Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘The Greatest Night in Pop’: The Wild Stories Behind the Recording of ‘We Are the World’

So, DL, did you prefer this charity single or "Do They Know it' Christmas?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354May 28, 2024 6:51 PM

Bob Dylan looks so lost.

by Anonymousreply 1January 20, 2024 5:57 PM

Kenny Loggins looks and sounds great. Steve Perry, too -- what a voice.

Is that Toyota Jackson? LOL. Not a peep out of her!

by Anonymousreply 2January 20, 2024 9:31 PM

This makes me miss a time when there was a more common culture.

It also makes me nostalgic for pop stars with distinctive, instantly recognizable voices.

by Anonymousreply 3January 20, 2024 9:57 PM

Where was Donna Summer??

by Anonymousreply 4January 20, 2024 9:59 PM

There's a choice we're making, we're saving our own lives!

by Anonymousreply 5January 20, 2024 10:05 PM

At least We Are The World remembered women actually exist beyond Jody Watley and Bananarama.

by Anonymousreply 6January 20, 2024 10:05 PM

But, is it greater than Broadway for Orlando ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 20, 2024 10:26 PM

Or the Broadway " We Are the World", which ( at least) gave us Derek Klena to drool over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 20, 2024 10:29 PM

Where was Laura Branigan? The Pointer Sisters? Irene Cara? Bob Seger? Hall & Oates, Rick Springfield, so many that were coming off stellar 1984s could have been included instead of the extended Springsteen/Ray Charles volley.

Sheena, in fact the entire Do They Know It’s Christmas? choir could have been termed Do They Know There Are Female British Pop Stars? instead.

by Anonymousreply 9January 20, 2024 11:03 PM

Do they know its Christmas

by Anonymousreply 10January 20, 2024 11:09 PM

The sad thing was that I was in West Africa in 1988 and according to an aid worker, the money raised by the songs was still caught in a bottleneck of bureaucracy.

Do They Know was 1984

We Are the 🌍 1985

by Anonymousreply 11January 20, 2024 11:13 PM

R9, the pulled a lot of the crowd from the American Music Awards that happened that day.

by Anonymousreply 12January 20, 2024 11:19 PM

The song is dogshit

by Anonymousreply 13January 20, 2024 11:21 PM

I preferred the Canadian song.

by Anonymousreply 14January 20, 2024 11:30 PM

R9, please review the video for the Pointer Sisters and Hall and Oates. Present!

I remember Carly Simon feeling resentful that she wasn’t invited. It was part of a thread here, maybe on her autobiography, but now I can’t locate it.

by Anonymousreply 15January 20, 2024 11:44 PM

None of these are up to the level of Gal Gadot's "Imagine."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 20, 2024 11:48 PM

"There's a choice we're making, we're saving our own lives!"

What the fuck does that even mean, Miss Ross?

by Anonymousreply 17January 20, 2024 11:57 PM

10 of the singers are now dead.

40 years on and, lo and behold, Africa is an even worse shithole.

- D. Downer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 21, 2024 12:01 AM

This was a bad copycat song. Do They Know It's Christmas was much much better.

Of course MJ would say "we are the children" - yeah, dude, we get it. "I'm a little child"

The lyrics were stupid.

by Anonymousreply 19January 21, 2024 12:11 AM

WHEN WE…..

by Anonymousreply 20January 21, 2024 12:15 AM

Look at Diana Ross preening for the cameras like she's the reigning Queen of Pop. Next year, Whitney Houston debuts. Watch out for that hussy, Miss Ross.

by Anonymousreply 21January 21, 2024 3:00 AM

[quote] the money raised by the songs was still caught in a bottleneck of bureaucracy.

Nearly all do-gooder money sent to Africa gets eaten by the bureaucracy or pocketed by the corrupt local governments.

by Anonymousreply 22January 21, 2024 3:02 AM

I thought that everyone performed, sounded and behaved so great doing all those backgrounds on that single of mine. It was really, really special!

by Anonymousreply 23January 21, 2024 3:15 AM

Being from the US and only 13 at the time, I thought it was the better song. Now I think “Christmas” definitely is.

I never heard the Canadian one, “Tears Are Not Enough” but I heard at the time it was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 24January 21, 2024 3:18 AM

If they’d fucking invited me, I would have only kept them waiting 2.5 hours.

by Anonymousreply 25January 21, 2024 3:19 AM

We're Sending Our Love Down the Well!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 21, 2024 3:58 AM

Kim Carnes' solo really held the song together.

by Anonymousreply 27January 21, 2024 4:05 AM

10 are dead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 21, 2024 5:00 AM

So R28 you're saying nothing has changed since R18?

by Anonymousreply 29January 21, 2024 5:25 AM

Cyndi Lauper was the only artist to perform on We Are the World AND the superior Kidney Now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 21, 2024 11:27 AM

Do They Know it's Christmas was by far the better song.

by Anonymousreply 31January 21, 2024 11:56 AM

I'm surprised Bono didn't nudge himself into this

by Anonymousreply 32January 21, 2024 2:13 PM

Show me the money!

by Anonymousreply 33January 21, 2024 2:37 PM

The studio couldn't accommodate the egos of both Bono AND Miss Ross

by Anonymousreply 34January 21, 2024 2:52 PM

That song was such a piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 35January 21, 2024 3:05 PM

“Do they know it’s Christmas” would be canceled today as colonialist.

by Anonymousreply 36January 21, 2024 3:11 PM

We got the 45 for Easter 1985. We played it over and over and over again.

It’s a really bad song.

by Anonymousreply 37January 21, 2024 3:12 PM

80s cringe to the max

by Anonymousreply 38January 21, 2024 3:16 PM

It was a terrible song. But the sentiment behind it was well meaning.

by Anonymousreply 39January 21, 2024 3:19 PM

Horrible song.

by Anonymousreply 40January 21, 2024 3:20 PM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 21, 2024 3:22 PM

Legendary music manager Ken Kragen today relives the pressure of putting together the supergroup, telling how Prince failed to turn up to record the song because he was scared of being around people; Bob Dylan got stage fright and Michael Jackson was so intimidated, he hid in the toilets.

Ken says: “One of the reasons Prince didn’t turn up, and Prince later recorded a song for the We Are The World album, is because he always recorded alone and not with an engineer.

“He would go into the studio, do his own engineering and record every instrument and sing and no one else would be there. All of a sudden, he couldn’t be in a room with his peers.

“He knew it was a mistake. It was unfortunate that he didn’t show.”

But Ken was most surprised that Bob Dylan struggled with stage fright.

“I’m a huge fan of his, and when he had to record his part of the song it just didn’t sound like Bob,” he says.

“Quincy and Lionel cleared the studio, and they had him go up to the microphone, they sat down at the piano, did his part and imitated what he should sound like, then he went up to the microphone and did it.

Ken still had an enormous amount of talent on the track - but there were some stars that Ken, who now teaches at the Herb Alpert School of Music at UCLA, still wishes were on it.

“Barbra Streisand,” he exclaims. “She originally agreed, but then one of her advisors talked her out of it. She always regretted it.

“Like a number of artists they start worrying if they should do it or not. Remember, nobody knew We Are The World was going to be a success.”

by Anonymousreply 42January 21, 2024 3:26 PM

Shocked to see no love for the Operation Desert Storm dedicated Voices That Care.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 21, 2024 3:51 PM

Shit shit shit

by Anonymousreply 44January 21, 2024 4:21 PM

Ken Kragen lies about Prince who often had an engineer such as Susan Rogers

by Anonymousreply 45January 21, 2024 4:22 PM

The author of the article seems to question why Dan Ackroyd was there.

by Anonymousreply 46January 21, 2024 4:29 PM

There was a mini documentary about the recording of the song after it came out…MTV IIRC. The camera was on Tina Turner and she was talking to Lionel or Quincy. In the background was DL fave Dionne Warwick who for some reason was giving Tina the side eye.

by Anonymousreply 47January 21, 2024 5:13 PM

R4 It's been said over the years that Summer had such a horrible time working with Quincy Jones and James Ingram on her 1982 "Donna Summer" album, that she promised herself she would never work with them again - and declined QJ's invite to join the recording. (Summer had addressed this more 'eloquently' in the past, saying Jones and Ingram were not the ideal match for her, but never addressed this recording directly. For his part, Jones had said Summer never wanted to work with him again.)

BTW, it was the recording of Summer's "State of Independence" in 1982 where producer Quincy Jones and Michael Jackson (who sang background on the song) got the idea of bringing a group of celebrities together on a larger scale for a 'charity' recording (long before 1984's 'Do They Know It's Christmas ?'). SOI was the inspiration for this project.

by Anonymousreply 48January 21, 2024 5:14 PM

Kenny Loggins , Bruce Springsteen and John Oates were totally fuckable back then. Totally.

by Anonymousreply 49January 21, 2024 5:16 PM

I love the contrast between blue collar Bruce and his gravely tones and Stevie Wonder who runs took everybody to church.

by Anonymousreply 50January 21, 2024 5:20 PM

Whose runs*

by Anonymousreply 51January 21, 2024 5:21 PM

Stevie Wonder had the runs that night ? Poor guy - how embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 52January 21, 2024 5:24 PM

52 No wonder her moved his head all weird

by Anonymousreply 53January 21, 2024 5:29 PM

I loved the Tina and Dionne parts.

by Anonymousreply 54January 21, 2024 5:29 PM

Bob Dylan privately told Quincy Jones that it wasn’t stage fright that put him off from performing with the group, but rather Stevie Wonder’s diarrhea and the accompanying toxic sharts.

by Anonymousreply 55January 21, 2024 5:30 PM

THis song is utter dogshit and did nothing to actually help Africa. Why make a documentary about it?

by Anonymousreply 56January 21, 2024 5:30 PM

The Christmas song was way better. Not to mention the fact that they did something first. The USA version clearly showed that they were playing catch-up to the efforts by the Brits.

by Anonymousreply 57January 21, 2024 5:51 PM

Why do people keep saying the Christmas song is better as of either is at all good. They're both terrible songs with overwrought lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 58January 21, 2024 5:58 PM

Well, the Christmas song IS better. It doesn't mean either was good. Both can suck, but DTKIC sucked much less than WATW.

by Anonymousreply 59January 21, 2024 6:02 PM

[quote]It's been said over the years that Summer had such a horrible time working with Quincy Jones and James Ingram on her 1982 "Donna Summer" album, that she promised herself she would never work with them again

Ironically that was her best album in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 60January 21, 2024 6:07 PM

Best? It was her only good album in the '80s.

by Anonymousreply 61January 21, 2024 6:07 PM

[quote]Kenny Loggins , Bruce Springsteen and John Oates were totally fuckable back then. Totally.

Bruce Springsteen is still totally fuckable TODAY and he's old enough to be my father.

by Anonymousreply 62January 21, 2024 6:07 PM

R60 I like 'The Wanderer' much better. I think she resented working with Jones and Ingram after Geffen fired Moroder and Bellotte. She felt a sense of loyalty to them.

by Anonymousreply 63January 21, 2024 6:10 PM

Why’d Quincy let Donna do that ghastly cover of LUSH LIFE?

by Anonymousreply 64January 21, 2024 6:11 PM

Donna was no picnic to work with. I'd back Quincy Jones before her.

by Anonymousreply 65January 21, 2024 6:12 PM

R65 And you say this with experience ?

by Anonymousreply 66January 21, 2024 6:14 PM

R66, it's been well documented. You can climb off Donna's cock. She's been dead for a while now.

by Anonymousreply 67January 21, 2024 6:15 PM

R67 I'll get off Donna's cock when you provide the links to the 'well documented' documents.

That's right - you can't.

by Anonymousreply 68January 21, 2024 6:17 PM

[quote] I think she resented working with Jones and Ingram after Geffen fired Moroder and Bellotte. She felt a sense of loyalty to them.

She became a Jesus freak and drove Moroder crazy. He was very frustrated with her religious bullshit.

[quote] “David Geffen pushed her to make music that wasn’t right for her. It was a big mistake in my opinion,” says Moroder, who produced two slightly commercially disappointing Geffen albums for Summer before Quincy Jones took control on 1982’s Donna Summer.

[quote]Divergent personal beliefs turned that professional fissure into a fault. “Donna became quite religious,” says Moroder, as he strides past a wall of gold and platinum records. “She made me record a dance song about Jesus, dear God. And she really did not like gays — her attitude was sometimes difficult in the ’80s.” (Summer has denied ever making anti-gay statements.) “We were never ‘estranged,’ but for a long time we did not have the relationship we once did.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69January 21, 2024 6:20 PM

While we're sidetracked on Donna, that HBO doc last year was such a snoozefest disappointment. I was hoping for better.

by Anonymousreply 70January 21, 2024 6:20 PM

I thought WATW was overwrought, bombastic crap back then and I still think it is. I much preferred DTKIC?, but then again, I was into that whole British "new wave" scene back then and was excited to see Bob Geldof, Paul Weller, Midge Ure, Bananarama, etc.

by Anonymousreply 71January 21, 2024 6:22 PM

I love the video for Do They Know It's Christmas because everybody looks hungover AF and like they've just rolled out of bed. They really looked rough.

by Anonymousreply 72January 21, 2024 6:27 PM

[quote] [R67] I'll get off Donna's cock when you provide the links to the 'well documented' documents.

Looks like your ride is over, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 73January 21, 2024 6:28 PM

I thought this song was hideous. I was also more into British pop at the time.

Seeing all my favorites in the video was a treat. Boy George, for sure. And Paul Weller at peak hotness.....I wanted him inside me quite deeply.

by Anonymousreply 74January 21, 2024 6:29 PM

R73 Still waiting for the 'well documented' documents. If Summer was so 'difficult' to work with and she was driving him crazy with her religion, why didn't he quit ? Why did he wait to get fired ? A one-sided interview with Moroder (still distraught of being fired by Geffen 40 years later) isn't well-documented documents, cunt. Try harder.

by Anonymousreply 75January 21, 2024 6:34 PM

r75 an interview with Moroder is linked in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 76January 21, 2024 6:36 PM

the best moment was Boy George on George Michael:

"Sounds camp.....but that's because he is!"

by Anonymousreply 77January 21, 2024 6:37 PM

R76 Miss R75 doesn't believe that interview, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 78January 21, 2024 6:38 PM

The Kim Carnes/Huey Lewis/Cyndi Lauper segment was the highlight for me.

by Anonymousreply 79January 21, 2024 6:40 PM

I think it's very conceivable that Moroder was hugely tolerant of Donna's bullshit. He had incentive, and also Europeans are generally far less judgey as long as certain lines aren't crossed.

by Anonymousreply 80January 21, 2024 6:40 PM

Cyndi is tiresome.

She was 32 at the time of that recording but behaving like the high schooler who has just discovered the performing arts department.

by Anonymousreply 81January 21, 2024 6:53 PM

And we didn't see one brass nickel!

by Anonymousreply 82January 21, 2024 7:13 PM

R1, that is because he has never had any talent whatsoever and was surrounded by many exceptional musicians. I would have also felt intimidated if I had been in his place. I mean, just watch him tunelessly braying away in the video below, and you'll realize that he's one of the worst "singers" in the world.

The story for the song is quite interesting, R48. Thanks for sharing it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83January 21, 2024 7:14 PM

Donna turned into a real religious nutter. My favourite story is her turning down It’s Raining Men which was written for her. She told the guy who wrote it that the song was blasphemous, and the next day sent him a bible.

by Anonymousreply 84January 21, 2024 7:20 PM

That is a crazy story, R84. Still, I don't think that Paul Jabara minded at all: that song became a huge hit and it was already considered a classic by the late 80s. If anything, I think that Donna ended up kicking herself for turning it down.

by Anonymousreply 85January 21, 2024 7:25 PM

R85, Liz Smith wrote in her column that Donna hounded Paul Jabara on his deathbed while he was dying of AIDS over some money.

If you watch the HBO Max documentary on her, she clearly had serious mental health issues. Her home videos show someone who's lost touch with reality. She even tried to commit suicide by jumping out of a hotel window, but was stopped at the last second by a maid. She was also molested as a girl and had a major drug problem.

Her hugely expensive Donna Summer album with Quincy almost bankrupted Geffen Records when it flopped. Geffen lost a fortune on it. That's why they never wanted to work together again.

by Anonymousreply 86January 21, 2024 7:52 PM

Bruce Sudano was very gracious about Quincy Jones when Donna and Jones were inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame. Bruce said later on that he wasn’t particularly religious but it stabilized donna.

Cyndi said she thinks Quincy jones probably hated her from the start because Cyndi’s manager told jones she hated the song before recording began.

by Anonymousreply 87January 21, 2024 9:22 PM

I get people's annoyance, but I find Cyndi's chutzpah admirable... especially given how much music likes to make women invisible.

by Anonymousreply 88January 21, 2024 9:24 PM

[quote]“Barbra Streisand,” he exclaims. “She originally agreed, but then one of her advisors talked her out of it. She always regretted it.

BWAAAAH. Sure, she regretted it. BWAAAAH.

by Anonymousreply 89January 21, 2024 9:33 PM

Madge wasn't invited because they didn't think she could sing. And yet they invited Latoya??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90January 21, 2024 10:07 PM

For those who don't know, Dan Aykroyd is there because he's representing the American movie industry, since Ghostbusters was such a big hit. You'd think they could have had similar courtesy towards TV and cause us all to wonder "Joan Collins ... WTF?"

by Anonymousreply 91January 21, 2024 10:29 PM

I'm thinking that someone's been having fun editing the Voices That Care Wikipedia page, since I had no idea about the inolvement of at least half of those choir members.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92January 21, 2024 10:31 PM

Al Jarreau was shitfaced drunk!

by Anonymousreply 93January 21, 2024 10:34 PM

No one really cared about the kids. It was all self-serving preening to make themselves look good. And they didn't even let the Commodores participate; they were forced to sit with families and hangers-one while their former bandmate Lionel Richie didn't offer them a spot.

by Anonymousreply 94January 21, 2024 10:39 PM

Is there a chart or anywhere listing which of them f***** each other even before or after this?

by Anonymousreply 95January 21, 2024 10:40 PM

R47, Tina's career was white hot at the time and Dionne's was inconsistent at best because she thought too highly of herself. She was probably a bit jelly.

by Anonymousreply 96January 21, 2024 10:46 PM

While we're on the subject of "We Are the World," we have to acknoweldge how "Heal the World" by Michael Jackson wanted SO badly to be the "We Are the World" of the '90s. Way to rip yourself off, Michael!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97January 21, 2024 10:46 PM

R83 He sho is ugly and so is his voice! I don’t get it. My parents worshiped him.

by Anonymousreply 98January 21, 2024 10:49 PM

[quote]Of course MJ would say "we are the children" - yeah, dude, we get it. "I'm a little child"

This was right before he REALLY got weird and the public found out what a freak he was. The plastic surgery, the little boys everywhere, etc. A couple of years later it was all over the media and people's perception of him really changed. And then of course it got really dark with the abuse lawsuits.

by Anonymousreply 99January 21, 2024 10:56 PM

R65=Barbra Streisand

by Anonymousreply 100January 21, 2024 10:59 PM

“We Are The World” was stupid and bombastic at the time; “Do They Know” was a decent piece of mid-80s pop. Though now dated, and not a great Christmas song, it still gets airplay each year all these decades later.

by Anonymousreply 101January 21, 2024 11:02 PM

“Do They Know It’s Christmas?” sounds like an actual 80’s pop song that might be written and performed by any of the artists that who participated in it, it has a nice hook, and a cool vibe, with the synths and horns the bells and all.

“We Are The World” sounds like a bad, ham-fisted bank or grocery store jingle. It’s so corny it’s almost parody-proof. It’s obnoxious.

Plus “Do They Know It’s Christmas” did it first.

by Anonymousreply 102January 21, 2024 11:04 PM

Prince was asked to participate but declined because he thought the song was shit. It wasn't because he "worked alone" as Quincy Jones said.

by Anonymousreply 103January 21, 2024 11:07 PM

If you were watching MTV in 1985, WATW was on CONSTANTLY. The song debuted in the Billboard top 20 on its way to number one, and then it cleaned up at the Grammys winning record and song of the year in 1986. The lyrics are shit, but the melody is great, so a mixed bag of 80s kitsch. It has a sentimental value to me as a teen in that era. But I recognize the song for bombastic half mess it is.

by Anonymousreply 104January 21, 2024 11:13 PM

The song actually sounds like something John Tesh would have written if he did lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 105January 21, 2024 11:13 PM

The choral singing is nice.

by Anonymousreply 106January 21, 2024 11:16 PM

Any thoughts on "Sun City"?

by Anonymousreply 107January 21, 2024 11:21 PM

Sun City is a decent song

by Anonymousreply 108January 21, 2024 11:33 PM

R103 Good for Prince, he was right. The song is shit.

by Anonymousreply 109January 21, 2024 11:37 PM

Do They Know it' Christmas? was a much better song and is still played a Xmas now.

by Anonymousreply 110January 21, 2024 11:40 PM

Yes R22. That was it. The corruption was a big issue. Getting aid into the right hands was a major concern.

by Anonymousreply 111January 22, 2024 12:02 AM

Prince didn't want to be involved with that shiteous tune but he did contribute a song for the We Are The World album.

by Anonymousreply 112January 22, 2024 12:02 AM

The song he contributed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113January 22, 2024 12:02 AM

"Do They Know It's Christmas?" is miles better. "We Are The World" is passable but borders on cheesy. I'd advise that you pop a couple of Zofran before listening to the God awful remake they did for Haiti. As if they didn't already have problems with earthquakes, France and the Dominican Republic.

by Anonymousreply 114January 22, 2024 12:03 AM

^ Do Africans know it’s Christmas?

How fucking stupid and condescending can Bob Geldof get?

by Anonymousreply 115January 22, 2024 12:07 AM

What have you done to combat world hunger R115? Anything?

by Anonymousreply 116January 22, 2024 12:09 AM

Personally I love all of these. Voices That Care really gives us more than we could’ve ever deserved.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117January 22, 2024 12:12 AM

Zamfir covered " We Are the World" on the pan flute. He didn't do the Christmas song.

by Anonymousreply 118January 22, 2024 12:31 AM

People who complain about Do They Know It's Christmas can get fucked and roll in broken glass.

by Anonymousreply 119January 22, 2024 12:40 AM

along wi t

Along with Carly Simon, John Denver also was pissed to have been passed over...... I'm sure there were others.

MTV was kind of the new arbiter of hip...... you didn't get more unhip than John Denver in 1984. Carly Simon's comeback was about a year or so later.

by Anonymousreply 120January 22, 2024 1:42 AM

R3: Were you awake in the 80? It was not a decade to get warm and fuzzy about esp. if you were gay.

by Anonymousreply 121January 22, 2024 1:49 AM

And this stuff built and built and a year later we got “Hands Across America.”

by Anonymousreply 122January 22, 2024 1:54 AM

r121 he's nostalgic for common culture and pop stars of the 80s.

And so am I. It was a great time to be a kid.

by Anonymousreply 123January 22, 2024 1:59 AM

Steve Perry sang his line the most beautifully.

by Anonymousreply 124January 22, 2024 2:06 AM

"Musicians for Free-Range Chickens" was the best of the lot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125January 22, 2024 2:07 AM

[quote] Al Jarreau was shitfaced drunk!

I get Jarreau confused with the other black guy.

by Anonymousreply 126January 22, 2024 2:14 AM

1986's "Hands Across America" by 'Voices of America was far better than any of the others. How can it not be with Streisand, Oprah, Kenny Rogers, Don Johnson, Robin Williams, Whoopi Goldberg, Lily Tomlin...and some sexy guy at 4:24.

Hands Across America...Hands Across This Land I Love...Divided We Fall (Stand UP!)...United we stand...Hands Across America...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127January 22, 2024 2:37 AM

Dionne wasn't part of 'Voices of America' so she decided to go it alone...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128January 22, 2024 2:41 AM

Dionne also redid WATW for a concert, all by herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129January 22, 2024 12:16 PM

Michael Jackson had to have his family in it, so they took up spots. They thought Madonna was a flash in the pan so they instead went with Cyndi Lauper.

As for the songs "Do they know it's Christmas?" is better. I always wondered what the deal was with Sting's floppy hair.

by Anonymousreply 130January 22, 2024 12:26 PM

I stood next to LaToya. She wore a headband. I felt naked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131January 22, 2024 12:44 PM

They could have thrown Smokey Robinson a bone and gave him a line, also Lindsey Buckingham was there and Jeffrey Osbourne. Too much Bruce Springsteen but I know 'Born in the USA' was huge at the time.

by Anonymousreply 132January 22, 2024 12:46 PM

La Toyah stuck to Michael like glue at this time. He was unbelievably mega famous in the mid 80’s and La Toyah was hoping some of that would rub off on her.

by Anonymousreply 133January 22, 2024 12:47 PM

Dan Aykroyd was there, mumbling the song.

by Anonymousreply 134January 22, 2024 12:56 PM

Michael Jackson had footage of himself re-shot singing into a microphone with the same outfit so it could be inserted into the video. With proper make-up and lighting. He didn’t like the way he looked in the original footage. There ended up being footage of both in the final cut. I remember this being a mini-scandal at the time because it was a video for charity and people thought it was distasteful (but he probably paid for it himself?) This was the beginnings of his crazy plastic surgery years so clearly he was nuts about his appearance.

by Anonymousreply 135January 22, 2024 12:58 PM

Randy Jackson (not the American Idol guy) has a big zit on his cheek and looks like he was trying to show off

by Anonymousreply 136January 22, 2024 1:04 PM

Cyndi Lauper saved that song for me. She was the only part of it that was somewhat interesting.

by Anonymousreply 137January 22, 2024 1:05 PM

"Common culture" - "I never had to think about anyone else but myself"

by Anonymousreply 138January 22, 2024 1:06 PM

[quote] La Toyah

LaToya. One word, no H.

by Anonymousreply 139January 22, 2024 1:07 PM

I read Ruth Pointer's biography "Still So Excited", which is a fun short read, with lots of T.

In it, she points out that June's husband, William Whitmore, was also acting as June's agent, and was making a real stink about not being allowed in to the venue where all the celebs were gathering to rehearse and sing, that he was stuck outside with all the significant others. He felt he was too good for that, and then started threatening to pull June away from the whole thing.

Because of that drama, the Pointer Sisters did NOT have a line to sing in the song, and they were just about to be given one. But Whitmore messed it all up.

by Anonymousreply 140January 22, 2024 3:53 PM

is Waylon Jennings in there?

by Anonymousreply 141January 22, 2024 4:49 PM

Bette Midler jokes about how she was snubbed at the recording session and stuck in the back with LaToya at the 15:00 mark. This was back when Bette was still hilarious. This was just before her career really took off with a string of film hits. When she did WATW, her career was at its lowest point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142January 22, 2024 4:53 PM

R129 here again, rewatching that Dionne clip again. She sang the hell out of that song, and made it sound way better than it should. Go D.

by Anonymousreply 143January 22, 2024 5:13 PM

Bette in good humor in that clip...

by Anonymousreply 144January 22, 2024 5:32 PM

Hands Across America... damn talk about overwrought. I can remember in the '80s seeing commercials from the '50s and thinking "this seems so corny now. How did anyone take this seriously?" And I thought nothing that was coming out at the time could ever seem that corny and out of date. Hands Across America is just as bad as any '50s television ad.

by Anonymousreply 145January 22, 2024 5:40 PM

^^^Thqt Bette Clip is classic Bette. If you want to remember what she was like in the old days, you should watch it

by Anonymousreply 146January 22, 2024 6:29 PM

R116 I contributed by not having more Africans. They should try to do the same.

by Anonymousreply 147January 22, 2024 10:04 PM

Notice in the 'Hands Across America' video, Streisand is the only one who sings without someone near her - she has the whole camera shot to herself. She's not holding hands with people next to her (yuck!). And ten she swings her head and shows us her left profile in the sunlight.

I wonder how long that took to shoot - a week or so ?

by Anonymousreply 148January 22, 2024 10:10 PM

We had to sing "Hands Across America" in our music class in elementary school. Total trainwreck.

by Anonymousreply 149January 22, 2024 10:13 PM

R127, that sexy guy is Jeff Bridges.

by Anonymousreply 150January 22, 2024 10:16 PM

R94 "No one really cared about the kids."

A strange blanket statement to make. You have no idea who cared about what in 1985.

by Anonymousreply 151January 22, 2024 10:35 PM

Lucy was going to sing a solo part but Gary talked her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 152January 22, 2024 10:43 PM

I would've loved to see Lucy there, chain-smoking and bossing everybody around.

by Anonymousreply 153January 22, 2024 11:04 PM

“Light the candles… get the ice outtttt…”

by Anonymousreply 154January 22, 2024 11:05 PM

I eat refugee excrement

by Anonymousreply 155January 22, 2024 11:12 PM

R148's the only one in all creation who watched that video.

by Anonymousreply 156January 22, 2024 11:14 PM

I'd forgotten all about Hands Across America until whatsisname did that movie a few years ago that I've forgotten the title of.

by Anonymousreply 157January 22, 2024 11:18 PM

Us. Speaking of movies, note that in the video for "Hands Across America," Jeff Bridges, Jane Fonda and Raul Julia apparently are on a break from filming The Morning After.

by Anonymousreply 158January 23, 2024 1:30 AM

The Morning After is craptastic fun.

by Anonymousreply 159January 23, 2024 1:32 AM

I preferred when they did Clits Across America.

by Anonymousreply 160January 23, 2024 6:13 AM

R142, speaking of Bette, she joked about WATW in her comedy show, Mud Will Be Flung Tonight!, and took a shot at LaToya, starting at 3:35.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161January 23, 2024 6:54 AM

The heavy metal version was Hear 'n Aid. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 162January 23, 2024 8:09 AM

The presence of Michael Jackson stinks up this video.

by Anonymousreply 163January 23, 2024 8:46 AM

That really was better R160. Do you remember who was in it?

by Anonymousreply 164January 23, 2024 8:57 AM

Agreed R163. It's like seeing something with Bill Cosby or Jimmy Savile in it now. Repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 165January 23, 2024 8:59 AM

R161 meet R131.

by Anonymousreply 166January 23, 2024 1:08 PM

I got tired of the Michael Jackson adoration. I remember how they used to introduce him as the King of Pop, I didn't realize at the time that it was in his contract that they had to call him that.

by Anonymousreply 167January 23, 2024 1:12 PM

Jeff Bridges was so damn hot and sexy back in the 80s. He was ok in the 90s. WTF happened to him as he got older ? He aged terribly.

by Anonymousreply 168January 23, 2024 5:04 PM

Jackson is still wildly popular. In the US, if you like a person, any accusations will be dismissed. A perfect example is the Orange Turd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169January 23, 2024 5:09 PM

Bridges is at his peak in the 1984 film “Against All Odds.” All tan and half naked.

by Anonymousreply 170January 23, 2024 5:12 PM

You're both wrong. This was peak Jeff Bridges. 1993's American Heart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171January 23, 2024 5:14 PM

Watching it now, Cyndi Lauper was a pain in the ass. Too bad Ken Kragen didn't listen to his assistant and put in Madonna instead.

by Anonymousreply 172January 31, 2024 4:06 AM

Lionel Richie seems like a decent guy. Except for when his wife caught him in bed with another woman...

by Anonymousreply 173January 31, 2024 4:08 AM

Huey Lewis was the hottest guy there.

Paul Simon said if a bomb dropped on that place John Denver would be back on top of the charts. :)

by Anonymousreply 174January 31, 2024 4:13 AM

I'd love to sit down with Quincy Jones and hear his stories.

by Anonymousreply 175January 31, 2024 4:20 AM

It's on Netflix now btw

by Anonymousreply 176January 31, 2024 4:20 AM

I'm assuming Liza rejected her invitation.

by Anonymousreply 177January 31, 2024 4:27 AM

Anyone who's wearing sunglasses indoors is automatically obnoxious. Sorry, Cindy.

by Anonymousreply 178January 31, 2024 4:33 AM

Huey Lewis seems down to earth. It really shows Stevie Wonder is a musical genius.

by Anonymousreply 179January 31, 2024 5:11 AM

Springsteen seems decent too.

by Anonymousreply 180January 31, 2024 5:14 AM

Waylon Jennings peaced out.

by Anonymousreply 181January 31, 2024 5:14 AM

Lives. Be. Stronger and free.

by Anonymousreply 182January 31, 2024 5:19 AM

I wrote it and sang, but was uncredited.

by Anonymousreply 183January 31, 2024 5:22 AM

They are all middle aged, if it was made today they sadly be considered too old

by Anonymousreply 184January 31, 2024 7:17 AM

"But they don't even speak Swahili in Ethiopia, Stevie."

Funniest moment in the film.

by Anonymousreply 185January 31, 2024 7:56 AM

I thought the greatest night in pop was Live Aid 1985.

by Anonymousreply 186January 31, 2024 8:01 AM

This "documentary" is a complete money grab. A People Magazine story turned into a documentary? Gen Z are idiots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187January 31, 2024 8:26 AM

I watched it and I am still waiting for the "wild stories"

by Anonymousreply 188January 31, 2024 8:34 AM

R188 = The saddest untold story is that Michael Jackson didn't live long enough to meet and mentor Justin Bieber. And you know he would have. Oh, the slumber parties they could have had!! But then again Bieber might have aged out of MJs interest. Ironically if MJ had been convicted, he would probably still be alive today (in prison).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189January 31, 2024 8:43 AM

The Idiot OP linked to a paywalled site. And was too damned lazy to post the article.

by Anonymousreply 190January 31, 2024 9:12 AM

That was the last time Michael Jackson looked attractive. After that he started going overboard with his plastic surgery, skin whitening, had longer hair, etc.

by Anonymousreply 191January 31, 2024 11:17 AM

Busking Bieber would have been just fine for Jackson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192January 31, 2024 12:27 PM

When weeeeee

by Anonymousreply 193January 31, 2024 12:36 PM

Billy Joel seemed grumpy, he brought Christy she must have had to sit and wait for him in another room

by Anonymousreply 194January 31, 2024 1:16 PM

I never knew they recorded that single/video the same night as the AMAs. That's a loooooong day for those pampered egos. I never had a thing for Huey Lewis but he was incredibly charming and handsome that night. I still think the bridge is the best part of the song (even Kim Carne's "When Weeeee" solo). Cyndi Lauper really did have the best part IMO. Madonna should have been there but after watching how they put the song/solos together, I can't imagine where she'd have been plugged in.

by Anonymousreply 195January 31, 2024 2:45 PM

My favorite part of the doc was Kenny Loggins recalling Paul Simon's deeply bitchy dig at John Denver.

by Anonymousreply 196January 31, 2024 2:52 PM

R192 If I had my way artists like Justin Bieber and Billie Eilish wouldn't have record contracts and would be spending the rest of lives unsuccessfully busking. Anything to spare people from their god awful music.

by Anonymousreply 197January 31, 2024 4:48 PM

*their

by Anonymousreply 198January 31, 2024 4:48 PM

To add to R195, it was funny how Kim Carnes managed to end up just singing "when we". The full phrase was originally ALL for Kim to sing "When we stand together as one".

She sang it nicely in the rehearsals, and then someone had the idea that Huey and Cyndi should join her. It was kind of brilliant in that it sounded better with the three of them joining together, but it kind of did Kim dirty.

by Anonymousreply 199January 31, 2024 5:34 PM

I liked how Dionne talked about being in Vegas, and gladly got on a plane to LA that day for this event. "If Quincy Jones tells me to be there, I'm there." She said.

I did wonder why Bruce sounded so terrible in the recording. Turns out he had just wrapped up his Born in the USA tour in Buffalo, and needed vocal rest. If that's the case, I think they didn't need Bruce to have so many featured vocals on that recording.

I like how they deliberately put Kenny Loggins after Bruce, to soften the proceedings. Nice transitions that were pretty well thought out for being such a rush job.

What a night Lionel Richie had. He hosted the AMAs, won 6 awards, and then lead that effort "All Night Long", going home to a family that had no idea where he had gone after the ceremony.

by Anonymousreply 200January 31, 2024 5:38 PM

Al Jarreau was a mess, especially when getting all handsy with Bob Dylan at Stevie's piano at the end. Damn, put down the Jesus Juice.

Interesting that some label assistant had a hand in deciding to throw Dan Aykroyd into that. She's even quoted "Oh, and I had to add Dan Aykroyd to this list". WHY?? Why not just add Andy Griffith while you're at it.

by Anonymousreply 201January 31, 2024 5:41 PM

I wonder if the whole experience inspired Dionne to concoct her "That's What Friends Are For" scam.

by Anonymousreply 202January 31, 2024 6:21 PM

Steve Perry into Daryl Hall was always my favorite part

by Anonymousreply 203January 31, 2024 6:44 PM

It was an Oates-less Hall event.

by Anonymousreply 204February 1, 2024 12:28 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 205February 1, 2024 4:39 AM

Oates was relegated to the chorus

by Anonymousreply 206February 1, 2024 5:14 AM

I don’t think they would be able to pull that off today. Can you imagine a pop star without their entourage and no guarantee of a solo? No approval of the final cut or video?

I loved how Diana Ross wore her cheesy T shirt over her clothes. She seemed like she enjoyed it the most.

by Anonymousreply 207February 1, 2024 5:20 AM

It was crap then and it's crap now. A schlocky uncreative pop dirge.

by Anonymousreply 208February 1, 2024 5:50 AM

All those do-good songs are pretty awful. I am sick of “Imagine”. John was such a hypocrite but he didn’t get a chance to grow and admit it so I give him a pass.

by Anonymousreply 209February 1, 2024 5:54 AM

John would have grown onto a larger asshole than he was. Fucking fraud.

by Anonymousreply 210February 1, 2024 6:03 AM

FYI------>>CANADA FOR AFRICA.........not a joke....1985!!....Corey Hart!! Anne Murray!! Joni Mitchell!! Bryan Adams (in his prime HOT days)!! Neil Young!! David Foster!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211February 1, 2024 8:00 AM

Huey Lewis hugged Billy Joel and Billy didn't look happy

by Anonymousreply 212February 1, 2024 8:04 AM

Canadians are so polite that even Geddy Lee didn't say no to that 80's sitcom theme song. And Corey Hart sings like he's straining to have a poo at all times.

by Anonymousreply 213February 1, 2024 8:06 AM

R213 = Cory Hart was barely a star then. He did look uncomfortable..The list of "chorus" members at the end is good. I don't know who some of them are. Eugene Levy AND Catherine O'Hara! John Candy. Paul Shaffer...etc etc..

by Anonymousreply 214February 1, 2024 8:11 AM

i haven't seen the Netflix special.....but I'm hoping Harry Chapin's memory is invoked. Clip below insightful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215February 1, 2024 7:16 PM

I remember a teacher of mine saying that the Canadian song was awful.

But they did get Joni Mitchell.

by Anonymousreply 216February 1, 2024 7:18 PM

According to Carole Bayer Sager, in her deliciously dishy autobiography, Dionne asked to be paid for That’s What Friends Are For because she just did WATW and didn’t get paid for that.

by Anonymousreply 217February 1, 2024 8:10 PM

Dionne is so dumb and greedy at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 218February 1, 2024 8:11 PM

WO WO WO WOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!! 🎶

by Anonymousreply 219February 1, 2024 8:15 PM

Dionne overspent all her life, without any royalty agreements regarding use of Bacharach songs. She had really poor management. I don't blame her for needing to negotiate $$ but yeah when it's for charity that's pretty shady.

by Anonymousreply 220February 1, 2024 10:41 PM

Dionne is in her 80s and is on tour this year. Good for her but sad that she has to.

by Anonymousreply 221February 1, 2024 11:07 PM

Carole Bayer Sager's side of things is what it is - dish.

But I think what actually happened, from Dionne's very honest admission is - she didn't want to be paid directly, she just wanted to be flown to these charity events in the style she was accustomed to. First Class. I think there was an issue when she wasn't flown that way, and then they finally did agree to fly her in First, and stay in nice hotels, and that's part of the reason that the charity only really netted $3MM after all.

by Anonymousreply 222February 1, 2024 11:19 PM

The afore mentioned Sun City song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223February 1, 2024 11:35 PM

Farm Aid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224February 1, 2024 11:37 PM

Wow. I remember as a little gayling thinking Canadian production values were lacking. Growing up in Detroit you always got cheesy Canadian channels from across the river. That Canada for Africa song/video was tragic but I remember singing along with it.

by Anonymousreply 225February 2, 2024 12:09 AM

Fun Trivia = In the Canada for Africa video = David Fosters FIFTH wife couldn't be there since she hadn't been born yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226February 2, 2024 3:00 AM

R226 apparently it’s not only the Brits who have shitty dental work.

by Anonymousreply 227February 2, 2024 3:35 AM

When they played the whole song at the end I broke down in tears.

I have no idea why.

by Anonymousreply 228February 2, 2024 3:44 AM

Bruce Springsteen was a fucking snack.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229February 2, 2024 3:52 AM

It's the rousing choral backdrop to us growing old, r228.

by Anonymousreply 230February 2, 2024 5:24 AM

I wonder if those who participated in the event but not the documentary have watched it. I wonder if Paul Simon regrets his snarky comment about John Denver.

by Anonymousreply 231February 2, 2024 2:36 PM

Lionel had some great work done. He looks so much better than he did in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 232February 2, 2024 2:45 PM

John Denver, by all accounts, was an asshole drunk.

by Anonymousreply 233February 2, 2024 2:46 PM

[quote] Lionel had some great work done. He looks so much better than he did in the 80s.

When I was stationed in Japan, the barmaids would say, “Heem, hav-a long-u face-u, nay?”.

by Anonymousreply 234February 2, 2024 2:59 PM

R233 John Denver had DUIs and then splattered himself in the Pacific Ocean. Idiot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235February 7, 2024 12:03 AM

A friend of mine who grew up in Colorado and whose parents knew John Denver told me that he was a drunken asshole. He had a really shitty reputation in the area.

by Anonymousreply 236February 7, 2024 12:09 AM

R236 = I believe it. Denver also called a former Jewish co-worker a Nazi. so classy.

by Anonymousreply 237February 7, 2024 12:17 AM

R228, me too! R230, you are so coreect.

by Anonymousreply 238February 7, 2024 12:27 AM

***correct***

by Anonymousreply 239February 7, 2024 12:27 AM

While we are shitting on John Denver, have a read of his Wiki. He was a charitable soul and fought for gay rights as well.

People are complicated...

by Anonymousreply 240February 7, 2024 6:49 AM

Prince disliked the song and offered to write something else. Prince would not even lip sync the tune.

by Anonymousreply 241February 7, 2024 7:02 AM

[quote]Cyndi is tiresome. She was 32 at the time of that recording but behaving like the high schooler who has just discovered the performing arts department.

Did you ever watch Cyndi's reality show? I attempted to but had to stop because she was so damn whiney and negative the entire time. It was a huge mistake for her to do that reality show IMO because it showed her for what she is which is--as you said--tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 242February 8, 2024 7:48 AM

In the doc they show that Cyndi nearly backed out because her boyfriend at the time didn't like it the song. I lost a lot of respect for her for that. I think she's one of many celebs who do great work, but aren't very easy people to be around. I think she knows it. I've seen clips where she seems to be apologizing for herself a lot.

by Anonymousreply 243February 8, 2024 7:56 AM

Cyndi was throwing lots of attitude in the documentary. Rolling her eyes at Stevie and Lionel. She really let 1984 get to her head.

by Anonymousreply 244February 9, 2024 4:02 AM

Her whole look in those years showed that there was something wrong with her.

by Anonymousreply 245February 9, 2024 4:26 AM

Really, the more I think about it, Live Aid 1985 was stupendous.

by Anonymousreply 246February 9, 2024 5:54 AM

Live Aid was fantastic, the lineup of artists was excellent.

by Anonymousreply 247February 9, 2024 7:41 PM

R29 that was such a cuntilicious response! I literally (yes, LITERALLY) laughed out loud! Well done.

by Anonymousreply 248February 9, 2024 8:51 PM

Willie Nelson gave Al Jarreau stink eye when everyone realized Al was fucking blotto. LOL

How did a roomful of African Americans NOT know that Swahili is not spoken in Ethiopia? How?

I wonder if Quincy Jones was that cool, calm and collected throughout the recording. Or they edited out his (justifiable) frustrations. He does strike me as a very cool cat. I never realized how good looking he was/is.

by Anonymousreply 249February 9, 2024 9:22 PM

Did Quincy avoid appearing on the doc or is he too frail these days?

by Anonymousreply 250February 9, 2024 9:50 PM

Do They Know It's Christmas? Probably not. It was Eastern Ethiopia that was severely impacted by the drought and famine. It's also where all the Muslims lived. Muslims don't celebrate Christmas and being it was a poor, largely agrarian population that lived there, no they likely didn't know it was Christmas after all.

It's not a great song.

Camp WATW

by Anonymousreply 251February 9, 2024 10:17 PM

The PUPPETS version....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252February 10, 2024 2:35 AM

When they show current Cyndi, it's soft focus, right?

by Anonymousreply 253February 10, 2024 3:02 AM

R251, the famine largely affected the regions of Tigray, Gondar, and Wollo. While Wollo is predominantly Muslim, Tigray and Gondar are 80% to 95% Orthodox Christian, and they celebrate Christmas on January 7.

by Anonymousreply 254February 10, 2024 3:50 AM

I’m still surprised about the lack of female soul singers like Aretha, Patti, Chaka, Gladys

by Anonymousreply 255February 10, 2024 3:58 AM

I'm surprised that Linda Lavin wasn't invited, I know she wasn't a pop singer, but she had a rich musical pedigree and was one of the biggest stars in the world at the time thanks to Alice.

by Anonymousreply 256February 10, 2024 7:49 PM

I don’t care if John Denver’s neighbors didn’t like him. I love his music. His death was sad. Big musical loss.

by Anonymousreply 257February 10, 2024 8:04 PM

r256 lolz at Linda Lavin

by Anonymousreply 258February 10, 2024 8:09 PM

Bonnie Franklin tried to get past security by lying that she was asked to participate. When she was asked what her part was she said:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259February 10, 2024 9:51 PM

Bonnie Bellend...kiki

by Anonymousreply 260February 10, 2024 9:54 PM

Who was the person who pointed out that they don’t speak Swahili in Ethiopia? Steve Perry, maybe?

by Anonymousreply 261February 11, 2024 2:16 PM

The contemporary equivalent of WATW would be Gadot and Co's lockdown version of 'Imagine'. Smug, tone deaf, out of touch.

by Anonymousreply 262February 11, 2024 2:40 PM

R261, I believe it was Bob Geldof, a white man who had actually been to Africa!

by Anonymousreply 263February 11, 2024 4:14 PM

3 year-old Prince William met Bob Geldof at Buckingham Palace and William asked his father (Charles) why Geldof was "so dirty."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264February 11, 2024 5:07 PM

[quote]They thought Madonna was a flash in the pan so they instead went with Cyndi Lauper.

Then 'Crazy For You' knocked WATW out of the top of the Billboard chart.

[quote]In the doc they show that Cyndi nearly backed out because her boyfriend at the time didn't like it the song.

Is this the same boyfriend who influenced her to hook her stardom to the World Federation Wrestling shit? That dick must have been mesmerizing to her.

[quote]I'm surprised that Linda Lavin wasn't invited, I know she wasn't a pop singer, but she had a rich musical pedigree and was one of the biggest stars in the world at the time thanks to Alice.

The sign said: CHECK YOUR EGO AT THE DOOR. For Lavin this would have been impossible.

Why no Cher? Elton?? Stevie Wonder came across as a real handful. He really didn't seem to add anything but was more than willing to sabotage the project.

by Anonymousreply 265February 11, 2024 6:36 PM

Dan Akroyd was there because he and his father were interviewing business managers and Ken Kragen’s name was in the mix despite Kragen being a personal manager and not a business one. At the time Kragen managed Lionel Richie, Kenny Rogers and Kim Carnes. Kragen invited Akroyd to be a part of the song not realizing he was Canadian.

Jackson had to invite his family members, Jarreau and Ingram were favorites of Quincy Jones and Kragen had his clients there. Jones wanted to dump Lauper during the recording and still holds a grudge.

Waylon Jennings and Ray Charles were the ones that didn’t want to add the additional “sha lam sha Lin gay”

by Anonymousreply 266February 11, 2024 7:29 PM

I’m curious why more performers didn’t show up in this doc for commentary. The one who almost backed out, Lauper, was one of the few who was interviewed for the doc.

by Anonymousreply 267February 11, 2024 10:40 PM

No, Kragen's secretary said she was the one who decided on Aykroyd.

by Anonymousreply 268February 12, 2024 5:04 AM

R268 And she got Bette in as well.

by Anonymousreply 269February 12, 2024 9:52 AM

Bette Midler is a singer. Can Dan Ackroyd sing?

by Anonymousreply 270February 12, 2024 11:53 AM

[quote]I’m curious why more performers didn’t show up in this doc for commentary

Too embarrassed to be associated with such schlock.

by Anonymousreply 271February 12, 2024 12:13 PM

[quote] Can Dan Ackroyd sing?

You mean like with The Blues Brothers?

by Anonymousreply 272February 12, 2024 12:15 PM

[quote]Watching it now, Cyndi Lauper was a pain in the ass. Too bad Ken Kragen didn't listen to his assistant and put in Madonna instead.

She wouldn’t have been any better pain the ass wise.

by Anonymousreply 273February 12, 2024 12:22 PM

R272 the Blues Brothers was performance not singing. Neither Aykroyd or Belushi were known for their vocal talents.

by Anonymousreply 274February 12, 2024 12:50 PM

[quote]She wouldn’t have been any better pain the ass wise.

Madge would've complained about the unbearable heat, demanded that somebody bring her a fan, stepped on Latoya's toe, and behaved rudely to Diana's children, prompting Michael to protest "You're a mean lady, Madonna!"

by Anonymousreply 275February 12, 2024 4:02 PM

[quote] the Blues Brothers was performance not singing.

Like Bob Dylan on this song?

by Anonymousreply 276February 12, 2024 4:10 PM

The doc is really interesting with Bob Dylan. He was totally out of it and was tanking when he tried to do his solo. Stevie Wonder was a positive ball of energy, and sat down with Dylan at a piano and jammed it out until the solo took it's final form. Basically, Stevie was completely gracious and wrote the ever-overrated Dylan's performance.

by Anonymousreply 277February 12, 2024 5:04 PM

[quote] [R261], I believe it was Bob Geldof, a white man who had actually been to Africa!

Many of the people assembled had been to Africa, in particular, Harry Belafonte who'd been a regular visitor to Africa since the 60s. Belafonte was the catalyst for "We Are The World."

by Anonymousreply 278February 12, 2024 6:06 PM

I'm kind of shocked that Bonnie Franklin (may she RIP) was not invited. I know she wasn't a pop star, but she was HUUUUGE at the time of the recording. Also, her singing the title song to Applause at the Tony awards a few years previous knocked the roof off the place! Surely she could have taken Tina Turner's part, as I'm sure like Madonna, most people would have thought Tina a flash in the pan.

by Anonymousreply 279February 12, 2024 6:22 PM

R275 I doubt she would have agreed to participate tbh. She is not one to share the spotlight. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if they asked and she turned it down.

by Anonymousreply 280February 12, 2024 7:53 PM

Idiot R276 clearly doesn’t know shit about Bob Dylan.

by Anonymousreply 281February 12, 2024 8:49 PM

R278, no, many of the people assembled had not been to Africa. Where are you pulling that from?

Show me where Stevie's many tours brought him over there to Ethiopia, where he could claim to be an expert in what they need to hear and in what language. He clearly didn't know, and was just sympathizing like he knew, and trying to force everyone deeper into patronizing schmaltz.

Harry Belafonte, and the Pointer Sisters, had to have been among the very few that had every gone over there. It's not like american artists were known for routinely doing this back then, indy war torn countries. Harry was unique in this way by being an activist. WATW wasn't an assembly of African experts. These were some celebrities that were at the AMAs to get awards.

by Anonymousreply 282February 13, 2024 4:05 AM

I think it was early enough in Madonna's career that she wouldn't act as much of a diva

by Anonymousreply 283February 13, 2024 9:13 AM

This took place in January, 1985. Diana Ross turned to Daryl Hall, and said "Mr. Hall, I'm a big fan of yours. Will you sign my music ?"

Didn't Daryl Hall work with Ross the year before when he co-produced her album "Swept Away" and even sang background on the title track ? Why did she act like this was her first time meeting him?

It was interesting to see that she started that, in which everyone autographed each other's sheet music.

by Anonymousreply 284February 16, 2024 2:28 AM

Shocked Bono didn't join both. Geldof is an udder piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 285February 16, 2024 2:58 AM

Even Griselda Blanco couldn't keep up with their demand for coke.

by Anonymousreply 286February 16, 2024 3:39 AM

[quote] Geldof is an udder piece of shit.

He's a cow?

by Anonymousreply 287February 16, 2024 3:41 AM

R285, U2 didn't become huge in the U.S. until The Joshua Tree album which was 1987/88

by Anonymousreply 288February 16, 2024 5:11 AM

Lionel was a guest on Jimmy Kimmel last night, promoting this special. When pushed about Madonna being passed over for Cyndi, LR said the reason they went with Cyndi was because she had a very distinctive voice that stood out (it was all about distinctive voices on the recording), and there really wasn't a lot of verses to sing among the participants. 39 years later, LR admitted last night they should have had both singers participate.

They also discussed Waylon Jennings leaving (I don't think anyone cared) and Al Jarreau being drunk.

by Anonymousreply 289February 16, 2024 2:25 PM

R288 Not exactly right. I was in high school and college in the 80s.

U2 had a large underground following in punk and new wave scenes in the US from their first two albums, Boy and October.

Then their classic album War broke really big and “Sunday Bloody Sunday” and “Two Hearts Beat As One” were relatively big singles on mainstream radio. They were very popular but not by mainstream standards.

The Unforgettable Fire album kind of kept their popularity afloat and they did a very successful US tour but seem to get bigger and bigger (mainly based on War).

The Joshua Tree was big and the damn finally broke and exploded their popularity in the US to megastardom and they were everywhere and Bono started opening his mouth a lot in interviews and started to get kind of annoying.

by Anonymousreply 290February 16, 2024 3:09 PM

Bono wasn’t happy with SOUTH PARK’S depiction of him. #2 🤭🤭🤭🤭

by Anonymousreply 291February 16, 2024 5:29 PM

Agree with r246 and r247. Still a great concert, hardly any bad performances. Everyone at both concerts seemed so invested and happy to just be there.

Agree also with r290, U2 was already very popular in the US by 1985, at least on the East/West coasts, after War and TUF. Huge with the high school and college sets, they also had huge rotation on MTV all through the early 80s. They regularly sold out arenas on the East Coast by '84/85. The Joshua Tree put them into superstardom, but they were an A-list band even before that.

by Anonymousreply 292February 16, 2024 5:42 PM

To add to r292, it's like the trajectory of the Police in the US: huge radio play and radio hits from Zenyatta Mondatta and Ghost in the Machine (Don't Stand So Close to Me), also lots of MTV airplay throughout 1979 and the very early 80s. Large tours. Synchronicity of course put them over the top into superstar status, in 1983-84.

by Anonymousreply 293February 16, 2024 5:46 PM

R290, that is exactly what I said, they didn't become huge in the U.S. until The Joshua Tree...

by Anonymousreply 294February 16, 2024 6:33 PM

[quote]Madge wasn't invited because they didn't think she could sing. And yet they invited Latoya??

Latoya was the "nepo hire" of the group, obviously. Madonna wasn't MADONNA then; "Like a Virgin" album had just been released three months earlier, and this was before her iconic MTV Video Awards performance. If WATW had been recorded in 1986 rather than 1985, they'd have been creaming themselves if she'd done it.

by Anonymousreply 295February 16, 2024 7:00 PM

[quote]For those who don't know, Dan Aykroyd is there because he's representing the American movie industry, since Ghostbusters was such a big hit. You'd think they could have had similar courtesy towards TV and cause us all to wonder "Joan Collins ... WTF?"

Sure, "Ghostbusters" was a huge hit, but the primary reason Dan Aykroyd was there was because his manager, Ken Kragen, basically made the whole thing happen. The secondary reason was that Aykroyd was one of the Blues Brothers, and that kinda counted.

Ken Kragen was also the manager of Lindsey Buckingham and I think Huey Lewis and the News.

by Anonymousreply 296February 16, 2024 7:05 PM

I finally watched it last night. Loved it. Nostalgia overload. Bob Dylan seemed on the spectrum.

by Anonymousreply 297February 16, 2024 7:22 PM

A&M was Janet’s label at the time. She would’ve been there, but she was doing Fame at the time. The great Humberto Gatica mixed her first album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298February 16, 2024 7:26 PM

R284 I wouldn’t read too much into it. It’s perfectly plausible that Diana could’ve told Daryl this and still he produced Swept Away for her. I doubt she was focusing on autographs when they worked together previously.

by Anonymousreply 299February 17, 2024 3:27 PM

The British Christmas one has a fun chorus, but with the exception of Boy George and George Michael’s parts, the performance and production on We Are The World is superior in every possible way.

by Anonymousreply 300February 17, 2024 5:09 PM

Who will be the last survivor? And when will s(he) die?

by Anonymousreply 301February 17, 2024 6:58 PM

There’s not a song in the Lionel Ritchie/Commodores catalogue that I like. Including this one.

by Anonymousreply 302February 17, 2024 7:16 PM

^ Richie.

by Anonymousreply 303February 17, 2024 7:20 PM

R302 lacks soul.

by Anonymousreply 304February 17, 2024 7:23 PM

I grew up a huge Motown fan, R304; Soul Town is one of my pre-select channels on Sirius. Just not a fan of Lionel Richie’s work.

by Anonymousreply 305February 17, 2024 7:35 PM

Lionel Richie is a schlock meister, R304. Some of the classic Commodores songs are good, but most of his catalogue is dull and sentimental.

by Anonymousreply 306February 17, 2024 7:37 PM

Everybody loves Brick House

by Anonymousreply 307February 17, 2024 7:46 PM

^ Meh.

by Anonymousreply 308February 17, 2024 8:03 PM

Not even Machine Gun r305/r306? Funk on a stick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309February 17, 2024 9:23 PM

That's why I'm easy.... I'm easy like Sunday morning.

by Anonymousreply 310February 17, 2024 9:30 PM

This was a great documentary. Some people sounded amazing.. MJ, Stevie Wonder, Dionne, Willie Nelson while others sounded horrible. You could see who the pains in the asses were too.

by Anonymousreply 311February 18, 2024 1:38 AM

R295 Madonna sang Like A Virgin at the MTV Awards in September 1984 and the Like A Virgin album was released November 1984

by Anonymousreply 312February 22, 2024 10:01 AM

At that point Lionel Ritchie’s music was bland.

I prefer the funkier sound of The Commodores in songs like ‘Brick House’ and ‘Too Hot ta Trot’

by Anonymousreply 313February 22, 2024 10:08 AM

Waylon Jennings' "Irish goodbye" the minute Stevie broke out the Swahili.

by Anonymousreply 314February 22, 2024 10:33 AM

R314 far from an Irish goodbye, lol.

by Anonymousreply 315February 23, 2024 8:49 AM

R315, LOL, you're right. He did say why he "noped" on out of there. When I first caught a glimpse of him early in this program I thought, "that's odd I think I am seeing Waylon Jennings in this group... I don't remember him being in this."

by Anonymousreply 316February 23, 2024 6:28 PM

What is R295 even talking about? Madonna released True Blue in 1986 and she was already a superstar by then.

by Anonymousreply 317February 23, 2024 6:37 PM

I watched it this weekend. What I learned was that Waylon Jennings is a racist, no surprise there. Sheila E. thinks that the only reason that they invited her was because they thought that she could get Prince to show up and she left halfway through. And if you weren’t sick of this song before you will absolutely hate it after watching the documentary. Madonna could very well participated because she was at the awards show that night, there’s footage of her with someone who actually participated but I don’t remember who. There is one very funny part where everyone sings Harry Belafonte‘s Dayo.

by Anonymousreply 318February 26, 2024 12:36 PM

[quote] What I learned was that Waylon Jennings is a racist

You would think that Jennings would have learned to stop saying bad things after this:

[quote] When Holly learned that his bandmates had given up their seats on the plane and had chosen to take the bus rather than fly, a friendly banter between Holly and Jennings ensued, and it would come back to haunt Jennings for decades to follow: Holly jokingly told Jennings, "Well, I hope your ol' bus freezes up!" Jennings jokingly replied, "Well, I hope your ol' plane crashes!"

by Anonymousreply 319February 26, 2024 2:07 PM

[quote]there’s footage of her with someone who actually participated but I don’t remember who.

Huey Lewis

by Anonymousreply 320February 26, 2024 2:45 PM

Those egos were not checked at the door. Doesn’t sound like it at all.

by Anonymousreply 321February 26, 2024 3:46 PM

R318, Madonna presented at the American Music Awards that night, with Huey Lewis and lost the Favorite Pop/Rock Female Artist award to Cyndi Lauper. According to Nile Rodgers, who produced the "Like a Virgin" album, Madonna was deeply hurt that she wasn't invited to the WATW recording session, and while he went to off to join Michael, Quincy, and the gang, Madonna went to his girlfriend's house with Sean Penn.

Months later, she was invited to sing at Live Aid and even joined the Thompson Twins for stretch. But when she was asked to join the all-star finale of WATW, her attitude was, "I wasn't good enough to sing on the record, so I'm not singing in the finale!" and left beforehand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322February 26, 2024 4:51 PM

Madonna looks fantastic in the pic at r322.

There's another ongoing thread here about Madonna and her spate of plastic surgery in recent years. The photo above proves that with good skincare, diet/exercise, and a slight nip/tuck when needed she could have continued to look fantastic into her 50s and beyond. Not the horror show she's become.

by Anonymousreply 323February 26, 2024 5:01 PM

I'd seen clips before of Dylan standing among all the "stars", looking uncomfortable and lost, not singing... and was always curious. He seemed stoned, or fish-out-of-water, or bored, or mentally ill...

But the documentary explained: Quincy Jones had asked the group to sing the chorus again (all being filmed, the assembled on risers) but wanted them to sing in unison in the same octave... so Jones asked those singers who could not hit the higher notes of the chores just simply not to sing. Dylan, whose range is certainly limited, did not sing. I suppose some singers might have chosen to lip-synch, but Dylan just stood there... not playing to the cameras.

I did love that Wonder needed to imitate Dylan's voice and give him a clue as to how to sing that small section. Dylan had likely never had to sing, impromptu, with other singers on a song unknown to him. And certainly, he didn't "fit" into pop music well (witness some of his silliest albums, Infidels et. al. of the 80s). Some don't "get" Dylan... but he won the Nobel Prize for literature and his "music" was primarily folk/American songbook melodies. Not really attracting interest of pop music fans... even today, or especially today.

I liked Lauper at the time, but here she was horrid. Bleating like a goat unwillingly receiving anal sex. I hated Journey at the time, but Steve Perry certainly had chops... beautiful clear tone. Springsteen did sort of take over the song... and delivered the Springsteen product on command. Hard to see into the decade from this vantage point with success/notoriety record sales (MJ, Prince) in the rest of the decade and the 90s, but he was the biggest music star of the time.

by Anonymousreply 324February 26, 2024 5:07 PM

Cyndi, Dionne, and Bruce are my favorite parts of that song.

by Anonymousreply 325February 26, 2024 5:55 PM

"The Greatest Night in Pop." SO embarrassing--does anyone on earth (except the late MJ) refer to "Pop"????

And the song is not even a song. It's a shitty jingle. I admire Prince for refusing to participate.

by Anonymousreply 326February 26, 2024 7:11 PM

Madonna stole the show at Live Aid. She's was the center of media attention in all the press coverage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327February 26, 2024 8:00 PM

Why Cyndi over Madonna?

We're they hoping she'd show up with Hulk Hogan and the Macho Man??

by Anonymousreply 328February 26, 2024 9:14 PM

[quote]John Denver, by all accounts, was an asshole drunk.

I waited on him about 4 months before he was killed. Very drunk, very fun, easy to wait on, extremely good tipper, over 35 %.

by Anonymousreply 329February 26, 2024 10:06 PM

How about some hands across America?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330February 26, 2024 10:10 PM

R327 that was right after Penthouse published her nudes. I remember that when she performed there she said, I ain't taking off shit today. That performance made her white hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331February 27, 2024 12:31 AM

There were dueling nudie pictorials of Madonna in Penthouse and Playboy, so she was at the center of a media frenzy, which landed the young upstart front and center on People magazine's coverage of Live Aid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332February 27, 2024 12:42 AM

Madonna got all the attention.

by Anonymousreply 333February 27, 2024 1:22 AM

Ok Madonna fangurls, enough. She's not in this thing. Let's discuss those who were THERE. I'm surprised Smokey didn't get a solo. Or did he?

by Anonymousreply 334February 27, 2024 4:00 AM

No solo for Smokey, I thought the same thing r334

by Anonymousreply 335February 27, 2024 4:04 AM

They could have given one of Michael's lines to Smokey

by Anonymousreply 336February 27, 2024 4:05 AM

Michael's part in the song is iconic. He's the only one who should've sung that part.

by Anonymousreply 337February 27, 2024 4:09 AM

Janet should've been there over La Toya.

by Anonymousreply 338February 27, 2024 4:13 AM

That is a great photo linked at r332. Seeing Mick and his good friend Tina makes me sentimental. When will we ever see Bob Dylan with his arms wrapped around Madonna again? Never. Hall & Oates clearly having a moment, actually their biggest moment, posing with all of these pop music giants.

by Anonymousreply 339February 27, 2024 6:13 PM

r338 Janet was not pretentious enough to claim she spoke for the world. And it was a lousy song.

by Anonymousreply 340March 2, 2024 1:35 AM

The transition from Steve Perry to Darryl Hall, documented here.

Steve: yes, he's talented, but his voice was extra hot that night. He sang so effortlessly. Take after take, due to Darryl Hall not getting his part right. (He had to keep repeating his part because of Darryl.)

Darryl: intimidated by Steve, I think. Had to bring his sheet music to remember his one line of lyrics. Going way overboard. Looking and sounding ridiculous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341March 2, 2024 2:42 AM

The comments in the video I posted at R341 are hilarious.

Bruce Springsteen admiring Steve Perry's voice.

Huey Lewis laughing during Kenny Loggins, but then serious during Steve Perry.

Steve was hot that night!!!

by Anonymousreply 342March 2, 2024 2:48 AM

I like Bruce and Tina but they had some of their worst music in the 80's. I hated 'Born in the USA' and 'Private Dancer' and 'You Better Be Good To Me' which were played constantly.

by Anonymousreply 343March 2, 2024 5:48 AM

Does anyone remember Sun City, with a glowering Bono?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344March 2, 2024 8:03 AM

I'll have you all know that the greatest night in pop history was when my dear Alfred proposed and I became Mrs. Pepsi Cola!

by Anonymousreply 345March 2, 2024 12:31 PM

^Don’t fuck with her, fellas!

by Anonymousreply 346March 2, 2024 1:46 PM

Then there's this version. I wonder how many people ( other than Tony Bennett) Barbra actually knew.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347March 2, 2024 2:01 PM

And this one from Broadway. It's a good thing the singers were identified, because, otherwise, most would not know who they were.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348March 2, 2024 2:06 PM

Bump. I just watched this last night. Quick takes: Lionel Richie seems like a talented cheeseball, but affable. Quincy Jones is a genius. Sad to see Michael Jackson right before he became a total wacko. Bruce Springsteen's voice was horrible! He seemed exhausted. But still managed to perform on command. Poor Bob Dylan looked like he wanted to hide under a rock. Waylon Jennings just walking away when they began to talk about singing in Swahili Dionne Warwick yelling for a fishburger! Huey Lewis seemed like a nice guy and down to earth. Steve Perry has a great voice. LOL at the anecdote about people confiscating wine from Al Jarreau. They had to record him before he passed out. Oh dear. Cyndi Lauper seemed like an arrogant buffoon. Was Billy Joel almost crying when Bob Geldof was discussing the reason for the recording? FISHBURGER!!

by Anonymousreply 349May 27, 2024 11:40 PM

Why was one hit wonder Kim Carnes there?

by Anonymousreply 350May 28, 2024 12:06 AM

Bob Dylan looked demented!

by Anonymousreply 351May 28, 2024 1:10 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 352May 28, 2024 4:20 AM

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 353May 28, 2024 6:34 PM

Barbra doing Diana Ross’ lines in that remake. I always wondered if Ross reveled in Babs covering her for a change.

by Anonymousreply 354May 28, 2024 6:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!