Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I've given up on bottled water

It's just too damned expensive now.

I live in a very expensive city, and bottled water has gone up to $10.99 for a case of water.

That's just ridiculous.

Now I just drink tap water, and it's fine.

At first I was scared, because I had been drinking bottled water for so long. I was also worried about the taste.

But where I live, we have clean water and it tastes good. As good as the bottled water.

So, SCREW THE BOTTLED WATER COMPANIES!

I've been liberated. No more paying for water.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 29, 2024 6:25 PM

Get a Brita

by Anonymousreply 1January 29, 2024 12:32 AM

Airports charge over $5 for one bottle of water.

Can you imagine?

It's WA-TER. Not fucking gold.

by Anonymousreply 2January 29, 2024 12:32 AM

When my Brita filters run out, I may get a reverse osmosis device. I never buy bottled water.

The new Sans device has piqued my interest

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 29, 2024 12:34 AM

Our tap water is good. And COLD.

by Anonymousreply 4January 29, 2024 12:35 AM

I have a $20 Takeya water bottle that I fill it with Brita filtered water and add a Propel packet. I carry it everywhere. I'll never go back to bottled water.

by Anonymousreply 5January 29, 2024 12:39 AM

I'm starting to think that bottled water is one of the biggest scams and frauds in the history of mankind.

I can understand why people in Africa or Latin America or asia would need bottled water, but why would Westerners need it?

It's such a rip off.

by Anonymousreply 6January 29, 2024 12:39 AM

Pick one.

Glad we could help.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 29, 2024 12:42 AM

I have shitty tasting water from public water supply, chlorinated. I let it outgas in glass quart jars set out on the counter for a few hours and then it tastes better.

by Anonymousreply 8January 29, 2024 12:43 AM

It's the plastic waste that gets to me. Got a Britta filter pitcher and keep it in the fridge. Tap water tastes fine.

by Anonymousreply 9January 29, 2024 12:47 AM

Yeah bottle water is bad. I guess I'll look into getting a sans but I prefer it already purified.

by Anonymousreply 10January 29, 2024 12:48 AM

My dentist told me to stop drinking any filtered or bottled water years ago. Said tap water is fine and it has fluoride in it - excellent for your teeth.

by Anonymousreply 11January 29, 2024 1:05 AM

"I'm starting to think that bottled water is one of the biggest scams and frauds in the history of mankind."

Just realizing this? People are so dumb. We all get clean water from our tap (mostly). We pay for it and then idiots go out and pay AGAIN for water that is marketed as better for you because? Because what?

It's super easy to look up your city's water supply online and see what it contains. I do use Britta filters because they seem to help with taste for me. But not a single one of us who grew up in the 60's-80's drank anything other than tap water and most of us would drink straight out of the garden hose if we were outside and hot. And there's even more awareness today about what our tap water contains. Bottle water became a thing in the late 80s/early 90s and was never a thing that was necessary. Hell, most places had public water fountains that we all drank from as kids...Malls, Amusement parks, etc.

People who buy bottled water are the most gullible idiots on the planet. Unless you are told to avoid tap water in your area, there is zero need to purchase bottled water. And for those who say, "It tastes better" you don't realize the taste difference after a while as your body and taste buds get used to whatever water you are drinking. It takes about 2 weeks to adjust to different tastes in water. If you move to a new city, you will notice the water might taste different from what you are used to but after a few weeks, you don't notice it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 12January 29, 2024 1:32 AM

The recent epidemiological results support the notion that elevated fluoride intake during early development can result in IQ deficits that may be considerable. Recognition of neurotoxic risks is necessary when determining the safety of fluoride-contaminated drinking water and fluoride uses for preventive dentistry purposes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 29, 2024 1:34 AM

It's bizarro world when my city (Portland) is one of the very few that doesn't add the neurotoxin fluoride to their water supply, and it's treated as some kind of weird, freakish fetish by so many outside of Oregon

by Anonymousreply 14January 29, 2024 2:00 AM

I'm not a huge fan of Britta water filters since they still leave it tasting a bit off. I recently bought a ZeroWater filter and it is amazing. Crisp, delicious water.

by Anonymousreply 15January 29, 2024 2:07 AM

Until it leaks r15. The filter only lasts a few months. It's $30 bucks every quarter. The taste is nice but the leaking. The small pitcher design. I'd rather get an easier system for $100+ a year

by Anonymousreply 16January 29, 2024 2:12 AM

"elevated fluoride intake during early development"

So check the flouride in your water with a test kit. If it's high, don't give it to your kid. Not hard.

by Anonymousreply 17January 29, 2024 2:24 AM

A little Perrier here, a little Pellegrino there. In my dream house, I have mineral water taps like bars have for beer.

by Anonymousreply 18January 29, 2024 2:25 AM

You people are all so silly and lazy. I make my own.

by Anonymousreply 19January 29, 2024 2:31 AM

Bottled water contains all sorts of micro plastics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 29, 2024 2:34 AM

Why the hell were you drinking bottled water for so long?

I'm assuming you're talking about water that comes in small-ish plastic bottles.

Bottled water and tap water are not the only choices.

You can:

Have water delivered in 5-gallon jugs.

Get a Brita water filter pitcher.

Get one of those Berkey water filter systems.

Get a refrigerator that pumps out filtered water.

What a waste of plastic to drink bottled water.

by Anonymousreply 21January 29, 2024 2:41 AM

I have a Brita and refill my liter bottles and store in fridge. I used to buy new waters a couple times a year, but it’s so ridiculously expensive I may never buy water again. Reuse what I have until they spring a leak.

by Anonymousreply 22January 29, 2024 2:57 AM

Just make sure your water company takes measures against crypto sporidium and you'll be fine. Also worry if your city has old lead pipes.

by Anonymousreply 23January 29, 2024 3:27 AM

R12 you're absolutely right.

It's weird because the US has some of the cleanest drinking water in the world, but we have been so conditioned to drink bottled water, for some strange reason.

It feels good to go back to drinking tap water.

And best of all, it's FREE.

by Anonymousreply 24January 29, 2024 3:31 AM

Public water is not free.

by Anonymousreply 25January 29, 2024 3:34 AM

R25 if you live in a house or apartment, you're either paying for it yourself, or your landlord is paying for it.

So if it's already being paid for, then why pay MORE for bottled water?

by Anonymousreply 26January 29, 2024 3:36 AM

You'd have to believe they are more careful with their chemistry, but I doubt it.

Does anyone really believe "distilled water" is really that?

by Anonymousreply 27January 29, 2024 3:38 AM

Yes, r27. We have agencies that check the claims of products.

by Anonymousreply 28January 29, 2024 3:44 AM

Costco bottled water is like 4.99 for a lot of bottles.

by Anonymousreply 29January 29, 2024 3:57 AM

I wouldn't use bottled water at home, but traveling or hiking I need to have water that I might not be able to get another way. However, I don't understand people who use bottled water at home, unless their water tastes like shit. There are a number of communities in Florida where the water is notorious for its noxious odor and color, right out of the tap. I'd give them a pass or encourage them to buy a filter for their public water. I live someplace with delicious water. I pour tap water into a bottle and refrigerate it so that I always have cold water on hand, but through the majority of the year it comes out of the tap cool if not cold.

by Anonymousreply 30January 29, 2024 6:34 AM

I rarely drink the stuff, neither from a bottle nor from the tap.

If icy cold, water can be fine now and then. But bottled water from a store is usually barely cool and tastes like spit to me. Spit and plastic.

Unless it's exceptionally hot and I'm very thirsty and the bottled water is icy cold, I won't drink it.

I do like sparkling water with dinner, but there's usually wine as well.

Americans can be rather obsessed with their "hydration," turning something as basic as human thirst into some sort of life goal. The people in Europe carrying the giant plastic bottles and thermoses of water...Americans trained on The Big Gulp.

by Anonymousreply 31January 29, 2024 7:22 AM

I have cases of Evian liter bottles on subscription to my home and to my mom’s home

by Anonymousreply 32January 29, 2024 7:26 AM

OP - why don't you try something like this? It's $49.99

I have one of these in my fridge and always has lovely fresh filtered water on hand. You fill it with tap water and chill it. I just fill up a drink bottle when I leave the house. I love that damn thing. Saves heaps of money,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 29, 2024 7:32 AM

I found Brita filters on Amazon OP - they are even cheaper. I really recommend them and they have thousands of excellent reviews.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 29, 2024 7:34 AM

I drink filtered tap water but still have Evian shipped to be because it tastes better

by Anonymousreply 35January 29, 2024 7:47 AM

I've lived in places with chlorinated water and non-chlorinated water, and an interesting thing about chlorine, is that it keeps your toilet bowl cleaner for longer.

Something about the chlorine that keeps your toilet clean.

by Anonymousreply 36January 29, 2024 12:49 PM

OP- I’ve given up on Pepperidge Farm cookies 🍪.

A variety pack at Stop and Shop cost 💲 10!

by Anonymousreply 37January 29, 2024 12:51 PM

Op, you’re so brave!

by Anonymousreply 38January 29, 2024 2:42 PM

My tap water at home tastes fine. I just wish the city would add a touch of Zoloft and Buspar to the mix. People need to chill the fuck out.

by Anonymousreply 39January 29, 2024 3:32 PM

If you live in a state with clean water, you don't even need a Brita filter.

The water comes out perfectly delicious.

by Anonymousreply 40January 29, 2024 6:24 PM

I had my "come to Jesus" moment (s) about the stupidity of bottled drinking water about 20 years ago. At the time, I lived in a very old apartment building with kinda suspect pipes. I didn't care for the way the tap water tasted (which is to say that it had a "taste"), so I was regularly buying cases of Trader Joe's 1.5 liter bottles for drinking & cooking (which, by the way, is really Crystal Geyser under TJ's label).

Then, I learned two things:

1) It takes FIVE liters of water to produce a single, ONE-liter bottle of water (due to the process of making the plastic bottle & cap). So ridiculously wasteful.

2) UCLA tested something like 8-10 brands of bottle water, to compare the quality/purity to L.A. tap water. ALL of them had higher levels of contaminants & carcinogens (including hexavalent chromium-6) than L.A.'s tap water. (As I recall, Evian, Fiji, and Crystal Geyser were among the worst in terms of carcinogens)

I ran out & bought a Britta (or maybe it was Pur?) pitcher-filter at Bed, Bath & Beyond the following weekend.

Having said that, I can't completely avoid buying bottled water. I need distilled water for my Waterpick, iron & steam cleaner. Also: I keep a fairly substantial stash of one-gallon jugs stored in the event of a major earthquake, which I have to rotate out/replace every couple years.

by Anonymousreply 41January 29, 2024 6:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!