Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Society of the Snow” is a bigger hit for Netflix than “Maestro” and “May December”

More people are watching this Uruguay film with unknown actors than those other two American films with movie stars. Ha.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 21, 2024 2:05 PM

Society of the Snow is also the better movie.

by Anonymousreply 1January 10, 2024 5:41 AM

I'll watch it tomorrow.. I remember when it happened and the world turned on them due to the cannibalism. I hope I'm never in such a situation where I'd have to decide. I don't think I could do it but the instinct to survive certainly must become paramount.

by Anonymousreply 2January 10, 2024 6:03 AM

Alive was the better version despite the whitewashing

by Anonymousreply 3January 10, 2024 9:26 AM

R3 Not according to the actual survivors who have said Society of the Snow is more accurate.

by Anonymousreply 4January 10, 2024 9:29 AM

You would an airplane would be full of food. Cannibals.

by Anonymousreply 5January 10, 2024 9:44 AM

The world wants to see desperate Uruguayan men eating each other's hairy arses.

Can you blame 'em?

by Anonymousreply 6January 10, 2024 9:46 AM

What average person would even want to watch a movie called 'May Stroh' any way.

by Anonymousreply 7January 10, 2024 9:46 AM

R4 according to them the 1993 film also got a lot right, despite the whitewashing. The things changed for that one was mostly the way they were found and the whitewashing, of course. They also changed a lot of the names of the people

by Anonymousreply 8January 10, 2024 12:06 PM

I watched this last night and cried like a baby. It's good.

by Anonymousreply 9January 10, 2024 12:25 PM

R8 The survivors said this movie got the emotional part right, unlike Alive. They also helped out with the facts etc.

by Anonymousreply 10January 10, 2024 1:25 PM

R9 I cried a lot too. I get sad every time I think about Numa. I watched it on the 4th, the day the movie came out. I really wanted to watch it again, I just couldn't bare it. It was too sad.

by Anonymousreply 11January 10, 2024 1:27 PM

Bear it*

by Anonymousreply 12January 10, 2024 1:28 PM

R11 UGH, I know. They pulled a fast one on us.

by Anonymousreply 13January 11, 2024 10:33 AM

The actor who played Numa did such an amazing job. He should be getting awards recognition but this is a foreign film and we rarely acknowledge their performances

by Anonymousreply 14January 12, 2024 6:00 PM

R10 I get that but Nando helped with the 1993 film also.

“ The real Nando Parrado (Ethan Hawke's character) was technical advisor to the film.”

Also,

“The opening and closing statements narrated by John Malkovich (playing an older Carlitos Paez) were written by the real Carlitos Paez for the film.“

by Anonymousreply 15January 12, 2024 6:09 PM

One thing about this story that everyone ignores is that the 16 “heroes” who survived were eventually made to be villains when news came out that they ate the dead passengers to survive. The public turned on them in real life when news broke of the cannibalism. People accused them of murdering some of the passengers to have food and others considered them eating humans, even if dead, murder.

Years later I think people try being more understanding of their situation but back then people really were shocked by it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 12, 2024 6:31 PM

The film has reignited the same discussion people had 50 years ago of whether the cannibalism was immoral or even legal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 12, 2024 6:33 PM

It’s amazing that 15 out of 16 of those men who survived are still alive. Only one died, in 2015.

by Anonymousreply 18January 12, 2024 7:11 PM

I didn’t know they filmed this movie on the exact spot the actual accident happened and during the same exact time frame they were stranded. They started filming in October (when the plane crashed) to make it 100% authentic. Some to the actors lived off of fruit and a can of tuna a day to actually lose drastic weight while living and lived in a camper near the site. Crazy. I feel I wouldn’t wanna visit that spot knowing all that happened there. It’s haunting.

by Anonymousreply 19January 12, 2024 7:14 PM

Another note is that all these men were from upscale families in Uruguay.

by Anonymousreply 20January 12, 2024 7:19 PM

R16, and society would do it again. If it happened again. People are terrible. These men were in a desperate situation. The film shows how they agonized over the decision.

by Anonymousreply 21January 12, 2024 7:42 PM

I'm glad younger generations are watching and learning the story...I honestly think its one of the greatest real life stories known to men, both in it's tragic grueling horror and it's poignant beautiful demonstration of selfless love and human will.

I love every single conversation they have in the film. Not a single dialogue was missing gravitas and weight. Javier Methol talking about how he realized what the meaning of all that had happened was to him also had me in tears....at the end when you see him with his kids...I was an absolute mess (also it wasnt just some sappy dialogue the writers came up with, that's something the real Javier said in several interviews, which just tugs even more at the heart strings)

by Anonymousreply 22January 12, 2024 11:54 PM

Yeah, when Nando (the actor is so HOT, btw) was drinking water from the creek and then... *SPOILER*... I gasped. And I'm NOT a gasper. I can't remember the last time I gasped.

by Anonymousreply 23January 13, 2024 10:39 AM

I find it funny that he was gasping at the little gecko on the rock and Roberto was gasping about the man on the horse.

by Anonymousreply 24January 13, 2024 12:43 PM

They were both gasping that they reached an area where creatures were living. They were outside of the seclusion and closer to civilization.

by Anonymousreply 25January 13, 2024 1:10 PM

I could not possibly have loved this movie more….obsessed with the story and learning more about the survivors. Particularly loved the character of Fito Strauch, feel I would have reacted similarly in this horrible situation. Nando, Roberto, Pancho and Antonio Vizintin were my other favorites.

by Anonymousreply 26January 13, 2024 10:44 PM

It was snubbed at the critics choice awards. Anatomy of a Fall won best foreign movie.

by Anonymousreply 27January 15, 2024 9:45 AM

"Anatomy of a Fall" seems destined to win all the Foreign Film Awards, Oscar included.

by Anonymousreply 28January 15, 2024 10:42 AM

R28 AoaF isnt qualified to get a oscar nom apparently

by Anonymousreply 29January 15, 2024 11:24 AM

R29 its not qualified because France didn't nominate it as the film to get an oscar nod, they nominated another one.

by Anonymousreply 30January 15, 2024 11:27 AM

They nominated "The Taste of Things" if I am not wrong. The one with Juliet Binoche (as usual).

by Anonymousreply 31January 15, 2024 1:46 PM

Did you know you can binge a movie? Just hit replay when it ends. I’ve been watching all week!

by Anonymousreply 32January 15, 2024 1:55 PM

AOAF was always expected to win

by Anonymousreply 33January 15, 2024 6:49 PM

BAFTA nominated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 18, 2024 4:08 PM

Audiences don't care for dramas anymore. I've said this before. Movies like May/December, Nyad, Maestro have a dwindling audience with any interest in such fare

by Anonymousreply 35January 18, 2024 4:39 PM

[quote]More people are watching this Uruguay film with unknown actors than those other two American films with movie stars. Ha.

Why “ha”? Do you have a problem with American movies being successful in America?

by Anonymousreply 36January 18, 2024 4:39 PM

R35 I wasn’t aware this was a comedy.

by Anonymousreply 37January 18, 2024 6:16 PM

I liked Alive for the most part but I swear if I hear someone else say SotS is a remake of Alive I will stab someone.

by Anonymousreply 38January 19, 2024 12:30 AM

I finally watched it. I remember it being in the news when the two men had hiked down to civilization and everyone was shocked that there were survivors. Then when they were rescued from the crash site that was also covered. It was a very big deal and was broadcast worldwide. The part that made me tear up in the movie was when the helicopters arrived to get them.

by Anonymousreply 39January 20, 2024 7:57 PM

When news finally broke out about the cannibalism weeks after being saved the world turned on them. The good thing about back then was it took long for news to break. The internet didn’t exist. They probably could have avoided that dark part of the story from ever coming out if the media didn’t let it be known eventually. Today, with the internet, everything would be all over within minutes.

by Anonymousreply 40January 20, 2024 8:00 PM

R40 not really true..the catholic church exhumed them from any wrong doing almost immediately as soon as the survivors returned to Uruguay...thats all that was needed. Also the survivors were super honest and open about what happened which helped. But contrary to what some say, save for a few snide remarks from tabloid-y press, there was no big backlash.

by Anonymousreply 41January 20, 2024 11:31 PM

R41 there was backlash. The church may have done what they did but that doesn’t erase that the general public found what they did wrong.

And many still do.

by Anonymousreply 42January 20, 2024 11:33 PM

"They probably could have avoided that dark part of the story from ever coming out if the media didn’t let it be known eventually. "

I'm glad they didn't. It opened up a great debate, for starters. I dont see it as something they should have hidden as they did nothing wrong. And as horrible as it must have been to make that choice, ultimately it's rather beautiful and life affirming to think the survivors have lived full and happy lives with children and grandchildren thanks to their dead friends.

R42 you're full of shit. I haven't heard one person either online or personally say what they did was wrong nor have I seen any proof if this huge backlash against them, and this is a well documented case.

by Anonymousreply 43January 20, 2024 11:39 PM

R18 also not true, sadly Coche Inciarte passed last year...he was a sweetheart and a hottie back in the day

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44January 20, 2024 11:51 PM

I’ve ordered Coche’s memoir which is supposed to be excellent….eagey awaiting its arrival!

Just finished Eduardo Strauch’s book, ‘Out of the Silence’ which I HIGHLY recommend!!! Beautiful little book…details about their story but primarily a deep dive into the psychological and spiritual elements both before and after their experience. Subtlety life changing book…

by Anonymousreply 45January 21, 2024 12:16 AM

I’m watching this now and just got to the plane crash part. Holy shit - when the seats flew foward and everyone got crushed and all those bones stared snapping. Horrific! That was well done.

Numa is adorable. I’m rooting for him!

by Anonymousreply 46January 23, 2024 12:32 AM

R46 it’s based on a true story. “Rooting for him!”???? Ummmm seriously? This isn’t a work of fucking fiction.

by Anonymousreply 47January 23, 2024 12:35 AM

I know it’s based off a true story. Yes, I hope he made it. Is that wrong?

by Anonymousreply 48January 23, 2024 1:03 AM

It was Oscar nominated. It makes me happy. It was a great movie.

by Anonymousreply 49January 23, 2024 5:31 PM

Um, R46, I don’t know how to tell you this….

by Anonymousreply 50January 23, 2024 5:35 PM

Gustavo told Enzo during an interview that he saw Numa in Enzo's eyes. He must miss him a lot. It made me cry again. Mary! me all you want. I don't care.

by Anonymousreply 51February 3, 2024 7:55 PM

It’s a good movie. I watched it twice.

by Anonymousreply 52February 3, 2024 8:24 PM

I felt their pain when some of the men began the descent and were postholing. I used to hike The Whites in winter and that is extremely exhausting. After doing that once, I promptly bought snowshoes.

by Anonymousreply 53February 3, 2024 8:36 PM

People still want to see small dramas. Past Lives and Holdovers were great. I turned off May December after maybe 10 minutes. Snooze. Have no interest in watching Maestro.

Society of the Snow was gripping and beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 54February 3, 2024 8:53 PM

Apparently Society of the Snow won quite a few awards today at the Goya awards in Spain. It makes me happy. The movie was excellent. It should get all the awards.

by Anonymousreply 55February 10, 2024 9:11 PM

Do they show graphic shots of the cannibalism?

by Anonymousreply 56February 10, 2024 9:17 PM

The best fare from Netflix isn't from the U.S., though sometimes a U.S. co-production with another country or other countries is excellent.

by Anonymousreply 57February 10, 2024 9:28 PM

Is nobody watching the Goya awards? Seems like Bayona is very emotional and crying a lot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58February 10, 2024 9:31 PM

Matias Recalt getting an award makes me very happy. He stood out. He was even bettter than Enzo imo, even though Numa has my heart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59February 10, 2024 9:34 PM

R67 this was 100% a Spain produced film.

by Anonymousreply 60February 10, 2024 9:48 PM

R60 the clairvoyant.

by Anonymousreply 61February 10, 2024 9:52 PM

Bayona kisses his partner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62February 11, 2024 6:14 AM

[quote] the catholic church exhumed them from any wrong doing

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 63February 19, 2024 7:34 PM

Interesting that the Catholic Church has less influence in Uruguay than in any other South American county. It is a secular society and the Church does not wield much power . It's been this way since the mid 19th Century. Uruguay has a small indigenous population and was not a focal point for Catholic missionaries. In the most recent census survey, Catholics and atheists/agnostics number about 45% of the population equally.

Loved the film. It's an intensely emotional experience with a terrific ensemble of Uruguayan and Argentine actors. Great cinematography and score.

by Anonymousreply 64February 21, 2024 4:19 AM

^ "country" not "county". I know Uruguay is tiny but it was a typo. Definitely not a slight

by Anonymousreply 65February 21, 2024 4:37 AM

R64 The score was amazing. It's by Michael Giacchino. The score was perfect for the movie, very emotional. I'm still sad it got snubbed at the Oscars. Not having an Oscar nom for this score is outrageous.

by Anonymousreply 66February 21, 2024 2:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!