Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mehdi Hasan Will Leave MSNBC After Network Canceled Sunday Show

“It’s been an absolute blast doing this live show on MSNBC,” Hasan told viewers during his closing remarks on his final program Sunday. “It’s been a privilege, it’s been a pleasure. But, as we begin 2024 with an election coming, a war still ongoing and too many Trump trials honestly to even keep track of … I’ve decided it’s time for me to look for a new challenge.”

Medhi is saying FU to MSNBC. He's not sticking around to become a "fill-in" anchor when someone calls in sick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 20, 2024 6:37 PM

I never liked his angry Arab schtick. To me, he was like MSNBC's answer to Tucker Carlson...except nobody watched Hasan.

by Anonymousreply 1January 8, 2024 5:32 PM

Plenty of us watch him, r1, and we're sorry to see him go.

by Anonymousreply 2January 8, 2024 5:36 PM

Medhi held Israel's feet to the fire and was a critic of Israel's barbarism intentionally killing innocent Palestinians by dropping bombs on apartment buildings and hospitals.

And now he's gone because he confronted the Jews.

R1. Hassan's hosting duties were not "schtick."

by Anonymousreply 3January 8, 2024 5:37 PM

Hasan has a history of of misogyny, antisemitism, fundamental Islamist views and he's pro-life. Why progressives embraced him, I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 4January 8, 2024 5:39 PM

Hasan has defended his anti-abortion views in print, writing "What I would like is for my fellow lefties and liberals to try to understand and respect the views of those of us who are pro-life" in an October 2012 online column for the New Statesman.[37] Hasan argued that the issue of abortion "is one of those rare political issues on which left and right seem to have swapped ideologies: right-wingers talk of equality, human rights and 'defending the innocent', while left-wingers fetishise 'choice', selfishness and unbridled individualism."

by Anonymousreply 5January 8, 2024 5:45 PM

During a sermon delivered in 2009, quoting a verse of the Quran, Hasan used the terms "cattle" and "people of no intelligence" to describe non-believers. In another sermon, he used the term "animals" to describe non-Muslims

by Anonymousreply 6January 8, 2024 5:48 PM

MSNBC was right to fire his Islamic fundamentalist ass.

by Anonymousreply 7January 8, 2024 5:57 PM

He has a face for radio anyway.

by Anonymousreply 8January 8, 2024 6:04 PM

Questionable anal hygiene.

by Anonymousreply 9January 8, 2024 6:08 PM

Very sorry to see him go. He is a master at grilling powerful people in government.

by Anonymousreply 10January 8, 2024 6:12 PM

R9, The long-awaited return of Anne L. Lingus, MD.

by Anonymousreply 11January 8, 2024 6:34 PM

Take Yasmin with you!

by Anonymousreply 12January 8, 2024 6:42 PM

R5 if you are going to copy and paste from Wikipedia, you should show it is from Wikipedia or at least remove their citation footnotes. Harvard Presidents have been fired for less.

by Anonymousreply 13January 8, 2024 8:15 PM

I loved him and will miss him. I hope he’ll turn up on Al Jazeera America.

by Anonymousreply 14January 8, 2024 8:29 PM

I’ve longed to apply frankincense and myrrh oil to his bare behind, now it appears this is never going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 15January 8, 2024 8:35 PM

R12 is Katy Tur.

by Anonymousreply 16January 8, 2024 8:56 PM

I guess the top brass at MSNBC no longer likes it when their hosts give guests tough questions and do not let them slide with non-answers or changing topics. if you want to give soft-ball questions, I'm sure CNN will have you on board.

by Anonymousreply 17January 8, 2024 9:23 PM

[quote]Hasan has defended his anti-abortion views in print, writing "What I would like is for my fellow lefties and liberals to try to understand and respect the views of those of us who are pro-life" in an October 2012 online column for the New Statesman.[37] Hasan argued that the issue of abortion "is one of those rare political issues on which left and right seem to have swapped ideologies: right-wingers talk of equality, human rights and 'defending the innocent', while left-wingers fetishise 'choice', selfishness and unbridled individualism."

So he wants to restrict women from terminating unwanted pregnancies, and presumably wants women to die rather than have doctors terminate a pregnancy resulting in a miscarriage, but he's doing it from a "leftie liberal" perspective so that's ok!

He is most famous in the UK for delivering a rant about the Daily Mail on a tv show, only for the Daily Mail editor to release a grovelling letter from Hasan asking to write for them. SURPRISE: when it comes to social issues, Hasan is a religious conservative and now he can campaign for a religious conservative via an anti Biden campaign.

Just don't let him come back to the UK, please.

by Anonymousreply 18January 8, 2024 9:31 PM

Leopard doesn't change his spots.

by Anonymousreply 19January 8, 2024 9:32 PM

Does this mean MSNBC will bring me back to anchor my weekend show?

by Anonymousreply 20January 8, 2024 9:33 PM

Zionism takes another trophy scalp

by Anonymousreply 21January 8, 2024 9:34 PM

Rashida has too many Muslim men on schedule. All Mehdi did was make up her mind which one to remainder.

by Anonymousreply 22January 8, 2024 9:38 PM

Exactly, R18. He's not a liberal at all so I don't know why so many here like him.

by Anonymousreply 23January 8, 2024 9:39 PM

R5 Yeah and what did he have to say about gay marriage too? Cause he’s made homophobic comments in the past as well.

by Anonymousreply 24January 8, 2024 9:41 PM

[quote]In old recordings that resurfaced this week but have percolated for years, Hasan compared non-Muslims and atheists to “cattle” and included “homosexuals” in a long list of behaviors and categories which he said argued were transgressive of Islam.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 8, 2024 9:45 PM

[quote]Zionism takes another trophy scalp

Boo hoo, Jew haters gonna cry sweet salty tears

by Anonymousreply 26January 8, 2024 10:00 PM

Hasan's words to the Daily Mail

[quote]Although I am on the left of the political spectrum, and disagree with the Mail’s editorial line on a range of issues, I have always admired the paper’s passion, rigour, boldness and of course, news values. I believe the Mail has a vitally important role to play in the national debate, and I admire your relentless focus on the need for integrity and morality in public life, and your outspoken defence of faith, and Christian culture, in the face of attacks from militant atheists and secularists. I also believe – as does Peter – that I could be a fresh and passionate, not to mention polemical and contrarian, voice on the comment and feature pages of your award-winning newspaper.

"Morality in public life", "defence of faith", "militant atheists"

He's a religious conservative who would be at home in the Republican party.

by Anonymousreply 27January 8, 2024 10:03 PM

I'm so happy plastic surgery nightmare who rushes through copy, Yasmin Vossoughian's sorry ass will be off hosting anything. Katy Tur is on another level, Yasmin at R16.

by Anonymousreply 28January 8, 2024 11:41 PM

This was 11 months ago

[quote] NBC's Yasmin Vossoughian opens up about why she hasn't been on air in a few weeks, telling viewers that a common cold lead into the development of Myocarditis, causing inflammation around her heart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 9, 2024 12:17 AM

R26 not all Jews are Zionists.

by Anonymousreply 30January 9, 2024 1:05 AM

Most of my Jewish friends and acquaintances in NY are moderate or secular.

by Anonymousreply 31January 9, 2024 1:13 AM

And plenty of moderate or secular Jews are Zionists.

by Anonymousreply 32January 9, 2024 1:32 AM

The majority of Jews are Zionists.

by Anonymousreply 33January 9, 2024 2:42 AM

This is the real reason they go rid of him, turns out his ratings were good all along.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 12, 2024 7:05 AM

[quote]Rashida has too many Muslim men on schedule. All Mehdi did was make up her mind which one to remainder.

Really? So when is she going to give the numerous black hosts a haircut too? Every fill in host is black lately, have you noticed? She defiantly prioritizes race over journalistic ability. Have you notice no Mexican man are allowed on that channel unless they look white? No gay men unless they are effeminate and black? How come there are no gay bear types? Body shaming issues? Certainly ok with big black woman but no men? Mehdi was one of the best on the channel.

by Anonymousreply 35January 12, 2024 7:21 AM

[quote]Hasan has a history of of misogyny, antisemitism, fundamental Islamist views and he's pro-life. Why progressives embraced him, I don't know.

Think again.

by Anonymousreply 36January 12, 2024 8:16 AM

lol the trolls at work digging up crap he said in the past and has since repudiated.

by Anonymousreply 37January 12, 2024 4:52 PM

And yes, absolutely what r3 said. The real reason he was canceled is because he asked the uncomfortable questions about Israel’s ongoing barbarity.

by Anonymousreply 38January 12, 2024 4:54 PM

THIS is what I call journalism. He paid a price as a result, unfortunately.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 12, 2024 4:56 PM

I hear he's going to volunteer in Gaza.

by Anonymousreply 40January 12, 2024 4:58 PM

I'm sure he'll end up on RT like all the other far left loons who were fired from MSNBC.

by Anonymousreply 41January 12, 2024 5:06 PM

Poor guy, needs to peddle is wares on Al Jazeera America.

by Anonymousreply 42January 12, 2024 6:03 PM

Getting rid of Mehdi is proof MSNBC has given up on real journalism. And Surprise, Surprise, Surprise, their claim that it was because of low ratings turned out to be false.

by Anonymousreply 43January 12, 2024 9:30 PM

Hilarious how many people are making this religious conservative nutjob the Walter Cronkite of MSNBC.

by Anonymousreply 44January 12, 2024 9:32 PM

Hilarious you think people under 60 even know who Walter Cronkite is.

by Anonymousreply 45January 12, 2024 9:48 PM

You think people watching MSNBC are under 60?

by Anonymousreply 46January 12, 2024 9:49 PM

Wait, so I'm confused...is he actually a Christian, or does he just side with them over Jews because Jews are pro-choice? I feel like it must be the latter, because Christians (at least the fundie types) fetishize Israel and so at least have to pay lip-service to showing solidarity with Jews (even though they secretly want to convert them all).

by Anonymousreply 47January 12, 2024 9:57 PM

R47 - Hasan’s comments on social issues are well known. How that makes him a liberal or progressive is beyond me. Islam is a deeply regressive religion where gay rights and women’s rights don’t sit easily.

But do what you and defend him by turning the subject on to republicans.

by Anonymousreply 48January 12, 2024 10:04 PM

R48 Did you mean to respond to someone else? I'm not sure how my response expressed any of the ideas you are arguing against...

by Anonymousreply 49January 12, 2024 10:19 PM

And he's back at Qatari funded Al Jazeera

by Anonymousreply 50October 20, 2024 5:46 PM

I want to hate fuck him then throw him off the roof.

by Anonymousreply 51October 20, 2024 6:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!