Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dunne & Boyer: First & Best "Love Affair" 1939

Charles Boyer & Irene Dunne made a memorable romantic team in the first & best version of "Love Affair," from 1939. Boyer is a celebrity playboy who meets Dunne's singer on an ocean cruise. Despite the fact that they're engaged to other people, the shipboard duo can't help but fall in love. That's just the start of their obstacles. A fairytale romance for adults, beautifully done. My look at this "Love Affair."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 9, 2024 3:18 PM

Here's the best free copy of 1939's "Love Affair," on YouTube...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 8, 2024 9:16 PM

Ooh thanks! I just watched "In a Lonely Place" and wanted another old, good one.

by Anonymousreply 2January 9, 2024 3:25 AM

Alas, I’ve yet to see this one. Hopefully, that will change at some point.

I hope it’s miles better than “An Affair to Remember.” No disrespect to Deborah Kerr, but that long 5-10 minute scene of the children singing made me want to hide under the furniture by how cringey it was.

by Anonymousreply 3January 9, 2024 6:41 AM

Yeah, I do a quick comparison in my review of this original and the various remakes... It's 30 minutes shorter than the drawn out '57 version. And no Sleeping Beatty like the '94 version.

by Anonymousreply 4January 9, 2024 11:34 AM

"how cringey"

Oh, dear r3

by Anonymousreply 5January 9, 2024 11:40 AM

One of my absolute favorite films. Not a fan of the remake (An Affair to Remember) but this brings such a lightness to the melodrama. And it was the favorite of both lead actors and the director (who also made the remake.)

by Anonymousreply 6January 9, 2024 11:55 AM

Reply 6, yes, a lighter touch mixed with the melodrama, great way of putting it. Also, Maria Ouspenskaya is wonderful as the grandmother.

by Anonymousreply 7January 9, 2024 12:07 PM

"I do not like boat whistles..."

by Anonymousreply 8January 9, 2024 12:51 PM

All 3 versions (Dunne/Boyer), (Kerr/Grant) and (Bening/Beatty) give an opportunity to see three actors handle the same scene. The big "reveal" at the end.

All 3 women were fine in the ending scene(s).

Boyer and Grant made different acting choices, but both were able to convey the emotions their character was feeling in reaction to the secret that the woman has been keeping.

But Beatty is just plain awful in this scene. Awful. Awful. Awful. There is no "there" there.

The lights may be on but he's not at home. Unable to convey what was needed in this scene. And comparing him to Boyer's and Grant's take on that scene had me yelling at the screen.

Cringe.

What was revealed at the end of the B&B version is what a shit job Beatty did.

Oh, and Katharine Hepburn should have passed. She is completely wrong for the part she plays.

by Anonymousreply 9January 9, 2024 1:07 PM

Like Lucy Ricardo, I think Boyer was dreamy. Those eyes! I watch everything he did. Sadly, his sad last days were really sad. Thanks OP for posting him!

by Anonymousreply 10January 9, 2024 1:35 PM

Charles Boyer was able to convey so much with those dark, dreamy eyes!

by Anonymousreply 11January 9, 2024 1:41 PM

Sorry, but as much as I love Deborah Kerr, she plays into the melodrama at the end. Irene plays against it, laughing on the final line. As to the thrid version, the less said the better.

by Anonymousreply 12January 9, 2024 3:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!