Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Michelle Phillips interviewed in Spanish

I didn't realize DL fave Mama Michelle spoke it, or that it was her first written language. She lapses into English on a couple of occasions and has to ask the interviewers for the correct words, but overall she speaks it quite nicely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 29, 2023 7:21 PM

Michelle Phillips is totally awesome!!

She has the best stories from 1965 on about LA!!

by Anonymousreply 1December 29, 2023 3:18 AM

Michee Phillips!!

by Anonymousreply 2December 29, 2023 3:26 AM

Interesting childhood.

[QUOTE]In June 1951, two days after Phillips's seventh birthday, the family relocated again to Mexico City, where her father had enrolled to study sociology on the GI Bill at Mexico City College.[13] Phillips spent the following six years in Mexico, where she attended public schools and became fluent in Spanish.[14] Throughout her childhood, Spanish remained Phillips's primary written language, though she later learned to write in English.[15]

by Anonymousreply 3December 29, 2023 3:36 AM

I read her autobiography and John's back to back when they were first released. Damned if they didn't back each other up in their stories! She was very up front about what (and who) she did, and took the blame for things she considered to be her fault. She didn't bash anyone (that I can recall). Great book if you want to live vicariously through those turbulent years.

by Anonymousreply 4December 29, 2023 3:41 AM

Anne Matheson!!!

by Anonymousreply 5December 29, 2023 3:46 AM

Michelle has always been an intelligent and worldly woman. She is a lot more sophisticated than people give her credit for. I think people often failed to recognize this because she registered as your typical blonde Californian bimbo.

by Anonymousreply 6December 29, 2023 3:49 AM

Unfortunately, her daughter registers as a typical California bimbo because she is.

by Anonymousreply 7December 29, 2023 4:05 AM

Hmmmm, she's no Hilaria Baldwin

by Anonymousreply 8December 29, 2023 5:19 AM

R7 sad but true

by Anonymousreply 9December 29, 2023 3:17 PM

The only reason I respect Ben Affleck is that I've seen him on Univision speaking perfect Spanish. Gracias op

by Anonymousreply 10December 29, 2023 3:23 PM

She sure went on an incredible ride with very little talent aside from being great looking. She does seem to be smart and very sane- an accomplishment considering all the insanity around her.

by Anonymousreply 11December 29, 2023 3:32 PM

Don't know why people keep knocking Michelle's talent. She had (has?) a decent soprano voice that blended tightly with the other voices in the group. Do you know how hard that actually is? So many sopranos are shrill, or stick out. They so often carry the melody that they seldom learn to blend. Michelle Phillips could blend her voice so that you didn't notice her -and that's a good thing! She also proved herself to be a competent actress -not an Oscar winner, but never an embarrassment, unlike so many pretty blondes of the day.

She may have been the "least" of The Mamas and the Papas, but that's like being the "least" of the Beatles, or least-wealthy person in the billionaire's club.

by Anonymousreply 12December 29, 2023 5:08 PM

R12 agreed. All of their songs wouldn't be the same if you took Michelle's voice out of them. Cass and Denny were the real powerhouse vocalists who could belt, but, as you said, Michelle had a very light and airy soprano that mixed well with others. I don't know if that speaks to her being more or less talented, but she is all over those songs and was an important contributor.

by Anonymousreply 13December 29, 2023 5:27 PM

Good heavens she has a real face untouched by horrible plastic surgery! She's a unicorn! Always loved her and she was fabulous on Knott's Landing.

by Anonymousreply 14December 29, 2023 7:10 PM

r4 I read her book, also - I agree, it was a great read.

by Anonymousreply 15December 29, 2023 7:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!