Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dan Levy's new movie "Good Grief" is mercilessly mocked

"Rich people like Marc Dreyfus (Levy), a newly widowed American expat who has nothing to do but swan around the half-empty — but fully exquisite — London flat that his Adonis-like husband (Luke Evans) left to him after being killed in a car crash on Christmas Eve. It can’t be easy to lose someone that hot at such a young age, and it’s perfectly understandable that Marc responds to the tragedy by trying to avoid everything that reminds him of his late husband (work being at the top of the list, as Marc had sacrificed his artistic ambitions to draw the illustrations for Oliver’s wildly popular series of YA novels), but a year of low-intensity yoga classes and insufferable modern art shows only manages to cocoon him deeper inside his grief."

And it goes on from there...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69May 27, 2024 10:12 PM

I haven't seen it, but lots of good reviews.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 12, 2024 6:54 PM

R1, reading through those quotes from the other reviews, they are decidedly mixed.

by Anonymousreply 2January 12, 2024 6:58 PM

I don't doubt this thing is overripe and self-absorbed, but that review is a slog. I don't like critics who recount the entire plot in laborious detail like this one does.

by Anonymousreply 3January 12, 2024 7:10 PM

The review was very entertaining, I thought, and mentioned plot points that were laughable in order to illustrate how ludicrous they are.

by Anonymousreply 4January 12, 2024 7:12 PM

The positive reviews (including nytimes) were written by women. Female friends have raved about this movie. None of my gay friends have watched it.

by Anonymousreply 5January 12, 2024 7:14 PM

Rich artist problems.

by Anonymousreply 6January 12, 2024 7:18 PM

I've had sufficient of Miss Levy and her smirking face.

by Anonymousreply 7January 12, 2024 7:29 PM

Dan Levy is no oil painting, but at least he is reasonably facially attractive, which Billy Eichner never was. I could tolerate 90 minutes of watching Dan Levy's face; I could nto say the same about Eichner's.

I still do not understand why Levy always hides his body in oversized coats and sweaters. If he wants to be a movie star he has to lose weight and work out; otherwise, he needs to remain a character actor, but own up to his body size.

by Anonymousreply 8January 12, 2024 7:34 PM

It's not just about looks, R8: it's Levy's pretentiousness, his shallowness, his self-congratulatory attitude, his sentimentality. Practically ANYONE is better than the execrable Eichner.

by Anonymousreply 9January 12, 2024 7:38 PM

His body was fine here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 12, 2024 7:39 PM

After perusing those pics, maybe she should keep wearing those sweaters.

by Anonymousreply 11January 12, 2024 7:43 PM

Dan is a one-note pony. Blah.

by Anonymousreply 12January 12, 2024 7:44 PM

His body is fine, but i would bet he has issues about it since he covers up so much.

by Anonymousreply 13January 12, 2024 7:47 PM

R13, he most definitely has a pot belly and needs a training bra for the moobs.

by Anonymousreply 14January 12, 2024 7:51 PM

I like them hairy and husky - what can I say? He should embrace it instead of covering himself in a million layers.

by Anonymousreply 15January 12, 2024 7:54 PM

Levy's father Eugene has a much better bod. He looks great in his tight suits.

by Anonymousreply 16January 12, 2024 7:56 PM

R12, much as I loathe the phrase, if ever there was a one note nepo baby.

Dan Levy would still be sulking about why nobody likes him as an unknown, except his dad.

by Anonymousreply 17January 12, 2024 8:13 PM

R17, I don't loathe the phrase, because it applies. I loathe nepo babies. Very few, except for some (e.g., Jane Fonda) are deserving of their success.

by Anonymousreply 18January 12, 2024 8:22 PM

It is true that there are a few nepo babies who were or are quite good and who should have made it on their own even without the famous connections: the Fondas (Jane, Peter, and even Bridget), Laura Dern, Jeff Bridges...

But for every single Laura Dern there have been dozens and dozens of Mamie Gummers and Jaden Smiths and Dakota Johnsons and Chet Hazes.

by Anonymousreply 19January 12, 2024 8:41 PM

Agreed, R19--especially with your choices on both sides of deserving/undeserving.

by Anonymousreply 20January 12, 2024 8:42 PM

He seems to very much want a partner, I’m surprised he hasn’t found one.

Even the ginger from Modern Family is married.

by Anonymousreply 21January 12, 2024 8:57 PM

R21 Isn't JTF married to a gorgeous boy half his age? Did he buy him in Stepford?

by Anonymousreply 22January 12, 2024 9:01 PM

Yes r22 married to a much hotter younger guy.

And Levy is much better looking than JTF.

by Anonymousreply 23January 12, 2024 9:04 PM

Miss OP is apparently obsessed with Dan and posted TEN (so far) of the replies, all correcting anyone who has the nerve to say Levy isn’t the worst and most awful thing EVER.

by Anonymousreply 24January 12, 2024 9:17 PM

The review is hysterical and not wrong at all.

Still, I enjoyed the movie. It isn't great art or anything. But had a soothing effect. Maybe because it's a world I'll never understand (idle rich) first hand and being exposed to it secondhand was kinda fun in a fantasy sort of way.

And I very much know what it feels like to lose someone I love - and who turned out to be not exactly who I thought he was.

by Anonymousreply 25January 12, 2024 9:20 PM

Dan Levy Stole Your Tagline, Charlie Brown

by Anonymousreply 26January 12, 2024 9:33 PM

Oh, Miss R24, get off your high-horse and pour yourself a drink.

by Anonymousreply 27January 12, 2024 10:14 PM

Here he is with Kelly Clarkson

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 12, 2024 10:57 PM

He is unattractive and bland. No one would have ever seen/heard of him without his father. Hard yawn.

by Anonymousreply 29January 12, 2024 11:08 PM

Ooof.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 19, 2024 6:03 PM

I liked the movie as well. Nothing ground breaking, but a good picture for a cold winter night.

by Anonymousreply 31January 19, 2024 6:16 PM

The bad reviews - some of which seem to be a review of Dan rather than his movie - aren't helping the movie with Netflix. I have very mixed feelings about the movie - like it, didn't like it, liked it again and so on - but it's not the first movie I've ever seen about the idle rich, and it won't be the last.

It's also not the worst movie I've ever seen. I wanted it to be better. And most of the reviews seem more vindictive than an honest evaluation. Just because most of us don't live that life, doesn't mean no one else does.

There's a lot more bitterness in the negative reviews than any review should have. I'm wondering about the percentage of negative reviews written by gay men vs those written by straight men.

Seems to be a lot of people out there that want him to fail.

by Anonymousreply 32January 19, 2024 6:45 PM

r32, you'll have to give us examples of this alleged bitterness if you want to convince us.

by Anonymousreply 33January 19, 2024 6:47 PM

Well, R33, I may be way off, but reading the threads on DL about the movie would be a good start.

It's just an observation. I'm not trying to convince anyone.

by Anonymousreply 34January 19, 2024 6:59 PM

R32 I agree. One review by a queen for daily beast was very nasty. I agreed with a lot of what he said but it read like a DLer more than a film critic.

by Anonymousreply 35January 19, 2024 11:05 PM

I love r24 and thank them for their service to DL.

by Anonymousreply 36January 19, 2024 11:12 PM

Looks good but wish he would smile

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37February 3, 2024 12:08 PM

I like his new twist on fashion gayness. No glitter, no feathers, no shocking colors, no oversized labels and no women's clothes. More of a bold sometimes graphic type of style on an otherwise traditional or minimal backdrop, kind of masculine, kind of sexy.

by Anonymousreply 38February 3, 2024 12:27 PM

I'm no fan of Dan Levy but I'm tired of the "this show is bad because it's about rich people" criticism.

by Anonymousreply 39February 3, 2024 12:31 PM

I watched it about a week ago. I liked it, better than I though, ending was just OK. The only con was the whole idealized perfect gay couple with hundreds of friends, good looks and lost of fame and money. Most of us can't actually relate to that which makes it hard to feel for the charters at the start when they play that out.

by Anonymousreply 40February 3, 2024 12:38 PM

[quote] The bad reviews - some of which seem to be a review of Dan rather than his movie

Isn't that routine now?

by Anonymousreply 41February 3, 2024 12:42 PM

Watching it is. Dan is never not David.

by Anonymousreply 42February 4, 2024 11:45 PM

Well, the Dan-Luke couple wasn't really idealized, other than their lifestyle. Luke's character turned out to be a self-absorbed jerk (that Xmas card message was beyond tone deaf). And I wanted to throw a book at Ruth Negga's character.

The only character who seemed like an adult was played by Celia Imrie. Katelyn Dever had a funny cameo as an actress at the funeral. I didn't recognize her.

by Anonymousreply 43February 5, 2024 12:04 AM

It's so funny that this critic did the very thing he accuses Dan Levy of: gets lost in his own incredibly self-involved dissection of the film. While certainly not perfect film, I found it very enjoyable.

by Anonymousreply 44February 5, 2024 12:19 AM

He’s a flop

by Anonymousreply 45February 5, 2024 12:20 AM

Bad movie

by Anonymousreply 46February 5, 2024 12:45 AM

Dan reminds me of the Jewish version of Bowen from SNL.

by Anonymousreply 47February 5, 2024 12:47 AM

I like the sexy photo shoots…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48February 5, 2024 2:03 AM

Dan has a sex appeal that different from the standard DL queens go for. He's not going for the ultra twink hairless gender bending queen with black nails and high heels.

by Anonymousreply 49February 5, 2024 2:48 AM

I found the movie mildly enjoyable to watch, but I just couldn't bring myself to suspend disbelief at any point. Why would hot, rich, charming Luke Evans have ever been with whiny narcissist Levy? How could the Paris apartment have sat empty for a year, but Levy et al wander in to the place with not a speck of dust? How does Evans's boyfriend happen to just wander into the apartment a year after Evans's death? (While the boytoy could have been lying that he hadn't been staying there, he clearly hadn't been there enough to see that there was a present for him in the closet, and any fool is going to question whether he could keep coming there a year after the death of his hot daddy.) Why wouldn't Levy pursue Theo in the end of the movie (or at least resolve the story line)? And who, who, who puts those kaftans of coats and sweaters on Levy? Too many questions, not enough answers.

by Anonymousreply 50February 5, 2024 6:42 PM

Also, how the hell did Theo just talk his way into the Orangerie when it was clearly closed? I thought there would be some explanation for a connection to the museum, but nada.

by Anonymousreply 51February 5, 2024 6:44 PM

There were a lot of plot holes because the script was amateur hour.

But I like Levy and his husky hairy bear body, so I’ll sit thru his stuff. Even when it’s him just hissing at various people for 90 minutes that his husband died.

by Anonymousreply 52February 5, 2024 9:23 PM

[quote] And Levy is much better looking than JTF.

Ummm

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53February 6, 2024 1:41 AM

I was surprised at just how bad it was, how undercooked yet overcooked.

Everything was a speech, so on the nose it made me cringe, with the actions stopping for Dan to pontificate to his friends. (Ruth Negga’s character was obnoxious and I couldn’t follow her.)

So many plot points made no sense.

So many facts didn’t add up… such as Dan not discovering his husband’s Paris flat for a full year after his death (who was approving the bills?) and the place, which the hubby only used for trysts, was huge and seemingly had 3-4 bedrooms. Or the late 60s high-end financial advisor revealing when her wife died 12 years ago it was the catalyst for her going back to school and entering her current line of work… yet she had time to establish herself and build a hugely profitable advising business that could take a few decades?

So many of the lines made me gag. There was one about their “house of grief” or some such tortured metaphor that no human would utter.

Dan was the SJP of the thing, magically irresistible to all men.

Skip.

by Anonymousreply 54February 6, 2024 7:45 AM

More legs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55February 17, 2024 6:25 PM

He stole Billy Porter’s coat!

by Anonymousreply 56February 17, 2024 6:33 PM

He's got great legs and I like his (covered up) slightly beefy body.

All that do not like him, please pass hm to me; I'd like a run at Dan.

I think his ego and bravado are a cover up for vulnerability. I'll cuddle with him. If he gets hard, we'll go from there.

by Anonymousreply 57May 25, 2024 1:18 PM

I'll arm wrestle you for him, R57.

by Anonymousreply 58May 25, 2024 1:22 PM

He exhausts me.

by Anonymousreply 59May 25, 2024 1:52 PM

R57 he’s pretty honest about being vulnerable in recent podcasts. He talks about being insecure and sexually stunted when he came out and now wanting to find a boyfriend.

He would probably gladly cuddle with you.

Not sure about getting hard though. No one has ever reported any hookups with him here or on LPSG so who knows what he’s into.

by Anonymousreply 60May 25, 2024 2:01 PM

I used to cringe HARD every time he claimed to be bi in Schitt's Creek. GIRL, PLEASE. Let's come back down to reality, mkay?

by Anonymousreply 61May 26, 2024 9:38 AM

[quote]Rich people like Marc Dreyfus (Levy), a newly widowed American expat

Why didn't he make the character Canadian like himself?

by Anonymousreply 62May 26, 2024 9:52 AM

[quote] Why didn't he make the character Canadian like himself?

No producer would expect an audience to suspend disbelief sufficiently to think a Canadian could attract somebody hot

by Anonymousreply 63May 26, 2024 10:49 AM

Levy wrote/directed/produced the film.

by Anonymousreply 64May 26, 2024 10:58 AM

Would have enjoyed the movie more if he showed some skin instead of wearing 25 layers of clothing at all times. The man is always in a shirt, sweater and trench coat. I don’t even think we saw his forearms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65May 26, 2024 11:07 AM

If he actually showed four arms I might watch this turkey

by Anonymousreply 66May 26, 2024 11:12 AM

[quote]No producer would expect an audience to suspend disbelief sufficiently to think a Canadian could attract somebody hot

Can I see your picture?

by Anonymousreply 67May 26, 2024 12:54 PM

I don't know why he covers himself up. In the picture at R65 he's hot and beefy and sexy.

Climb on Dan. I can't fight you about your self image, but I want that body all over me.

by Anonymousreply 68May 26, 2024 1:41 PM

I don’t love this look. Not sure what they are going for.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69May 27, 2024 10:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!