Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

My Favorite Year (1982)

I watched My Favorite Year for the first time last night. It was actually hysterically funny! The film follows a young writer who becomes the handler of an actor who is a notorious alcoholic.

Directed by Richard Benjamin

Written by Norman Steinberg and Dennis Palumbo

Starring PETER O'TOOLE, Mark Linn-Baker, Jessica Harper, Joseph Bologna, Bill Macy, Anne De Salvo, Basil Hoffman, Adolph Green, Lainie Kazan, Cameron Mitchell, and SELMA DIAMOND.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 31, 2023 8:40 PM

It is My Favorite Year!

by Anonymousreply 1December 30, 2023 3:12 PM

Most of the film is based on real life stories and people:

Peter O'Toole's Alan Swain was based on Erol Flynn.

The show is based on Your Show of Shows, starring Sid Caesar and Imogene Cocoa. The writing staff included Carl Reiner, Mel Brooks, Neil Simon, Woody Allen, and, of course, Selma Diamond.

by Anonymousreply 2December 30, 2023 3:14 PM

This was on HBO nonstop in the early to mid 80s. I haven't seen it since then when I was a kid. Maybe it's time to watch it again!

by Anonymousreply 3December 30, 2023 3:15 PM

I've always wanted to see the musical version, but since it was such a flop, I guess it's rarely performed.

by Anonymousreply 4December 30, 2023 3:18 PM

R3 I rented it for $2 on Amazon last night. Also here is a link to watch for free:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 30, 2023 3:20 PM

[quote] O'Toole was interviewed at least three times by Charlie Rose on his eponymous talk show. In a 17 January 2007 interview, O'Toole stated that British actor Eric Porter had most influenced him, adding that the difference between actors of yesterday and today is that actors of his generation were trained for "theatre, theatre, theatre". He also believes that the challenge for the actor is "to use his imagination to link to his emotion" and that "good parts make good actors". However, in other venues (including the DVD commentary for Becket), O'Toole credited Donald Wolfit as being his most important mentor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 30, 2023 3:32 PM

I ADORED the musical version every bit as much as I do the film.

The movie is just a hoot. A perfect movie. O’Toole gives a dashing, glorious performance (for which he was nominated for an Oscar). It’s a charming flick.

The musical lacked O’Toole. On paper, Tim Curry was ideal — but he was a bit heavy and hammy in the role. He really weighed down the whole operation. A pretty big flaw. Should have been Robert Lindsey.

And the lead was cloying AF. You can hear some of his performance on the cast

I think the problems were those individual performances. Those two fatal flaws aside, the rest of the show was aces. Both Andrea Martin (breathtakingly funny) and Lainie Kazan (recreating her role from the movie — she was PERFECTION)) were nominated as featured actress. Martin won!

It’s also my favorite Aherns and Flaherty score (not a fan of Aherns’ work or her (lack of) personality. But that team was firing on all cylinders.

It’s due an Encores! presentation. And a better cast revival.

It’s due a pp

by Anonymousreply 7December 30, 2023 3:35 PM

[quote] Martin won!

No? Really? Link please.

by Anonymousreply 8December 30, 2023 3:53 PM

nominations listed below link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 30, 2023 3:57 PM

Broadway musical awards listed link below

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 30, 2023 3:59 PM

OP, thank you for reminding me of this nearly perfect movie.

by Anonymousreply 11December 30, 2023 4:01 PM

I would like to welcome you to our humble chapeau!

by Anonymousreply 12December 30, 2023 4:06 PM

press reel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 30, 2023 4:07 PM

It's a great movie. For All My Children fans - a young Cady McClain plays O'Toole's daughter.

The ending always reminds me of the ending of It's Always Fair Weather.

by Anonymousreply 14December 30, 2023 4:59 PM

[quote] For All My Children fans - a young Cady McClain plays O'Toole's daughter.

Is there anything in this O’TOOLe film for DOOL fans?

by Anonymousreply 15December 30, 2023 5:11 PM

Here you go, R8

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 30, 2023 9:44 PM

[quote]Imogene Cocoa

Oh DEAR, R2

by Anonymousreply 17December 30, 2023 10:25 PM

R17 sorry, typo

by Anonymousreply 18December 30, 2023 10:45 PM

It’s a perfect film. What a great performance by Peter O’Toole.

by Anonymousreply 19December 30, 2023 11:51 PM

Thank you so much, R16!

by Anonymousreply 20December 31, 2023 12:19 AM

Selma

by Anonymousreply 21December 31, 2023 12:20 AM

Lainie Kazan!!!

by Anonymousreply 22December 31, 2023 12:28 AM

Rookie Carroca!

by Anonymousreply 23December 31, 2023 2:27 AM

Oh my God - Peter O'Toole was only 50 in this film??!

by Anonymousreply 24December 31, 2023 2:34 AM

On behalf of everyone here, I would like to welcome you to our humble chapeau. ——Lainie Kazan

by Anonymousreply 25December 31, 2023 2:35 AM

R25, are you also R12?

by Anonymousreply 26December 31, 2023 2:38 AM

"Of course he's beneath us, he's an actor."

by Anonymousreply 27December 31, 2023 2:40 AM

Alan Swann: Are you still in the fight game?

Rookie Carroca: In a way. I married Benjy's mother.

I love this film! So many great lines.

by Anonymousreply 28December 31, 2023 7:22 PM

And the title itself is a great line.

by Anonymousreply 29December 31, 2023 8:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!