Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tonight’s Dinner

Tomorrow is a holiday. Are you making something nice for dinner tonight to celebrate?

I am making Ethiopian food—a favorite cuisine.

On tonight’s menu:

Doro Wat

Miser Wat

Atakilt Wat

Injerra

And yes, I make my own niter kibbeh, berbere, and injerra.

by Anonymousreply 65May 19, 2024 1:09 PM

Hi, Greg.

Do you eat Ethiopian food with your hands? I know that’s how it’s done, but I can’t imagine you eating without utensils.

by Anonymousreply 1January 14, 2024 8:44 PM

Hello, R1.

Yes, sometimes. But not always.

One uses the injera to scoop up the food.

by Anonymousreply 2January 14, 2024 8:49 PM

Please excuse my misspelling of ‘injera.’

by Anonymousreply 3January 14, 2024 8:50 PM

I'm on my way.

by Anonymousreply 4January 14, 2024 8:53 PM

Honestly, it’s not your spelling error that is the most objectionable part of your post.

by Anonymousreply 5January 14, 2024 8:53 PM

[quote] Honestly, it’s not your spelling error that is the most objectionable part of your post.

Well don’t keep us in suspense, R5.

by Anonymousreply 6January 14, 2024 8:55 PM

It isn’t an Ethiopian holiday. It would be more appropriate to make soul food.

by Anonymousreply 7January 14, 2024 9:04 PM

Ah. It figures some of you would go there.

My menu choice for tonight has nothing to do with tomorrow’s holiday.

I happen to really like Ethiopian cuisine and it takes some dedicated time in the kitchen to make it.

I was going to make bœuf bourguignon, but decided to devote much of my afternoon to preparing Ethiopian.

by Anonymousreply 8January 14, 2024 9:10 PM

Fuck off and DIE, creep.

by Anonymousreply 9January 14, 2024 9:15 PM

What in the world?

by Anonymousreply 10January 14, 2024 9:15 PM

[quote] Fuck off and DIE, creep.

Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

by Anonymousreply 11January 14, 2024 9:17 PM

I'm making baked potato soup and a lettuce salad. It's what Doctor King would have wanted.

by Anonymousreply 12January 14, 2024 9:21 PM

Do they know it's MLK Day time at all?

by Anonymousreply 13January 14, 2024 9:27 PM

Another meatloaf. It's fine, but maybe too much Worchestershire. Eaten with yellow rice. I had to throw out a bowl of collards when I realized they had been in my fridge since New Year's Day!!! UGH.

by Anonymousreply 14January 14, 2024 9:54 PM

I lived in Washington DC for years and had Ethiopian food too many items. Having disliked it at the outset, through the years i was dragged to way more than enough restaurants and dinners to reassure myself. No, it wasn't that i caught the restaurant on a bad night.

I like texture and Ethiopian food is baby food, to say the most charitable thing about it. Mush. Slop bucket stuff. Served with that annoying spongy pancake bread that sucks up the sauce and the liquidy bits. Goat, vegetarian, it doesn't fucking matter. It's all like eating dog vomit.

After a certain number of years, I would just blurt out:Oh, no, you go ahead and carry on without me. I've had Ethiopian food against my will too many times and never again. But you enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 15January 14, 2024 10:22 PM

^ well boo to you.

by Anonymousreply 16January 14, 2024 10:25 PM

I happen to like Ethiopian food. It's great. Love zilzil tibs with injera. Get rid of that pepper though - it burns going in and out. And they make collard greens!! The only thing I don't like is the raw minced beef, I forget what they call it - something similar to tatare or that French Beef Americaine.

by Anonymousreply 17January 14, 2024 10:28 PM

Eat caca and drop dead, Drek.

by Anonymousreply 18January 14, 2024 10:33 PM

Great way to honor MLK's life work and his Ethiopian heritage.

by Anonymousreply 19January 14, 2024 10:33 PM

[quote]I can’t imagine you eating without utensils.

That's right! Now go ahead and have that fried chicken. Or hamburger or a hot dog. Or popcorn. Or apple. Or that plate of nachos.

by Anonymousreply 20January 14, 2024 10:35 PM

^Food that is creamy and wet is a little different than eating fried chicken or a hamburger.

Understand?

by Anonymousreply 21January 14, 2024 10:54 PM

[quote] Great way to honor MLK's life work and his Ethiopian heritage.

I said nothing about honoring anyone.

It’s just that since tomorrow is a holiday, I felt free to spend more time in the kitchen today than I might otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 22January 14, 2024 10:55 PM

Voilà!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 14, 2024 11:29 PM

As it happens, I’m out of Ethiopian tonite as well. In NC.

by Anonymousreply 24January 14, 2024 11:34 PM

Wish I were eating that tonight.

by Anonymousreply 25January 14, 2024 11:34 PM

[quote] I’m out of Ethiopian tonite as well. In NC.

You’re out of Ethiopian?

by Anonymousreply 26January 15, 2024 2:59 AM

We must purchase from the same grocery store or chain, OP.

Yes, me, I'm having Twat.

by Anonymousreply 27January 15, 2024 3:22 AM

I love Doro Wat. It’s one of the tastiest dishes ever. I even made it for a dinner with Ethiopian friends. They told me it was really good but couldn’t believe I made it.

by Anonymousreply 28January 15, 2024 3:26 AM

Like white people have such elegant cuisine. Bunch of pasta with mayonnaise and they call it dinner.

by Anonymousreply 29January 15, 2024 3:29 AM

I agree, Egalandy.

Do you recall what recipe you used?

by Anonymousreply 30January 15, 2024 1:34 PM

If you like my Ethiopian MLK feast, you're going to love my chimichanga taco salad. I serve it in honor of Cinco de Mayo, the holiest day on the Mexican calendar. All of my Mexican friends rave it's the best-- and most authentic-- Mexican fare in Boston.

by Anonymousreply 31January 15, 2024 1:38 PM

Wat?

by Anonymousreply 32January 15, 2024 2:12 PM

::barf::

by Anonymousreply 33January 15, 2024 2:23 PM

[quote] If you like my Ethiopian MLK feast, you're going to love my chimichanga taco salad. I serve it in honor of Cinco de Mayo, the holiest day on the Mexican calendar. All of my Mexican friends rave it's the best-- and most authentic-- Mexican fare in Boston.

I sometimes prepare classic Mexican food, but never chimichanga taco salad.

Grow up.

by Anonymousreply 34January 15, 2024 3:55 PM

[quote] And yes, I make my own niter kibbeh, berbere, and injerra.

I always have to run next door and borrow some from the neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 35January 15, 2024 4:16 PM

You are very fortunate, R35.

It takes hours to make those Ethiopian staples.

by Anonymousreply 36January 15, 2024 4:21 PM

The Ethiopians must have a lot of time on their hands to make staples.

by Anonymousreply 37January 15, 2024 4:26 PM

[quote] The Ethiopians must have a lot of time on their hands to make staples.

The process involved in preparing niter kibbeh, which is used in a good many Ethiopian recipes, does suggest that Ethiopians spend a lot of time in the kitchen.

Time well spent.

by Anonymousreply 38January 15, 2024 4:32 PM

I’m happy that you have started to refer to Doro Wat by it’s Amharic name.

[quote] Do you eat Ethiopian food with your hands?

Not only do you eat with your hands, you can also stuff food into someone else’s mouth. It’s a thing.

[quote] Wat?

Stew.

[quote] The only thing I don't like is the raw minced beef, I forget what they call it - something similar to tatare or that French Beef Americaine.

Kitfo

by Anonymousreply 39January 15, 2024 6:23 PM

[quote] I’m happy that you have started to refer to Doro Wat by it’s Amharic name.

“Started”?

Did I ever call it anything else?

by Anonymousreply 40January 15, 2024 8:49 PM

And for afters, a Sandra Lee kwanzaa cake. A perfect meal for remembering the honor of the late Dr. Reverend!

by Anonymousreply 41January 15, 2024 9:16 PM

Ethiopian food was my dinner last night, not tonight.

by Anonymousreply 42January 15, 2024 9:25 PM

[quote] A perfect meal for remembering the honor of the late Dr. Reverend!

Oh, dear.

It’s the late Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

by Anonymousreply 43January 15, 2024 9:29 PM

I'm making this chicken parm recipe according to someone who shared it. Making with a side of rice and steamed broccoli. Has nothing to do with the holiday. Just liking the look of this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44January 15, 2024 9:40 PM

R1 Greg02116: Makes me think of that restaurant scene in Barefoot in the park.. Maybe this is dumb, maybe it's my glass of red wine but it brightened my mood. Bon appetit :)

by Anonymousreply 45January 15, 2024 9:58 PM

Greg, your dinner looks fantastic. That said, I grew up mostly in DC, ate Ethiopian food frequently at one time but will never choose to eat it again. It's quite rich.

by Anonymousreply 46January 15, 2024 11:25 PM

Thanks for such a nice message, R45!

by Anonymousreply 47January 15, 2024 11:33 PM

A friend said injerra was like eating a wet soggy pancake, I can make that myself.

by Anonymousreply 48January 15, 2024 11:34 PM

Yes, R46, it is quite rich.

I’ve never had it in a restaurant—I’ve only had my own.

by Anonymousreply 49January 15, 2024 11:38 PM

[quote]Did I ever call it anything else?

I think you were just saying an English version of the name.

by Anonymousreply 50January 16, 2024 2:16 AM

Greg, why did you abandon your former authenticated handle, BostonPete?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51January 16, 2024 2:40 AM

Also, Kansas City whatever.

by Anonymousreply 52January 16, 2024 2:43 AM

[quote] Also, Kansas City whatever.

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 53January 16, 2024 4:44 PM

Greg is not AIKC.

by Anonymousreply 54January 17, 2024 4:27 AM

Sounds like it all pretty much goes in the same consistency in which it will come out?

by Anonymousreply 55January 17, 2024 5:30 AM

[quote] Greg is not AIKC.

The very idea.

by Anonymousreply 56January 17, 2024 12:18 PM

[quote] Sounds like it all pretty much goes in the same consistency in which it will come out?—Assuming it’s prunes for dessert as usual

That’s right, R55.

Have you always been so unsophisticated?

by Anonymousreply 57January 17, 2024 12:19 PM

I don’t think of Ethiopian food as being rich. There are a lot of lentils, yellow split peas, collard greens and the like, at least in what I order. It’s one of those cuisines I wouldn’t attempt at home myself, like sushi I’ll leave it up to the experts. We have a very good one here that does delivery. Just had it on Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 58January 17, 2024 12:36 PM

[quote] It’s one of those cuisines I wouldn’t attempt at home myself, like sushi I’ll leave it up to the experts.

It’s not difficult to prepare, but it is very time consuming. And it requires many whole spices and other ingredients that one may not have in the pantry..

by Anonymousreply 59January 17, 2024 1:16 PM

R41 Nobody doesn't like Sandra Lee.

by Anonymousreply 60January 17, 2024 8:17 PM

There’s only one recipe for Doro Wat, r30, or rather, I’m only familiar with one. I like that it’s not terribly difficult. My husband went to a conference in Addis years ago and found that locals eat goat raw. He’d gone to a bar with local colleagues and saw a restaurant worker walk in with a dead goat. Tradition has it that Ethiopians ate their meat raw during their wars because a cooking fire would attract the enemy. They continued the tradition.

by Anonymousreply 61January 17, 2024 11:39 PM

Don’t you have to steam injera as part of the cooking process? I don’t know anyone who makes it so I’m impressed!

by Anonymousreply 62January 17, 2024 11:44 PM

Comfort food for dinner tonight: mushroom stroganoff I made it with morels, chanterelles, oyster and portobello mushrooms. Not to mention an entire bottle of wine.

by Anonymousreply 63January 17, 2024 11:58 PM

Got a free butterball turkey from work at Christmas. Already bought one before getting it so froze that one. Put it in the fridge to thaw this week. So tonight a turkey dinner, stuffing, cranberry sauce and mashed potatoes.

Because where I am the weather is in the 30s early am but soon to go springish. Then warm fairly soon after. I would not be able to make this till next winter, otherwise.

I just got done stuffing it, tying it and putting in oven. I use a covered roaster so it cooks fairly quickly, for a turkey, 3 hours. 18 pound bird. It’s not even 11 yet. An early dinner.

by Anonymousreply 64February 11, 2024 4:55 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 65May 19, 2024 1:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!