Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Watching “Little House on the Prairie” and Mary just went blind…

And this an era ended. NBC was about to cancel the show after this but the ratings for this two-parter ended up getting it renewed. And we got five more seasons as the show went further and further from its roots. (Not like it was ever slavishly devoted to the books anyhow…)

But with the intro of Albert, the slasher film like rape of Sylvia, the horrible tragedy of the School for the Blind fire (couldn’t they give Mary a break?) and then the apex of the nuttiness -Charles building an altar in the wilderness that God hits with lightning and restores comatose Jason Bateman to health, it was a bit much.

by Anonymousreply 328June 19, 2024 4:29 AM

[quote]NBC was about to cancel the show after this but the ratings for this two-parter ended up getting it renewed.

Untrue. When NBC moved Little House to Mondays at 8 p.m. in 1976-77, it demolished CBS's previous top-10 entrants Rhoda and Phyllis, forcing them to move to Sundays.

Little House was No. 7 in the ratings in 1977-78, the season Mary went blind. It was NBC's only top-10 show, and one of only three in the top 20. It was in no danger of cancellation.

by Anonymousreply 1January 27, 2024 3:50 AM

On t today’s cozy TV episode Mary has an infection of her intestines. She and Pa are taking the night train to Rochester Minnesota. She needs the best doctor and the best surgeon available.

by Anonymousreply 2February 6, 2024 2:21 PM

COZI TV, dear, not Cozy.

by Anonymousreply 3February 6, 2024 2:43 PM

Pa says he’ll sell the farm for Mary’s surgery

by Anonymousreply 4February 6, 2024 2:50 PM

Part 2 of Mary’s intestine on Cozi tv

Pa and Isaiah are gonna go to work creating underground tunnels to raise money to pay for Mary’s surgery at Mayo Clinic. I’m scared.

by Anonymousreply 5February 6, 2024 3:06 PM

March 22-24 2024 is Little House on the Prairie 50th anniversary on Cozi TV featuring cast members from the series all led by Melissa Gilbert!!!

by Anonymousreply 6February 6, 2024 3:11 PM

My grandmother was born in the 1890's and her favorite shows ca. 1978 were Little House On The Prairie and Grizzly Adams I'm not counting her STORIES ( Soap Operas like Days Of Our Lives)

She loves Mrs. Oleson on LHOTP.

by Anonymousreply 7February 6, 2024 3:11 PM

I sure hope Grassle shows up for the 50th anniversary celebration on Cozi!

by Anonymousreply 8February 6, 2024 3:12 PM

Karen Grassle is a HUMAN ROACH NEST!

by Anonymousreply 9February 6, 2024 3:13 PM

Update on Mary’s intestine episode on Cozi…

Ma is now working in the hospital laundry to help pay Mary’s hospital bill.

by Anonymousreply 10February 6, 2024 3:13 PM

[quote]Mary just went blind…

We warned her!

by Anonymousreply 11February 6, 2024 3:15 PM

R10- You are such a Little House On The Prairie

QWEEN !

and I approve ☺

by Anonymousreply 12February 6, 2024 3:17 PM

Ma is dedicated to her laundry work in the hospital. Ironing the sheets to her own satisfaction which is more than the hospital laundry maven requires. She’s dedicated to a fault. Sarah in laundry is urging Ma to go visit Martin the hospital and leave the damned laundry alone!

by Anonymousreply 13February 6, 2024 3:24 PM

Mary not Martin

by Anonymousreply 14February 6, 2024 3:24 PM

I watched the episode of “Little House: A New Beginning” when Nellie comes back. She is saddled with the worst wig!

by Anonymousreply 15February 6, 2024 3:27 PM

Tim Gunn interviews Ma!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 6, 2024 3:29 PM

R13 and R15 you're funny

by Anonymousreply 17February 6, 2024 3:32 PM

NBC didn’t understand their target audience.

Little House was first aired on Wednesday nights. It would have been a huge hit for Evangelicals with families. Except that Evangelicals are in Mid-week Prayer Meeting on Wednesday night. Finally, they moved it to Monday night, but the show was always pre-empted by football.

by Anonymousreply 18February 6, 2024 3:51 PM

I watched the Seadon 2 episode the other day when the Ingalls and the Olesons go camping. What was funny about it is that the director goes out of their way to show the gorgeous mountain vistas by their campsite. Ah, Minnesota!!!

by Anonymousreply 19February 6, 2024 4:15 PM

How filthy was Ma's snatch? Surely Pa didn't go down on her with only weekly baths.

by Anonymousreply 20February 6, 2024 4:22 PM

The pilot episode was a movie in itself that explained how they got to the prairie. It’s not to be missed.

by Anonymousreply 21February 6, 2024 4:27 PM

Agreed, R21. It’s excellent. It feels very cinematic.

by Anonymousreply 22February 6, 2024 4:29 PM

All Carrie does in the early episodes is smile and mumble unintelligibly.

Then they even cut her lines and she just stood there except for the episode where she kept fantasizing.

by Anonymousreply 23February 6, 2024 4:31 PM

I always got a creepy feeling from the show. There was something sadistic underlying there. And, Michael Landon had a "type" of pre adolescent boy he always seemed to cast on the show. Frankly, I think he was obsessed with Albert.

by Anonymousreply 24February 6, 2024 4:33 PM

R13, of course you know that you’ve hooked us, right? And we shall now expect your live posting of LHOTP episodes each and every day. We demand it. More! More!!

by Anonymousreply 25February 6, 2024 4:39 PM

Is it true that Pa said he would do literally anything, including renting Ma's front bum out to any man with the mullah, to pay for Mary's surgery?

by Anonymousreply 26February 6, 2024 4:41 PM

Please. Everyone knows Albert was the town pump.

by Anonymousreply 27February 6, 2024 4:45 PM

Why did Mary go blind?

by Anonymousreply 28February 6, 2024 4:55 PM

Because she saw Merlin Olsen and Pa bathing together.

by Anonymousreply 29February 6, 2024 4:57 PM

The show and the books both say it was the effects from scarlet fever.

Recently, it was determined that it was actually viral encephalitis.

by Anonymousreply 30February 6, 2024 4:57 PM

[quote] Why did Mary go blind?

Too much masturbation.

by Anonymousreply 31February 6, 2024 4:58 PM

Has Manly showed up yet? He’ll help with that hospital bill AND give Laura the big one.

by Anonymousreply 32February 6, 2024 5:13 PM

Pa could’ve rearranged my intestines back in the day!

by Anonymousreply 33February 6, 2024 5:20 PM

Albert was one of my first crushes as a young gayling.

by Anonymousreply 34February 6, 2024 5:21 PM

It was the cruelest writing to make Mary blind and then give her a sexy husband.

by Anonymousreply 35February 6, 2024 5:23 PM

Ma was a dedicated hospital laundress

by Anonymousreply 36February 6, 2024 5:25 PM

Grassle!

by Anonymousreply 37February 6, 2024 5:25 PM

R35- The REAL Mary Ingalls went blind in real life so it was not written just for the show. Unfortunately the real life Mary Ingalls did not have a HOT husband or any husband at all. She never got married.

So MARY was not MERRY nor would MARRY.

by Anonymousreply 38February 6, 2024 5:26 PM

I have a deep dark fantasy

Going up to complete strangers on the street, getting all up in their face and yelling “Grassle”! Then wait for their reactions. Thoughts??!

by Anonymousreply 39February 6, 2024 5:29 PM

R23 were you aware that Carrie was developmentally disabled?

by Anonymousreply 40February 6, 2024 5:31 PM

I wansha geddy smarkas!

by Anonymousreply 41February 6, 2024 5:32 PM

I like to think Carrie was retarded because Mary secretly beat her.

by Anonymousreply 42February 6, 2024 5:39 PM

Nobody ever seemed to mention that the schoolhouse and the church were the same building. Did they know?

by Anonymousreply 43February 6, 2024 5:57 PM

As pointed out, the real Mary Ingalls was never a wife or mother, she lived with her parents until their deaths, then, she was cared for by Carrie & Grace. Reportedly, Laura had little contact with her mother after her father's death & did not attend her mother's funeral. In the tv show,the Ingalls adopted a couple of orphans, in truth, they could barely afford to feed themselves. "Ma" came from a comfortable, middle class background, "Pa" started out poor & remained poor. Prairie trivia: Laura was the only one of the Ingalls girls who reproduced, she had one surviving child (Carrie had stepchildren).

by Anonymousreply 44February 6, 2024 6:13 PM

A good friend of mine told me that her mom beat her every Monday night just as Little House came on the air. She said the first few musical notes from the the opening theme triggered her mom into a fit of rage against her. My friend was a very large, fat child.

by Anonymousreply 45February 6, 2024 6:14 PM

The real Pa was a poor provider. If they’d just stayed put in Wisconsin, they may have been ok. But he had the wanderlust and those Big Woods were getting too crowded for him.

by Anonymousreply 46February 6, 2024 6:18 PM

[quote] A good friend of mine told me that her mom beat her every Monday night just as Little House came on the air. She said the first few musical notes from the the opening theme triggered her mom into a fit of rage against her. My friend was a very large, fat child.

You think she would have learned to switch the channel to "Stockard Channing in Just Friends."

by Anonymousreply 47February 6, 2024 6:31 PM

R44 sounds like Mary was always a burden to the fam.

by Anonymousreply 48February 6, 2024 6:39 PM

Not as bad as Melissa Sue Anderson!

by Anonymousreply 49February 6, 2024 6:41 PM

Almost all of Ingalls girls died of complications from diabetes.

by Anonymousreply 50February 6, 2024 6:45 PM

R49 Mary was Melissa Sue Anderson.

by Anonymousreply 51February 6, 2024 6:46 PM

[quote] [R49] Mary was Melissa Sue Anderson.

No shit! Really?!

by Anonymousreply 52February 6, 2024 6:49 PM

Why was Mary so mean?

by Anonymousreply 53February 6, 2024 6:56 PM

Who was the actress Landon threatened to write out in a buggy crash? She got too demanding and he said you can either be killed off or stop being so demanding

by Anonymousreply 54February 6, 2024 7:23 PM

R54 was it Grassle?

by Anonymousreply 55February 6, 2024 7:37 PM

R55 from what I understand Grassle always towed the line as she was grateful for the work

by Anonymousreply 56February 6, 2024 7:40 PM

R56 it had to be Anderson or Gilbert.

by Anonymousreply 57February 6, 2024 7:41 PM

R42, I just went to see Alison Arngrim’s one-woman show “Confessions of a Prairie Bitch” (which was hilarious, btw.) She showed a 90-second clip package of Carrie Ingalls babbling nonsensically, then said “Yes, ladies and gentlemen, it took two children to act that retarded…”

by Anonymousreply 58February 6, 2024 7:45 PM

Lmao r58! I always suspected Carrie was developmentally disabled.

by Anonymousreply 59February 6, 2024 7:46 PM

Someone on here posted the buggy ultimatum Landon delivered so cooly

by Anonymousreply 60February 6, 2024 7:47 PM

When I was a kid, I caught Scarlett Fever and was SO scared I was going to go blind thanks to Little House.

I didn't.

by Anonymousreply 61February 6, 2024 8:17 PM

Well Mary was involved in a buggy crash but her character ended up (inadvertently) saving the day. Landon really did put that character through the wringer - kicked by a horse, blindness, losing her baby in a fire, held captive by Jesse James. Was he taking story suggestions from Shitbra?

by Anonymousreply 62February 6, 2024 8:20 PM

In my vision, Landon even had an artist work up a storyboard sketch of the buggy crash to show the actress her head being crushed under the wheel.

by Anonymousreply 63February 6, 2024 9:04 PM

Grassle has said that her role was reduced after Season One when she asked for more pay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64February 6, 2024 9:25 PM

Landon was a piece of shit misogynist.

by Anonymousreply 65February 6, 2024 9:29 PM

Datalounge Book Club!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 6, 2024 9:31 PM

Bright Lights - Grassle

It wasn’t long before the rest of the cast and crew discovered the reason behind his boastful claims: The married actor was having sex with most of the cast members under the age of 18 . He was acting like a horny teenager even though he was pushing 50 years old. His libido was certainly off the rails says Grassle. He never even tried to fuck me. Not even once during all of the years we worked together. I was just old seafood to him. Melissa Gilbert didn’t get any either. That kind of made the harsh reality of being rejected because of my age easier to swallow. Mike didn’t like Gilbert’s gray teeth. He said they were a real wood killer

by Anonymousreply 67February 6, 2024 9:52 PM

Watching as an adult it’s so obvious carrie is retarded. When I was younger I just ignored her

by Anonymousreply 68February 6, 2024 10:34 PM

I think Grassle once said in an interview that she fought to make Ma more independent (which I think she got late in the series when Ma was the cook for the restaurant). I’m sure that rankled Landon.

by Anonymousreply 69February 6, 2024 11:58 PM

Was pa the one who molested Nellie?

by Anonymousreply 70February 7, 2024 12:20 AM

R70, Alison Arngrim was molested by her own brother!!!

by Anonymousreply 71February 7, 2024 2:27 AM

Grassle knew everything that went on the set. She was acutely tuned into all gossip.

by Anonymousreply 72February 7, 2024 7:15 PM

In Arngrim's book she mentioned what a prima donna Melissa Sue Anderson was and how upset she became over having to play a blind person.

by Anonymousreply 73February 7, 2024 7:21 PM

I took it and ran with it!

by Anonymousreply 74February 7, 2024 7:25 PM

Melissa Sue Anderson was the bitch of the entire cast.

by Anonymousreply 75February 7, 2024 7:33 PM

I was the only actress on this shitshow nominated for an Emmy so stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

by Anonymousreply 76February 7, 2024 8:22 PM

[quote]I was the only actress on this shitshow nominated for an Emmy so stick that in your pipe and smoke it! —Missy Sue

AND the category was Outstanding L*E*A*D actress. Lead!!

by Anonymousreply 77February 7, 2024 8:31 PM

Melissa Sue actually won a Daytime Emmy, so the only Emmy winner in the cast.

by Anonymousreply 78February 7, 2024 8:47 PM

Doesn’t mean jack shit. She was the biggest bitch in the cast. Nobody liked her. Common knowledge.

by Anonymousreply 79February 7, 2024 9:41 PM

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 80February 7, 2024 9:51 PM

R79 I’m just pointing out she’s actually won one. That doesn’t detract from her being a cunt. And she had to deal with Landon every day for six years, who I’m sure cunted her right back. She wasn’t asked back for the finale and that speaks volumes.

by Anonymousreply 81February 7, 2024 9:54 PM

The last time Mary appears is in a Christmas episode when they get snowed in. She barely figures into the story and goes to bed early and vanishes for most of the episode.

by Anonymousreply 82February 7, 2024 10:10 PM

Alison and Shitbra look pretty petty for bitching about how Missy Sue acted when she was a teenager.

by Anonymousreply 83February 8, 2024 1:52 AM

Only Allison and Melissa Gilbert have complained about Missy Sue Anderson, and it sounds like it was a case of a clique of two girls being mean to the outsider. Landon liked Anderson just as much as he liked Melissa Gilbert, and Gilbert even admits it.

All you have to do is read the entirety of "Prairie Girl" to see what a huge bitch Gilbert is. Her biggest complaint about Anderson is that Anderson never voluntarily bothered to explain to her what having your period was like (Gilbert never asked her). Gilbert STILL is not over it, and complains endlessly (just like she complains about everything and everyone in "Prairie Girl"). Arngrim says in her memoir that she would like to sit down with Anderson over a pitcher of daiquiris and just bury the hatchet, which is at least the adult approach.

by Anonymousreply 84February 8, 2024 2:08 AM

Mary was just bitter and deranged from having contracted syphilis when she fooled around with Bobby in that episode during the last season of “The Brady Bunch” that aired the year before “House” debuted on NBC.

by Anonymousreply 85February 8, 2024 2:11 AM

Someone upthread used the idiom”toe the line” in their post. I had to look it up and learned it’s actually “toe the line”. Kind of interesting if you care to click on the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86February 8, 2024 4:34 AM

[quote] Someone upthread used the idiom”toe the line” in their post. I had to look it up and learned it’s actually “toe the line”.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 87February 8, 2024 4:45 AM

I remember being impressed with Melissa Sue Anderson's acting- the "blank" expression on her face when she was blind. Then, I saw her in the movie Happy Birthday To Me and realized that blank expression was there even when the character she was playing could see!

by Anonymousreply 88February 8, 2024 4:59 AM

This show gave me nightmares, but I do remember really wanting to gargle Albert’s nuts.

by Anonymousreply 89February 8, 2024 5:06 AM

R85 Millicent! Fireworks! Skyrockets!

(I had a huge crush in Bobby Brady that gelled during that episode.)

by Anonymousreply 90February 8, 2024 5:40 AM

[quote]r28 Why did Mary go blind?

In the book I think it was some genetic thing. There’s no big drama where she stares at the sun too long or anything… her vision just starts to fade when she’s a teen.

by Anonymousreply 91February 8, 2024 5:48 AM

[quote]r39 I have a deep dark fantasy. Going up to complete strangers on the street, getting all up in their face and yelling “Grassle”! Then wait for their reactions. Thoughts??!

The name annoys me. I always heard it in my head rhyming with “hassle” but then I think I saw an interview where it was pronounced “grass-lee.”

Either way, it’s certainly intolerable.

by Anonymousreply 92February 8, 2024 6:04 AM

R20 I’m sure Pa’s stank sleeve wasn’t smelling like flowers either after a week of no bathing.

by Anonymousreply 93February 8, 2024 6:05 AM

Missy Sue at R76: “Stick that in your pipe and smoke it?!?!” Didn’t Albert and a carelessly discarded pipe burn down the blind school and turn your baby into a battering ram before he was burned to a cinder? You ARE heartless!!!

by Anonymousreply 94February 8, 2024 6:08 AM

I always hated the way Michael Landon laughed.

by Anonymousreply 95February 8, 2024 11:38 AM

I have one thing to say... GRASSLE!

by Anonymousreply 96February 8, 2024 12:28 PM

r90 millicent my ass

by Anonymousreply 97February 8, 2024 12:28 PM

r25 stay tuned for my take on today's episodes of Little House On The Prairie airing on Cozi-TV.

by Anonymousreply 98February 8, 2024 12:35 PM

I must know what Alison Arngrim thought about Grassle.

by Anonymousreply 99February 8, 2024 12:38 PM

[quote]The last time Mary appears is in a Christmas episode when they get snowed in. She barely figures into the story and goes to bed early and vanishes for most of the episode.

Not only that she doesn't even get her name in the opening credits, just a 'featuring' or 'with' in the post episode credits. Linwood Boomer did get his name in the opening credits so it seems like a deliberate slight.

by Anonymousreply 100February 8, 2024 12:47 PM

Michael Landon's weirdness cancelled out any hotness and/or sizemeats.

by Anonymousreply 101February 8, 2024 12:51 PM

I don’t see what Melissa Gilbert has to whine about. She formed her own production company and cast herself in tv versions of two of the most iconic roles for young girls: The Diary of Anne Frank and The Miracle Worker. Was she mad that she didn’t get to play Harriet the Spy?

by Anonymousreply 102February 8, 2024 12:55 PM

Anderson hasn’t been pleasant either. Years ago when she was promoting the POS TV movie “Earthquake in New York,” she was interviewed and she said how much she resented how Gilbert was getting all the offers for ads and promotions when they were little. She went out and said that Gilbert had the buck teeth and she didn’t.

It was like, Shots fired. Resentments linger.

by Anonymousreply 103February 8, 2024 1:03 PM

On today’s Cozi TV episode

The rain destroyed the damned crops. Time to pack up our shit and head 400 miles to the Dakota fields and pan for gold! Gold! Gold! I don’t think Pa and Mr Edwards can keep their families safe from all of the undesirables they encounter along the long arduous journey west. There are scammers ‘that’ll be $15 for 30lbs of flour” and whores who look the young boys and make rude gestures!

by Anonymousreply 104February 8, 2024 1:29 PM

R102 she was the most famous cast member outside of Michael Landon. She had a career long after the series ended and was president of the screen actors guild for years .

by Anonymousreply 105February 8, 2024 1:31 PM

Didn’t half pint also fuck Rob Lowe? How the hell did that happen?

by Anonymousreply 106February 8, 2024 1:43 PM

Remember Gilbert’s terrible sitcom with Rosie O’Donnell? “Stand by Your Man.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107February 8, 2024 5:08 PM

She floundered her way through a TV remake of Splendor in the Grass, too.

by Anonymousreply 108February 8, 2024 5:20 PM

No r107 I do not remember

by Anonymousreply 109February 8, 2024 6:00 PM

Did someone say FLOUNDER?

I love fish!

by Anonymousreply 110February 8, 2024 6:32 PM

Remember what happened to Sylvia?

by Anonymousreply 111February 8, 2024 7:42 PM

R106- Especially considering the fact that he’s a HOMO.

by Anonymousreply 112February 8, 2024 7:43 PM

If Mary wasn’t such a slut, she wouldn’t have caught the blindness-inducing STD.

by Anonymousreply 113February 8, 2024 7:50 PM

On every Little House thread, I just like to remind you all that I wanted Albert to my first.

by Anonymousreply 114February 8, 2024 8:08 PM

R113 is that really the reason?

by Anonymousreply 115February 8, 2024 8:13 PM

[quote] I just like to remind you all that I wanted Albert to my first.

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 116February 8, 2024 8:23 PM

r91, she had Scarlett Fever that caused her blindness later in life.

by Anonymousreply 117February 8, 2024 8:37 PM

Wasn’t Mary’s first love a ho?

by Anonymousreply 118February 8, 2024 8:38 PM

It was determined that she did not go blind from scarlet fever. It was viral encephalitis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119February 8, 2024 8:40 PM

Mary Ingalls rocking a middle part, such a trailblazer.

by Anonymousreply 120February 8, 2024 9:01 PM

Well that information would have helped 8 year old me when I got Scarlett Fever, r119. Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 121February 8, 2024 9:03 PM

Happy Birthday to Me is an outstanding film.

by Anonymousreply 122February 8, 2024 9:06 PM

R107 I bet that dressing room smelled GHASTLY!

by Anonymousreply 123February 8, 2024 9:13 PM

[quote] Scarlett Fever

Oh, dear.

Did the fever eat like a field hand at Twelve Oaks?

by Anonymousreply 124February 8, 2024 9:22 PM

Im not a fan of Isiah Edwards

by Anonymousreply 125February 8, 2024 10:29 PM

Neither r125 he always grossed me out. Has anyone ever been to Mankato? Is it as glamorous as little house makes it seem?

by Anonymousreply 126February 8, 2024 11:15 PM

Willie as a kid had a slappable face

by Anonymousreply 127February 9, 2024 9:37 PM

Willie was a fug kid but when I was a teenager I found him hot as a teen too

by Anonymousreply 128February 9, 2024 11:51 PM

Did you all enjoy Miss Beedle?

by Anonymousreply 129February 10, 2024 8:22 PM

I always wondered what lemon verbena smelled like. Can men wear it?

by Anonymousreply 130February 10, 2024 8:33 PM

Tell me about Beedle!

by Anonymousreply 131February 10, 2024 9:35 PM

The lemon verbena was to cover the stench of Jim Morrison in the Beadle bush

by Anonymousreply 132February 10, 2024 10:28 PM

Lemon verbena!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133February 11, 2024 6:53 AM

Grassle was a gorgeous woman especially without make up. Still is and I saw her up close in person in Oct at the CHILLER show. Landon liked them, let's say "flashy".

by Anonymousreply 134February 11, 2024 3:40 PM

Why aren't we talking about her- R134 won't talk about her because she was not GORGEOUS like Grassle.

Aww she couldn't get arrested as far as the men noticing/being interested in her

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135February 11, 2024 4:41 PM

[quote] Has anyone ever been to Mankato? Is it as glamorous as little house makes it seem?

In Mankato, all seemed to breathe freedom and peace, and to make one forget the world and its sad turmoils.

by Anonymousreply 136February 11, 2024 4:46 PM

R136- That sounds like Calgon bath salts.

by Anonymousreply 137February 11, 2024 4:51 PM

Apparently the crime rate of Mankato is pretty high. I guess some bad shit goes down there

by Anonymousreply 138February 11, 2024 7:06 PM

They’re callin’ it Man-ghetto. People looting the local mercantile, walkin’ out with bags of oats and barley hidden under their petticoats. Horse and buggies doin’ donuts and sideshows in the middle of the night.

by Anonymousreply 139February 11, 2024 7:19 PM

I actually know somebody who lived in Mankato for a few years in the '90s (she attended the university there). I don't think she exactly found it "glamorous"...

by Anonymousreply 140February 11, 2024 8:59 PM

Watch 50 yr old season 1 episodes of Little House On The Prairie starring Michael Landon, Melissa Gilbert, etc…. Do not watch the Superbowl on CBS, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 141February 11, 2024 11:15 PM

When LHotP take place (1880s), Mankato had less than 6000 inhabitants.

But they talk about it on the show as if it's big as Chicago or New York.

by Anonymousreply 142February 11, 2024 11:31 PM

R134 did you look into her eyes and see Carolyn Ingles?

by Anonymousreply 143February 11, 2024 11:32 PM

In what season did the Ingalls move to the big city?

by Anonymousreply 144February 11, 2024 11:48 PM

Season 5, R144. But that place was called “Winoka” or something like that. Was supposed to be in Dakota Territory.

by Anonymousreply 145February 11, 2024 11:53 PM

Was it really wise of Ma and Pa to leave their three little girls with Mr. Edwards when they took a second honeymoon trip to Mankato?

by Anonymousreply 146February 11, 2024 11:59 PM

I wish there was a world where we could have had a Deadwood Little House crossover

by Anonymousreply 147February 12, 2024 1:01 AM

John Jr. was murdered while investigating political corruption in Chicago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148February 12, 2024 1:16 AM

I love the episode where pa goes to the corrupt granage convention in Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 149February 12, 2024 3:34 AM

One day, Half Pint skipped school. She went around the back of the Mercantile and saw Mr. Olson and Pa doing it.

She vowed never to skip school again and become a teacher as penance.

by Anonymousreply 150February 12, 2024 3:38 AM

A young Ma in her Broadway debut, with Diana Sands and George Grizzard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151February 12, 2024 3:40 AM

R151- So pretty back then.

by Anonymousreply 152February 12, 2024 3:48 AM

[quote] One day, Half Pint skipped school. She went around the back of the Mercantile and saw Mr. Olson and Pa doing it.....She vowed never to skip school again and become a teacher as penance.

Wrong, that was Mary, and that's why she went blind!

by Anonymousreply 153February 12, 2024 4:21 PM

Mary went blind from too much masturbation. Constantly fapping off thinking about those field hands on the next farm over.

by Anonymousreply 154February 12, 2024 4:26 PM

The show overall was a fascinating look at the historical development of the nation during the period of westward expansion.

My favorite episode is where the tornado killed the clown kitten just as it was praying over the grave of the baby that came back to life as a vampire and assassinated Grover Cleveland (not the US President, the Sesame Street character and the entire city of Cleveland) before colonizing Mars via covered wagon.

Alison Angrim has an unforgettable 15 minutes as a pole dancer with irritable bowel syndrome and too-tight stilettos.

by Anonymousreply 155February 12, 2024 5:07 PM

Breaking….

Landon didn’t fuck Grassle.

by Anonymousreply 156February 12, 2024 7:48 PM

Don't quit your day job, R155.

by Anonymousreply 157February 12, 2024 8:48 PM

[quote] Landon didn’t fuck Grassle.

Not everyone gets that privilege.

by Anonymousreply 158February 12, 2024 8:48 PM

R158- and everyone on datalounge, check out this Karen Grassle tells all video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159February 12, 2024 11:41 PM

Mankato is probably a very erotic place

by Anonymousreply 160February 13, 2024 1:06 AM

I'm telling ya. Landon had a thing for floppy haired fair lads with full lips. He cast them left and right.

by Anonymousreply 161February 13, 2024 1:25 AM

I watched that recently. The Abandoned Daughters in the theater sign when Laura goes to Mankato in Haunted House. Her pig tails are obnoxious when she's older.

Michael Landon was really nice for someone who had to run home and take his bed wetting sheets down because his mom was crazy.

by Anonymousreply 162February 13, 2024 1:38 AM

There's another episode where Mary gets glasses and is called four eyes. She hides her glasses in a log after Nellie teases her she'll never get married.

Then a gentleman attorney caller comes to see her teacher Mrs. Beadle and they make out in the school room. The gentleman gives Mary a flower and tells her if she were older he'd get with her. She happily runs back to wear her glasses.

by Anonymousreply 163February 13, 2024 1:44 AM

There's another episode where Pa takes Laura on a trip. He leans his gun against a tree and Laura trips on it and shoots him. She tries to go back to get help with the horse. They climb up a ledge and the horse tumbles down with her Pa and dies.

Then a fat blind man is forced to help them.

by Anonymousreply 164February 13, 2024 1:46 AM

Another episode they move to some town because the mill dries up or something. Everyone is in town by the saloon. It's noisy. Albert lives under the stairs. Some fireworks go off and they return home where they can be free.

by Anonymousreply 165February 13, 2024 1:48 AM

Juicy Clit On The Prairie

by Anonymousreply 166February 13, 2024 1:53 AM

R164, that “fat blind man” was Oscar-winning actor Burl Ives.

by Anonymousreply 167February 13, 2024 2:01 AM

R167 No, it was Mr Ethel Merman Ernest Borgnine.

by Anonymousreply 168February 13, 2024 2:09 AM

I remember MAD Magazine did a satire of the show titled "Little House Oh, So Dreary". That satire was more entertaining than the show itself.

by Anonymousreply 169February 13, 2024 2:16 AM

I wish they had stretched Albert’s. Morphine addiction out longer. I wanted to see him resort to hustling on the streets of walnut Grove.

by Anonymousreply 170February 13, 2024 3:13 AM

Albert and Alonzo were so hot.

by Anonymousreply 171February 13, 2024 3:30 AM

[quote]I wish they had stretched Albert’s. Morphine addiction out longer. I wanted to see him resort to hustling on the streets of walnut Grove.

If Albert had just offered himself up to confirmed bachelor Doc Baker he never would have had to steal the morphine in the first place

by Anonymousreply 172February 13, 2024 3:41 AM

R169 "pass the bacon and beans"

"Pass the ham and beans"

"Pass the pork and beans"

"Pass the bbq'd beans"

"Pass the baked beans"

"Pass the Air Wick!"

by Anonymousreply 173February 13, 2024 4:31 AM

There was another episode where it blizzards all of the sudden. Ms. Beadle let's the kids out early. They trudge through the snow. A dad dies looking for his kid. The men tell the womenfolk to stay in the school and tend to the frostbitten. Mr. Edwards returns all happy. Pa notices the woman who lost her husband is sad. He grabs a Bible and reads a passage something about Christmas baby, as if that would help.

by Anonymousreply 174February 13, 2024 4:35 AM

Another episode the bitchy, rotten Nellie Olsen who Laura pushed down a hill in wheelchair is suddenly sweet and nice and has a shop with Laura's Ma and loves when her husbands mean to her and calls her fat when she's pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 175February 13, 2024 4:38 AM

I recall the first episode being about the Ingalls family moving to Walnut Grove, them meeting the townsfolk.

Then, Pa got injured and wasn't able to deliver on some work that he'd promised. He was out there in the field trying in vain to get it done.

He couldn't.

Then...all the townsfolk showed up and did the job for him. It brought tears ot my eyes. People helping people because it was the right thing to do. They'd found a home.

Nellie always got her comeuppance in future shows -- Alison Arngrim deserved an Emmy; and Katherine MacGregor, too.

But then the show got dark; Mrs. Garvey and the baby dying; Albert's addiction. Yikes. Didn't the whole town blow up in the end? Okay. We get it. the show is OVER.

I did think Nellie was especially cunty after she saw Laura overhear Albert call her beloved Pa "Pa!"

"Well," Nellie sneered as if she loved to hone in on people's weaknesses. "Your father always wanted a son. NOW! HE HAS ONE!"

Cut to Nellie with a cold steak over her black eye.

by Anonymousreply 176February 13, 2024 4:38 AM

There was another episode when teenage Albert is accused of rape. In the rain or some dramatic scene her dad's trying to kill or something and lightning is going off and he's like I swear, I didn't I swear. And raped girls pa is like.... Well, alright son if you swear, I guess I believe you.

Then it ended and the girl got no therapy except a Bible.

by Anonymousreply 177February 13, 2024 4:43 AM

I liked Mary's blind husband.

Later an explosion restored his sight and he became a lawyer. He sees Mary for the first time and thinks she's beautiful with a face full of distracting peach fuzz hair.

Later on he goes on to create Malcolm in the Middle based on his life as a gifted boy genius and make millions.

by Anonymousreply 178February 13, 2024 4:53 AM

Did Lee Bouvier or anyone interesting ever guest star on Little House?

by Anonymousreply 179February 13, 2024 5:36 AM

R177 What therapy did you want Sylvia to get? She was dead at the end of the episode.

by Anonymousreply 180February 13, 2024 5:49 AM

[quote]What therapy did you want Sylvia to get? She was dead at the end of the episode.

Cryogenic?

by Anonymousreply 181February 13, 2024 6:35 AM

I’d rather see Leigh Bowery star on LHOP

by Anonymousreply 182February 13, 2024 8:00 AM

My mom wouldn't allow me to watch LHOP when I was a child. She said, "They're a bunch of bitches".

by Anonymousreply 183February 13, 2024 12:16 PM

A bunch of IGNORANT bitches!

by Anonymousreply 184February 13, 2024 5:01 PM

…. sun bonnets make me sick ….

by Anonymousreply 185February 13, 2024 5:02 PM

I always thought the Ma on the show was about 20 years older than Landon.

by Anonymousreply 186February 13, 2024 5:12 PM

How often do you think blind Mary and her blind husband had surprise anal?

by Anonymousreply 187February 13, 2024 7:46 PM

I never watched more than a few minutes of that show, I would prefer to go blind. God what bad TV.

by Anonymousreply 188February 13, 2024 7:48 PM

Remember when the fat lady in the circus visited the blind school and she turned out to be Mr. Olson’s sister?

You couldn’t get a storyline like that on today’s tv.

by Anonymousreply 189February 13, 2024 7:49 PM

I once saw Melissa Gilbert in an interview. She said when she went to audition for Little House that she was just told it was a western. She apparently had read the Little House books.

I guess in the audition when her character was called Half Pint, she wasn’t smart enough to realize what show they were casting for. Apparently Sister Carrie wasn’t the only slow wit in the cast.

by Anonymousreply 190February 13, 2024 7:53 PM

Nellie was a brat. Nancy was a psycho.

by Anonymousreply 191February 13, 2024 8:45 PM

Nellie’s husband died of AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 192February 13, 2024 8:47 PM

I agree r188 I knew it was smarmy shit when I was 4 yrs old.

by Anonymousreply 193February 14, 2024 12:05 AM

Pluto just added a LHotP channel.

by Anonymousreply 194February 14, 2024 10:37 AM

r194 I couldn't sleep last night and turned it on around 1:00 am. This is what I witnessed.

Miss Beedle was humiliated that she couldn't keep the older, teenage male students in line so she quit. The crackerjack Walnut Grove school board hired a mean, old school marm to take her place. Harriett Olsen invited the strict old bastard to dinner where she and Nellie threw shade on Laura Ingalls, half-pint, saying she was a brown-noser during Miss Beadle's tenure. as well as a big-ass troublemaker. Mean Mr School Marm took note. When he couldn't keep the older boys in class in line, he took out his frustrations on poor Laura Ingalls. He beat her with a ruler in front of the class, made her write repetitive lines of repentance on the chalkboards., and later attempted to cane her! Pa intervened at just the moment he was getting ready to beat the hell out of her and cracked the cane over his knee then proceeded to tell Mr School Marm that he was gonna take it to the "school board". Well, as it turned out school marm showed his ass during the school board meeting by throwing a big temper tantrum in front of everybody and thus resigned immediately. Pa went to Miss Beadle's boarding room after the meeting and talked her into returning to her teaching position. She did and magically the older boys in class behaved themselves because they had a change of heart after being briefly taught by a crotchety old man who punished Laura for all of their bullshit antics. I know, it's all preposterous. It was a dumb-ass episode but it held my attention until I fell asleep.

by Anonymousreply 195February 14, 2024 12:43 PM

Omg I’m watching it on Pluto tv now….

A new student named Bubva who looks to be around 16 or 17 yrs old is the new school bully. He slapped Mary down to the ground giving her a black eye during a heated dispute during an aggressive dodge ball game.

by Anonymousreply 196February 14, 2024 7:10 PM

Bubba

by Anonymousreply 197February 14, 2024 7:11 PM

Bubba the bully and Nellie are now dating

by Anonymousreply 198February 14, 2024 7:28 PM

Omg

Bubba’s older adult brothers saw Carolyn walking wearing her dumb bonnet and carrying a basket of eggs. They accosted her smashed her basket of eggs then both rubbed egg on her face. Ma acted as though she had been gang raped and took off like she was shot out of a cannonball back home.

by Anonymousreply 199February 14, 2024 7:33 PM

“They raped me”

by Anonymousreply 200February 14, 2024 7:34 PM

Charles Ingalls on the warpath on his way to beat the shit out of the Gallan bros for touchin Ma’s face and/or raping her

by Anonymousreply 201February 14, 2024 7:35 PM

Fight of the century on little housr

by Anonymousreply 202February 14, 2024 7:36 PM

Isiah is on the move!

by Anonymousreply 203February 14, 2024 7:37 PM

Pa almost got killed over Ma’s overreacting

by Anonymousreply 204February 14, 2024 7:38 PM

The bullies last name is Gallander

by Anonymousreply 205February 14, 2024 7:39 PM

I remember the creepy episode where a much older boy who doesn’t own any shoes attends the Wal Nut Grove school and Laura has the hots for him. She’s like 10 in this episode and nobody is concerned as she tries to romance him. It turns out he wants Mary who is like 12.

by Anonymousreply 206February 14, 2024 7:49 PM

[Quote] Ma acted as though she had been gang raped and took off like she was shot out of a cannonball back home

😆 😂 😝

by Anonymousreply 207February 14, 2024 7:52 PM

They blew up the town's buildings in the last TV movie because Michael Landon was so angry at the network he wanted to make sure they did not make use of the sets again for other shows.

He was a really strange man.

by Anonymousreply 208February 14, 2024 7:53 PM

Wait until you get to the episode where Ma thinks she's pregnant again, only to find out it's menopause. That is one strange episode. Especially for a family show.

by Anonymousreply 209February 14, 2024 8:48 PM

Laura and a fat old blind man are hiking across Minnesota

by Anonymousreply 210February 14, 2024 9:00 PM

Pa is shirtless lying in a stream

by Anonymousreply 211February 14, 2024 9:05 PM

[quote]Pa is shirtless lying in a stream

Gay cruising was much different back then.

by Anonymousreply 212February 14, 2024 9:06 PM

R212- Did you know that Mr. Edwards and Charles Ingalls were FUCK BUDDIES well before Charles met and wed Caroline.

by Anonymousreply 213February 14, 2024 9:11 PM

Is it normal to cry like a 50 yr old baby watching an especially touching episode?

by Anonymousreply 214February 14, 2024 9:12 PM

Executive producer Michael Landon my ass!

by Anonymousreply 215February 14, 2024 9:14 PM

A Christmas episode is on now… a blizzard is headed to Walnut Grove! I’m scared!

by Anonymousreply 216February 14, 2024 9:16 PM

There's an episode where Mrs. Oleson tries to stop Reverend Alden from getting married, and you find out at the end of the episode it's because her heart was broken as a young woman when she was engaged to a minister who ultimately would not marry her because he thought it would compromise his calling. I defy almost anyone to watch it without crying.

by Anonymousreply 217February 14, 2024 9:18 PM

[quote] A Christmas episode is on now… a blizzard is headed to Walnut Grove! I’m scared!

"But when the children left the school, the weather was fine!"

--Miss Beadle, lamely trying to excuse herself for sending several Walnut Grove children TO THEIR DEATHS

by Anonymousreply 218February 14, 2024 9:19 PM

Their houses were just a bunch of nailed together 2x4s. No insulation or anything. You could see light through the wood slats. In Minnesota!

by Anonymousreply 219February 14, 2024 9:19 PM

Pa is nailing together painted saw horses for gifts

by Anonymousreply 220February 14, 2024 9:24 PM

This blizzard episode is making me cold! Had to turn my heat up.

by Anonymousreply 221February 14, 2024 9:41 PM

An episode titled quarantine just started

by Anonymousreply 222February 14, 2024 11:03 PM

Quarantine is a good one

by Anonymousreply 223February 14, 2024 11:09 PM

It started blizzarding all of the sudden.

OH, dear.

by Anonymousreply 224February 14, 2024 11:50 PM

Carrie fell in to a well long before Baby Jessica.

by Anonymousreply 225February 14, 2024 11:56 PM

I just watched the blizzard one today as well. As IMDb points out, that little shack the Ingalls girls take refuge in would have gone up in an instant when they lit the fire on straw in the floor. The whole floor was straw, there’d be no containing that.

by Anonymousreply 226February 15, 2024 12:03 AM

Also on the blizzard episode ending- the woman’s husband died and Charles reads from the Bible and I guess it’s all supposed to be ok?

by Anonymousreply 227February 15, 2024 12:04 AM

Yes, in the haunted house episode there's a crazy man. He lives in a tattered mansion. He sees visions of his beautiful actress wife dancing. He talks to her in the mirror.

Nellie dares Laura to touch the house, and Laura helps him clean house. She finds out the wife is dead. He's sad. She leaves him bible and he goes to church. He scares Nellie at the window.

by Anonymousreply 228February 15, 2024 2:47 AM

That show had lots of stupid characters and bad acting

by Anonymousreply 229February 16, 2024 12:54 AM

[quote]That show had lots of stupid characters and bad acting

And ran for 9 seasons and a couple of sequels. Schlock sells, especially if it’s billed as family drama and gets a frau following. Baby battering ram aside, 1970s women liked melodrama, and Little House served up three hankies worth.

by Anonymousreply 230February 16, 2024 1:02 AM

What did they wipe with at that time

by Anonymousreply 231February 19, 2024 1:38 PM

Cozi TV today shows Ma and Pa visiting Mary at the school for the blind. Seems like Mary accepted her being blind and is now fucking her cute and very young teacher. Now she’s going off with him to start their very own school for the blind in Timbuktu

by Anonymousreply 232February 19, 2024 1:43 PM

Mac& Pa just decided to move from Walnut Hell Grove to the city for work

by Anonymousreply 233February 19, 2024 1:49 PM

Lindsay Sidney Greenbush as Cary,

by Anonymousreply 234February 19, 2024 2:01 PM

Carrie: [drops a forkful of food] Oh FUCK!

Ma: Don’t you ever let me hear you say fuck again!

Carrie: I’m sorry, damnit.

Laura: She’s stupid and says whatever pops into her head.

by Anonymousreply 235February 19, 2024 2:13 PM

Carrie: [needing to use the outhouse] Laura, I can’t wait much longer!

Laura: Well, It won’t take long. Just go sit down and think about something else.

Carrie: I can’t!! I’ve gotta unload! Hurry up! Pinch it off!

by Anonymousreply 236February 19, 2024 2:18 PM

The worst thing about watching this show on Cozi-TV is their horrible senior focused commercials. The long running Life Alert commercial is among the worst.

by Anonymousreply 237February 19, 2024 2:21 PM

Pa: What’s your name?

Albert: Albert. I’m a bastard.

by Anonymousreply 238February 19, 2024 3:38 PM

Mary says she has everything she could ever wish for.sweet 16

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239February 19, 2024 3:59 PM

My ass goes from 2 daily episodes of Little House On The Prairie on CoziTV to at least an hour of The Walton’s on MeTV. One year ago I would have never ever imagined I’d be watching these old period themed shows from the 70s-early 80s at 50 yrs of age. I never watched these shows as a small child. I guess I’m old, nostalgic, looking for comfort-style shows that are easy on my stressed brain. 🥺

by Anonymousreply 240February 19, 2024 4:06 PM

R240, as crazy as the plots are, both the Waltons and Little House take us back to a simpler time. They are comfort tv which takes us away from the electronic age and from the confusion in the world.

by Anonymousreply 241February 19, 2024 4:32 PM

Mary’s blindness needs room

by Anonymousreply 242February 19, 2024 9:33 PM

I watch several hours of Little House because it relaxes me whole body!

by Anonymousreply 243February 19, 2024 10:53 PM

R239’s picture could easily be captioned: Straight Outta Plathville

by Anonymousreply 244February 19, 2024 11:01 PM

Mary went Blonde?

The hussy!

Also, Hydrogen Peroxide fries the fuck out your hair. And touching up the roots? A nightmare!

Sis, don’t do it!

by Anonymousreply 245February 19, 2024 11:09 PM

Right after she goes blind she gets a face full of peach fuzz

by Anonymousreply 246February 19, 2024 11:20 PM

I was that little cunt!

by Anonymousreply 247February 19, 2024 11:25 PM

R246. Daisy chain, daisy chain…

by Anonymousreply 248February 19, 2024 11:25 PM

Mary had glassy looking eyes. Mean.

by Anonymousreply 249February 19, 2024 11:30 PM

I missed today’s episodes on Cozi. I might watch one episode on Pluto Tv via the LHOTP channel.

💩

by Anonymousreply 250February 20, 2024 5:44 PM

Mrs. Olsen was born in the 20s. No wonder she looks over 50.

by Anonymousreply 251February 21, 2024 1:52 AM

I had scarlet fever as an infant in the late '70s—Little House's heyday!—which I later learned is just strep throat that progresses because your dumbass parents don't realize you have strep throat.

I remember my grandmother later saying, "He didn't have scarlet fever, he had scarlatina!" Which is the same thing, and makes me think she was babysitting and responsible for the neglect.

In any case, my kidneys have been borderline fucked up for my entire adult life, and I blame those twats.

And Michael Landon and Karen Grassle, who should have done a PSA about scarlet fever!

by Anonymousreply 252February 21, 2024 7:00 AM

All nine seasons are on Amazon Prime, including the pilot movie and the two epilogue movies.

by Anonymousreply 253February 21, 2024 1:44 PM

There's an episode with William Randolph Hearst! Right after the town gets poisoned by anthrax!

by Anonymousreply 254February 21, 2024 5:10 PM

R252, that sounds scary.

Scarlet Fever rendered Maureen Reardon Bauer unable to carry a baby to term.

by Anonymousreply 255February 21, 2024 5:45 PM

Pa would sometimes look mean like an Indian on the warpath.

by Anonymousreply 256February 21, 2024 6:07 PM

I tried to watch the final movie that aired- the Christmas one. (It wasn’t the final one filmed.). But it was ridiculous and I stopped. It was filmed when everything was in full bloom and the trees were completely green and they said it was warm winter. They couldn’t even try to make it look like Minnesota in winter. Plus, no Mrs. Oleson.

by Anonymousreply 257February 21, 2024 6:11 PM

It’s Founder’s Day in Walnut Grove

Ma entered her pie. Others will taste it.

by Anonymousreply 258February 21, 2024 6:48 PM

Pa’s going to town on his wood

by Anonymousreply 259February 21, 2024 7:02 PM

Some old man wants to be “bull of the woods” in the Founder’s Day episode. I guess if you chop wood you are bull

by Anonymousreply 260February 21, 2024 7:11 PM

[quote]I tried to watch the final movie that aired- the Christmas one. (It wasn’t the final one filmed.). But it was ridiculous and I stopped. It was filmed when everything was in full bloom and the trees were completely green and they said it was warm winter. They couldn’t even try to make it look like Minnesota in winter. Plus, no Mrs. Oleson.

Were the final movies filmed before they blew up the town?

by Anonymousreply 261February 21, 2024 7:52 PM

R261, the final movies were 1. about Albert getting leukemia, 2. the Christmas one, and 3. the one where they blew up the town. But the Christmas one aired last.

by Anonymousreply 262February 21, 2024 7:58 PM

[quote]1. about Albert getting leukemia,

They couldn't leave anyone on that show with a happy ending, could they?

by Anonymousreply 263February 21, 2024 8:35 PM

Pa: what numbers did I write on the blackboard?

Mary: I can’t see em, Pa! I can’t see em!

by Anonymousreply 264February 21, 2024 8:35 PM

Pa: what numbers did I just write on the blackboard?

Mary: 69! You nasty daddy you!

by Anonymousreply 265February 21, 2024 8:37 PM

Pa: what numbers did I write on the blackboard?

Mary: Your salary is $0.

by Anonymousreply 266February 21, 2024 8:42 PM

Miss Beadle: I hope you find comfort with your pussy in the same way I found comfort and joy with mine.

by Anonymousreply 267February 21, 2024 8:48 PM

Half-pint goes fishing with a man over 50 yrs old every day. No supervision. She’s about 10 or 12.

by Anonymousreply 268February 21, 2024 10:05 PM

Mary and Laura sleep together with their hands folded on their body like corpses. How sweet

by Anonymousreply 269February 21, 2024 11:15 PM

Dad fell out of a tree and broke his back. Ma took the ox out and plowed the fields herself. They came and repossessed the ox.

by Anonymousreply 270February 21, 2024 11:26 PM

Mr. O'Neill was a grabby sumbitch.

by Anonymousreply 271February 22, 2024 12:36 AM

There was an episode where Pa brought hot bathwater to Albert and kept hovering and looking down at Albert. Albert tells him he's sad about his Family Tree.

by Anonymousreply 272February 22, 2024 2:47 AM

R196 Well somebody needed to slap Mary so sounds like he was getting off on the right foot.

by Anonymousreply 273February 22, 2024 3:03 AM

I liked Caroline. But she was just so damn prim. I tended to like her best on the occasions she wasn't so holier than thou.

by Anonymousreply 274February 22, 2024 3:05 AM

I like watching it too. I also read the books because our 5th grade Language Arts teacher was obsessed. We all had to read at least one of the books and I read Farmer Boy. Then others afterwards. In one book all they got for Christmas was a shiny penny, a cup to drink out of so they didn't have to share, and one piece of hard candy. I knew then and there that the prairie was no place for me. And on the show the children had to climb up the ladder into basically a hay loft with sleeping bonnets because it was freezing. Pa laying on top of their bed in a slightly soiled union suit scratching his heavy ballsac.Poor Albert probably loved in the actual barn trying to score some smack. Meanwhile some rapist clown is lurking around raping kids. Great show.

by Anonymousreply 275February 22, 2024 3:19 AM

Another episode Adam wins a braille award. They're too poor to attend except Laura and Albert sell a bunch of honey to pay their stage coach and train fair. They sell Mrs. Olsen their bee hive. You'd think Mrs. Olsen would realize they're being set up after all the years of double crossing. Bees attack them.

Anyway Mary and Adam go by Stagecoach and it flips over and rolls down a hill. Mary has glasses in her pocket. She goes for help and falls. The glasses start a fire. Pa and burly man make it in time to look for them and save everyone, typical Deus ex Pa fashion.

by Anonymousreply 276February 22, 2024 3:36 AM

The real Laura Ingalls hated and did not want to be a teacher, but her parents wanted her to make money until they could marry her off to Almanzo

by Anonymousreply 277February 22, 2024 3:40 AM

I actually much preferred the books to the tv show. I loved the book where they lived inside a hill (or cave), it looked so awesome to my 8 year old self. I also remember in the first book they celebrated Christmas in Wisconsin by pouring mollasses onto snow and eating it, which also sounded pretty amazing to me as a child. They moved around a lot more in the books, though Nellie was only in one or two of the books and they definitely could have had more of her.

by Anonymousreply 278February 22, 2024 3:45 AM

I also feel like Doc Baker wasn't the greatest. He rarely fixed anyone. Was there a Mrs. Baker? If not he's crazy for not banging Miss. Beadle. You know she was aching and would pull down those petticoats with a minimum amount of coaxing after a sip or two of mulberry wine.

by Anonymousreply 279February 22, 2024 3:48 AM

R278 I remember that molasses in the snow part of the book. Was that in The Long Winter? Life was so incredibly hard then. So very few in today's world would survive. I admire people that can take care of themselves. I'd be eaten the first night by wolves.

by Anonymousreply 280February 22, 2024 3:52 AM

If I were alive back then I’d be a white. There’s no way you’d catch me blowing or lifting sacks of grain.

by Anonymousreply 281February 22, 2024 4:01 AM

Whore I meant

by Anonymousreply 282February 22, 2024 4:01 AM

Whores do a lot of blowing actually

by Anonymousreply 283February 22, 2024 4:24 AM

[quote] My grandmother was born in the 1890's and her favorite shows ca. 1978 were Little House On The Prairie and Grizzly Adams I'm not counting her STORIES ( Soap Operas like Days Of Our Lives). She loves Mrs. Oleson on LHOTP.

R7 She's still alive??

by Anonymousreply 284February 22, 2024 4:39 AM

R280, I think it was in the first book, Little House in the Big Woods, but I could be wrong...

by Anonymousreply 285February 22, 2024 6:35 PM

Once Laura and Albert rode into the desert and met Indians who thought Albert was Running Bull's son. Albert pretends to be Indian and says UG, just like a Peter Pan caricature.

by Anonymousreply 286February 22, 2024 8:10 PM

[Quote] Carrie: I can’t!! I’ve gotta unload! Hurry up! Pinch it off

Carrie needed to piss n shit

by Anonymousreply 287February 22, 2024 9:18 PM

R279 Miss Beadle would have been considered hot ass.

by Anonymousreply 288February 22, 2024 9:20 PM

R274 I agree. Grassle played that part like Caroline was perfect in every way. She wasn’t. Sometimes it ruined the whole show.

by Anonymousreply 289February 22, 2024 9:23 PM

Was Grassle worth the hassle?

by Anonymousreply 290February 22, 2024 9:57 PM

No she wasn’t

by Anonymousreply 291February 22, 2024 10:49 PM

Ma was worse in the books. She never wanted the girls to have fun.

In real life, Wilder didn’t see her mother for the last 20 years of Caroline’s life and did not attend the funeral.

by Anonymousreply 292February 22, 2024 11:20 PM

She was a total cunt r292

by Anonymousreply 293February 22, 2024 11:23 PM

My favorite book in the series is “The Long Winter” as it has a lot of tension and even has the side story with Almanzo and Cap Garland looking for a store of grain that they aren’t even sure exists.

by Anonymousreply 294February 22, 2024 11:23 PM

DL fave Cherry Jones reads the audio books.

by Anonymousreply 295February 22, 2024 11:43 PM

I was in a movie with Melissa Sue back in the 80s. She was pleasant but a bit full of herself.

by Anonymousreply 296February 23, 2024 12:45 AM

Was it “Happy Birthday to Me,” R296?

by Anonymousreply 297February 23, 2024 1:16 AM

Pa would remove the bladder from a pig, and blow it up like a balloon. The kids would play with it.

I know some of these sound like jokes but this happened in the books.

by Anonymousreply 298February 23, 2024 2:18 AM

An Innocent Love, r297.

by Anonymousreply 299February 23, 2024 2:56 AM

Ms. Beadle R288

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300February 23, 2024 3:41 AM

Yes Ma wasn't that nice and used to spank the kids, but Pa was a selfish asshole moving his family around from place to place in unexplored territory, leading his kids to starve, get rickets and scurvy.

Wasn't each book a new town? The little cabin, but they had to leave because some town in Wisconsin was too populated. So Pa went west, nearly drowned the horses and his family instead of taking the train. Built a house on a prairie but the law told them it was Indian land and to move. Lived in some mud hut on Plum Creek. Then some mosquito infested shore of Silver Lake. Then some town where they HATED strangers and working in town.

It was a hard life, not the chippy Michael Landon vision.

by Anonymousreply 301February 23, 2024 3:54 AM

[quote]An Innocent Love

I was hoping it was the Carrie-esque MIDNIGHT OFFERINGS!

(But I’m sure you were very good.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302February 23, 2024 6:32 AM

R301 it looked miserable in many ways on TV.

by Anonymousreply 303February 23, 2024 11:46 PM

Missy Sue appeared on an episode of Murder She Wrote. Jessica is shocked when they are filming one of her books with a nude scene!

by Anonymousreply 304February 23, 2024 11:53 PM

[R296], grab a drink and share with us every detail you can remember about working with MSA. Was she dating anyone at the time? Was her mom on the set? Did she have a sense of humor?

Maybe just start a new thread: I worked with MSA. AMA.

by Anonymousreply 305February 24, 2024 2:29 AM

I means more to me than it should that I can pop on DL after one too many tequila sodas and discuss the finer points and recurring themes of an inaccurate 1970s TV show depicting 1870s-1890s Minnesota.

by Anonymousreply 306February 24, 2024 3:01 AM

Laura and Mary were both named Melissa in real life. Did she go by Missy?

by Anonymousreply 307February 24, 2024 3:32 AM

R305 Thank you. Fresh tequila and soda here and ready to get down to business about MSA.

by Anonymousreply 308February 24, 2024 4:41 AM

You ok, [r296/r308,]? Time to get down to business.

by Anonymousreply 309February 24, 2024 10:06 AM

Country girls!

by Anonymousreply 310February 24, 2024 2:09 PM

Damn season 6 got dark.

by Anonymousreply 311February 26, 2024 2:41 AM

I never really watched the show or read any of the books, but I read the annotated autobiography, of Ingalls, Pioneer Girl. There are a lot of fascinating facts in that version.

by Anonymousreply 312February 26, 2024 3:04 AM

Like what

by Anonymousreply 313February 26, 2024 3:26 AM

The real Laura didn’t have jacked teefs like Melissa Gilbert.

by Anonymousreply 314February 26, 2024 3:28 AM

Laura was UGLY in the season just before she suddenly became an adult. She’s wearing the same clothes and braided hair that she did when she was 8 yrs old only now she’s like 17 yrs old. Those braids are ugly as hell on her now.

by Anonymousreply 315February 28, 2024 3:19 PM

It was weird. In one episode she was a student, sitting among the kids including Willie and Nellie. Then suddenly she was a teacher, teaching those same kids. Whha? She never went off to college or anything. Is that how it worked in those days?

by Anonymousreply 316February 28, 2024 5:09 PM

r316: yes, if you were really poor.

by Anonymousreply 317February 28, 2024 5:11 PM

Who was going to come teach at Walnut Grove? The majority of kids were working class kids and they didn’t need an education to work in the fields.

by Anonymousreply 318February 28, 2024 5:14 PM

R316 she took a test from Miss Lucy Li Flippin, past and was a teacher then immediately started fucking Almonzo

by Anonymousreply 319February 28, 2024 7:24 PM

R316. Normal schools (teachers colleges) weren’t established about in the Midwest until the 1860s and probably didn’t graduate enough teachers to supply tiny communities like Walnut Grove until decades later. Back then each state or territory had teachers exams that any school graduate could take to become a teacher. In many rural communities in the 19th century, and into the 20th century, there were one-room schools with one teacher for all ages. A lot of the time, the teacher was the minister's wife.

by Anonymousreply 320February 29, 2024 2:53 AM

In the books it happened similarly. Some small ass town nearby needed a teacher for the local kids, and Laura didn't want to be a teacher, but Ma and Pa said it was good money for her.

She studied and passed the teaching exams. She complained to her Pa about teaching and he told her she had to manage. She figured it out.

During her time teaching at the shit ass town school, she stayed with Mr. Brewster, who was the one trying to get the town going. His wife came at him with a knife one night. There's actually an illustration in the book of a lady holding a knife. She got the prairie madness.

Laura actually did bolt from teaching to fuck Almanzo. She was pregnant before they were married. She should have written about throwing down and rocking the buggy on the prairie. Shaking the grass out of her skirt so the town wouldn't think she was a common saloon ho.

by Anonymousreply 321February 29, 2024 4:34 AM

Mary's husband got through law school in one episode

by Anonymousreply 322February 29, 2024 4:44 AM

R321 I don't blame her, real life Almanzo was a hot piece.

by Anonymousreply 323February 29, 2024 4:46 AM

R321 fascinating. Thank you!!

And thanks to all the other people who took time to answer.

by Anonymousreply 324February 29, 2024 6:19 AM

I was born to be Wilder, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 325February 29, 2024 6:30 AM

[Quote]She got the prairie madness.

r321 lol

by Anonymousreply 326February 29, 2024 10:43 AM

I agree r315

Laura looked like shit before she suddenly became an adult

by Anonymousreply 327June 18, 2024 4:03 PM

R326 she did get it. Look at the picture.

It's what Laura saw in the middle of the night when she stayed with them. Worst roommates ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328June 19, 2024 4:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!