Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

True Detective: round 4 with Jodie Foster

Did anybody else watch it?

I think there's something there, but I didn't love it.

by Anonymousreply 600February 22, 2024 5:24 PM

Jodie finally gets to do Fargo..

by Anonymousreply 1January 15, 2024 1:14 PM

True Detective: ElderLez Edition!

I'm enjoying it so far

by Anonymousreply 2January 15, 2024 10:10 PM

That last shot of those men frozen in motion in the snow was creeeepy!

by Anonymousreply 3January 15, 2024 10:19 PM

Does Jodie look bad for her age, or does Fiona Shaw look great for hers? I can't decide. They are only four years apart.

by Anonymousreply 4January 15, 2024 10:24 PM

Loved it. Creepy and has me wanting more. I wanna ride that bartender like the trooper did.

by Anonymousreply 5January 15, 2024 10:32 PM

Idiots in the comments on Vulture are saying the trooper chick raped him. I’m so sick of this world.

by Anonymousreply 6January 15, 2024 10:39 PM

Fiona and Jodie bringing the elderlez energy

by Anonymousreply 7January 15, 2024 10:39 PM

R6, that’s ridiculous. I really liked Kali Reis/trooper chick; there’s a real edge to her character, and you could feel that in the sex scene.

by Anonymousreply 8January 15, 2024 10:45 PM

The showrunner has been begging people to upvote it on RT, whining about fanboys of the original series. Pretty pathetic and desperate.

by Anonymousreply 9January 15, 2024 10:49 PM

I loved it and am looking forward to the rest of it. I think there are only 6 episodes which is perfect to keep my interest before getting boring.

by Anonymousreply 10January 15, 2024 11:02 PM

R9 What’s pathetic is fanboy assholes downvoting it. It’s a solid show and the critics agree.

by Anonymousreply 11January 16, 2024 12:28 AM

RT?

by Anonymousreply 12January 16, 2024 12:30 AM

Rotten Tomatoes ^^

I actually liked it, as someone who couldn’t get through S1 - maybe because I can’t stand McBongo. But I like Jodie, and I always like thrillers in a winter setting.

by Anonymousreply 13January 16, 2024 9:05 PM

R10 8 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 14January 16, 2024 9:53 PM

I heard 6 episodes too. I just hope it doesn't get weird and difficult to figure out what's going on. First episode was ok.

by Anonymousreply 15January 16, 2024 9:56 PM

Does it matter if I haven’t seen the previous seasons to watch this or is it standalone?

by Anonymousreply 16January 16, 2024 10:03 PM

Different cast and settings each season, r16. Enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 17January 16, 2024 10:16 PM

Start with season 2. That’s the best season!

by Anonymousreply 18January 16, 2024 10:23 PM

I liked the first episode. Lots of references to the supernatural, I wonder when we are going to find out what really went down with these 2 women. And why is Jodie’s TV daughter such a weirdo?

by Anonymousreply 19January 17, 2024 1:02 AM

R16, it’s a stand alone, but there are references to the first season. For one thing, that creepy spiral 🌀 is back. .

by Anonymousreply 20January 17, 2024 1:09 AM

Wow! Really liked it. So far at least

by Anonymousreply 21January 17, 2024 1:11 AM

It definitely seemed like a rape since she ignored his request to stop. It works both ways.

I liked it but I am dubious about the supernatural components, including someone still running around the space station.

by Anonymousreply 22January 17, 2024 1:12 AM

Was it super-lesbionic? Did the lead characters listen to the Indigo Girls and read Roxane Gay essays to while away the long Alaskan nights?

by Anonymousreply 23January 17, 2024 1:12 AM

R22 I think he wanted her to slow down. Not stop. I wondered if she was trying to get pregnant. And why steal his toothbrush? Gross. 🤢

by Anonymousreply 24January 17, 2024 1:14 AM

Has a 30 Days of Night vibe, at least with the research station situation. And did anyone else notice the wolf jerking at the old lesbian woman was gutting it, just before she looked up and saw the dead ghost guy? THAT was subtle but so creepy.

And there hot trash bartender!! I love it when television shows real men nearly naked. He looks like somebody I would fuck the way the Alaskan nights with. I would throw that guys legs up over my shoulders so fast and plow his ass like a champ.

by Anonymousreply 25January 17, 2024 1:17 AM

R24, yes, she was definitely doing the male thing—getting it over with and getting out. He wanted her to slow down down.

I like the show but it seems cluttered with symbols and “issues.” Do we need an evil mining company AND a sinister research facility? That’s like having two haunted houses in one story.

But, as with the first season, following the online commentary may be the very best part of the show. That shadowy figure glimpsed by the delivery man running through the halls of the lab? He was wearing the pink parka. Reddit analysts were all over that in a heartbeat

by Anonymousreply 26January 17, 2024 2:21 AM

R23 Spoilers….

The two main women characters are straight. Jodie Foster’s daughter is in a lesbian relationship.

by Anonymousreply 27January 17, 2024 2:42 AM

Neither Jodie nor Fiona Shaw have had much or any work done to their faces, I think (and good for them), but Jodie's dyed her hair blonde (it has to be grey now) and keeps herself very fit. In fact, it's a little weird to me how the two female leads are so incredibly fit given no one else in that town is. I guess that's just Hollywood.

The research guys frozen into the ice was really a great creepy image--I only saw two of the men there but the others must have been there too.

It does seem to be a real melange of things: every single eerie detective show since "Twin Peaks" (with the brutal death of a beautiful young woman setting everything in motion); "The Thing"; "30 Days of Night"; every Jodie Foster movie where she's a protective and heroic single mother (which is probably 80% of them since she turned 35). I very much like the feel of the thing though (with those depressing dark claustrophobic houses and the wind always howling and blowing the snow around), and it's got a great soundtrack. It involves so many (too many?) hot-button issues: climate change, the violent sexual exploitation of women, anti-Indian racism, teenage sexting.

by Anonymousreply 28January 17, 2024 2:58 AM

I think I’m going to like it. It has potential.

by Anonymousreply 29January 17, 2024 3:11 AM

The sudden disappearance and final image of the frozen heads reminded me of the legend of Dyatlov Pass!

by Anonymousreply 30January 17, 2024 3:20 AM

r30, as part of this season, Jodie will definitively solve that mystery too, and to the satisfaction of all Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 31January 17, 2024 3:25 AM

I kind of love it.

I think the girl is Danver’s step-daughter from a (possibly) dead partner.

Is the guy making noises in the something’s wrong is starting scene at Tsalal the guy with his own room and the parka? Or a different researcher?

It’s nice to see that they used the great Susan Jacobs as music supervisor.

by Anonymousreply 32January 17, 2024 11:33 AM

R32, the guy having the spasms and saying "she's awake" is the pink parka guy.

by Anonymousreply 33January 17, 2024 12:30 PM

R30, PLEASE don't hijack this thread too, okay? Please? Keep that shit in its own thread.

by Anonymousreply 34January 17, 2024 12:33 PM

I just finished S1. Loved it and the haunting theme song. I am struggling to get through S2 though. I hope it gets better though the mayor's drunken Russian whore wife is a hoot in that one scene in the mansion.

Can't wait for this one.

by Anonymousreply 35January 17, 2024 3:29 PM

Jodie looks great. I am so happy to see she hasn't fucked up her face.

by Anonymousreply 36January 17, 2024 3:56 PM

[quote]The showrunner has been begging people to upvote it on RT, whining about fanboys of the original series.

To be fair, S1 has some of the highest-rated episodes OF ALL FUCKING TIME. IIRC its finale and iconic fourth episode – including its legitimately Scorsese-level tracking shot through the NOLA projects – have a 9.9 rating! That said, fanboys – including some of YOU cunts – hate it when women take over roles that they think "should" have a male lead. (See, e.g., all three of the last "Star Wars" movies.) They review-bomb it intentionally on IMDB & RT.

[quote]I liked the first episode. Lots of references to the supernatural, I wonder when we are going to find out what really went down with these 2 women.

It's quite intentionally designed to be the polar opposite (pun not intended) of the original in terms of setting: that one had two guys in summertime Louisiana, this one has two women in Alaska. (Well, actually Iceland subbing for Alaska, but still.) And since they've come full circle, they're returning to the first season's supernatural elements, which weren't part of the last two installments.

[quote]Neither Jodie nor Fiona Shaw have had much or any work done to their faces, I think (and good for them), but Jodie's dyed her hair blonde (it has to be grey now) and keeps herself very fit.

Jodie's hair color may be the least realistic aspect of the show – including the supernatural elements! (Seriously, that's a *clearly* high-end double-process bleach job with superb highlights. Maybe I know more blonde women than most, but it is *not* easy to get that shit right, and it's not like she can quickly pop down to the salon to get her roots dyed.)

[quote]It definitely seemed like a rape since she ignored his request to stop. It works both ways.

Yep. While it's obviously unusual for a woman to be the assailant, it can happen, and in this case I assume they did it to establish that the character is a boss bitch. (If Danvers tries to state her boundaries, Navarro may very well punch her in the face, and then delete her number from her cell phone!

by Anonymousreply 37January 17, 2024 4:23 PM

R37 I thought the same thing about her hair! I’m extremely doubtful there’s a high end salon at “Ennis” - the end of the world as the sign at the entrance to the town says.

by Anonymousreply 38January 17, 2024 4:28 PM

My dad's family is from Ennis, TX and it seems like the end of the world.

by Anonymousreply 39January 17, 2024 4:31 PM

When Jodie Foster said of the dead Native woman, "Ennis killed her," I had forgotten the town is named Ennis and was really confused. Ennis Cosby killed her?

by Anonymousreply 40January 17, 2024 4:39 PM

It's not just the double-process dye job with highlights but also the cut of Jodie's hair that's quite expensive and professional.

by Anonymousreply 41January 17, 2024 4:40 PM

She has the Audrey haircut, from Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore.

by Anonymousreply 42January 17, 2024 4:52 PM

I just watched the first episode and am already hooked with all the tantalizing details. And I like how the setting -- a remote town in Alaska -- is itself like another character in the series.

by Anonymousreply 43January 17, 2024 4:58 PM

I was hoping for obsessive analysis on Reddit, but all they wanted to discuss was how much they hated the CGI and whether that sex scene constituted rape.

I thought it was interesting the supernatural element affected different people. In season 1, Rust saw visions, but we were never sure whether they were drug induced or truly supernatural. In this, multiple people hear "she's awake." I don't know how that's anything but supernatural.

Do you figure the water going bad is a problem at the mine?

by Anonymousreply 44January 17, 2024 5:01 PM

[quote] In this, multiple people hear "she's awake." I don't know how that's anything but supernatural.

The Fiona Shaw character also sees ghosts.

by Anonymousreply 45January 17, 2024 5:07 PM

What do you think Travis' interpretive dance was about?

by Anonymousreply 46January 17, 2024 6:36 PM

I really enjoyed the first episode. I love the unusual setting. The extremes of the environment create a very atmospheric and creepy sense of foreboding. As someone already commented, all these elements make the town an active character in the story. The strangeness and the hints of the supernatural give the impression the town is an entity with agency co-existing with the humans, but not necessarily friendly toward them either. Anyway, that's what I got out of watching the first ep.

by Anonymousreply 47January 17, 2024 7:02 PM

S1 made had the same locale being a character too. I've been to that part of Louisiana and they captured the dying, poor desperation of it perfectly. S2 doesn't give that so far.

by Anonymousreply 48January 17, 2024 7:07 PM

Total Twin Peaks vibe.

by Anonymousreply 49January 17, 2024 7:21 PM

It wasn’t rape he just didn’t want to cum yet. Virgins and people under 30 should not be allowed to discuss it as they have no fucking clue as to what they are talking about.

by Anonymousreply 50January 17, 2024 7:22 PM

R46, he may have been miming the drowning of the researchers. Ghosts not being able to speak is a big issue in a lot of ghost stories, come to think of it.

by Anonymousreply 51January 17, 2024 7:39 PM

Exactly right, r50. It's unbelievable that this is even a conversation.

by Anonymousreply 52January 17, 2024 7:51 PM

Well, they had the two women brushing their teeth to connect the scenes, or so I thought. They were both at bathroom sinks, so presumably brushing their teeth with tap water. Since whatshername's brother said the water was off, perhaps there's a group delusion caused by metal poisoning or something else because mining has affected the water source.

by Anonymousreply 53January 17, 2024 7:52 PM

Jodie’s haircut in this is definitely not expensive looking. It looks like a small town cut. The back of it bothers me. It’s not balanced.

by Anonymousreply 54January 17, 2024 10:22 PM

I just watched it. I liked it okay, but within 15 minutes of watching I paused it. It didn't quite have the same feel of the first three seasons. Couldn't put my finger on it as to why.

Again, it wasn't bad. It was just...different somehow. (Besides the cast, setting, etc., of course.) I checked and sure enough, the original creator had nothing at all to do with Season 4. So that made sense.

Honestly, it felt more like a good network episode version of a True Detective ripoff. Enjoyable for sure., But not special like the first season of True Detective.

by Anonymousreply 55January 18, 2024 8:19 AM

I tried watching S1 again. It may be great. But I can’t get past McBongo. Really, Woody either. But watching McBongo puts me right into his stupid Lincoln commercials.

by Anonymousreply 56January 18, 2024 11:04 AM

Jodie Foster always looks like she used the bathroom at a public place and found out the stall had no toilet paper.

by Anonymousreply 57January 18, 2024 12:18 PM

R57 😂

by Anonymousreply 58January 18, 2024 12:23 PM

R57, she's just a dry no nonsense lesbian. I love her but I'm guessing her sense of humor, whatever she has of one, would is miniscule. She's probably all business, all the time.

by Anonymousreply 59January 18, 2024 12:32 PM

We re-subscribed to HBO just for this. I am not yet disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 60January 18, 2024 12:52 PM

I'm on S3 right now. None of the subsequent seasons are nearly as good as S1. I also think McBongo is one very handsome, sexy guy after seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 61January 18, 2024 2:21 PM

It's worth it to see "Nyad," if only because Jodie eschews the no-nonsense stern act she usually goes for and plays a much warmer character (who is incidentally lesbian).

by Anonymousreply 62January 18, 2024 2:43 PM

[quote]Honestly, it felt more like a good network episode version of a True Detective ripoff. Enjoyable for sure., But not special like the first season of True Detective.

This is why i liked it more than even the first season (I tried both the second and the third but could not get through more than an episode of either). This episode was less overwritten and the dialogue was less tortured.

The genius of the first season was Cary Fukunaga, not the writer/creator.

by Anonymousreply 63January 18, 2024 2:46 PM

Love Jodi, will watch

by Anonymousreply 64January 18, 2024 2:55 PM

It was filmed in Iceland. Jodie said they couldn't shoot it in Alaska because there weren't enough roads for access.

by Anonymousreply 65January 18, 2024 4:01 PM

She turned down the role of Princess Leia in Star Wars; know why? Her Royal Highness didn't eat pussy.

by Anonymousreply 66January 18, 2024 4:05 PM

Finn Bennett as Pete is very cute.

by Anonymousreply 67January 18, 2024 6:02 PM

^ He's adorable

by Anonymousreply 68January 18, 2024 6:24 PM

I watched it again. The thing that races through the hallway when the delivery man appears at the station was indeed the researcher in the pink parka. He must not have died with the others for some reason. But why did the delivery man not say that he had seen something in the hallway to the police officers?

I predict the reiterations of "She's awake" refers to whichever scary demonic female figure from Native American legend Pete's little boy drew. Very "Twin Peaks."

There's a weird Easter Egg--when they show the bios of the missing researchers on the computer monitor, one of them is said to have written his PhD working under "Professor John Lithgow."

Are those blue lines on the chins of Navarro's sister and (according to the preview soon to appear on) Leah, Danvers's ward/sort-of-daughter actual tattoos, or just pen drawings? Sorry for such a naive question.

And do Navarro's cheek piercings have any meaning in Native American culture, or are they just individual to her?

by Anonymousreply 69January 19, 2024 3:25 AM

On second thought, I think the adult Nartive Americans have actual chin tattoos, but it looks like Leah will just draw her chin lines on to annoy Danvers.

I don't see how anyone thought that Navarro was raping the bartender (!). It just looked like they were having rough sex, with her dominant. He certainly did not treat it like rape afterwards, although it sounded like he has very mixed feelings about her booty calls.

I really like that Navarro and Danvers have this angry relationship going. It seemed constantly like they were going to get in a fist fight. It's been a long time since I've seen that kind of female relationship except where two women are fighting over a man (in fact, the last time I saw it on TV was with Jo and Blair on "The Facts of Life"), and so I found it pretty refreshing.

by Anonymousreply 70January 19, 2024 4:49 AM

R69, when the delivery man walked in, he expected to see people. Someone moving through the hallway may not have registered with him at all.

by Anonymousreply 71January 19, 2024 4:17 PM

I love it. I'm assuming the Rose character sees her dead husband/son/brother?

I'm going to guess that something the mining company is doing is toxic and making the animals go nuts. The bear at the end looked strange and the mass suicide of the deer would indicate this.

by Anonymousreply 72January 19, 2024 5:58 PM

The premiere episode kind of made me want to watch Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

by Anonymousreply 73January 19, 2024 6:09 PM

It really makes me mindful of Fortitude. Hope it does not get as lost as that wooly mammoth did.

by Anonymousreply 74January 19, 2024 6:17 PM

The CGI for the episode has received a lot of criticism on the Internet. I admit the close-up of the polar bear looked unconvincing, but I thought they did a decent job with the caribou herd.

by Anonymousreply 75January 19, 2024 6:24 PM

Polar bars!

by Anonymousreply 76January 19, 2024 6:51 PM

Why is Rose gutting a wolf? Does she want to use the fur? And what are those frames for? Greenhouses? A hogan?

by Anonymousreply 77January 20, 2024 4:35 PM

Was there any of this mystical Twin Peaksy shit in the S1? I bailed on S2 and haven't seen S3. I tried this on the strength of Jodie.

by Anonymousreply 78January 20, 2024 4:36 PM

I'm assuming fur R77. I don't think even they eat wolves.

by Anonymousreply 79January 20, 2024 5:55 PM

I'm rewatching. Again. In addition to the tooth brushing, we see Rose washing dishes at the sink and Annie's brother washing his face at the kitchen sink. I don't think that's by accident.

by Anonymousreply 80January 20, 2024 5:57 PM

I think the link is the water. Early in the episode, one of the guys at the lab makes a comment that "the waters gone bad" in a blink and you'll miss it moment. I may have to rewatch too. I'm getting a feeling this might be The Crazies situation.

by Anonymousreply 81January 20, 2024 6:07 PM

Was Fortitude any good? I would have to buy the whole season for $29. 95 now to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 82January 20, 2024 6:08 PM

I thought it was okay, but the relentless grimness, the messy houses, everyone dysfunctional and barely scraping by, the contant harping on poor treatment of idigenous Alaskans — it was all too much to throw at the wall in the very first episode. I can see people tuning out in droves after ep#1.

They could have included all of the above but eased the audience in with more skill. And maybe had more than one attractive actor in the cast (besides the menschy, hapless deputy).

by Anonymousreply 83January 20, 2024 6:23 PM

I think that's fairly realistic R83.

by Anonymousreply 84January 20, 2024 6:32 PM

I think both leads could have benefited from a good hairwash!

by Anonymousreply 85January 20, 2024 6:38 PM

R83, they were setting the story up as any book, film or series were do. They weren't showing you any of that just to be grim. Each of the scenes and lines had a purpose in introducing you to the character, how they live, what makes them who they'll be as we see them play their parts. Maybe you'd enjoy an ABC sitcom lineup much more. Give that a try.

by Anonymousreply 86January 20, 2024 6:38 PM

Plus, couldn't they cheer up a little bit? So it's always dark and depressed in their town and people are dying horribly. How about a smile? Moping won't solve anything!

by Anonymousreply 87January 20, 2024 6:47 PM

R78, this was not a True Detective series. It was its own show. HBO threw it under the True Detective banner later to save that floundering franchise.

by Anonymousreply 88January 20, 2024 6:56 PM

I wouldn't pay $29.95 to watch [italic]Fortitude[/italic], although I liked the first season. Stanley Tucci investigated the crimes, and I streamed it to see him. Michael Gambon appears but is not a main character.

by Anonymousreply 89January 20, 2024 8:10 PM

I'm wondering how rotten Hank Prior is meant to be. When Danvers is walking around Tsallal, we see Prior sitting in an office sitting at a computer. There's a moment when he's busy with his phone and Danvers says he's having a brain fart. What if he's communicating with someone at the mine about what's going on? He was keeping Annie K's file from Danvers. Was he in on the killing on behalf of the mine or someone else? In the previews we hear him tell his son that "blood is blood."

by Anonymousreply 90January 20, 2024 8:14 PM

Jodie joins NBC TODAY’s Hoda Kotb to talk about her latest role in HBO’s “True Detective”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91January 21, 2024 12:57 AM

R20, in addition to the spiral from season 1, we also see Lone Star beer.

by Anonymousreply 92January 21, 2024 1:01 AM

She’s promoting that Alok guy?!?! I think my heart just broke.

by Anonymousreply 93January 21, 2024 1:12 AM

They did a great job with Jodie's character getting angry at the other police misbehaving at the crime scene.

I really jumped at the frozen man screaming.

by Anonymousreply 94January 22, 2024 1:11 AM

I really like the actor who plays Peter Prior. He has that kind of unusual look where he could be a fairly ordinary real person in a small town even though he could also be a model.

by Anonymousreply 95January 22, 2024 1:33 AM

I'm struggling to care about Annie and the stud coplette who really really really does.

by Anonymousreply 96January 22, 2024 1:48 AM

It's weird that in this Alaska town (which is a state where the men heavily outnumber the women) that all the power seems to be in the hands of the women (now that we've met the mine owner), but that's the point, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 97January 22, 2024 2:01 AM

This is a very good series. My compliments to the art crew or whoever they're called for creating the various ice sculptures of the men.

by Anonymousreply 98January 22, 2024 2:08 AM

I read an interview with the "corpsicle" designer, r98, who said it was the most elaborate and detailed prosthetic ever made.

by Anonymousreply 99January 22, 2024 2:16 AM

So was the guy screaming in the beginning real? I was confused

by Anonymousreply 100January 22, 2024 2:27 AM

R100, I think so, yes. He is in a medically induced coma.

by Anonymousreply 101January 22, 2024 2:29 AM

Was the guy now in the coma the one who had the arm broken off?

by Anonymousreply 102January 22, 2024 2:31 AM

The inside of the old women's house is somewhat similar to the house I live in.

by Anonymousreply 103January 22, 2024 2:35 AM

^is that a good or a bad thing?

by Anonymousreply 104January 22, 2024 2:45 AM

From now on, I'm substituting "laundromat grandma" for "mincing prisspot".

by Anonymousreply 105January 22, 2024 2:45 AM

It is kind of fascinating that after years of playing single incels, widows, and divorcees, Jodie is now playing a promiscuous heterosexual woman. We saw her sleep with her former boss, Connolly, and she also had had an affair with that teacher she spoke to, Bryce, plus she had an affair with the mine owner's husband (while he was still married to the mine owner).

by Anonymousreply 106January 22, 2024 2:46 AM

R103 I like it, cozy.

by Anonymousreply 107January 22, 2024 3:00 AM

While I will keep watching this I have to say I think it’s mediocre . . .

I think the writing and direction are very flat. I miss the high-flying, poetic writing and dialog that Pizzolatto was capable of. This series could use a jolt of adrenaline along with some gothic poetry. The Inuit stuff doesn’t have the shamnistic power I think its meant to have. And the pacing is off, I found the last half quite dull. Even Jodie Foster, who I usually love, just seems to be going through the motions. The mojo is gone.

Also I have a question: how come we never see vapor from anyone’s nose or mouth when they are out in what is supposed to be below-freezing wearher?

by Anonymousreply 108January 22, 2024 3:09 AM

I like it.

by Anonymousreply 109January 22, 2024 3:35 AM

[quote]I like it.

Thanks for your elaborate contribution

by Anonymousreply 110January 22, 2024 3:46 AM

Lol R110. I like it enough to keep watching to the end. It will be interesting when the guy in a coma wakes up if he does.

by Anonymousreply 111January 22, 2024 3:49 AM

[quote] I miss the high-flying, poetic writing and dialog that Pizzolatto was capable of.

That's exactly what I appreciate not having to deal with this season--I thought it hurt the previous seasons of the show.

by Anonymousreply 112January 22, 2024 3:53 AM

[quot]I'm wondering how rotten Hank Prior is meant to be.

When Leah saw the bruises on Peter's face, she instantly knew who was responsible, so we can guess he has done this kind of thing many times before.

Hank Prior also does not seem to be very smart. It's clear his Russian girlfriend is bilking him long distance regarding her "sick mother."

by Anonymousreply 113January 22, 2024 3:58 AM

It’s throwing me off to see Jodie play a straight woman. She never has been believable in that kind of role. Ditto the other female officer who screams dyke.

As for the mystery…it’s very muddled and hard to follow. Everything is disjointed and you don’t really care who is who, it’s also tiring to see people live like rats.

by Anonymousreply 114January 22, 2024 4:20 AM

It's only the second episode. We don't know the mystery yet. I think people up there live different lives than us more southern folk too. I think it's fairly realistic for a town in darkness 24 hours and ice all around.

by Anonymousreply 115January 22, 2024 4:40 AM

"It's a long fucking night. Even the dead get bored."

by Anonymousreply 116January 22, 2024 4:50 AM

Has Jodie Foster ever done a sex scene before?

by Anonymousreply 117January 22, 2024 6:58 AM

Just watched episode one and I hated it. Every character outside of Foster and the younger male cop is pure fucking dirtbag trash. Who wants to watch a season of people I wouldn't waste saliva to spit on.

by Anonymousreply 118January 22, 2024 7:03 AM

And whoever the edgy dyke music supervisor is, I hope she never works again. Every song selection was like nails on a chalkboard.

by Anonymousreply 119January 22, 2024 7:06 AM

R117 she won an Oscar for a VERY graphic rape scene so yes

by Anonymousreply 120January 22, 2024 2:36 PM

So much bad CGI. So bad. So so so bad. And I mean BAD. Anyways, rolling my eyes at yet another lesbian character on a show, meanwhile gay male characters get fewer every day.

by Anonymousreply 121January 22, 2024 2:43 PM

R120, it is apparently news to you, but rape isn't sex and nobody with a brain has thought so for about forty years.

by Anonymousreply 122January 22, 2024 3:05 PM

Jodie had a love scene with Richard Gere in Sommersby, which was a flop. They both were mocked for being unconvincing.

by Anonymousreply 123January 22, 2024 3:21 PM

r122, you're thinking of the idea that rape is not ABOUT sex, but about power.

Because of course rape is sex by its very definition as a term:

rape

ˈrāp

: unlawful [bold]sexual activity and usually sexual intercourse[/bold] carried out forcibly or under threat of injury against a person's will or with a person who is beneath a certain age or incapable of valid consent because of mental illness, mental deficiency, intoxication, unconsciousness, or deception

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124January 22, 2024 3:26 PM

Actually Sommersby was a hit, according to Wikipedia.

by Anonymousreply 125January 22, 2024 3:27 PM

I can take Jodie Foster having het sex as well as taking Eccleston and Shaw.

by Anonymousreply 126January 22, 2024 3:36 PM

The second episode was an improvement over the first, which was kind of dull. But I still am not feeling as engaged with the show as I was with the first season.

The spiral connection between the two seasons feels forced. So far, at least. I'm also having trouble buying Jodie as a grizzled, late career police chief. She comes across more as a school marm. The scene of her and Pete spitballing ideas over why the scientists ran outside was pretty good, though.

Navarro is no Rust Cohle.

The mystery is interesting, but it still hasn't come into focus yet. Water seems like a major part of it, since we've been shown so many scenes of people either drinking it or bathing or something else. I hope it leads somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 127January 22, 2024 3:41 PM

Jodie seems to be playing herself. I don’t believe her as a sheriff (or whatever she is) in Alaska.

by Anonymousreply 128January 22, 2024 4:11 PM

We've been told this season that the Tsalal research station is run by the Tuttle Corporation, and Tuttle was the name of the family at the center of the evil cult in Season 1.

by Anonymousreply 129January 22, 2024 4:16 PM

Oh, good catch R129. I thought the name sounded familiar.

by Anonymousreply 130January 22, 2024 4:23 PM

I’m loving it so far. It’s creepy with a touch of dark humor and the acting is great. Also, Jodie’s body is kickin’! The trailer scene reminded me of that creepy scene in Season 1 where they walk around the house-as I’m sure it was supposed to.

by Anonymousreply 131January 22, 2024 4:29 PM

I like it... it's intriguing when I watch it, but I don't find myself thinking about it after watching it. The music was better in E2. For lack of anything better, it's fine, but not sensational.

by Anonymousreply 132January 22, 2024 4:44 PM

I've never seen the Matthew McBongo season but I've heard it's good. Is it worth my time?

by Anonymousreply 133January 22, 2024 5:20 PM

Some of the best TV IMO R133. The theme song and intro alone got me hooked and having been through the area it's set in they did a great job capturing the sense of poverty and decay in that part of LA.

by Anonymousreply 134January 22, 2024 5:41 PM

Jodie foster has Sara Gilbert disease

Basically unfuckable lesbian MUST be the sexual envy of all men during her duration of the series

by Anonymousreply 135January 22, 2024 9:31 PM

I don't think Jodie is unattractive for a 60-ish woman

by Anonymousreply 136January 22, 2024 11:49 PM

To a woman, yes.

by Anonymousreply 137January 23, 2024 12:01 AM

Seriously, if all we get out of this season is “laundromat grandma”, it’ll be worth it.

by Anonymousreply 138January 23, 2024 12:19 AM

R135, in Alaska, that’s probably realistic. Men outnumber women there.

by Anonymousreply 139January 23, 2024 1:43 AM

Back when my sister was young and pretty she was working in a hotel and an older couple from AK checked in. They asked her if she was married or had a bf. When she said not at the moment they assured her if she moved to AK she'd have swarms of men to choose from.

by Anonymousreply 140January 23, 2024 2:58 AM

R140 worked for me!

by Anonymousreply 141January 23, 2024 11:41 AM

It was uncomfortable, to say the least, maybe even slightly traumatizing to see Jodie Foster grabbing some guy's naked ass and getting fucked like a jack hammer, hearing her "aw aw ooo aw aw aw no no don't stop!".... Surreal in fact. Not only was it an absurd scenario for Jodie Foster to be fucking a guy, I didn't care to see how she might be in her personal bedroom. She's Jodie Fucking Foster, nobody needs to see that.

by Anonymousreply 142January 23, 2024 3:42 PM

I love Jodie Foster but she cannot play a heterosexual character. She is SUCH a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 143January 23, 2024 3:44 PM

[quote] Not only was it an absurd scenario for Jodie Foster to be fucking a guy,

That's the argument that keeps gay and lesbian actors in the closet their entire lives. You should be ashamed of yourself.

by Anonymousreply 144January 23, 2024 3:47 PM

Friendly Request - For those who've seen the previous seasons, please PLEASE keep those discussions in another thread. You've got some of us now wanting to go and watch them, (so thanks for that!), but I've seen a couple of pseudo spoilers for those previous seasons so, if you don't mind, can we keep the discussion of those seasons out of this thread? mucho gracias, mmmmmmWAH!

by Anonymousreply 145January 23, 2024 3:49 PM

I am intrigued enough by what I've watched to look forward to the next week's episode. I love Jodie Foster and I can kind of buy the hard ass chick routine, but the sex scene was laughable. Why she doesn't just embrace her sexuality in her roles, I will never understand.

I don't care enough about the plot to diligently research all of the clues, but there is a "Blue King" sign in the scene with Claire (Blaire?) and Danvers, Claire seems to know more than she is saying, and the prints that they found are partial, which means they want you to pay attention to Claire. Season 1 was about a cult that evoked the Yellow King and the Tuttles have re-appeared.

Then, there is the, I believe, red herring of the water. We are being led to pay attention to the water and whether it is contaminated, "the water went bad." All of the references to water and the mine naturally cause us to question whether the behaviors we are seeing are linked to contamination of the water.

I think Navarro's character is interesting, but the actor playing the role is stiff and I understand that she is an MMA fighter. Nonetheless, I like the tension and anger between them. I'm hoping for some kind of a flashback with an angry fuck between the two of them.

I'll keep watching, if only because there is so little content in which the lead characters are strong women.

by Anonymousreply 146January 23, 2024 3:52 PM

r144 when they're obviously gay/lesbian and cannot play straight to save their lives then yes it matters.

For example, Matt Bomer would be totally believable in a scene where he's fucking a woman. Andrew Rannells would not be believable.

by Anonymousreply 147January 23, 2024 3:52 PM

I agree with r145. I've just started watching True Detective Season 1 and please don't spoil anything.

by Anonymousreply 148January 23, 2024 3:54 PM

The trailer was WAY OVER ART DIRECTED.

by Anonymousreply 149January 23, 2024 3:59 PM

I’ve never known plenty of straight women who are harder and tougher looking and acting than Jodie Foster. I had no problem with the sex scene. Also, she has a great body.

by Anonymousreply 150January 23, 2024 3:59 PM

R145, R148 there is no such thing as a FRIENDLY request on DL you whiny ass cunts who can't get out in front of NOW without being spoonfed so fuck you and your stupid ass oooooh, help me I didn't see it. Boo fucking hoo. But I'll definitely do my best, can't speak for anybody else. Cheers!

by Anonymousreply 151January 23, 2024 4:39 PM

[quote] hearing her "aw aw ooo aw aw aw no no don't stop!".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152January 23, 2024 4:42 PM

[quote]Why she doesn't just embrace her sexuality in her roles, I will never understand.

She was just nominated for an Oscar for a role "embracing her sexuality."

I have no problem believing her as a hard-ass heterosexual.

by Anonymousreply 153January 23, 2024 4:48 PM

You're one of the few r153

by Anonymousreply 154January 23, 2024 4:51 PM

[quote]You're one of the few [R153]

Oh, did Gallup do a poll?

by Anonymousreply 155January 23, 2024 4:56 PM

No spoilers for a ten year old show? Request denied.

by Anonymousreply 156January 23, 2024 5:27 PM

Come back to the thread when you’ve watched the earlier seasons. It’s unreasonable to expect people not to mention the earlier seasons particularly when there are clear references in season 4 to earlier seasons.

by Anonymousreply 157January 23, 2024 5:38 PM

Maybe I'm misremembering, but the scene where Danvers is prompting Peter to "ask the right question", seemed like a vague nod to Clarice and Lecter's back and forth over Buffalo Bill.

by Anonymousreply 158January 23, 2024 6:42 PM

The bartender is hot and the teacher Foster visited was adorable. I want to see more of them.

Is Pete’s wife related to Jodie’s daughter, Leah? Or just friends? Why was Leah at their house? Foster was rude to that grandma.

by Anonymousreply 159January 23, 2024 6:56 PM

I have less of a problem with Jodie fucking a man on screen, I have a bigger problem with the fact that she always looks like she just smelt a dirty diaper

by Anonymousreply 160January 23, 2024 7:31 PM

R157 it’s not necessary

by Anonymousreply 161January 23, 2024 7:49 PM

R152 that scene made me laugh at the utter absurdity. “Let’s throw in a scene with Jodi fuckin’”

by Anonymousreply 162January 23, 2024 7:51 PM

R161 I know it’s not necessary to watch the previous seasons to follow this one if that’s what you mean. My comment is in reference to the multiple people asking posters not to “spoil” the previous seasons that aired years ago in a thread about season 4.

by Anonymousreply 163January 23, 2024 8:40 PM

How was season 3? I hated season two so missed that one.

by Anonymousreply 164January 23, 2024 9:18 PM

Just because she’s a lezbot you assume she doesn’t like a good dicking every now and then.

by Anonymousreply 165January 23, 2024 10:33 PM

It just - well, it wasn't very romantic, is all. Where were the rose petals?

by Anonymousreply 166January 23, 2024 10:36 PM

I want to fuck the young cop. He is dreamy, and sweet, and cuddly.

by Anonymousreply 167January 23, 2024 11:27 PM

I liked season 3. Mahershala Ali is always good. He and his on-screen wife had fiery chemistry. He played an interesting character with uneven intelligence ability. It's hard to explain without giving away the plot, but it made for an interesting character and marriage.

by Anonymousreply 168January 24, 2024 1:34 AM

[quote]Maybe I'm misremembering, but the scene where Danvers is prompting Peter to "ask the right question",

It echoed the end of the first episode, season 1, with Cohle telling the detectives to ask the right fucking question.

by Anonymousreply 169January 24, 2024 2:10 AM

[quote]I have no problem believing her as a hard-ass heterosexual.

I wouldn't mind, but she isn't very good at it. In [italic]the Brave One[/italic], she had no chemistry with her fiance played by the flaming hot Naveen Andrews. She had no chemistry with Richard Gere either. Maybe someone she respects, e.g., Martin Scorsese, could set her straight, so to speak. I don't think I've ever seen Robin Weigert play a straight character, though I don't know whether that's her choice or the casting director's.

I respect that she's willing the play an unlikeable character. Her ex, the schoolteacher, seemed to dread her appearance. But her sex scene was unnecessary.

by Anonymousreply 170January 24, 2024 2:16 AM

I'm bored.

by Anonymousreply 171January 29, 2024 2:10 AM

Finn Bennett is a snack

by Anonymousreply 172January 29, 2024 2:17 AM

Only boring people are bored, r171.

by Anonymousreply 173January 29, 2024 2:26 AM

I loved that creepy shot of the possessed Lund with his multiple amputations inexplicably sitting up in the hospital bed behind Navarro. That was pretty freaky.

This episode had a lot of people self-righteously posturing and yelling, which got pretty tiresome.

I bet we find out that it was actually Danvers who shot and killed Wheeler rather than Navarro, the more obvious culprit, when they found him gloating over the corpse of the dead wife. Then they both disguised it as a suicide.

by Anonymousreply 174January 29, 2024 2:35 AM

That's why it's so good for the board that you're here, R174. No matter how boring we get, we'll never be as boring as you.

by Anonymousreply 175January 29, 2024 2:39 AM

So it's going all alternate dimension Twin Peaks. Disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 176January 29, 2024 3:03 AM

I read you, R171. I’m finding all the mysterioso indigenous stuff pretty fucking boring. Meant to be eerie and haunting, it just seems hoked up and ridiculous.

Season 1 of this series may have been every bit as over-juiced, but it was more picturesque and atmospheric than this, the acting was more colorful, the cast more attractive (Finn Bennett excepted) and there were things in it that really creeped me out. This is just . . .meh.

by Anonymousreply 177January 29, 2024 3:04 AM

R177, I like Foster's performance a lot, and Finn Bennett. I like the setting. It's just cluttered as a story and a little too glacial in the pacing. If you buy the supernatural, it ended well. If you don't, kind of hokey. Still, not a lot on Sunday nights so will see it through, I think.

by Anonymousreply 178January 29, 2024 3:12 AM

Finn Bennett is so hot.

by Anonymousreply 179January 29, 2024 3:18 AM

R174 it was most likely Danvers that killed Wheeler. He was singing the Beatles’ Twist and Shout, which we know she hates. And I think she hates it because she associates it with her dead son (maybe they were listening to it in the car when they got into the accident that killed her husband and son. Was Danvers driving? Was she in the car, I can’t remember if we know that yet) and Wheeler knew that and was taunting her, so I think she shot him in a rage.

Maybe Wheeler was the drunk that hit their car but he got off somehow.

by Anonymousreply 180January 29, 2024 3:42 AM

Does the police patch remind anyone else of David Bowie as Ziggy Stardust? That’s all I could see when they wear their jackets.

(Actually, sometimes I see Gozer from Ghostbusters, but mostly Ziggy.)

Think it means something? Or just looks cool.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181January 29, 2024 4:06 AM

Also, the Bride of Frankenstein.

I need to stop focusing on it…

by Anonymousreply 182January 29, 2024 4:08 AM

So Danvers says fuck this creep Wheeler, and kills him in front of Navarro. I’d say that would create some tension between them. But while Danvers is telling the story to Prior, she lies by saying it was a murder-suicide.

by Anonymousreply 183January 29, 2024 4:09 AM

That’s my guess. And Navarro was pissed so she transferred to not have to work with Danvers anymore.

by Anonymousreply 184January 29, 2024 4:15 AM

I was waiting for a ‘your mother sucks cocks in hell’ reference when Anders stared talking. Oh well.

Quid Pro Quo was another Silence of the Lambs nod, just like the questions thing.

Why didn’t Navarro investigate the orange roller? At least ask ‘yo, who’s out there’ or something.

by Anonymousreply 185January 29, 2024 4:18 AM

I liked this episode but the talking ghost aspect … not sure how this means anything. And wouldn’t Navarro tell officer Jodie the man at the hospital acted like a possessed psycho?

by Anonymousreply 186January 29, 2024 4:33 AM

Who do you mean by the talking ghost? Lund was alive when he spoke to Navarro and Danvers.

by Anonymousreply 187January 29, 2024 5:03 AM

Why doesn't Danvers just fire Hank? He hid evidence from her, he's insubordinate, he insults her to her face... and she's super-tough, so i don't get why she doesn't just fire him.

by Anonymousreply 188January 29, 2024 5:05 AM

The weirdest detail tonight was that Foster's character is on Tinder, and since she's exhausted everyone in the town she gets hit up instead by guys in Fairbanks (which is hundreds of miles away) and goes there for booty calls. That seemed pretty hard to believe.

by Anonymousreply 189January 29, 2024 5:39 AM

I just can't buy Jodie Foster as a cock hungry slut.

by Anonymousreply 190January 29, 2024 5:54 AM

But I can buy Finn Bennet as a cock hungry slut

by Anonymousreply 191January 29, 2024 6:19 AM

r191 I would love to see that limited series!

by Anonymousreply 192January 29, 2024 6:42 AM

I watched 3 and stopped. It’s not interesting enough to watch another drawn out week to week episode to a bleak landscape with pent up lesbians with a loose serial killer backdrop

by Anonymousreply 193January 29, 2024 7:31 AM

Florida there is a pot fairy

by Anonymousreply 194January 29, 2024 7:45 AM

What did Lund say other than your mother is waiting there?

Did Danvers sleep with Hank’s son? If not, why the Mrs. Robinson reference?

by Anonymousreply 195January 29, 2024 10:00 AM

I think Hank was just trying to demean Danvers and he's also jealous of his kid's relationship with her. I don't think there is any truth to the statement.

I had a thought about the orange. One sign of schizophrenia is smelling oranges and I wonder if Navarro's family mental illness is manifesting later in life than normal. Long stretch, I know.

by Anonymousreply 196January 29, 2024 12:22 PM

I didn't know about oranges but that thought crossed my mind too R196. I think she imagined the guy sitting up and talking to her.

by Anonymousreply 197January 29, 2024 1:38 PM

Navarro heard a voice saying “she’s alive” - I assume from a ghost or the spirit world.

by Anonymousreply 198January 29, 2024 2:11 PM

Is anyone else waiting for all 6 episodes to drop? Who has the patience for this week-to-week shit?

by Anonymousreply 199January 29, 2024 3:24 PM

R199 this is old school and, yes, we are spoiled.

by Anonymousreply 200January 29, 2024 3:27 PM

I have a bad feeling about the show going full supernatural/horror. The scene with Lund talking to Novarro was creepy, but leaning into that kind of plot could make the series hokey.

The scene with Danvers and Novarro combing through the trailer contents was interesting and feels more appropriate for a show calling itself "True Detective."

The original plan for this show was for it to be its own series, but HBO turned it into another season of "True Detective." It should have been left its own thing to not taint first season.

The Tinder discussion scene did not work. Jodie has none of the vibe to be scouring a dating app for dick.

by Anonymousreply 201January 29, 2024 3:34 PM

There’s a whole women acting like men do sexually thing going on with this series, whether it’s Danvers and her one track mind, the stepdaughter with the filming of her not quite legal girlfriend or Navarro’s unemotional use of Naviq (sp?)

by Anonymousreply 202January 29, 2024 4:00 PM

R199, the way it's trending for me it has FF written all over it. I feel like I have better odds of paying attention week by week. If it's going all spirit world, zzzzzzzz.

by Anonymousreply 203January 29, 2024 4:03 PM

Oh no, r203. How disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 204January 29, 2024 4:37 PM

Jodie foster is actually playing the role as a gay man.

1) thinks she smarter than everyone with a chip on her shoulder

2) travels far and wide for available cock

3) sexual tension with a co worker and has co worker transfered when things go south

4) inappropriate boundaries with a younger man who looks up to her as a parental figure

by Anonymousreply 205January 29, 2024 4:45 PM

I think Navarro killed Wheeler because of the abuse she saw - it hit too close to home- and Danvers covered it up.

by Anonymousreply 206January 29, 2024 4:58 PM

I cannot sustain interest. There isn’t enough

by Anonymousreply 207January 29, 2024 5:06 PM

That seems to be the problem for this franchise. It got one good one out and the rest are just... overthought?

by Anonymousreply 208January 29, 2024 5:07 PM

There is no subtlety or actual surprises on this season

Season one was lightning in a bottle. We should stop chasing it and go onto new good series.

by Anonymousreply 209January 29, 2024 5:15 PM

There may be a few 60 year old women who chase dick like a gay man but not a chief of police. Everyone would know and she would be fired or demoted.

That and the supernatural element are dragging down this show.

by Anonymousreply 210January 29, 2024 5:37 PM

Well she was sent to Ennis.

by Anonymousreply 211January 29, 2024 5:38 PM

Many reviews have been very strong though... mystery to me....

Rolling Stone: ‘True Detective’ Is Must-See TV Again Thanks to Jodie Foster and Co. / Fourth season of HBO’s neo-noir delivers a gripping Arctic Circle mystery from creator Issa López and stars Jodie Foster and Kali Reis

Indiewire: ‘True Detective: Night Country’ Is a Slick, Snowy Reimagining of the Dark-and-Gritty Crime Show / "True Detective" Season 4 is more than a fem-ergized sequel to Nic Pizzolatto's macho cop franchise; it's a reimagining of "dead girl" crime shows — and a creepy one at that.

True Detective: Night Country review – a blazing Jodie Foster makes this show better than ever before

But viewers aren't feeling it:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212January 29, 2024 5:46 PM

I loved the scene where Danvers and Navarro are studying the boxes of evidence in the Annie Kowtok case. At first they seem to be getting along while sifting through the evidence, and then, for reasons not quite clear to me, the attitude and arrows start flying between them. It was Foster who started the shit flinging.

Danvers: “Are you still fucking that dog runner, bootlegging guy, or are you back with girls?” 😂

Navarro: “You still fucking C …..?” “Anything that can’t run fast enough?” 😂

Navarro doesn’t get out the name because at that second, here comes the cute cop flying through the door. The attack comes to a standstill. I just found the bitchiness hysterical, and very well done. Good acting. All three of them.

by Anonymousreply 213January 29, 2024 5:50 PM

The closed captioning on the wife beater scene had the man singing Twist and Shout. It's clear Danvers killed him.

by Anonymousreply 214January 29, 2024 6:07 PM

This is way better than Fargo. This to be my favorite True Detective so far. Good writing and cast.

by Anonymousreply 215January 29, 2024 6:15 PM

I definitely think Hank is involved somehow. Creepy vibes from him.

by Anonymousreply 216January 29, 2024 6:17 PM

Yes, I agree, R216. Hank is a prick, and he’s hiding something. I realized this as soon as he slapped his son (cute cop), for taking the box of evidence that Danvers was looking for.

by Anonymousreply 217January 29, 2024 6:37 PM

Too creepy? Wonder if he's a red herring. On the other hand, we're three episodes into a six episode series, so maybe it's meant to be indicative of where it's going.

by Anonymousreply 218January 29, 2024 6:41 PM

I LOVE DICK!!! GIVE ME DICK!!!

by Anonymousreply 219January 29, 2024 6:55 PM

[quote] It’s throwing me off to see Jodie play a straight woman. She never has been believable in that kind of role.

Yes, I'm reminded of her "sexy" dancing in The Accused.

by Anonymousreply 220January 29, 2024 6:57 PM

Jodie's a great actress and I love her, but her being into dick is about as believable as Andrew Rannells being a pussyhound.

by Anonymousreply 221January 29, 2024 6:58 PM

I don't understand, R221.

by Anonymousreply 222January 29, 2024 7:08 PM

R214 - “ The closed captioning on the wife beater scene had the man singing Twist and Shout. It's clear Danvers killed him”.

I think you’re right. I think Danvers shot the beater. And then, while recounting the story to Prior (cute cop), Danvers lies, and tells him the case is a murder-suicide. Why lie? To save face in the short term? When the truth comes out, it’s going to erode his trust of her.

by Anonymousreply 223January 29, 2024 7:16 PM

[quote] And then, while recounting the story to Prior (cute cop), Danvers lies, and tells him the case is a murder-suicide. Why lie?

Because it's illegal to shoot an unarmed man (even if he's just murdered his wife) for singing "Twist and Shout."

by Anonymousreply 224January 29, 2024 7:22 PM

R224, it would have been more true to life for Danvers to go with the usual “he was threatening me, I thought he had a weapon.”

by Anonymousreply 225January 29, 2024 7:33 PM

Wheeler singing twist and shout was personal. He was trying to goad Danvers. It has something to do with her dead son. I'm sure of it.

by Anonymousreply 226January 29, 2024 7:37 PM

Twist and Shout was playing at the research facility when Danvers first shows up. The guys had been watching Ferris Bueller right before the died and it was stuck.

by Anonymousreply 227January 29, 2024 7:39 PM

Twist and shout is what Jodie sings when she gives handjobs to all that raw dick she loves!

by Anonymousreply 228January 29, 2024 7:49 PM

If it was either of them, I think it was Navarro. She's much more emotional. Danvers helped cover it up and then Navarro quit and went to the other force. There's lots more to their "break up."

by Anonymousreply 229January 29, 2024 7:53 PM

I am sure we will find out that playing "Twist and Shout" from Ferris Bueller's day off at Tsalal had some connection to Clark's subsequent twitching and saying "She's awake." The wife-killer (William Wheeler) also seemed demonically possessed when he was singing the song in the flashback to his wife's murder scene.

by Anonymousreply 230January 29, 2024 8:09 PM

Hank is probably gonna get it from whoever She is. I can't see him surviving this, especially if he helped cover up Annie K's death.

Leave the hot son alone, though.

by Anonymousreply 231January 29, 2024 8:18 PM

If Danvers shot the beater, and I believe she did, then Navarro knows the true story of how things went down, not the made up one Danvers told Prior. That’s quite a secret to keep among two people who keep bitching at each other on every episode. I still don’t quite understand what’s causing all of this tension and bickering between them.

by Anonymousreply 232January 29, 2024 8:40 PM

And quite frankly, given the “look” and “mannerisms” of these two, I cannot believe they seek or get off on cock. I see them more in a scissoring position. I see them wrestling each other to the floor on a bear rug in front of a fireplace.

by Anonymousreply 233January 29, 2024 9:02 PM

I’m so sick of supernatural being introduced as elements in crime dramas. It’s not a crime if there’s a supernatural component. It’s sci-fi.

by Anonymousreply 234January 29, 2024 9:26 PM

Were they alluding to Navarro being an ex gay by the “back to girls” comment or just bisexual?

by Anonymousreply 235January 29, 2024 9:28 PM

If it ends up being supernatural I’m out. Major zzzzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 236January 29, 2024 9:30 PM

[quote]I’m so sick of supernatural being introduced as elements in crime dramas. It’s not a crime if there’s a supernatural component. It’s sci-fi.

First of all, this entire 10-year-old franchise is premised around the idea of the crossing between the supernatural and the crime drama. So if you're so sick of it, why would you watch this in the first place?

Second, the crime mystery story was more or less invented by a writer also of the supernatural and sci-fi: Edgar Allan Poe. The genres have natural affinities. They are all about the limits of logic for explaining the apparently inexplicable.

by Anonymousreply 237January 29, 2024 9:32 PM

I am the only one that thinks the corpse ice thing looks like something from John Carpenter’s The Thing. It’s creepy.

by Anonymousreply 238January 29, 2024 9:43 PM

R238 it very much does and I think it's intentional.

by Anonymousreply 239January 29, 2024 10:16 PM

[quote] "Did anybody else watch it?"

Since Foster chose to support the vanity project of a sex offender, I haven't even watched the Foster films I own. So, no.

by Anonymousreply 240January 29, 2024 10:29 PM

R240 No one cares what you think.

Jodie said there were nods to SOTL and the first season so you all are correct in your observations.

by Anonymousreply 241January 29, 2024 10:39 PM

[quote] "No one cares what you think."

Hiya, Alok!

by Anonymousreply 242January 29, 2024 10:52 PM

R232 in the first episode, Navarro said Danvers asked that Navarro be transferred to troopers. That could be part of the reason Navarro is pissed- she didn’t want to leave APF. Maybe Danvers requested that Navarro be transferred because Navarro knew that Danvers killed Wheeler. For whatever reason, Navarro kept the truth to herself. And Danvers is pissed that someone knows the secret.

But they do seem like bitter exes who are a step away from hatefucking

by Anonymousreply 243January 29, 2024 10:55 PM

^ I should say Danvers asked Navarro to transfer to troopers, not that she be transferred.

She says ‘You asked me to transfer to troopers. It had nothing to do with Annie. We both know what really happened.’

I’m guessing it was the Wheeler situation.

by Anonymousreply 244January 29, 2024 11:03 PM

How long have you been a Max employee???

by Anonymousreply 245January 29, 2024 11:20 PM

Moi? I’m currently doing a rewatch. I wasn’t really paying attention the first time I watched episodes 1 and 2. I like the show so far. I won’t even be mad if it’s all supernatural stuff. I think the She is just going to be a really, really old creature the miners or scientists awakened and pissed off.

This could've been a nice little stand alone series, didn’t need the True Detective name. Then it wouldn’t get negatively compared to the great season 1.

by Anonymousreply 246January 29, 2024 11:33 PM

I believe that Danvers' husband and son were killed in a car accident and that the Twist and Shout reference is to what was playing either when they died or when Danvers found them. If that is the case, then somehow many people in Ennis knew that Danvers' kid was killed and how. Either dead wife beater knew the story or somehow inadvertently stumbled on Danvers' trigger. Since Navarro didn't turn Danvers in and requested the transfer, it may be that she thinks there were extenuating circumstances to Danvers' action that justify not ratting her out, but still doesn't want to work with her. I recognize that, once again, I am stringing together theories, but that's why I'm watching this thing.

Now, the only question is whether the playing of the song at Tsalal was intentional. If so, this is personal toward Danvers at some level. I'm not at the stage of the theory yet where that makes sense, but it's possible.

Many of the supernatural elements are just as easily explained by the hints that they've given so far: mental illness, alcoholism, concussions, sleep cycle off, mass psychosis and water contamination. It will be interesting to see what elements they leave to the unexplained.

by Anonymousreply 247January 30, 2024 11:49 AM

I thought Danvers pushed Navarro into requesting the transfer?

by Anonymousreply 248January 30, 2024 12:20 PM

Not sure. There was some discussion about Navarro requesting the transfer at Danvers' direction, but I still think that it is Danvers who Navarro is getting away from, not the reverse.

by Anonymousreply 249January 30, 2024 12:30 PM

So the biggest cane faced lesbian that ever cane faced lost her husband and son in a traumatic way. She then feuded with a female co-worker that is a bisexual and has constant sexual tension with. In spite of this, we are to believe that she is always on the prowl for any available cock, even if that means sleeping with men that is inappropriate or driving hundreds of miles away. Also said cane face’s stepdaughter is a lesbian.

So everyone in this story is a lesbian except for the most OBVIOUS choice, and this shows still calls itself a “solve a mystery show?”

by Anonymousreply 250January 30, 2024 12:40 PM

Is Fiona Shaw coming back? So far she's been absent since Ep1.

by Anonymousreply 251January 30, 2024 12:47 PM

I bet the she creature is going to twist Hank up and make him shout. Turn him into a pretzel.

by Anonymousreply 252January 30, 2024 2:04 PM

Twist and Shout being the catalyst for the supernatural evil sounds ludicrous. I really hope it doesn't go that way. "Rock and roll is the devil's music!" as a twist in a prestige drama series would be unintentionally funny.

by Anonymousreply 253January 30, 2024 2:48 PM

Is it a prestige drama series though? One was praised. Two and three were derided. Four the critics love but viewers less so (and as I understand it viewers are an important part of broadcasting for profit.) It feels to me like a concoction by a bunch of creative avante gardes who should have stuck to screenings in half empty art houses. Too much going on at once and way too fucking slowly.

by Anonymousreply 254January 30, 2024 2:51 PM

I went down the rabbit hole looking for the meaning of Tsalal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255January 30, 2024 2:57 PM

Twitter isn't having the supernatural BS. It better not go that route.

by Anonymousreply 256January 30, 2024 4:02 PM

Maybe the song is telling us we need to work it on out.

by Anonymousreply 257January 30, 2024 4:38 PM

Who cares about Musk owned Twitter?

by Anonymousreply 258January 30, 2024 4:40 PM

God, I wish shows would cease showing a screaming woman in the throes of giving birth as part of the plot. This is my most-hated storyline. I loathe it. Just fucking allude to the birth and move on. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 259January 30, 2024 4:41 PM

Qavvik is so damn hot. Give him to me.

by Anonymousreply 260January 30, 2024 4:46 PM

Poor Deb Messing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261January 30, 2024 4:49 PM

[quote]But they do seem like bitter exes who are a step away from hatefucking

This is why their interactions always make me think of Jo Polniaczek and Blair Warner!

by Anonymousreply 262January 30, 2024 4:54 PM

I find the esoteric aspects slightly off-putting but it's a good show and Jodie is wonderful in it, so are the trooper chick and the rest of the cast. We'll see where it goes.

by Anonymousreply 263January 30, 2024 4:56 PM

I love you, r259. The worst is when they crank up the volume as the water breaks. At least we were spared that in this episode, but she birthed a child that looked to be 3 months old.

by Anonymousreply 264January 30, 2024 5:00 PM

R251 She was in episode 2, She got stoned and shared information.

by Anonymousreply 265January 30, 2024 5:36 PM

I'm gonna stick with it because it's still got HBO production values, but this is a real step down from the prior seasons (yes, even the second serviceable season.)

Has anyone seen the prior work of the new showrunner / director / writer behind this season, Issa López? Not rhetorical. I'm genuinely wondering what her prior work is like. She obviously had some critical acclaim in the past and enough interest from HBO for her to helm this fourth season, but, I dunno, the tone feels way off... this show has always hinted at the supernatural, but in a much less direct and more mysterious way. It's downright silly at times. Like some basic cable supernatural fantasy show. Despite the grim story, it doesn't FEEL dark, heavy or sinister the way the prior seasons did.

Nic Pizzolatto is definitely a smug asshole, but I can see why he chose to make it clear he had no involvement in this fourth season beyond his vanity E.P. credit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266February 4, 2024 10:30 PM

The only things I loved about the first season were the fantastic direction and stellar cinematography. I thought the writing wasn't very strong, with all the dull wordy speeches, so i don't think Pizzilatto is a very good judge of his own show

This season has much better writing.

Sorry, Nic.

by Anonymousreply 267February 4, 2024 10:44 PM

*Sorry: "Pizzolatto," not "Pizzilatto."

by Anonymousreply 268February 4, 2024 10:44 PM

I was going to watch the Franklin Expedition series The Terror but then I found out it was supernatural. I thought, “I’ve had it with the blaming real life tragedy on the supernatural.”

Then I thought, “Wait…why watch a series where people starve to death in the Arctic over a two year period? That’s just as bad as watching a drawn out series about a supernatural monster.”

by Anonymousreply 269February 4, 2024 11:17 PM

The Terror was actually really good

by Anonymousreply 270February 4, 2024 11:29 PM

R270, I agree. The Terror has everything that this edition of True Detective does not. The pacing and atmosphere are fantastic; the multiple plot lines are easy to follow. The supernatural is just one aspect of it. There’s no doubt as to what really dooms the expedition.

by Anonymousreply 271February 4, 2024 11:30 PM

I can’t find The Terror anywhere to watch.

by Anonymousreply 272February 4, 2024 11:52 PM

R272, I think it was on Amazon Prime at one point, not sure if it still is

by Anonymousreply 273February 4, 2024 11:53 PM

It's on Pluto for free

by Anonymousreply 274February 4, 2024 11:54 PM

Is it in another language, r274 ?

by Anonymousreply 275February 4, 2024 11:59 PM

[quote]Has anyone seen the prior work of the new showrunner / director / writer behind this season, Issa López? Not rhetorical. I'm genuinely wondering what her prior work is like.

Her big breakthrough was Tigers are Not Afraid. I had heard really good things about it so sat down to watch it. It’s set in a Mexican city in the grip of drug violence, and orphans who band together. Despite how gripping that sounds, I was so bored I stopped watching after about a half hour. And I like slow burn horror.

To be honest I’m a bit bored by night country too. The people are all obnoxious and the tribal setting is too weird and alien for me to feel any sympathy or care about. I’ll keep watching just out of curiosity for the story and because Jody is pretty good in it. I especially don’t like all the paranormal stuff — don’t get me wrong, I love paranormal movies when done well, but this isn’t. It feels like a rebranding of the heavy handed magical realism in TANA, which helped turn me off to that movie.

López feels to me like she leans too much on drab, ugly settings to convey gravitas. She’s not a good storyteller. But the critics praise her work to the heavens and then congratulate themselves about how perceptive they are, seeing a skilled moviemaker from another culture. I find her work boring. I guess I’m not that perceptive.

by Anonymousreply 276February 5, 2024 12:40 AM

I love it and think Jodie Foster and Kali Reis are wonderful in their roles.

by Anonymousreply 277February 5, 2024 2:10 AM

Some of you take this to seriously. It's entertaining and since most of my shows are on break I'll watch.

by Anonymousreply 278February 5, 2024 2:12 AM

I thought tonight hummed with energy... I wasn't sure what was going on but it felt like it was going somewhere. Then Linda Blair popped up and we drove off the road and into the White Lodge. Frustrating.

by Anonymousreply 279February 5, 2024 2:16 AM

This was not a good episode. The show just didn't do enough work making me feel like Julie's death was anything except a relief for all concerned since she was such an albatross around Navarro's neck. I would feel the same if Leah were to go next. It's like the two younger women have been in the show simply for Navarro and Danvers to have younger women to care about--they don't really seem to exist as interesting characters in their own right.

I'm also sorry the show is not scarier. The only really creepy image was Navarro's vision of her sister's dead naked body floating in the dark waters in the abandoned boat.

I keep expecting one of the characters to say, "Wow, look... here's yet ANOTHER spiral!" That and the oranges have been overdone.

I'm disappointed because the show's first two episodes showed promise.

by Anonymousreply 280February 5, 2024 2:23 AM

I think Navarro's boyfriend is hot.

by Anonymousreply 281February 5, 2024 2:33 AM

I like the old women, nice spread of food she made for Christmas. She was a professor, got tired of the bullshit, quit her job and moved somewhere quiet.

by Anonymousreply 282February 5, 2024 3:03 AM

And apparently lived on air.

by Anonymousreply 283February 5, 2024 3:04 AM

^ old woman. I hate making typo's.

by Anonymousreply 284February 5, 2024 3:07 AM

Agree, R276 & r280: Uninteresting characters that are jist a series of eccentric tics in shitty, cluttered rooms with a superficial sheen of a minority ethnic culture to make it seem au courant.

The bottom line is that the story-telling sucks. It should MOVE, have speed and pace and forward momentum episode by episode. Instead it lurches from one ‘revelation’ to another with no real sense of urgency, it never really draws us in, but keeps us on the outside looking in. Whatever the shortcomings of the three earlier entries in this series, they were all more engrossing than this one, even if they ultimately disappointed in their solutions.

We don’t know much more now after the fourth episode than we did at the end of the second.

by Anonymousreply 285February 5, 2024 3:08 AM

I keep hoping it's going to get better. It's really awful but I watch it for Jodie. Two more episodes and that's it?

by Anonymousreply 286February 5, 2024 3:09 AM

[quote] I hate making typo's.

Uh-oh.

by Anonymousreply 287February 5, 2024 3:18 AM

Agree r270 The Terror was really good. Jared Harris, especially, did a great job.

It’s in English r275, but one character speaks a different language a little bit.

This episode of True Detective was just okay. Quavvik was the best part. He’s so cute.

by Anonymousreply 288February 5, 2024 3:31 AM

Quavvik is dreamy, if he is the young cop. Hot bar slut man is hot as well.

by Anonymousreply 289February 5, 2024 3:36 AM

Quavvik is the hot bar slut man.

Peter is the young cop.

by Anonymousreply 290February 5, 2024 4:02 AM

Town heterosexual slut Jodie Foster (!) blew her chance for DICK by showing up drunk.

I will watch this show til the end but the ghost / spirit elements are hokey.

by Anonymousreply 291February 5, 2024 5:12 AM

Likewise, I’ll watch until the end, but it’s not very good. The story is not compelling. I’m watching for Jodie.

by Anonymousreply 292February 5, 2024 10:37 AM

Agreed on season 1 of The Terror being excellent. Although, funnily enough, I found the supernatural element of the Terror (when it was fully revealed in all its CGI cheesiness) to be the least convincing.

I actually never finished the second season of The Terror... I thought the setting of Japanese internment camps was an interesting idea, but it wasn't anywhere as strong as season 1.

If you DO like the supernatural elements and the arctic setting of Night Country, you might also like season 1 of Fortitude. In fact, Night Country feels like it's almost directly taking from Fortitude.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293February 5, 2024 12:50 PM

I agree it's so uneven, so I'm a bit mystified why the critical reaction was so positive. Then again this show was always an acquired taste. Was it ever must-see? I watched series one and didn't even bother with the disasters that followed, mostly because I found series one OK but nothing spectacular. Came back to this for Jodie and she's good, I found her really good last night, good range, but overall this thing doesn't know what it wants to be and the spiritual device to me seems lazy writing. If they can't plot it in the real world, blame the ice witch.

by Anonymousreply 294February 5, 2024 12:53 PM

I don't mind supernatural elements, but it is not working for this show.

by Anonymousreply 295February 5, 2024 12:54 PM

What I find interesting is Nyad notwithstanding, Jodie RARELY works. Like her filmography is extremely lean. What was it about this role that spoke to her?

When reading the scripts, was she like “ah yes, 60 year old cock-hungry slut who everyone dislikes. That’s for me!”

by Anonymousreply 296February 5, 2024 1:37 PM

Navarro is going to go nuts by the end.

by Anonymousreply 297February 5, 2024 1:55 PM

Two lonely men watching Elf on Christmas Eve. How sad.

I want John Hawkes to have some big scenes. He’s a good actor.

Nothing bad better happen to Qavvik. Did Navarro leave the spiral rock at his house? Get that away from him!

by Anonymousreply 298February 5, 2024 2:00 PM

Only two more episodes which is a relief. This season is not good. I’m watching because of Jodie Foster, who I love, but taking this part is a career mistake for her. Unless there’s a major turn around in the last two episodes, I am done with True Detective.

by Anonymousreply 299February 5, 2024 2:03 PM

We're fast approaching Gilded Age-like levels of "I hate this show and I'm watching every episode to tell you all about it!"

by Anonymousreply 300February 5, 2024 2:30 PM

I will never understand why my uncle moved from the Boston area to Alaska during the 50's when it was even less inhabited. He loved it, though.

by Anonymousreply 301February 5, 2024 2:50 PM

Jodie said the role was originally written for someone younger who was really grieving. Not sure if she requested that she be a slut.

by Anonymousreply 302February 5, 2024 2:56 PM

The wife of the young cop put up a pretty tree and he felt guilty. The comment he made to her about hating him was uncalled for.

by Anonymousreply 303February 5, 2024 3:09 PM

[quote]When reading the scripts, was she like “ah yes, 60 year old cock-hungry slut who everyone dislikes. That’s for me!”

Actually, sounds like an interesting part when you put it that way.

It's so inconsistent though. I get we all have our on and off days, but last night she seemed like she was playing a totally different character.

by Anonymousreply 304February 5, 2024 3:13 PM

R304, that often happens on these “serious” streaming dramas when episodes are directed by different people. But Lopez has directed all the eps so far!

by Anonymousreply 305February 5, 2024 3:26 PM

Episode four was kind of a mess. Or at least it wasn't very good. The investigation didn't move forward much, and it felt like the characters were just standing around waiting for things to happen.

Having the series lean more into horror isn't working. It isn't scary. The crazy meth head at the end shouting "We're in the night country!" was silly.

Look like Navarro will probably end up going crazy like her mom and sister by the end of the season.

by Anonymousreply 306February 5, 2024 3:49 PM

What was odd about Fiona Shaw is she seemed like a real coocko for coco-puffs the last 2 episodes and now in this one she’s in a full length evening gown, giving a backstory about being a brilliant professor.

That is the character that makes no sense.

Jodie is at least TRYING to string a character together

by Anonymousreply 307February 5, 2024 5:08 PM

The show seems to be aiming in so many directions it makes me impatient. I hope they bring it all together at the end although from watching the previous seasons I suspect the end is going to be convoluted and not entirely resolved to satisfaction.

by Anonymousreply 308February 5, 2024 5:24 PM

R293 Oh gee, you are the first person to notice that, and comment on ot....

by Anonymousreply 309February 5, 2024 5:37 PM

Honestly, four is the one I've enjoyed most. They were all the most human I've seen so far. But I get the criticisms of it too.

by Anonymousreply 310February 5, 2024 5:47 PM

Next episode they probably find that magic/evil ice cave and Clark. We will learn more about him and Annie K and the spiral and all that.

The last episode we meet the Woman who is causing all this. I bet Navarro sacrifices herself, or does something heroic, but does not leave the cave alive. She can stop seeing ghosts and be dead. And stay dead.

by Anonymousreply 311February 5, 2024 5:52 PM

TV series are annoying in that they stretch a simple story to 6 or 8 or 9 episodes to keep you watching when the whole thing could have been told in 2 hours. That said, some shows do it well and other not so much. This one hangs somewhere in the middle.

by Anonymousreply 312February 5, 2024 5:55 PM

Episode 5 to drop early.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313February 5, 2024 6:21 PM

I’m loving every episode. Loved that Hank got scammed. Rose petals on the bed. It was sad to see Navarro’s sister walk naked into the darkness. She folded her clothes just like the men did. Excited for Friday.

by Anonymousreply 314February 5, 2024 9:53 PM

Jody Foster’s intern ^

by Anonymousreply 315February 5, 2024 10:02 PM

The reviews did not match the product. I can’t believe there are only two episodes left and it’s muddled as hell. I like the characters, though.

That young sheriff is a honey boy. Damn!

by Anonymousreply 316February 5, 2024 10:25 PM

What's with this show? I keep waiting for something..

by Anonymousreply 317February 5, 2024 10:56 PM

Too many loose ends and too many side stories of older lesbians trolling for any available cock.

by Anonymousreply 318February 5, 2024 11:01 PM

Lol, probably true. Still, though I keep waiting. ⬆️

by Anonymousreply 319February 5, 2024 11:38 PM

This is the dykiest show since The L Word

by Anonymousreply 320February 5, 2024 11:45 PM

[quote] Unless there’s a major turn around in the last two episodes, I am done with True Detective.

You're going to watch the next two (and only remaining two) episodes, but then you're done with it? That's not how it works, Dramatic Diane.

If you're done with it, you're done with it. If not, then you're sticking around to see if it gets better. But in that case you're not done with it.

by Anonymousreply 321February 6, 2024 12:10 AM

I’m seeing more and more grumbles online about this season. I am very bummed. The reviews were outstanding and none of them seem to have watched the same show. I cannot believe there are only 2 episodes left and there’s no urgency, no real buildup, and it seems so hokey. What a let down.

by Anonymousreply 322February 8, 2024 3:18 AM

After binge-ing the first 4 ( of 6) episodes of “Monsieur Spade,” I find myself wondering why any of us are bothering with “True Detective,” let alone writing about it for over 300 comments.

Why are the NY Times and New York magazine doing breathless recaps when they should be talking about how good “Monsieur Spade” is?

Written by Scott Frank and Tom Fontana, and directed by Frank, it is at once a plausible extension of the Dashiell Hammett anti-hero story, an excellent mystery that keeps you guessing, an espionage story linked to WWII and France’s disastrous war in Algeria, and a hard-boiled actioner. The acting is excellent across the board, and the writing (both plot and dialog) is first-rate as is the direction.

By all means stick with “True Detective” to find out how it ends (I intend to ) but treat yourself to the much better story-telling of “Monsieur Spade.” on AMC and streaming on Hulu. It also has just two episodes to go.

by Anonymousreply 323February 9, 2024 3:16 AM

Sorry, it’s on AMC and Apple.

by Anonymousreply 324February 9, 2024 3:20 AM

🙄🙄🙄^

Pretentious windbag

by Anonymousreply 325February 9, 2024 3:27 AM

I wonder if Jodie will get more 🍆 in the next episode.

by Anonymousreply 326February 9, 2024 3:40 AM

If so, I hope it’s not with Peter. I don’t want them to go there!

I dont think they will because she seems to think of him more as a son than a potential hookup.

Maybe she’ll hate fuck his dad.

by Anonymousreply 327February 9, 2024 5:23 AM

I have a feeling the dad copy will have some redemption arc. He'll be bruised by being abandoned by his fake Russian bride and refocus on being a cop and help solve these murders even though he may have thwarted their prior investigations. Something tells me there's more to his story. Why hire an actor as good as John Hawkes otherwise?

by Anonymousreply 328February 9, 2024 5:27 AM

Watch the first 30 seconds of this video and it will sum up what all of are feeling about True Detective 4

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329February 9, 2024 6:44 AM

r329 - hilarious!!

by Anonymousreply 330February 9, 2024 7:33 AM

I read the finale script. Jodie Foster hate fucks everyone in the finale. Only Fiona Shaw’s character was saved from the torment of the Jodie Foster hate fuck.

by Anonymousreply 331February 9, 2024 12:45 PM

Fiona would never lower herself to such trashy behavior.

by Anonymousreply 332February 9, 2024 6:00 PM

It’s just ok. I’m in it for Jodie. I agree that the director is *extremely* weak in creating storytelling momentum. It feels like we just keep going in circles, I never finish an episode feeling like we are pointing forward to something new.

Having said that, it’s STILL better than the majority of trash being made.

by Anonymousreply 333February 9, 2024 7:18 PM

[quote] Having said that, it’s STILL better than the majority of trash being made.

Said by everyone watching trash.

“My trash is better than your trash!”

by Anonymousreply 334February 9, 2024 9:51 PM

I'm binging it and I'm scared. Hold me.

by Anonymousreply 335February 10, 2024 4:42 AM

The big Eskimo lezzy is a bad actress and her character is not sympathetic in episode 5. If I wanted to see a huge dyke being socially unskilled I’d walk to my neighbors.

The old white lezzy finally does real acting in the final moments of this episode. Clarice is wasted in this show.

The cute kid cop.::.I don’t know. I want to like his performance but he doesn’t have the oomph to make it real.

The writing and pacing still suck donkey balls.

It’s not going to turn around in the final episode,

by Anonymousreply 336February 10, 2024 5:21 AM

That was some gangster shit at the end of Episode 5. These women running to a dangerous cave in a storm with no experience or clarity … dummy behavior.

by Anonymousreply 337February 10, 2024 5:48 AM

I just watched episode 5, could this show be any more depressing?

by Anonymousreply 338February 10, 2024 2:25 PM

Episode 5 was good overall. The last scene was pretty shocking. And for once, the murder investigation felt like it was going somewhere.

But it was still bogged down by the poor writing choices of this season. The mine protest plot adds nothing to the show. Pete's wife kicking him out for working too much is a stupid plot; is this really the first time Pete has been working a lot? Also, if you pay attention, Pete does most of the detective work while Danvers and Navarro do ... whatever.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it ends. But I doubt this show will manage to stick the landing at this point.

by Anonymousreply 339February 10, 2024 3:16 PM

I don't care about the dead woman I want to know how the lab guys died like they did

by Anonymousreply 340February 10, 2024 3:25 PM

I haven’t watched the new episode yet. Did Jodie get her daily dose of cock?

by Anonymousreply 341February 10, 2024 3:56 PM

The atmosphere is great but then again, how can you go wrong with that landscape at night? But the story sucks quite frankly. And if it all ends up in corporations are the bad guys like it looks, we're all in for a great WTF.

by Anonymousreply 342February 10, 2024 6:20 PM

That would be one of the last places I would want to live

by Anonymousreply 343February 10, 2024 6:22 PM

Season 1 was best, they never can capture that again. It is nice to see Jodie, I feel like I grew up with her.

by Anonymousreply 344February 10, 2024 6:24 PM

No dick for raging straight woman Jodie in Episode 5. But multiple people do fuck her over and try to kill her.

by Anonymousreply 345February 10, 2024 7:44 PM

Why was the last episode on Friday instead of on Sunday? The Super Bowl?

by Anonymousreply 346February 10, 2024 7:46 PM

Yes

by Anonymousreply 347February 10, 2024 8:19 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 348February 10, 2024 8:25 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 349February 10, 2024 8:27 PM

I am really enjoying this season. Suspenseful and creepy. Can’t wait for the last episode. I knew Hank was involved somehow. Got what was coming to him.

by Anonymousreply 350February 10, 2024 10:28 PM

They finally got the ball rolling with one episode to go.

by Anonymousreply 351February 10, 2024 10:34 PM

The marital discord led somewhere, at least, but it wasn't especially believable. I could buy that she was exasperated when her husband jumped for Danvers' calls, but I didn't think she was close to kicking him out. She seems too smart to overreact to her husband's ambitiousness.

I started watching for Jodie. I keep watching for Qaavik.

by Anonymousreply 352February 10, 2024 10:41 PM

Was the woman who worked in the crematorium at the beginning of episode 5 Elaine Miles, who played Marilyn on "Northern Exposure"?

by Anonymousreply 353February 10, 2024 11:00 PM

R352 Qavvik and Peter Prior are the only two characters who act like actual humans.

by Anonymousreply 354February 10, 2024 11:18 PM

It's all about strong but wounded female characters. They're hurting... but also, sharing and caring!

by Anonymousreply 355February 10, 2024 11:58 PM

All the female characters cycles are aligned!

by Anonymousreply 356February 11, 2024 12:02 AM

Is Navarro supposed to be Inuit??

by Anonymousreply 357February 11, 2024 12:19 AM

Navarro is a yeti r357

by Anonymousreply 358February 11, 2024 12:24 AM

She keeps coffee warm, R358??

by Anonymousreply 359February 11, 2024 12:25 AM

Peter Prior is involved. Mark my words.

by Anonymousreply 360February 11, 2024 12:48 AM

Besides who killed Annie K and what’s in the cave, there are also some more secondary (but nonetheless notable) mysteries that the finale will hopefully address. Where is Raymond Clark? What really happened at William Wheeler's house? Is Navarro actually cursed? What's going on with all the ghosts?

by Anonymousreply 361February 11, 2024 1:19 AM

Not to mention, what killed the scientists?

by Anonymousreply 362February 11, 2024 1:29 AM

At least we get to the cute detective in his underwear in the final episode.

Though who wears white boxer trunks to clean up the blood and brains of two bodies?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363February 11, 2024 3:38 AM

Someone who knows he can easily throw out blood-stained shorts without drawing attention. Discarding a blood-stained shirt or jeans would be a bit harder.

by Anonymousreply 364February 11, 2024 3:49 AM

The damn thing finally got interesting in the last five minutes of the second to last episode.

by Anonymousreply 365February 11, 2024 4:02 AM

I didn't think it could get worse. Until I saw the penultimate episode. Did Issa Lopez write these episodes the day before they filmed them? What a mess. They should just retire the series after this. Makes the uneven second season look like a masterpiece in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 366February 11, 2024 4:05 AM

There's a Variety interview with John Hawkes and Finn Bennett talking about the show. It sounds like the main actors rehearsed, rewrote & fleshed out the script at Issa's apartment.

Watched the fifth episode and it's so ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 367February 11, 2024 4:41 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 368February 11, 2024 5:32 AM

R336 - she really is a flatout bad actress. I'm sure she isn't helped by the poor writing and inept direction, but there's no denying she is a very limited actress. I looked up her up wondering what in her history made HBO hire her. She's a professional boxer who started acting three years ago. She received an Independent Spirit Award nomination for her portrayal of, yes, a former professional boxer a little seen indie film called Catch the Fair One. From that to being Jodie Foster's costar in a high profile prestige HBO series? Feels like a bit of a leap. Is there someone new working in development at HBO who would greenlight all of this?

by Anonymousreply 369February 11, 2024 5:36 AM

Speaking of meds: I see you are off yours yet again, DarkMingeLord.

by Anonymousreply 370February 11, 2024 5:37 AM

I started watching this series because of Jodi Foster, and I continued watching because of the mystery of the frozen scientists, which was so intriguing. But then the storylines unraveled with so many loose threads every which way. I have zero confidence that the series can wrap up in any satisfying way, but I’ll still be hate watching the final episode next week.

by Anonymousreply 371February 11, 2024 11:11 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 372February 11, 2024 11:55 AM

The Minge Lord is always unnecessarily crude. There is absolutely zero reason for him/she/it to have so much nasty energy over a mediocre show. You'd think he/she/it wrote a rival show. It's a very clonky plot and the acting is mostly awful (but still interesting to those of us who are apparently either bisexual or lesbian). There isn't much episodic television and this show gave us the opportunity to look forward to the next week's episode. I almost gave up after Ep. 4, but Ep. 5 had a lot of action and many questions were answered, if you aren't too busy shitting on it to watch.

by Anonymousreply 373February 11, 2024 12:41 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 374February 11, 2024 1:19 PM

[quote] always unnecessarily crude. There is absolutely zero reason for him/she/it to have so much nasty energy over a mediocre show.

Are you new here r373?

by Anonymousreply 375February 11, 2024 1:25 PM

DML is Erna for a new generation. Truly time is a flat circle.

My guess is Navarro is supposed to be Inuit via her mother and Latina via her father R357, but your guess is as good as mine.

by Anonymousreply 376February 11, 2024 1:40 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 377February 11, 2024 1:43 PM

Do you have me confused with LL? Please link to what you are referring to.

by Anonymousreply 378February 11, 2024 1:51 PM

DARKGEMINILORD has a raging case of vaginitis!

Scratch that cooch furiously and rage against the world!

by Anonymousreply 379February 11, 2024 2:27 PM

When Hank's "girlfriend" asked for money for her sick mama I knew he was getting scammed. Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 380February 11, 2024 4:07 PM

I love that Jodie Foster was all “I’m in charge and I do things right” in episode one.

4 episodes later she is:

Driving drunk

Dealing heroin

Covering up murders

Scrubbing crimes scenes

Jailing her daughter

Having sex with every available cock near a wide, ethics be damned.

by Anonymousreply 381February 11, 2024 4:29 PM

I just want to get whole damn thing over and done with now. It’s terrible but I still feel invested in finishing it.

by Anonymousreply 382February 11, 2024 6:45 PM

You only have to “suffer through” one more hour.

by Anonymousreply 383February 11, 2024 8:44 PM

This show makes me worry I have dementia. I can’t follow it from scene to scene, let alone from one episode to the next.

by Anonymousreply 384February 12, 2024 12:18 AM

I wish the focus stayed on the frozen scientists, that was the main draw for me (along with Jodie Foster) I couldn't give a shit about the stupid bitch who died and Navarro's stupid bitch sister, or any of Navarro's other personal dramas. The stupid bitch who drives drunk all over Ennis in a blizzard would've been a more compelling subplot.

by Anonymousreply 385February 12, 2024 12:23 AM

I want to see the young cop naked. Is that too much to ask? Am I reaching for the stars here? Not really…

by Anonymousreply 386February 12, 2024 12:30 AM

I know Ennis is fictional, but it seems rather big for a town on the Arctic Ocean.

by Anonymousreply 387February 12, 2024 12:32 AM

Fiona Shaw for the murderer

by Anonymousreply 388February 12, 2024 1:35 AM

TD

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 389February 12, 2024 1:40 AM

young cop gives young Matt Dillon vibes, naked pics would be a plus

by Anonymousreply 390February 12, 2024 1:52 AM

Whoa, I wasn't expecting the young cop to do that.

by Anonymousreply 391February 12, 2024 2:08 AM

What is the young cop's wife's problem? She married a cop and cops have to often work odd hours and holidays.

by Anonymousreply 392February 12, 2024 11:29 AM

I wonder if the good looking boyfriend of Navarro is somehow involved in whatever the hell is going on?

by Anonymousreply 393February 12, 2024 11:37 AM

R388 you read my mind.

by Anonymousreply 394February 12, 2024 1:36 PM

Fiona Shaw being the killer would be interesting, but I can’t fathom her motives except that she’s batshit crazy.

But it’s a good call, nothing she has done in the series so far justifies using such a noted actress in such a minor (so far) role.

by Anonymousreply 395February 12, 2024 2:23 PM

Plus she’s had so little screen time. Murder mystery 101 - the killer is someone you haven’t seen throughout the middle of the series. There will be a rush ending that explains a ton of backstory in one short hour. This whole series seems like filler. Really, just watch the first and last episodes.

by Anonymousreply 396February 12, 2024 2:58 PM

The killer of the scientists? You think she is the ‘she’ that was awakened?

I don’t think she is, but knows a lot about what’s going on. Maybe Travis told her.

R393 no way. He’s just a good, sexy dude. Nothing nefarious about him, except his love of SpongeBob.

I think Navarro will die in the ice cave. She’ll see some more ghosts, like the one eyed polar bear, Annie K, the army lady with half a face, Jodie’s son, maybe her sister, and then sacrifice herself in some way so that Jodie can survive. She seems to be losing it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 397February 12, 2024 3:08 PM

One episode left, series seem to be getting very short.

by Anonymousreply 398February 12, 2024 3:33 PM

They haven't been consistent with Ennis r387, it started off giving the impression this is a tiny artic town but now it seems rather sizable. I mean the fact that they even have a mental health facility like the Lighthouse in town speaks to larger population.

by Anonymousreply 399February 12, 2024 3:42 PM

It seems very short because there are episodes in which nothing consequential has happened r398

The pacing is terrible in this season

by Anonymousreply 400February 12, 2024 3:43 PM

Remote rural towns sometimes have more things than you’d expect just because they are providing services to such a wide geographic area.

Interesting theory about Fiona Shaw. Didn’t she say something about moving to Alaska because it was quiet except for the dead? I haven’t heard Travis make a peep so maybe she killed the scientists for waking up the screaming lady ghost and bothering her peace. I know I can sure get annoyed by loud neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 401February 12, 2024 4:18 PM

I think the young Prior killed Annie...His father was being payed by the mine...Prior was young with a kid on the way and probably needed money so he hooked him up with the mine....Before the father was killed he said "blood is blood" and said he didn't kill Annie but did move the body.....

by Anonymousreply 402February 12, 2024 4:37 PM

I think you're right R402. The father told him to remember family is family no matter what or something to that effect.

by Anonymousreply 403February 12, 2024 5:16 PM

In episode 2 Rose is telling Navarro about Travis leaving her the night he died. "One last gift from Travis Cohle, I got to meet you."

Travis was Rustin Cohle's father. I've waited for someone else to say something.

by Anonymousreply 404February 12, 2024 6:41 PM

Didn’t Annie die six or seven years before the show? Peter would’ve been in high school then. I doubt he killed her or had anything to do with it.

Someone killed her inside the ice cave and Hank moved her body. I don’t think Clark killed her. We’ll see!

by Anonymousreply 405February 12, 2024 6:45 PM

It was the one-eyed polar bar.

by Anonymousreply 406February 12, 2024 8:02 PM

Or, the one-eyed polar bear.

by Anonymousreply 407February 12, 2024 9:06 PM

I was hoping the one-eyed polar bear was going to show up in episode 5.

by Anonymousreply 408February 12, 2024 9:36 PM

Obviously you don’t know about polar bars, R407.

by Anonymousreply 409February 12, 2024 10:08 PM

I am shocked this series ended up this bad. Virtually nothing has happened over 5 or the 6 episodes. The reviews were off the charts great.

by Anonymousreply 410February 12, 2024 10:11 PM

It's all fucking domestic/family drama with characters I couldn't give a shit about. This show is supposed to be a mystery involving a murder.

That said, Jodie's performance is great and the only reason to watch. And also that piece of ass Finn Bennett.

by Anonymousreply 411February 12, 2024 10:26 PM

I thought the first two episodes were really promising, which is what probably led to the good reviews.

But unfortunately the show ended up being pretty disappointing, there are the bones of a much better series here. The scripts needed another pass.

by Anonymousreply 412February 12, 2024 10:36 PM

They have maybe 5 or more story threads they have to resolve. The show runners have been telling press that the killer has been in front of us all season, so I am prepared to be underwhelmed.

by Anonymousreply 413February 12, 2024 10:43 PM

I used to have Jodie's The North Face fleece jacket but mine was purple instead of red.

by Anonymousreply 414February 12, 2024 10:43 PM

R413 it’s the Laundromat Grandma. I’m sure of it.

by Anonymousreply 415February 12, 2024 10:56 PM

[quote]I wish the focus stayed on the frozen scientists, that was the main draw for me (along with Jodie Foster)

The same here. It reminded me of "The Thing" and the Dyatlov pass case.

by Anonymousreply 416February 13, 2024 2:18 AM

Navarro surmised that Rose Aguineau wasn't her real name. Someone Rose's identity or academic specialty will provide a link that resolves the case. I'm leaning more toward her academic background, maybe semiotics or paleontology.

The stuff that doesn't ring true is annoyingly obvious. I did think that distracting Navarro so he could tend to a dislocated finger was the sort of thing a bartender would know to do, though not with a feigned proposal.

by Anonymousreply 417February 13, 2024 2:36 AM

“Obviously you don’t know about polar bars, R407”

Well don’t keep us in suspense, R409. Enlighten us.

by Anonymousreply 418February 13, 2024 2:40 AM

Meh, R418. It was one of those old DL things from years ago, like cak and now bearking news. Someone said polar bars instead of bears, and it mildly amused DLers until it didn’t. I don’t know how long ago that was, but I’ve been checking in since about 2000. I can’t even find a thread on it. So, yeah. I’m old. I guess that’s the gist of it.

by Anonymousreply 419February 13, 2024 2:46 AM

Dinosours!

by Anonymousreply 420February 13, 2024 3:09 AM

It was Ypir! Ypir is She!! She’s coming down that catwalk for you!

by Anonymousreply 421February 13, 2024 3:54 AM

At this point, I'm leaning toward some form of indigenous revenge for polluting the water. I have no idea how the old lady professor plays into this, but the reference to her having a different name makes me think she's helped the indigenous women and the lady with the missing fingers take revenge on the mine. This, of course, begs the question of why they wouldn't flash freeze the lady who owns the mine in the fish freezer, instead of the scientists. I am just watching for the end because I have no idea how they will wrap this up in an hour.

by Anonymousreply 422February 13, 2024 2:15 PM

The professor is involved. I agree with everyone else. Its mystery 101 when someone who is a big name, have a big reveal in act 3.

The biggest example of course is Laurie Metcalf in Scream 2z

by Anonymousreply 423February 13, 2024 3:26 PM

I don’t think rose killed the scientists. She didn’t know they were out there dead until Travis showed her. Maybe Navarro had a psychotic episode and turned into the killer and chased them out into the snow. With her one eyed polar bear/bar sidekick. But she doesn’t remember it.

Or she got possessed by the spirit of the ancient thing in the cave and did it.

by Anonymousreply 424February 13, 2024 3:47 PM

I've enjoyed the sharp-featured Jody - she is aging like fine wine. I've enjoyed Kali Reis, a strong screen presence. I've enjoyed the Icelandic atmospheres, the claustrophobic interiors (absolutely on target for working-class arctic), the cute younger cop.

But as stated on this thread: way too many plot lines, braided, erased, then revived. Ultimately, who cares who killed whom? And the police chief who steals and tampers with evidence, drives drunk, holds heroin, fucks fellow workers.... Foster is always interesting in that brittle lesbo way, and it'd fun to see her convincingly get some dick, but her character makes no sense to any rational human.

It will be interesting to see how they resolve story lines... but I predict some plot points will be ignored. Yeah, Fiona Shaw is involved in the scientists' death/mystery... but, so what?

by Anonymousreply 425February 13, 2024 3:57 PM

Maybe old lady rose is somehow behind the mine company....Depending on who she really is she could of started it back in the day and is still running it...Maybe the angry mine lady is her daughter

by Anonymousreply 426February 13, 2024 4:15 PM

I keep waiting for a terrifying payoff the with the massive polar bear. I'd like to see it come charging into the offices of the mining company, ripping people apart while the security guards try and fail to kill it with handguns. Five episodes in and we still haven't seen the classic True Detective action scene.

by Anonymousreply 427February 13, 2024 4:44 PM

I'd like to get more back story on Danvers' dead husband and son.

by Anonymousreply 428February 13, 2024 4:46 PM

I don’t think the polar bear is real. He’s a vision that Navarro and Danvers and whoever else see. Danvers’ kid had a stuffed polar bear with one eye missing, so this bear is a representation of that. Maybe in the last episode it’ll talk and it will be Holden’s (the dead kid) voice. I do think we will see it again and it will be useful for something.

by Anonymousreply 429February 13, 2024 5:46 PM

I think we're trying to make sense out of every single mystery in the show and my hunch is very few will get an explanation in the 45 minutes left.

by Anonymousreply 430February 13, 2024 5:57 PM

Travis' dance creeper me out.

by Anonymousreply 431February 13, 2024 6:17 PM

True Detective‘s current season has become the most watched in the anthology’s history at HBO.

The Jodie Foster- and Kali Reis-led fourth season, subtitled Night Country, is averaging 12.7 million viewers across all platforms since its Jan. 14 premiere. The show has supplanted True Detective’s first season, which aired a decade ago, as the biggest to date; season one averaged 11.9 million viewers across platforms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432February 13, 2024 7:12 PM

To settle this once and for all: "polar bars" is a pull quote from a Lost (the TV series) thread on DL circa 2005 or so. The thread title was like, "Polar bars! Smoke Monsters! Evangeline Lily!" Something to that effect.

God, I'm old.

by Anonymousreply 433February 13, 2024 7:20 PM

R432 - no denying that is impressive in this age of endless streaming options. Perhaps there's hope for a fifth season WITH A DIFFERENT SHOWRUNNER.

by Anonymousreply 434February 14, 2024 1:05 AM

Polar Bars must be like Klondike Bars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435February 14, 2024 1:19 AM

R433 I am also that old. Thank you for pulling that reference from the prancing ponies days of yore.

by Anonymousreply 436February 14, 2024 12:27 PM

That’s it, R433! I couldn’t remember, and never watched Lost.

Anyway, to get back to our regularly scheduled programming, I have zero clue which way this is going to end. I hate when they say there are obvious clues that only become obvious after-the-fact. And after someone points them out.

by Anonymousreply 437February 14, 2024 2:03 PM

People are watching it because Jodie Foster is a draw. I have never watched these shows before, but I’m watching it for her.

This show would not get these ratings with a lesser star in the part.

by Anonymousreply 438February 14, 2024 2:29 PM

I think Jodie is part of the appeal but they also released it at a good time and murder shows are popular.

by Anonymousreply 439February 14, 2024 2:33 PM

Based on the ratings, HBO will probably do a fifth season. Hopefully that one will be better written.

by Anonymousreply 440February 14, 2024 3:37 PM

I agree r438. This show would not have survived without Jodie.

by Anonymousreply 441February 14, 2024 3:38 PM

Jodie was the reason that I watched season 4

Season 1 was amazing, but I skipped season 2 and 3 because the reviews were so bad.

Season 4 starred the great Jodie Foster as a law enforcement officer…how could say no? I had visions of Clarice Starling 40 years later.

I feel vaguely cheated that season 4 is crap. A waste of a situation that we won’t see again.

by Anonymousreply 442February 14, 2024 4:19 PM

R442, even if the finale doesn’t land well, I still enjoyed the shit out of Jodie. She was a brittle cunt in this role, and I like to believe that’s kind of who Jodie really is. The entertainment world needs more brittle cunts, it is soooooooooooooo refreshing for me as a woman to see a character who isn’t the dutiful mother, the dutiful wife, the dutiful friend, the dutiful cop, the dutiful boss, the dutiful lover, the dutiful submissive woman who always stands in the shadow of a man, and not only refuses to be shadowed by a man, but also refused to be likable. She’s just a cunt, “I hate everyone.” So refreshing.

by Anonymousreply 443February 14, 2024 5:05 PM

I thought the first two episodes were great, but they were misleading. The showrunner wanted to make a miniseries on woke themes about strong wounded women and toxic masculinity, which is why Jodie Foster wanted to do it.

by Anonymousreply 444February 14, 2024 5:33 PM

Is anyone else disgusted by Danvers' foster daughter, Leah? What a bitch. "She" hasn't given up on Danvers? Well golly gee, great. What's so great about her? She causes her stepmom grief all the time by fooling around with a minor and going rogue at the mine property. Oh wait, going rogue and fooling around means she's just like stepmom after all.

Was not expecting Prior to volunteer for cleanup after the last scene...

by Anonymousreply 445February 14, 2024 6:02 PM

They have polar bar license plates in Yukon.

by Anonymousreply 446February 14, 2024 9:14 PM

[quote] She causes her stepmom grief all the time by fooling around with a minor and going rogue at the mine property. Oh wait, going rogue and fooling around means she's just like stepmom after all.

Going rogue means she's just like her former governor!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 447February 14, 2024 9:29 PM

Absolutely I watched for Jodie, but the reviews were so great I would have watched anyway. Since it’s so short with 6 episodes you almost can’t stop watching because something major is bound to happen any moment. Yet, it doesn’t. Biggest disappointment in a long time. It pisses me off. Jodie was wasted.

by Anonymousreply 448February 14, 2024 9:35 PM

Oops, it's Northwest Territories that has a polar bear licence plate, not Yukon.

by Anonymousreply 449February 14, 2024 9:40 PM

Is that shitty series still putting out weekly episodes??

by Anonymousreply 450February 14, 2024 9:44 PM

It's not a series: it's just a miniseries..

There is one more episode to go, on Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 451February 14, 2024 9:48 PM

Episode 5 is intense. Sheesh!

by Anonymousreply 452February 14, 2024 11:36 PM

Jodie has described her character as Alaska Karen. I think it could have been better with a more sexy actress who wasn’t 62.

by Anonymousreply 453February 15, 2024 12:06 AM

My choice for Danvers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454February 15, 2024 12:10 AM

Very many people like and respect Jodie as an actress. Her most famous role will always be as Clarice Starling and everyone has seen that movie.

by Anonymousreply 455February 15, 2024 12:19 AM

R454, the character is a cop in Alaska, not a model

by Anonymousreply 456February 15, 2024 12:40 AM

R454 R456 At several points in the series so far I thought of Winslet and Easttown.... and how she'd heated this up with bit more meat as opposed to the avian brittle beauty that is Foster.

by Anonymousreply 457February 15, 2024 1:56 AM

IRL are there any 61-year old police chiefs the size of an 11 year old girl?

by Anonymousreply 458February 15, 2024 2:54 AM

R457, you are a true wordsmith.

by Anonymousreply 459February 15, 2024 3:06 AM

R457 fucked up his third conditional, so no.

by Anonymousreply 460February 15, 2024 8:31 AM

Easttown was checkers… True Detective is Snakes & Ladders.

by Anonymousreply 461February 15, 2024 11:18 AM

This season of True Detective is Rummikub

by Anonymousreply 462February 15, 2024 12:04 PM

R460 A typo. Just an extra D on the heat. But point, and D, taken.

by Anonymousreply 463February 15, 2024 2:36 PM

Jodie Foster's lifetime of pursing her non-existent lips has done no favors to the structure of her lower face.

by Anonymousreply 464February 16, 2024 8:56 AM

I think Peter the young cop is a killer. I just watched those episodes again, and I think Hank was covering up something for his son. I'm not sure what "Rose" is. A ghost or maybe she's that polar bear.

by Anonymousreply 465February 17, 2024 3:27 AM

So we went back to watch the first few episodes of season 1 and it wasn't worth it. MM's performance is so over the top it's almost campy.

Not saying this season is great, but there is something satisfying about seeing Jodie play a cop again.

by Anonymousreply 466February 17, 2024 1:44 PM

Damn, they won’t let us stream it same day before it airs tonight.

by Anonymousreply 467February 18, 2024 10:11 PM

good already.

by Anonymousreply 468February 19, 2024 1:20 AM

Oh, please. Sistahs doing it fer theyselves.

So in the end it’s like MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS, only not nearly as good. Or convincing.

by Anonymousreply 469February 19, 2024 2:14 AM

When doulas commit mass murder, it's not a crime if they do it in the cause of Indigenous sisterhood!

by Anonymousreply 470February 19, 2024 2:18 AM

So the cops went lezlez in the end?

by Anonymousreply 471February 19, 2024 2:20 AM

The scene of Danvers becoming enraged with Navarro talking about her son was a sublime piece of acting by Jodie.

by Anonymousreply 472February 19, 2024 2:25 AM

R472, watching her tonight I kept thinking how I wished she'd return to acting. She's got star quality, as unlikely as it seems.

by Anonymousreply 473February 19, 2024 2:27 AM

What a waste

by Anonymousreply 474February 19, 2024 2:32 AM

Thoughts on the last scene?

by Anonymousreply 475February 19, 2024 2:34 AM

BFFs4evah!

by Anonymousreply 476February 19, 2024 2:43 AM

R475 Peaceful, quite a contrast to everything before it.

by Anonymousreply 477February 19, 2024 2:46 AM

Peter should’ve done the whole series in his underwear. What a cutie.

by Anonymousreply 478February 19, 2024 2:50 AM

Since Navarro doesn't want her boyfriend anymore, I'll take him.

by Anonymousreply 479February 19, 2024 2:51 AM

Good interview with Issa Lopez for Slate about the finale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 480February 19, 2024 2:59 AM

It was #MeToo all along

by Anonymousreply 481February 19, 2024 3:01 AM

All time is a circle. In another life they’re living in a dyke paradise in a cabin on a lake.

by Anonymousreply 482February 19, 2024 3:04 AM

From the lack of responses, DL rightfully checked out a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 483February 19, 2024 3:07 AM

It sucks so far.

by Anonymousreply 484February 19, 2024 3:08 AM

I liked the ambiguity at the end that Navarro could have survived, or that it could be her spirit on the porch with Danvers.

by Anonymousreply 485February 19, 2024 3:08 AM

I wasted 6 hours of my life on this crap

Jodie and Peter Prior deserved better.

The viewing audience deserved better

by Anonymousreply 486February 19, 2024 3:13 AM

Biggest disappointment in a long time

by Anonymousreply 487February 19, 2024 3:14 AM

It ended far better than I expected. I assumed it was going full Twin Peaks, but it didn't.

by Anonymousreply 488February 19, 2024 3:19 AM

Ugh. I should have known it would go woke and turn into a Nan Womyn Fest ending.

by Anonymousreply 489February 19, 2024 3:21 AM

Nan Alaskawomyn!

by Anonymousreply 490February 19, 2024 3:29 AM

Man on the land!

by Anonymousreply 491February 19, 2024 3:32 AM

Did the Hawaii coffee mug mean something? I like to think Navarro sent it to Danvers from Hawaii. Maybe when Danvers said Navarro wasn’t on the ice she meant she was on the beach. And the ending was Danvers on her porch in AK and Navarro on hers in HI. Thinking about each other.

by Anonymousreply 492February 19, 2024 3:33 AM

Wouldn't Navarro's cheek piercings be incredibly impractical in a sub-zero climate like the Arctic Circle?

by Anonymousreply 493February 19, 2024 4:49 AM

This was truly dreadful. Far worse than the somewhat disappointing second season. Issa Lopez is a hack.

Unfortunately, for some reason, this season has been critically acclaimed and its had VERY high viewership. Have an awful, sneaking suspicion it will be back for a fifth season, but... JUMP SCARE.... Lopez will be back as showrunner.

Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 494February 19, 2024 8:23 AM

What a waste of time. I knew ishould have quit after the 2nd episode. I just kept waiting to be entertained and blown away. Oh well, I'll go back to "Kitchen Nightmares ".

by Anonymousreply 495February 19, 2024 11:14 AM

I agree r488. The finale actually surprised me in a good way. I thought it was a pretty strong end to the show. Still was a pretty flawed season, but I thought it ended well for what it was.

by Anonymousreply 496February 19, 2024 12:32 PM

It managed, somehow, to make me care about Foster's character and somewhat about the cop's kid's character and Navarro. It just felt unfocussed and wandering, yet the burst of events and twists in the last two episodes made it hum along. Strangely constructed show. To me the greatest indicator of a great show is that you can watch it again... either beginning to end of just certain episodes. This one I won't see again.

I really wish Foster would take up acting again.

by Anonymousreply 497February 19, 2024 1:07 PM

Why did I sit through that last night? That's the real question. We are somehow supposed to believe that an entire subterranean lair exists under the artic ice and that they worked like squirrels under there ... doing what, what needed to be hidden? Why hide it? They're out in the middle of nfw. Who's going to see their super spooky laboratory?

I knew the woman with missing parts of digits would be the killer along with the lady who helped her. That's because the plot was so thin that I figured it out after they displayed a fingerprint in Ep. 2 or 3 with MISSING FINGER PARTS. For some reason, this vital piece of forensics is completely dismissed, or never spoken of again. "Gee, who around here has missing fingers? That might narrow down the suspects to something other than polar bars and spooky, weird lung punchers."

One janitor finding the exact implement of Annie's death, the unique star shaped thing, down in the scary ice cave. The raiding party on Tsalal by the angry doulas -- I started laughing out loud. Yes, finally a comedic moment.

Peter Prior was a wasted character arc. Rose, the lung puncher, apparently serves as the community's helpful coroner/mortician, just fine with a guy murdering his dad and casually dumping him into the sea. In fact, there was really no purpose to Hank's death or the Hice guy. It just allowed for action scenes in Ep. 6. Hank would have been a better antagonist if they had left him alive. Hice's death added almost nothing. They could have killed him with an OD.

There were so many inconsistencies and plot holes that I can't list them all. I realize that we need to suspend disbelief in order to be entertained, but at some point it knocks you out of the show.

The acting was good enough to make me keep watching, though. Jodie was really good in a lot of scenes last night. I thought that the scene with Navarro about her kid was pretty well done and I think consistent with a character that translates fear into anger. There were other moments where she was really good. While I liked most of Navarro's character, the slack-jawed, loose lipped close ups got tiring. We know that she's going batshit every time the hair goes down. Just so obvious the cues.

I felt terribly let down by the series and I want to know why the tongue goo was an issue.

by Anonymousreply 498February 19, 2024 1:15 PM

Was that a dragon like skeleton in the spiral on the ceiling underground or was it a spiral made up of a bunch of different bones? For a second I thought that creature was the She they awakened and we were going to see a dragon monster. But, we didn’t. Darn.

by Anonymousreply 499February 19, 2024 1:35 PM

Reading the widespread pleasure here at seeing Jodie Foster out and acting again, and knowing I feel the same, does anyone think she could be a surprise winner of the Supporting Actress Oscar for “Nyad”?

Divine Joy Randolph was fine in a generally overrated movie, but she certainly doesn’t deserve the awards she has won for what is a competently done but not a knockout performance (a BAFTA too? Really?)

by Anonymousreply 500February 19, 2024 1:53 PM

They were whale bones r499.

by Anonymousreply 501February 19, 2024 2:11 PM

I enjoyed the season but now have to decide what to watch on Sunday nights. As it was said in The Truman Show "What else is on?"

by Anonymousreply 502February 19, 2024 2:20 PM

I went into the finale with low expectations, and it still didn't meet them. That was awful. The scientists killing Annie K. in a fit of rage over her destroying their work and keeping quiet about it for years was ludicrous. But a mob of cleaning ladies enact revenge on them once they figure it out was unintentionally hilarious. Did they really not leave any evidence they had been there?

And in the end, the references to season one meant nothing at all. Just like most of the season's dead-end plot points. You could have easily cut this season down to about a 90-minute film and nothing would have been lost.

The real mystery of the season was why it was so critically acclaimed.

But the ratings were stellar. So HBO will likely do a fifth season.

by Anonymousreply 503February 19, 2024 2:24 PM

What a steaming load of closeted lesbionic pseudo-spiritual horseshit.

Granted, the sight of Fiona Shaw gutting a dead caribou almost made up for the rest of that mess.

Almost.

by Anonymousreply 504February 19, 2024 2:30 PM

The show was fine. Not great, not terrible. I don’t feel like I wasted six hours watching this, but I won’t do a rewatch.

I did like seeing Jodie again. She is a great actress.

And it’s always good to see Fiona Shaw.

by Anonymousreply 505February 19, 2024 2:36 PM

This is the first season I’ve watched since season one. In both cases i watched because of the strong reviews. And I liked both seasons just fine (sorry, DL). So if I thought this season was good, would I also like seasons 2 and 3, which I skipped due to lackluster reviews?

by Anonymousreply 506February 19, 2024 2:48 PM

I like both this one and season 1.

Season 2 was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 507February 19, 2024 2:57 PM

I just realized that they seemed to skip over Jodie’s ex-husband in the flashbacks. Maybe they showed him once early on but not last night. Wouldn’t she mourn both? Agree it was full of plot holes and the ending was contrived.

by Anonymousreply 508February 19, 2024 3:18 PM

What was odd about the whole thing was the politics and the drama of the story didn’t really merge in a way that made sense.

by Anonymousreply 509February 19, 2024 3:26 PM

How would the cleaning ladies decide all the scientists were guilty? They had no evidence of that. And Danvers and Navarro were shitty cops to cover it up.

by Anonymousreply 510February 19, 2024 3:29 PM

True r510. All the cleaning leads found was evidence to suggest that Annie was killed in that underground lab. It could have been one rogue scientist and the others were completely innocent and unaware.

by Anonymousreply 511February 19, 2024 3:36 PM

Season 3, which I watched for the first time in preparation for season 4, was actually pretty good. The main problem with it was that in being stretched to eight episodes, the conclusion — though satisfying, — felt like an anti-climax because it was so dragged out.

by Anonymousreply 512February 19, 2024 3:37 PM

Y’all are a bunch of laundromat grandmas.

by Anonymousreply 513February 19, 2024 4:26 PM

This felt dragged out to me too. Maybe three episodes of entertaining and three of meandering? It bogged down in the message storytelling, which the director/writer is quite proud of. So there's calculated diversity for you. As dull on screen as in real life.

by Anonymousreply 514February 19, 2024 4:50 PM

Yawn, it's tiresome when conservatives rant against diversity

If you don't like diversity, just watch Candace Cameron movies on Great American Family

by Anonymousreply 515February 19, 2024 6:13 PM

This was really bad though I liked watching it for the scenery, characters, and Jodie.

by Anonymousreply 516February 19, 2024 6:16 PM

There was a lot of hackneyed writing and direction. Sheesh. Oh well I look forward to seeing that handsome (in a guy next door way) irish-english Finn Bennett. Maybe I'll watch Kiri from when he was young.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 517February 19, 2024 8:31 PM

R515, did you say something? As soon as I saw your post I fell asleep. I said calculated diversity. As in box ticking. Try to keep up in future, but give yourself time to catch up.

by Anonymousreply 518February 19, 2024 11:06 PM

What box ticking? You sound reactionary

by Anonymousreply 519February 19, 2024 11:19 PM

Can you build an argument R519 without resorting to name calling or are you just too stupid?

by Anonymousreply 520February 19, 2024 11:21 PM

Only stupid Trumpsters complain about diversity. So you sound silly calling other people dumb. .

I mean, where are you going with the box-ticking shit? It takes place in Alaska, is it so hard to believe Native or Inuit people would be living there?

by Anonymousreply 521February 19, 2024 11:33 PM

The closest real world equivalent to Ennis is Barrow/Utqiagvik Alaska which is 60% and only 16% white.

by Anonymousreply 522February 19, 2024 11:38 PM

60% native*

by Anonymousreply 523February 19, 2024 11:38 PM

For the record this season was awful and hard to follow. Very bad writing all around. I know Fiona Shaw and can't wait to see her and ask her thoughts. She's always very open about this stuff. I'll see her in April.

by Anonymousreply 524February 19, 2024 11:58 PM

I’m sure Fiona won’t shit on this. It got great reviews, good ratings, her part wasn’t awful and by all accounts, Jodie is a total pro. Not sure what she would complain about

by Anonymousreply 525February 20, 2024 12:10 AM

Trumpers complaining about diversity picks is hypocrisy since Republicans are paying minority candidates to run as Republicans. Like we’re supposed to believe all these minorities suddenly want to run as Republicans when Rs have shown themselves to be racists more than ever. And all these Republican minorities act and sound the same. Straight out of the well known Heritage Foundation media training. Billionaires are paying them to run.

by Anonymousreply 526February 20, 2024 1:00 AM

^🙄.

by Anonymousreply 527February 20, 2024 1:08 AM

Just watched it. Anticlimatic AF. 😩

by Anonymousreply 528February 20, 2024 1:26 AM

Ennis? Ennis Cosby? Ennis Del Mar?

by Anonymousreply 529February 20, 2024 3:17 AM

I also found it hard to believe that Annie K would have the very specific scientific knowledge required to understand what she was looking at in the lab and somehow ascertained that they were successful and also working to up the pollution in town to get their permafrost the way they wanted. She wasn’t a scientist. Also the cleaning hoarde barging in and taking the men were so careful? They obviously left handprints, what else was missed?

I hope Navarro didn’t mill herself and that Danvers and her daughter travel out there to visit her. J felt the show already glorified her sister’s suicide and to have the whole family do it, really isn’t sending a good message.

If Hank took the tongue, how did it get put back? The cleaning ladies said they didn’t do it. Was it this supernatural goddess? Why didn’t super goddess just shut down Tsalal then before bad things happened to the town?

by Anonymousreply 530February 20, 2024 4:21 AM

It makes no sense, don’t bother.

by Anonymousreply 531February 20, 2024 4:28 AM

Was Danver’s kid who died in the car accident the baby whose mother was killed by her partner and then in turn killed by Navarro?

by Anonymousreply 532February 20, 2024 4:51 AM

I liked the series but I found Danvers unlikeable. She was bitchy all the time—even when she didn’t need to be. The angry white Karen.

by Anonymousreply 533February 20, 2024 4:58 AM

Jodie Foster is a lesbian!?!?!?!?!?!? I never saw that one at all. She looks like a total dick magnet. Are you sure she isn’t just going through a phase?

by Anonymousreply 534February 20, 2024 5:12 AM

[quote]Was Danver’s kid who died in the car accident the baby whose mother was killed by her partner and then in turn killed by Navarro?

No. Connelly refers to the accident killing her husband and son occurring before she was posted to Ennis. I have no idea what they did with the baby.

by Anonymousreply 535February 20, 2024 6:22 AM

I just didn't understand the underground laboratory carved into the ice caves. How did that work? How do you have complicated computer equipment working in caves when the walls and ceiling are covered in ice? Didn't it drip onto the equipment? Or if they always kept it below zero, how did the sensitive equipment work under those conditions?

It also looked so cheesy. It reminded me of Box's cave in "Logan's Run."

by Anonymousreply 536February 20, 2024 6:34 AM

I’m unfollowing this thread, because I realize that I just don’t care

by Anonymousreply 537February 20, 2024 6:44 AM

[quote]Also the cleaning hoarde barging in and taking the men were so careful? They obviously left handprints, what else was missed?

More importantly, what else was left when they cleaned? Handprints all over everything, tongues on the floor--who the hell was paying them?

by Anonymousreply 538February 20, 2024 11:10 AM

The moral to the whole damn series is: Women should stick together and murder men as long as they feel it's justified, then get away with it having completely clear consciousness.

by Anonymousreply 539February 20, 2024 12:19 PM

[quote]I also found it hard to believe that Annie K would have the very specific scientific knowledge required to understand what she was looking at in the lab and somehow ascertained that they were successful and also working to up the pollution in town to get their permafrost the way they wanted. She wasn’t a scientist.

Exactly. That dumb hick could understand complicated scientific language and numbers and figure everything out in two minutes? Fucking whatever.

by Anonymousreply 540February 20, 2024 12:22 PM

i cant hate the actors they were ok but the director and writer, yikes! so many murders and no crimknal justice

by Anonymousreply 541February 20, 2024 2:13 PM

Script was uneven, to say the least. Direction (shot set ups, cinematography) kept a certain mood. Acting was very good. Foster's outburst at the mention of her son's death was one of her greatest moments in a long career: good for her for being old and just going for it. The setting, visuals, and acting made it worth watching.

But (although we've been cautioned not to try to figure it out) the ending really confused me. Navarro is not out on the ice? Foster knows because of why??? Navarro is out on a desert? (Never was clear why when She called Navorro out to ghost world the ice would turn to desert.) Foster and the kid are driving through non-snow smiling because....?? The last scene: the two women on the deck, how can one not think that they "wound up together" is some significant if not sexual way?

by Anonymousreply 542February 20, 2024 3:00 PM

Foster and her daughter were smiling to show the audience that they've mended their relationship a bit.

The desert was supposed to be Navarro when she was in the military and deployed to the middle east. Just memories that She was accessing. One of the ghosts she saw was the woman who got half her face blown off.

Navarro and Danvers probably weren't both on the deck together at the end. Navarro could've been on her own deck, or on danvers' deck but at a different point in time, or maybe they were together. There wasn't supposed to be one answer- it's whatever you want it to be.

by Anonymousreply 543February 20, 2024 3:07 PM

Why did the scientist who was Annie's bf have that spazzy outburst at the very start and then ominously state "She's awake!" ?

It wasn't the ancestral ice goddess coming for vengeance, it was the cleaning ladies.

The same thing with Annie's video on the recovered cell phone - Jodie Foster watched that video of her multiple times and was talking about some flash or something that was the same on the video of the scientists right before it cut out. But Annie was killed by the scientists, not some mysterious entity.

The whole supernatural angle was like the smoke monster from Lost. It turns out it was all bullshit, a bunch of misdirection.

by Anonymousreply 544February 20, 2024 3:24 PM

Not complete misdirection r544. The tongue ended up in the lab because of supernatural reasons, they did purposely keep magic shit in play, not everything has a real world explanation.

by Anonymousreply 545February 20, 2024 4:30 PM

R541 Is “ crimknal justice” something Jodie Foster tried to say when her mouth wasn’t full of anonymous cock?

by Anonymousreply 546February 20, 2024 4:40 PM

It was very unclear who Jodie’s husband was or any details about their child.

by Anonymousreply 547February 20, 2024 4:42 PM

What about the polar bear

by Anonymousreply 548February 20, 2024 5:07 PM

R548 and why did it only have one eye?

by Anonymousreply 549February 20, 2024 5:09 PM

I didn’t watch the series but I saw a photo of Jodie Foster from this show and am shocked at how old she looks. I mean, she’s playing a cop, right? Cops are usually long retired before they look like Jodie. Couldn’t she have used some of those wrinkle tape thingies from the old Hollywood days to make herself look 10 years younger? I could believe a cop who looked 50, but not a cop who looks over 60. Jodie even looks older than she is, which is fine if you’re playing family matriarch roles. But a cop?

by Anonymousreply 550February 20, 2024 5:10 PM

They never explained the polar bear or the oranges. But I think that was intentional. They wanted to leave questions unanswered.

by Anonymousreply 551February 20, 2024 5:13 PM

She was Chief, right? Senior role. She looked old but I thought she looked good. Your ass or your face.

by Anonymousreply 552February 20, 2024 5:13 PM

I was surprised by the turn the show took and enjoyed the ending. Also, anyone *still* complaining or ranting about forced diversity casting or "woke" storylines is living in the past. Maybe catch up, or get over yourselves and move on, or (and I know this is a revolutionary idea) watch something else. Stories can be told from different perspectives. If you don't like a particular angle, so what? Move onto something else, for fuck's sake, and stop boring the rest of us with your stale outrage.

by Anonymousreply 553February 20, 2024 5:35 PM

Thank you for encouraging diversity of opinion about diversity, R553. I have some thoughts, but I gather your idea of debate is toeing the line. Enjoy your bubble. And your block, I can't imagine what you have to say of any interest to me.

by Anonymousreply 554February 20, 2024 5:40 PM

R550 When all you have is your work you keep working. Also, while her face did look like a 60 year old, it was a beautiful, vibrant 60. If you saw her in movement you might not question "how can she keep working"... fit, lean, strong. She's a stud. Almost makes me want to be a lesbian.

R554 We need to get beyond the "I have a right to my opinions" "The World if Flat!! I have a right to believe this and it's just as true for me as your ideas about the globe and gravity are for you.!!" This is not the way to a better truth.

by Anonymousreply 555February 20, 2024 5:44 PM

"The world is flat" is not the same thing as "I am tired of wokeness," r555.

by Anonymousreply 556February 20, 2024 5:47 PM

R556 Ha, check the Venn diagrams of who says each and who says both.

by Anonymousreply 557February 20, 2024 6:03 PM

was there a mystery about the polar bear? I thought it was just a local bear lumbering around and encountering people at spooky times.

by Anonymousreply 558February 20, 2024 6:07 PM

The cleaning lady said they set the scientist off running in the nude and were letting the spirit world decide if it wanted to kill them or let them come to their senses and go back and fetch their clothes, maybe survive.

There are three ways to see that punishment

1) the cleaning ladies are clearly responsible.

2) the cleaning ladies created a very dangerous situation and:

a) the guys did in fact die because of an avalanche and going berserk from hypothermia.

or

b) the spirit word did in fact decide to kill them, via controlling nature to do them in

by Anonymousreply 559February 20, 2024 6:11 PM

R539, the men were murderers.

by Anonymousreply 560February 20, 2024 6:28 PM

Holden had a stuffed polar bear with one eye r548 and r549.

Ghosts are real in this world. So the polar bear is ghost Holden reaching out, and Navarro's mother loved oranges so that is her ghost reaching out.

by Anonymousreply 561February 20, 2024 6:29 PM

R554 thinks diversity of opinion means that everyone should share his far right views

by Anonymousreply 562February 20, 2024 6:30 PM

R555, you missed the point entirely. The issue isn't diversity in storytelling, it is the effectiveness of diversity in storytelling. Sorry to break the news but as lovely as it is, it's not to say it always works or works well but it's here to stay so it now has to be part of the discussion of creativity, and we have to be able to discuss without dogma. Its deployment is up for discussion. Shutting it down on a virtue basis... well, you decide.

by Anonymousreply 563February 20, 2024 6:55 PM

R554 - "diversity of opinion" isn't the same thing as whining about being perpetually feeling victimized by supposedly "woke" storylines. Stop being such a baby.

by Anonymousreply 564February 20, 2024 7:18 PM

R554 - valid point about the effectiveness or lack thereof, but the decision regarding this effectiveness relies on an entirely personal impression. In your perspective, it was ineffective. For others, it was fine. The storyline in this series is not a weapon in some monolithic Us v. Them woke culture war. Get a grip.

by Anonymousreply 565February 20, 2024 7:30 PM

[quote][R539], the men were murderers.

How did they have proof that all of them were? They just guessed.

That's the problem with vigilantism. It depends on guessing.

by Anonymousreply 566February 20, 2024 7:32 PM

Six hours I’ll never get back. If they hadn’t slapped the “True Detective” label on this and roped in Jodie it would have got dire reviews.

by Anonymousreply 567February 20, 2024 7:37 PM

[quote] Six hours I’ll never get back.

If you felt that way about all of it, why did you keep coming back after the first week?

by Anonymousreply 568February 20, 2024 7:40 PM

Like everybody else, I only watched this for Jodie Foster. Her acting was top notch, as always. And I appreciate that she didn't turn herself into a plastic surgery victim and has just let herself age normally.

by Anonymousreply 569February 20, 2024 8:02 PM

R568 because smartass, I felt like many others on this thread that the first few episodes were quite good. That okay with you?

by Anonymousreply 570February 20, 2024 8:45 PM

^ Let's hope you don't feel that way about your dialysis.

by Anonymousreply 571February 20, 2024 8:55 PM

"Is it a happy ending? It depends on how you feel about the lake house scene, and about whether Danvers and Navarro will get to see their loved ones again in a world beyond this one. But if we step outside the story and look at this as a television show, then it’s a happy new beginning, which has been greeted with both critical acclaim and ratings that make it the most-watched season of the franchise. There will almost certainly be another story, whether López tells it, or Pizzolatto returns, or someone new ends up in charge. Whoever it is, and whenever it comes, a new standard has been set for how strongly a True Detective case can be closed."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 572February 20, 2024 10:00 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 573February 21, 2024 12:22 AM

[quote]Was Danver’s kid who died in the car accident the baby whose mother was killed by her partner and then in turn killed by Navarro?

Yeah sure, why not.

Think of it as "choose your own adventure".

by Anonymousreply 574February 21, 2024 1:10 AM

[quote]The cleaning lady said they set the scientist off running in the nude and were letting the spirit world decide if it wanted to kill them or let them come to their senses

It echoes the beginning of the show when the deer start running and jumping off the cliff, as if propelled to do so by some spirit force.

by Anonymousreply 575February 21, 2024 1:20 AM

[quote] Was Danver’s kid who died in the car accident the baby whose mother was killed by her partner and then in turn killed by Navarro?

I don’t think this is the case. But after Danvers and Navarro killed that wife-beater, as the scene (finally, after all those replays and lead-up!) ended, when the baby cried off-screen I wondered if that baby was indeed Leah.

by Anonymousreply 576February 21, 2024 2:44 AM

All we learned is that Danvers and Navarro are the shittiest cops ever. Killing suspects or covering up murders. Yeesh.

by Anonymousreply 577February 21, 2024 3:21 AM

The fact is that the first season of True Detective was so far superior to any of the sequels they shouldn't even have the same title.

by Anonymousreply 578February 21, 2024 3:32 AM

R576 I didn't realize that we never figured out who Leah's father was. Danvers is married to someone and has a kid. That kid does not look native. I assumed that Leah was Danver's husband's kid and Danvers became her stepmother when she married the husband, but that would require the husband to be indigenous.

Why was Twist and Shout a continuing theme throughout the series? Was that ever explained?

by Anonymousreply 579February 21, 2024 12:14 PM

Letting yourself age without a scalpel is one thing but her skin quality shows absolutely NO attention over the years. She has the skin of a 60 something female farmer, not of a rich lady who spent decades looking good for cameras and movie goers. The absence of plastic surgery is great, but she didn't do peels, didn't do retinols and moisturizers. Her skin is BUSTED for 61. Good thing she is attractive, intelligent, and classy.

by Anonymousreply 580February 21, 2024 12:45 PM

That's not true r580. Go out in the real world and you will find plenty of 60 somethings with truly busted skin.

You are just seeing someone without the surgery, botox and fillers and she isn't wearing a lot of makeup in this role

by Anonymousreply 581February 21, 2024 1:17 PM

She was also a smoker for years and of course that's terrible for your skin.

by Anonymousreply 582February 21, 2024 1:51 PM

The plot contrivances at the end were lazy and in some cases nonsensical. The mine’s pollution HELPS the scientists collect their samples which are buried in tens of thousands of years of ice? How does that work? The lab that conducts the pollution tests is the same lab doing unrelated medical research that the mining company finances and no one noticed? Both central murders were conducted by large groups of people who then go about their business without anyone talking? A police officer is last seen going to his boss’s house, kills a key witness at the behest of the mine boss then, is himself shot and killed there, and no one ever discovers any evidence of the crimes? Apparently those interviewers in the end are looking into what happened to him. Sonny must have done one heck of a job cleaning up with his bucket and sponge.

And what about the tongue? Did they explain it, or just admit it was a nonsensical creepy detail they through in for kicks?

by Anonymousreply 583February 21, 2024 2:20 PM

[quote] [R78], this was not a True Detective series. It was its own show. HBO threw it under the True Detective banner later to save that floundering franchise.

Thanks. It didn’t really seem to fit without shifting time frames and investigators probing unreliable memories

by Anonymousreply 584February 21, 2024 3:01 PM

Is Jodie's older sister still alive? She did all of the nude scenes for Jodie in The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane.

by Anonymousreply 585February 21, 2024 3:08 PM

Why did they bother to hide the entrance to the ice cave from the lab? Why would it have a vault-like seal instead of just a regular hatch?

by Anonymousreply 586February 21, 2024 3:34 PM

I was hoping they would run into the polar bear again, either in the ice cave or in the research facility when it was blacked out, the night of the blizzard.

by Anonymousreply 587February 21, 2024 7:16 PM

‘True Detective: Night Country’ Star Kali Reis Responds To Creator Nic Pizzolatto After Season 4 Finale Criticism

Pizzolatto has reshared posts from some viewers criticizing the fourth season of True Detective. In a screenshot posted on social media, Pizzolatto shared an opinion from a fan slamming the finale, calling it “some of the sloppiest writing” and praising the show’s first season.

Another opinion that Pizzolatto shared had them calling Season 4 “a hot mess” and called out López for “missing the mark HUGELY” on several plot points.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 588February 21, 2024 8:58 PM

Team Pizzolatto

by Anonymousreply 589February 21, 2024 9:04 PM

There's a continuity problem in the photo at R588. It has "WC" on the door. I haven't ever seen that in the US.

by Anonymousreply 590February 21, 2024 9:08 PM

That is so immature and childish r588. Is he on a meth bender?

He must be throwing a tantrum that this season ended up getting better viewership than his three seasons.

by Anonymousreply 591February 21, 2024 9:46 PM

I would have bet money that Cali Reis was a lesbian, but she's actually marred to a man. She's probably bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 592February 21, 2024 11:58 PM

Well, at least we got to see glimpses of the cutie cop in his underwear.

by Anonymousreply 593February 22, 2024 12:11 AM

R590 Series was filmed in Iceland. Just one of a myriad of continuity/logic/plot hole fuck ups.

by Anonymousreply 594February 22, 2024 1:55 AM

[quote]Series was filmed in Iceland.

To be fair, Alaska film commission probably took one look at those scripts and told them to go film on another continent.

by Anonymousreply 595February 22, 2024 2:35 AM

I hate the "it is what you make of it" angle. No bitch. It's your job to tell a story. There can be some ambiguity, but you can't just realize at the eleventh hour that something doesn't work, claim ambiguity, and gaslight viewers who dare challenge you on it.

by Anonymousreply 596February 22, 2024 3:12 AM

Most ridiculous and thin-skinned slap back from a director since Billy Eichner for Bros.

by Anonymousreply 597February 22, 2024 7:00 AM

R600 can’t come soon enough. Most of the criticism here is about as well written and complex as the final episode. Can we just let this one die now please?

by Anonymousreply 598February 22, 2024 5:18 PM

r580, one thing you have to remember is that Foster wants to continue as a working character actress, and 99% of the population does not get work done on their face. Unless she wants to play one of Truman Capote's swans, she's better off having no work done.

by Anonymousreply 599February 22, 2024 5:22 PM

Nick of time

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600February 22, 2024 5:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!