I guarantee she's almost exactly how you pictured her.

by Anonymousreply 26February 4, 2024 10:35 PM

R10, I think his eyes look like that from alcohol bloat. Just a hunch.

by Anonymousreply 27February 4, 2024 10:45 PM

R26, true that is!

by Anonymousreply 28February 4, 2024 11:36 PM

Yes r26 you are 100% correct. Exactly what I was expecting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29February 5, 2024 12:17 AM

So agree about the very weird eyes. WTF is that?

Still, the article is bad. It start by analyzing in detail the scripted come downs to JUstin and stops where it should hve begun, given the tittle.

by Anonymousreply 30February 5, 2024 12:21 AM

I am so happy about this vanilla skim soy milk mostly foam latte’s downfall I could scream. I cannot stand him. How in the Sam holy Jesus did we go from Nirvana and Soundgarden to Britney (who I begrudgingly love) and THIS twat - who I gleefully hate.

by Anonymousreply 31February 5, 2024 12:27 AM

Justin always had an air of desperation about him, that's not new. He tried to act like he was from the hood ALL THE TIME in the earlier part of his career. It's a big reason I couldn't stand him.

by Anonymousreply 32February 5, 2024 1:03 AM

While Britney is doing a knife dance in her nightie on Instagram, I think Justin is doing just fine, thank you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 5, 2024 1:24 AM

Many white boys in FL in the 90s acted black. W****ers. JT was my obsession along with Eminem and Kid Rock. Silver chains, jerseys, basketball shorts with loose dick. I wanted to wear a Malcolm X shirt to my hs but my parents wouldn’t let me.

by Anonymousreply 34February 5, 2024 1:53 AM

So his crimes are advocating to abort an unwanted pregnancy and performing rehearsed choreography, maybe even created by Janet herself, as a consensual Super Bowl stunt? Oh, and being embarrassing as a white boy from FL in the 90s bc he used AAVE

by Anonymousreply 35February 5, 2024 1:58 AM

[quote]That's why he gets along with Fallon, they both are desperate for attention/fame

Did he fuck the football team too?

by Anonymousreply 36February 5, 2024 2:02 AM

R26, EZ writes pop culture pieces for thinking people and that causes pearl clutching on the DL? The hair is unfortunate but seems she’s lightened the color and let it grow a little wilder recently—changes to continue. Dark lipstick and big glasses a must. Can’t be easy.

by Anonymousreply 37February 5, 2024 2:04 AM

I never liked him and not because of the way he treated his white trash girlfriend. It’s nice to see him getting treated how he deserves

by Anonymousreply 38February 5, 2024 4:14 AM

Wow. A lot of hate on here for Timberlake.

His performance of "Sanctified" on SNL two weeks ago was amazing. And it was a live performance--no lip-syncing.

I am not a big fan, but he just might win an Emmy for a TV guest spot. It was that good.

by Anonymousreply 39February 5, 2024 5:47 AM

I thought this dance was his crime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 5, 2024 6:04 AM

It was hilarious how his people pushed him as a ladies man with the nickname Trousersnake.

Sad, pathetic and laughable.

by Anonymousreply 41February 5, 2024 7:58 AM

I remember the “Trousersnake” thing. There’s rarely much to be seen in the trouser department so Sizemeat verificatia might prove disappointing?

by Anonymousreply 42February 5, 2024 9:08 AM

R39, that was pretty good with some good moves too. see

R39, that was pretty good with some decent moves too! See Britney sample after

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43February 5, 2024 12:16 PM

His talent is limited- he is also one of the few entertainment celebs (whatever) who really pings. He gonged in the film Social Network. That said I have no idea about his sexuality. But if I had to wager; gay.

by Anonymousreply 44February 5, 2024 12:16 PM

Bret's contribution

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45February 5, 2024 12:18 PM

^Brit's

by Anonymousreply 46February 5, 2024 12:18 PM

To those here who believe the JT disdain has to do with an abortion... that's not why people who ha e had the misfortune of interacting with him dislike him.

He's a bona-fide a-hole.

by Anonymousreply 47February 5, 2024 12:34 PM

Karma after dissing N'SYNC, the band that put his ass on the map. Beyonce has reached superstar heights and living legand status, yet she still respects the impact Destiny Child's had on her career. She still keeps in touch with the last two, Supremes, I mean Destiny members. She knows her fans still love those songs and that good relations with your former bandmates is just good business. Even Michael Jackson would keep a brother in his shows and do a J5 song or two in his show. Even the 1D boys will do a cute little piece of their 1D work or wont trash on that part of their career.

So, I always thought, who the hell does Justin think he is?

by Anonymousreply 48February 5, 2024 1:34 PM

r44 I don't think his talent is limited, but I think it doesn't translate well to mid-40s dad bod pop singer. Male pop singer usually look ridiculous doing 20 year old pop songs. You need to find a way to keep it fresh. Justin going out in that hideous dad at a BBQ outfit in r40's post is an example of being out of touch. When he was in his early-30s or 20s, that look could work. But he's fatter, older, and slower. It's a mess.

Usher is his age, yet looks damn good and dresses the part in shows. You want to be old but play like a 20 year old, then dress the part, act the part, and get with the damn times. Justin acts and seems like a dinosaur from the 2000s.

by Anonymousreply 49February 5, 2024 1:37 PM

No, r44. He's got the talentless arrogance of a straight. Plus his sloppy affair was aired out in public recently, pics and all. Fuck that, we don't want him anyway. I wonder why Jessica stays.

R31:

[Quote] I am so happy about this vanilla skim soy milk mostly foam latte’s downfall I could scream.

Hahaha this is the best analogy of him.

by Anonymousreply 50February 5, 2024 3:50 PM

Any details, r47? I can't stand him.

Also, what are the rumors about his involvement when young with that pedo manager?

by Anonymousreply 51February 5, 2024 8:54 PM

R51, I've already aired out my JT story here several times, & don't feel like doing so again. Besides, that was over 20 plus years ago.

But word on the street is that he's still the smug little prick he was back then.

by Anonymousreply 52February 6, 2024 1:17 AM

r52 "I've already aired out my JT story here several times, & don't feel like doing so again."

Why did you bring it up in the first place?

by Anonymousreply 53February 6, 2024 2:52 AM

Yeah. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 54February 6, 2024 5:45 AM

To me it's fascinating. I never cared for him but I could see why others might like him. When I now see old footage of his concerts etc. I just don't see how he could ever be a star, how his music could ever have thrilled anyone. Do any of you have any clip where you still say "hell yeah" after all these years? Maybe you can change my mind. Otherwise, I think it's sort of common cultural embarrassment that we ever liked the thing, like with Vanilla Ice, which makes him a hard sell now.

by Anonymousreply 55February 6, 2024 8:08 AM

The article is cut off or something…

by Anonymousreply 56February 6, 2024 9:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!