Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

British TV chat, 2024

We haven't had a thread to talk broadly about British shows and/or the PBS or Britbox viewings of them in the US for a while.

Starting off with something that apparently happened a few months ago....the sexy guy that played Spiros on The Durrells has been ACCUSED! of sexual harassment/assault/rape. (He was serving as a rep in EU parliament.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39February 23, 2024 6:24 PM

This looks interesting

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 2, 2024 2:34 AM

NOT GUILTY

by Anonymousreply 2January 2, 2024 4:23 AM

Alexis G almost made Keeley Hawes tolerable and sexy. He's a miracle worker!

by Anonymousreply 3January 2, 2024 4:30 AM

Two of the best shows I've seen in years -- Broken and Time. Both star Sean Bean playing, in both, a dejected, middle-aged, slightly overweight sensitive soul, and he is terrific in both shows. Both are downers but beautifully written, directed, and acted.

by Anonymousreply 4January 2, 2024 5:21 AM

is there anything else as funny as peep show?

by Anonymousreply 5January 2, 2024 5:23 AM

I’ve been watching “Industry” which is filming a third season.

It seems a third investment bank office politics, a third promiscuous sex (all the young actors get nude) and a third drug taking and partying.

There is a gay guy, black guy who tops a white guy in a rather unsexy scene (the white guy is screaming something like fvck my white pvssy). The black guy is nerdy and his story doesn’t seem as compelling. I feel sorry for the actor because he doesn’t seem to be given much to work with.

Season 1 has the working class guy strip fully naked and do full frontal.

It seems the writers put most of their effort into the two women characters: a smart ambitious black woman (who they show too many times having sex) and a rich girl trying to fit in.

I don’t know about straight men sexually, but every straight man in this show gives oral to the women. It’s like it’s a law that that point has to be written into every straight sex scene.

by Anonymousreply 6February 10, 2024 4:38 PM

Mr.Bates is very good, and you get a dose of the lovely Julie Hesmondhalgh out of the deal. Some excellent acting all around, and Will Mellor's easy in the eyes.

by Anonymousreply 7February 10, 2024 4:41 PM

[quote]Will Mellor's easy in the eyes.

I have loved Will Mellor for years. He’s delicious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 10, 2024 4:53 PM

Has anyone watched Hotel Portofino?

It's a few years old. But I've just learned about it and it has Mark Umbers in it so I may watch it.....

by Anonymousreply 9February 14, 2024 8:30 PM

R9... it's not very good, but not awful. Recycles every plot and character from pretty much every period costume drama of the last ten or twenty years. Some straining colour blind casting. But it's watchable, for the scenery alone.

by Anonymousreply 10February 14, 2024 8:32 PM

I concur with R10, R9, it’s not great but beautiful photography, and apart from Umbers, Judy Dench’s great nephew Oliver Dench has peachy skin, bright green eyes and a fantastic ass and thighs, which are invariably busting out of his thin, summer-weight pants.

Also, season 2 ended with a surprisingly tough few scenes, the emotional wreckage goes up exponentially. And they got themselves out of some dead ends (plot and character-wise) clearing the decks for what is to come. So I suspect the writers/show runners feel more confident about the series having a future, and I’m hoping it continues to get sharper and generally better next season. Plus there is Ollie’s ass and legs.

So, yeah, watch it.

by Anonymousreply 11February 14, 2024 9:16 PM

Thanks r10 and r11.

I thought it was a bit like The Durrells - lightweight and pretty things to look at....so I'll give it a watch

by Anonymousreply 12February 14, 2024 9:21 PM

The Durrells was better, IMO, because it identified and embraced a goofy, comedic approach that worked. Portofino fancies itself a drama.

by Anonymousreply 13February 14, 2024 9:23 PM

Yeah, “The Durrells” was better written and better acted, but give “Hotel Portofino” a chance.

by Anonymousreply 14February 14, 2024 9:40 PM

[quote] Has anyone watched Hotel Portofino?

It's best when you watch it with the sound off. Beautiful scenery, storylines are stupid.

by Anonymousreply 15February 14, 2024 9:43 PM

[quote] is there anything else as funny as peep show?

R5, have you ever seen The Smoking Room? It’s very old now, but one of my favourites. It’s largely forgotten now, sadly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 14, 2024 9:54 PM

R16 This is the first I've heard of it. It's very funny!

by Anonymousreply 17February 14, 2024 10:16 PM

I miss Sean Lock!!!

The Tiger who Came for A Pint

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 14, 2024 11:11 PM

I wish BritBox would unclench its grip on QI, a show I adore. But I'm not paying for another streaming service just to watch it. (Yes, some episodes show up on YouTube, but the quality is usually crap.) BritBox also has Twenty Twelve and W1A, sigh...

I was meh... about Funny Woman, recently on PBS, but, whew, Tom Bateman was good-looking in it.

by Anonymousreply 19February 14, 2024 11:32 PM

That he is

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 15, 2024 3:52 AM

I loved “The Smoking Room. On PBS in NYC it had the old “Monty Python” slot — Sunday nights at 10:30. But there was only one season, no?

by Anonymousreply 21February 15, 2024 3:59 AM

And I had such a thing for Robert Webb starting on “Peep Show” through “Smoking Room.” Is he still working? How does he look?

by Anonymousreply 22February 15, 2024 4:01 AM

R21 Two seasons of 'The Smoking Room'. Also a Christmas special. I read that they were going to make a third but by that time smoking rooms were unlawful in the UK so that was that.

by Anonymousreply 23February 15, 2024 2:19 PM

Has anyone been watching FUNNY WOMAN on PBS Sunday nights? Not in love with it but admire its ambition in recreating the period of British tv in the early 60s. I feel like it tried to take on too much, too many issues, too many characters, but a lot of it was fun.

And I LOVE sexy Tom Bateman!

Was Gemma Arterton a star in the UK before this series?

by Anonymousreply 24February 15, 2024 2:25 PM

All I know about Gemma is that she was one of a long line of names attached to the Dusty Springfield bio movie that will likely never get made.

by Anonymousreply 25February 15, 2024 2:29 PM

Currently watching "Paranoid" and now I'm beginning to understand the Dino Fetscher love here. He truly is captivatingly gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 26February 15, 2024 2:39 PM

I love all you bitches, but for the love of cock, please share a photo when possible.

Dino

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27February 15, 2024 2:42 PM

Robert Webb is full frontal nude in the movie Confetti. Unfortunately you also have to look at Olivia Colman’s sad tits as she plays his wife.

by Anonymousreply 28February 15, 2024 2:42 PM

R22 is this your Robert Webb?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29February 15, 2024 2:43 PM

Also in Funny Woman is Matthew Beard, who plays the lead in the excellent series Vienna Blood.

by Anonymousreply 30February 15, 2024 2:45 PM

Matthew Beard was also great in his 2 roles in MAGPIE MURDERS. He must be gay?

by Anonymousreply 31February 15, 2024 3:41 PM

Rupert Everett is actually quite good in Funny Woman. He sheds his signature posh boy shtick.

by Anonymousreply 32February 16, 2024 1:44 AM

Hard to tell with Rupert Everett how much of that look is him and how much is costuming/wigging/prosthetics, etc.

by Anonymousreply 33February 16, 2024 2:15 AM

R 12: Yes, that is he. Hadn’t kept up with his work let alone his health problems. “Strictly Come Dancing” doesn’t sound like it was a great idea. He look okay withiut clothes, though.

by Anonymousreply 34February 16, 2024 4:32 AM

hmm. I do like Call The Midwife....but not enough to give my PBS station extra money to see it early

by Anonymousreply 35February 21, 2024 9:36 PM

I was watching the series Stath Lets Flat. I don't get why this ran for three seasons. It's one joke running over and over. Jamie Demetriou and his sister are the stupidest characters on tv.

Brit tv: do better.

by Anonymousreply 36February 21, 2024 9:41 PM

I've been working my way through Ghosts (UK) S4 and watched the Christmas episode last night. Why am I crying?! Damn you, show! I know it ends with S5, which may cause another tear or two, but the show holds up to rewatching, so there's that.

R36: Agreed, Stath is pretty much a one-joke cringe show, but Nastasia Demetriou is hilarious on What We Do in the Shadows, a much more layered show.

by Anonymousreply 37February 22, 2024 9:37 PM

[quote]I've been working my way through Ghosts (UK)

I was a bit disappointed in the way they ended the series. There is an episode about one or two before the actual finale that would have made a great ending to the show.

by Anonymousreply 38February 22, 2024 9:42 PM

I’m now watching Becoming Elizabeth. They had dirty mouths back then. The number of times they use the F word is shocking.

However, it does show the drawback of believing that some people are better than others just because of birth.

by Anonymousreply 39February 23, 2024 6:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!